the Rift

[OPEN] home

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Destry had led me out of the Veins, but I assumed the position of lead once we took flight. The wind stung my eyes, but the feeling was not unpleasant. Flying and feeling a little bit of stinging was better than being grounded, stuck to the hot floor, wondering how it felt to soar through the sky. Once the trees filtered out and all there was only red sand and the distant oasis, I angled myself towards the ground, easily growing closer to the sand. My front legs stretch out in front of me, prepared to land in the most comfortable way possible. I hover over the ground for a moment, the sand being thrown everywhere by the wind growing from each stroke of my humongous wings. Since I am only a foot of the ground, I shut my wings and land on the ground with a muffled thud.

The heat radiates through me like a fire. However, the view of the desert was so hypnotizing that for a second I forgot about the scorching heat that penetrated my body. The sky above looked like strokes of water color, with patches of blue and ivory, and at some points they joint to form a shade of the lightest shades of azure and white. There were many puffy clouds above, and they looked like like marshmallows in the sky. It was the bright sun that attracted my eyes the most. It looked like a fiery gold sphere that was decorated with white marble stones, shining so brightly that it illuminated the sand underneath. The sun, though beautiful, could be overpowering at times. The heat did burn your back, but that didn't matter if you were flying, for the wind could cool you down quite quickly.

"Home." My voice is a quiet whisper. By now, I assume Destry has landed, therefore I begin speaking to her. "If you ever want to leave, we can. Don't feel pressured to stay." I smile softly, glancing at her before turning to look into the vast openness of this desert. Now, I hope Africa will come and take me to the leads. Or one of the leads will come to accept Destry, but not me. I have to wait until the beginning of Frostfall.

@[Destry] @[Africa]?

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I had led Aurelia out of the Veins, overjoyed and relieved that I had finally admitted my liking for her, my love for her. It had been a time that I couldn't believe had happened. As Aurelia takes the lead, taking off into the skies, we soar above Helovia, passing through the damp clouds, high above the earth. The sunlight of Tallsun beams down upon our backs, my back blazing as my dark coat absorbs the heat, sweat beading along my neck. I drift along behind the pale mare, my thoughts slowing me down.

I rerun the scenario, me admitting my love, her responding to it. Telling me how she feels, and our sweet embrace that left my skin tingling from where she had touched me. Closing my eyes for a moment I descend a few feet, glancing up at Aurelia's pale underside, watching as she soars above me. Until now, I haven't taken into account where we're headed. Glancing around, I notice that we're passing over the Heart, reaching a barren desert, heat washing over me as the clouds sink back from the edge of the desert. It lay barren at the edge of Helovia, a fairly wide bridge of earth keeping it attached to Helovia. A large lake lies in the center, looking quite at home with palms towering over it, casting reflections into the waters, cacti and grasses. It was strange to see such lush plant life growing in a desert.

Aurelia descends, her hooves colliding with the dirt. Circling around I prepare myself to fall into place beside her, feathered crimson hooves hitting the dirt with a great force, body lurching forward for a moment as sparks jump from my hooves upon impact. I put down my hind legs, steadying myself and looking back at Aurelia, spinning around so I may face her. "I like it—" It was better than my last home, with the unicorn supremacists of the Basin. It was definitely a drastic change, seeing as how the Basin was always frozen over and this herd land was practically burning.

"blah blah blah."

ooc:
word count: 346

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

Africa lingered in thought by the edge of the lake. It had been weeks since the unexpected and not particularly welcome arrival of the erratic young Pegasus, Aurelia. She thought it curious that the normally outspoken creature, brazen and ridiculous, had remained in the shadows of herd-life since her return; she did not hate the girl, but mistrust and disappointment had severely tarnished the fragile affiliation they shared.

As the suns turned over without drama, and with no sign of the prevalent disloyalty she was known for, the wary one-winged’s mind began to soften to the idea of her permanency. Closing her eyes meditatively, she sighed and prayed softly, "Can she be trusted Lord? I'm not sure. My heart holds onto this weariness and my mind aches at just the thought of her..." Africa didn’t need a response, the contemplation was rhetorical, and she could only imagine how wearing the pointless quarrels of mortals might be. Nevertheless, it felt right to share with him all which weighed upon her so heavily.

"...so much time has passed already, and I fear my pettiness holding onto this grudge. It all seems inconsequential now, but the scar of her betrayal runs deep through me. I likened her as my sister, and she vanished into thin air- disregarding all which I’d offered, flirting with the dangers I’d hoped to shield her from." Pastel eyes opened, glumness pooling through their midst and long dark lashes fluttered jadedly. "The herd will decide... That will be fair." she declared then definitively, and dipped trembling grey lips to drink.

By some (unfortunate) coincidence, a vision of Aurelia inundated her settling, clearing mind then, and Africa groaned; but the mare with the golden accents was apparently not alone. She closed her eyes reluctantly, hesitantly, and when again they opened she was far above the rough golden desert sands, gazing down upon the two mare's arrival. Have you seen her before? she probed curiously, but Silas’s hooked beak shook, no.

Africa fell heavily from the mind of her bonded, her waiting, motionless body jolting suddenly as her creamy gaze peeled apart. Quickly, with cracking knees twisting beneath, the Starry-Eyed heaved up the crumbling bank of the lake and broke into a loose, undulating canter in the direction of the pair. Silas remained above them, watching and circling, guiding his bonded forward from the thick luxury of their paradise. Sweat beaded her mottled hide, lathering against the friction of her sprint, but she barely noticed; like the weight of the blazing sun and the dry sour air, they were all qualities of this rugged land she’d grown to both respect and cherish.

Soon she was upon them, slowing amidst plumes of stirred dust, smiling; pampering Aurelia to affection she was yet to earn. But Africa was a tender soul who wanted terribly to find the best in the world, and in this instance she was prepared to believe that the younger mare might truly be making an active effort to better the territory she wished apparently, to call home. Perhaps her motivation was not as self centred as remembered. "Afternoon..." the one-winged greeted them quietly, placidly, and she turned to the horned stranger thoughtfully. Eyes narrowed curiously towards the hybrid mare’s arcing hooves, and then promptly back to find her crimson gaze. "Welcome to Dragon’s Throat. I’m Africa, Sultana of these parts."

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

baylee
Destry lands next to me, her electric hooves shooting out bolts of electricity. I tell her not to feel pressured to stay, that we don't have to live here, but she tells me she likes it. I visibly relax, glad that my new mate is fine with the desert. I've already learnt that the desert is not for every horse, and it would be a shame if Destry were to not like it. I think about the home she was just in- the Hidden Falls. With waterfalls, rainbows, and lots of shade. I can imagine why Destry had chosen to live there. Unfortunately, the Dragon's Throat lack shade and waterfalls and an abundance of trees, but there is a rather nice oasis.

I look out into the distance, scanning the area for any signs of horses, of life. At first, I see nothing and wonder where everyone has gone, but then I see the one-winged mare, Africa, cantering towards us. Silas is high in the sky, probably enjoying the breeze. She slithers to a halt in front of Destry and I. She says 'Afternoon...' simply as a greeting, with not much emotions.. not much-- flavor. I do not care how she greets us, because I am more focused on the next things she says. She introduces herself as the Sultan of the Dragon's Throat.

Shock shakes through my skeleton, but I really shouldn't be shocked. I knew, everyone knew, Africa was headed to the position of Sultan. She was (and I assume is) extremely active. She is (usually) sweet and generous, so I see no problems with her being the Sultan, but I am almost offended she didn't tell me. Even if I am not her friend anymore, it would've been nice to know this tidbit of information. When I had asked her what position she was directly, she didn't answer me, and now she suddenly is okay with telling her position to everyone. Maybe I am slightly hurt by this. Suddenly, my ecstatic mood has vanished partially.

"Hello, Africa. This is my mate, Destry." My voice is stern, confident. I glance at Destry when I say her name. I gently reach my muzzle out to her, attempting to just touch her for a moment. My mate. This is a strange feeling, but I like it very much. What will Africa think of us? If she doesn't accept us as a pair, she will have to deal with me, the fire one, and Destry, the shock one. Together, I'm sure we could be unbeatable. And we will be unbeatable.

Having landed we're approached by a mare of dappled grays, and I stand proud and tall, smile unwavering as I take my place at Aurelia's side. A dark, starry bird had announced her arrival, circling above us until the unfamiliar mare arrived. The dappled pegasus introduces herself as Africa, a name that will remain somewhere in the back of my mind. Nodding my head at the one-winged Sultana, I glance at Aurelia as she greets Africa and introduces me. I tense at the words mate.

Mate is a strong word, one that knocks me off of my feet, eyes widening slightly as I take a glance over at Aurelia. Was mate the right choice of word for this? Glancing back at Africa, I offer a calm, cool smile despite the panic inside. Trying to keep myself from panicking, I take in a deep breathe and offer the winged mare a friendly smile. "As Aurelia said, I'm Destry— her mate." The word falls off of my tongue, alien and unfamiliar. I play with it a while before letting it sink it, my smile growing as I finally find comfort in the word.

I look at Africa, then deciding it may be best to ask her a few things about the Throat. "Are you the only Sultana or is there another to lead alongside you?" I ask, taking a look around with my crimson hooves sparking as I take a step forward to peer at the oasis beyond us. The desert was a large expanse of blank, flat desert with nothing very interesting but the oasis located in the center of the land.

"blah blah blah."

ooc: short quick little post is all i had time for. so sorry ^^;;
word count: 277

Deceased

100%

Aurelia spoke, revealing that she and Destry were mates, no less. Almost instantly the Starry-Eyed’s already slight, frail confidence in her once proclaimed sister began to dissipate, and with it her heart sank; the amiable expression glazed as she held her tongue tightly between clenched teeth. The girl just could not escape the rut of her childhood, and it was frustrating to watch, exasperating. She seemed to move from one drama to the next, acting with reckless abandon, prying for attention; trying for reactions. It seemed too that their relationship was news to the obviously young hybrid; her face turned towards the apparently unexpected quality of the introduction, eyes wide, body tensed. She managed a smile though, and agreed with her painfully immature friend. Africa sighed despairingly, resigning helplessly to accept Aurelia’s next game, and breathed softly through gritted teeth, "How lovely for you both." The one-winged mare couldn’t help but pity the naivety of the red-eyed girl but for the sake of her own sanity said nothing.

And Gaucho? she pondered silently as Silas scoffed above. Africa wondered beneath a passive expression just how many romantic interests she had amassed to this point.

The darkest of the pair seemed to soften in stance and a smile grew across her small mouth; then her tongue began to squirm as crimson eyes hurried off to explore the world into which she’d barely been accepted. Curious... The Starry-Eyed thought, her own pale gaze narrowing carefully as it danced between the girls. Silas watched vigilantly from above. Grand questions for a visitor. they deliberated together with growing suspicion. Trouble flanked Aurelia, and Africa was not the effervescent fool she’d once been. "There is another beside me..." she answered tactfully, "Though it seems irrelevant at this moment." She loved the white dove Sohalia as a sister, respected and admired her; but there seemed little reason to discuss the matter with one who had not declared the reason for her arrival- who was travelling in the company of someone so unpredictable, unbalanced... She cast an eye across to Aurelia, shifted her weight casually and offered a cool smile. "So what brings you to Dragon’s Throat today, Destry?"

image credits

Offering a heart felt smile to the dapple grey as she speaks, I look over at Aurelia, wondering if she'll say anything more that I was never informed of. Instead she sinks back and I look towards the mare with the starry bird, the one that had claimed the rank of Sultana. Through gritted teeth her words were spoken, making me uneasy. What was she thinking about? What did she know that I did not? Was there some deep connection between these two that I did not know about? I take an uneasy glance towards Aurelia and then at the mare, letting the worry slip from my face as I flick my head, my pale forelock slipping off to the left.

Passing all thoughts aside, I shift my weight, adjusting my wings at my sides before opening my lips to speak. "Well I'm searching for a home, a place where I've never been before. Something new." I glance to the gold flecked mare claiming to be my mate, smiling at her with warmth spreading across me. "Aurelia brought me here," I was thankful that she had. Now I was no longer brought down by the memories of Delinne bearing a child that was not from my father. She say it was forced but I call that bullshit, she knows it was intended and she knows I know. I left her standing there with the disgraceful babe, no longer needing her comfort.

How did Delinne do it? How did she let a stallion that was not that beautiful golden steed she had made me with mount her? How could she live with herself knowing Azzaron had seen the whole happening, watched her procreate with some other man. That would be heartbreaking in my opinion, watching the one you absolutely loved have a child not even a year after your passing. It made me sick to think about it, hatred bubbling and brewing within me. Trying to contain my anger, I look at the dappled mare, then looking past her to the expanse of barren desert behind her.

"blah blah blah."

ooc:
word count: 346

Deceased

100%

A home...

She still remembered the soft, frightened stutter of the snowy-hued filly; so alone and vulnerable beneath the old, gnarled shadow of the Threshold forest. Aurelia had been the epitome of innocence standing there. A sweet helpless child, who needed tenderness and care- a wickedly deceptive soul, conniving and self-absorbed, concealed beneath a mask so unfortunately appealing to the kind heart of the one-winged grey. She had asked to see Africa’s home, Dragon’s Throat, and all too obligingly the horribly naive mare had whisked the babe home; promises of safety and belonging radiating in good faith.

Wasn’t she a fool!

The golden girl held her silence this time, leaving her girlfriend to face the Sultana’s none too warm questioning alone... naturally, she mused quietly, drawing back careful eyes to Destry, relationships are a matter of convenience alone. She couldn’t help but presume that the loss of Aurelia’s bonded recently, the infant snake Shilva, was partly to blame for this new self-indulging infatuation, and felt a surge of regret for the dark youth before her. Inexperience had been her downfall also, along with her desire to do right.

Nevertheless, the starkly stained hybrid answered, glancing towards her mate as warmth encompassed her young-looking expression- Africa wanted to gag; tactfully though, a quiet smile curled through her rust-grey lips instead. "In the name of our Lord of the Sun, I welcome you then Destry." She answered promptly. The Starry-Eyed would not hold one so inexperienced accountable for the transgressions of her spouse, and her features softened a little. Time would tell her true worth. "Come now, there is shade and water further inland." With her only wing opened in gesture, Africa turned to invite the pair (attention mainly focused towards the newest), back towards the oasis.

She walked briskly, the burning burden of the high sun motivation enough to drive home with haste; and said nothing more until long, lean legs were brushing between clusters of Spinifex, dappled shade swinging across her body as it slid comfortably through the oasis. "If you would like to pursue an education with us, do let me know." Africa led them to the edge of the lake, and turned. "Freshen yourselves now, and seek me out if there is anything you need."

[ooc: @[Aurelia] & @[Destry]. I will request her rank to be updated to citizen until she asks for another rank.

image credits

baylee
Africa accepts Destry into the Throat, and that is all I needed from the one-winged mare. I won't play nice anymore. If Africa has a problem with me, she should tell me instead of semi-ignoring me. It's like she's disappointed whenever she sees me. What the hell is her problem? "Africa.." My voice is soft, but there is no sweet. She continues on, as if ignoring me. One of my ears slips backwards as she invites us to walk with her. I reluctantly follow, becoming more and more agitated with every step. Whatever the queen wants, right? I hastily follow her all the way to the oasis, but maybe I miss the burning sand. I like the heat.

"Won't you join us, Africa?" My sweet voice echoes into the air as I step into the lake. The cool water splashes against my hocks as I head deeper in. The water feels nice, but my fears still bang around inside my head. I have lost a marginal amount of fear, but there is still that little bit of anxiety and fear that dwells in my body that wakes up when I am near water. Will she remember me telling her all my secrets? Has she forgotten that I trusted her enough to tell her how I felt about Gaucho, or how I am afraid of water? Has she forgotten the reason I left this herd because I had almost died? It hurt knowing that no one even cared to look for me, and when I finally had run into Africa again, I was coated in blood and she didn't even notice. She was too focused on the god. Too focused to care about her sister. She didn't even notice me there, dying. She only cared about what she wanted from the god. Now I know how Kahlua feels. I was greedy, and it sucks being around someone so greedy. I know what she feels now.

Africa addresses the Sun God while accepting me, calling him Lord of the Sun. I smile, feeling better now that I was no longer apart of a herd of wild, insane and bat shit crazy horses that should not have their own herd. I'm unaware of the fact that Delinne once was here temporarily, but that was something I was not aware of at this time so I simply stand in the midst of a heat wave, nearly dying of the intense heat while I'm accepted into the Throat. I bow my head, closing my eyes and whispering a simple little two words. "Thank you." I shy away for a moment, voice coming out softer than I had wanted. Motioning with her single wing towards the beautiful oasis located in the center of the Throat, we begin our little walk there.

Africa leads us to where the desert fades off into lush green plants and water clear as glass, reflecting the blue of the sky along with the few scattered white puffs drifting along in the hues of blue. We push past the first splattered blotch of shade, a cool breeze picking up my crimson tipped locks. I smile at this offer, thinking if I wanted to pursue something within the Throat and not remain useless. "Actually— the thought of falling under a sleuth rank sounds appealing." I confess, glancing at the dapple with a shy little smile on my face. Hopefully she allows me access to this beginning rank and does not leave me to wander in the Throat as a civilian, becoming just another pound added to the ol' ball and chain.

I watch Aurelia fall forward into the water, letting it roll up to her hocks, lapping hungrily at her alabaster coat. I follow her into the water, leaving Africa to gaze upon my starry rump as I leap into the cooling water, slipping in further until the water was wrapped around my thighs, my tail bobbing gently against the waves. I glance at Aurelia who was but a few feet away, digging my nose into the water before pushing it towards her, trying to splash her with a playful smile upon my lips. I immediately spin around and dance deeper into the water, my wings tucked tightly against my sides as I'm barely able to touch the murky bottom of the oasis.

"blah blah blah."

ooc:
word count: 400

Deceased

100%

Perhaps the golden wrath of the hot season (the blistering normalcy of the desert), was not the only reason beads of sweat lengthened into narrow channels down her flinching puddly pelt. The shade offered pleasant relief, the cool water as her nose dipped to drink, was brilliantly refreshing, but Africa felt not the sweet respite expected. Instead, her tail began to swipe anxiously across her left hock and then the right, black and crimson-red tendrils slithering over skin beneath the hungry lick of her adorning fire.

There seemed to be a twine of sorts (of uncertainty) strangling her heart, emotion bubbling at the base of her throat and though she tried earnestly to brandish only the flat stoic expression she had greeted them with, a grim shadow lurked behind pale, glittery eyes.

Aurelia’s fresh attitude had not been overlooked entirely on the way to the oasis. The mare’s choppy gait had sliced crudely through the soft, gravelly sand of the desert, very obviously so, and it was with a careful eye that the Starry-Eyed finally turned when next the pale, gold-dust girl spoke. Suddenly though, the other plunged without hesitation into the tranquil fluid, and wary eyes expanded to betray her surprise. So long ago the younger Pegasus had shied from the churning waves combing the southern coast, revealing that she feared water. At the time no coaxing could have eased the terror, and the dappled one had taken the filly instead to rest more comfortably atop a dune skirting the oasis.

Absently, one long ear wandered towards that dune; it was far smaller now, the harsh peninsula wind had carved it away over the years.

She sighed deeply, and refocusing eyes found themselves settling between the young hybrid’s startling red eyes. "So be it." She smiled quietly, thoughtfully. There was no doubting Dragon’s Throat needed more that shared her interest. "Sacre is our Sleuth. He will guide you and teach you well. Once you have settled, I will gladly introduce you both." Africa paused, turning suddenly to Aurelia who was wallowing in the pool. "Unless you wish to?

Anyway girls, enjoy your swim. I’m afraid there are yet errands for me to run today."
She smiled gently, appreciating the paler mare’s offer, an olive branch perhaps that Africa didn’t want to reject entirely. Ruffling the feathers lining her lone wing, the dappled, fire-trimmed Sultana turned to leave.

image credits

@[Aurelia] & @[Destry]