the Rift

[OPEN] In The Eyes Of The Beholder

Rhea Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

RHEA
“I am, in the end, exactly what you made me.”

She supposed they were imperfections, those marks, but they didn't feel that way to her; they were a history, cut into his body: the map of a life of endless war.
"

The ice and cold had never been something that bugged her like it did so many others. In fact it was actually more soothing in some strange twisted way. Perhaps it was the steely coating that encased her heart or the sheer lack of emotion towards the hardships of others that drove her into this state but she was what she was. Lifting her muzzle to the wind she could tell that she was beginning to tread onto someone's land but who's she hadn't a clue. Finding what she believed to be the borders she stuck to the edges to guide her journey towards whatever awaited up here.

With the temperatures and the frozen atmosphere it was hard to believe that anyone in their right mind would choose to inhabit these parts. The mare in the threshold had mentioned that this herd only accepted those of a certain species but she made it sound as if this place was horrible. Surely there was no herd that could be hated so much that others would refuse to associate themselves. Thoughts drifted back to her former herd as if to compare her theory. Well maybe there was the odd one but all those from her old so called family could all die for all she cared. No sleep would be lost, hell she would have happily slain them herself if she could have. If only there had not been so many of them maybe she would have either that or she would have gotten rid of her dear brother and taken the lead for herself.

Stopping briefly at one of the higher points of the landscape she gazed around to see what all was out there. Snow, ice and mountains was all that showed itself so far but there had to be more than this. The white mare had made this place out to be so horrible but so far nothing was even remotely horrid in her opinion. Was she missing something?

eirianstock@deviantart
[Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
Please Tag Rhea In All Threads
Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
The stench of feathers draws her to the border, her armored body framed in the shadow beneath the Sentinel and golden eyes searching the path for the stranger when she’d come. When she sees her, the Lady’s gaze narrows for focus and finds it is not only a flying thing but one who wears a horn, much like her Aithniel; disgust binds itself to the mask she wears, and with a glance over her shoulder to assure that Deimos or another of the more tenacious and likely to kill the poor girl is not barreling out of the land behind her, she sprints out of the herd and down the path where she had seen the silhouette of the woman but the woman had not seen her (slopes were ever so wonderful, weren’t they?).

Between the mare walking steadily forward and the Lady’s graceful gallop down to her, it didn’t take very long before Illynx arrives in the midst of the path that winds up to the hidden valley above, her golden body sliding to a stop, well used to the slippery and treacherous nature of the path. Drawing her sculpted features up to their full height of pride and dominance, she looks over the stranger with dark nostrils working to find the smell of the Edge; it is absent.

Her smile grows sharp, suddenly, where it had been wondering and tentative.

The soft, subtle sound of wind being broken overhead reveals Kyst, having been left behind at the border with the small rodent she had been playing with and now catching up. Landing with a thump on her bonded’s back, the griffon turns her icy eyes to the stranger and watches with an unblinking stillness.

"I cannot say welcome, for you are very near trespassing by being on this path -" her voice is sweet and without a threat aside from the words that it floats over, and she inclines her head in a traditional way of hello, "but salutations, stranger. I am the Lady Illynx, one of the rulers of the Aurora Basin." Her first motion of business is to chase the poor dear away if she has no reason to be here other than curiosity – while it has been a long while since Illynx has seen the bright color of blood against the white of snow, they are in the middle of the path to and from their doorway. What would Kahlua say if she were to come up next week and find obvious evidence of a mauling?

I could lure her up, she thinks behind smiling eyes and her manipulative and skilled mask of friendliness and a gentle nature, but then Aithniel would see her. And would that be so bad? The girl was going to have to learn to fly from somewhere, even Illynx knows this – but she had always figured Kyst would do. A stabbing sensation at her lower neck lets her know that Kyst will have none of this, perceiving through the flashes of emotion enough to know that she had been involved with the hybrid child; while she was a griffon, she wasn’t stupid.

She saw how the others looked at that little one.

The tiny pain is ignored, instead deflected to look as if she’d rolled her shoulder and tilted her eyes to introduce the haughty griffon. "And this is Kyst. You are not of the Edge. What business have you here, my dear?"

[ OOC: I saw no mention of Sentinels so I assumed she was on the path still. :P Kick me if I'm wrong! xD ]
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

nickel

RHEA

She supposed they were imperfections, those marks, but they didn't feel that way to her; they were a history, cut into his body: the map of a life of endless war.
"

Flexing her feathered appendages as a cool breeze blew across the tundra the maiden turned to continue along the path she had been following. If there was some herd up here they certainly seemed to live in seclusion out of the range of prying eyes. A lifestyle much to her taste considering her dislike of irritating busybodies who couldn't mind their privacy. Shaking her locks away from her face she again raises her crown to observe the land only to hear a bitter sweet voice from behind her. It was about time someone showed themselves.

Pivoting her slender frame to face the stranger she regarded the mare with a calm neutral attitude. If she was invading onto some herd land like she suspected those who came to meet her may be anything but friendly. The golden unicorn was well built and had a clear sense of power to her with the way she carried herself she figured it would be best to tread carefully. Listening until the mare finished her little speech she refrained from speaking trying to put forth manners she had been taught once upon a time. The creature that accompanied this one was quite the interesting little thing. With the facial structure, wings and front half resembling that of eagle but the rest of it being that of a lion it was quite the sight. A griffon if she remembered her mythology correctly. This was the first of its species she had come across in her lifetime.

"I was beginning to think that the land was as barren as it appeared." She commented with a smirk before she continued. " No I am not one from this so called Edge, I don't lay claim to any of the lands in these parts."

It seemed weird that Illynx would automatically assume that she be from a herd around here. Was that the norm around here? Had no one heard of fending for themselves instead of the weak hiding behind the strong? From her observations that was what many of the herds consisted of that she had run into but what of this one? If she hadn't the sense to hold her tongue she could have likely made some sarcastic remark instead of the one she had on the whole topic. The lady's last question hung unanswered for a couple seconds before she wizened up and decided it was best not to leave it unanswered. But what was she doing up here? At first she had been curious as to what the hell would be up in this cold seemingly deserted stretch of land but now she wasn't so sure it was curiosity that had brought her this far. " I came up here looking for the Basin in the thoughts of potentially joining your ranks. A mare in the threshold had mentioned this place but did not sound very fond of it so I thought it might be worthwhile. You see I do not care to be in a herd that carries the weak and castaways like those they offered to me."

OOC: Nope she was just along the path <3
@[Illynx]

eirianstock@deviantart
[Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.

The smile that clings to the stranger’s lips floats over to the golden mare’s as well, the mention the vast whiteness of her homeland true enough in a way; it did seem abandoned and undesirable to those who had never seen the hidden haven nestled in the cold arms of the Steppe, and she remembers a humorous story of her youth of a land that was similar to her own having been named something terrible to keep guests away while the comparative of the frozen tundra had been titled a land of great value – which also kept guests away, because it was cold and a horrible place to live.

That the stranger repeats what Illynx already knows is lost in her temporary amusement at the memory, her words born from that same spark of thought. "Not all things are as they seem," she says, looking over the hybrid with a more broad smile having grown on her charcoal hued lips, "perhaps when one sees no one they should be more nervous than when they find many." Her head tilts, her face playful and ears alert as she giggles at her joke – places devoid of others were usually deadly or inhospitable, sometimes both.

In this ones case, the path is merely inhospitable – made more so by the eloquent Lady who attempts to keep her pretty mask of peace and pacifism in place just in case this is a rat sent to her by Kahlua. While she doubts the Queen is that smart, Illynx figures she has a few good minds around her, and they may doubt the tentative friendship she had been fostering with butterflies for thoughts and have sent a few little… birdies to investigate.

A look of thought crosses the strange hybrid woman before she answers the question that the Lady had tossed to her, Illynx patiently waiting with her floating smile and gracefully positioned body. As the explanation comes, many thoughts cascade through her like the winds of a summer storm, one after the other they buffet against one another.

Joining? Absolutely not. Her eyes stroke the length of her wings with disgust glimmering in their falsely kind depths.

Threshold and someone spewing ill of her people? Well, she’d have a few things to ask and say about that.

But she also mentions strength, and in the most flattering of ways.

Her brow arches gracefully over her smile that has lingered through all of her pondering, and another thought creases her; perhaps she can come in, if she is as brave as she hints at with all her talk of weakness and not wanting to be a part of it. Her fold is strong, heavy with soldiers and spies, and even the softer hearted of her kin have shown that they can withstand the oppression and darkness of war and plague. It has even grown, vastly so in the last year and few seasons as children were born and strangers lured from the Threshold.

"There are dark histories between my land and the others of this land, and some are slow to forget. Some are simply idiots who repeat whatever they hear and know next to nothing of the origins of what they say, and even more mistake our current goals to be precisely as they were to my predecessors, no matter how deeply I try to sway their hearts," she laughs lightly at the sake of the idiots she makes mention of, her golden eyes gleaming, "what have you heard of my kin? And from whom?"

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

nickel

RHEA

"

It was easier to be happier when you found no one in your path or at least that was how she felt majority of the time. Did that make her antisocial? Nah just someone who was tired of dealing with idiots and less beings who made everyone's life miserable. Her brother flashed to mind momentarily, yes he was definitely a prime example of the type of arrogant trash that people would be better without. Perhaps one day she would be the one to end his idiocy once and for all. His blood would be on her hooves and it felt like the most gratifying experience she would ever get in her lifetime. For now those dreams would need to be put on hold so that she could mastermind a foolproof plan to take him and her parents down.

Turning her bi-coloured eyes back the the golden queen she tried to read her expression of her finely carved mask. Surely there were emotions behind the exterior that remained hidden but what would those entail? "Most of what I heard came from the three mares that bombarded me upon entrance to this world. Two members were from The Falls I believe and the other from a desert herd." She commented failing to remember all the herd names that had been thrown at her. The spotted pegasus that had come from the land of sand had talked to much for her liking about what emotions she felt being there. Not exactly her cup of tea to say the least she was more familiar with the emotions of pain, anger and grief. Wishy washy emotions were useless and she refused to accept that she was able to feel them.

"Elsa was the pegasus from the Falls who claimed that this herd is a unicorn only herd. Not much else was to be said but the tones in which they were described seemed almost hostile." Come to think of it regardless of what she had asked the only information she had gotten was biased towards those two lands. Then again she was speaking to two pegasus and an equine what more was she to expect. "This is likely the first intelligible conversation I have had in my time here come to think of it. Pegasi and the useless normals don't make for the best of talks."

If it had not been for her bastard father she never would have had the wings upon her back. She could have lived life as a unicorn like the rest of the family instead of being the mutant of the bunch. Her mother was as much to blame for that move as her sire was, she should have known better. The sword upon her crown was her prized possession and all the better to spear and slice with. Its beauty was much preferred to the elegant feathers that made up her extra appendages.

@[Illynx]

eirianstock@deviantart

She hears the names of the two herds without much surprise – the Edge was the only of two offered to accept their friendship, and she has done nothing to ease the ache of a battle between her kin and those of the desert. That she recognizes the name of the Falls member most vocal about the way the Basin works is a slight surprise, and she sees the pale mare’s face flash before her thoughts with a bitter resentment held back from the two times the winged wench had bested her in the wilderness. Such things are not to be forgotten, and neither is the fact that miss Elsa is so openly spreading dissent with her tone.

What the hybrid says next, however, draws the Lady away from possible plots involving the kidnap and unfortunate… loss of a certain snowflake marked pegasus mare and into another favored region of her plotting, wicked mind. The pride which saturates the words is enticing, and that the woman has come here even after having been told that she would be unlikely to be accepted among them is also curious. The golden woman runs her eyes across the wings rising from her shoulders with a dark shudder of possibility grasping at her heart, though her eyes remain glimmering and unreadable and her mask is her usual friendly grin.

"Elsa did not lie. We are all unicorns on this mountain," she muses, her feminine lilt gracefully explaining truths to the woman before her, "it has been the way of our people since the Lord Frostheart and the Dark Empress were given respite in its splendor by the God of Time." Her words lack any harshness or cruelty, for it is only the way that it is: but there is hope for the strange hybrid at her doorstep yet, for there are those beyond the stone gateway that could rid her of the ugly blemishes left on her body by the careless actions of her parents; if she was lucky and wise, breeding with only worthy crowned men, her children could be born whole and beautiful in all the ways she was not.

"You, however, seem to show proper disgrace and humility for your condition," she simpers, a wicked twinge quirking her smile and darkening the glow of her eyes, "we have members skilled in the… alteration of disfigurements, if you have interests in such services."

nickel

At first the hybrid didn't exactly know what to believe about this land but as the queen explained things slowly became clearer to her. So the white winged one had been correct about the unicorn part but so far she was thinking that this was not such a bad place. Granted the lady before her was a little odd but who in their right mind was not a little weird in some way or another. Her own appearance was a prime example of such a thing with her shimmery underbelly but she was long over caring what others thought of her. She had broad shoulders to support herself, nothing else mattered. It was a matter of survival of the fittest and most adapted and she was certain that she was one of them.

As the golden queen continues the conversation the topic takes a rather interesting twist towards something she had never thought of before. Disfiguration? Did that happen to go along with the term dismemberment? The thought of it was oddly amusing but in the same sense not all too appealing for her to undergo herself. Yes she despised the pegasus race thanks to her father but would she really go as far as to rid herself of the appendages marking her as related? Much of her battle skill had been developed using her wings to her advantage to overpower opponents did she have enough skill to go without them?

"Alterations?" She questioned with mild interest. Perhaps she ought to find out more about the possible alterations before she completely dismiss the idea. " While they are a horrid reminder of the bastard who caused them they do happen have many advantages. Especially when coupled with the brilliant unicorn mind both of us share through our ancestors."

Smirking as the thought of such advantages leading to much success in the pain of others she continued. " Many may not trust that unicorns are far superior to other races but bearing such marks sure makes a difference when it comes to proving our strength. They also double for the ability to slip in and out of herds relatively unnoticed to gather important information."

She was an opportunistic creature by nature so why would it be logical to rid herself of something that otherwise had proved their worth over the years. It the golden mare could not see the many benefits she was blind to how useful it could be to their race. Perhaps she was scared of changes? Would their ancestors and gods not want to improve their species? Who was to say that this was not their opportunity to do just that.

•• TAGS: @[Illynx] •• NOTES: -- ••
Picture Credits

Her offer is not taken at immediate glance the way she had wished it to be, but there is hope, still; the mare inquires further as to the golden mare’s logic, and as she has always been known, she is without reservation in providing her answers. There is her own logic to counter, which Illynx takes in with careful consideration and a blending with her own corrupted thoughts, aimed towards tearing down the emotional strength of those born blighted and warping them to her own uses. The stranger, beautiful but for her blemishes, will not be an easy one to corrupt – perhaps her mind cannot be swayed at all. In which case, further common ground will have to be discovered.

Again, she thinks of her daughter, the unfortunate golden babe spared from the grasps of death in the height of spring’s braying songs. Her son loves the girl in all the ways that Illynx despises and pities her, the only reason she has been allowed into their fold and the main reason the girl had not already been subjected to the removal of her extra bits as Illynx was suggesting to this woman.

For Aithniel, there was hope, raised among the civilized and couth beings of the snow; for this one, reared outside the lessons to be offered by those of the superior kind, it was obvious that hope was minimal. The beast even spoke of her wings as if they were anything more than a blinking sign that warned of her tainted heritage and the failings that would forever name her.

"Ease is provided to the winged only when there is room for such unsightly things," she says, "the sky path is open to you, yes – but the trees will snag your feathers where a unicorn could slip through silent as death, and tunnels too narrow for your broad frame lie open for my properly proportioned kin." She smiles, soft. "Not to mention the fragility of such things. Horns of glass break with less ease than the bones within the marks of your fool ancestors."

Turning away as if in casual nonchalance, she lets her eyes settle on the horizon peering over the stone embankments that surround them for a moment before returning her eyes to the stranger, a thoughtful light sparkling behind them. "But perhaps they are useful to you, and your mind cannot be changed. Perhaps I will offer you a home in the vale above us. Many within will never love you as you are now," her gaze drifts down the length of the black expanse of her wings, nostrils taking in their musty and dirty stench, "many will seek to bring you pain, and sorrow. Are you strong enough to withstand such long term agony in the stead of a brief one?"

A musing expression takes her smile, thoughts returning to the pale girl that she had asked nearly the same thing earlier in the season when they had found her crying and distraught over her condition. It was a decision that Illynx could force her into – at the risk of losing any hope of the girl belonging to her at the end of the day, a chance she was not willing to accept. And so it was her choice, one begrudgingly left to the girl.

To let such a creature into her fold was to invite the chance that Aithniel would chose to keep her hideous marks, or that Aithniel could sway the new hybrid with her knowledge of the truth, shared with her since she was very small, further implanted by the constant sight of those without wings and wearing horns.

What a dangerous risk - that perhaps could benefit her no matter the outcome.

nickel

Even as she spoke the thoughts of the ability to remove the objects that were cursed to her still lingered upon her mind. It had never occurred to her as a possibility before maybe given some time she might actually come around to the idea. Wingless... the idea was interesting. Would there be lasting effects other than the obvious? How many unicorns like her had gone to such extreme measures? Was there even anyone who had gone through with it before or would she be the guinea pig for some mad science experiment? There would obviously be pain involved but that was not even a thought that would sway her one way or another. Pain was nothing but a fact of life, everyone would experience it at one time or another. It was those who could withstand the crippling effects that would come out stronger in the end while others would surrender to the darkness.

When it came to limitations of such objects she was well aware of what she was capable of doing. Slipping through small spaces would have to be one of them but there was always ways around it. If it was a forest that stood in her way then it was just a matter of spreading her wings and soaring over it. It solved the problem in most cases but there was obviously certain occasions that this would not work. It was all a matter of taking things in stride and accepting her bloodline as tainted. " My ancestors may be fools but I am not following in their footsteps nor anyone else's. I carve my own trail through this life and into the next and I don't really care who falls in the process." She states simply with a slight shrug.

The queen's face gives away nothing to reveal what thoughts could be going through her mind leaving her to speculate anything that might come next. She came into this not expecting to get anywhere so she was at no loss should she be turned away empty handed. Always believe the worst will happen so that you are never the one who is disappointed. "Pain and sorrow are just a fact of life if you can't deal with it you should just let someone end your misery. I do not seek love anywhere, those who want to try and hurt me can go ahead and try. That being said I don't back down easily so they better be smarter to get a chance."

She was not scared of the possibility of others trying to hurt her or maim her. As she had said previously she knew what she was capable of and shedding blood was one of them. No one would kick her down without a fight that much she was certain of.

•• TAGS: @[Illynx] •• NOTES: Apologies for the wait night shifts are a pain XD••
Picture Credits

The ease with which the woman dismisses the power of her bloodline over the logic of her mind draws a smile to the lips of the cold hearted Lady, the cruelty of the grin hidden behind her usual mask of effervescent good humor. It was good that the hybrid thought she could so easily rise above the hindrances her parents had shackled upon her, but that she had so quickly refused the golden wench’s offer to remove the appendages that marked her as blighted refuted her words even before she had spoken them. Were she so set on forging another path, separate from the flaws evident in the marks upon her spine, she would have been eager to more seamlessly blend in among those she sought to be like; she would be quick to remove the very things that made her wrong in the first place, and quick to end or modify any children born broken as she.

But, Illynx is used to such things when presented with the mutants of her kin, those adorned with horns and marked with the blasphemed idiocy of men who bred with birds. Pity is an ugly thing in her breast as she formulates a sardonic reply, her voice crisp and benign in the autumnal air. "And you are less foolish for clinging to the marks of your failures?" a genial laugh slips playfully from her, crown tilting to the right in quirky humor that seeks to prod the unfortunate beast where it surely hurts, "do not cling so fast to your anchor, darling – they sink quite fast." A last cruel twist mars the perfection of her mask, an ironic revelation of hideousness that she hides within herself as this one will should she decide to be smarter than the average pigeon and take Illynx’s advice.

As the rest of the conversation is replied to, however, respect is regained; it is a suitable response for one such as herself found among the proud unicorns of the north who would surely loathe her. It is hard for the Lady not to transfix such thoughts to the fore of her words, a difficult dance which requires battening away years of training her heart to hate that which was different than herself or her kin. She had found room for Aithniel in the softness of her mind and thoughts, that she had been young and malleable as wet clay – this one was grown, and if her previous words were any tell, no where near as easy to manipulate into the proper way of thought.

That she already thought herself wrong was a start, the Lady supposes. A pondering frown crosses her gleaming mask, mutilated ear flicking back into her thoughts as if she might hear them more clearly.

There was only one reason the woman was here, and there were two options to that inquiry.

"There is a man within the snow that could help you see the truth more clearly, the same that would free you of your wrongness, and solidify my decision on whether or not you should be allowed within my home," she says, slowly, her mind recollecting the face of the strange little beast that was most fondly known as her Haruspex, "Kyst, darling."

The griffon lifts her wings from her spine, arching herself in a graceful stretch and mewling her feline response with a clack of her dangerous beak. "Do go fetch our Haruspex for me?"

Nodding her head deftly and spreading her wing span, she alights from the spine of the Lady and flits off into the herd land, hopefully soon to return with the wizened little priest.

She watches her griffon go with sweetly glistening golden eyes, returning them to the hybrid after a moment with a smile still lingering on her lips. "I’m afraid I never received your name. I am the Lady Illynx, one of two leads of the mountain."

@[Zikar-Sin], @[Rhea]
[ OOC: Zikar is comingggg ~ lol. I say post order is free until Smithers can get him here; it may take the cute little crazy some time to get to the gate, after all. ;D ]

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

Large, luminous eyes looked up from the pebble-strewn floor of the cavern, away from the perfect, half-decayed specimen of an equine wretch that lay so docile at the feet of its captor. A flutter of activity had caught the Haruspex’s eye; he watched as something fluttered against the bright light of the cave-mouth, watching as a tiny dark spec of a creature approached on flapping wings; it soon resolved into a tiny thing of a beast cloaked in a shining, well-groomed pelt and golden feathers—and, very suddenly, Sin made sense of what he was looking at. Oh! he thought graciously, stepping away from his dear corpse and emerging from the mouth of his cave—for indeed, here to meet him was none other than the Lady Illynx’s familiar, the griffon creature whose name he sadly could not place.

“Oh, hello, little darling!” The Haruspex called out delicately, as the petite little thing landed in front of him, at his hooves. It flapped its wings with urgency, kneading the hoarfrost with eager talons; Sin stared down at his mistress’s companion, a dull ache forming behind his eyes as the longing to investigate this strange, beautiful animal suffused his mind. Though, of course, he didn’t believe his lady would be very amendable to the idea; his brand of “investigation” usually included all sorts of incisions and experiments—not to mention a full dissection, to be most thorough in his researches—and of course, his dear Lady would most probably prefer her cherished companion to remain alive for quite some time. So, instead, he sighed wistfully and continued to stare down at the griffon—interpreting its agitated behavior, quite sure of what it was trying to communicate. “Does my Lady request my presence?” He asked genially, and when the golden creature gave a mighty flap and launched itself into the sky once more, Sin followed the winding griffon’s trail towards the front entrance of their Basin home.

It wasn’t long before Sin came upon a most curious scene indeed; there was his Lady, just as he expected, resplendent (as usual) in all her finery and poise; and there also was a most curious stranger, most curious indeed, sporting a most interesting hide and a pair of the sleekest, largest, most beautiful wings he had ever had the pleasure to gaze upon this far north. His wide, unblinking eyes settled upon them for what seemed to be a most inappropriate amount of time—but, ah, how could he help it? Such a joy they would be to have, with their glossy feathers and their perfect shape!

“Oh, good-day my Lady!” he called to Illynx as he approached, “I do believe you summoned me here for some business…?” His gaze traveled delicately toward the stranger cloaked in her audacious feathers; it was very obvious that this was an intruder of some kind, yet his Lady knew that the Haruspex was no fighter in any sense of the word. Therefore, this seemed to be a meeting of civil or diplomatic import, perhaps. As such, Sin inclined his head graciously towards their—guest?-- and trained his manic, gracious gaze upon her face instead, giving the strange, unfortunate hybrid a cordial smile. ”My name is Zikar-Sin, m’lady, Haruspex of the Aurora Basin!”

[ Sorry for the delay! @[Illynx] @[Rhea] ]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

nickel

As the conversation continued the young hybrid continued to hold onto her stubbornness that made her into the witch she was. The thought of becoming wingless and free was interesting but somehow not all as appealing as she had originally thought it would be. Yes she was ashamed of her parents idiocy leading to her creation and would everyday hate them for it but she had grown used to being the outcast. Her wings were a part of her that she had grown accustomed to yet at the same time irritated her. With them being perched upon her withers she could not consider herself to be a true unicorn or a true pegasus (thankfully). She was somehow stuck in the middle of the two groupings and there was nothing that would change that.

The golden mare before her spoke of another that would be summoned to join in their little conversation but for what purpose? Surely if she could not persuade her to lance her appendages from her body another being could not accomplish the task. Amused at the thought of them trying she would have some fun making them try. What in the world was a Haruspex anyway? It sounded more like a name of some island than a rank within a herd but then again this place was not exactly normal. Then again what was normal? Thinking over the golden's words about sinking along with her anchor she could not fathom herself sinking down that low. Her pride was enough to keep her afloat and that was something she would not stand to lose. The dark twisted caverns of her mind were more than enough to keep herself occupied and well away from sinking into the depths of despair. Others may be vulnerable to the sad truth of the world but time had hardened her to it.

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes as the queen stated the obvious fact that she had not given her title aloud. Not like this wasn't done intentionally or anything. If she was to have the chance to reside here she guessed that a little cooperation would be needed on her part. "My name would be Rhea." She stated simply choosing to keep things to the point instead of rambling on about pointless facts.

Movement to the rear of the queen pulled her two tone eyes to the creature approaching them. Assuming that this was the so called Haruspex that had been summoned she chose to remain where she was. Calling the thing odd was definitely a nice way of describing the strangeness of the unicorn. Possessing the tail of a lion was one thing but the tendrils of hair stretching the entire length of the spine? What it the hell was the purpose of that? Was this some experiment gone horribly wrong? Keeping her face neutral she laughed internally at the many strange features of the one she soon came to know as Zikar-Sin. Nodding her head politely in greeting she awaited the words of the Basin Queen before speaking once again.

•• TAGS: @[Illynx], @[Zikar-Sin] •• NOTES: Sorry for the delay work has been nuts ••
Picture Credits

The quirky seer appears moments after Kyst is spied aloft in the horizon, his face bewildered and curious as she had hoped it would be once he spies the strange stranger on their doorstep. A smile graces her face and a cordial bow is given to the honorable summoner, a certain fondness for the odd little man having etched its way into her heart with an expedient quickness after he had spared her from the assault of a flying monster to suffer the consequences of the wraith’s bite instead of her.

Gratefulness was something that did alter her usual cold and mildly sociopathic way of viewing and treating others; it was why she had gone to Midas to ask for friendship, it was why she cared for her Ulrik, and it was why she admired the crazy man with the monocle.

That one of her list had already scorned away that fondness of his name was a problem that was more his own than it was hers; she would not forget that the painted Czar had saved her from a life lost in shadow and mindlessness, but she would also not forgive the slights that had been delivered to her people under the man’s rule.

His chipper arrival only blooms her smile broader, the usual politeness blended with the odd penchant for death and dismemberment amusing – but the hybrid, for the time being, knew no better. The Lady glances over at her to see her reaction to one of the most honorable members of their herd, only to find questions and perhaps a slight tinge of egotism writ across the mask of the mutant.

Illynx’s smile diminishes slightly, though she does listen with interest as the winged beast offers her name in exchange for Zikar’s.

Kyst, who was flying above watching with interest, lands gracefully on the plated spine of the Lady as her voice once again sounds out into the snow. "I did indeed," she remarks with a smile, turning her golden eyes to view fully the stallion that had followed her beloved companion to her, "miss Rhea here expresses interest in joining our numbers. As you can see, however, she is not truly fit to be among our brethren, as the poor dear is deformed as my sweet Aithniel."

A sorrowful expression sways the beauty of her smile in a tragic way, the true pain she feels for the oddly coated soul alongside the two Basin dwellers reaching into the etchings of her mask. She cannot imagine having been born with such a curse; she surely would already have dropped herself from the clouds.

"She expresses regret for the actions of her parents, but dislikes the notion of having them removed," she explains, gesturing towards the appendages of mention with her horn, "I fear I’m quite perplexed, you see… the laws of our mountain have long decreed that she is not allowed among us, but she is of a unique mind in comparison to the others I’ve encountered." A brow rises, a pondering expression sweeping across her face as she compares both Aithniel and Rhea – finding them rather similar in their pride for that which marked them as lesser but also equally open to the notion of being so.

"What say you, Zikar?" she asks in a final inquiry, "do you believe she may be spared? Do you believe her mind is still whole enough to be saved?"

@[Zikar-Sin]

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

The Haruspex’s smile never faltered and his lids never lowered over his eyes in a proper blink as he surveyed the ladies before him; the majority of his attentions were fixated on the new arrival--ah, Rhea was her name?—and her grotesquely gorgeous set of extra appendages that she so proudly sported. As Illynx explained the plight of the apparent kindred soul, the corners of Sin’s mouth may have dropped by millimeters; he inclined his head slightly to their dark-scaled guest. “You have my sympathies,” he said in a low voice layered with respect and the simmering adoration for those wings that bubbled behind his eyes.

*"She expresses regret for the actions of her parents, but dislikes the notion of having them removed…I fear I’m quite perplexed, you see… the laws of our mountain have long decreed that she is not allowed among us, but she is of a unique mind in comparison to the others I’ve encountered…”

Sin nodded in agreement. “Indeed so, M’lady,” he said delicately, turning his great, orb-like irises to rest upon his Mistress (and, of course, her adorable little griffon creature), “Miss Rhea here—that is to say, you, dear miss,” he added swiftly, quickly bringing his attention back onto Rhea, “have seemed to have escaped the ravages of the Pegasus’ mental affliction; why, you’re quite pleasant company for a winged fellow!” Aithniel had been pleasant too, though perhaps that was only by cause of her cherubic qualities; Sin still couldn’t quite follow how the child really felt about the poor Philosopher.

He pondered for a matter of moments as Illynx raised her inquiry: Could a winged creature be redeemable? His eyes continued to rove over Rhea’s body, for it seemed as though this was quite the appropriate moment for such manners. Finally, the Haruspex released a gentle sigh, having reached a decision. “….Please understand, Miss Rhea, that what I’m about to say is for your benefit as much as ours,” he spoke in a mild, academic tone, blinking exactly once, his tail weaving behind him a few times as he came up with the most appropriate phrasing for his verdict. “You seem lucid and most sound of mind now, my dear, and indeed, I can foresee your future value as a member of our grand brotherhood. Yes…

“Only….I worry for the stability of your bearing in future times—will you remain so lucid your entire life? Will you keep to our doctrines and covenants—or will you discard them, changing your mind and abandoning your comrades? For Pegasi are as flighty as the birds whose wings they bear; one day you may think one way, the next, it may run rampant. I do not mean to judge you so hastily,”
he shook his head, monocle rattling ever so gently against the bones of his face, “I’m only trying to look out for the best interests of the security of our herd.” He turned to Illynx then, a queer gleam sparking into his eye. “I propose, M’Lady, that, should you decide to allow Miss Rhea into our ranks, she would be on a probationary period, to ensure her trust and stability?”

He turned back to Rhea; he donned his pleasant smile once more. “I also most urge you to reconsider the removal of your wings; it will save us all much strife and confusion in the future, for I do not ever want to see our former allies as enemies. If it’s the pain you’re worried about, don’t worry; I know of many methods of amputation that are virtually painless!” He didn’t mention that all of his previous patients were deceased—there was no need to go into details.

@[Rhea]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

nickel

Sharpness and a mind that was quick to pick up on things had always been strengths for the young mare and it was times like these that they came in handy. Keeping her mouth shut while the two basin folk spoke mostly to each other let her pick out things that could perhaps be useful later. Who was this Aithniel that they spoke so fondly of? Another plagued with the same condition as the one she was living with? The golden queen seemed to note particular fondness for the creature so it was possible that this Aithniel shared relation perhaps? If this was the case how much of a hypocrite would she be to turn her away then. Did the queen secretly share adoration for the winged type like her mother had?

Turning her head towards the odd stallion she took interest in his words knowing they very well mean her acceptance or denial to this icecap. His acknowledgement and respectful words earned him a grateful nod of acceptance which is more than she gave most others. Though his exterior still seemed odd to her it was not hard to tell that the mind behind the beast was sound enough in reasoning. Maybe a touch insane but here she was standing on the doorstep of a known unicorn only clubhouse, she would leave the judgement for another time. Maybe she just had a death wish or something but one thing she knew for certain was she did not fear death when it would come for her. Before she should pass on to whatever lay in the next world she should hope to force a couple individuals to take the plunge long before their time.

"Once I make up my mind there is no changing it. Believe what you will but my loyalties will never lie with the winged mutants or the ordinary trash." She commented wanting to set the record straight for the two standing before her. They would see what they wanted of her regardless but she wasn't going to fall to the mislabeling of her character while she had the breath to tell how it was.

Now to the other factor seeming to still hold the axe above her head. " I had agreed to remain open to the idea of having such deformities stipped from my frame perhaps in time. It is not something I will do hastily knowing how useful they can be for us both. Pain does not sway my decision one way or another." Casting her gaze between both parties she wondering what it would take to get that through their minds. Would they be so quick to relieve themselves if they were in her hooves? Doubtfully. " Place me on probation if that is what you wish it will not change my mind. The way I see it you would have nothing to lose should things not work out but if it does...well then you can say its a benefit for you and your herd."

•• TAGS: @[Illynx] •• NOTES: -- ••
Picture Credits

She eagerly awaits the response from her Haruspex, part of her hoping that he will find the being before her salvageable and others wishing that he will decree her better off dead. It’s the odd mix of emotions that had forced her to summon him out here, anyway; she already knew Deimos’ answer, a dark and resolute no, and she figures that her dear Ulrik and the wicked Doctor d’Artagnan would be of the same mind. Her other council members are too gentle of the heart to offer her a suitable reply – and this left only Zikar, odd and measured in his logic.

She trusted him to do right by their people in his decision, and she would do as he decided. He was, after all, their Seer, and he should rightly know things the rest did not for such reasons.

He takes note of the pleasant nature of the bird beast as she had – for one, the monster was politely outside their doorway, and she had not shouted insults or demanded entry as Illynx has seen the winged sorts do in the past. That the mare is obviously civil despite her mutations is part of the reason Illynx dallies on a decision that would normally come swiftly – the winged were not welcome.

But Rhea was not truly winged, was she?

He pinpoints something she had not previously thought, as well – that the mare may be sane now but could deteriorate to such a point that she is useless and better off as bones. A brow rises on the delicate constructs of the Lady’s face, wonder lighting the golden hue of her eyes as she ponders the truth of this statement and runs her gaze over the oddly marked pelt of the winged thing.

But, he looks to her, and with the most devious of gleams in the back of his pale eyes, he makes a suggestion that instantly blooms a smile across the face of the dubious golden Lady.

A probationary period! What delightful mad genius.

As the hybrid speaks up for herself, more logic clicks into place within the mind of the smug and arrogant ruler of the snow, her smile gleaming and her stance gaining grace as her thoughts grow more upbeat, more hopeful that the true era of the unicorn’s greatness is to begin today. Sure, it is but one winged thing seeking retribution – but how many more will follow her? How many more can be saved, twisted to the havoc of the Plague’s blasphemed desires, how many might become beautiful in all the ways they were born broken?

Its thrilling, such a thought, nearly intoxicating, and she hums a soft sound of approval in her throat as she turns thankful eyes to the man who answered her summons. "Bless you for your wisdom, Zikar," she says sweetly before returning her eyes to the winged one, a devious light fringing the curvature of her lips, "and welcome, for now. You may stay until the rise of Orangemoon in a year’s time, providing you conform to our laws and do not deteriorate mentally."

@[Zikar-Sin]