the Rift

[OPEN] stand beside or step aside {birthing}

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

A mother knows.

In the early hours she had been risen from sleep in the chambers of a minor cave she had chosen as her own. Solitude was what she liked, until she found a group to associate herself with in the Basin. Home. Finally, she was home. It was a feeling that had yet to grow old on her. Not only had she returned to the lands she had always belonged in, but she was finally making it her own. It was no longer a memory, a distant goal, for she had attained it. Her child would grow in a real home, not in the forests of the wild lands with the only watchful eyes those of a bird. Her foal would be raised right. And it seemed they were quite intent on beginning that life soon.

Whatever had roused her was not immediately obvious, and it took a few more confused minutes of waiting for the stir in her body to become apparent once more. Oppositely hued eyes widened, and the young lass fought to her hooves valiantly, always finding it troublesome around her large belly. It seemed that wouldn't be a problem for much longer. Excitement sang in her blood like a choir of angels, ringing in the arrival of the next royal child. One that would certainly not be born in a cave! On aching hooves Hotaru trudged stubbornly forth into the brisk air of the approaching dawn, happy that she had spent earlier days finding the perfect spot for her foal to be brought into the world. She wanted everything to be perfect for her babe, after all, and she would not settle for a hastily made decision regarding the setting of her cherub's birth.

The eternally unfrozen lake was her place of choice. It was surrounded with colorful blooms brought about by the summer heat, pervasive even in the cold lands of the Basin. Upon its surface the Borealis glittered and swayed like colorful scarves, while on the horizon an array of pinks and golds lit up the snow. Her child had picked the most beautiful time to be born, near a mirror lake with the colors of her dam painted across the sky and the heavenly blues of the Auroras above. Settling upon the grasses she'd already prepared, sweetly fragranced with the herbs of their homeland, nares fluttered nervously. All the time she'd had the child within her, she had never doubted herself, and she condemned herself then for letting it consume her at the moment of importance.

The pain was nothing compared to her excitement to see the face of her babe, to finally whisper their name into their tiny aurals, already pre-made long ago. Her labors were worth the effort, even as sweat soaked her flanks and neck, foam beading in the crevices of her skin. It was certainly an awful experience at some points, but when it was over, she lay against the bed she thanked herself for creating beforehand and breathed heavily for a few moments. Exhausted as she was, a mother's need to see her child was overbearing, to ensure the one being she loved more than anything was safe and alive. Even without ever having gazed upon her little cherub, she loved them more than the four corners of the world and the galaxies above, and would forever.

Struggling up, she turned her crown to gaze upon the foal laying wet and frail at her side, eyes soft and emotion swelling up inside her. Leaning forward she cleaned the babe tenderly, heart near to bursting as the gender was assured and the colors of her canvas were revealed to the proud mother. "Oh, Arya. I love you so much. My little princess. You are perfect." In the silence of the dawn the new mother scooped her daughter close and held her, swearing she would love her until the end of her days, as her own mother never had.

I'm not a girl, I'm storm with skin

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Arya Posts: 50
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 2
Minx
Arya
All she had known was the dark oblivion of the womb. To the infant’s only half sentient mind there was nothing beyond this place of warmth and protection. Of course she wouldn’t know of what lay beyond her mother’s womb. Her life in stasis was ending and a new adventure was beginning. As she slipped from the safety of inside her mother, the child became truly conscious of what precisely was happening. Life was not ending, it was simply just beginning.

Everything hit her all at once. Sight, scents, and sounds all around her. The filly glanced about focusing on this new world and strange place all about her. Her head turned toward the other figure one who she knew by instinct, Mother. The filly could feel her mother’s touch as she cleaned away the filth from her skin and for a brief moment she pondered precisely her opinion of this sensation. Her young mind only dwelled on it for so long for it was too simple to comprehend things such as affection and love. Mother spoke which drew the child to glance up at her. She knew not of the significance of the moment or the title she had been given. Arya, yes that was who she would be. For a moment she simply watched the strange creature that coddled and crooned to her. Instinct drove her and she knew the time to rise had come.

Arya slowly rose up on wobbly legs, simply to fall to the ground once again. With a snort one ear swiveled against her head and she rose once again, slower than before but still unstable. Once she had gained her footing, her legs wobbled for but a moment. A soft grumble came from her stomach and she started slightly. Arya craned her neck to see if something lay near. Once the soft grumbling came again she realized it was not a creature, but rather herself. She wasn’t entirely sure how she knew where food was(instinct once again), but she stepped towards her mother to reach out and take her first meal.
If I look back, I am lost
Image Credit | Table by Sevin

• tag in opening posts only 
• violence/magic is permitted. maiming/death is not without prior permission

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

& not to pull your halo down
around your neck and tug you to the ground, but...
Her walks of the night were like cherished secrets that she kept to herself, strolling through the bending grasses of the falling summer and the bright, residual blooms that clung to its vibrant surface, stubbornly refusing the cold that couldn’t quite reach its fingers this far from the slopes of the mountains. The wind carries the smells of her people, drifting in a blended ripple that personifies this land; of them, there are some more marked, the paths of each soldier defined as she crosses them for they keep their patrols like a steady, well made clock keeps its tick, the smell of her lover deep in the grasses around the Sentinel and his brother’s rising bones, trailing into the trees where he gathered his thoughts. And the smell of the children, who played in the sunlight and chased butterflies with the freedom of youth, untested by the hard laws of their home and their naïve eyes opened only to the beauty that she now felt swell from her vision deep down into her soul.

The lights of the aurora dance on her platinum covered spine, the fringes of gold on her pelt revealed ghostlike and gleaming on her clean coat where the ethereal light struck them, and her pace is even and peaceful with golden eyes sweeping across the horizon with the contentedness of a babe nestled alongside its dam. Her son is sleeping, innocent and sweet behind his dream vale, and will sleep into the morning as he does for the time. She knows youth will wear away and along with it his need for so many dreams, an ironic truth that would reflect the way his perspective on life would have to change, as well.

As she draws close to the region where Hotaru stands with her new daughter tight to her side, her muzzle ripples at the foreign scent of blood and placenta where there is normally only cool water and sand, the sweet smell of the blossoms drifting among the shore’s perforating odor. Making her pace more obvious in so far as the rustling of the grass against her legs so as not to startle the new mother or her child, she inquisitively moves towards the silhouettes she manages to pick out against the mirror like sheet of the lake.

Her smile is one of great happiness to see the child standing and strong, already drawing from the fount that will give her all the strength she needs to grow powerful and domineering as a unicorn mare should be. The Lady attempts to meet the eyes of the rosy mother, her eyes gleaming with satisfaction at the appearance of the babe, a most splendid combination of both her parents and living proof that she was of Basin blood, through and through. "She’s beautiful as her dam," she expresses with soft words, ears lifted and eyes glimmering as she takes a second look over the filly, "What have you decided to call her?"

I'm more than a little curious how
you are planning to go about making your amends to the dead
with your halo slipping down, your halo slipping, your halo slipping down
slipping down to choke you now.

image by candy<3
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Krieger Posts: 43
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18.2 :: Seven Buff: NOVICE
Parelia

KRIEGER.
If I’m a flame, I’m a forest fire speaking savage tongues
The alabaster and scarlet beast had been searching the lands for wolves ever sine their latest attack. If they had been bold enough to stride into the basin at night and they very well might still be around licking their wounds, or even bringing in fresh pack members With all of the foals around the stallion would be damned if he allowed the canines to plan another attack on his family. The beast kept his massive head mere inches from the ground pacing back and forth over the place where the fighting had taken place. The musty spores tickled his sensitive nostrils. The dancing sky lights played tricks on his single sunny yellow eye, causing him to see sneaking black shapes out of the corner of his vision. The beast spun glaring into the shadows cast by trees and bushes. Grumbling once again he ignored the slinking shadows as he carefully trailed the retreating wolves's scents away from the clearing.

The night sky was slowly lightening even as the beast suddenly stopped throwing his head into the air. His monstrous body quivered as the sweet coppery stench of blood filled his olfactory senses; drawing rage into his soul. Had the furry beasts made a kill within his lands? 'Gods help them if they have.' He thought as he half reared throwing his hulking body towards the twang hanging ominously in the cool morning air. A trickle of foreign emotions dripped through his mind, what if they had caught a foal? At the horrific thought he pressed his huge hooves harder into the ground wringing every last ounce of speed from his stocky frame.

Drawing air into his muzzle again and reined himself in calming his raw nerves before drawing himself to his full height. His massive breast violently shoved saplings and bushes from his path as he strode into the clearing. Relief and surprise almost knocked him from his stilts as he gazed upon the new life. The single eye was locked upon the beautiful filly suckling from her mother. As the surprise drained from his body he lowered his head slightly relaxing his muscular build a little. A genuine kind smile spread over his face as he carefully moved towards the two. As his Lady's voice stroked his harks the stallion froze. he had not noticed her, since she was on his blind side. Dipping his dagger studded dome respectfully his attention turned back towards the mare and foal. Moving slowly, since he knew mothers could be crazy with newborns, he positioned himself so he could keep the Lady Illynx and the mare and foal in sight. "Good morning Lady Illynx and miss? The smell of blood drew me here I was concerned, but my fears have been put to rest." He paused the smile upon his face almost shy since it was hidden so much of the time. It was like a child being introduced to a stranger for the first time, hiding behind his Father's legs peaking out. "Congratulations on such a perfect filly. Pardon my manners miss, I am Krieger soldier here." Dipping his massive head once more he gazed at the amazing morning scene he had stumbled into.

"Devil's Tongue" 'Horrific Thoughts'
Words: 533

Please tag Krieger! All degrees of attacking is fine besides killing him, besides power-play(ask permission!)

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

The early afternoon played its serene, summer song, danced along the horizon and mingled with the birds, drew Lena and Imogen away from the shadowed copses and fields of frost, seeking out the sun’s unwavering shape, glowing in its serene rays. Even into the dusky hours, they did just that, basking and breathing in the mountain air, twirling in the mist and midst of another promising evening, flickering twilight heavens and bountiful aurora arrays; when the scent of blood, unsettling, mixing with the swirl of apprehension amongst her ruminating core, pressed their obligations elsewhere. Forgoing and forgetting the tender, warm trail of the heavenly hues, they followed the smell, the lingering fortitude of someone’s might, someone’s tenacity, someone’s grace and will, and hoped they could muster the patience and fortitude to maintain this disposition until she arrived (and what preempted it – an attack, a poor defensive maneuver, a silly spar gone too far?). But across the valley, across the lake, the gathering of many others unfolded, and an gesture of faith wrapped its shambles of caution to the wind, allowed the generous flow of her smile to unravel: new life crooned and bleated into the Basin once more. They’d been fortunate to have so many babes christened and anointed into the wintry, mighty convictions in Birdsong, with its spring deluge and twittering ruminations, and on the trail of Orangemoon, before the burst of color through leafy fronds and fallen, decaying brethren, another had been brought into their sphere. As she approached, soft and gentle, dulcet and unwavering, a spirited beacon sparkling amidst the horizon, she courted an elegant tune, composed the lithe, light aria through a graceful, finessed whisper, sprinkled its bountiful tones in gestures of assuaging, soothing, tending, and mending a mother’s harsh, overwhelming labors. Though she didn’t know the belle, and truly could only administer knowledge of the GildedBlade amongst the crowd of soldier, dam, child and Lady, her beneficent chords continued their harmonic, mellifluous dance, healing and prospering, restoring and guiding. Her warm gaze gestured politely to everyone gathered, but remained fixated on the gilded rose and her youth, nestled and tucked into the strands of their blinding auroras and overbearing world, thrust into the strength and resilience of a land that mustered courage and tested loyalty. Continuing to hum her strain, Imogen clustered in her forelegs, rising once or twice to take a quick look at the little roan with everlasting promise for the future, Lena crooned, introduced, and provided her delight in soft, sweet decibels. “Congratulations, what a fine babe.” She tilted her head, scrutinized and examined. “I’m Lena, the Time Mender. Please let me know if there’s anything I could do for you.” She followed thereafter with a zealous wink, as if she hadn’t been conjuring her healing song all along.

Lena</style>
where there is love, there is life.</style>

image by safetylast @ flickr.com

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

In the silence of the aftermath, her own panting and the quiet snuffling of her daughter the only additions of the early morning, they are alone together. Such an odd combination of words, but fitting nonetheless. And in time, Arya began to shudder into a more concise form of movement, determination helping her to her hooves in a movement her mother copied as a curious, hungry muzzle searched blindly for a few moments, bumping along a pale pink flank before finding purchase. Fondly regarding her, Hotaru's ears flicked as the sound of approach was recognized, and protective instinct reared its head until her head whipped around a familiar gilded form came into view. Tensed muscles relaxed, and a weary smile greeted the fine Lady that came sauntering elegantly into view. It was a further reason for pride, to have the Lady of the Basin be there, and be the first, to witness Arya as she stumbled into the world. Glowing evidently in her eyes, Hotaru smiled gently at the Basin Lady and invited her closer with a subtle tilt of her head.

"Thank you, Lady Illynx. She will hopefully grow to be a fine mare," she purred, soft and velveteen as it coated her words. But there was no hope involved, for Hotaru would raise her with love, but also with the strength of a thousand soldiers and the royalty of a hundred queens and monarchs. Gazing down at her filly once more, her smile softened. "Her name will be Arya." And in the quiet that follows there is another approaching, a stallion this time whom she greets with pinned ears at first glance, relaxing only as he approaches with the timidity of one aware of a mother's potential reaction. Snorting softly she allowed him closer, idly nudging her daughter's flank if only for the excuse to touch her.

"Yes, all is well," she assured primly, offering a perfectly composed smile despite the exhaustion pulling like sap and fog on her delicate bones. His compliments only bolstered her spirits past the fatigue, and she shifted her curtain of gold and silver to better view the stallion to express her gratitude for his words. "Thank you Krieger. I'm Hotaru, Phantom until Arya is older, but a soldier as well." He is kindly, and so he is seen as less of a threat, but she still prefers Illynx (perhaps with a pinch of insanity with that decision) over his company. Not that it remains them for much longer, Lena a vaguely familiar face as she approached.

Laughing kindly at the wink and the offering she shook her head with fond amusement. "I am merely exhausted, she is a fighter through and through. I don't believe your talents should be wasted on my fatigue," she explained away, glancing between the three around her and waiting in silence for the sire who did not show. Though she was fully prepared to raise Arya on her own, as she had told him, the one thing she'd wanted from him was the presence at her birth. Perhaps it was because her own father hadn't been there for hers. But with a stubborn clench of her jaw she glanced down and vowed to herself that she would be twice the man of any stallion who claimed to be Arya's father, that she would be mother and father to the babe and do a damn fine job of it too.

I'm not a girl, I'm storm with skin

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

& not to pull your halo down
around your neck and tug you to the ground, but...
The child is called Arya, which Illynx files away to relate to Rikyn later when he asks – as he is sure to ask. The boy is overly friendly and seeks to be friends with all the children of the herd, even expressing some sorrow when some of the more elusive or hard hearted fillies he shares his beginnings with seem to wish to remain on the outskirts of their foal’s games, or with their mothers learning of the world they had been born into. She has spent many moments explaining to her child that not everyone will want to be his friend.

It does not seem to have registered with him, in all honesty.

She smiles a sweet smile and lowers her eyes to inspect the babe as Hotaru gives her a name, taking note of the unison of both parent’s fine lineage in the physical attributes of the small, newly born foal. She wears Deodat’s painted skin, the rose tint of the pelt laying across her well formed being reminiscent of the sunset hues of her dam. Two nubs rise from her brow, signifying that she will have two crowns rather than just one, perhaps three; she has seen smaller horns grow out without a sign of their coming in the youngest months, though she does wonder from which parent this gene stems. Both the Corporal and the pretty sneak are of single crowns.

Perhaps it is only an additional benefit of having descended from the First Kings, the rulers of Loorien by right and feature; it would not be the oddest of attributes she’s seen on those of her kind, to be sure, just a curious one. Perhaps Zikar knows more of lineage, of characteristics leant from parent to child; her son is as much the offspring of herself and Ulrik as this one is of the Corporal and Tolio’s beautiful daughter, and it is curious and intriguing.

"It is a fine name for a strong lass," she says, elegant voice rolling past a nimble tongue and golden eyes framed upon the filly that nuzzles her dam in the first embrace. There is not time for further words to slip past her lips, however, as a red and white mammoth approaches – one she knows as Krieger, a soldier of their fold, who according to his statements had been doing his job before he’d found them. She smiles in welcome and thanks; his swift arrival is a bolster to her confidence and security, that both she and the crimson brute had smelled the fluids of the birth and come curious and defensive.

He softens as he realizes all is well and even offers congratulations to the new mother, a fine example of how even the most ruthless and merciless of their coven can soften and even seem compassionate during the first hours of new life among their ranks. Children are often magical in such ways, Illynx has taken note of, as if the Gods have given others love deep in their hearts for their smallness, their fragility in the early years of life, a magical power to keep them safe and whole while their bodies were still small and meager.

A final party joins them as Krieger’s voice falls back into the pristine and comfortable silence that surrounds them all, the Lady’s golden eyes taking in the arrival of the Mender and her magical fox friend with a gleaming that matches the smile framing her lips. Concern meets Lena’s words along with praise, an offering of her magic posed but rejected by the new mother; Hotaru looks about the gathering as her words fall away, and Illynx takes note at this time that one member of the herd is rather absent at the time.

Where is the girl’s sire? He had come to the foaling of his other daughter. Perhaps he was out in the Steppe and too far to know of the moment coming to pass here alongside the lake?

Yet… even Ulrik had come to the birth of their son, as if he had watched her sides grow until they could bare no more and lingered nearby, anxiously waiting. Was it possible that her deranged, dirty Engineer had a deeper streak of familial pride than the man with the ruby horn? She doesn’t wish to dwell on it for Hotaru’s sake – she herself would be a maelstrom of anger and hurt feelings if she’d given it up to someone only to stand alone when the product of their pairing was brought to the world, and so she instead dwells on the positive.

"Bless the Lord of Time for so many healthy births this year," she utters, carrying the conversation away from the general niceties and social etiquettes that have fueled it so far mostly because they are droll and she is too complex a woman for such simple context, "Rikyn will be delighted to know he has a new fellow to seek out for his games. So pretty, too. He’ll have his hands full with all these stunning little fillies, I’d say." Her laughter is sweet and gentle, the tittering of a mother swept away by the gleaming facets of the love that has captured her heart for the small boy.

I'm more than a little curious how
you are planning to go about making your amends to the dead
with your halo slipping down, your halo slipping, your halo slipping down
slipping down to choke you now.

image by candy<3
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Arya Posts: 50
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 2
Minx
Arya
Others came one by one, the child paid them no mind as she focused upon gaining that important sustenance. She removed herself from her mother’s teat as she felt a gentle nudge against her flesh. She glanced at the new faces about her. Milk stained her top lip and she studied each figure with an almost lack of interest. None of them were mother. None of them bore food. What good were they if they weren’t to feed her? Arya listened to the strange noises that escaped from their lips and so she simply watched them in silence(not like she could ‘ve spoken anyways). Then she spotted a most peculiar creature of white that came toddling on forward. Both ears perked forward and she stopped in front of mother and child. Arya contemplated running behind her mother’s side, but curiosity got the better of her and she stepped toward the dog sniffing it slowly but as it barked she leapt backward and clung to her mother’s side once again. Her eyes drifted to each adult, studying them as she was still confused by their presence. Later she would grasp the concept of the herd and perhaps even family.

”She’s beautiful Hotaru.” It wasn’t the same sound as other adults, it was a new figure. Arya simply watched in silence as a hulking giant of a man(not as big as the other stallion, but still big) came forward. The white hound pranced over to his side. Both of their eyes met and Arya’s ears perked forward. Much like the others present, he was of no interest to her. She could hear more of the strange sounds come from his mouth. ”Strong, just like her mother.”

[posts will hopefully get meatier in time. getting back in the swing of writing these guys.]
If I look back, I am lost
Image Credit | Table by Sevin

• tag in opening posts only 
• violence/magic is permitted. maiming/death is not without prior permission