the Rift

[PRIVATE] sidera nobis

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit
Sulking.

It was something Sitka would never let me do. He would distract me, pull me along to some other adventure, or otherwise comfort me so that I didn't become lost in the darkness of my own thoughts.

But he wasn't here anymore. I was alone with my thoughts, with my sorrow, my grief, my depression. And they took me, they stole everything about me away - my smile, my control, my will to live.

Something kept pulling me south. I didn't know what. I didn't have the strength to resist it. Darkness around me didn't bother me, so as the trees spread out below me, and my coat began to take on the ethereal glow of the cosmos above, I simply descended, and settled atop a thick, supportive branch.

Slender limbs carefully chose an area that would not bend beneath my weight, as I used the glow from my own body to discern a safe place to roost for the night. Windswept hair cascaded over the edges of the branch, as my tail curled up around my folding limbs. The dried leaves rustled around me, the branch creaked beneath me.

I had little care for my safety, for preserving my life, at this moment. I listened as the sounds of the forest around me awoke in the night, as creatures of all shapes and sizes scurried below and above me. Some looked up at me, I could see my glow reflect off the back of their retinas. Others didn't seem to notice the bundle of stars that roosted in the canopy above, perhaps simply mistaking me for the actual stars in the sky above us.

My thoughts did not rest, though my body tried to. Physically, I was still, but mentally, I was running the same old marathon - continually pushing myself to exhaustion, yet unable to rest. I simply stared off into the dark, images of your face floating before me, but just like the stars that reflected upon my hide, you were forever out of my reach.

@[Lace]
bg - table
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
    Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
    Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
    Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

If there was anyone who excelled at sulking it was Lace. But for a while now he had been strangely free of the emotion, blessedly spared from the darkness and cold of unjustified anger, resentment and guilt. Not even sadness clouded the cob-webbed features as he roamed through the nightly forest, alone for once as Fajira had left to do some hunting. It wasn't something he was accustomed to, this carefree attitude; it made the stallion feel lazy, shameless and a tad reckless. At the same time it was incredibly refreshing, enough to make a grin play stupidly across his lips.

There was no plan to go by. No goal to reach for (at least not for the moment) and no duties to fulfill. It was just him and the dragon and the night, and the mare in the tree... who blended in so well with the canopy that Lace had managed to walk past her before he even realized what he had seen. Stopping dead in his tracks he paused and looked back over a gold-ticked shoulder with doubt splayed vividly across the face, as if doubting his own eyes. Then, upon confirming what he had seen with a snort of incredulity he doubled back and went to stand beneath the branch, an unlikely Romeo gazing up curiously towards the decidedly grim face of Juliet.

"Wouldn't it be... you know, safer, to sleep on the ground?" he asked in way of greeting. Amber eyes regarded the branch on which she lay with some doubt, fearing for the stability of it beneath her (undoubtedly featherlight, but still) weight.

Like a distant echo he could feel Fajira's curiosity kindle in regards to his discovery, but seeing as she was quite far away and just had downed a fat fowl to sup on, it was doubtful whether she would come to check it out any time soon.

@[Cirrus]
    CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
    BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
    ♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
    ♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
    The Store | The Warden

Whit
    Golden eyes glowed at me from below. They could have been predator's eyes, and I wondered sleepily if I was about to be ambushed by some cat. I shivered, though the night was warm. Bruises still ached my body from my recent scuffles, and my face was still a bit messed up. The stench of blood was something I had grown so used to, I barely noticed it any more. Maybe it was infection, maybe fever, (maybe both), that let me see a strange, golden and silver creature below, looking at me, as if sizing me up. I felt like shouting at it, like challenging it, like taunting it into coming up here and having a go at me.

Instead, I curled my crown down into my chest, hiding my teary eyes behind the fold of my wing, ignoring it, almost inviting it to climb up here and take me while I (try to) sleep. But it didn't. Instead, a voice floats up to my audits, saying something about safety and being on the ground. I scoff at him, unable to continue my front of ignoring the world, peering over the fold of my wing to look down and reassess exactly what it was that was addressing me. The figure of a stallion, equine, stood out more clearly now, as I blinked back the tears and sweat that fogged my vision earlier.

I leaned over slightly, moving to stand again, ignoring the protests of the branch. "I can sleep wherever the f-" I don't get to finish my sentence straight away.

My eyes widen, as suddenly, I feel myself drop down a foot in height. My wings open, and I brace myself. "Fuck." It's more of an utterance, an acknowledgement of the dire situation I was in moments before that situation unfolded.

Wind stirred, gusts of it billowing upwards around me. But it was too little, too late. With another resounding crack!, I found myself flailing like a drunk, stunned starry pigeon down, down, onto the ground.

A deep grunt vibrated in my chest, as the wind settled again suddenly. Dirt and dust stuck to my sweaty hide. Somehow, I managed not to land on the stallion who was nearby, though I didn't know what had happened with the branch. With a groan I roll off my side, gingerly testing each appendage, gladly finding nothing aching much more than it was before. My sharp eyes then peer around, locating the stallion. Anger rolls off me, steam rising from my hide as my breaths become deep and more forced. I scowl at him, annoyed at myself - until suddenly.

I laugh.

Maybe it was the fever. But I couldn't help it, couldn't control the gasping laughter that rolled out of my throat in waves, bowing my tiara down as tears flooded my eyes - whether they were from the current laughter or the previous sorrow, I would never know.

@[Lace]
    bg - table
    as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

She moved, lifted a dark head from the folds of a star-strewn wing and glared down at him with fierce blue eyes that to him seemed aglow with annoyance. A jolt shot through his chest as he met her gaze, as if lighting had struck in the vicinity and he had gotten a share of the sizzling energy. It was a peculiar sensation, like ants crawling over the skin or the fluttering of a moth so close that he could feel the jet stream from its smattering wings - he couldn't remember when such a feeling last came over him.

He opened his mouth to say something, but she intercepted him; with sudden trepidation he watched as she stood up and began to speak, voice just as fierce and intense as her eyes and the words colorful. He wanted to shout out a warning when the seemingly thick and sturdy branch groaned and sank, tried to reach out with his innate magic to stabilize the wood and strengthen the fibers, just enough so that she would have time to get down safely... But there wasn't enough time.

Grimacing in horrible premonition Lace took a step back out of harms way. A gasp, a snap; he felt himself pummeled by a sudden violent gust of wind that whipped white tresses into his eyes and mouth and nearly choked him, and with a crash and dull thud the mare fell to the ground. She was lucky to escape virtually unscathed, and so was he. The branch had fallen just where he had stood moments before, and as the wind died down leaving nothing but upset birds and slowly falling leaves to tell of its passing he found himself staring at it, cold sweat breaking out along the neck.

"Close" Fajira commented from afar, leaving flashes of imagery behind; of blood and steaming red flesh, of crimson-splattered feathers scattered over the ground and a sensation of filling the stomach.
    "Too close he agreed, blowing a huff of upset breath through flaring nostrils before finally discovering that he was able to move again.

Pushing the mental imagery from his dragon away - it was much too vivid for his taste and way too colorful considering what could have happened here - the stallion stepped over the fallen log and padded quietly over to the star-colored girl. His frown of concern stiffened as she turned to look at him, the anger in those dazzling sky-blue eyes almost palpable. Did she blame him for her fall? But he hadn't done anything, had just asked... Confused, worried and rather puzzled he watched as the anger suddenly faded, replaced for a moment with a horribly blank stare... and then she burst out laughing.

He stood there quite perplexed, without a clue what to do. An ear twitched nervously, he shifted his weight between legs and gleaming yellow eyes tried to look at her and anywhere else at the same time as tears streamed down the dark cheeks. 'Are you alright?' seemed such a redundant question. She had fallen from a tree, a drop of several feet; of course she wasn't alright. And yet there were so few words to choose from at that very moment, Lace's thoughts horribly numb and empty in the face of this girl who cried and laughed before his feet. He felt like a colt again, a feeling he wasn't very fond of.

"Does it hurt?" he eventually managed to say, the words clumsy but the concern in the soft voice honest enough. Rather cautiously he took another few steps towards her and bent down low, a dark velvet nose reaching over to brush away the tears that stained her pretty face.

@[Cirrus]

The Store | The Warden

Whit
    It shook my frame. The laughter shuddered through me, uncontrolled, uncontained. It came out in gasps, and I knew it was bordering on that crazy kind of state of mind, that one where I am simply swallowed by the impossible hilarity of any given situation - currently, my falling from a tree seems to be hilarious enough. The motion hurts, my aching ribs and bones complain about it and yet continue to vibrate as the violent laughter refuses to cease.

Something presses against my cheek, and I lean into it, comforted by its touch. Without opening my eyes, without actually acknowledging anything going on around me, I pretend that it is my father, returned from the dead, comforting me as I cry over a skinned knee from my latest failed attempt at landing. The warm breath cascaded down the curves of my façade, the soft, plush muzzle wiped away the tears that stained my cheeks. I let the moment happen, I clung to it, for once not pushing away the chance at intimacy but instead finding myself craving it, yearning for it, begging for it. I make to move myself closer, still blind, letting the tears seal my eyelids shut, letting the masculine, muscular, musky form fill that gaping hole within me.

And for a moment, I am allowed to forget that you are not here, allowed to let you go, to find solace in the embrace of a complete stranger.

Then, of course, I remember, that he is indeed, a complete stranger. Through the fog of a fever, I open my eyes again, eyelashes fluttering against the thick nape of the steed. Though I know he spoke earlier, it isn't until now that his words register; Does it hurt? I pull away, gingerly taking my steps, my posture hunched and bracing, though not just from the physical burden of injuries I carry. The fracture within me has opened up again, revealing your absence, screaming it at me, like it has since the day you left me. I shiver, though sweat coats my hide. The fever that rattles my frame makes the surrounding summery night feel cold, so hot is my body temperature comparatively.

The laughter has stopped, having died off sometime between when the stallion first reached out to me and when I then leaned into him. Instead, a deep, shaky sigh fills my lungs, and on its exhale, I open my eyes once more, blinking back the salty crust that has sealed them shut. "You have no idea." I say, not knowing whether I was talking about physical or metaphysical pain, both of which were causing me grief at the moment.

My eyes trail towards his own again. An odd smile curves my lips as his golden gaze reflects the starry pattern of my own hide. "The stars are in your eyes." I comment quietly, hardly aware of the oddity behind my words. The fever has fogged my vision, it has made my body hotter than a sauna, and now it has invaded my mind.

The Sun God lied. I was still lost.

@[Lace]
    bg - table

• I enjoy being tagged.

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

He half expected her to flinch away from the touch and was surprised when the girl instead leaned into it, even rising to her feet so as to get closer. Amber eyes widened in momentary shock, but Lace didn't move; stock still he stood as she cried against his skin, her body so hot where it touched him that he thought she might burn up any moment. Was she ill? Concern deepened within, and with a thought he sent Fajira away from her meal to fly over the area in search for someone, anyone, that could help. She obeyed grudgingly, though admitted to sharing his frustration; one of these days they would have to learn how to help the sick and injured themselves because the rate at which they stumbled over them was quite alarming.

When the young mare finally withdrew - leaving the grullo with an odd sensation of loss - he gave her a careful smile, sympathy in his eyes when she replied hoarsely. Looking closer at her, he could see signs of a fight on her frame, scabs covering recent injuries - there was no foul smell or pus coming from them, but judging by her raised temperature the girl had quite a fever running.

"I'm Lace" he said softly. "What's your..." he tried to continue, then blinked as she spoke, sounding quite delirious as she compared his eyes with the stars. Not sure whether he should be worried or laugh, he chose the latter (though it was a kind and rather embarrassed laugh). "You're the star child here, my dear" he returned and let the gaze roam in admiration across her skin, across which all the heavens seemed displayed in unearthly, almost eerie beauty.

"You don't look too well though. Is there anything I can do for you? Shelter maybe, or warmth..." Reaching within himself the self-appointed outcast summoned the heat that always surged within his own body, calling it forth with a slight exhale. Immediately a bright light flared up slightly above their heads as a tiny, miniature sun burst into life and hung suspended in the air, casting warmth and a golden glow down over the ground and the horses. It would take some effort to maintain it for very long, but it was better than to remain in the dark; the summer night wasn't exactly cold, but for a sick person it still wasn't healthy.

---
    @[Tandavi] ooc: sent Fajira to look for help, maybe she can find Tavi and bring her there? :)

The Store | The Warden

Whit
    I stare, lost, helpless, into the stranger's gaze. The eyes that peer back at me are a muted gold, a hue that is probably like liquid fire when the Sun fills them with his light. But now they are desaturated in the dapplely moonlight, and reflecting the stars which glow softly upon my own coat. I peer into them, willing myself to fall deep, deeper into them, to find myself in there, to find something in there that might fix the broken shell of a pegasus I have become.

I shiver, cold, though I know the night to be hot and my skin hotter.

Lace, the name echoes in my mind, and I realise that before I mentioned the stars in his eyes, he has told me his name. My gaze refocuses hazily, and I see beneath the strands of pale forelock that decorate his crown, there begins the lines of a web, which stretch down the ridge of his nose and split into the likeness of a true spider's artwork. I reach out gingerly with my maw, my whiskered muzzle aiming to tickle the lines of the web, my lips yearning to taste his skin - though for what reason, I could not tell you.

He mentions the stars again, and I pull away, amusement burning behind my eyes as a smile lifts the edges of my mouth. "Do you like them?" I ask suddenly, wanting to know what his thoughts were on the matter of my appearance - it didn't matter that my appearance was rather lacklustre at the moment, coated with sweat, and with steam rising from my rump, I still felt compelled to arch my nape and bend in such a way that displayed my bodice for him to admire.

Then, quite suddenly, there is a Sun amongst us.

I blink, surprised at the sudden appearance of a fiery orb, the likes of which I usually associate with daytime or the presence of the God himself. As my eyes adjust, I see the gold lining Lace's broad back, and again, I feel compelled to reach out, to touch it, to taste it. Even I, in my fevered state, could appreciate the warmth this mini sun beams out, and beneath its glow I stretch out appreciatively, mimicking a feline who is just waking up, leaning back on my haunches and stretching my forelegs as far forward as they could reach.

When I rise to my normal height again, it feels like the world is tilting - or perhaps I was swaying. I smile, an eerie, comforting smile, at the stallion, and say softly, "I'll be your starlight if you'll be my Sun~".

Then everything goes black.

@[Lace] @[Tandavi]
    bg - table

• I enjoy being tagged.

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

This girl clearly wasn't well. Lace watched her with mounting concern as her gaze slipped in and out of focus, somehow managing to remain on all fours but all the while swaying gently from side to side. He tried not to show how worried he was however, instead smiling softly at her as she stared into his eyes, transfixed by something he couldn't see. He kept smiling as she reached out a fever-hot nose and started nibbling his face; though on the inside he suddenly balked with a searing kind of embarrassment. For the girl, who apparently didn't know what she was doing anymore, for himself who couldn't decide whether he was amused or startled or aroused by the very warm, very soft lips that moved over the skin...

He was all sorts of relieved when she suddenly pulled away and let out a long breath he hadn't known he was holding. Despite the squirming within though, he found himself quite unable to look away from the night angel as she backed up a bit, squirming and posing to show off her star-strewn self. Something thick lodged itself in his throat. The grullo swallowed, once, twice, yet couldn't seem to rid the block that made him unable to speak properly. All he could manage was a kind of hoarse whisper, that sounded awkward and tame even to his own ears.
    "You're beautiful..." he murmured - and wished he could sink through the ground in embarrassment. Old stallion, standing starstruck (literally) by a mare barely out of her foal coat! He should be ashamed, he should turn and walk away right now, should...well, he should... yes, he should definitely stay and make sure she didn't hurt herself. Couldn't leave a clearly injured and feverish young lady all alone in the forest, now could he?

Golden eyes lingered with guilty delight on the winged lass as she basked in the rays of his sun, stretching out in a very cat-like way as though she had just woken up. He felt compelled to laugh at the sight, and was about to do so when she straightened up and looked at him, a horrible empty smile on her face as she mumbled nonsensical words. His smile died away, for a horrible second he watched her sway dangerously on the spot... and then she toppled over, eyes empty as her consciousness escaped. In a quick motion the stallion slipped forward and caught her weight against his side, grunting from the strain as he lowered her carefully to the ground and settled in beside her to keep her warm. Concern now glowed from his entire being as he examined her limp frame with a gentle nose, the soft skin wrinkling when reaching the scabbed over wounds. Clearly these weren't healing as they should. They didn't smell foul, but the fever was a clear indicator that something was very wrong. His heart beat faster as Lace looked up and stared around the forest floor in the light of his magic, searching the vegetation for any kind of familiar plants he knew the healers to use, anything at all that might help. But while he noticed several herbs, shrubs and fungi the old soldier didn't have the faintest idea how to use any of them. Helplessly he looked down at the star-strewn girl next to him, never wishing so fiercely as he did now that he had payed more attention when Smoke spoke of healing and wound-care.

"Please... hurry" he pleaded to his dragon; then got up on his feet, raised the small sun higher into the air and stared into the forest around them with grim determination on his face. If he couldn't help her, then at least he would make sure that nothing else got to her. He would stand guard all night if he had to, if it meant keeping her safe.

The Store | The Warden

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
    World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
    Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
    Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
    She's not quite sure what to make of the scene, the last of her family hovering anxious beside an unknown mare, her small form almost lost in the weight of his eyes. Lace's agitation is a strange and unwelcome change; the stallion has been a pillar of stability for the girl, and she flickers on the edge of confusion and discontent, hovering in the halo of her own bright light. She feels.intrusive, she feels left out, she feels like she does not belong, like she has once again stumbled on something private, something she cannot quite understand.

She is glad that Natraj lacks her trepidation. The boy does not hesitate to run up to the pair, and is quick to break into the haze of her alarm. Hurt girl, he snaps into her mind. Need to help; and she springs forward, thrown into action by the boy's voice and the kneading claws of the dragon on her back, thrusting away the confusing embarrassment- she'll deal with that later, confront her feelings in solitude and quiet. Right now, she thinks, this is what's important- saving the girl who lies still in the grass, and saving Lace from his sorrow and loss.

Long limbs stride through the night, hooves sinking heavily into soft, mossy ground. She glances at Lace and forces a smile, trying to appear reassuring, calm, despite the flutter in her breast and the pounding of her pulse. As she reaches the pair she drops to her knees, taking comfort in the feeling of the welcoming earth. Black gaze flits over the large-winged girl; she looks familiar, and her brother remembers rain in the Fields, and water for their God. Oh. Firechild tilts her head as she thinks, looking for wounds and finding none fresh.

Engrossed in her patient, she is blind to the night, and lets herself fall into the embrace of the fire. Magic runs heady through pulsating veins, exploding to life as she breathes on the girl, pushing her nose to the unconscious roan's. Flame leaves her nostrils, curling and sparkling as it seeks out the other girl; she lets it guide her, following it with her mind, black eyes shut and trust in the power. Cirrus smells of rain, glitters with power and tastes of blue, and it's beautiful, the girl thinks, something deep and mysterious she could get lost in. The copper child does not see the sparks that rise from her back, nor does she feel the soft patter of raindrops, the misting embrace of a cool summer breeze; she does not know that she is channeling the power of the fallen child, and in doing so tapping into something she does not know she has.

She knows only that she is tired, and as she opens her eyes she sees that the night is full of fire and falling stars, sparkles of flame that leave her spine and wrap around the other mare. Tandavi blinks, her smile soft and bright; she looks to Lace, remembering his presence only now, as Natraj moves to wrap around the sky girl's forelegs, gold eyes waiting for any new sign of life.

@[Cirrus]
    blah blah blahblah blah blah blahblah

THE FIREDANCER
    for it was I who walked among the falling stars, and did not burn
    credit | credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
    o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
    o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Whit
    Peace.

The darkness brought silence, solitude. I felt very little, what I did feel I did not comprehend. A warm touch, an embrace, I wasn't sure whether it was against my mind or my soul - I leaned into it regardless, discovering that it was indeed my soul that felt physically comforted by a presence was as yet, unable to define. I thought it was you, returned to me, your warm, fiery soul drying out my own damp, rainy one, your wise words and soothing voice stroking at the anxieties of myself back down to simple murmurings that I could handle with ease. I thought I heard your song, singing to me once more, the way you had sung for my father. I thought I heard his voice again too, the voice that was so much like yours, I could not tell them apart.

But I was wrong.

You were gone.

Suddenly, my darkness was filled, exposed, illuminated by a burning, impending light. I felt my body jump in surprise, but then embrace it- it was familiar to me, a force I had once controlled, a force I had once mastered. The Sun God, I think, and the thought bounces around my head, bringing up images of the Lord in all his splendour, with fire licking at his wings and hooves, his temper scorching the earth and anything else he deemed worthy of turning to ash. He floats before me, and then he changes - his pelt fades, it desaturates to a silver-grey, his mane loses its creamy gleam, his wings vanish and then, a pale web draws itself across his façade. Gold lingers in touches upon him, a splash across his back, and the depths of his eyes. He glows, his form illuminated by the Sun he has summoned.

Another is near, the Sun splayed across her hide, the magic of light and fire and healing coming from her and into me. It fills me up, burning out any remnants of a fever that had stolen my body, clearing my vision even as I blinked away the troubling fog of infection. A pile of fur curls up on my forelegs, which have somehow folded themselves neatly beneath my chest, and I tilt my tiara to view the kitsune. I blink at it, once, twice, reminded of you - your memory is all that keeps me from reacting to it, from fearing it. I recognise it as a bonded, and then I see too, the pale dragon that accompanies the girl, the healer, and I blink again.

The wind picks up around us, and I smile, for once enjoying the cooling benefits it has to offer. I don't know how much time has passed, how long the girl poured her flames into me, how long they have been standing vigil, but as I lift my tiara, I feel whole again. Dizziness doesn't plague me, only hints of fatigue - nothing compared to before, however. It is easy enough now, for me to gently stretch out my stiff imbs and rise - being careful not to hurt or disturb those around me too much.

Then the foggy memories started trickling back into my consciousness.

I looked up, blinking at the cool raindrops that had randomly appeared (I quietly ushered them to still), and saw the devastation that was once where I intended on resting for the night. What was I thinking? I ash myself, as my gaze trickled down to look at the branches scattered over the area. Obviously not much, I answer myself, my gaze finally resting upon the stallion. If it was possible to blush, I would have right then, as I remember coyly stretching my form for him, and his deep, throaty compliment of it. Instead, I smirk, feigning confidence in my previous actions (not all of which I remembered clearly, nor really wanted to). I turn to the young girl who obviously holds my previous rank in my previous homeland, my dark muzzle hoping to touch upon her sunkissed self, my eyes hoping to convey the gratitude I felt before my tones murmured a quiet, genuine "thank you."

I look to the stallion now, and though my instincts scream at me to be wary, I find myself strangely at ease - he has seen me at my worst, at my weakest, and what was his response? To stand as my guard, to do what he could do help me.

I realised, with humbleness, that he probably saved my life.

"And thank you.." I say, as my limbs carry my forth. As I close the proximity to him, another memory, unbidden, flashes before me, one of taste, of strange desires, and I am sincerely happy that blushing is not something we equids are capable of. "I owe you one." My voice is quiet as I pause near him, searching fruitlessly for something to ease the awkwardness that was seemingly inevitable from this strange, curious interaction. "I'm Cirrus." I conclude, not sure what else I could offer, what else I could do to more past this moment. My wings itch for flight, the breeze tingles them, and I think about simply scrambling up through the canopy and flying across the night sky once more, leaving these land-dwellers behind. But something anchored me here, holding me back, asking me to linger a little while longer; and so I did.

bg - table

• I enjoy being tagged.

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

He stand watch as the hours go by, the night deepening the darkness of the shadows as the moon disappear behind thin, drifting clouds. At times he is sure he can see gleaming eyes peer out at them from the thickets, shimmering with reflected light and hunger. Their stares make his skin crawl, make his heart beat faster in fear and fury; with fierce snorts he half rear and toss the mane in warning, stomping the hooves into the ground until the eyes disappear. Maybe they would have been braver if the darkness had been complete; but this four-leg wields the god-flame and has brought day into the night. They hesitate, and in doing so they lose; the stallion isn't weak like the fallen mare, he doesn't smell of sickness and death. They leave, in hope of finding some easier prey; the summer is rich and plentiful and there are easier ways to fill the stomach than to battle the food and maybe lose.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed. It could have been an eternity as far as he knew; all the guardian knew was that when the dragon slipped into his awareness and let him know that she was coming, that she had found help, he felt dizzy with gratitude and relief. Why he was so desperate to save this particular horse Lace didn't know. Maybe it was because she was young, or because he had spoken to her, or maybe he just would have tried to help anyone who collapsed before his eyes. Maybe there were deeper, more primal reasons - he didn't stop to question himself over it. It was enough that relief washed through him, that he felt like a mountain had lifted from his shoulders. Breathing freer and more easily than he thought he ever had before, the stag waited impatiently as minutes ticked by, feeling the presence of the dragon grow stronger in his mind as they approached.

Fajira hadn't told him who she had brought. He hadn't known who or what to expect, but apparently he had built some kind of grand expectation of a divine looking creature that glowed with goodness, so that the sight of the fire-coated child made him feel (for the first time since he had first met her) disappointed. Suppressing a frown he wondered why she was there, what she was doing so far away from the Throat, how she - and Fajira - thought she could help here... Then he remembered her blustered confession from their run in at the threshold of her new blessings, remembered her high rank and the indulgent smile of the Sun God and felt a bright, welcoming smile riddled with relief spread across his face.

"Tandavi, I'm glad you came" he breathed and backed away from the star-winged pegasus as she approached with the kitsune forming the vanguard; completely unaware of the mixed feelings of the filly towards the whole situation. He hovered over the three of them and watched with anxious eyes as Tavi breathed her healing flames over the star-child, held his breath in wonder and amazement at the wounds burned away and dried out the fever. When the bird-kin finally opened her eyes he breathed out explosively and smiled at her, gaze lingering protectively at her frame as she managed up on her feet and looked around, thanking first the healer and then himself.

"Not at all, Cirrus" he said warmly and tasted her name as he uttered it, too relieved to be embarrassed by their conversation right away. Her presence make his skin tingle, and he find himself absorbed by her gaze, her voice, her mere existence. A faint guilt ghost through him when he realizes his neglect of Tandavi, but the feeling is fleeting and soon lost within his urge to make sure that she, Cirrus, is alright.
    "It was my pleasure.. not that I did much" he added quickly and stole another guilty glance at his young protégé. "I am simply glad that you feel better. How did you get hurt in the first place?" Without looking he registered the movement of the dragon, heard her wings beat the night air and suddenly felt sharp claws dig into his skin as she returned to him, to perch on his whithers. Her gaze was cold and clear as she stared down at the pegasus, the icy blue eyes both curious and critical as she inspected this individual that had earned such attention from her bonded.

@[Tandavi]

The Store | The Warden

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
    World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
    Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
    Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
    She tries not to sink beneath the weight of his relief, to let her soft gratitude go to her head- but she cannot help her feelings of pride, the swollen content that now, at last, she has found her place, validity for the confidence of the Sun which she has so uncomfortably worn. Limbs uncoil from the soft, dark ground, hooves pushing up against the earth; she stands, coal gaze resting beneath slightly hooded lids. Dark lips curl in an open smile; she thinks she could vanish in the bright blue eyes, be devoured by the magic she feels behind them, and it is only when the girl feels contact on her crimson skin that she flutters, surprised, and draws away.

She does not say You're welcome or Of course or I'm just happy you're better. Make sure to drink lots of water and rest well. Here are some herbs (this last one is the largest fallacy, for to be sure, the girl doesn't even know what most herbs are, let alone their medicinal properties. She makes a mental note to ask Andromeda). She does not say anything, because that is not her way, but her brother is there to fill her silence, barking his joy that the mare is well, pressing his body against the girl in hopes to lend his bonded strength. New magic, he murmurs just for her, pausing to chase a wayward spark. It lands on his nose and he sneezes, surprised with the knowledge it does not burn. The girl is too tired to heed this fact, though the back of her mind toys with it, enthralled.

The rain eases; she can feel magic being used against her own, and the sensation is curious and makes her blood twinge. She glances at the hovering light, relieved to for once have control over Lace's magic, pleased to see only one orb, which is not hers. Long-lashed eyes follow though to the stallion, only to find he is looking away.

Looking at her, Cirrus, the pretty sky-kissed mare who the girl knows is lovelier than she, older, probably wiser and cleverer too. Certainly more outgoing and forthright; black eyes watch as the mare steps forward, closing the distance between herself and Lace. A memory floats through the fire child's mind, the expression of Sacre and his abject obsession- Lace looks nothing like this, but she thinks she can detect a hint of it on his breath, the scent of fascination in the curve of his neck. It confuses, appalls, and makes her uncomfortable, unwilling to confront the thought in her heart: will someone look at me like that?

Could use the magic, Natraj puts in, effectively breaking her from her reverie. She frowns, glancing at the innocent face of the little fox, and he grins in response, pleased that he's drawn her from her own morose mind. Black eyes close and she shakes her head, silently releasing a pent up sigh. Her family has returned; so why now, more than ever, does she feel so alone?

"We should go." The words slip out without behest, flickering shadows in the false-lit night. A smile slips back onto her face, tired now, weary, and something else too. She raises her crown but the long neck stays low, shifting attention between equine and winged. "I..." A pause, for she can think of nothing else. "Lace is the one to thank," she murmurs at last, black gaze resting on her silver friend. Weight shifts and she steps away, head swinging back to face the forest, muscles straining to make their languid escape.

@[Cirrus]
    [ unless someone calls her back, you can play it as Tavi out ]

THE FIREDANCER
    for it was I who walked among the falling stars, and did not burn
    credit | credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
    o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
    o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Whit
    The girl who held my former position in the Throat departs, with quiet words and an awkward bow sketched by her crimson frame. I smile in her wake, mentally promising to visit her, to thank her again, properly, for her aid. I remember being a healer, using the magic gifted to me upon almost any wayward stranger, healing them to the extent where no infection nor physical ailments troubled their vessels any more, and receiving only words of gratitude.. It was enough at the time, sure, but one soon felt like they were nothing more than the title that their position held, rather then a creature wielding such powers. The fact that I had made myself promise to visit the Throat, to visit this Tandavi was a gesture I'm sure the girl could not fathom, for how could she understand when she knew nothing of the dark past that land held for me? But, a promise was a promise - now I just had to see it through. I would learn as much about the girl as I possibly could, and I would do everything in my power to repay the debt I owed her.

If I owed the girl a debt, then surely I owed the stallion one too. It was his actions that had summoned the girl, at least, that much I could assume through the fact that the pale dragon which perched upon him rump was clearly bonded to him, and the kitsune that had accompanied the girl was bonded to her, yet the dragon had arrived with the girl.. I knew intimately of the bonds that connected such creatures, and I grimaced slightly as the memory washed over me once more, the sense of drifting, lost, within my own dark abyss. But things like present conversation, distraction, relief, life pulled me away from those dark, introverted thoughts, and I had to smile a small smirk at the thought that though you were gone, perhaps there were those who could do for me similar to what you did. Not exactly the same, never exactly the same, for nothing could ever mend a fractured soul, but similar, at least. A superficial covering, a scab over a bleeding wound, it wouldn't last long, unless the scab proved more stubborn then I initially surmised.

The dragon's cool gaze seems to rake over my entire frame, and I bow to her, reverent and duly paying my respects to the companion of what I supposed was a new friend. "What's your name?" I asked the dragon quietly, ignoring for a moment the prodding of the stallion who was her bonded, focussing upon the pale lizard with interest - wondering if there was any way she could see the broken, shattered mess that I was inside. They say the eyes were the windows to one's soul - and mine were currently locked with the dragon - what did she see?

It wasn't something I would get an answer to, probably ever. My attention soon returned to the stallion, my half-grin returning, friendly amusement glittering behind the sharp, electric probe of my eyes. "You did plenty." I say quietly to him, refusing to let him humbly reject my thanks. Though I thought my life no longer worth living (evidenced perhaps by the fact that I kept getting into fights..), the fact that someone, even a complete stranger, thought enough of me to keep the spark of life running through my veins.. It was a strange sensation, one that warred with my current mindset, one that forced me to rethink everything. It wasn't refreshing, nor was it exactly pleasant, but it was there nonetheless, and I would hold this Lace responsible for it. "I rejected a stallion's advances." I say curtly in response to his query. It was the truth, or at least part of it. My first venture back into Helovian borders, and I had ended up baiting myself before a volatile, bulky and drunk steed. "You think I was bad, you should have seen the other guy," I add with a playful wink, relieved to feel the features of my face moving as they should, instead of simply aching as blood pooled behind swollen flesh.

I looked to the small sun that was warming the area, squinting at its brightness against the dark, fanning my wings out from my sides so as to not get too warm. The stars shifted over my hide, as I look from the stallion to the Sun, grinning my half-smile once again at him. "Do you save damsels in distress often?"
    Cirrus
    the Wind Dancer
    x - x

@[Lace]

• I enjoy being tagged.

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

He threw Tandavi a guilty look as she turned to leave, torn between a desire to tell her to stay and relief that she was going. It was odd, uncomfortable, he didn't understand himself why he would think that for even a second - but by the time he caught his tongue and could speak, the girl was gone. Sighing quietly he turned back to Cirrus, to find her and the dragon locked in some quiet game; he hadn't heard the greeting she offered his bonded, only looked curiously on as blue eyes stared into one another.

Then Fajira did something odd, something she never usually did. She reached out towards the girl, a metaphorical finger of thought hesitantly trying to brush against the pegasus' soul. Uncertain though he was that she would be able to feel or see anything, Lace was fully aware of the flashing pictures that streamed from Fajira like a torrent; a snow-covered landscape seen from high above, blazing sunlight beaming down from a sky so bright it looked like molten lead, the light cast from the hottest part of a blue flame, hailstones and halibut bones upon a beach and salted rocks and painfully sharp glitter of scales beneath a full moon...
    "Fajira is her name" Lace uttered without intending to, so taken aback by her actions that he didn't even think to complain that the dragon stole his tongue. He turned to look at the scaly creature, curious and intrigued; but she simply blinked slowly, adjusted the wings and turned away without a sound. If anything at all changed with her, it might be that a slight tension had disappeared, a question answered - but Lace wasn't let in to find out what, and with a frustrated roll of the eyes he shrugged and left her alone.

Thankful to have something more normal to focus on he took to listen as Cirrus answered his questions, grimacing slightly when she revealed the reason why she had fought. "Remind me to never get on your bad side" he said with a slight smile, as impressed as he was intimidated by her statement. A quick check of himself made sure that he did not stare at her too much - he wouldn't want to receive the same treatment as the offending stallion in question.

"Hardly" he replied in kind, the grin widening. "I've found that most damsels are more distressing than distressed around here - I usually make sure to watch my tail for fire. But when they so obviously fall for me, what can a stallion do..." He winked humorously at her, teasing gently with a meaningful look at the tree she had chosen as resting place.

The Store | The Warden

Whit
    As the sensation began, I almost recoiled into myself, folded up and locked away all that I held dear. But it was a gentle, subtle touch, one that stroked in just the right way, and I found myself relaxing to it, welcoming it. It was a torrent that flowed through me then, as I simply revelled in the touch of another's soul upon my own fractured one. It wasn't the same as you, nothing ever would be, but it was familiar, comforting, foreign and yet I found myself wanting to hold onto it forever. Tears burned behind my eyes as I relived all that she saw, though they seemed to dry up once the dragoness withdrew her mystical touch. Fajira, the stallion said, though I could tell it was the dragon who truly spoke. My smile grew deeper as I nodded farewell to her embrace, and I hoped she could read the mixture of strange gratitude and loss that was tumbling through me.

The stallion's reaction to my words amused me. My mouth quirked into a kind smirk, one that held no maliciousness or ill-intent, one that simply conveyed the pleasure it was to be in the company of stallion who was easy to be around - one who knew the boundaries, and respected them, one who seemed to be genuinely good and honest. At least, that was her initial impression, one which he seemed to be holding up as the night wore on. He could have done any number of things to her while she slept off her fever, before Tandavi arrived, and he chose to protect her, to warm her with his own personal Sun, to ensure no harm came to her while she laid prone upon the forest floor.

"Your mate must be very tolerant of all the damsels throwing themselves at you," I spoke quietly, coming to the only logical conclusion I could. Surely a steed as mature and fine as he would be claimed already, surely his heart was governed by another, and that explained why he was so cordial, so generous with his kindness. He was one of those rare stallions, who, after growing through their adolescence and treating anything female like a sex toy, were finally caught and tamed by a single powerful woman, and because eternally unavailable thereafter to all who would think he would protect their hearts and theirs alone. Perhaps I was wrong, but it mattered little either way - he was unavailable to me as any of them were.

"I usually pick better trees," I added, catching the meaning of his glance at the shambles of timber that spread out before us. "But wounds left untreated fester," I spoke matter-of-factly, sadly, but also with a shrug as I wandered amongst the wreckage. "And sometimes, one willingly gives their mind up to the infection." Detached from the very words I was uttering, I lowered my crown and sniffed at the point where the branch broke from its trunk, reflected sadly on its similarity to the inner workings of my mind, my soul, very being.
    Cirrus
    the Wind Dancer
    x - x

@[Lace]

• I enjoy being tagged.

LACE</style>
    before the sun sets
    GLORY
    </style>

He laughed at this, sincerely amused yet with the faintest trace of bitterness laced throughout the voice - he didn't even notice it and would have kicked himself if he realized. "She would, if I had one" the grullo agreed, willing himself to push back all thoughts of the shadow-mare who still haunted his heart and soul. "Alas, I have yet to rescue my queen of hearts - I suppose she's just too good at staying out of trouble."

Gilded eyes rested quietly on the frame of the star-kissed girl as she moved around, watched her study the glowing orb of fire and warmth that still hovered over their heads and inspect the log upon which she had been perching earlier. The warm expression on his face dulled slightly when she spoke next, faded in face of her sad statement. Lace wasn't much of a philosopher, but even he could sense that there was something more underlying her words; Fajira still wouldn't tell him what it might be, but he supposed it didn't matter much - he could figure it out.

"All wounds can be healed" he tried, looking between the branch and the girl and wished he could read minds. "Sometimes it just takes time..." Turning his gaze over to the tree, Lace shifted forward into motion, padding towards the injured trunk on near silent feet with the light bobbing along above the back. He took some time to study the splintered, flaked wood, then reached out his mind to the tree to see what he could do. To Cirrus it must look like he had half fallen asleep where he stood, eyes half closed and shadow flickering around the feet, as if they too were taking deep, slow breaths. At first noting at all seemed to happened, but ever so gradually the breaking point began to smooth, bark grew in around it - but before it enveloped the area entirely a small shoot appeared, little more than a twig with hard, shiny buds where leaves would one day appear.

Breathing out slowly the stallion backed up and studied his work, gazing critically at the tiny beginning of a new branch. "It won't ever be the same as the original thing, of course" he commented, "but at least the tree will survive. And come spring, I'm sure the leaves will be just as pretty as the rest." Content he turned to move back to Cirrus, face betraying none of the hopes he held - that somehow he'd made her feel better, a bit more hopeful. No matter what she said he thought she looked lost, like she was still falling without knowing where the ground was or when she would reach it...

A small, secret part of him wished he could be there to catch her when she did.

@[Cirrus]
    The Store | The Warden

Whit
    The stallion laughs, and I wonder what has amused him so. I had made my assumption based on his manners, on his sensible and protective nature - perhaps he had foals of his own, a family who he was used to protecting from harm's way, and I had happened to luck into getting into harm's way in his presence. But then he denied his mate's existence, and I couldn't help the surprised widening of my eyes, the raising of a brow as I considered him for a few more milliseconds than normal. A smile quirked at my lips as he spoke of the queen of hearts, and I wondered, quite genuinely, how he had been overlooked by the flocks of females who surely had noticed him. He was young (in appearance, at least), in the prime of his life, boasting fine health and impeccable manners, a wisdom beyond his years and a bond to a beautiful dragon. I realised I knew nothing more of him though - his history, his desires, whether this was his true nature or simply a faux he paraded to get through life. And then I realised something else - none of it mattered. I liked him, at least, just the part of him I had seen.

It was a foreign thought to me, to think of spending time with a soul that wasn't yours, Sitka, and in your absence besides, and enjoy it. It had been so long since genuine, unrequited happiness had bloomed within me, and not been immediately followed by a wave of unstoppable guilt and smothering regret. I was still shy to admit it, keen to deny it until it had been proven to be successful numerous times, or at least until it happened so often that I no longer felt it was an important thing to notice.

My dull words brought the stallions attention to the fallen branch, the broken trunk, and I watched as he fell into a sort of trance - the one I knew was associated with calling upon magical energy - and I watched in amazement as he proved to be a stallion not only of Suns but Earth too. The scent of new life tingled in my nostrils, fresh and spicy and announcing the promise of new beginnings, second chances, of new things to prove to the world and the determination to succeed no matter what happened. The gesture rocked me a little bit, as its meaning sunk in even before he spoke again, causing a trembling to re-enter my limbs as nerves fire and an emotion I cannot define rushes through me. Was it excitement, or fear? Realisation that I had no excuses, that I had to move on from your death? I will never heal from the hole you left behind in me, Sitka, your absence is as much a part of me as your presence once was. He speaks, and my thoughts are thrust into a vision of the future, of when the branch grew out further, a healthy young suckling supported by its parents trunk, spouting its first leaves, maybe even some small flowers decorated its spindly limbs.

I tear my eyes away from the branch, and bow my crown down to my chest, eyes blinking back the burning of tears that threaten to overflow. I do not wish him to see them, to misconstrue them, for what he has given me was a gift, unbidden and unrequited, and I am not sure I am strong enough to accept it yet. I swallow back the saline liquid, and when I look up again, I try to reward the stallion with a genuine, grateful smile. "Thank you." I say softly, before I reached out to him with my plush muzzle, and blow my warm breath against whichever area it happened to land. I was not healed, not yet, but he had somehow convinced me that I could live on regardless, scarred and forever carrying the weight of my memories with me, but at least, living.

My wings spread out from my sides, and I indicated that it was time for me to leave. I needed movement, despite my tiredness, I needed space - the space of the sky above us would do. "I best find myself another tree," I murmur by his ears gently, clicking a wink over my nearest cerulean eye. As I pulled away from him, I looked to Fajira, bowing my crown to her, the action loaded with meaning I knew she would grasp. A similar expression washed over me as it had Lace just earlier, as I called upon the magic that would not only fill my wings with a robust breeze and give me ample lift for take-off, but also part the canopy above, where my star-kissed hide would rejoin the star-filled sky above.
    Cirrus
    the Wind Dancer
    x - x

@[Lace] TAGGING BECAUSE ILU

• I enjoy being tagged.