the Rift

[OPEN] Sugar 'n Vinegar

Muriel Posts: 54
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 6 Years 4 Months
Brit

Gone. Disappeared. For the hundredth time she was left, broken and confused, sobbing into the air for days seeking a form that would not be returning. She searched the land endlessly, wearing her stamina to the thinnest of threads, until her body was shrieking and her mind dizzied by the strenuous searching. And in repetition she was left bereft. Leliel had left her. Again. He had asked her to teach him to love, and she had allowed herself to tentatively open her heart to the blind, sour stallion once more. Had fallen back into his web no matter her convoluted reasonings for hesitation. Was she doomed to that cycle? To loving and being left again and again? Muriel had given everything for Leliel. She had left their home, had traveled endlessly in pursuit of him, had abandoned all friends and the stability of a home, herd and family...all to be snapped at, disregarded, hated. And when she had believed him to finally be changing, opening up...when she thought her tears were finally for nought, that happiness and required love was within reach...he abandoned her.

It hurt far worse than any other time, for it to occur at such a time when she was most vulnerable. And with a shattered heart and useless figure, Muriel decided that she couldn't do anything more. A small part of her prayed it was an accident; maybe he blindly stumbled away or was stolen? But to have been dumped and destroyed so many times, that hope was abysmally small. So she stumbled forth, too tired to cry and too deadened to care where her hooves led her. Quad wings drooped until pure golden tips were sullied in the autumn soil, dragging limply. Vapid, glassy lavender eyes hardly moved or blinked as she ventured into territories unknown.

She was alone. Leliel had been her only companion, and she was a damned fool to be content with only him in her life. And her only friend, dearest Onni, was missing...so she was solitary and terrified, too weak and defenseless to ward off any predators that might seek her hide. Briefly she considered dropping, allowing them her tender grieving flesh. What was left for her after all? But the same fire that had driven her off bloody knees in the darkness of the Veins kept her from crumbling then. Maybe it was anger, for she had always been the sweetest of sugars with anyone she'd ever encountered, had done nothing to be punished for but love too much and too strongly. Was that so wrong?

The Edge was filled with memories of Leliel and the harsh encounter with Aurelia, and without Onni to greet her the Throat was a barren land she could find no potential comfort in. Herdlands were nameless and numberless to her, but she could not hear the weight of her solitude any longer. Even a herd that didn't know not care to learn her name would be an improvement. So instead she traveled, evading all rest after the initial nightmares, heart shattered to have awoken without Leliel there to offer awkward care and condolences. There was no coordinated path, merely searching aimlessly for the chance to miraculously bump into a border and offer up whatever minuscule use she had in her body to the leaders.

In honesty she had expected to drop of her exhaustion before ever finding a herdland, and it took a few lengthy moments of staring at the invisible scent markers before she realized in her worn out brain that she'd actually made it. The desire to cry was nearly overwhelming but she held it in and sucked in a breath to cry out brokenly for somebody, anybody. She must look a right mess, seconds from dropping to the earth in a slump, but Muriel fervently prayed they would not turn her away for appearing so useless.

She had nowhere else to go if they did.

Joining but anyone welcome!

Muriel
I've been waiting to smile for awhile now
Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
I was patrolling; as usual. Patrolling the borders as its silent guardian, mostly to keep watch for newcomers or greet kin that trailed in from the island. My gaze was alert but distant from the spot which held me. I thought about all that had happened recently, prayed quietly and mediated on each prayer. Wondering if there was even a correct answer.

“Forgiveness.” I whispered, into the wind, to nobody in particular. Gaze lidded shut, clinching upon my eyes until they wrinkled. A thing that usually came easy to me, now was hard in the making because of new demands on this title. In the Throat, I’d been free to harbor hidden resentment for the Basin and its crew.

But now, Earth was set to purge it from my soul – like clay upon a wheel I resisted it, and even in a small way resented that I had to struggle with demons that I’d been content in thrusting to the darkest portions of my heart. He’d know it was there all along. Known about my dislike for them and their kin – yet waited, until I could had finally realized the damage these emotions had.

“I don’t know how to change it…” my voice is soft, pleading almost. I’ll try, I’d promised.

Fina chortled from above, nudging my mind into the present moment. I blinked eyes open, the pools troubled and distorted. They sharpened moments later, sliding a protective mask across the storm that was ragging deep within me. Her gaze pulled me to a traveler down below, a Pegasus with not just a pair of wings, but two sets.

Intrigued and momentarily grateful for this distraction I slipped from this high perch and glided easily to the ground. A forced smile slipped across lips, “Hail, and welcome.” I called, alighting a fair distance away so not to disturb the lass with dust or its likeness. “Ye stands near Hidden Falls, might I ask for what purpose ye comes here?” She was weary, the strain of travel still hot upon face.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased
Brit

Silence envelopes the rose lass as she awaits an answer, legs too weary to carry her on their golden ribboned pillars further towards the borders. Her thoughts are a maelstrom, one she stubbornly ignores after the countless days spent tiring herself by getting swept up in it, fighting to overcome it. The winds are cool on sweat dampened skin, stirring pale coral and cream tresses against the low arch of her neck. It's pleasant after her endless plodding, to just rest and enjoy the breeze. Stare with tired lavender eyes into the greenery of the lush forest surrounding her, ears twitching pathetically at the distant sounds of water.

She's not alone too terribly long, although Muriel had already known she would await a patrol instead of searching one out, with her exhausted frame. Shuffle of wings and the barely audible chitter of a bird draws her tiara heavenwards, searching the lattice of canopied branches above for a form that is soon revealed. It is a stag, composed of ivory and shadows with fierce golden glimmers accenting the powerful frame that alights with contrasting gentleness before her. Despite her weariness she refuses to be impolite, forcing her hooves forth upon the greenery to approach him. Drops her crown respectfully as she peers up beneath pale pink lashes.

Voice rings out, deep and unfamiliar in ears that have only ever tuned to Leliel. Muriel is unsure for a moment how to answer, used to seeking in Leliel's place instead of deciding something for her own benefit and her own alone. "I was hoping for a family," she admits with soft soprano vocals, only to squint in embarrassment and shake her tiara at her wording. "A home. Sorry." Apology comes far too naturally, accustomed to constant desiring for forgiveness for a multitude of tiny things she deemed wrong when it came to Leliel. It seemed all she knew was how to apologize. Wings shuffled and hugged her sides, comforting herself in silence.

Glancing up she smiled, and despite her exhaustion it was just as pure and sweet as it always was, innocent and endearing as she cast it upon Midas. "My name is Muriel. I...I have no talents, but I can learn!" She was quick to assure, assuming she would be turned away for her ineptitude, desperate to promise she would attempt to remedy her inadequacies. Even so her smile never wavered, tentatively moving closer in hopes of companionship, aware of the tension shuddering on the stallion's frame and hesitating in the face of it. It seemed even when worn out she was still too exuberant.

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
She was a pleasant sunset, painted delicately by the gods; an appearance that strongly reminded this mind of a rose. I wondered silently if, said stranger also carry thorns in testimony? Yar, but she was lovely and interesting all the same. I’d never met a Pegasus who carried an extra set of wings; though my voice was wisely silent on such musing, there would be ample time to discuss such matters later if our meeting went down a favorable path.

Fina soared down, her interest also spiked. She’d been circling from high above – aqua eyes glued to extra feathers and the way they laid fluidly across that flush bodice. The phoenix alighted across patched rear, gaze wavering between curiosity and bafflement. Two emotions she rarely partook.

The taller lass replied, stating that she was seeking a family. My smile widened, without the cruel touch of humor that others might posses, it was genuine and gentle. She stumbled though the wording, turning eyes aside to clear mind. A home. A home that would likely become part of said family.

Despite the stumbling and obvious exhaustion, the lass offered me a charitable grin, her innocence a refreshing change of pace. In spite of myself this body relaxed almost naturally, falling into its place of unmasked delight and care, “Yar, I would greet ye as sister, if it does ye fine,” bright beam shifted higher, muzzle moved aside, swaying round, turning to point toward the cascading fall. “Hidden Falls will never turn away an eager heart, ye is certainty welcome to stay and live among us. I’m sure we will find work that suits thee talents.”

Turning full attention back to Muriel, gentle vocals tacked on, “Please, call me Midas.”

Deceased
Brit

Iridescent gold coins gaze at her with subtle curiosity, and the fae allowed her eyes to roam over the unknown Czar with her own intrigued reasonings. Bulk and scars with a mantle of armor round the throat is sign of battle, a warrior with plenty of wins beneath the title he surely heralded. From the skies a flaming bird circled downwards, and Muriel stared in unabashed awe and innocent excitement at the beautiful creature. Before she could think to correct herself she blurted out her thoughts, four wings fluffing up with pleasure; "She's beautiful!" Only to feel heat on her face as she shyly dropped her gaze. "Or...he?" she amended lamely, fearing to potentially offend the majestic creature, wings slimming back down as if the make herself appear smaller in her embarrassment. But she was a naturally sunny soul, and her smile returned momentarily, delighted to have her solitude broken no matter how new and unknown Midas was to her. He was still company to her lonely mind after all.

And, it seemed, good company. His smile was handsome and winsome in both aspects, kindly enough to turn her warm smile into a blaze of sunshine, seeming to come alive at his gentle reception despite the sluggishness of her bones. Muriel was an easily pleased maiden, nearly cooing with joy to have such a nice stallion welcoming her so warmly. Leliel, even as she had attempted to teach something as instinctive as love, had always been harsh and withdrawn. With no other friends to count among her fold, the rose damsel was more than eager to befriend the patched knight with the pleased smile and relaxing posture. Were her vocals suited for the task of purring, it was likely she would be in that moment.

Maybe she wouldn't have to be alone and selfless anymore. Maybe she could afford to look out for herself just once.

Tenor voice rolled over curved listeners, and Muriel gasped and smiled brightly with a delicate curl of pale sakura blossom lips. "It would be a gift, to be called such," she breathed, lavender eyes glimmering with gratitude, a tad moist. She had been lonely for so long, and she feared her forthright outbursts would dissuade the male, make him think her capricious and superfluous in her reactions. Ducking her head shyly, wishing she wasn't so awkward and eager, she instead held tight to the distraction of his words that followed. The Hidden Falls. With it came an assurance of a place for we among their ranks, and alongside it his title.

"Thank you, Midas," her soprano voice whispered, leaning forward with bright gems to offer her muzzle without a shred of hesitation, a creature of touch that relied on the brush of skin to form kinship and reaffirm bonds. Completely blind to the fact he could easily be uncomfortable with such affection when they were still strangers to one another. "I would love to be your sister. Do you think the leaders will find me suitable?" Do you think they will like me? The childish question was left unspoken but blatantly obvious as it hung in the air, her eyes drifting over the scenery as if anticipating one of them to appear and chase her from the borders. Completely clueless to the fact that she stood before one of them already.

"Oh, I'm so sorry if I seem so strange...I have been...it's been a very long time since I've seen anyone," she confessed, suddenly self-conscious but always sincere in her wavering emotions, wings and ears wilting as her voice dropped to nary a whisper. "But I will serve the herd faithfully, I won't make you regret your offer." Even on shaking limbs, looking an overall wreck, her eyes were stony amethysts with the internal oath that she would be a model herd mate. Muriel could offer at least that, and to prove it her tiara tilted in endearing interest, questions forming on her lips. "What is the Hidden Falls like? What ranks can I aspire towards? I've not been in a herd since I arrived in Helovia seasons ago, I don't wish to make a fool of myself more than I already have with you," she laughed freely, a soft chiming sound that revealed she was more than comfortable poking fun at herself despite the sincerity hiding behind the cloak of her amusement.

---

Ugh that was bad.

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
If my avian could have purred her pleasure, she certainly might have; those faint emotions of curiosity were rewarded with complements that had an instant effect on demeanor. This firechild had learnt our tongue during earlier years of life and thus could understand Muriel perfectly, “Nice girl. Pretty girl,” Fina murmured, (obviously not impressionable), clicking her beak together and fluffing up flaming feathers. Passively my companion swayed back and forth, tucking chin to prune a feather which already lay perfectly flat. “She,” I verified, easily maintaining my smile with one eye and ear angled back toward the prideful bird that sat across rear.

Muriel is one of those rare individuals that was easy to approve rather effortlessly. Her manner was genuine and talented at luring my natural easement. Rosy muzzle pressed forward, seeking assurance, seeking to traditionally solidify our meeting and a blossoming kinship – this gesture was a sign of friendship or in better term, a desire for such. Dark velvet willingly extends to meet the soft whiskers with a tame breath of hot air.

When she asked if the herd leads would approve I can only grin all the wider, “Aye,” I replied, withdrawing. My expression is one of compassion, lacking the formalities of prudency, “I stand as a leader and give blessing to this.”Though the blush female would have come to know me by Czar eventually, I would have such notion transparent beforehand and then brushed aside – for it wasn’t the caption and power which defined who I was as a man.

Those who knew my title beforehand often revealed their better nature to compensate, it was rare for me to announce myself as Czar when meeting new bloods. She asked about our ranks and seemed earnest in settling, I was satisfied with a face value knowledge that my company was not only seeking the benefits of herd life, but also stretching outward to provide use for the benefit of others.

“We prefer to build upon what skillset ye already utilizes; however, there is ample mentors to aid in schooling a talent ye may or may not already possess. Our family has room for all talents, be it in healing, crafting, fighting and beyond.” There were many who aspired and fell short of their desires, simply because they were unwilling to go the distance, “Ranks are granted through dedication.”

Deceased
Brit

Awe coated pastel pink features as Fina ruffled flaming feathers, preening and only furthering simultaneously Muriel's admiration of her. She was captivated by the hued specimen, hardly daring to look away from the fierce raptor even as Midas confirmed her query. Muriel had never seen a companion like Fina before. Had in fact only seen Lyhty, Onni's fickle bird, before. But she felt the fool to be gawking with such a stupid smile upon her face, embarrassment turning her eyes away firmly. Muriel had never been around someone like Midas, and she found herself coveting his patience and firm, easy nature. He was so unlike any other stallion she'd encountered, more specifically the shortly tempered Leliel, and she was so out of her depth that she feared a misstep that would surely reveal the frustrated side of him that simply had to exist. Until then, the least she could do was bask in his refreshing nature, and wonder if maybe things could start looking up for her.

A relieved giddiness overtook her, nearly dizzying, as coal kissers happily received her and reciprocated the exuberant touch. Lavender eyes were positively sparkling, and as their muzzles parted her doubled wings puffed in guileless display of pleasure, preening much like Fina had as her fiercely joyous heart reflected like an enlarged mirror across all her body. Muriel was practically incapable of lying or concealing her emotions, she broadcasted them in such shameless conspicuousness. But she had much to be happy for; a home, a family, even a new friend! One soon revealed to be her benevolent leader. An embarrassed noise trembled out of her throat and gold tipped feathers shivered in horror. Oh, she had treated her new leader so intimately! But he seemed unbothered, so her worried face cleared into a mix of hope and tentative excitement. After all, that meant she really could be one of them if he was accepting her as the leader!

Of the ranks he spoke far more, and Muriel felt much like a bouncing little filly upon his knee, eager to learn. A sponge all too willing to soak up that which he offered to share. "I'm not much a fighter, and perhaps too clumsy to craft...but I want to learn, at least, how to fight!" She assured, eyes blazing with determination as doubled wings spread. Surely she would be an asset in aerial battle because of them? "Could I learn to fight, but maybe heal instead?" Voice took a turn for the tentative, still unfamiliar with the ranks and her own allowances, looking to Midas for guidance on the topic even as joviality squirmed and preened in her very marrow.

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
There was a youthful almost innocent jolliness in the way she replied; a smile to warm the heart. It was like a burst of sunlight and I found myself gliding along the path of her words almost effortlessly. She brought joy without even realizing it. The admission of being unable to fight was one met without disappointment on my part – said lass was willing to learn yar, but also seemed to possess a tender spirit. A thing that could be sadly, battle hardened.

Healing. Aye, her personality would suit such rank. I nodded willingly enough, “Certainly, we have an excellent medic that would be eager to school ye. There are also many soldiers who could train ye to fight.” Thinking of the sweet little mare that resided within our herd I added, “Our healer is Kiara, and she is a gentle soul. Often the girl travels in the company of a panther.” Gaze shifted toward the rising cliffs and the roar of distant thunder, “Shall we travel into a new home then?” My smile widened expectantly and one ear tipped in her direction to catch the response. Ivory feathers spread apart, cooling the flesh beneath and rustling as the breeze pushed against hollow points.

I was curious to see how easily a double set of wings would carry the girl, though I was also careful to keep gaze diverted to her face and away from those lovely appendages. A polite upbringing taught me to keep my personal pondering and curiosities inside.