[OPEN] And we are the dreamers of dreams

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE

Who, in his mind,
has not probed the dark water?

The sun had set, and a soft breeze whispered across the sands. The dunes that normally glowed red during the day looked oddly desaturated in the moonlight, as though the vibrant color was nothing but an illusion, a trick of the light. There was warmth lingering in the air still, though it was bound to fade as the cloudless sky failed to trap any of the days heat to the earth. It had rained earlier, a sudden downpour that washed the rocky ravines clean from dust and debris as brown torrents rushed by; coming, then disappearing like nothing had happened. It was hard to believe now as the moonlit stallion padded through the dunes towards the sea, looking as colorless and faded as the landscape that surrounded him; the sands were dry and shifty as always and there was neither humidity nor mist in the air; only a slight change in the quality of the wind suggested that something had changed, a slight dustiness that had eased up so that the nostrils didn't clog as much.

He felt a certain sense of nostalgia when watching the glittering line of the ocean grow steadily thicker as he approached the shoreline. The scenery frequently overlapped with another he had once known, a beach far away in a different time. That beach had been moonlit too, and the air had tasted the same as he walked along the pale sands at night; of salt and kelp, of wind and rock and something undefinable that reminded him of tears. As he gazed out across the quiet gulf he could almost see them there, roving alongside him. Aera, a dark shadow on his left, and there Soleil prancing excitedly before him; she had been dark in color then, and small - not at all like the refined lady she had matured into when he saw her last. Behind him he could almost sense the steady tramp of Terrador's massive bulk, behind him the softer, almost imperceptible tread of the blinded Aysun, so full of life. If he listened, he felt like he might be able to hear the Raindancer's sorrowful voice speak of lost lands and troubled times, hear a sharp tang of excitment in the laughter of Querida as she watch him go ahead to fulfill dreadful duties - as befitting of a traitor.

It was hard to believe that so much time had passed. But it was many years since he had patrolled the borders of the Tides under the watchful gaze of the stars, many a moon since he had last set foot on Isilme's cursed soils. With age his memories faded, and as he grew older he was gradually beginning to forgive his foolish self and the things he did without considering the consequences. It was conceited to think that his actions had started the war of the Tides; it would have happened anyway, caused by the greed of the Equine Empire and the refusal of the unicorns to bow to anyone. If he hadn't done what he did, someone else might have; if he had stayed in the Tides someone else might have danced with Nepdon in preparation for the assault, might have sat long nights in council with Nato and Querida...

Dwelling over it had never caused him anything but grief, but this night the Silverthorn felt his years even though they didn't show upon his hide, and as he walked down into the tempered waters to let the waves lap at his legs he sighed, wistfully. His memories were naught but ghosts of the past, a trick of the moonlight; he was quite alone where he stood, gazing at the moon and the stars and the endless ocean.

He wondered if he would always feel this way, cut off from the world, a ghost walking among the living; as though, somewhere along the road, he had left his true life behind and forgot the way back.

Credits
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Groggily Rei walked back into the Dragon's Throat. She had not been able to muster up enough energy to fly back home. A living and breathing oxymoron the freckled pegasus brightly trudged on the outskirts of the Throat. Feeling a bit nervous walking through the night not long after the mountain lion attack she trotted in the direction of a figure draped in shadow whenever she saw it. Safety was in numbers after all. There was no question in the mare's mind on the matter of the figure she rushed towards being friend or foe; Rei knew no strangers.

"Well," she fell into step with the stallion, "You seem like somebody who could use a friend." Rei tipped her ears to the sides slightly and tilted her head, an expression that was more befitting of a dog than a pegasus. Rei was covered from head to hoof with soot. Patches on her wings were still quite damp and her lower legs were darkened by mud. Her current appearance was one that gave the impression of an endearing mess. But boy, did she feel like a conquering hero returning home. After hours of work she had set out the fire in the Thistle Meadow. Joyously she had stood in the God sent rain before taking a brief nap sprawled across the ground where the plush grasses dotted with wildflowers had cradled their slumbering savior.

"This isn't my usual look," after a short pause she slyly grinned "I decided to go for something different today." Chuckling brightly she turned to face the stallion, "Are you a member of the Dragon's Throat?" Looking to the sky she tossed her head brushing away the buzzing mosquitoes that flitted around her head. "There are so many herd members that I haven't met and it seems as if the number steadily grows. Helovians seem to be as innumerable as the stars that glimmer above us. Isn't it interesting how we all find our way here? It is as if the land beckons to those who have found themselves in the low dips of life."

Her voice softened with a mixture of sadness tainted further by regret, and hope that flourished with possibility, "Helovia is a home for healing."

A gaping yawn, comical in the shadow of her solemn words, overtook her pensive expression. Sheepishly she looked to the equine beside her, "I'm tired. And my name is Rei." A joke was tucked away in the two short sentences. It was one with a dry sort of humor to it and Rei was too tired to think clearly enough to deliver it well but she her final mission for the night was to bring a smile to this seemingly glum stallion's face. Or was he maybe just tired also?

"What is your name? I'm sorry, I suppose I should have asked that sooner."
x - x
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

L a c e
Här kommer kung av sand

Silverthorn

Suddenly a hurricane swept down upon him. A waterspout with shape of a horse, it thundered in and disrupted the peace with nonchalant ease, leaving the melancholy stallion slightly overwhelmed and rather weathered looking, as though he had tried to run through a hurricane. He wasn't even sure where she had come from. One moment he stood there, gazing at the sea and the moon all on his lonesome, and then BAM he wasn't alone anymore. On the contrary, he suddenly had so much company that half would have been enough!

Suppressing an urge to either kick the blabbering pegasus in the face or laugh at her, the desaturated stallion slowly turned his head to look at the youngster. Or well... technically she wasn't very young at all, but when you reached ages like his everyone around started to look like children. Her diminutive size didn't exactly help the matter either - Lace wasn't very big himself yet he found that he easily towered over this person. The night had robbed the eyes of their gilded tints but the gaze was piercing nevertheless, a rather stern expression softened ever so slightly by a twinkle of amusement in their depths.

"Sshhh" he admonished reproachfully as she paused - no doubt to take a breath and continue. "It's night, and people are sleeping. You should be too." Turning his attention back out across the dark ocean Lace retained an aura of supreme detachment (never mind that the mood had shattered completely, he still didn't feel like getting dragged along at the pace of this... horse). He purposefully ignored both questions and assumptions, pointedly refrained from remarking at her disheveled appearance and generally tried to ignored the very presence of this person, this... Rei.

"If you can't sleep then at least be quiet" he added, a tint of irritation now coloring his voice. She had ruined it. She had destroyed his deliciously romantic moment of self-pity and nostalgia, leaving him with a distinct feeling of silliness and melodrama that wasn't half as enjoyable. It made the equine feel a bit tetchy, the silence around him somewhat huffy.

If only Fajira was there... She could have entertained the other, letting Lace get on with his own business. He hadn't come to the Throat to make friends or learn tolerance and patience, he'd come here to work. To find himself, and discover what he wanted, what he needed from life.

Här kommer kungen av ingenting alls
image credit
The Store | The Warden

Rei jerked stopping dead in her tracks with the stallion's harsh tone. Should she continue with him? Or leave the grouch to himself? Sighing she decided she would stick to it a bit longer. With tiredness adding to her sensitivity, she felt tears prick the back of her eyes. Tossing her head she chased them away. The pegasus would redeem herself, she would not leave him with the impression that she was just some chatty fool.

"I'm sorry." It annoyed her that her words came out sounding so meek. Wasn't he the one that should apologize? She had been in the process of pulling out the welcome wagon and he like a broody ill mannered bull had crashed right through it. Leaving the welcome wagon as a pile of cluttered wood. And judging from the expression on his face she gathered that he didn't care very much.

"I talk too much sometimes. I didn't mean anything by it. I would have gone straight for sleep myself but you seemed down. I thought I'd stop by and give it a go at cheering you up some." Rei's words came out hesitant and choppy. A blush spread across her face. What if he wasn't in need of cheering up? What if this was just his usual mood? She did not know how to approach him. Really she still debated on if she should be. But she clutched at the slight glimmer she had thought she witnessed as it brightened his otherwise piercing gaze. He had looked much more friendly in that moment, and not all of his words had been ill mannered, so Rei stuck around.

Falling quiet she watched the ocean reach for the sand. The waves fondly brushing its frothy fingertips against the shell littered sand, before reluctantly falling back again. Her eye lids began to droop and the tenseness of her body position softened as she lightly began to doze off. As he head began to lower she kept an ear cocked to the side in the direction of her reluctant acquaintance.
x - x
Magic usage is okay.

Lace the Silverthorn
It is our actions that define who we are

The sudden change in her tone made the grouchy grump look back at her quickly, surprised and a little startled by the effect of his words - or rather the tone of them. For a moment he felt pleased, but as he kept watching the mud-splattered angel stammer out apologies he found that victory didn't taste very good at all; shutting up a blabbermouth apparently wasn't a good thing to do.

Struggling with himself for a while, the pale-maned equine eventually sighed and dropped the head down lower, lips nibbling awkwardly at a sooty knee as he watched her from the side. "You should practice reading the mood" he muttered, the edge definitely gone from his tone - it almost sounded like an apology, though Lace wasn't sure whether he really did feel sorry... Maybe a little, perhaps, but not enough to warrant the actual words. "Sometimes people just want to be left alone... But you're here now, and what's done is done."

Stirring where he stood, the long legs shifted in the shallow water. The lapping of the waves was slowly starting to cover the dark limbs with sand and silt, leaving deep holes in the sand when he pulled them out. Pale eyes watched absently as they slowly began to fill up, mind straying from the past into the now rather awkward present and what he was supposed to do now. With a stranger sprung upon him it was hard to find the tone again; the ocean seemed black and boring rather than moonlit and dreamy, and the distant stars were only that - distant, and rather scornful looking with their cold glares.

"Go wash up before you sleep" he eventually said, after another sideways glance revealed a Rei that was about to fall asleep where she stood. "How did you get so dirty anyway?"

Oh, how Fajira would have scolded him. She had a way of keeping him in line, a true skill in bringing out the best and kindest in him; she would not approve of how he ordered this girl around, not after almost making her cry. Truth be told he wasn't very impressed with himself either - it was just one of those days where everything seemed to go wrong and all his words came out sounding harsher than intended.

Picture by Vossity
The Store | The Warden

Rei smiled at the change in the stallion's tone of voice. With ears perked back up she lifted her head. Not too high, she thought to herself, show interest but not too much.

"Lightning struck a tree and it caught fire in the Thistle Meadow." Modestly she looked down at her hooves. She was proud of her efforts but she did not want to sound as if she was bragging. "No one else came, so I put it out. There was an entire family of foxes that fled from their den. I hope that they found somewhere to stay the night."

Rei stood awkwardly in place, she was still curious over his name and wanted to know more about him. This wasn't somebody who struck her as simply being a cold hearted stallion. He had cared whenever she had overreacted at his words. Surely there was a softness towards him if her reaction affected him.

While he looked out over the ocean Rei quietly looked him over. His facial marking was incredibly unique. Surely it could be a namesake?

It is a spiderweb. Webber? Spyder? She squinted at his shoulder as she glimpsed another odd marking. A tree? Helovians and their strange markings. Her freckled brow came together as she fought through the fog of exhaustion in order to think of tree related names. Unable to think of any she decided to give him a name herself. After all he couldn't simply be referred to as 'stallion' for forever. Spyder. Spiders can be creepy one moment and strangely cute the next. Rather suitable. Rei nodded her head in satisfaction with her decision.

The pegasus learned the rhythm of the water before beginning her march into the water; adding her own stumbling staccato beat to the steady pounding of the waves. Theirs was a beat that had been around for centuries yet her impromptu entrance into the ocean's song was accepted. Even of it was only temporary Rei was a part of the ocean. She too was infinite. A surprised laugh sprung from her mottled lips as fish flirted with her submerged skin.

"Feeling brave?" her movements were carefully made with deliberate steps. The company of the fish was enjoyable she didn't want to startle them; they were daring enough to brush against her but she assumed that any unexpected movements would cause them to scatter. "I do believe that I have made friends."

Once she was far enough from the waves she un-clenched her wings from her sides dipping them in the water watching as the water lapped up the dirt and soot from her feathers. It was as if the water was eager to taste the flavors of life that came from inland. Once the ocean had cleaned her body claiming the bit of land she had carried with her as its own she headed back in the direction of 'Spyder', but not before mumbling a goodbye to her fish friends. It could be considered a silly gesture, but Rei simply couldn't be rude to those who had welcomed her into their home so graciously.

x - x
Magic usage is okay.

Lace the Silverthorn
It is our actions that define who we are

"That was brave of you" he commented with some surprise, and actually turned the head to look at Rei as she waded out into the water. She didn't look very brave to him. Maybe age had made him prejudiced, but in his experience small mares were usually the type to choose protection and safety above duty and bravery. They only rarely knew how to fight or defend themselves and even more rarely opted to take the path of the warrior. Though he knew Mirage and had heard tales of the Resolute who had once ruled this very Throat for so long on her own, females with backbone and guts remained in minority in his experiences. The exceptions were rare and blazed all the stronger for it. Not that Lace would ever hold it against them or despise a woman for choosing to remain safe; he just found it surprising that anyone would care about a fire in a place that wasn't claimed by any horse.

In his mind, such an act of selflessness demanded a second chance. Gilded eyes lingered on the girl as she played in the waves, a spark of interest kindling as the soot and muck came off to reveal a very unique coloration indeed. Black and white suddenly danced before his eyes in the night, a monochrome pelt that brought the mind to the chaos of a snowstorm in the mountains. It was striking, it was memorable; it suited the mare perfectly, and tempted half a smile onto the lips of the stallion - quite a striking difference compared to his less than warm greeting.

"Better now?" he asked with a new kind of warmth in the voice, one that reminded more of the compassionate, patient horse he really was. "To answer your questions earlier; my name is Lace, and no, I'm not a member of the herd. Africa allowed me to stay for a while however, in return for helping the craftsmen with some work." He shifted again, stirring the hooves in the cool water to rinse off the sand; then withdrew up unto the sands, wishing there was more to eat than coarse, bitter kelp and seaweed washed up by the tides.

@[Rei] sorry for the wait :3

Picture by Vossity
The Store | The Warden

"Lace." allowing the name to drawl out on her tongue like a delicacy Rei simply stated the name that she had wanted to know so badly. 'Spyder', hmpfff, what kind of name is that compared to Lace? she now scoffed at the name that she had given him. "I think that it suits you well."

"Much better than what I was calling you!" Rei's following laugh contained a tinge of anxiety, she was making progress with Lace it was not a "Mentally I was referring to you as Spyder. Because of well, the obvious reasons." Worried about how childish her statement sounded she ducked her head suddenly looking quite interested in the ground at her hooves.

The mare certainly had an air about her that could be taken as being childish. But in reality it was simply the untainted heart that she carried so openly. The world hadn't yet sunk its daggered truths into her hide. It was likely that even whenever the time came and it did have her in its clutches that she would stay as she was.

Rei was as bright and as true as her namesake.

"I waited to name her until you got back. I was thinking that we should call her Ray." Fondly the ebony mare watched her daughter at play; the spotted foal had been in relentless pursuit after a butterfly for some time now.

"Ray?" Herlov wrinkled his nose in a display of distaste for the name. He placed a heavy value on names, as the stallion believed that a character grew into a name. Herlov wanted to get her name right.

"Yes, Ray. She is our ray of light in this mess. Our daughter is an opportunity for Lytninia! If anyone is capable of possessing the outrageous degree of hardheadedness to convince everyone that we are all equal despite differences in color it would be your daughter." Leridana playfully nudged the few-spot stallion. Growing serious she went on, "That filly is the first glimpse of sun that I have glimpsed in a seemingly endless night."

The filly that their conversation revolved around made her was carefully making her way to her parents. Her small chest was about ready to burst with pride over the butterfly that now rested on her velvet nose. All of that persistence had paid off.

"Mffeet mah" the pegasus "daddy!" Unable to withhold her excitement at meeting her father the final word was a shout combined with a giggle. Sending the startled insect fluttering. Herlov extended his muzzle and held his breath hoping that the butterfly would land on him. Here was the first memory his foal would have of him. It had to be special. The stallion was disappointed as the butterfly flew past him.

With the sensitivity of a child Rei moved to comfort her crestfallen father. The speckled muzzle of a daughter brushed against the equally mottled muzzle of his daughter for the first time. They are hard to catch! I will chase another this way and then you can catch it!" Herlov felt every fiber of his being fall in love with the foal that was now in pursuit of a butterfly.

"'Ray' suits, but it is too common for her. She is something special." The breathless tone of a doting father had entered his voice, and was to never leave again, "How about like this?" Using his hoof Herlov made scribbles in the sand, he had picked up on writing some while watching Leridana's father do so, but his strokes were still quite shaky.

"R-E-I"

"Rei?" Leridana turned from Herlov and watched their daughter bounce on spindly legs towards them once again. "I like it. Rei it is."

"It must be nice to have purpose. Sometimes I feel no different than how those waves must feel. Constantly crashing against the shore, reaching for and yearning for more; yet they always find themselves where they started. I don't want to be a wave. I want to be the wind!" She tossed her head in the wind encouraging the ocean breeze to tussle her mane. Eyes closed in the bliss of feeling the salty breeze kiss her face Rei paused before saying anymore. "It is not the best of metaphors. But I don't know how to put it into words." Rei laughed at her own awkwardness but she left her words where they had fallen. She had promised herself that she wouldn't blow her second chance with Lace and she stayed with him, but also allowed him to have his space and moments of quiet.

OOC: Sorry this isn't the best of posts.

I died a little on the inside whenever I read your apology for the wait on your reply! It was like a day or two? I am beyond sorry for my disappearance. Clunky laptop has been replaced so replies will now be quick again.

@[Lace]
x - x
Magic usage is okay.