the Rift

[OPEN] fly like a bird through the night

Adelric Posts: 101
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3hh :: 1.5 [Birdsong]
Tobias :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Sevin
It is the uncertainty of being accepted that creates the drama in our lives.
The half-child has found a moment alone, as he is so apt to do, and he wanders the frozen wasteland with wide eyes. He lingers just on the other side of the mountain that guards the Basin, wavering on what he should do now that he knows it is the home of his favorite friend... perhaps his only friend. He really hasn't gotten out much- but then, he has not needed to get out much. Family has always been enough for him. Today is different, though. Today he has wanted to go back to Erebos, to share with him what he has learned of the fawn he has named Tobias, but he doubts he would be welcomed into another herd. After all, he's small, useless, unwhole, unworthy...

For a moment his mind wanders back to words that Ophelia has said to him, words of a gray area that exists between black and white. A gray area that exists between horse and unicorn, between green eye and yellow eye, between being happy and making others happy... he does not remember her words exactly, but he wonders now about their meaning. Is it really possible that he does not need to change himself at all? Is it really possible that nothing is wrong with himself and that he need not change? It is a curious thought, a strange feeling that she has given him, and he does not know how to deal with it.

Slowly, his nose reaches over to touch his new friend on the head, where small antlers are beginning to sprout from his head. He loves this creature beside him already, though he knows so little of him. Every day their bond seems to grow anew, as the half-child and the cerndyr begin to learn together instead of by themselves. For instance, today the half-child has learned that the snow makes Tobias happy- happier than the forested woodland of his home. Adelric cannot say why this is, but he postulates that it is because this is where Tobias was born. After all, it seems so unnatural for a deer to be happier in snow than in forest. Curious indeed, but he can feel the happiness that radiates through this strange bond between them.

The bond itself is something he wants to explore more, which leads back to his original reason for moping about the mountain that leads around to the Basin. He is sure that Erebos knows much more of this bond than Adelric himself does. The night phoenix is smart, much smarter than Adelric could ever hope to be surely, and so he wants to seek out his friend's advice. On the same token, however, he is still rather shy about forcing his friendship onto Erebos. He still does not feel worthy of such companionship. So, instead, he looks back to his companion and sighs softly, feeling a change in their bond, a tension, perhaps... the cerndyr opposes the sorrows that haunt Adelrics mind. Curious indeed. Still, he wavers, wondering what to do. Perhaps time will give him the answer to whether he should approach the mountain or not.

He waits as the sun crawls through the sky, the day passing on.

OOC| Open for anyone
Adelric
& Tobias
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Adelric at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Adelric unless it is in an opening post

Faeanne Posts: 61
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
TierRen
Faeanne
tell me it's over, I don't want you to hurt

Things were just a big, knotted mess in the innocence of my mind as my gold dusted knees carried me further away from my once-home than I ever had been before. I just needed some time to clear my head and figure out just what I was going to do with the whole situation that the flaming god of the sun had offered me on a silver platter while dismissing the brightly colored bird. The idea of moving to the Throat and starting over fresh was exciting and horrifying all at the same time, but there was no way I would ever be able to be a proper pegasus and fly like the rest of them with the way my heart spazzed out with even a run.
A sigh tore through my darkened kissers as my still developing skull shook as if to try and throw the thoughts of the past few days from my mind. What a foolish thought that was? That the simplest movement of my body could cause thoughts and memories to dissapear until called forth again. But yet, it seemed to be a habit that I couldn't get rid of. The air around me was growing cooler the more my limbs carried me forward at a painstaking trot, if I went on for any longer than about another hour I would be panting like an obese old man rather than a young girl in fairly good shape. It was a curse that I was certain came from the pathetic excuse for a mother that I once had.
Once had, because she had deserted me once she grew bored of being a parent. That was all I knew though, I hardly remembered the broad who dropped me into the dark world. Dark harks flicked as my vision became blurred with the memories of my haunted past, it was a shame that one as young as myself was already so jaded to the world around me. An oddly marked frame came into view, just in the horizon, along with what looked like a fawn standing next to him. Dark lids flashed over ivory pupiled pools of gold as I attempted to clear my vision before stumbling upon the duo of strangers that didn't look much older than myself. My brush like tail of cream and gold flashed against my slender hips as a smile forced it's way across my features and my star speckled wings tucked in close to my bodice for added warmth.
"Hiya! I'm Faeanne! Who are you?" My soft, girlish voice sounded so out of place against the harshness of all the ice and snow that I had managed to find myself. Was I near the lands of the unicorns? Or had I just managed to wind up knee deep in some other snow?

"words."
Tag;; @[Adelric]
Words;; 470
OOC;; Jesus, she's in a weird mood.
x - x

please tag Fae in all posts
link to thread tracker

Morir Posts: 79
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 4 HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwydd :: Raven :: None Adoptable
I look inside myself and see my heart is black

He stands out like a sore thumb in the pale landscape, black against white and so tall that even with the head lowered he towered against the flat horizon. Of course the stag doesn't know this. He has never been good at hiding because he find it hard to know when he is visible and not; growing up on moors like these hasn't helped either, where there were nothing but wave after roiling wave of swaying hill for miles on end and anyone that stood taller than a fox could be seen - as long as you possessed eyes. His father had tried to teach him how to move without being noticed, though the only skill he had picked up was how to move quietly; this was difficult too, especially in forests where fallen twigs and dry leaves made him sound like an elephant in a glass store.

But here... Out in the open with the wind whipping his banners like tattered rags, where the bite of nightly frost lingered long into morning and the loon let out its lonely, melancholy cries so reminiscent of terrified screams he felt at home. Here there was very little to get in his way, and so the eye-less stallion could pick up the pace, stretch out his legs and even dare a run without risking to fall over an edge or slam into a tree. It was a true pleasure to hear the rhythmic drum of his own feet, to feel the pulse of his heart beat steadily as muscles expanded and contracted, bringing him ever onward with no goal, no rush and no purpose but the sheer pleasure of it.

When he eventually tired of running, the looming heathen slowed down, pleasantly tired and steaming slightly in the cold Orangemoon air. Bowing down to rip off a few mouthfuls of grass he kept moving about, clipping the ears hither and thither to navigate and search for nothing in particular... and imagine the curiosity he feels upon hearing the sound of a little filly call out not too far away, offering her name like a glittering treasure handed out for free. Intrigued, the ominous looking stallion slow down and turn the masked head towards her, not quiet walking over but slowly, ever so carefully inching closer; eavesdropping wasn't a very nice hobby, but it was oh, so fun. Depending on the conversation, of course; he didn't have too many hopes for one carried out by children.

M O R i R
image credit

♦ Please tag Morir in all replies! 

Hidden Account
The half-child, so distracted by his thoughts and worries, does not notice when a pretty young filly comes sauntering up to him. A pretty filly of black and gold, as it is, and he has never seen anyone quite like her before. Silently, his bi-colored eyes crawl over her hide. Faeanne, she says, but for the moment he says nothing. Who is he? He is... Adelric, but what does that mean? Does that mean he is Kiara's son, the bastard son of son of some unknown unicorn, the twin brother to Zunden, the adopted brother to Athena, the bonded to Tobias? She has asked him a simple question, but he stares at her like he is stupid because the question is so vast, so... abstract, that he is not even sure how to answer it. He is Adelric, but is that enough? And even if it is enough, even if Adelric is an answer, even if Adelric is what the filly wants to hear, is Adelric what Adelric wants to hear?

Luckily, he does not need to answer the question. A distraction arrives, and the fawn bleats softly in response. A great hulking best of the most terrible black color is stalking across the snow, his mane and tail trailing out behind him in fantastic waves. Adelric is awed, but the fawn is immediately upset and his emotions roll wildly through Adelric's head. It's obvious enough, of course, why the fawn is upset. The stallion wears the skull of a cervid upon his head and the cerndyr does not at all like the implication.

Frowning, because the half-child has already found his emotions to be greatly influenced by his companion, he continues his examination of the stallion, otherwise ignoring the filly for the moment. He does not mean to be rude, but he is curious and aloof. And while the question of who he is still weighs heavy on his mind, he is also as interested in the black stallion's mask as much as Tobias is. “Pa- Pardon,” he calls out to Morir, somewhat nervous to call attention to himself, but with a sort of childish frustration, Tobias urges him onward. “Where did you get that skull?”

Still, his desire to be liked forces him to briefly return his attention to the black filly with the gold spots. “I don't know who I am,” he responds cryptically and then sighs. The touch of the fawn upon his side makes him smile, though. Sweet Tobias. How did he ever live without the fawn?

@[Faeanne]
Adelric
& Tobias
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Adelric at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Outcast
TierRen
Faeanne

Nothing but the howling of the frigid wind can be heard once my girlish tones of my voice dies off in the midst of the snow covered land. Ivory pupils flicked about the odd marked colt's horn topped face as I await his own introduction, but it seems he is more interested in following the star-like pattern that follows the gentle curve of my barrel and lights up the tips of my still growing wings. Once his two toned eyes finally drift back to my gold splashed face, words are absent as a blank look crosses over the colt's features as if he has to think about who he is. Dark harks swiveled back as I wondered if his mother truly was worse than my own and had left the blanketed colt nameless in the world. Or was he just one of those mute creatures with no tongue?
A shudder passed over my slender frame as my tongue rolled and pressed against the roof of my mouth, thankful to see that it was in fact still there and hadn't disappeared like the colt's had. The colt's bonded made a strange, garbled crying noise as their attention was drawn away from me and into the horizon somewhere. For a few seconds I kept my golden pools focused on the colt and his odd marking that branded his neck with a necklace of black and red hair. But then the tongueless creature began to speak, making the idea of him being tongueless much less of a reality and more of a childish thought that would probably give me nightmares for a few days. “Pa- Pardon, where did you get that skull?” It's obvious that the boy isn't speaking to me as I had no skull other than the one I had been born with.
Molten gold pools drift away from the odd red and black hairs and focus instead on the receiver of the colt's words. Dark harks flashed forwards as I watched the wind tear at the large stallion's mane and tail, strands of the dark mane wrapping around the large black horns that pierced through the antlered skull he wore. For a moment I was intrigued in what the stallion's story was about his skull as well, but I remained silent, no need to annoy the large stranger with questions that had already been asked. It was then that the colt's attention turned back to me and away from the looming black stallion. “I don't know who I am,” Golden pools narrowed ever so slightly in confusion as I cocked my own skull to the side a bit. "Did your momma not give you a name?" Maybe she hadn't? Or maybe the colt had no mother, at least I had Momma Eva and Papa Ruske...who I assumed were better than what my biological parents were. But I didn't really know who my parents were other than the fact that my mother was no longer welcomed in the lands of the Edge. The identity of my father remained a secret and for all I knew, it could be the black stallion who stood a good distance from me and Nameless.

"words."
Tag;; @[]
Words;; 530
OOC;; feels like a loser being the only one who likes being tagged
x - x

link to thread tracker

Th wind was cold. It combed through his thin summer coat with icy fingers, whipping and licking the long limbs as if undecided whether it wished to caress or punish him. He swayed in pace with it, rocking slowly from foot to cloven foot as he listen, intently trying to pick up the words of the young ones... Alas. What he hears are no childish tales of adventure or punishment, no puppy-eyed confessions of love or pain or broken rules. Instead he find the voice of a young lamb being blown his way, speaking words that could only be directed to him; unless by some fluke of nature or divine prank there were more than one stallion around with a dead animal balanced on his face.

He heaved an enormous sigh, such that the deep chest swelled visibly before deflating; a plume of hot breath rose into the air and was immediately rent asunder, stolen away by the northern gales. What now? They had spotted him, the game was up. Did he really want to spend his time in the company of children? Morir wasn't very old himself, truth be told, but perhaps that was the very reason for his reluctance as he - still undecided - padded closer, so that he slowly began to tower up over the little ones with the likeness of a mountain leaning in over the rocks of the valley below. Wasn't it always so, that the young adults found less patience and pleasure with foals than the elderly? They still hovered so very close to childhood after all, still longed to escape the weakness and the frustration of never knowing, never belonging, never being taken seriously...

Or maybe it was just him.

"I found it" the dark voice rumbled, sounding distant and disinterested. Nares quivered gently as he breathed in the scents of those present, frowning as he picked up one that was distinctly different from the other equids. "What's it to you?" he added, suddenly suspicious; and as he did the head rose high into the air, so that massive spears looked about ready to slice open the gut of the sky itself. The hellion didn't usually take pleasure in harming those who were younger than himself (unless they were cocky, smart-mouthed little ingrates) but he wasn't so scrupulous that he would hesitate to attack should anyone try to take what was his. The skull mask wasn't much, but he liked it; it was slowly becoming like a part of himself, as much his own as the thrashing tail, the stomping hooves or the crimson blood in his veins.

The brute payed no heed to the girl, she hadn't spoken to him and thus he was not required to react to her. He hoped it would stay that way; mares were always a bother, regardless of their age.

M O R i R
image credit

Hidden Account
As the ominous beast of a stallion, huge compared to Adelric’s still-growing frame, closes the distance between himself and the foals, the half-child at once begins to regret his decision to call attention to himself; however, he does not berate the fawn, despite the fact it truly was the fawn’s idea. He blames himself. After all, it was his voice that drew attention, his body that the black unicorn is now stalking towards. And, if it means the end, it will be his body that the unicorn will take, not Tobias’. Of course, Tobias thinks differently. Where Adelric is timid, Tobias is brave. The cerndyr steps up next to the half-child, pressing against his side, giving him warmth and trying to give him strength.

Vaguely, next to him, the colt hears some words from the spangled filly, but he once again chooses to wait to answer. The more pressing matter of the skull-decorated beast has arrived before them, speaking to him even. Adelric frowns in confusion. Not at the words, which he understands well enough, but that the beast has chosen to speak at all, rather than just crush him. Still, for safety, the half-child steps back, discerning eyes picking apart the stallion and examining each piece. “Tobias wanted to know,” he answers truthfully, but then his own curiosity finally betrays him and he speaks again. “What does it do for you?” That is not to say he is not frightened, he still is, but curiosity is often the death of a scientist anyways. Why shouldn’t Adelric’s curiosity betray him?

But then, he must not forget the filly who stands beside him. What was it she said, did he not have a name? He sighs. He had come looking for Erebos and an intellectual conversation, and he has found only this filly who wants to know his name and the blackened beast who wants to kill him (or so he presumes). Perhaps, as Ophelia had told him, it wasn’t worth trying to make everything like him. Still, old habits die hard. “Adelric,” but then he sighs softly and asks a question not really meant for anyone to answer. “But what is really so important about names when there are so many other mysteries to discover?” So he shakes his head, pressing his nose against Tobias’ shoulder, and keeping one of his dual-toned eyes on the black monster.

@[Faeanne]
Adelric
& Tobias

Outcast
TierRen
Faeanne

It was almost amusing the annoyed way the strange black stallion moved over a little closer to us, once he realized that the oddly marked colt's words were directed to him. I almost wished the namless one hadn't called over the tall beast with the three weapons that just made him look that much larger. I would never be that large of a creature, even if I wound up taller it seemed I would always have a lanky form of some sort from the sportier look that I carried. White pupiled pools drifted over the black form of the stranger, well, they were all strangers at this point being that my name was the only one that had been uttered into the wintery air.
The spotted colt seemed quite interested in the stallion's mask, but I was more intrigued by the empty sockets where eyes should have been. My darkened kissers remained shut as the colt and the stallion's conversation about the skull that sat upon his own skull continued on, the black asking him why it was important to him that he know where the skull came from before the colt replied that his bonded (at least I'm assuming it was the bonded, unless the odd creature speaks in third) wanted to know. He then continued to go on and ask what the skull does for the stallion, a decent question and one I was sure I would have asked if I weren't more concerned about the fact the stallion had no eyes. My brush like, gold dusted tail flicked against my slender hips as I tilted my own skull ever so slightly to the right before finally allowing words free into the cold air.
"How do you see with no eyes Mister?" My soft girlish lyrics were so different than the black stallion's deep ones, and even different than the boyish ones of the strange, still nameless colt who stood before me staring no gawking at the black stallion. But when I spoke it seemed the attention was brought back to me as the colt with the two different colored eyes suddenly snapped around to look at me, he seemed confused by my questioning about his name and it made me wonder if the colt truly was a nameless one. One without an identity in this world, I wasn't quite sure how he would survive or be anything more than a shadow that got stepped on quite often. “Adelric, but what is really so important about names when there are so many other mysteries to discover?” His reply surprised me, and my dark harks had to flick forwards to catch the rest of his words as his volume lowers and his face is pressed into the fawn at his side once more. That fawn seems to be more of a security blanket to the colt than anything else, I snorted and shook my skull ever so slightly as I smiled at the colt who was no longer nameless. "Names can be quite mysterious and powerful things." I wasn't sure where that thought came from, but I agreed with it fullheartedly. Names were strange things, we didn't get to decide what we were called, our parents did. My name was a reminder of a mother who wasn't worthy and left her child with strangers in hopes they would take better care of the child than she had. But that was a story for another day and I wouldn't allow my mind to drift away too far while I was standing in the presence of a strange stallion who had no eyes in his sockets.

"words."
Tag;; @[Morir]
Words;; 607
OOC;; ;__; I'm sorry for the long wait guys!
x - x

link to thread tracker

The stallion relaxed as he realized that the kid wasn't trying to take the mask from him. Tossing the head such that the long black mane settled on one side of the neck and fell like inky waters down a well-muscled shoulder, Morir gave the foals a roguish grin that slightly softened the ominous air around him. "It's so that real monsters won't know what I look like" he said mysteriously, leaning in a bit to make it seem like he was revealing some great secret. "You gotta be careful you know; if they know your face and your name they might come find you when you're asleep and do horrible things..." The large, finely carved head turned slowly towards the girl as though to stare at her through the darkness within the empty eye-sockets, his smile slowly dying away so that he looked entirely serious. "How do you think I lost my eyes..?"

It truly was a bloody shame that he couldn't see their faces. Scaring a bunch of kids probably wasn't the most grown up thing to do, but it was a damn fun way to pass the time. Shifting the weight between cloves the stag straightened back up with a slight shrug, took a breath of sweet, cool tundra air and blew out a thick cloud of smoke through the nostrils before changing the subject - at least a little.

"What are you kids doing out here anyway?" he asked, dark ears shifting atop the poll to listen for movements emitted by other horses, large horses; parents, guardians, older siblings even. "Don't tell me you've gone all this way on your own...?"

@[Adelric] Sorry for the wait

M O R i R
image credit

Hidden Account
It is the voice of the chocolate filly that first alerts the half-child to the fact that Morir has no eyes. Curious, the half-child thinks to the deer, who is stoically silent as always, I’d thought it was just shadows. But further inspection, and the voice of the large, midnight beast, reveals that Faeanne was correct. Indeed, Morir has no eyes at all, the revelation further intensified when the beast lowered his head down to whisper about monsters. Shifting uneasily, though surely intrigued, Adelric quickly consulted with the cerndyr about the idea of monsters in the night.

But now he no longer cares about the filly at his side, what ideas she has about names and power and other such fanciful ideals that he’s not sure he believes. Names were not powerful at all, in his opinion, except that they bound you to your family. And since he loved his family, this was no burden at all.

“I’m came to find a friend,” he answers the sightless beast quickly enough, but he does not leave much room for Fae to answer before he hurries onward. “What type of monsters?” he queries, mind running wild. An image of him walking away flashes through his head, a warning from the cerndyr at his side who thinks that this meeting is one best left alone, but Adelric does not want to leave. Not yet, when there is so much to learn. Easy, he says to the cervid, bi-hued eyes still settled on Morir. “Is there a way to stop them?”

But then a more morbid idea comes to his head, and he’s not exactly sure where it came from at all, but the idea is massively interesting to him. And since he is young and has no filter, he says it aloud, wondering if Morir will know the answer. “If we put the eye of someone else into your socket, could you see again?” With just the briefest of glances he look sidelong towards Faeanne, as if to imply he means one of her eyes. Where this cruelty has come from is unbeknownst to both himself and Tobias. That said, Tobias is as intrigued by the idea and answers as Adelric himself is.

@[Faeanne]
Adelric
& Tobias

Outcast
TierRen
Faeanne

I was quickly growing tired of the spotted colt who I had hoped would become a friend such as Erebos, but something about him was off-putting. I wasn't quite sure if it was the way that he seemed bored with our conversation, or the fact that he hadn't really attempted to keep the conversation carried on at all. Or maybe it was the cool way he pretended as if I weren't there when the large black beast had invited himself to our awkward playdate. White pupils drifted away from the odd colt and instead focused on the tall brute who stood before us, two could play the ignoring game and from now on the dark steed was the center of my attention.
"It's so that real monsters won't know what I look like. You gotta be careful you know; if they know your face and your name they might come find you when you're asleep and do horrible things..." The talk of monsters definitely had my child-like imagination running full-force as I wondered over the many different kinds of monsters that had to rule the world. The world that we creatures believed to run, but in reality we were all ran by the fear of the monsters that lurked in the shadows. "How do you think I lost my eyes..?" As the final sentence fell from the stallion's sooty kissers his eyeless skull turned towards me as if to give me a warning about how easily I offered my name into the air that surrounded us...you never knew who was listening. I couldn't help but allow a soft gasp of surprise to escape from my own jaws as I stumbled back a step away from the tall beast who spoke nothing but horror stories.
Of course had I not been so tangled up in his tales I may not have been so gullible as to believe that monsters had taken his eyes. But at the time, it seemed logical. The muscles in my neck shifted as I swallowed the lump that had began to form in my throat while the colt began to ask questions of what kind of monsters there were in the world before asking if there was anyway to put another creature's eyes in his empty sockets. My gold dusted skull shook ever so slightly as long, pale lashes settled against my cheekbones as if they would save me from the horrible fate of my odd looking eyes winding up belonging to the dark stallion who stood before us. But I was easily distracted, drawn back to the reality in which I still had eyes that I could see perfectly fine from even with their pigment deformation, by the mysterious stallion's deep voice that boomed through the cold air around us.
"What are you kids doing out here anyway? Don't tell me you've gone all this way on your own...?" Harks swiveled forwards as my slowly growing tail smacked against slender hips and the ends of my star dusted wings before my shoulders rolled up into a shrug and dark kissers twitched to make room for the words to escape. "I was just exploring, I have no family to care where it is I go..." My voice trailed off with the realization that the monsters could take me away from this world, stealing my soul and not just my eyes as they had stolen from the tall stranger, and nobody would miss me. Nobody would even notice I was missing.
What a sad reality it was that I had found myself in.

"words."
Tag;; @[Morir]
Words;; 597
OOC;; ;__; I'm sorry for the long wait guys!
x - x

link to thread tracker

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

When dealing with evil, you'll often find that you need only mention it by one of its many names to arouse its interest.

A wind picks up suddenly. It's cold, and in some way, dark. Snow is lifted off the frozen ground, sent to scatter near the hooves of the gathered three. The wind doesn't stop though. It blows harder, digging against the arch and the tundra until ice is kicked up and thrown into the air. It's sent like knives to cut against their skin and settle in their marrow. The wind doesn't stop. A rising howling, akin to a ragged moaning, draws across the land of desolation. With a steady, rapid increase it becomes a scream which grows in volume, until there is nothing. No wind, no ice, no noise.

SLAP!

The wet, broken sound of a body meeting the ground with high velocity rings out after the brief lull of silence. Centered between the three, the mangled corpse of a pegasus lies in a heap of flesh and bone. Crimson seepage mingles through the compact ice, spreading in size and aroma. It shudders, as though taking one final, ruined breath, before vanishing.

It falls two more times, just like that. The wind remains still. The air has cleared. All that remains of the incident is the stain of blood, a horrific contrast to the pristine environment.

darknightoftroy