the Rift

First born son [Tamlin, Mauja, Herd]

Lotus Posts: 31
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 :: 3
Whit
Lotus
If someone were to ask me what the worst thing about being pregnant was, I am not sure how I would answer them. Surely parturition would be considered the best thing about a pregnancy, since it defines the end of the time period that one must carry a heavy, awkward creature within their womb. What they never mention is the pain that is involved in this. I have seen mares give birth, I have aided them. I can sense when the time is nearing in others, so it makes sense that I know it is soon for myself. My limbs never stop walking, the steady rocking of my belly encourages the foal to shift itself into the correct position. Pain from this movement, as it nudges against ribs and other organs beneath my skin, causes me to grind my teeth, and swish my tail, but otherwise I merely trudge onwards, wearing a thin path between trees as I pace back and forth.

The cramps begin then, my hindlegs kick at the stomach out of irritation, ears swivelling so that they lay against my nape for a time. It does not last, I remind myself, and continue walking. Dirk is not upon my back this evening, he watches from a perch atop a fallen tree, his curious, mismatched eyes unsure of how to take in the scene of his bonded being in such pain.

Suddenly, I am forced to come to a stop, as a wet sensation trickles down my legs. With a snort and a grunt, I make my way to the sheltered, wooded nook of our home, allowing the trees to swallow me up so that I might give birth with some chance of safety. I send a call out to my herd, by the time they arrive, the newest addition will already be standing.

* * ~ * *

Sweat coats my hide, but I do not care. Call me weak, but as I gaze over his strong, sturdy form, I feel pride bloat my ego. My tongue runs over his charred fur, pressing the dampness from him. The snowy blanket upon his rump is a clear signature from his father. I nod in approval, thoughts forgotten of my previous doubt should I birth a colt. No, now all shall know that it was I who have control of our King, I who can bend him to my will. Here, my son stands as proof that my blood is better spent on reproducing, on filling the Edge up with warriors who would fight for us, defend us. I stand, my legs surprisingly shaky, but they hold me firm. Gently I nudge him to his feet also, patient and forgiving no matter how many times it takes him to gain his grounding. My long, leonine tail wraps around him, urging him to stand near me, my hindleg shifting as a gentle guide towards the sweet liquid that flows from my udder. I nicker to my son, and gift him with his name that I have no doubt, will ring proud across the Edge in the future.

"Tamlin." My beloved bonded mews his welcome, poking his little brown head into the wooded area. But he remains vigilant on the outside of my little copse, alerting me to any who might think to invade this space.

"Mauja," I call, "it is time for you to meet your first son." A haunting, yet intoxicating melody sings the message across the Edge, though it invites all those whom I saw at the recent meeting to come. A serene smile adorns my lips, and I wonder just how long it will be before we are met with company.

Tamlin Posts: 40
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 2 years
Rover

A fire can be started by the tiniest of sparks, it can be ignited in a second and before anyone would now it can grow out of control - roaring, fighting - devouring everything in its path. Not so unlike the new life that was growing inside of the unicorn mare Lotus. The fire - the weapon - she bore was one of control, control over the ice king of the Edge. She was about to bring Mauja’s first born son into the world and after that the World’s Edge would never be the same again - the little hell racing colt would personally see to that.

Light changes outside his closed eyes. The warmth of his world slowly disappears, starting from his muzzle and forelegs the coldness travels gradually over his body. Then as his limp body touches the ground he learns the opposite of the softness which has been his whole existence. Bronze hooves kick by themselves as instincts guides the newborn foal towards the real world.

Deep breaths.

Twitching limbs.

Eyes opening.

Dual colored eyes, one icy blue and one greenish hazel, shines towards his mother. They sparkle, much clearer than most foals’ eyes, and a surge of power surrounds his small body for a second. The blood from the birthing suddenly lights up - even the smallest little drop is illuminated and then covered by aster flowers. Slender, light-purple petals sprout out from yellow centers as the foal’s magic is reveled. Just like the one hazel eye the colt’s magic is an unarguable connection to his mother and his snowy markings clearly shows who his father is. This little prince wears his linage on the outside and he will bear it with pride all his life.

On shaky legs he stands now, hungry lips seeking the colostrum he needs if he wants to have any chance of surviving. The little knob on his forehead, which will become his horn, will not hurt his mother, but he’s very eager to get to the milk and without full control of his body the colt’s handling of his mother is quite rough. Though as soon as he finds his way he calms down and his white little tail starts spinning like a propeller. Lotus’ scent makes a clear print in his memory as he feeds, it becomes his safe haven - a smell connected to warmth and life. The foal will be depended of it for some time, but it’s hard to know what will happen to the relationship as he grows older. But for now nothing else but the touch of his mother will be important for the little foal.

The little foal whose name will be; Tamlin.

Tamlin
the blood-flower child

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Small indentations litter the ground where hooves from many unicorns have left obscure tracks. Coris is not interested in such patterns however, but they certainly make it difficult to find the one he wants. It should be a bit smoother, rounder, fatter even; five toes around a large pad. There might even be scratches down tree trunks, or dark stains of urine. With his nose nearly pressed to the ground, staring so intently at the designs in the dirt, Coris nearly inhales the heap of scat just ahead. He jerks his head back as the pungent aroma overwhelms his senses, causing him to reel for a moment as disgust writes itself into his features. Predators leave such an awful stink...

A falcon's call splits the otherwise silent woods drawing his attention skyward. A grin splits the bearded face and Coris leaps into a steady lope, limbs churning the forest floor as he races onwards. That was definitely the cat's leavings, and now Venati has spotted the animal. It's close and Coris doesn't need the paw prints to tell him where to go. He's running, fleet and sure and ready. It's been several days following this trail and Coris will not let it slip from his toes again - tonight, he hunts!

Another cry from the falcon alerts Coris that he's in the vicinity. He slows his pace, cautious now though the blood surges in his ears like pounding drums that urge him to run, run, run! Wings scour the skyway above, Venati remaining distant from this meeting. Where are you... Coris wonders silently, head lowering his horn to a deadly angle while his steps move carefully in the brush. He can feel the weight of the cat's eyes on him, heavy and sullen. The cat doesn't appreciate being stalked, it thinks itself the apex of these woods.

A yowl resounds terribly from the shadows of a rock just as the falcon shrieks. The cry is enough to make the feline hesitate, unaccustomed to being harried from above, but Coris has no such issue. He charges fluidly, bellowing out his own admonishment. They meet, horn and teeth, hoof and claw. The cat is a strong one; a wise female, likely hardened by years of mothership. She dodges nicely and catches Coris with an expert swipe, leaving four bright red gashes along his right shoulder, but the paw gets tangled in his gear. The cat snarls, twisting madly to break free, but Coris is upon her and with a single, neat arch of his head her throat is punctured and split up to her jaw. The blood drains like a flood and her body falls limp, hung still on his horn - he wouldn't want to get her pretty fur stained in her fluids after all.

A whistle of success calls from the skies and Venati surges down on sharp wings, settling calmly on the stallion's leather back. The dusky stud prances on the spot, high with the excitement of the kill and searing lacerations. Together they move back through the woods, slipping into a stream to wash the grime of travel from their bodies. Venati preens on the shore as Coris soaks the body, horn tracing delicate lines through the hide until with one last, gentle slice - the meat sails downstream and the fur floats softly at his side. Venati protests, wings cupping the air as the falcon chases the escaping flesh. She alights on the body, pecking eagerly at meat he's never tasted while Coris laughs apologetically. He's still not accustomed to saving such parcels for his new companion.

It is in this manner, still relatively fresh from their hunt, that the duo come across Lotus and Tamlin. Perhaps Coris was subconsciously following the aroma of blood, too involved with humming a happy tune at his success and the gaining of a blanket before the coming of frostfall. Venati seemed to know better however, and pecked warningly at the stallions withers. Their partnership was at its beginning still however, and with limited communication with each other their signals often misread. Coris pushed on, thinking the bird still slighted by his floating dinner.

Thusly his features spoke surprise, swiftly molded into embarrassment, when he broke into the clearing where the mare and babe nursed. His abrupt movement opened up the thin scabbing that had laid over his injuries. The blood began to bead up and slowly dribble down his right foreleg, but he paid it no heed, the bite had since left it. Rather Coris was focused on the scene at hand. Ears laid back uncertainly as he cleared his throat to speak, unable to duck out now without losing all face. He warily eyed the dark of the foal, a sign of it being just wet which would mean the mare was especially protective and emotional. Cautiously he greeted, "Ah, 'allo thar missus. Din't mean ta intrude such, bud ince I'm 'ere, 'ow fair ye and child?" Coris smiled, his accent thick with his nerves. "By tha coloa, ah say ets Mauja's. Ah fine coolt ifun any. Didje name 'im missus?"

Coris's eyes grinned, nearly mischievous at realizing this was Mauja's babe. He hadn't been aware the king was taking any mares, and he was afraid he did not know this particular one, although she smelled...sweet. An aroma that surprised him with the tang of afterbirth saturating the air. He shook his head to clear his senses. No matter the mare, here stood their latest prince, a birth worthy of much praise and attention. With little though on it, Coris reached back to grab his lynx pelt. " 'Ere. Ah gift far tha prince such, it'll keep 'im warm 'ith frost'all comin like." Coris motioned to drape the pelt over the babe, should the dam accept the offering.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Coris. <3

It was a call he had been waiting for, a mixture of being eager and afraid. After all, it had taken him a while to come to terms with what Lotus had managed to do to him, and at first he had resented it - resented himself, and his blighted lack of control. But after that had passed (it had happened, no point denying it or throwing fits about it) the natural eagerness of fatherhood had overtaken him. Just has he'd been curious about seeing Snö for the first time, so was he curious about seeing this child - his child, his second child. What would this one look like? Colt or filly? Lotus was so round now, likely near her time, and Mauja stuck to the Edge like a tick, not wanting to miss out on greeting his child. Because let's face it, it was Mauja's child. Lotus might've had a lot to do with bringing it into the world, but he was the father. He wasn't going to deny that. He would make the child his own, just as much as it was Lotus'.

And the call came and he nearly flew ten feet into the air, breaking into a mad lope as he tracked the direction. White mane whipped around his face, and as he caught the scents - Lotus, flowers, child, afterbirth - there was another one there, too. Coris. Leather. Fresh death. For a moment, his mind spun away into darkness, the worst possible thing ever crashing into his thoughts, and it was with a look of pure murder on his face that he saw them first.

And slammed on the brakes.

Nothing was wrong. Coris was waving around a lynx pelt, Lotus was standing there, the sweet scent of her flowers unable to press past the stress of his mind right now, and a dark foal nursing from her. White, like snow, was speckled across his back, a stamp that just screamed Mauja. The King blinked for a few moments, looking properly disheveled, and then let out a shaking snort. "Coris," he said, then switched his gaze to Lotus and the child. "Lotus." Slowly he drew closer, trying to calm the fierce pounding of his heart. The adrenaline was slowly leaving his system, eyes flitting to find the cat before back to the child. Close enough to touch, Mauja reached out his large white head, bumping his muzzle against one bony hip. Then, he looked up to Lotus. "Have you named him yet?" he asked, soft as snow and much too warm.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Monster Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Why was Master so lost in his thoughts? Why so on edge?

The pet had at first been worried that Snö was missing again, but the snowbeast had been acting strange ever since the herdmeeting and there the little princess had been present so that could not be it. Maybe it was the changing of the season? Or maybe he was afraid someone would come and try to burn the forest - again.

The Monster kept his distance from Master, though he always kept him in sight - ready to answer if he was summoned. He wouldn’t bother his king with wordless questions and puppy-eyes, but he was curious of what was affecting Mauja so much so he lingered in the shadows. Waiting for the puzzle to be solved.

Then one day he watched the snowbeast pick up a scent. The pet smelled the air as well and something he didn’t fully understand brushed his senses. When his king purposefully started to follow the scent the Monster crept after him. He followed quite closely, but without getting all up in his king’s face. He felt this was a delicate moment, a moment he shouldn’t ruin.

Then the pet saw how fear struck his master and before the Monster could react Mauja had sped off. The black beast followed, not quite as fast, still feeling a bit uncomfortable because of the scents he could not figure out.

Quietly the black beast sneaked into the clearing. He took one glance at the little prince, snorted and left. He had no interests in newborn foals, and besides Snö would always be his favorite offspring of Mauja. Even though she had a new friend in that soulless, mechanic thing now.

Outcast
Whit
Lotus
He was strong, so strong! Pride swelled in my chest, my nape arching protectively over his slight form. He shivers, I rub myself against him, promoting his new blood to flow through his foreign limbs, encouraging him to live, breathe and grow stronger still. He will be the next King, of this I am sure. His mismatched eyes are reminiscent of my own companion's, of little Dirk, though I know he has inherited them from both myself and Mauja.

I am confused for a moment however, as flowers begin to sprout from the droplets of crimson liquid that inevitably result from such a task as child-birthing. My own hazel gaze lowers to view this phenomenon, I smell the flowers - they are not like my own in their scent, but their origin, that of magic certainly is. I nod affirmatively; of course a child of mine would be born with magic. It was a blessing that showed off the strength of his father's blood too, that we might create such fortunate little souls. A wicked grin curves my lips at the thought of bending Mauja to my will again in the future; yes, it will happen my King, there is no use fighting it.

Suddenly I find myself flung before my son, as Dirk sounds a feline alarm to the leather-worker's arrival, I position myself so that he must come through me before he might spy the snowy blanketed hide of Tamlin. My ears dart back against my nape for an instant, though I can see he means no harm. Soon enough they rise again, however, as I struggle to grasp the words around his accent. I soften as he continues to speak, nodding my acknowledgement, if a little begrudgingly.

"We are well. He is a strong colt." I say simply, before Coris steps forth to proffer his pelt. I snort at it, the scent of the predator a bit off-putting to me. Dirk darts in from his guard, hissing at it, clearly upset at one of his own cousins been slain. I soothe him, he means well, and don't you agree Tamlin deserves the honour of wearing your cousin's skin? Is he not great enough for it already? Though Dirk cannot communicate with words back at me, he hears my voice, the tone and implications of it, and settles, the hairs along his back lowering to reveal his sleek, athletic build again. With a huff, and the flick of his tail, he turns and marches back to his post.

I take the pelt from Coris' proffered lips, whickering my gratitude and draping it over the frame of Tamlin. Though his hide may be snowy, the coming frosts would indeed cause shivers to rattle his bodice more violently than if he had longer to convert what milk he got from me into insulating fat. Dirk raises a mental alarm again, and I smile as the King steps forth. Rightly so should he be displeased, he should have been first onto the scene - I give him a pointed stare to communicate such thoughts.

"He is Tamlin." I say, my voice warm and smooth like velvet, affection thick and rampart. A great black beast then stumbles before us, before leaving just as quickly - I recognise the simple creature from the meeting, and am glad for its absence - it's lack of control and intelligence does nothing short of irk me. "He carries magic, Mauja. Of blood and flowers." I speak with pride, tilting my tiara so that my horn might point directly to the bloody pool of flowers at our feet. I reach out to touch my maw to Mauja's cheek, blowing softly upon him - if he didn't pull away, of course. I was mother to his first son, surely he would permit me a touch?

"He is the First Prince."

Tamlin Posts: 40
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 2 years
Rover

For a few minutes Tamlin’s whole world consisted of the warmth of the milk and his mother’s embrace, he almost felt as if he was still unborn, still protected by walls and darkness. But then his feeding was abruptly interrupted as his mother flung her dark body in front of him. He felt her fear and the feeling became his as well when Lotus’ tense body touched his hide. She was protecting him from something he couldn’t see. But a lot of new smells and sounds were attacking his senses so when his mother relaxed it took a while for the newborn to follow her change of mind. And just as he began peeking around her to see who this false alarm could be another’s feelings affected him. Dirk’s reaction to the black spotted hide broke into the foals mind and also he felt the displeasure. Since his mother was bonded to the feline Tamlin was fed information through her and it was important lessons he was learning now. He learned what fear, anger and a lot of other feelings meant in just a few moments.

Tamlin caught a glance of a grey stallion before a dark thing covered his eyes. The darkness lasted only for a few seconds so the little colt didn’t even have time to apply the feeling of fear that he’d just learned. It turned out that it was his mother that had draped him in the yellow and black hide. The front legs of the hide were tied together and the hoop fit - sort of - around his neck, he would soon grow into it though. The warmth of the pelt traveled through his body and the scent of it became yet another safe haven. Not the best of lessons for a newborn - learning to prefer the smell of predator.

Then another entered the scene. An alabaster steed charged into the clearing and this time Tamlin felt the fear - like a jolt through his body. He clumsily backed up behind his mother’s forelegs. But this time Lotus didn’t display fear or anger. She was pleased right away and spoke Tamlin’s name to the stallion. The foal looked up on her, trying to figure out the difference between these stallions. He turned to the grey one at first, noting the bird by his side, then his dual colored eyes settled on the spotted stallion. As Tamlin met the warmth of the stallion’s icy blue eyes something clicked inside the newborn. He felt almost as connected to this stallion as he felt to his mother and, on legs that got steadier for every step, he walked closer to the alabaster steed. Tamlin looked ridiculously small beside the brute and when he extended his tiny, black muzzle and stretched his neck he reached no higher than to the point of his father’s shoulder. He sniffed his hide, putting Mauja’s smell into his growing memory bank. Then he treaded back to his mother and awkwardly he got down on the soft grass just beside her front hooves. He fell asleep right away, looking very cute with his blanket of fur covering most of his body.

[Ooc; Sorry for two very weird posts in this thread… I’m still a bit rusty it seems ^^’ I hope it was ok that I assumed the forelegs of the lynx skin were tied, so it has some way of staying on him. It was a very nice gift! Tamlin will love it in Frostfall ;D]

Tamlin
the blood-flower child

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
image by jouste @ flickr.com</style>

What the hell was this? She had barely been there for an entire season and already her father was knocking up other mares and having other children. What was the problem with her? She wasn't good enough for him? He needed to have just more than her there? Her expression was stony as she stepped into the gathering, shouldering past other horses to look at the stupid little trembling colt that came out of the disgusting bitch with the flowers in her hair. Snö snorted loudly and unhappily at the colt, the metal wolf at her side growled with displeasure that matched her own. A venomous look was cast to the mare, Lotus, then at her father before the filly turned and strode away, the metal wolf close at her heels.

Again, the filly shouldered past onlookers, snapping her teeth viciously at them when they didn't move out of her way fast enough. Of course she wasn't good enough. She was not a prince. Snö snorted again then took off at a run to search for Monster. Her Thais. She was good enough in his eyes.

snö.   </style>
& when she whispers, your blood shall run cold.</style>

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered

She moves suddenly and alarm streaks through the hunstman. His head pulls up, ears passing back and forth as he contemplates fleeing after all. Lotus seems to catch herself however, visibly relaxing once she's deemed him nonthreatening. Steadily, though wary still, Coris draws closer with the pelt. Fear spirals through him once more as a cat flashes out of nowhere, a paw swiping air and a hiss snapping through bared teeth. Coris' pelt flinches, eye whites rolling at the sudden panic flooding his system. For a moment he actually thinks the lynx must still live and is reaching around to deal him a death bite - but soon enough his eyes clear the fog of surprise, showing him the small feline. He could almost laugh at the ridiculousness of being afraid of that small animal compared to what he just faced.

Venati similarly was startled, protesting with a deafening screech and alighting on rapid wings. He swooped back once, keen eyes finding the kitten lynx. His talons itched to rake the little wimp, but even that cat was too large a prey for him. Annoyance was then cast towards Coris, who's amusement Venati did not share. With contempt on his feathers the falcon departed the scene on his blue wings.

Coris tilted an ear at the wing beats and sadly watched his companion go. The bird was a proud animal and did not much appreciate playing a fool's role. He shrugged it off, attention shifting as Lotus took the skin from him. Just then Mauja barged in, something akin to anger caught on the king's facade before his vision cleared. All the same Coris hastily stepped away from mother and child, neck tucking defensively. Everyone here was on high run with their emotions and not for the first time since he arrived Coris regretted it. As his name was spoken so too did Mauja reveal the mare. Lotus. Again Coris smelled the strange aroma, once more enticed to pull closer alongside the mother. He resisted, only watching dully as she moved to cloak the pelt over the child. "Ah fiyn cape iffun ah evur did see un," Coris commented, nodding to himself that all was missing was the prince's crown.

Feeling now that he was intruding on something of a private affair, and having offered his gift, Coris began to excuse himself. He stayed long enough to take in the prince's name, but beyond that muttered a farewell and began to retreat into the brush. The presence of Monster went unnoticed, but the jealous arrival of Sno was something he could not have missed even if he were sleeping. The older filly marched in, disgust plain on her face, and left just as quickly. She shoved brusquely by Coris, and he stumbled apologetically out of her way, despite the pin of his ears indicating a deeper urge to clip her nape in punishment.

Knowing better than to get involve Coris held his tongue and his teeth, limbs moving all the faster to get him out of that mess.

Now he'd need to go hunting again.
Ascended Helovian

Somehow, he would always manage to mess everything up. It seemed inevitable. Something always went wrong at one time or another. Psyche left, though whether it was something in Mauja that drover her away or just a restless soul he still didn't know. Together with Ulrik he'd provoked Ricciardo, making it a slightly bad start. He'd nearly attacked Keahi... And now things were going to go to hell, too.

Monster showed up briefly before shrinking back, and thoughtfully he stared after the black beast. Did he disapprove? Or was this just not his thing to observe? Who knew what that pet of his thought... The warm, soft touch of Tamlin's muzzle on his shoulder brought a smile to the King's face, and he brought his large head down to blow air onto his small forehead. "Tamlin," he breathed onto the child, feeling the name in his mouth. He would not have minded being here to help name him, but now he was Tamlin and Mauja would not argue about it. With the anxiety fading, affection settled in his bones and in his pumping heart. Devotion. Love, even. He was not a father merely in donating his seed, he was a father in his soul. Too busy committing his newborn son to memory to notice the flowers, it wasn't until Lotus spoke that he glanced down. By then Coris was starting to make his retreat, and the newly made mother's muzzle breathed against his cheek as he peered at the flowers. "A strong child," he was saying even as Snö's scent came closer. And then, Lotus said words which made his heart hardened. He didn't look at her, pretended as if nothing had happened even though his son curled up next to Lotus to sleep under the lynx blanket. "Yes," he agreed, and even though his voice was stern it was not cold. "But he is not my heir."

Said heir - or, well, Mauja didn't really believe in heirs - metaphorically elbowed her way onto the scene. His eyes flashed to her, drinking in her dislike and anger in a single moment before exhaling softly. "Snö..." he began to say even as she fled, shouldering poor Coris aside. For a moment hurt shone upon his face, confusion too, and he gave Coris an apologetic glance before the crafter fled. And so, he was alone with Lotus and Tamlin, but the joy had been sucked dry, stolen right out from his heart. The very nature of fatherhood prevented him from choosing one child over the other - despite the fact that Tamlin was merely minutes old, he was still Mauja's son, unconditionally loved. And so was Snö, even though her reaction had been troublesome.

What could he do, really? Split himself in two?
Glumly he cocked a hip and stared vacantly in front of himself.

Outcast
Whit
Lotus
The colt lays down, understandably exhausted. I feel the same tug of fatigue at my limbs, but lock them into place - I can move swifter to defend him with my hooves beneath me, and my legs straight, not bowed down and hampered by the bulk of my barrel. I smile fondly at him, he will be great, I was sure of it.

Of course, such blissful motherings could not go on forever, something, or someone just had to stick her spoilt little horn into the fray and get all worked up. I was thoroughly amused at the little brat's clear jealous reaction - she was envious of his greatness, I could tell. Jealous that he had the attention of her father, jealous even that he was a colt, the first born to her father. So conditioned, I was, to believing that fillies were greater than colts, I had surprised myself at so easily allowing the maternal instincts to accept this creature - I may have grown up a sexist, but my passionate beliefs had shifted to that of a racist. Stallions were not so bad, not when I could control them with the simple shift of my flowery mane.

The snow child leaves the fray soon enough, seemingly unsettling poor Coris and taking him too. Mauja surprises me a little with his sharp words, and I dare not rebut him, not when he has that serious, piercing look in his eyes. I nod simply, once, accepting that Mauja would not give the Prince the title of King just because of the blood that ran through his veins. That was fine by me - the colt was great, and would prove himself greater still in the future, he would earn his title, his place in the herd.

"Even so, he will be great." I speak softly, reaching my muzzle to gently brush against my icy King, hoping to soften the cold exterior that so often entraps his FrostHearted soul. Children saw the world through inexperienced, selfish eyes - Snö would grow to realise that if she truly wanted to be great for this herd, her brother's appearance would not impede that, not if she truly wanted it. Ah, but the child was inconsolable, it would seem. Bending my tiara to brush my beloved little Tamlin's crown, I blow warm air over him, as if my kisses would penetrate the simple dreams he must be having. I am tired, but serenely so, though the past minutes have held some tension, it ebbs away from me swiftly, and I feel simple, sheer exhaustion take its place. A sigh expands my ribcage and I resign myself to what has occurred, silently looking forward to raising this colt, who would be the next King.

[ Wrapping this up - Lotus is basically sitting back and resting now ;-) ]

Ascended Helovian

"Of course he'll be," he agreed in a tired voice, allowing her to touch him again. Warm muzzle, velvet texture, her whiskers tickling his alabaster skin. He closed his eyes for a moment, exhaling slowly, softly, as Lotus drew back. Their child slept. His other child fled. Just like Psyche. Just like the mother she swore she didn't like or wanted to be like.

And she did the exact same thing.
Mauja fought down a growl.

Blue eyes opened again and he paced forth a step, brushing his own muzzle against her strong neck before he, too, blew hot air on their sleeping child. Little Tamlin, a prince, yet one whose future looked grim. He could not denounce his own child or lessen the love he felt, did not even desire to quench the embers of pride and affection, but the path Lotus seemed inclined to lay for the child did not bode well for the future.

With a last glance at Lotus, he withdrew into the darkness of the forest. He needed to be alone with his thoughts.