the Rift

Chasing Dreams & Butterflies

Jahzara Posts: 63
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 hands :: 6 Birdsongs
Xyroca
'Jay...Hey Jay...Wake up...'

The voice was distant in her mind, echoing into the vast chasms of her imagination as the young mare struggled to awaken. With a groan she shuffled her weight, feeling the coolness of the earth press into her cheek as the voice grew louder with every word. The voice was comforting with it's familiarity, despite the increasing tone of frustration that it carried. As the golden mare began to stir, her eyes fluttering against the morning sunlight, there was one final order shouted to her. 'JAHZARA! Get up!'

Jahzara jumped with a start, rolling onto her stomach with her legs tucked underneath her barrel as much as possible. As the world around her came into focus, she was met face to face with her imaginary best friend. You see, the voice was one that only dear Jahzara could hear, among several other things. Do not mistake this child-like innocence for stupidity, the vixen was very much aware that none but she could visualize her friend.

'It's about time, sleepy head.' Spoke a lilac pony that met with Jahzara's eye level while she laid on the ground. The pony grinned at the golden arabian cross, urging her to rise to her feet. Jahzara returned the friendly smile as she stood up with a brief shake, looking around to study her surroundings. "Where are we, Lily?" She asked aloud, but was only answered by a shrug from the illusion of her mind. Try as she might, Jahzara could not recognize where she was, nor did she truly remember how she had arrived her.

A new voice interrupted her thoughts, a male voice with a condescending tone that immediately made Jahzara roll her eyes. 'I told you to stop following those blasted butterflies! They lead you to nothing but trouble!' In her mind's eye, Jahzara visualized a large tropical perched materializing on her shoulder, lifting his beak high into the air. Looking back over her shoulder to the best of her ability, her nares flared with a frustrated snort. "Oh beat it, Archie. I'll be fine."

Surprised at her rude response, the imaginary bird gave a 'hmph!' and flew from her back, slowly disappearing from even the mare's point of view while he muttered under his breath about the consequences that came from the last time she did not listen to him. The lilac pony watched as the bird vanished, flicking her ears back into her mane. 'Feather-brain...' But Jahzara was no longer listening. Instead, she was growing more and more curious about this strange new land....

OOC: Post complete at 438 words.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua
The Sunshower

While the floating island was beautiful, a fun adventure and a welcome release from the pressures of queendom, the painted woman realized that she did still have some duties to fulfill. With several of their friends missing from the herd meeting, Kahlua was fully aware that their herd needed to grow larger. They were woefully understaffed in the informants' division, and with Nasreen promoted to Seer Kahlua wasn't aware of any crafters under Dragomir's charge either. Well, a queen's work was never done, she supposed. So, with one last look at the floating island, Kahlua stepped onto a cloud and drifted back down to the ground, headed towards the Threshold.

When she finally arrived, the queen trotted happily through the woods. The cool breeze from the autumn air lifted her hair, blowing it about, leaving her to shake her head from the brilliance of it all. How long had it been since she had been here? Too long, as usual. It was a shame that leading a herd left her so busy all of the time. And it seemed like forever that she wandered the woods, searching for any newcomers into the woods. But perhaps she was just impatient, for in time she heard a voice through the greenery. I'll be fine. She smiled.

“Hello!?” she called out, her bright soprano trilling out, singing with the birds in the trees. “I'm Kahlua!” she followed up, though she couldn't actually see who she was talking to. But in a few more steps she found herself emerging through the brush to be standing before a pretty yellow appaloosa, gasping. “Oh my goodness, are you alright, what happened!?” she followed up with, upon seeing the mare's scars over her eyes.

Of course, poor Kahlua was a fool queen. Not everybody can be perfect. So she said what came to her mind, and what had come to her mind was the poor newcomer's injuries. Kahlua only hoped she had not offended the pretty woman. She had never intended to come here and make an enemy. Still, she couldn't help but shift backwards slightly as a memory invaded her mind. The last time she had commented on somebody's facial disfiguration she had ended up in a fight that she had not wanted to be in. She felt her muscles tense as she prepared to run off. She had no interest in fighting this day. Just in case it helped, she added softly, “I'm sorry,” and looked down.
Image Credit to Silk

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Hidden Account
Xyroca
The golden mare's ears perked up with the sound of an unfamiliar voice, subconsciously taking a step back out of nervousness. Lily took a protective step forward, ready to face whomever was approaching regardless on whether or not they could see her. 'I'm Kahlua!' Jahzara's fear began to melt away when she realized that it was a female approaching her, and she turned to try and find where the stranger was coming from. Before she knew it, a lovely black and white mare stood before her.

Jahzara offered a friendly smile, but it quickly vanished when she noted the expression on the stranger's face. Her auds flicked back with confusion, not fully understanding what the mare meant when she asked if she was alright. "I...er..." With a gentle shake of her head, Jahzara expressed her confusion before Lily stepped forward. Dropping her gaze towards the hallucination, Jahzara listened, though to anyone that saw her, she may as well have been looking at the ground. 'Jay, I think she is talkin' about your scars...' "Oooooh..."

The golden beauty nodded that she understood before looking back up at the painted vixen, who by now had already pulled away. Jahzara really did see her question as rude the way others might have, rather as curiosity and concern. "It's alright, I'm fine. Really. These scars are nearly as old as I am...An attack from a cougar when I was young." Turning her head to better see the mare with her healthy brown eye, Jahzara's friendly smile returned. The bi-colored mare seemed kindly enough, a welcome trait. With child-like exuberance, she tried to help the other mare relax a bit. "You said your name's Kahlua? That's pretty! My name is Jahzara!"

'Ahem!' The stout little pony coughed, drawing the Arabian cross's attention once again. Though merely a symptom of schizophrenia, little Lily did not like to be left out when it came to her best friend. The pony thought of it as a test of sorts, to judge the type of person they were talking to judging by their reaction to Jay's introduction. "Oh! Of course, this is Lily. She insists on being introduced sometimes..." With a toss of her muzzle towards the earth, she indicated where Lily was standing. As though introducing an old friend to a new acquaintance, Jahzara spoke of Lily as though the pony truly was there.

Kahlua
The Sunshower

Well, the queen was not stranger to odd actions, and so as the new mare looked to the ground, Kahlua still waited patiently, sure that she was about to be attacked. Was the mare planning what move she might make- how to bite, where to kick, when to slam? Only the brief flash of a friendly smile that she had seen on Jahzara's face was what kept her here now, prevented her from running away entirely. Perhaps there was a chance, no matter how small, that the palomino would accept her apology... Kahlua could hope.

And, it seemed her hoping may have worked. That, or the gods were smiling upon her this day. Jahzara's friendly voice filled the air and in a flash, Kahlua's fluid emotions led her back to happiness and excitement at meeting a new friend. Her body visibly relaxed, her muscles loosening, and she took a step forward again, decreasing the distance between she and the palomino. “Oh! That sounds terrible!” she commented upon the cougar attack, her concern as real as could be. “I'm so glad you're alright.” And with that, all thoughts of being attacked by Jay were gone from the queen's head.

And so she listened, repeating Jahzara's name in her head several times, committing it to memory. She wasn't good at much, but names she could remember well. Jahzara and... Lily? The queen furrowed her brow for a moment, looking to empty space that Jay had indicated, but she did not let herself be confused for long. She had heard whispers across the land of invisible creatures called boggarts- companions that bonded with the horses in much the same way a dragon or a kitsune would. So, simple minded as she was, she quickly concocted a story for why she could not see the aforementioned Lily.

“Well welcome to Helovia then, Jahzara and Lily!” Pausing for a moment to toss her head to indicate Jay should walk with her (if she wanted to), the queen quickly chattered on. Extroverted social butterfly was an excellent description of her personality. “Walk with me then, of course you wouldn't want to just stand here after arriving. You're so lucky to have had someone to travel with. I was all by myself for a whole year! It was awful. But never mind that, tell me about you, do you like it here? Are you looking for a home?” And she could have gone on with a whole other round of questions, but she forced herself to be quiet long enough to listen. It was so nice to be able to just be around someone normal for a little while. Especially after having to be nice to Illynx, of all horses.
Image Credit to Silk

Hidden Account
Xyroca
Lily beamed as their new acquaintance looked right at her, or at least in her general vicinity. Raising her head proudly, the violet hallucination tossed her mane before declaring her opinion to Jahzara. 'I think I rather like this gal! The golden vixen was only half listening, her lips stretching into a smile as Kahlua officially welcomed them to...What was it called? Helovia? 'Strange name, but I've heard weirder. C'mon Jay, let's see where she's headed.' With Lily's sign of approval, Jahzara sheepishly began to follow after Kahlua.

Her curiosity led her to follow more than anything. Jahzara was completely fascinated as the pretty mare went on and on with a stream of questions, barely able to catch everything she was saying. "Oh, I'm never alone anymore. I always have Lily! And when she is not around there is Archie, or the butterflies, or even Charles...Well, Charles isn't my favorite. Bad things happen when Charles is here..." Her eyes glazed over while averting her eyes to the ground, her voice trailing off as she mentioned her least favorite hallucination. Maybe she shouldn't have mentioned him...Trying to change the subject, Jahzara quickly caught up to the mare's side while lightening the topic of conversation. "I couldn't imagine being alone for a whole year. Why were you alone?"

Before she could even get her own question, she was thrown off by Kahlua's questions. "Oh, well it is pretty here. From what I've seen so far, at least. My last home was a lot different from this place." She flicked her ears back into her mane as she thought back to the Triminister Cliffs, her last home led by the stallion that had force claimed her. She realized that if it hadn't been for their son, Jahzara would still be living as a prisoner there. The thought of being in need of a new home hadn't even crossed her mind before Kahlua asked. She was so used to wandering, so used to following her hallucinations, that she had never really thought of herself as homeless. "I'm homeless now..." The vixen whispered to herself as this new realization sunk in, causing her to stop in her tracks.

Lily stopped as well, disappearing briefly before materializing by Jahzara's leg. 'Oh, don't you worry Jay. Even being homeless is better than living under that wretched brute's control. Maybe you can make this your new home! Already the other horses are nicer.' Jahzara was only half listening as tears began to line her eyes, thinking back over the past couple of years over how far she had come since her birthplace. She never really stopped to think about her parents or her sister, never really came to understand that she was no longer a princess of Ilnalia. Her crown drooped low to the ground to be near her imaginary best friend. Despite having been years since she had last seen Ilnalia, her mentality being like that of a yearling was only just now letting her comprehend it. 'Oh, no Jay...No don't cry, we'll find you a home Jazzy! I promise...'

The hallucination looked over to the black and white mare once again, narrowing her eyes with interest. 'Ay, you asked about her needing a home, would you be able to offer her a good home?' Jahzara knew that Kahlua would be unable to hear Lily's question, but it brought a small smile to her muzzle to know she was trying. With a sniffle, she leaned towards the purple pony before trying to compose herself.

Kahlua
The Sunshower

Poor Jay, stuck with the jabber-mouthed paint as a guide into this new and foreign land, but perhaps it could have been worse. If stupid and talkative, at least Kahlua was kind. Therefore, she listened patiently as Jay described Archie, butterflies, Charles… She was not concerned in the least about any of these things. Archie, clearly a friend who was just not around right now. Butterflies- a sort of magic that she had seen before. Ktulu had fireflies that followed her, after all. And Charles… Well, since Jay was clearly Kahlua’s newest good friend, Kahlua disliked Charles as much as Jahzara seemed to. “Well never mind about Charles, you’ll be safe here,” she decided with a resolute nod. Not that she could really offer any safety of her own accord- but that was what warriors were for.

And had definitely heard Jay’s question to her, but rambling on was her specialty. She decided to wait to answer it- the question not forgotten, but happily ignored for a while. Besides, there were more pressing issues. Jay was homeless. Kahlua’s heart went out to the new mare as she recalled her own welcome into Helovia. How lonely she had been until she was greeted by a great, hulking stallion with massive bat wings. And though she had stared in wonder, having never seen a pegasus before, she had ventured bravely into the land because any company was better than none. The sight of tears on her new friend’s face made her quick to speak in response. “You don’t have to homeless, you know. I’m queen of the World’s Edge. You could come live with us, if you wanted.” And her bright eyes danced merrily as she looked upon Jay, hoping that she could subdue some of the tears that were threatening to spill over.

“Our goal as a herd is for peace- we just want a peaceful Helovia. I think we’re doing pretty good, actually. Even the unicorns from the Basin seem to be leaving everyone alone. Thank goodness. Cue dramatic sigh. “Think about it.” And, to make sure that Jay felt like she had plenty of time to think about it, as Kahlua had said, the painted queen began to ramble off into her own story about how she had arrived here and why she had been alone.

The story was short enough, and so it didn’t take long to explain. She had been living with her family in a place called Avalon. A fire had broken out, somehow, and destroyed everything. She had been on a mountainside at her father’s Cathedral home, so she had seen everything from above. When the fire broke out, she had galloped away, but only after trying to find her twin brother. Unfortunately, he had been nowhere to be seen… She stopped there to sigh again. Of all her family, she missed her twin Fuhrer the most. Then she went on to explain how she had wandered alone for a year, trying to find a place to stay, but she had been unsuccessful until Helovia. “Then the Edge took me, thank goodness!” Of course, talk of home led the queen to angle her path towards the draconian forest. Subtle? Maybe not. Hopeful that Jay would accept her offer? Definitely.
Image Credit to Silk

Hidden Account
Xyroca
'See? I told you I could find you a home!' Lily exclaimed with pride after Kahlua officially gave them her offer. 'Oh, wait a minute Jay. Let's mull it over first...I believe she means well, but we don't know what kind of herd she has.' Kahlua's timing could not have been more perfect as she began to talk about her herd, and Jahzara lifted her crown with interest as the tears began to dry, only followed by a sniffle. A herd whose entire goal was for peace? Nothing could be more fitting! Just as the golden vixen was about to open her mouth to respond, she was caught off guard when the Queen mentioned...unicorns?

Even Lily's brow raised on the mention of the magical creatures, her muzzle scrunched up to give Kahlua a funny look. 'Ooookay then, maybe she's a little off her rocker too then...' She muttered to Jahzara under her breath, her tone full of disbelief. "Lily!" Jahzara hissed back in a shocked whisper, embarrassed that her friend would even jump to such a conclusion, much less make such a remark about it. 'What? Don't get me wrong, I still like her. But think about it Jay, she welcomes me and talks about unicorns. Maybe she's just...you know...Maybe she's a bit like you?' That really didn't make the golden mare feel better, and she expressed her distaste with a stern look to the purple pony. She was insulted that Lily would say such a thing, calling her 'off her rocker' like that!

A sheepish grin spread across the pony's muzzle, auds flicking back into an embarrassed neutral position. 'Sorry Jay, I didn't mean it the way it came out.' Satisfied with her apology, Jahzara gave an accepting nod as she returned her attention to the Queen. Politely, she gave a dip of her muzzle. "I apologize, had I known you were a Queen, I would have shown proper respect earlier." The palomino was surprised as Kahlua so willingly gave her back story. She hung on to every word, like a filly being told of an adventurous story. It was like a fairy tale in her eyes, Kahlua was a princess living in a fairy tale that brought her to become a Queen. After all, do not all fairy tales usually start with a tragic event that lead to a happily ever after? It was something that Jahzara admired, and hoped to someday find on her own. Her own fairy tale. Perhaps that is what this place, Helovia, would bring her. To turn her tragedy into a fairy tale.

"What do you think, Lily?" Jahzara asked aloud, waiting for her best friend's opinion on if they should accept her offer. Lily took a moment to inspect Kahlua once more, as if judging whether or not to see if she would reveal any sign that she had been lying to them and feeding them false pretenses. She waddled up to face the paint head on, before lowering her little head low to the ground. Her bow brought a grin to Jahzara's muzzle, and somewhat matching her friend's position, she lowered her crown in a respectful position. "We would be honored to live with you and your herd."