the Rift

[PRIVATE] Death Trap [Midas]

Oxy the Addict Posts: 322
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2hh :: 9 [Tallsun] HP: 73.5 | Buff: DANCE
Unnamed :: Common Boggart :: Mayhem Sevin

You've run from the falls, moped in a cave, and formulated a plan. There is only one thing left to do now... find the golden king. Yes, yes- a strange thing to do indeed. After all, you're sure that his peaceful heart still lays rather in line with Seele's, but you care not. Let them think that revenge is not necessary, let them think that Kreiger should run about the land free without paying any consequences. You will do what is right... what is necessary. But a little help couldn't hurt first. After all, he promised you something- you know what you want.

From the Heart, the journey to the Veins seems to take forever. And why shouldn't it? The gods themselves must be trying to stop you from your chosen path of death and destruction. Screw the gods- before Orangemoon is over you will have blood on your hooves, that is a promise. Letting your horseshoes dig into the cooling ground, you propel yourself forward, onward, and in time you can see the Veins growing closer, and that strange floating island in the sky.

You didn't expect to be dumb-founded, but as you slow to a trot and continue to approach you can't help but feel like this is some sort of terrible trick. An island in the sky? Is it the gods' intents to gather you all up there and then turn the island over? That would be cruel indeed, something you could really get on board with, but if that is the case you really don't think you're going to go up there. You think you'll stay right here on the ground... or at least that was your intention.

Clouds form around your hooves and try though you might to fight them off, to free yourself and jump back to the safety of earth before it is too late, you cannot. You are stuck in your cloud carrier, floating swiftly up into the sky. You bellow, you scream, you cause quite a ruckus indeed- what a way to travel, by cloud. There are not enough drugs in the world for this. Reaching into your bag, you pull out almost all of vines that are in there and immediately begin to chew and swallow. Please start working, please start working... you chant to yourself. By the time you land you're not yet very high, but a few moments later while you wander around the island, everything becomes a blurry, swirling, slobbery mess. And the ground is tipping- damn it, you knew you were going to die up here.

“Midas!” you call out in something of a panic and rage as you approach a green tent that seems like it must belong to you. You're surprised to find that your subconscious mind knows his name even when your conscious mind does not. “Midas! You killed us all!” you call out again, feeling the humor of your companion bubbling in your mind. And though she might think this is funny, as she can fly, you are not amused at all. Slowly, every so slowly, your wobbling, stumbling ass sinks to the ground. Your front legs spread out wide, and you lower your head as much as you can, grabbing at a vine that is growing out of the ground and holding on for dear life. You don't suppose it will hold when the island tips all the way around, but it gives you peace that you at least tried to protect yourself.

It's just a crying shame that you're going to die before you kill Kreiger. And Elsa, oh Elsa... you promised her you wouldn't leave her. What an idiot you were to make a promise you couldn't keep.

@[Midas]- Uh... Oxy's just really high right now. Pardon him.

Image credits
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Oxy unless it is in an opening post
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

It was strange that our herd could be possess so few, and I was hardly aware of their daily ongoing. Usually my soldiers reported trouble, or the stealth ranks would chime their victories – but it always seemed that there was a layer of mischief waiting to rear its ugly head, lurking deep beyond view. Like a wound that had been unfelt until the time of fester, and by then, a fever had set in. I heard his bleats, those cries of rage– half the island heard likely it. (Including our allies and friends.)

Worried eyes turned toward the hills, already knowing the carrier of such voice. Though my understanding for the reason it often spoke was limited. Painted frame pushed free of the overhanging tent, right feathered limb just barely brushing past emerald cloth; he was bellowing my name now. An accusations ringing to hang in the air. I’d killed them all? Yar, tis funny. Considering this body had been through countless wars and witnessed numerous spars – yet someone managed to never mortally harm anyone.

I find my Legatus sprawled out across the ground, his teeth clinched tightly upon some fragile plant that had vainly dared grow from said spot. “Oxy?” rich vocals called, tentative and a little wary. His essence is pungent, and after a moment I add,“I’ll fetch a healer.” Fina came gliding over, curious of the commotion, ‘Medic,’ I whisper though the ties that chain us; she nods and trails off without a word.

“What happened?” Attention turned back to him.

OOC: X'D poor dude.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Oh, if only you could see the humor in all of this. The might warrior, the man who insisted he become Legatus, sprawled upon the ground, frightened of the heights to which he had climbed. But your intoxicated mind finds none of this humorous. You officially hate this island, having spent naught but a few minutes upon it. It’s a shame you won’t live to take your anger out on it. But never mind the fact that you’re going to die, never mind the fact that there is nothing for you to do but fall when this island tips all the way over. You hang onto the vine for dear life, convinced it is your only salvation on this planet. What sort of a cruel joke is this, anyway?

But then, perhaps we just finally know your secrets. You prefer the fiery depths of hell, the hole at Helovia’s Heart, to the beautiful heights of Heaven, here above the veins.

And then he comes, the accused, the perpetrator, the one who spread word of this place throughout the herd. And your eyes grow wide with fear and hate as he strides so confidently upon the ground, voice rich and strong as though he has no fears. And of course he doesn’t, wings resting easily upon his side. When the island turns over, he’ll flap them open, soar through the air, and land so gracefully next to your body, which has been smashed upon impact into a million, bloody pieces. “What happened!?” you caw incredulously. As if he doesn’t know. But then you realize you dropped your vine and quickly grab it again, out of self-preservation.

“You ‘ell us ‘ow ‘underful dis island is, and I get ‘ere and ‘ind it ti’ing o’er!?” And your wild eyes just stare at him as you speak through your hold on the vine. You’ll be lucky if he can sort through your less-than-intelligible speech. “An’ all I ‘anted ‘as a dam’ s’ear.” Ah, the downfall of the giant brute- killed by his desire for an instrument of destruction.

Image credits
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

There was little humor to be found in this situation for either of us. My eyes took in the image of a powerful warrior stretched vulnerably out across the dirty floor, his dark pools almost black in wild uncertainty– the pupils nearly rolling into skull as if our world was spinning. Perhaps, for Oxy it was. His jaws release their hold on the plant so that those lips could reply or in better term retort; then he grasps hold of it again, hanging for dear life and leaving me to stare on in bewilderment. I stood firm though, listening, but my attempts toward figuring out the garbled words is weak at best.

Ashy ears slipped back, noticeable confusion filters into my gaze and creeps across the chiseled contours of my face. Frown drifts deeper and brows slither together, “Clear ye mind, take a breath.” I’d caught the tail end of Oxy’s words, but running with it would be an unwise thing, “and let go of that.” Muzzle nodded once toward the plant he was chew through, “Tis impossible to understand ye…” Neck shifts, carrying crown lower, falling closer to eye level so that I wasn’t the looming shadow towering above, “Yar brother, this place is safe.” Voice turns softer, attempting to understand, attempting to comfort – though it would up to him if those words were believable or not. Hopefully one of our healers would be here soon, a Medic might know of the madness which caused this; surely I didn’t, for he bleated nonsense like a child whom had lost all reason and half his shits along the way.

Clear ye mind, take a breath. How he can remain so calm in the face of utter destruction is beyond you. You used to think he was weak of constitution (though not of body), but now you find yourself wondering, beneath layers of hazy terror, if he is actually the bravest of any that you have met. Take a breath. Take a breath. You try to listen to him, try to hear his tone. He doesn’t have the self-righteous mocking tone of one who knows he has caused utter destruction. He doesn’t gloat the way an evil villain might if he had finally succeeded in taking over the world. Could it actually be that this stallion is not causing you such death and destruction as you have imagined?

It’s hard to believe, as you look around and find the world still threatening to tip one direction or the other, but gentle words from the man who leads continue to sooth your agitation, even if you do not want them. And, just when you are contemplating biting at the nose that has been lowered towards you, your companion finally breaks the silence in your mind. Her amusement is palpable- you can almost imagine her invisible body rolling with laughter. And then she sends you a series of images- clouds, drugs, flat ground, you standing, drugs, drugs, drugs… She is a mute, so far as you have known her, but the images themselves do a good enough job of making you understand. You only think the world is tipping because you are high.

Slowly, oh so slowly, you let go of your vine, or rather the thing finally breaks from the assault by your teeth. “I knew that,” you grunt sheepishly in response to his Old English insistence that this place is safe. At a glacial pace, you force yourself to rise from the ground, head still spinning, but gentle condolences from your companion giving you peace. Since when did you actually take her advice? And then you take a moment, or ten, to get your shit together. Still, your hooves spread wide and your head hangs low to help your balance. “Vertigo,” you offer as an explanation and for the briefest of moments you consider shocking Midas with your drug magic to make him understand the terror you have felt. But you think better of it then… It wouldn’t due to piss of the man who is supposed to make you something.

Image credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Oxy stilled, breathing, listening. Actually following my advice, I’m surprised and relieved for his sake. He releases the captive plant, surrendering it to a better existence than between one moist jaws. Crown rises and patched limbs shift this body in reverse, giving needed space to my stricken clan-mate. Slowly, painfully so, the Legatus rises – shaky and seemingly closer to tipping back over than standing firm and making solid his resolve.

I remain patiently silent and watchful, both of which are things that come easily to me. His one word explanation softens my gaze, not with pity – for we both had little need for that. But a secret understanding. I’d been in a dark place once before, a world full of oceans and tiny pools – a different world. Running in a parallel line with this one. The feeling of endlessness had sickened gut and spun mind. “It will fade with time,” not the most comforting of sentiments, but true all the same.

A medic might be able to deliver herbs that would ease his dizzying state of mind, but they’d be able to do little else; and there was nothing I could do but stand by, wait, “Kiara may have something to ease the discomfort?” Fina was still out looking for a healer, I touched her mind and saw that our attempt toward providing one hadn’t bore fruit. Gaze fell to the empty leather pouch, this warrior was constantly carrying around flora in his sling, perhaps he knew of an herb that would hasten recovery?

No mocking words, no sneers, no threats to send him off the edge of this god forsaken, artificial hell? Is he a literal saint, sent from the gods above? Perhaps a son of the gods meant to save everyone and everything? Does he even have the capacity to feel anger? You have seen nothing from his warrior mind except calmness, steadiness. It irks you and vaguely, though the haze, you wonder what exactly you would have to do to piss him off. You bet he was even nice when he banished Rose Red, telling her in his steady drawl to come back later.

But never mind Rose Red- you've even got her fur cape still shoved under some tree in the forest somewhere. You wonder if she'll ever come back for it, decide you don't care, and then consider just giving it away. Snowflake could use it, perhaps... Or the little pony that was supposed to be doing your bidding, but now you're not so sure... Your boggart's laughter rings through your head and you surmise she is amused that you have considered doing something nice. You do have a heart, you remind her. Just not a very big one, and rather picky about who it enjoys.

“I could use a spear,” you drawl slowly, words lingering as you say them, as though it takes real effort to get them out. A very attractive string of drool slips the short distance from your lips to the ground. “Something small,” you add, motioning briefly to your shoulder bag- something that can fit there when you're not using it. A brow raises as you look at him, wondering if he will question your request or just consider it part of your Legatus duties. Were you more awake you might wonder how much thinking actually goes on in that steady head... certainly there must be more to him than just kindness. His many scars betray him as a warrior, but what fuels his rage and makes him fight?

Regardless, you hope he approves and carries on. The sooner the better, you'd like to get off of this floating hunk of rock.

Image credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Oxy evidently had little interest in herbs from Kiara, our lead medic; his desire was for something else. A weapon, a spear to be exact. My reaction is one of total indifference, and though outwardly the expression didn’t change, there is certainly a spark of mistrust fluttering to life. Giving me pause. By all appearance a concerned frown remained and would likely be the only thing he’d see – even as silence lapsed and his request hung between us. I followed those dark eyes to the empty satchel. The crafting idea was a simply one, easily accommodated – something as tiny as a javelin wouldn’t take long to make and the rod could be fashioned from the same material.

Brows draw together with obvious concentration, I take a moment to contemplate, thinking about straight out refusing to fashion something that could be used for wounding another individual. Then again, he was my Legatus and I recalled that during our race in the heart I’d made a promise to craft him a trinket of choice; plus, such a tool could be used in our defense… coupled with these two realizations I wondered what right I truly had to withhold? “I can do what ye requests,” there is a finality in my tone. I’d complete my promise and pray to Earth that it wasn’t out of vain.

Quietly, this soul called upon the silver strings of magic that was spooled tightly around my soul, a small amount of energy is expended as I search the ground below us -- finding it full of raw iron. The process of pulling iron was still new to me, it would take longer than crafting an item of gold – but iron would be stronger. “What stirs ye to suddenly desire a weapon?” My question comes in a callous manner, casual, as if I’m asking about the weather.

Small pieces of silver rises from the soil, tiny flakes that capture my attention and draw focus to earth. Gaze slips low, concentrating on the pieces of iron collecting in a small pile only a few feet away. It would take a little time to collect enough flakes to melt into something of worth.

Silence... you notice nothing of his face or the mild frown that settles there. You're too busy concentrating on balancing yourself on this teeter-tottering island. But at least he deigns his kingly self to help you out and craft you the weapon you desire. Lucky him you don't desire to use it against him. And as he begins his work you watch him curiously. You had never really been interested in how things were made, but more interested in the fact that they were made at all. Still, it's an interesting lesson if nothing else. You hear his words, but your eyes are trained on the silver metal that is leeching from the soil. He can do that?

For a while you are silent, pondering what answer you should give him. Is it better in this situation to give him truth or a lie? You're not opposed to lying, but it's always difficult to keep up with them. Especially with someone you have to interact so frequently with. Also, with your mind so hazy as it is now, who is to say that you won't just forget whatever absurd lie you told him today anyways. You sigh grumpily. It seems the truth is the best option in this situation. He's not going to like what you have to say, but whether he finishes your spear or not when you've finished saying what you're saying, he's not going to stop you from having your revenge.

“Some fuckhead stabbed Snowflake's eye and destroyed it,” you offer. Your words are filled with seething hate even through your drug-induced slur. Your companion, realizing that Midas likely does not know who 'Snowflake' is, briefly morphs into a miniature version of Elsa, wings flapping gallantly, before she returns to her naturally near-invisible form. “I'm going to destroy him.” Simple words, but perhaps not such a simple task. You conveniently forget to tell him that that Seele already said that you would do no such thing. Will he challenge you? Tell you to stand down? He might. Let him try to stop you.

Image credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

I’d been raised on the threshold of knowing the difference between good and evil. I’d also been reared to understand the law of honor – tis what stirs me now. Crafting this weapon as my silent Legatus, my rather strange kinsman falls silent to either think upon my question, or else decide to not bother answering. Either way, I’d complete this request, because of the promise and because I still believed in him; despite his odd behavior there was a solid part of this soul that harbored a desire to befriend this beast of a man. Enemies were all around, friends could tend better to festering wounds.

Finally, he replied and I had nearly gathered enough silver flakes to begin smelting them together. Something about snowflake? I paused, glancing up from the slithering pile to stare at him with one brow raised as if expecting more information. Someone had attacked this family, and without my knowledge of it? The usually unseen companion he keeps close, suddenly became visible, my gaze flickers to it and notes the shape said mythical beast took on. Elsa. Awareness dawned, then the faintest wash of anger that was pushed aside only with recognizable force.

Oxy claimed a desire to destroy the unnamed stranger, I stiffened and turned eyes back to the his request. Frown deepened again, but this time it wasn’t just out of concern for wellbeing, but the herd as a whole, “Does ye have a name and clan for the one who struck Elsa?” Tone is even, seemingly unchanged.

The silver rose from earth, collapsing upon itself and smelting together without the use of fire. A blob of molten goo bobbed in the air and my concentration was returned back to the craft. I could almost see the weapon he desired, hidden behind a strange shape that only needed to be teased. Gently, as if brushing dew from a leaf, I started crafting the glob of goo into something of worth.

A point appeared at one end and the length of said spear started to take shape.

The ground shifts and sways beneath you and you hold onto your strange stance, willing the ground to hold still, willing your head to stop swimming, wishing- for once- that you had not ingested so many of your mind-alter weeds. But need is need and you are not yet over your need for them. Perhaps someday you will come to know and understand that you cannot live forever on these plants. Perhaps someday you will feel the sickness that comes when your liver and kidneys begin to shutdown from overuse and tiredness. But that day is not today, not yet, not so soon.

The response from your Czar, as he stiffens at your words (balking at your desire to destroy?), truly surprises you. He does not demand you stand down, does not tell you that your desires are wrong. Your mind tries to click through he haze. What game is he playing? What secret meaning is hidden behind those words, if there is one? But you can't get so far in the moment, cannot ferret out what exactly he is getting at, and you are left with only two options. He wants to know so that he can deny you after getting more information or he wants to know so that he might know where dangers lurk. If it is the first, you'll find him an idiot. If it is the latter he will win some of your respect. Could you really have misjudged this man so poorly when you joined up with him? Part of you almost hopes that it is true because somewhere in the depths of your blackened soul you want to like this steady steed.

Though you are hesitant to respond to him, you ultimately just carry on. What more harm can it do? “Krieger. Basin.” A moment later you add, in case the Czar thinks he will take the beast himself, “He's mine.” You are honor-bound to Snowflake. You won't let anyone else save her from this nightmare.

While he crafts, you throw Elsa's name around in your head. You had not known it until this moment, but you find that you like it. A shame you may yet forget it again.

Image credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Would it have made a single ounce of difference had I wasted my breath and energy trying to stop this fellow from completing his revenge? Who could know? Somehow I seriously doubted it. Nay, he had freedom of choice just as the rest of us, and neither I nor the gods themselves could halt such a man. Not unless it meant death or some severity. He spoke a name, one that was unfamiliar to me; but such wasn’t a surprise when the title Basin followed.

I sighed, releasing a held breath and narrowing brow as concentration pulled my attention away from the topic of our conversation. His addition and claim made me smile just a little, one corner twisted up as if finding such a thing humorous. I had no quarrel with either fellow.

One end of the staff took on its circular shape, small notches began to take theoretical form, a small piece of silver trailed higher. Slipping toward his muzzle, “be still please,” I murmur, the silver drew near his face and measured the length of jaw without so much as brushing a single hair. Then it withdrew and laid across the staff. The small indentions grew larger, leaving ample space for his teeth to wrap round and clinch down in those particular spots.

Said object twisted and shifted sideways, allowing my eye to observe every corner for imperfection before moving along the staff to the head, which was slowly following the shape of its sister point. The weapon was nearly complete, “I would caution thee; though note I have no intent on halting your purpose.” He wasn’t the only one who was battling demons that lay across my spine, how many of my family and friends been wounded by Basin folk?

“Should ye challenge yon fool and fail, the laws of Basin will be the judge and jury. Ye will find no aid from thy family in this – for thee actions are freely chosen.”

The final point formed and I began the process of hardening, “Think upon these words I beg, and understand what consequences follow this choice.” He needed to be aware that as a peace keeper and the leader of this herd I could not and would not condone this choice, but…there was little that would stop him aside from maybe asking that he give pause to consider and assure that this was what he truly wanted.

Finally, at long last the spear was complete. I carried it forward, flashing it before his eyes. “Your request is complete.” I waited, for his response and either approval or request for modification.

You should not have so anxiously awaited his response, hung so heavily forward to hear what he might say to you on the matter of the beast and the Basin, for you are sorely disappointed by his words. Be still please. You harrumph your gives voice to your mild annoyance at the distraction by the crafter's work. Regardless, you follow his command and hold as still as you can force your wobbling body to be. The silver near your face is curious and you have to forcibly hold back a desire to bite the unnatural thing out of the air. But then, it wouldn't do to bite the crafter's work before it is complete, you're sure.

To be fair, it's clearly fine work that has been well made. He must be practiced in this art as much as you're practiced in your art of war. But then the interesting conversation returns and you perk your ears to listen intently. Caution? Your brow furrows as you await the remainder of his words. Oh, to be steady. It seems Midas' soul burns slowly with a warm flame while yours burns blindingly hot. But perhaps that is why he will live longer than you, be more influential, more liked, more respected. He has steady passion, you have blinding rage.

But then his words come and you can't help but break into a violent laughter, body nearly tumbling back to the ground with the display. “Fail?” you spit out after he begs you to understand the consequences. “If I fail, I'll hang myself,” you promise him with a set of slurred words. There will be no failure for you in this mission. There is no match for the rage of family scorned and you are strong, practiced, ready. There has never been a mission so important to you in this life.

But in time your laughter fades and you can't help but return to your more somber attitude. “Thank you,” you respond to him as you take the spear from him, the words ambiguous as to whether you mean for the spear or for his council, but perhaps you mean for both. His words were... not what you expected, but not unwelcome either, though your laughter might have displayed otherwise. You appreciate that you have his acceptance, if not his approval.

In time, you turn to head towards the tent of the Falls where you can hopefully recover from your over-indulgence, hesitating only a moment as you turn back. “I won't need aid if I fail. But what if I succeed?” You'll have the Glass Horn to contend with. You don't look forward to the day.

Image credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

He had much ambition and a passionate heart. A dragon heart, burning with an inferno that could sweep away this world; or see him into an early grave. I felt that behind those cold but curious eyes there was something more…Perhaps that was why I didn’t hesitate making this fellow a weapon; perhaps I felt that Oxy simply needed a chance. A friend. For I rarely saw him in the company of others.

That laughter and retort does nothing other than bring a small smile to my face, he either balks at words out of certainty at a victory, or else is over confident. Two things that could prove dangerous when taunting Basin folk, I grin, but it is sad smile, “Return in good health.” It said, though he’d likely not notice. I’d grieve the loss.

His thanks is enough and my hold upon said craft loosens and then releases entirely as he gasps it between jaws. My gaze lingers on it for a moment, brows digging in upon forehead and knitting together as if I had something of great importance to add; but the moment passes and I relax again. He moves to turn away, heading toward the flapping cloth in the near distance. A question pipes past lips, I listen and consider for a moment.

What would happen if he was victorious? The Basin could retaliate, there were a hundred coulds; none of which I could know without the ability to glimpse past the veil that was his future, yar, and thus was impossible. “There will be one less soul in this world I suppose,” tone is not entirely indifferent in its manner, the decision to end a life was a heavy one, wroth with difficulties.

“Violence will often beget violence, it is in our nature to balance the scales.” Scales, some men spent their whole lives trying to make ends toward such a feat; but when was it enough? When our world was painted red with crimson, dripping pus? I nodded his way, “It should be noted also that lessons are often better remembered if the blood is warm and flowing within veins.” Death was final, it was the end of this journey and the beginning anew; but the one who died was said to suffer nothing of previous sins – they carried no weight forward with them into the field of gods.

This was his choice, nobody could make it for him. I could only present a listening ear and understanding, the wisdom of facts learnt from years of battle and the grinding of my own emotions against a sharpening stone.