the Rift

crows | ktulu

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

He listens to the squabble and complaint of crows as the great bronze dragonling plunges amidst their flailing wings and snapping beaks. The young dragon is now much larger than the weakling birds, the colt notes admiringly. He watches as the supple armor of his metallic scales glitter in the sunlight as he dives and plays.

But the golden-red yearling with grey-blue eyes is groundridden, heavy hooves planted solidly in the soft forest floor covered with rotting pine needles. There is no breeze, but the hot stillness of air against his chest as he breathes. As he watches the dragon hunting crows, he is stuck, anchored, as like to grow wings than a tree unrooting itself and walking to visit a friend. He almost giggles at the thought, but his amusement is cut short as a weakling crow screeches. The dragon plucks his prey from the sky effortlessly and falls gracefully onto his bonded's broad back. Resting the limp carcass carefully across his wither, the half-grown dragon gives a gentle nudge, the coolness of his scales a relief from the oppressing heat of this tallsun.

Jackal sighs heavily, although a faint smile graces his face. The bronze squawks as he gathers his game gently and hops from the colt's back, landing gracefully on the plush ground. He begins to feast, although the skinny crow is no great source of meat.

Slowly, forest begins to darken ominously. The sun falls swiftly and he can hear the distant rumble of thunder cracking against the hot summer sky. Jackal shudders and the tall trees seem to breathe and cackle.

[derp. don't mind the rusty post >___>] ""

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

How long had she been roaming around the forest alone? Ktulu looked up at the darkening sky that was visible through the branches, her ears lowering. Long enough that nightfall was creeping ever closer. She would never be able to find her way out of the woods before dark and she'd definitely never find her way out in the dark. Ophelia would wonder what had happened to her when she was not back at their tree. Hopefully her sister didn't get it in her head to wander all around looking for her and just waited.

Ktulu finally averted her gaze from the sky and pressed on, hoping that she would come to the treeline soon. If she did then she would be able to run and cover ground more quickly to get back to their tree in the meadow. Even if night fell the moon would be bright enough to light the way for her, she was sure of it. But no matter how much she hoped the treeline would be just past a big oak or a thinner pine there was only more trees or she would be fooled by nothing more than a small clearing.

The girl snorted at the sound of thunder and rolled her crimson eyes. As if the day couldn't get anymore perfect. Hopefully it was thunder from heat lightning and not thunder that announced the coming of a storm. She most certainly didn't want her sister hunkered down at night in a storm by herself.

Against her better judgement the black dun girl began to run, dodging trees, jumping fallen logs, and crashing through bushes. She rounded a tree, not expecting another horse to be there. She braced her forelegs in front of her, her hind legs skidding in the dirt below her. Her haunches were nearly touching the ground before she finally skidded to a stop rather than slam into the strawberry appaloosa.

"Jackal!" She spluttered his name in a mixture of relief and annoyance. Had he not been there she would still be running, but at least she wasn't alone in unfamiliar woods anymore. Ktulu righted herself and shook out her mane, which had become littered with leaves and twigs. "What are you doing out here?"

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
zz
Jackal ponders for a while, watching his dragon finish feasting absently. The little bronze had scattered the black feathers messily over the pine needles and was now tucked into a scaly ball, his tiny belly full with the skinny crow. The red dun colt can feel the beady eyes of the other crows on his neck, he can see their black forms perched on the pine branches. He shivers again, bounding closer to his bonded, the deep dark blue of nightfall looming overhead. Thunder bawls distantly, he can feel it in his hooves, through the roots. Or was that something else?

Bristling, the dun bends his neck down to nudge the slumbering dragon into waking. Opening one eye, then the other, the bronze flutters up dazedly to rest on the withers of his bonded, blinking the sleep from his vision. The thundering grows increasingly louder, but it is not truly what it seems. It's a big dark forest, Jackal thinks nervously, remembering the shades, remembering the screams and his mother urging him to run.

The grey-blue eyes are wide with fear. The Gateway of Isilme was a big dark forest, too and he can remember it vividly. Feeling the anxiety of the dun yearling, Dei hisses, letting forth a wisp of smoke.

Instead of a shade, though, a familiar dark unicorn rounds a nearby tree. She slams to a stop to avoid crashing into the duo. The dragon zips upwards in surprise, clinging onto a looming evergreen branch. Jackal's eyes soften as he realizes who it is. He nickers softly and gives her a weak shaking smile, arching his neck to offer a friendly sniff. The dark red-gold of his mane glitters faintly in the last rays of dusk, sticking up rather unceremoniously over his precociously thick crest. "Ktulu." He says belatedly, jerking his neck back. "I might ask the same." A toss of the head. "I thought it would be nice to explore."

The colt turns his eyes to her legs - now as straight as any other. "The earth god kept his promise." He grins, aiming a nip loosely at their direction, forgetting how dark the sky is getting.

Ktulu's gaze shot upward at the dragon that launched himself from his bonded's back. Her ears lowered as she expected some sort of retaliation from the dragon in response to her startling him. When the retaliation didn't come she looked back at Jackal and sighed. "I guess you could ask me the same question." She agreed. "But I asked first so you'd have to answer before asking."

The filly shifted her weight and looked up at the sky. She could see the first twinkling starts shining in the gaps that the tree branches didn't cover and she frowned again. Had she not run into Jackal then she would probably be tearing across the open ground on her way back to the meadow and her sister. She flicked her tail in annoyance then looked back at Jackal.

"He did." She replied to the comment about the Earth God. "But I don't see how he wouldn't keep his promise." The Earth God seemed fair enough to her. It would only be cruel of him to fix her then take it away and she didn't think of him as a cruel god. "How have you been?"

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
zz
[woo, change of tense]

He smiled. And shrugged. "I was just exploring, I guess." Dei chattered in response, probably along the lines of [i]I was sleeping before you scared the scales off my back/i]. The dun rumbled jovially at his silly bronze companion whose stance was similar to one of an angry chipmunk. He glanced back at the black dun, watching the first stars sparkling in her deep red eyes, like blood, like life. A smile threatened to twitch on his face. Soon, though, pale eyes turned flicked as well, through the gaps in the trees, moonlight reflecting in them like pools of mercury.

Idly, he wondered if wishes on first stars did come true, like the nursery rhymes he had learned as a child. A firefly landed on his broad red nose, soft green light tracing the contours of his face, of his soft nostrils.

She said something and his attention returned on her. The glowing insect was startled by the sudden movement of his head and promptly danced away to do whatever it is fireflies do. He admired her faith in these new gods, but he could not find any molecule of his body that could trust them. What good had magic ever done to him? His face twitched with unease.

But topic changed suddenly before any arguments could be made. "Good. Wandering. And you? Have you found a home?" His ears perked with interest. The idea of a steady environment appealed to the colt - and his now-slumbering dragon.

Exploring? That was the same reason she was there. She'd just lost track of time in the forest. It was easy to do, really. The trees constantly blocked out the sun. She only realized how late it was getting when she'd managed to find a clearing. Again, she was reminded that she needed to get back to the meadow before it got too late. She really didn't want Ophelia worrying about her or running around during the night trying to find her.

"Right now Ophelia and I are living in Thistle Meadow." Ktulu answered. "We've talked about going to one of the neighboring herds to find a home." Her parents were in the Foothills. It would make sense, naturally, for them to go there, but they'd decided on the Throat. They wanted to move on and prove themselves as adults. If they weren't accepted then their next option was the Foothills.

"We're going to be going to the Dragon's Throat to meet with the herd leader." She finally told Jackal. "If we're accepted there then that'll be our home. What about you?"

Icon by Tay