the Rift

[OPEN] what keeps us warm {STORYTELLING}

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Flames licked playfully into the air beneath the emerald gaze of their tender, of whom smiled upon them as if the element was but a child seeking the attention of its mother. Duty was not seen as such to the young Diviner, his love for his Lord and reverence for the Shrine dedicated to their patron led to spending most of his days in its company. He was not called upon to advise his leaders, and had few friends of his own, fewer still that resided in his homeland. Time was not wasted in any other fashion, and more often than not the son of Midas was found kneeling in quiet prayer before the Shrine. Ilaria liked to joke that soon he would create an indentation of his presence, forever inscribed upon the sand for others to kneel in his place. Cera did not feel heckled in the least at this prospect, and found it rather inspirational if it were ever to be possible.

Despite having sparse contact with those he so often helped on the path of life, often abandoned after he had imparted his wisdom upon them, Cera held nothing but love and kindness in his heart for those that dwelled in the desert he'd been born and raised in. He knew he would recall all the names and faces of those he'd encountered, but his numbers could never be too high when it came to those he knew in the herdland.

May this meeting inspire a flame in the hearts of those who come to hear your voice through me, my Lord.

Ilaria came to his side as he stood, clinging to his shoulders within moments as the youth headed out away from the crackling heat of the shrine. The duo knew what plans they had for that dwindling evening. One task they had yet to complete as a team was the duty to spread the lore and history of the land, the Gods, to the citizens of the Throat. It was not in Cera's nature to leave things unfinished or do things half-heartedly, and he would not abandon his duties out of laziness or a lack of confidence in what he would share with his fellows. Despite having been raised nearly in the presence of the Gods themselves with his ties to the Earth and Sun patrons, he doubted his own words, even with experience to tide them.

The Oasis was fitting, for not only was it well-traveled but it offered shade and hydration should his story go on too long for those witnessing it. Cera prayed that a decent fold would show, if only to prove that he would not abandon them no matter how they may view him strangely for his young age and Diviner position combination. Lifting his head to the skies he called for them, throat vibrating with the tension of his song as he beckons them, with waiting wings and an eager mind desiring their presence. When his lungs had been seeped of air and the echoes thundered across the sands, the young Diviner let his knees fall and bend before the pool, angel wings shuffling in a cascade of downy feathers to his sides. Now, it was time to wait.

WISE</style>
Knowledge is the key to all things.</style>

image by mandj98 @ flickr.com
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer
Kari

Frail and thin, the gangly legs of the horned, winged colt fumbled through the undergrowth.

The flimsy arms of ferns reached across his aimless path, and strange vine draped cunningly between copses, sought to trip him constantly. Ack... knees buckled against the grip of the unyielding Pipe’s string and his small mass flung forward heavily into the gravelly sand below. The length of brittle horn he’d been carrying between delicately clasped teeth, flew from his grip, and snapped again when it struck the golden-like, rock-strewn loam ahead. Helpless eyes followed it, wincing grimly as it broke. Luckily, the other still perched safely atop his brow.

"You are just so annoying!" he scolded bitterly, meek voice straining as frustration flooded the air. Kari scrambled to his hooves, turning to bite frantically at the plant now swinging casually in jest, with small wings thrust open. "See!" he spat, moving still further to trample each severed end lying limp to the side. "...that’s just what happens when you toy with me, when you break my things." Little chest puffed angrily, short neck propped high upon meagre rolling shoulders, and the colt felt well satisfied with the beating he’d so appropriately given.

He was tiring of the relentless heat here (then horribly cold nights!). Even though the shade he traipsed beneath was fair, there just seemed to be no respite aside from swimming- and Kari’s flaking skin itched terribly, having dried out so much because of this. Flustered, he abandoned the ruined vine (his shattered horn), and continued on his way towards the lake. He’d had little luck on his quest to find Shadow, and every day hungry without her, increased his resentment; confusion and loneliness. He found little comfort in the company of those well meaning souls of this arid graveyard (harsh, considering the loveliness of the oasis he’d spent most of his time lounging in), and thus found himself avoiding them mostly, slipping along these small-animal tracks that no other was really little enough to find.

Kari felt empty, though he was too young perhaps still to comprehend it.

Ahead the surface of the lake glistened and winked- laughing at me, he thought sullenly, already bothered, sweeping the pursuing haze of flies away with a flick of his long, silk adorned tail. The sun was setting already, and a dim shadow was growing all around him.

Another day wasted... His heart sank a little and he sighed.

Suddenly there was a blurred movement ahead, blocking out his view of the water, if only for part of a second. Blue pools widened suspiciously and he crouched in place, quite like a rabbit in waiting. The call purged by the stallion’s lungs shook his slight frame, resonated through the deepening darkness of the sky above, and Kari felt horribly obliged to emerge. As the painted stranger’s knees folded beneath him, the colt stepped timorously from his cover. "Who are you?" he asked carefully, turning one narrowed eye to examine his fallen company.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit
Ryuu

Momma says I should try and get out more. I don't really understand what I have to get out of, I'm not really stuck in anything, but she explained to me that she wants me to start making friends. Meeting people. I trust momma more than anything...but I'm scared to do what she says I should. In the Edge, the only one I had was Annie, and it had been in the stolen moments when she wasn't chasing after Aurelia trying to win her love. Aurelia hadn't spared me so much as a word or a second glance since I had been born, and I had stopped vying for her attention soon after. Annie hadn't. In a lot of ways I envied her, for having that kind of loyalty for our birth mother. But I knew momma treated me far better than anyone else ever could. I was her spitting image, nobody questioned us when they found out she was my momma, and it stirred a warmth in my belly every time.

I finally had somewhere I belonged, even if it was only at momma's side.

The only other soul I knew was Cera, he was really nice and always visited me and momma. It took a while before I began to trust him. I'd been abandoned and hurt too deeply to trust him too soon. But he seemed to understand, and soon he was the only person aside from momma I was okay being alone with. Illy the red panda was my other best friend, and Cera would let her stay with me when he went off on trips, and we played together when he and momma visited together. So when I heard his voice calling out across the sand, I lifted my head and turned in the direction it came from.

Turning to look at Momma with uncertainty, knowing he wasn't calling just for me or he would have come directly to me, I hesitated. Momma smiled, bright and beautiful as the sun and as soft and warm as Illy's fur, and she gently touched her muzzle to my flank. Prodding me towards Cera's voice with an encouraging look. I didn't talk much, and sometimes I wondered if I rubbed off on momma, because we never seemed to need words when we were together. Was it bad? But momma wanted me to meet new people, and while I would be more confident and a lot happier if I were to meet anybody else with momma at my side, Cera was a good substitute for her comforting presence.

Wobbling off on aching hooves, it took me a lot longer to arrive than the other colt seemed to. The sand hurt me more than any other terrain, so I sank to my knees close to Cera in silence to relieve the agony that was building the longer I stayed standing. Illy padded over to me and hugged my face with her short little pawed arms, and I blew warm air over her belly playfully. Releasing me, she curled up behind my elbow, and I quietly observed the other colt. I wanted to ask what his name was, but I was scared to. But momma wanted me to make friends...swallowing hard, I squeaked out to the other colt, voice trembling and eyes scared, trying to be brave. "H-Hi...what's your name?" Mismatched eyes flickered to Cera uncertainly only to receive a kindly smile, and I tried to summon the rest of my courage as I looked back towards the hybrid child.

leave me your stardust to remember you by
Image Credit

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
As evening bruised the sky above the warm desert, and shadows began to lengthen through the oasis Africa was settling herself to perform the last of a list of light duties she’d not been able to finish the night before. Every evening also, before darkness fell entirely, she made a point to check on the orphans who had come to dwell by the safety her family offered, and bid them good night. That was her first focus naturally, though as she slipped with quiet footfalls along the worn track through her home to find them, the call of the Diviner flooded her ears. As much as she did not expect the note of his voice, it was more than welcome, and the Starry-Eyed happily abandoned her undertaking to answer.

Her direction shifted towards the lake, and careful, beige hooves guided her from the gravel path to find a quicker route between lush copses. Thoughts flicked towards her leather-winged lover, fond though confused, and she wondered where he was this night; pale, pensive gaze wandering for a second to peer between the softly rustling foliage to find the pale face of the moon (who so often brought them together). Though this piece of paradise was cosy and quite intimate, it seemed that days could pass between their meetings, and despite the lingering, budding seed of doubt in her mind, Africa missed him considerably. Whenever they were together, Silk stirred in her addictive, intoxicating longing; excitement that she barely knew how to respond to; how to contain. So she craved it obliviously, and looked forward to the next time they would run into each other.

As she strolled towards the little gathered group by the shore of the lake though, her mind cleared. Pastel-yellow eyes greeted each of the colts with warmth and compassion, and she smiled at Cera thoughtfully; one who she knew fitted perfectly into the role which she had loved, but had been so less adept in. “Evening...” she whispered, respecting the calm ambience surrounding them. The Starry-Eyed noticed easily that their Diviner was resting across folded knees and settled herself in like fashion by Kari, who stood watching still, upon scrawny legs. “Kari, won’t you lie with me?” Tenderly her nose lifted towards the hybrid colt, guiding his unusually small frame down to lean against silken cloth; against the rise and fall of her barrel if he wished.

Image | Table by Silk