the Rift

[OPEN] Walking on air

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

100%

It was early, still before winking starlight had faded into the seeping blue hue of dawn, and Hector was swooping through the final leg of a vigorous training session. Though the tranquil air suspended above the desert was bitterly cold and dry, sweat streamed of the stallion’s rippling hide as grand proof of his effort; a reminder that without exertion, there was no gain. Vivid tangerine gaze was fixed right ahead, unwavering and determined. A challenge had been extended to him from those haughty peers who thought themselves to be of finer quality (healthy competition and goading was always such good motivation), and he’d committed wholeheartedly.

The cliffs to the west of the Throat, rugged and lashed constantly by violent waves loomed in view. Their shadow was black against the shimmering starlight, and Hector lunged still harder towards them. He was going to cross the angry inlet between the Veins of the Gods peninsula and the desert cape. As he breached the edge of the land, a rush of cold wind swept upwards from the churning, frothing soup below and the mass of his body rocked unsteadily, forcing him to climb; to find the slower thermals which would hopefully cushion the journey. It was not as straightforward as he’d anticipated, and for a long while he was floundering midair, unable to progress against the howling, bitter squall, unable to even balance himself above the ocean.

When at last he’d lifted enough, the highway of the sky swallowed him into a more comfortable rhythm, effort more maintainable; and he sighed heavily, turning only to find the company of darkness following, watching. He could not see the Veins, but he trusted it would not be nearly as far away as Threshold.

He was startled by the gruelling hour it actually took, and promised himself not to bother trying this hazardous route again. By that time, dawn had well and truly graced the heavens and the strange blue lava seemed to glow as his eager gaze scrambled across it; but it was not the familiar terrain bedding the shrines that drew his interest. Above him, a great island perched atop cloud had materialised, and astonished, he could not help but stare. Naturally he thought to investigate it, and though utterly exhausted, the driven stallion thrust down the weary span of his wings to ascend once again, higher and higher.

Hooves trailed through the wispy cloud, and he angled himself to land, heart thundering; confusion throbbing through his core. Veci too was captivated, sailing along, absorbing eagerly the phenomenon before them and slipped ahead of his bonded to scout the valley which welcomed them down. Hector landed with a dramatic thud across the soft green carpet, knees wanting only to buckle and fold beneath his falling bulk- but he urged on, staggering forward, until the momentum of the landing eased and he fell into motionless awe. Incredibly, there seemed to be a village of sorts nestled between the lush hills and Hector made quickly towards it, unable to resist the temptation to investigate.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Serenity
Feel the wind pass through my body, I am one with your soul...

So, maybe she did not have to fly all the way back to the Dragon's Throat after all! Just as she had been leaving the small village and the tent with the metal spears in its foyer, she spied a familiar pegasus, one she had only seen from afar in her new home. Though perhaps unwise, she felt an immediate and trusting kinship with the family in her home, especially Dalibor who had brought her this comfort. He was like the brother she never had, and if this stallion was anything like him, then she would like him immediately.

Serenity let out a call, her strong, feminine tones carrying on the wind high above the earth. Okay, so she did not know his name and she had never actually met him before, but she recognized him. That was not crazy, right? The star kissed mare trotted forward to meet the red pegasus, surprised to see that he had horns too. Wait...

She eyed him warily, too condition by the wickedness of the unicorns in her home to fully trust this. Why did he have horns? But at least he was of the Throat, right? He couldn't be like them... He would not drag her back to that awful place. Realizing that her behavior could be seen as wildly erratic, she paused, looking up at him with her hawkish, golden eyes and tucking her wings to her sides. He looked almost as exhausted as she did.

"I am Serenity, from the Dragon's Throat," she introduced. The mare bowed her head politely. "I am so glad that you found this place. I was just about to fly back and report." She smiled, the expression on her face full of life, rid of the inner chains of doubt and pain.

"Come! There is a tent, and I think it is for our herd. There is even a small oasis..." Excitedly, she turned on her heel and trotted toward the middle, past an arena of sorts and to an elegant tent. "See?"

I-mi @ Da

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

100%

Freckled so delicately with star-glitter (practically), and accented by the contrasting tones of both night and day, the approaching picture of exquisite femininity inundated his awareness. For a moment, the world around them seemed to pause. The confident note of her voice splayed through the wind ahead of her swift-tread, and in true Pegasus fashion Hector welcomed her forward with half-lifted wings and a bared throat, nostrils rattling softly all the while. He’d seen her only a couple of times in passing during patrols, but was yet to find the opportunity to introduce himself. A charming smile seeped into his expression, fading out both the growing curiosity and unavoidable bewilderment stemming from his discovery of the floating landscape.

Her poise appeared to waver though when she neared him and the soldier’s fiery-red gaze narrowed beneath fluttering copper lashes; he was hesitating with her, unsure what had caused such a sweet-looking demeanour to swing so unexpectedly! Gold-speckled wings closed rapidly against his thick barrel, and the sinew lurking beneath the glossy rust hue of his coat rippled with caution. Hector lowered his great skull, dipping it as Serenity did, and the two dull ivory horns upon it sank to a friendly height near level to his withers. Silken tresses the same wash as his coat rippled playfully as the wind rushed by.

"Hector. Also from the Throat," he followed promptly (officially as was his training), and then she spoke again. Almost as suddenly as the doubt had leaked into her expression, it seemed to vanish, and the soldier offered again his smile; though this time it was softer, considerate, and without the vain attraction before felt. Her effervescence was quite contagious, and his ears danced to the rhythm of words, inspired, excited. He let himself be lead forward, her enthusiasm tickling his interest, and as they passed by the arena on the way, whispered, "This is all very bizarre!" Veci drifted off to the side, curling his invisible body around the fence post combed by the wandering eye of his bonded; the mischievous Boggart was just as intrigued.

They came to the tent Serenity had mentioned, and Hector paused before it, one hoof hanging suspended above sand. Like home! he marvelled. There were spears to either side, warlike, iron perhaps, like the wall which had once marked the Throat’s borderline. "Wow," he began quietly, stunned somewhat, "do you suppose our God has made this?" Wide eyes turned to the mare and thoughtfulness pooled within them. The God of the Sun, he knew now, favoured beauty- and this was all gloriously so.

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Serenity
Feel the wind pass through my body, I am one with your soul...

The way he spread his wings, head proud, was intimidating, and she much preferred the stance he took with lowered head and wings settled at his sides. Serenity took a deep breath. Though the smile he had worn was handsome and charming, she could not help but think of the wickedness that had held her captive when she was younger, especially coupled with the horns on his head. But, he sobered as her mood swung, her countenance jumping here and there with wild assumptions based on horrifying history.

She took a deep breath as he introduced himself, and he looked much less imposing now with the wind blowing his hair about his face. "Well met, Hector," she replied softly, pleased to be a part of something greater than herself and pleased to meet someone else who was a part of that something too. Finally, confident enough to speak again, she excitedly walked him toward what she had found, looking forward to doing something good for once.

When they arrived, Serenity smiled widely, observing everything around them for the second time. She gained new insight on her second visit, noticing the luxury of the tent and the coolness of the oasis. The star kissed mare watched as he seemed to hesitate, and his questions caught her off guard. The herd had gods? There were gods here? What were they like? This was certainly news.

"I did not know our herd had a god," she replied, curious. "What is he like? Do you think he made this, then? I wouldn't know..." She looked up at Hector with a certain innocence, but behind the light and beauty in her eyes lay a deep sadness that flickered every now and then when the light dimmed.

I-mi @ Da

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

100%

The metal was cold, hard, fierce, as he ran steady lips along the vertical length.

The ores well hidden beneath the golden-red crust of their home had struck his fancy lately, though the prospect of leaving his soldier’s post to pursue that interest was utterly bemusing; the thought of abandoning that which had all but become his life, made nerves beneath his glossy copper coat squirm uncomfortably. Only very recently Hector had been given the privilege of conversing directly with the God of the Sun about the direction of his life, and though few answers had yet been given, the stallion had found courage enough to push through reservations and fulfil the duty still set about his shoulders.

Soft, tender breath caressed the spear as he sighed deeply, and turned distant, tangerine-tinged eyes back towards Serenity.

The pretty, star-glitter mare was gazing up at him. Her quiet golden eyes, when he found them with a softening expression, portrayed feeble innocence that he found unsettling. It stirred protectiveness through his core, a furious desire to defend family; to protect her from the cruelty of the world below their hooves. Cupped, downy ears pricked to the tune of her curious, soft voice and Hector‘s twice-horned skull tilted responsively, lips drawing a thoughtful smile around its tapering end. "Well..." He stumbled, taken aback by the barrage of questions- not a well practiced spokesman by any stretch of the imagination.

"The God of the Sun made Dragon’s Throat." He informed her carefully, hoping wholeheartedly that his understanding had not somewhere along the line been skewed. It was only during the reign of the Gallant and the Wildfire that He had been truly revered as patron of their home, of the desert, but the acknowledgement had been long overdue. "He’s a handsome God, wise and generous. It’s bold of me to assume that He created this island... but how else?"

As they stood alone by the tent, basking in the warmth of familiar desert heat (yet oh so far from home), the giant watched her in contemplative silence, and a thought struck him. "Would you like to meet him?" In the very near future, Hector would be visiting the shrine of the Lord he so admired. He needed enlightenment, guidance, because he had, despite the coat of bravado he wore across his back, unfortunately lost his way. Another bold assumption- that the God would show himself twice in as many weeks...