the Rift

the woods are lovely, dark and deep

Chisel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

CHISEL

The speckled stallion moved with the kind of grace and stealth one would not expect from a beast so large and heavy. It seemed that when his hooves should stomp and thrash upon the moist earth beneath, they merely plodded quietly along instead. His movements were those of one who had learned to find a kind of comfort within one's body long, long ago and had painstakingly honed every sense to keenness. His form was all but silent, a shadow ambling through the forest nearly undetectable were it not for his scent wafting betwixt the sharpness of pine and damp remnants of a fresh fallen rain. The scenery was lush and dense, surrounding him with camouflage and providing a sense of protection. Chisel was all about feeling secure. He traveled cautiously with the weary aura of one who has been forced to run on my occasions, though he held his lean head high and did not look the cowardly type. On the contrary, this was a stallion who would fight when cornered and run to avoid confrontation if possible. He did not relish the taste of blood between his teeth, nor the clacking of clashing hooves in dissension.

The scars on his coat glimmered in the sunlight overhead as he passed beneath it momentarily, scars that spoke of experience and both loss and victory. His freedom had come at no gentle cost and he still silently bore the chains to prove it. They chinked like whispers upon the wind as he slowly wandered, held knotted into his hair where most would prefer ribbons or necklaces. He had never had much of a choice with anything to do with his appearances though, and so the oddness of the style was lost to him. He knew what he was and he did not care if others figured it out as well - let them speculate and conspire. He would be long gone before they came to any solid conclusions regarding his particular origin anyhow. He usually did not stay long in one area or another. He had found places before of which he thought he might call home, only to discover unforeseen forces lurked around the corner ever after to send him on his way once again.

It was with trepidation and weariness that Chisel realized he had landed himself within a new realm, a place that made his skin tingle unpleasantly. He had the faintest notion that there might be silent observers of his nubile trek into this seemingly disenchanting forest now that he was further in; it was as if an audience stood back with baited breath to see where he would turn, what path he would choose next. He didn't appreciate the feeling in the slightest. He began to cast his eyes about warily, vainly wishing once again he might see more than shades of grey and hues of pale white so that he could more easily tell what secrets the forest was concealing. At the same time he was not so sure he really wanted to know. More often than not those who poked their noses into places that did not concern them, they wound up with bruised lips or worse. He was not so sure he was ready to stumble upon anything that required more careful analyzing than a passing glance would afford him.

He slowed, pulling his head up as he caught unfamiliar scents in his nostrils. Something was most definitely off here, like the sensation of walking into an ambush while yet perceiving its whereabouts while doing so. His foreleg was still extended mid-step and he suddenly felt so out of place he dared not make another sound by retracting it. It's not that he was truly afraid of whatever might be lurking nearby; he was of a stature and bulk that not much could truly threaten his well-being. It was more the uncertainty of the unknown, the fear the came along with venturing into variables he could not control. After a life bound to another's whim, once he had gained his freedom he sought never to lose hold of it again. Anything that could possibly loosen his grip caused him to shy away or bare his teeth. He was not quite ready to fight, he was not so base a creature as that. But whomever was out there might as well reveal themselves soon as he had realized their presence.

Credit

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

The towering beast of a horse didn't seem to take his welcoming committee very well. Lace found himself torn between amusement and regret as he watched the foreign stallion from his hiding place in a nearby thicket, fighting a certain mischievous desire to jump out and shout "BOO!" and see how high he might jump. It wasn't really the way to go if you wished to recruit someone, however. Not that this was why he had dragged himself all across Helovia from the southern desert; he wasn't even properly a part of the herd. Yet if he could, if this unknown entity so desired, he wouldn't mind guiding him down through the autumn-clad regions to strengthen the numbers of the so sadly weakened herd. He felt it as a sort of obligation, seeing as he himself was taking up space without pledging allegiance...

Deciding against practical jokes - though not without a certain amount of regret - the slender grullo cleared his voice to give some small measure of warning to the tense equine before he began to disentangle himself from branches, trunks, leaves and twigs and emerge out into plain view. "Easy, stranger" he tried to soothe, the low voice soft and deep and possessing a kind of lazy smile that gleamed within amber eyes yet didn't quite make it across the face, "stressing too much is bad for your health." Keeping a respectful distance from eventual displays of temper, the much smaller and leaner stallion tilted the gently dished profile and studied the other openly, taking in the massive hooves, the sturdy legs and eyed his towering height with no small amount of jealousy. Noticing the chains that hung from sooty tassels Lace raised a silent brow but didn't question them - many different kinds of horses passed through this gateway, and most carried luggage with them.

"You're a big one, aren't you... Welcome to Helovia, land of sunshine, rainbows and rose-strewn paths. May I take your coat?" A smile twitched by a corner of his mouth, more ironic than this newcomer were likely to realize.

He felt in such a strange mood this day, halfway between laughter and doomsday - he did hope this person knew how to take a joke, or Lace would have to start running.

@[Chisel]
CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

"Oh Lace," Rei ambled towards the stallion she had met previously and the other whom she looked forward to meeting. "Didn't you learn your lesson after the last coat that you stole?" She winked playfully at the massive stallion and smiled at Lace. She hadn't seen him since the night they met and she was genuinely delighted to come across him once again. Excited to see a new face she turned back to the newcomer. How exciting the Threshold was!

"Take a moment to imprint this moment in your memories. The sights the sounds, all of it! With a flair for the dramatic she paused before continuing. "Here is where your life will and already has changed. As Lace so aptly described it this is Helovia. I am Rei of Dragon's Throat. Are you just coming through? Or are you in search of a home?" She glanced in Lace's direction once again, her expression spoke for her saying, Look. Chirpy as ever but not overly chatty! I can learn.

"I do not wish to offend or to pry, but I am just curious. Are the chains a fashion statement or were you.." Rei let her words trail off. A lump had formed in her throat choking the rest of the words out. As a pegasus there was nothing closer to her heart than the invigorating taste of freedom. The thought of someone having that taken from them only to be replaced by bland flavors was heart wrenching. Already she wished that she knew this stallion better so that she could reach out to him further. But how much can you reach out to a stranger without crossing the thin line of being concerned versus being invasive?

"You don't have to answer that or anything! Sometimes words just come out. But I am making an effort to be more socially adept." Rei laughed but the lightness of the sound didn't quite reach her eyes. Irritated she swished her tail, she really did make a fool out of herself sometimes. Although she truly had the best of intentions.
x - x
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Unregistered

CHISEL

It seemed he was right to be wary in his voyage forth into the unknown. Chisel resisted the urge to take a step backwards when he caught the sound of a voice drifting across the clearing. His ears pricked forward the noise, intently watching as a slender figure broke free of the mosaic of black and white just ahead. The stranger's words of comfort went in and out of his conscious, not meaning half as much to Chisel as the stranger might intend for them to. Chisel had learned long ago that to measure the merit of another one must listen more carefully to their eyes than whatever words might slip free from the throat. Words could lead him astray, take him on a journey where the truth was only what one believed it to be; the eyes could never hide a lie.

This one's eyes looked sincere enough, if not somewhat humorous. Chisel could not help but to immediately size him up as was his usual initial reaction to meeting someone new. Unsurprisingly, he towered over the other equus, but he was not entirely blind - he could see the ease with which the slender stallion danced lightly upon his hooves. He was an agile one and could most likely outrun Chisel if ever he needed to. He was some brilliant shade of silver with dark grey points that Chisel almost swore were his true colors rather than just what his own eyes were capable of perceiving. It was a pleasant enough coloring, mellifluous and soft in a world usually cold and harsh. Chisel listened with the kind of idle curiosity a coiled snake might show a passing feline, an interest that noted neither one held any imminent threat over the other.

The other one seemed to find a trickle of pleasure in smiling at his own jokes, whether or not they warranted appreciation or not. Chisel found his head tilting, allowing the jest to wash over him and let it go. He could be clever in his own right, but at this particular moment in time what the grullo had followed his joke up with was more intriguing. He was gathering his thoughts to make a reply when yet another made themselves known and waltzed up to the two of them, rather unceremoniously if Chisel was any judge of making appearances. She, for it apparent that this winged newcomer was female by the way she refused to stop talking, seemed to know the silver stallion already. The air of friendly banter between the two made him feel much the interloper, also as if they truly had just been waiting to pounce upon him. She called the stallion Lace, he noted, and referred to herself as Rei. He did know what she meant by the Dragon's Throat, nor was he eager to inquire about it.

He listened quietly as the mare made her introduction and such as well, and when she was done he paused an extra few moments in case she decided to tack something else on as well. "To think my appearance warranted an entourage to acknowledge it." He noted rather dryly. He was not used to other creatures taking such an interest in him. He looked between them both, ultimately returning his gaze to the mare as she had last spoken to him. "Helovia, you said? That is what this place deems itself be known as? It looks as any other forest...and names come and go." His eyes flicked over to the stallion, Lace, and blinked with a cool demeanor. "Sunshine and rainbows are most often preceded by ominous storms and the clash of thunder, regardless of how happily you paint this world to be."

He finally allowed his muscles to relax at the risk of being welcomed by yet another stranger, but he felt that this pair had no intentions of attacking him at this point. They seemed merely overly curious, he reminded himself, as his large neck swiveled back to Rei, the spotted, winged, talkative one. He had come across wings before, pegasi they called themselves. He truly had no feelings one way or the other of them. "You're very inquisitive, aren't you? No, the chains are not a fashion statement. And to be perfectly honest I was not looking for anything, I merely follow where the wind takes me though it can be a fickle mistress." He had gotten the impression he could not exactly leave this place now that he was here. Usually that kind of restriction would bother him, but he had the chance thought that it would be much better to be stuck here than back in the old world where he was still nothing more than a fugitive, and runaway whose future was bleak and most probably ended with him once again enchained. He was not sure what this place or these two were getting at ultimately, but he supposed the more he knew then the more he knew.

@[Lace] @[Rei]
Credit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

As usual, he had no idea where exactly Rei had come from; she just appeared, magicked into existence right then and there and looking like it was no big deal at all. He was getting used to it, but she still had a way of wearing on his nerves and patience that was quite remarkable indeed - especially considering his normally so mellow temperament. This time around he was marginally less annoyed by her emergence from whatever wormhole she had been lurking in, even going so far as to offer her a smile when she played along with his -in hindsight rather lame - joke.

When she continued to rant on, and on, and on, however, the gray stallion found himself shifting back and forth with an intense desire to hush at her. Her sideways glance that seemed to expect praise and a thumbsup was met instead with a raised eyebrow and a mild shake of the head; nope, still prattling, always prattling. Breathe woman, damnit!, and when she even went as far as inquire about the damned chains Lace all but groaned where he stood.

"That is prying, Rei" he leaned over and murmured through gritted teeth, ears ticking backwards ever so slightly. "If you think it might be insensitive then don't ask, for the love of apples!" He glanced back at the large stallion to see how he would take it, worrying with some trepidation that he might take insult with the blabbering girl. To his immense relief he simply took to commenting their act with a straightness that was so direct that it made him feel somewhat silly for trying to livening things up. Suppressing an urge to roll his eyes at the down-to-earth way with which his jokes had been torn asunder and scattered to the wind, Lace took a breath and donned a smile he hoped would look less weary than he felt - no doubt it was Rei's fault that he felt like he had aged several years again, he wouldn't doubt her ability to give gray hairs to a newborn.

"A fellow traveler I see" he commented with genuine interest. "I hope you can forgive my friend here, she has a way of letting her tongue run away with her. To be perfectly honest, you just described Helovia quite well; we are currently experiencing that dazzling sunshine that comes after a thunderclap, so to speak, but who knows how long this peace will last. I can promise that things always get interesting around here; well worth sticking around for."

He paused and gave the other a measuring glance, trying to decide whether to leave him alone or extend offers of home and shelter. It was always a balancing act, and sometimes he had to consider whether someone would truly be welcome in a herd... But this equine, for all his suspicious nature and guarded demeanor didn't look like a bad person. Appearances could be deceiving, for sure, but Lace thought himself to be at least a decent judge of character. Thus, reaching at least some form of conclusion, he shifted slightly and tried the smile again, just for good measure.

"Well, it was nice meeting you" he said. "If you find yourself with a need for food or shelter, or just some company, I believe you're welcome in Dragon's Throat - just go as far south as you can come until you see desert, and you'll be there." He gave a glance to the leopard-spotted pegasus to make sure she would confirm this - since he technically didn't have a right to invite anyone at all - and then started to turn around with the intention to leave. "Come on Rei, we're bothering this person. Let's go find someone else for you to play with, shall we?" He shot a teasing smile in the direction of the young mare; secretly curious as to whether the nameless giant would take his bait.

@[Rei]

The Store | The Warden

Rei flattened her ears at Lace's words. Why did he always insist on ruining her mood? It hurt her feelings just as much as it ticked her off. She had thought that they had settled their differences, His name must be related to that web marking of his and his personality must stem from that tree marking. His mixed signals are driving me up a tree.

"Do you want them off? I could help." What made her the most angry was that he was right. It had been a tad too much to ask. Possibly more than a tad. But the other stallion hadn't seemed to take offense. Lace had told this other stallion not to stress so why did he?

"This forest is the Threshold. Everyone's journey begins here. Many have entered this wood. So although it is an ordinary forest the trees here could tell tales that you and I could only begin to imagine."

The leopard pegasus looked at the trees standing around them. The silent sentries of the Threshold. Their vast branches spread high overhead creating an emerald canopy touched by gold hues. The evening light that filtered through was given an amber tone. The first leaves to fall swirled around the pegasus and equines.

"The wind is certainly uncertain in her actions. But never aimless. If it was her that guided you here to Helovia then I am sure that you will find belonging here. As Lace has said, you are more than Welcome to Dragon's Throat. Even if you just decide that you want to visit. May I ask your name?"

Rei opened her mouth to inform the moody stallion that she wasn't a foal and certainly didn't need anyone to play with but then she saw the playful look that crossed over his face. Lace actually had a likable personality. If only it came out to play more often.

What if the stallion didn't pick up on the strategy that Lace had pulled out?
"I erm.. it is nice to meet you! I hope that the wind allows us to cross paths once more." She winked at him and fell into step with Lace.

"Do you think that he will follow?" She asked once they had gotten out of hearing range.

x - x
Magic usage is okay.

Unregistered

CHISEL

Ultimately, Chisel surmised that the smaller stallion had also long previously come to the conclusion that the spotted mare talked too much just as he had. He supposed it was just in her nature, though he could not understand it. He knew he could come off quite irritable and standoffish himself at times, and allowed the mare her habits as every one seemed to have some that others found disagreeable. It was impossible to say who would prefer a chatter mouth over a brooding old giant and vice versa, so he felt he could hold no disdain fairly over Rei. The sharper tongue that Lace unleashed upon her seemed to snap her own into more tame speech, nevertheless. He listened as they described the forest and began to gather an inkling for its strangeness, an explanation as to why his coat tingled before as he broached further and further inward. They spoke with an air of grandeur, as if living in this world was a gift. Perhaps, it was. Uncharacteristically, Chisel allowed himself a flicker of hope that his long run was at an end, and he might sleep at night with both eyes closed for the first time in his life. That thought faded though, and he contented himself with knowing that he would most likely never lose his sense of caution. It was the only thing that had kept him alive so far, and it would be foolish to toss it away now for no true reason.

With a new interest he turned from Lace and listened to Rei. She spoke with a much wiser air of knowing now, perhaps having calmed down after initially appearing. He wanted to ask questions, but he was not the type to interrupt or butt in. He would have remained silent until she had told him the entire history of the world most likely, had she not prompted him with a question. His name. He probably should have mentioned it sooner, but in all honesty he gave it out so little now and even less often in his distant past that sometimes he altogether forgot he had one. "Chisel is my name. Or so I was told. And...I appreciate the notion, but it is not necessary to remove my chain. I have found it prudent to keep it as a reminder...to be grateful for what I have gained."

He lost himself in thought to his own words, what they truly meant to him and how he had surprised himself in actually saying such aloud. It was rare that he had to voice his own thoughts and sometimes when he did they came as a bit of a shock to him. But, he supposed it was true enough; the chain was a memento, albeit a painful one, of a time when he was not the master of his own fate. He was now, but it kept him in check and gave him focus. It drove him to always look for better, to believe it was reachable at some point in the future. With a bit of a start, he realized the other two had dismissed themselves and were turning away from him to stride off into the wizened forest beyond. His ears swiveled in a wave of confusion and he wondered at the swiftness with which they had given up their interest. It then became a bit more obvious that it was but a ploy, but he allowed the other stallion that it was a strategic move.

With a toss of his coarse mane and slight chinking noise in response, he drifted after them with the lumbering pace of his size. They had gotten a sizable distance ahead of him, but he was still quicker than he appeared when he desired to be. Mimicking the silver stallion's humorous tone from earlier, Chisel called in as "playful" a tone he could muster, "I've never met anyone give up so quickly before, regardless of if they thought they were bothering me." His voice rasped slightly - he was not in the habit of using it this much at a time very often. It probably ruined whatever success his teasing might have produced in the process, he mulled darkly. He might as well ask his questions now, though he had sworn he hadn't cared only moments before. Sometimes that happened to him: he'd suddenly pick up an interest where before it could not be stirred even if he willed it to be. It must have been something in the way that they wouldn't stop mentioning it. "You might as well tell me what the Dragon's Throat is, and why it is that I should visit there instead of some other place."

The truth was he was under no impression he belonged anywhere. He never had before, and others had certainly never loved him, not in the way he knew most other horses seemed to love a select few close ones. He had always made more enemies than friends, though there were a few pairs of eyes that had looked upon him not in fear but rather in compassion. That was a strange sensation for him, having been raised in an environment that harbored the notion that he was worthless and deserved no one's sympathy for he was not deserving of it. Perhaps, that was untrue, perhaps, it was not. Either way, mind over matter was far easier said than done, in principle and in practice. The sound of the Dragon's Throat place wasn't altogether unfamiliar; he had bid his time in a desert before, a place where only the outlaws had been sent. He was no true outlaw, not really. He had merely chosen the place where he knew he was least likely to be found by anyone who might still be chasing after him. This new place could be worth at least glancing at, he told himself. Whether or not he would call it home was another matter that he was not concerned with just yet. "Do you both hail from there?"

Credit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

He didn't answer the spotted girl, just gave her a glance from the corner of the eye and a quick wink that suggested she wait and see. Truth be told he wasn't sure himself; sometimes people were more willing to be pulled along than pushed, and other times nothing one said would help. Recruitment was an art form, it required certain people skills that just as often demanded the ability to be quiet and listen as a skilled tongue; and, in most cases, one had to be lucky.

This time, it seemed, his little ploy really did pan out. Lace exchanged a grin with Rei as he picked up on heavy footfalls approaching from behind, breathed a quiet sigh of relief that he'd saved face with the slack-jawed girl, and as Chisel caught up he extended the somewhat mischievous smile to the stallion as well. It didn't bother him that the other had seen through his scheme; on the contrary, it hinted towards a good head on those broad shoulders and the grullo truly appreciated that. Few things were so annoying as someone who had the potential strength and skill to make a difference but were too dumb to make use of them.

"Glad to see you're interested in continuing the chat" he chuckled, feeling the spirits rising in hope. "Of course we will tell you, whatever you wish to know." He altered the course ever so slightly so that they began moving on a more direct path towards the south, meant to bring them through the outskirts of the Deep Forest before crossing Thistle Meadow and passing by the Heart. As they walked he kept looking between the companions, quietly surprised at how good it felt to travel in the company of others; apart from Fajira his roaming was usually carried out in solitude.

"Rei does" he answered as a question was posed and gestured with the nose to the winged mare. "I'm staying there for the time being while helping out with a few things. It's a nice place in general; it sits on the southern coast on a small peninsula, surrounded by ocean on three sides and connected to the mainland by a narrow strip of earth. The climate is quite dry, the summers get really hot and you get some sandstorms from time to time... There's an oasis in the center of the isle though, so there's plenty of food and water to come by."

"As for the herd..." He glanced at Rei, wondering how long she had been a part of the Throat and how much she knew of its history. "I know it used to be one of the biggest herds in Helovia, with numbers touching on the thirties at its prime. They allied primarily with one of the other herdlands called the World's Edge, and as far as I know that allegiance still holds... There's been a bout of plague afflicting all of Helovia recently though, and after it passed there's been a lot of shuffling and reorganization among the herds; I don't know as much about things as I used to do."

"Maybe you know more, Rei?" he asked and looked at her, interested himself in hearing of the current politics - providing that she had been keeping up with things, that is.

@[Rei]

The Store | The Warden

A smile bright enough to shame the sun lit Rei's face as she heard, as well as felt, the heavy steps that followed behind them. Gently she nudged Lace's shoulder, "Go you! she murmured, delighted their success. With an ear pointed towards Lace and another directed at Chisel she listened to her home being described and eagerly awaited the reaction to his words.

"I am a newer member, but I am trying my best to be knowledgeable about the events in the herd. She took a moment to gather her thoughts. Whenever describing Dragon's Throat she felt a great deal of pressure to help them realize the greatness of the Throat. Daily she found herself in awe of the beauty of her home. The way that the sun lovingly kissed its land. The way that even the breeze brushed through the oasis offering solace, pausing long enough to receive thanks but never long enough to fully banish the heat. How cool the oasis' water felt on your lips after a run. Rei sighed contently, what was there not to love about the Dragon's Throat?

"We are no longer one of the largest bands but we have strengths where they matter most. Officially we are followers of the God of the Sun, although you are just as free to not be one of his followers. I've met him once. After that brief meeting he made me a loyal follower. I hope that you get a chance to meet him oneday. Once again Rei fell hushed, the sound of her hooves brushing against fallen leaves was all that resounded from the mare. Momentarily she was lost in her own thoughts revolving around the God of the Sun.

"Africa is one of our sultanas, Sohalia also leads alongside her. I haven't ever spoken with Sohalia but in all of my time with Africa she is wonderful to be around. In the latest herd meeting Africa mentioned our alliance with Hidden Falls and the World's Edge. I haven't visited either myself. If you wanted I could take you to visit them! Rei debated about if she should mention the Aurora Basin herd to Chisel. If he wandered that way and ran into one of the cold dwellers of the Basin she would feel responsible but she also didn't know if it would be appropriate to mention. The leopard mare glanced in Lace's direction wondering if he would say anything about them.

OOC: Sorry for the wait and how 'meh' this post is. If there hasn't been a response yet I will fix it up some tomorrow.
x - x
Magic usage is okay.