the Rift

Hear the drums of war approach

Giselle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ultimate horror often paralyses
memory in a merciful way
- H.P. Lovecraft

Things hadn't exactly gone the way I planned. Not that I had planned much at all to be honest. At the time when I left Isilme for the shades my thoughts had been in shambles, and all my focus had been directed at getting away, saving my own skin and to make sure that nothing followed in my trail. And that had been well and good, but once cleared of the malicious evil there had suddenly been a need for serious thought. I always hated when that happened. There were just so many options, so many paths to travel and the process of making decisions gave me headaches. In my attempts at postponing the need for elimination I simply wandered in the direction my nose was pointing, in a sort of opportunistic manner. Maybe if I waited a solution would come to me. It would have been so much easier...

But things rarely happen that way, and instead of arriving at some utopia of supreme unicorn rule with only interesting things to see and do, I had found myself walking through nothing but wilderness. The rare encounter I made was with small savage tribes that I had nothing in common with, even in the rare occasion when they chose to address me. It was an irritating trail of events, altogether boring and it didn't take long before I decided to turn around, walk another direction. At one point I picked up the scent of a trail that felt vaguely familiar, and lacking anything else to do, I began to follow it. The further I went however, the more I realized that the scent wasn't actually of anyone I knew. By the time I had acknowledged that fact though, it was so strong that I almost could count the days since the passage of the creator. There was no point in turning back. Besides, my curiosity had been teased for days on end by then. I supposed it couldn't hurt to examine further, especially since the trail was beginning to gather up with several others, until scents were mingling in a manner most confusing. I was amused, entertained even.

Now I found myself cantering through the depths of a forest, where the sound of my hooves echoed like drums of war upon the dry earth. It was early for the leaves to be changing colors already, and the heat spoke clearer than words of the intensity of the season that had passed. The pace I held was steady but ground covering, air blasted through the quivering sails of the nostrils for each step. Methodically my body moved, the strength of the muscles as perfectly toned as always; I was in good shape. My skin retained the same thundercloud gray as always, the coat was shiny and well maintained and the tassels of crimson hair that flowed from neck and croup gleamed as they always did. If anything I was beginning to feel a bit unkempt, the mane was coming out somewhat too long. It would have to be remedied one of these days; it wouldn't do to have it getting in the way of the eyes. A warrior mustn't be vain, but should uphold a proper facade. Dirt would get in open wounds and infect them, hair would obscure the vision. Keep the horn sharp and the hooves ready to strike down upon those inferior, winged rats and hornless tainted, until they are no more. Then we could rest, only then.

Eyes pallid and distant took in the surroundings as I kept going, scrutinizing the path that slithered among the trees like a snake would slither between rocks. The sun was obscured by gathering clouds but the heat of the afternoon remained the same. There were no shadows beneath the trees, no rays of light to glow upon my passing, but it could matter the same. As much as I was interested in the source of the trail I had been following, the first signs of thirst was creeping upon me like an itch, similar to the urges I feel when looking at something small and defenseless. It tore at my mind, and for a moment I allowed the glitter of what may be a stream distract me for a moment. How foolish. A moment is always all it takes for something unplanned to happen.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
sorry that it took so long for someone to get back to you here

With the Tallsun heat nothing but an unpleasant memory, going to the Threshold was less cumbersome than it had been during the hot summer. Once, simply existing had caused him to sweat vigorously and sapped his mind of its will and energy, but each morning the air was crisp and he'd even found frost a few times. The fog of his homeland thickened, the days grew shorter and thus the nights longer, and the trees were mostly yellow by now. The scent of winter was on the air, the first snowfall just around the bend, and it brought a certain joy to the alabaster monarch. He very much preferred winter over summer, and where he had once dragged himself out into this sparse forest, he now went willingly. Cool winds pushed against his skin, bringing scents of so many individuals he'd never know. To browse through them, to weave among the trees and look out for horns, were genuine pleasures to him.

And during such a venture, doing exactly that, he found something. Or rather, did something find him? He'd been contemplating in which direction to go when the sound of heavy hoof beats, a canter more precisely, distracted him. Slowly they grew louder and louder and his charcoal-rimmed ears pinpointed their direction, blue eyes staring expectantly at the mass of trees. Who would it be? Or, more importantly, what? If it was just a hornless he'd smile politely, point them at the Foothills, and then go on his way. If it was a horned... well, no point in jumping the gun. And so he did something he was very good at: waiting. Pale tail flicked against spotted flanks, something he often did, but he remained alert, firmly planted on all four hooves.

From the distance the speck of gray grew, smelling of foreign lands and healthy sweat. She was not running in fear he concluded, and headed mostly in his direction. Not entirely. Closer she came, remaining the dark gray of angry skies, but there was definitely a horn upon her brow.

Well, what now, then? Would she stop, inquire about where she was, run past, or run him over? He had no real desire to go for a run while trying to recruit, so with a look of mild bemusement and curiosity he remained where he was, wondering what she'd do.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Ria Posts: N/A
Unregistered
(hope you don't mind me jumping in! :) Just want this character to get to know somehorse. Or someunicorn.)

Look below, look for prey. Find the mouse, feel the beat. Rip the throat, swallow the body. I tipped to the side, feeling the wind comb my sleek dark brown feathers. I could fly for hours like this, effortlessly, easily. Wedge-tailed Eagles were, after all, aerial birds. The sun soaked in my body, seeming to bleed over my wings, illuminating them in fiery golds. I clicked my hooked beak, narrowing my sharp eyes. Just like the sense of how high I was, me and my species being the apex predator was honed into me, and I was confident and proud to be alone in my domain. Unlike those pesky pegasus. Pegasi? It was unnatural for a four-legged being to be flopping those wings around ungracefully. Me, my name being Ria, didn't particularly dislike or like equines. But by the Gods, how they had sprung up out of nowhere! It irritated me. Or, rather, it irked me. As much as I would like to rip into a young foal, for I often wondered how the flesh would taste, or the blood on my beak, I knew it was better to keep my talons clean and continue on. I was planning to make myself useful- do some dirty work for a few, carry a couple of messages around. Voila! Bad rep of breaking that pegasus' wing was gone. Who knows? Maybe I would continue the job.

Whatever way the wind blows, I mused, thinking of an ancient saying of my proud eagle family. I let my gleaming yellow eyes run over the thick woodlands below. The slightest of movements caught my eyes, even from my high soaring elevation. If it was possible, I felt my beak water at the sight of a snake slithering through the grass. I was a happy hunter, and one that wasn't picky. Heck, with a couple of friends from where I lived I ate some kangaroos! Now those were the days. Shrugging my shoulders and angling downwards, I swooped lower to the ground. Kangaroo meat really had been a finery; sweet, fresh, the thrill of hunting an animal that could fight back. I twitched my wings back, allowing my legs to curl forward, my talons hooking over the warm body. The landing was off, naturally I staggered. This time, I swear my beak watered. Flipping it up with one claw, I grabbed the little thing by the scaly tail, swallowing it whole. Don't worry, it was long dead. A shiver ran down my body, and I leaped awkwardly into the air, circling loftily about the forest. Definitely needed some practice on ground takeoffs.

It was a couple of hours later when I finally noticed something interesting- a couple of unicorns. And one cantering solidly towards them. Kehaar, my father, would have scowled as he saw me plunge toward them, nine-foot-four wingspread tucked in close to my body. When I reached right before the cantering horse, I would snap out my wings, and just wait and damn laugh to see their reactions.

Yeah, you could say that I was still obviously an idiot.

Giselle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Ultimate horror often paralyses
memory in a merciful way
- H.P. Lovecraft

There I was, casually rocking along at my own pace and disturbing none but the ground that - naturally- always seemed to be at the mercy of my pounding hooves, and the next thing I know something swoops down in front of me. It was instinct more than any real desire to stop that made me react. The gray ears slicked back over my neck as I dug the haunches in beneath my body, almost sitting down as I skidded through the fallen leaves on the ground and came to a sharp halt. But instead of casually cursing the feathered menace that dared to cross my path or timidly shying away from the taloned pile of feathers, I reared up and snapped towards the tail feathers of the eagle with blunt teeth. Maybe the blood of the pest would be enough to quench my thirst. If nothing else, at least the death of the winged predator would give me another feather to braid in along the larger ones that dangled in my main and tail; much larger that his, granted, tokens from my fallen victims of war as they were.

Just in case the eagle would escape my punishment I danced around on powerful hind legs, jabbing the white spear on my head towards him to skewer, or at least knock him down from the air. It wasn't until my feet touched upon the ground again that I noticed that I wasn't alone. In fact, I could almost feel the body heat radiate from the large alabaster stallion, so close was I to him. Had I gone blind without realizing? It seemed that my moment of distraction could cost me more than annoyance if I wasn't careful. I danced to the side, immediately prepared for battle with the neck arched and horn lowered as I took him in. Pale skin, splotched in black - it reminded me of the feathers of a crow scattered over glimmering snow, torn from the body much like I had torn the flesh from the hollow bones... But rather than being marked with a bloody red like I was, this one appeared dyed in another shade altogether. Ice. Indeed, he reminded me of an icicle hanging from the branches of a tree. The blues that accented his frosty appearance were clear as the winter sky, and I found myself itching to scratch my horn against his to see if it would shave off like ice. The thought made me laugh.

It appears you have caught me off guard, stranger I said and backed off a little, returning space both to him and myself. It wasn't true of course, since I was always on my guard. The horn on his head and the noble coloration of his body was not enough to make me relax, but the immediate need for slaughter had at least lessened somewhat. What gives me the pleasure of having my path blocked?

Perhaps I should be grateful for the stupid bunch of feathers that had stopped me in my tracks. If not for the eagle, I might have charged blindly into the bulk of this stranger, and no one knew how much trouble I would have been in then. Even at a brief glance he looked strong and capable - and I didn't enjoy spilling the blood of unicorns. It wouldn't be fun at all to have to fight him.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Sorry for the wait...again.

He had no need to devise a way to stop her (a concern which had been growing larger with every step she took closer to him, no intention to stop visible in the play of her muscles), because something else decided to be convenient and stop her for him. Large, brown, feathered, the eagle swept down, flared out as if for a landing, and then angled upwards again, carried by momentum. One 'brow arched in amusement, the expression slowly spreading across his face as he watched the unicorn brake. Wet, mouldering leaves were chucked out of her path, though he was far enough away not to get hit by the barrage of it. It seemed that she was serious enough about running. Mauja laughed faintly under his breath as she danced after the bird, snapping and thrusting her horn at it. Really. He probably would've been annoyed, but amused at the same time. It was so much easier to go through life and all its hellish hardships with a smile and a laugh instead of scowling at everything.

Once he became some sort of priority in her mind she seemed to calm down, and he was thankful for it. As she'd constantly danced closer, he'd prepared to move, shifting his weight slightly in case she'd accidentally impale him or something. Talk about eclipsed attention. Briefly his eyes returned to the sky, looking for the bird. Either it had a brilliant sense of humor, a unicorn-induced aggression, or it was just plainly stupid and mistook the mare for meat. And that was worrisome, not because it was a huge flippin' bird, because if it had, something was obviously wrong with its head.

"Indeed," he said with a veiled little smile, his features soft as snow as he watched her. There was something mildly familiar about her build... Whatever it was, it wasn't a strong enough notion to make him think of anything in particular. He could ponder that some lonely night, but not right now. "A King, intending to invite you into his herd. And what gives me the pleasure of having a mare run straight at me?" At the borderline flirtatious comment (after all, was it not flattering to have a lady head straight for you? never mind that it was coincidence that had put him there) he gave her a teasing little smile, wondering who she was, how she would react, even though his marble heart was dead and cold in his chest.

It was just words. Just air. As easy to speak as a lie to a stranger. It was unlikely that he'd be capable of genuinely flirting sometime soon. Maybe the next century, when the wounds in his mind were not so fresh.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here