the Rift

[PRIVATE] Gossamer Tears

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

There was no healing to be done, no obedience to drive weary bones into motion. The hurt along the curves of his body was ever present, but he found himself undeserving of the talents his shy sister or painted disciple could offer. No, and he did not desire their cheerful forced optimism either, nor their hidden looks of concern and veiled attempts at prying into his thoughts on the matter. There was only one soul he desired to see, to speak to. There was only one he trusted in that role, regardless. So he waited, drenched in water to the knees and flaked in blood above, until Kahlua was sure to be gone. And he lifted tired eyes to the sky and sang out softly, voice specific and wheedling, calling for the wise October woman and her firm words. She had helped him once before in extraordinary ways...but was she capable of advising him on matters of the heart? Or would he have to seek out the experience of someone else? Briefly Destrier came to mind, but he had to even speak to his brother since his return; he did not deserve to be welcomed back with such a burden.

Dropping to his knees to splash the water weakly upon his canvas with a flutter of wings, birdlike, the King stared at his reflection with a vapid sort of silence. He could not allow his feelings to separate the ruling pair, could not afford such weakness of leadership. But his heart was weary and his thoughts pessimistic. What if the revelation never came? What if it came and instead he was turned away? Or somehow she decided that he was wrong and would forever regard his love as a ball and chain around her limbs? Kaj knew his love for her was already tainted, impure with his doubts and his desires to protect her. Instead of an equal he at times saw a child, both frustrating and endearing. Were they even compatible? Hearts were such complex things, and he ached to know he may always make the wrong choices, so out of tune with it as he was.

So instead he stood on shaking bowed legs, wading from the water to shiver plaintively in the chill of the autumn fog and the wind off the ocean. He would not face Evangeline as a coward, would at least be seen standing instead of curled in fetal defeat in the blood stained spring. There was still a level of pride in his exhausted bodice; it was likely that, more so than any power of will, that kept him standing and awaiting her arrival.

Sighing he drooped to snuffle disinterestedly at the grass, eyes glassy and drooped as body ached and flamed up with frustration at his lack of desire to seek magical aid. But he had lived in worse bodily conditions, had fought again in similar shape. Helovia had softened him. Briefly he was disappointed in himself. Tearing away from the grass he listlessly moved about, no real goal aside from a focus aside from the hurricane in his head. His title had never been more fitting; if only he didn't bring his own storms upon himself.

@[Evangeline]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
You see her when you close your eyes
Maybe one day you'll understand why

'Something not right.' Tallis had been lounging on his bonded's back as she grazed, but the unmistakable sound of the Stormbringer's voice had drawn his attention. Evangeline had heard it as well but had disregarded it because he had not called out her name. It had seemed like a simple song, but Tallis had heard something in their leader's voice that he did not like. 'Go see.' he urged his bonded. 'Something wrong.'

At Tallis' urging the orange mare stopped grazing and lifted her head, turning it enough so that she could look at the dragon perched on her back. He was no longer laying but standing with his head raised, eyes fixed in a particular direction. "You're sure something's wrong?" She asked, to which she got a nod from the dragon. "What is it?" The dragon paused then shook his head. 'Don't know, but something wrong.'

Knowing that there was no way she would be able to graze or have a lazy day with Tallis thinking that something was wrong the orange mare abandoned her patch of clover and began to move through the forest. Eventually she happened upon Kaj, who looked worse for the wear. "Kaj?" Her emerald gaze drifted from him to the pool that was stained red with what she naturally assumed to be blood. Before she could even tell him to, Tallis was already in the air beginning to search for anything that could have attacked the King. "Find it and subdue it." She instructed the dragon as he flew away.

"Kaj..." Evangeline said his name again, a frown marring her face. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"."

As she always did when his mind was tumultuous and in dire need of her firm straightening, she came. Kaj never knew how she always seemed to know when it was that he needed her but in that moment was too weary to question it. Instead he lifted listless gaze to her frowning, concerned visage. A rope snapped and untangled rapidly inside of him, relief the output as his eyes fell upon her and realized that he finally had someone near who could help him. Her worry was nearly tangible, a pulsing essence that sent Tallis to the skies and brought her own frame closer. Watched as her eyes flickered between him and the bloodied pool, smiling weakly with a tinge of bittersweet amusement.

"Confutatis came, seeking entrance to our home by way of challenge. It was a fierce, rather tiresome battle. Resplendence already tended to Kahlua after her own challenge, I merely don't wish to see nor bother her." The confession was soft as he winced and moved towards the nectarine painted lass with stiff, disjointed movements. Seeking her eyes with his own tired blues, corners pinched and wrinkled with lingering pain. Face crumpled suddenly with grief and he hoped she would not find him lesser for the emotions suddenly too weighted for his quivering shoulders.

"Kahlua came to me...she confessed to love me, but finds the notion to be a shackle. She despises the idea of losing her freedom. And I could not take her proffered love when she did so in such a defeated manner. Evangeline...I do not know what to do. I love her surely, but I fear my love may be mildly familial...you already know my fears concerning her, my problems with seeing her as a ruling equal. Am I even suited for her?" Voice came through constricted and tortured, seeking wisdom from the mate he'd always turn to no matter what position she carried. Swallowing heavily he hook his head, wincing as the glass armor dug into sore shoulders with the motion, further reminding him of the painted Queen.

"Are we even compatible? So much has come upon me in one eve, Evangeline. I need your help desperately, I am too weary to carry these burdens alone. You are the only one I feel I can turn to." Sincerely he gazed at her, beseeching her to help him; even though he doubted heavily that she would seek to turn him away from her bosom of wisdom and clarity. Was it weak to need help on matters of the heart? Perhaps, but Kaj had no longer the strength to manage the break of his body alongside that of his heart.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

Confutatis. The name seemed so utterly familiar and yet Evangeline could not put a face with a name. She was sure that she had heard the name time and again back in Isilme, but those times seemed so long ago now. "I do not agree with your decision not to seek out the aid of a healer." The orange mare said pointedly when Kaj had finished speaking the first time. "What good would it do you to be tired, sore, and stiff should yet another come to challenge you? You look about ready to fall over now." She was willing to bet that if she shoved him he would be unable to stay on his feet and would, instead, tumble to the ground. "It is her duty to make sure that everyone in the herd is healthy and at their best, citizens and leaders alike..." Evangeline cut herself off as Kaj seemed to fall apart right in front of her.

Tallis announced his return with a loud trill as he landed in the trees above them and peered down at the king and his bonded, head tilting at the waves of protectiveness and exasperation rolled off of the orange mare. "Kaj..." Her voice trailed as he began to speak again. It seemed that all of their meetings were situated around Kahlua and Eva couldn't help but wonder how one single mare could make the poor stallion so distraught. He spoke of Kahlua's admission of love and his own love for the mare that he feared was more familial than anything else.

"Love is very a complicated thing. It can be your greatest strength or your greatest weakness. With it you can build an entire nation and with it you can tear a nation apart at the seams." She'd had her own experiences with love, had thought she'd found the one that she could give the entirety of her heart to only to have it ripped out and thrown in the mud. "You may love her, but are you in love with her?" Eva's ears tilted forward as she spoke. "And before you say anything, yes there is a difference."

"."

Properly chastised, the King allowed a wraith of a smile to curl his lips at Evangeline's method if tough love. It was one of the reasons he adored her as much as he did. She certainly commanded respect no matter her rank. "I will seek her after we part, if it pleases you." Though Kaj was doing it more for Evangeline's sake than his own, he had not the energy to explain why he was so reluctant to seek out the doctors for their aid. Knew they would somehow smell the confession on his skin like rabid dogs and attempt to help him. But of course both Doctors were impossibly fond of Kahlua, and Kaj couldn't help his doubts towards their impartial nature should he attempt to ask for their help.

Tallis returned with a soft trill of vocal chords, accompanying the soft halted sentence of which only his name escaped Evangeline's lips. He felt frail beyond measure and wondered why it was his worries and problems always seemed to center around Kahlua. "I apologize for always causing you to inform me on matters that concern Kahlua...it seems she is always the heart of my thickest conflicts." Had he not trusted Evangeline as much as he did, Kaj would have felt uncomfortable making any of his flock advise him on their Queen. But the pumpkin lass was different, and the golden stag sensed that in her.

Her questions were always anticipated, but the nature of them always staggering. Kaj sighed as she pointedly reminded him that it was not an answer she expected to come with speed, clearly demanding modest contemplation. Soaking in induced silence Kaj attempted to find the elusive answer he so sought. "I don't know...I know that I love her, but to be in love with her? She and I, we seem at odds so often...she exasperated me sometimes, my worry for her often blankets all else. I can't find the answer you seek," he confessed, shoulders sagging and face twisting with frustration at his inability to define what he felt for the painted woman.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

"I would prefer that you see a healer." Evangeline said when Kaj agreed to see one if it would please her. "But I cannot make you do what you do not wish to." He was the king, after all, and even though he took her reprimands gracefully she could not make him do what he did not wish to, nor could she make anyone else. He then apologized for seeming to always come to her about Kahlua and Evangeline only gave a shake of her head. "It is my job to be an advisor, is it not?" She asked. "I will advise you on whatever you seek me out for, be it of importance or otherwise."

Silence reigned supreme as the golden king contemplated the question that she had posed for him. For as much weight as the question held she felt that it was a fairly simple one. If he was in love with Kahlua then he would know. He would feel it not only in his heart but with ever fiber of his being. When he finally did answer he only showed more doubt and confusion over the matter. 'Silly King.' Tallis murmured from the branch above them. Such confusion was what the dragon had come to expect when the Queen and Eva interacted.

"Okay." She would have to break it down for him, it seemed, to get him to the answer that only he would know. "Does she bring joy to your life? Do you look forward to seeing her everyday? When you part do you miss her? Do you feel like a part of yourself is gone? Do you often imagine a future with her? Do you think about children?" The orange mare tried to keep her voice steady as she posed the questions to the feelings that she had felt at one time, herself. "Do the simplest things she do make you smile? Do you find her quirks endearing? Would you lay down your life for her? Could you bear the thought of her loving someone else? Could you live your life without her? If she left would you think about her every day?" Eva blinked as her questions came to an abrupt halt and she turned her head away from the king. Unwanted tears had gathered in her eyes and begun their slow trek down her cheeks. As her questions progressed she had begun to think more and more about Validino and how much she had loved him. How much she still loved him even after he'd torn her heart out and left her with nothing.

Evangeline cleared her throat and blinked away the remainder of her tears. "Well?" She prompted the king, not wanting her tears to be the new focus of their conversation.

"."

A slow shake of a large golden cranium was what preceded any answer Kaj could conjure. Fond, almost. "Your word and wishes mean far more to me than you allow yourself to think Evangeline. If you wish me healed I will do so. Perhaps you cannot force me, but you would never need to." Kaj instinctively always held the opinions of his kin far above his own, took their word as gravely as he could and desired only to bring relief and happiness. If seeking out one of the Doctors helped ease the- worry?- from Evangeline's mind, Kaj would do it instantaneously. He merely sought her wisdom above the mending of his body, found peace of mind to be more valuable than current state of physical wellness. "Even so, I would hope to not bore you with something that could be considered so trivial. Though I do appreciate you helping regardless of that." Crown ducks subtly in emphasis, halfway shy with how he felt more like a ridiculous bowkneed colt than a King, seeking her out for such matters.

In the past she had known to break things down for him, and just as he was incapable of understanding Helovian idioms, the comprehension between his brain and heart was similarly muddled. Her tears caused a frown to curl at pale lips. Stepping forward he extended muzzle to the orange fae in silence, a gesture of support and companionship, but also an assurance that he would not pry until she desired to freely share her woes with him. What was more demanding of his immediate attention were the questions she posed- multitudes of them. And he answered them in turn, voice soft and contemplative despite the depth of tone, like thunder. "She brings me joy in simple times, but I am as eager to see her as I am you and many others. Perhaps more? And though I miss her presence when she is joyful, I do not feel incomplete without her." A tremble of stiffness tried to awaken in tired muscles at the next two words and he cast his gaze away from Evangeline, suddenly ashamed by the answer waiting like vinegar on his tongue. "In my old home lands, foals were cherished. But mating came from love, and many stallions found mates in other stallions. Mares were the superior, ruling gender. Stallion pairs beseeched and bought their services for foals. Foals were a transaction but were well loved. In Helovia, these relationships do not exist prominently. I desire foals more than anything," he strained, heart desiring to burst from his chest at the fierce, desperate recognition. "But I do not...I do not often see them with Kahlua. Or with any discernible features, in my dreams. Merely shadowed shapes of desire." Feeling as if he had gotten off track he cleared his throat sheepishly and looked up to gaze through the woven branches overhead, the lattice work intriguing but not enough to distract his line of vision from the blues of the sky where he found his thoughts.

"I find her actions, her quirks, both endearing and childish. I am fond of them, but partially exasperated by them as well. I would die for her, in a moment. Have put my life on the line to do just that. But I would do the same for any of the Edge, though my protectiveness is undoubtedly stronger with she. If she were to love another I would congratulate her, wish her the happiness she so seeks and deserves." Briefly in the back of his mind he wondered if that was bad. But who was he to forbid her? He would feel heartache perhaps, in measures, but not enough to be jealous or shattered to see her love another. Was it a sign, or merely another way he differed from the Helovians?

"She has left, before. But always returned. I would continue on, as I always have. I would think of her often, but I have found with my sister's death that such firm holds on memories are not healthy. I would attempt to not allow her to consume my thoughts, to continue on and live as I always have. Though I cannot assure I would fully forget her." Conflicted baby blues turned towards Evangeline with bated breath, seeking an answer in her eyes, anything at all that could tell him if he was worthy of Kahlua the way he wanted to be. Or if somehow the line Evangeline drew between loving and in love was one that would be of importance to his case.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

Evangeline shook her head when Kaj extended his muzzle toward her to comfort her. She did not often seek comfort from others and this time was no different. She withdrew, her questions continuing as she blinked away the tears until they finally stopped. She had foolishly let herself get caught up in the feelings that she had held for Validino and projected them onto Kaj.

One by one he answered her questions and it left Evangeline thinking that the king was not in love with the queen as she might have been with him. At the same time she was not sure that he was completely sure of the answers that he had given her. More than once she felt that he looked to her for answers to the questions that he was supposed to answer on his own. What really stuck out to her was when he said that he did not feel incomplete without her. She felt that anyone who was in love with someone would feel incomplete when the one they loved was not around. She had felt incomplete when Validino had first left her. At times she still felt incomplete but that hole in her heart was gradually mending and she was beginning to find herself again.

"From your answers ... I don't think you're in love with her." Evangeline said, feeling a pang of sadness for the queen. "But that does not mean that you won't fall in love with her in time. Sometimes love takes a while to manifest itself. Sometimes you never knew it was there. Ultimately I cannot tell you whether or not you're in love with her, I can only tell you what it sounds like. In the end you have to decide for yourself." Of course there was the possibility that Kaj would never hold anything more than a platonic love for the queen.

"But..." She paused and forced herself to meet Kaj's gaze. "Do not lead her on." The mare said sternly. "Be honest with her. If you're not in love with her then tell her, don't let her think that you are because when she finds out that you're not you'll only shatter her heart. But if you are in love with her then tell her. Show her. Don't ever make her question the depth of your feelings for her."

"."

Face slackens as she rejects him and he recoils with all the slow elegance he can muster despite the shake of his muscles. Does not allow her to see into his eyes, shuttering himself inside. He is too fragile in that moment for forgiveness, for understanding. Instead he falls into silence as she stares at him, wondering why he always assumed too much too soon. He had called Evangeline friend and wrongly assumed, had been to kindly and also been wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Apparently wrong about his feelings too. Kaj's face went from slack to unreadable, stony. Regality returned, neck arching and summoning whatever willpower remained to straighten, use his height to his advantage. A defense mechanism, a shield he hid behind shamelessly. He looked at Evangeline without truly looking, staring at the ridge of her brow instead of her eyes. Why was it everyone assumed him capable of such travesties? Firstly Kahlua, now Evangeline? But with Evangeline's tears still fresh in his memory he wondered, assumed, that she had once been led on. Just as Kahlua had been thinking of her father instead of Kaj.

"I am not so cruel as to lead her on, no matter what has happened in your own past to make you warn me. Just because my answers seem like I am not in love with Kahlua does not mean I do not love her, and your questions are also not infinitely inclusive." Voice dropped to soft, firm waters despite the mixed cocktail of emotions shaking up inside his body. Trying to convince her as well as himself without taking offense like the frustrated, worn out side of him wanted to. "There is no other out there for me, not that I can believe. I love Kahlua, no matter in love or otherwise. You and most Helovians are incapable of understanding the way love works in my lands, and I incapable of comprehending yours. But it doesn't mean I cannot try." His eyes are tired and head more so, a headache starting to grow inside his cranium at the disaster the day had become.

"I will give Kahlua what she wants and deserves. You find me lacking, so I shall try my hardest to fix it. The heart is second to the mind, and if I already love her surely I can fall in love with her." If he had to, Kaj would force himself to fall in love with Kahlua, if only because she deserved someone to love her and make her smile that beautiful smile he adored so much. And love her he did, the line still impossible to understand, as Evangeline had drawn it. Crown turned to stare into the distant horizon, away from Evangeline. "I apologize for my friendly advances. You will not face them again. It was wrong of me, to press them upon you when we are not close enough. In my old home touch was essential. I should know by now that it is not such here." Voice is firm and quiet, professional. Almost defeated. Would he never be able to understand the inhabitants of the land he had fallen in love with?

"I wish at times there was someone else I could love, someone I felt all those things for instinctively. But...Kahlua deserves happiness, and if she overcomes her fears, then I will love her as she deserves." Definitely defeated that time. Kaj had never imagined falling in love with a soul like Kahlua, didn't know how he had, but Kaj doubted there was anyone else in Helovia who could possibly summon that precious affection for him. And so he would love Kahlua, no matter how long it may take for him to fall in love with her.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

The look on his when she rejected his offer of comfort was disheartening. She hated that she was the one that had put that look on his face. It was natural instinct, the desire not to be hurt again, that had made draw back from the king. She liked him well enough, could think of him as a friend if she would allow herself, but friends disappeared. Lovers disappeared. Children disappeared. Time and again she had thought she'd found a friend only to be proven wrong, abandoned, and left alone again. It was the instinct to protect herself that had become so very strong. Above their heads Tallis chirped sadly and swooped down to settle himself on the king's back.

As Kaj began to speak her ears tilted forward and she listened, but when he referenced her past her ears fell back against her head. "I never said that you did not love her." Eva defended herself, and it was true. Not once had she said that the king did not love the queen, and she had only told him not to lead her one because she found that most stallions were dense when it came to matters of the heart. Stallions often hurt mares and didn't even realize what they had done and she was only trying to help Kaj avoid that with Kahlua.

"You can..." Evangeline agreed when Kaj said that he could fall in love with Kahlua. "Are you going to force yourself to?" She stood there, staring at the king who seemed unable to meet her eyes. "You don't want her to feel shackled by her love for you. How do you think she would feel if she found out that you had to force yourself to fall in love with her?" Honestly Eva thought that finding out that someone had to force themselves to fall in love with you would hurt immensely. If it were her she would question what it was about herself that wasn't good enough.

"I apologize for my friendly advances. You will not face them again. It was wrong of me, to press them upon you when we are not close enough. In my old home touch was essential. I should know by now that it is not such here."

"No... I apologize. I am very sorry." The orange mare whispered. She knew the minute she had rejected Kaj's offer of comfort that she had been wrong and the nail had been driven home when she'd seen the look on his face. "I need you to understand something... why I am the way that I am." She sighed as she thought back to her childhood. "I was barely weaned when my mother abandoned me and I never knew who my father was. I tried to make friends with the other foals my age, but I was too different. I didn't have a mom or a dad... I lived most of my life alone, hiding in a forest that was much, much different than anything here in Helovia. I... I met a stallion one day when I was running away from something. He adopted me after he convinced me that he wouldn't hurt me, that I could trust him. Was was common in my home. There were three stallions, the originals, who had sons. Very powerful sons... They destroyed my home. There was some ... some kind of power that knocked everyone out. When I woke up Ciryas was gone and I was alone again." She couldn't even remember how long she had spent scouring Isilme for him, the only father figure she'd ever had.

"I spent a great deal of time searching for him but I never found him. I did find a pit filled with... with bodies. Some of them weren't even dead yet. I saw a stallion put a mare out of her misery. I wanted to save them all and that put me on the path to heal. I joined a herd in the land that I had been hiding in for so long, but the gods did not choose me as a healer. They chose Ruske and I tried to learn everything I could from him. I did eventually become leader with my closest friend, Roanne. We worked together until he let his infatuation with a mare who sought to destroy everything we had worked for rip us apart. No matter how I tried to show him he refused to see and so I ended up losing my best friend. At that point he was one of my only friends. When I was stolen from my home Ruske rescued me... countless times." A ghost of a smile flickered across her face as she thought of the gruff stallion. He had been the only constant in her life for a long time. He was the only one that came back after he disappeared.

"I fell for the stallion that stole me... Validino was his name. Eventually Isilme was ripped apart by war and Validino and I were separated but we were reunited here in Helovia. Together we had a set of twins, Cyrus and Aylin. Then another set of twins, Aswane and Malina. I lost one of my good friends because one of my children was unicorn. Malina was very weak and so we left Helovia. My other twins wanted to stay and I allowed them." She shouldn't have. She should have made them come with her, but she hadn't and it was her fault that she had lost touch with them completely. "Validino left me." Her voice fell flat and tears once again gathered in her eyes. "I woke up and he was gone and he had taken my daughter with him and I was all alone again. So I came back here to try and start over again..."

Evangeline cleared her throat and frowned again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to talk for so long." But he would understand, wouldn't he? 'No.' Tallis interjected, his head tilting as he gazed at his bonded from the king's back. "Everyone in my life has a history of leaving me behind." She clarified. "I've let myself love too many and every time they leave they rip my heart out and I'm tired of being hurt. Its easier for me to keep my distance. I can't... " She couldn't love him. She couldn't love Kahlua. She couldn't love anyone other than Tallis. She wanted to love them all, she wanted to call them her family and believe that none of them would ever hurt her the way she had been hurt before but history always seemed to repeat itself.

Her ears tilted forward at his next words and she sighed quietly. "Maybe there is someone out there for you. You just haven't met them yet." It was hard to be positive after dredging up bitter memories that were better left forgotten, but she had wanted him to know it wasn't him she was rejecting. It was the notion that she would end up hurt again. "You deserve to be happy, too, Kaj."

ooc://
uhm ... yeah ... don't feel like you have to match that because it'll probably never happen again xD

"."

@[Kaj]

Regret laces her delicate features, but Kaj does not pressure her, careful to contain himself the second time around. Soprano vocals caress pale pricked ears, and strong shoulders relaxed slightly in a partial slump, realizing he had been a little too stony and defensive in his own half-accusation. Sheepishly he nodded, a look of shame coloring chiseled features. "I apologize for my thoughtless accusation, Kahlua's beliefs have left me high strung," he murmured, sincerity like glaciers in pale azure irises, firm and unmoving; finally lifting them to her eyes, staring at him as if awaiting the moment he would find her gaze once more. Shame washed over his consciousness; Evangeline may have her own bias, but she was undeserving of such frigidity, no matter if she was tentative to call him friend. Strong and pure of heart though she was, upholding her title with pride and grace, she was still in possession of a heart. One Kaj was not keen on wounding. Tallis moved, drawing his eye only to smile as claws pricked his skin and weight settled upon his back, turning head to nicker softly at him, gratitude glowing in blue eyes at the gesture, the company he offered.

"It would be easy, to fall in love with her. She is beautiful and kind, sweet and innocent. Her eyes see nothing but purity, no matter how it may wound her. It is I, who is the problem...why is it that I hesitate? Why is it that I am not entirely enamored? It would not be forcing...merely fixing whatever is wrong with me." Disappointment is heavy in his words, coating them like molasses, bitter and thick. In himself, of course. Any stallion would be eager to have Kahlua as their mate, so why was he so different? He was desperate to fix whatever it was causing him to be so tentative, for surely it was by some fault of his own.

Whispered words brought him from his thoughts, concern automatic. Evangeline was strong, so sure of herself. Why the diminutive tone of speech? Kaj shook his mighty head, sweeping away her apology firmly. "It is your comfort that is of importance, Evangeline." Such assurances were quieted as she continued, and much as he did with Kahlua he nodded along to encourage her, light blue irises intrigued and face set in patient lines. Evangeline was a mystery to him, one Kaj desperately desired to unravel. She seemed so intricate, so varied, with a thousand layers unseen and unknown to all. Kaj was dying to get her to crack her shell, to show her that he wished more of their acquaintanceship, more than a relationship built on roles. Most of his flock were aware of that, but Evangeline was consistently stubborn; not that it helped her, since Kaj was only encouraged by the challenge she posed.

As she spoke, his gaze softened with sympathy- never pity, she was too powerful a soul to be pitied- as the horrors and tragedies of her heart were unraveled and painted in lurid shades across his mind's eye. Unknown names were of no importance, as she detailed each abandonment, each hole left in an already tattered life. Anger simmered in a golden frame at the foul, selfish things the monsters had done to the pure hearted lass, desiring only to rip blunt teeth through each dirtied skin and make a point to them; nobody touched his flock, past or present, and such grievances would not be overlooked should any dare to waltz across his path. Evangeline did not deserve such treatment, no matter what place on the timeline she occupied. Her secluded thoughts and hesitation became clear, understanding dawning on him sharply, a knife to the shoulder. Silent determination settled like a shawl around strong aureate shoulders; Kaj would prove that he was unmovable, a permanent fixture in her life, even if she deigned to send him from her side. If there was one trait Kaj embodied, it was loyalty, one which she had taken upon her mantle unwittingly, signing herself onto a list of names to be kept close to the King's heart and forever under watchful eye. It may take seasons to prove to her that he did not intent to leave, but the Ming was a patient man, and her belief in love of any shade and intensity was in dire need of restoration.

Apologies rang from her lips and this time the shake of his head was firm, refusing to allow the words to sink into his flesh. "No, Eva." Hesitate. Wonder if calling her such was acceptable. Continue on. "It is an honor, to have you share your past with me. I would listen to you talk all evening if it would bring you a modicum of peace." Handsome face smiled warmly down at her in his honest declaration, hoping she did not regret telling him such intimate things. No matter if she did or not, Kaj appreciated the trust it must have taken to tell him, to open up in any degree. Her choked voice spurred him into speech, protective instincts beginning to weave around her, deigning her in need of him in his mind.

"You did not deserve to be spit upon and trampled in such a manner. The heart is precious, and trust is a thing to be cherished. All those who hurt you deserve to be strung upon a wire for the vultures to gut," he snarled, face convoluting into a ghost of the pit of rage in his stomach, a mere glimpse into the expanse of disgust and hatred boiling inside him. Composing himself despite the grit of his teeth and bulge of his jaw, Kaj cleared his throat before speaking once more, just to be sure. "I cannot make you believe me, when I say I will never abandon nor forsake you. But it is the truth. You will never be alone in this world, for I will always be at your side the moment you are in need. Should you ever need a friend to cry upon, to share your grief and joy in equal measure, I will be there. Even if you send me away, I will return the moment you call for me again. Evangeline, you are my sister, my friend, my blood and soul. Helovians do not have the grasp of loyalty that I was raised upon, but I will show you, no matter how many seasons it may take. I will always be here for you. Always." Azure fire burned in his eyes, voice rumbling as if he were conjuring one of his storms, exhaustion seemingly forgotten with the mass and positioning of his looming frame. It was more an oath, a binding spell akin to witchcraft, than a promise. Kaj was no simpleton, and such honors would not be disregarded with a flimsy promise of companionship.

The spell broken, Kaj smiled weakly as she pressed on him that he was deserving of happiness too. "Kahlua deserves love. Mares are of the real importance, meant to be cherished. If I can mend her heart...why instead break it in favor of my own happiness?" Voice fell soft, smiling like an innocent man at the noose preparing to die for his guilty bride.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

As she spoke she avoided Kaj's gaze, anticipating that when she looked at him there would be pity painted across his face. She did not want his pity, she only wanted him to understand why she kept her distance. Why she had to keep her distance. He and Kahlua could call her 'friend' if they wanted but she could not return the sentiment because returning it would mean setting herself up to be hurt once more. She would call them 'King' and 'Queen' and she would serve them as their advisor to the best of her abilities, btu she could not be a friend. She could feel Tallis' strong disapproval of her choice as he laid upon the king's back and stared at her.

The orange mare looked up when Kaj told her 'No' when she'd apologized a second time. She didn't believe that it was really an honor for him to hear of the soap opera that had been her life, but she appreciated the sentiment. As he spoke again she shook her head. "Violence is never truly appropriate." She spoke softly, addressing his outburst of hanging those that had hurt her out for the vultures. "Even though I've been hurt I hold no ill will toward any of them. I do wish to forget them at times, but I never wish them any harm and I would hope that if they were to arrive you would not harm them." For as many times as she'd been hurt she still loved the ones that she had let into her life even if she didn't want to anymore.

Guilt weighed heavily on her as Kaj continued to speak, calling her his sister, friend, blood and soul. She wished that she could say the same and perhaps in time she would be able to if she were able to shake off the notion that being alone was safe. "I appreciate that, Kaj. Really, I do." She let a small smile curve the corners of her mouth upward. She could not say that she didn't trust his words, the stallion had never done anything to prove himself untrustworthy. Maybe it was herself that she didn't trust because he was a stallion that she could love, one that she could fall in love with if she allowed herself to. She'd only be setting herself up for disaster, for another broken heart and she'd be breaking Kahlua's heart as well. It was yet another reason for her to keep her distance and keep whatever relationship they had purely professional.

Their conversation shifted, once more, to Kahlua and Evangeline was thankful to be drawn away from her thoughts. She did not want to open the doors to the idea of love and of seeing Kaj in another light. "Sallions are just as important as mares." Evangeline said, still unable to understand Kaj's reasoning. "Your happiness is just as important as Kahlua's." She felt that she would never be able to drive that point home. She might as well be talking to the broken down glass wall that surrounded the Edge. She didn't think that he would be doubting himself so much if he were truly in love with the Queen. The honest part of herself wanted to tell him as much, but the bleeding heart romantic inside of her wanted Kahlua to have a chance at love with Kaj.

"I think you need to take some time and think about it." She said instead because she did not want to intentionally sway his decision. She wanted him to think for himself and come to a decision of his own accord. "Think about the doubts that you have are really doubts or if its fear... whatever those fears might be. I can tell you this much from my own personal experience. When I fell in love with Validino I had no doubts that I was in love."

"."

@[Kaj]

Elusive gaze was persistently awaited, and in time as his turn for speech came it fluttered up to meet his, emotional in the subdued manner Evangeline always tended to apply to herself. She denied his desires, evaded his wishes for harm upon those who injured her, but Kaj was not one for peace. He firmly believed that revenge was validated in many cases, and his loyalty was too strong to allow such harm to go unpunished even if only in the sanctity of his mind. "Those who hurt my family do not deserve such niceties," his voice rumbled, unmovable on the subject. "You may hold your own reservations, and a desire to see them safe, but that is also the goodness of your heart and reason more for them to suffer." Lips curled distastefully at the idea of such disgusting specimen existing in the world, harming those like Evangeline who were actually kind and pure of heart.

Reservations still existed on her part, if her words were anything to go by. Kaj couldn't deny her, however, and her personal level of comfort was more important to Kaj than his own desire to see her trusting in him more. It was enough to see her lips curl in a smile, see the tears subside back to the caverns of her eyes, gratitude more than enough a reward for the time being. So instead he smiled at her, pouring all the warmth he held for her into his expression, trying to convey how happy he was that she had opened up for him as he'd always wanted. "It is all I can offer, Evangeline. But you are precious to me, and I will do my best to convince you of that, and assure you that I do not intend to abandon you." No matter the gravity of the situation, his smile was ever present, attempting to wrap around her like a blanket and draw her close, the only way he could dream of touching her when she rejected his physical attempts at comfort.

Despite that, it faded as their conversation swayed to more hurtful topics, ones that confused and befuddled the poor stallion. Sighing with a bitter smile as he gazed down at Evangeline. "It is hard to believe that, raised as I was. But I will try to believe you," he assured, not knowing if he had the strength to turn his back on an ancient law he'd believed from birth to adulthood. If he had left sooner, as a youth, perhaps he could have converted with ease to the belief that he was just as worthy of happiness as Kahlua.

Blind to Evangeline's inner thoughts, he nodded alongside her wise suggestions, finding he was reluctant to continue on the path of conversation they were treading concerning Kahlua. Instead, he shifted tired shoulders and lifted wing to gesture to the well worn trails leading to and from the springs. "My mind is already weary of attempting to understand. Would you perhaps walk with me instead? I take up too much of your time as merely my advisor, it's time I proved to you I can be a friend as well if I am to make true by my word." Smile is encouraging, hoping she would accompany him despite the reluctance she already had both due to his wounds and her fear of creating and maintaining relationships.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

He still seemed angry over the hurt that she had endured and her suspicion was confirmed when he spoke. Her eyes closed and she shook her head, sighing quietly as she did so. "Anger is little more than a poison, Kaj." She murmured. "It poisons you slowly from the inside out and that poison seeps into others in the form of physical, mental, or verbal violence. Then it becomes an endless, vicious cycle of hurt and revenge that will eventually leave you wondering if it was worth it." She wondered if it would even matter to him or if his own moral code would not allow him to just forget. "That violence eventually spills back over to your family and in the end it was you who caused their pain." She had seen it and had observed it. "You've heard the term forgive and forget, haven't you?" The mare questioned. "Forgive those who have hurt you and forget their transgressions... I only believe in half of it. Forgiveness may not be easy, but I forgive those who have hurt me but I will never forget what they have done. I won't allow myself to be victim to them again." Whether or not she would fall victim to anyone else was another chapter in the book of her life.

"It is all I can offer, Evangeline. But you are precious to me, and I will do my best to convince you of that, and assure you that I do not intend to abandon you."

She had heard that promise to not be abandoned before. "We'll see." was on the tip of her tongue but she held the words back so she would not offend Kaj. Like everyone else she would have to take his words at face value and if he proved to be a friend that stuck, like Ruske, then she would consider herself quite lucky.

Evangeline was quite pleased with the sudden change of topic on Kaj's part. She had grown weary of speaking of her past, forgiveness, hurt, love, and everything in between. So when he invited her to walk with him she nodded her agreement and stepped forward, wondering at what he had in mind to prove that he wanted her to be a friend and not only an adviser. "I really don't mind." She admitted as they walked. "I don't mind giving advice from my own prior experiences. Of course its only up to the individual to take my advice." She cast a sidelong glance at Kaj and grinned. "Stallions often prove to be the most stubborn and foolhardy."

"."

@[Kaj]

Evangeline's wisdom was intangible, yet it struck decisive blows in every argument foolish war-heads like him could ever construct. Even so, Kaj was not easy to force into forgiveness. Transgressions against himself were generally overlooked, but those dealt towards his family did not deserve even a modicum of leeway. To know Evangeline was strong enough to open her heart time and again was both inspiring and caused a crippling ache in the king's chest. An overwhelming desire to hold her close, shield her bodily from all the harm she'd suffered, crashed over him like a tidal wave, threatening to drown him. She was so easy to love, to wish better for, and Kaj was not exempt from her sway. The fact that she'd overcome it all, and was there before him with all the patience in the world to teach him to forgive, was testament to how much she deserved the better things in life. Kaj wanted only to give them to her, show her the beauty where it had been hidden behind the savagery of her past. It shredded his emotions, frayed his logic, to know that such a deserving, pure-hearted soul could have lost so much time and enjoyment because of others. And for that, Kaj could never forgive them.

"The words in my head...I cannot translate them to you, in their magnitude. I wish I could, to help you understand why I cannot forgive such horrors. Probeer te begrijpen." Helplessly he sought her understanding, for her to yield just enough for their conversation to sway away from such topics. If Evangeline continued to swear by those who had hurt her, Kaj feared he would be unable to restrain himself, would have to carry her close to his chest just to feel her warmth and know she was alive and well despite all they'd done to keep that from being so. The only distraction he had was his own invitation, and relief nearly crippled the mighty beast when the delicate doe moved forth to accompany his own lengthy strides. Kaj had no idea where to lead her, which paths to traverse, but he was content to avoid those well-traveled by the other members. He desired only this moment, suspended in time, where he and Evangeline could not be interrupted by one or the other's duties.

"Your passion and willingness are included among your strengths, mijn leliemeisje." A comfortable compliment, one to hopefully bolster the pair away from the dark protectiveness of their previous topic. Though that was mostly on Kaj's behalf. Her grin was a rare gift, and Kaj could not help but chuckle and fondly regard her rather blatantly, eyes a warm expanse of pale summer skies. "It is true, we are rather ornery. Where ever would we be without you to guide me from the sidelines?" His chuckle was deep and homely, but his expression was boyish and almost shy, clearly sheepish over his tendency to be so bull-headed. "Tell me, mijn leliemeisje, what do you like to do when you are...blue?" His words fumbled at the end, brows crumpling in distaste at his own hesitation. "What makes you happy?" Perhaps he could indulge her?

---

Translations:
Probeer te begrijpen :: Please try to understand
Mijn leliemeisje :: My Lily Girl (or my little lily girl, term of endearment)

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

"The words in my head...I cannot translate them to you, in their magnitude. I wish I could, to help you understand why I cannot forgive such horrors. Probeer te begrijpen."

"Likewise, I wish I could help you understand why i chose to forgive them." Evangeline murmured. "I cannot lie and say that I've never done anything that might have hurt someone. No one is perfect and I won't pretend to be. I've made my fair share of mistakes and I only hope that the ones I wronged will be as forgiving of me as I am of them." Life was far too short to dwell on the injustices of the world. It was much easier to forgive than to go on carrying a grudge that could possibly be passed on to younger generations. "If I hurt you would you forgive me?" She voice the question even as realization dawned on her that he wanted to leave their current conversation behind along with all of its unpleasantness. And so she decided that she would try her best not to press on after Kaj answered her question, if he even chose to.

"Your passion and willingness are included among your strengths, mijn leliemeisje."

A shiver rippled down her spine as he spoke in his native language and the orange mare found her gaze locked on his face. His compliment was lost on her as she focused on the words he had spoken after. "Mijn leliemeisje." She hoped she hadn't butchered the words too badly as she stumbled over them. "What does that mean?" 'Great powerful lizard.' Tallis piped up rather suddenly causing Evangeline to roll her eyes and glance at him. "He was talking to me, not you Tallis." The orange dragon trilled loudly as his bonded looked back to her King, ears tilting forward as he voiced another question.

"Probably marching to war." Eva answered half teasing and half serious. For as gentle as he could be he still had the heart and soul of a warriorm which was not a bad thing. He was selfless. His people were his utmost priority and she felt that if anyone wronged them he would go out of his way to seek justice. She feared that his sense of duty and justice along with his inability to forgive would be his and his herd's downfall.

"Tell me, mijn leliemeisje, what do you like to do when you are...blue? What makes you happy?"

Kaj's question was unexpected and caught Evangeline off guard. It had been a long time since she'd done anything that made her happy. When was the last time she'd even been happy? 'Uske.' Tallis answered and Eva had to agree. The day she had found Ruske had been the most recent day she'd been happy. "When I lived in Isilme I used to pick apples for the Tome Guardian ... a grumpy old geezer that lived in a castle. He never left it so I brought him apples and that made me happy." It was probably really silly that something like that could make her happy, but it did. She even found at times that she missed the grumpy old geezer, and it wasn't because he had the ability to grant magic to mortals, she'd never even gone to him seeking magic. She'd liked him as an individual, felt sympathy that he had been used so often by others for their own gain. Some mental prodding, courtesy of Tallis, drew Eva out of her thoughts and she smiled. "And Tallis. Tallis makes me happy. What makes you happy?"

"."

Evangeline was clever and quick-witted, showing him a hypothetical scenario that she clearly saw as counter to his own argument. He turned to look her in the eyes, face falling to seriousness. "You do not understand, Evangeline. I would forgive you for every transgression, for every wound you could give me in any mannerism. But you are beloved to me, Evangeline. Those who harmed you? They are not. Such forgiveness cannot be extended to them, not only because they have no ties to my heart, but because they laid harm to someone who does." Such blatant confessions did not bother the foreign king, to speak so plainly of love and dedication. Helovians were odd, always dancing around the subject of affection and loyalty. It hurt people, in the end, yet they did it endlessly. Concealing their true thoughts, out of embarrassment or pride. Kaj knew no such boundaries and reservations. Hopefully Evangeline would be understanding of such.

As they walk together, letting it fall to quiet their sorrows and quarrels, she forms her lips awkwardly around his language in imitation of his words. It is cute, and he smiled fondly down at her petite form. Like a child stumbling upon a new word too complicated for their tongue, its meaning foreign. "You speak my language in an endearing manner, mijn leliemeisje." It is an innocent, offhanded comment that precedes his explanation. Gesturing with soft nares towards the marking on her shoulder he smiles. "It is the mark of purity, the lily. The stones of power held it engraved in their faces, alongside a multitude of others. It granted health, peace of mind, fertility." Was she unaware of what her own symbol, engraved within her skin, meant? Then again, Kaj's upbringing was different, and the meanings could vary rather drastically. But he tried his best. The fleur-de-lis, the estoile, the fern branch and edelweiss. The four stones of peaceful power.

"Mijn leliemeisje. My little lily girl." Far more simplistic an answer than the one he'd given previously, but Evangeline was a lover of knowledge, and he did not feel as sheepish because of that. Her answer was teasing, and Kaj laughed a chest-deep chortle of appreciation for her wit. "Nothing more truthful has ever been spoken," he chuckled. "What is the expression? Old habits kill softly?" Brow pinched, words fumbling and tongue curling on the idiom with uncertainty. Looking instinctively to Evangeline like a lost child to its mother. It had become habit, by then, to look to her for wisdom and explanation.

He listens intently as she speaks, taking into memory what she says. Kaj hadn't expected her to inquire as to his own pleasures, but he hums in contemplation, shuffling his wings and seeking the patches of sky between the branches as he thought. "Your joys are born of selflessness, as I should have expected. I wish I could give to you what brings you joy, but I cannot return Gods of old, and Tallis is a loving fixture at your side." He's shameless as he reveals that he had been hoping to grant her whatever she wished, consumed by his own thoughts and not finding a need to restrain himself.

"My joys are...simplistic. I am no brilliant man, Evangeline. I am but a warrior. I am not nearly so interesting, so intricate." A degree of shame, of defeat, colors his voice. No, he is no brilliant ruler with gilded tongue and valiant armor upon breast. He is merely a man who cannot find his own nature in the hearts of his people, who struggles to do right by those who looked to him for guidance he constantly feared he would warp. "I enjoy flying. I enjoy...making others happy. That is all I can think of." His smile is saddened by his own pathetic answer, but he is honest to the end with the quiet femme beside him. Trusting she will not judge him too harshly for his inadequacies.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

Evangeline remained silent as she listened to Kaj and let his words sink in. She was a bit surprised to hear him say that she was beloved to him and she wondered how that had come to be. On the times when they had gotten together to speak it had nearly always been strictly King and Advisor. How was he able to so easily accept someone as precious to him? How was he so easily able to admit it? It was strange for her to hear someone so readily admit that they cared for another. That affection had been absent throughout her childhood, acquired for a short time in her adult life, then stripped away again. Part of her admired the king for being able to wear his emotions on his sleeve but another, more cynical part of her thought it to be a ploy. What was he trying to get at? What did he want from her.

The orange mare snorted softly and shook her head as if to drive those thoughts away. "I am beloved to you?" She asked, keeping her eyes fixed on the trees in front of her instead of looking up to her king. "The ones who hurt me are beloved to me, no matter what they've done. I cannot hate them." Finally she allowed herself to look at Kaj. "If you care about me as you say you do then you'll find it in your heart to forgive those that are beloved to me."

Checkmate.

"You speak my language in an endearing manner, mijn leliemeisje."

Again, he spoke the words she had questioned and, again, a shiver ran down her spine. What was it about his voice forming those words that made her react in such an odd way? Thankfully he didn't seem to notice (she thought) as he went on to motion to her marking and explain it to her. "Fertility?" It would certainly explain the two sets of twins that she'd had with Validino. "I don't remember where I got it from." She said, referring to the marking on her shoulder. "I think it was about the time I became the leader of the Mystic Woodlands with Roanne. I supposed my title 'the Pure' fits perfectly with the marking, then?"

Finally, he told her what the words meant and she smiled despite herself. "Little lily girl and the Stormcloud." She mused thoughtfully. "We make quite the pair, don't we?" Tallis chirped his agreement from his perch on the King's back, making Evangeline laugh softly. "Tallis seems to think so." She grew quiet, then, as Kaj began to speak and she found herself reaching to touch her muzzle to his neck. "I also enjoy speaking with you on matters both concerning and not concerning the Edge." She hoped that would give him a little peace of mind. All he needed to do was seek her out for conversation and she would be happy enough. "And its 'old habits die hard'." She didn't think she would ever grow tired of his butchering of ever idiom.

Her ears tilted forward as he, then, answered her question about what made him happy. "You have a pure heart, Kaj." She murmured when he admitted that making others happy made him happy. "I hope that never changes." It was one of the things that she adored most about him. "What is it like? Flying, I mean."

"."

Credits

Oblivious as ever, Kaj was unaware of Evangeline's wonderment at his forthright declarations, of her wary consideration of it. To the king, it was as natural as breathing, and so he had no need to gauge her reaction, to see the suspicion in her gaze. Instead he focused on trying not to pout like a colt not getting his way. Evangeline had successfully captured him in her web, and though Kaj still doubted he could restrain himself should he ever encounter those who had hurt her, her logic was as intricate as ever. It certainly served its purpose, at the least. Still, he snorted softly and shook his head. Even he knew when to admit defeat. It was amazing he'd held out that long at all, for he did not consider himself bright. "I cannot manage forgiveness. But if it brings you peace, I shall do my best." As reluctant as he was to speak the words, he at least managed to get them out.

Her shiver attracted a second glance, a flicker of confusion passing across rugged features, but he dismissed it as the autumn chill. "Are you cold, mijn leliemeisje? It is warm beneath my wing and against my side. Do not walk with me and freeze for my sake, I implore you." Voice is soft, as if speaking to a frightened animal. Evangeline was perhaps even more reluctant to engage in physical affection than most Helovians, even if Kaj only offered out of concern for her well-being. He didn't want to be rude, or inspire her criticism. There was certainly a lot to be found wanting in the foreign king.

Her title indeed fit well with the marking, and the king smiled gently. "I do not doubt the connection was forged perfectly." Tallis chirped his agreement, and the smile turned into a gentle belly-deep laugh. "Stormcloud? Is that my own bijnaam?" How could the word 'nickname' translate into the Helovian dialect? Kaj was at a loss, and so merely substituted the word with what he knew. "Though we are a fitting pair indeed, at odds though we at times may be," he teased, pale blues warm like spring skies as he looked down upon her with utmost fondness shining unrestricted through his irises.

Soft breaths announce her touch, and her muzzle is warm and silken against his skin. This time, he is the one to shiver, and he carefully moves to touch his lips to her cheek should she allow him to return the gesture. Her correction was gentle and patient as ever, and as they parted he smiled gratefully at her. "I fear I will never understand your sayings. But I trust you will always be there to correct me." Perhaps forthright in that moment, as well, implying she would be at his side for such an infinite amount of time. Her compliment had him flushing, a sheepish, boyish smile curling his lips. "It warms my heart to hear such praise from you," he murmured.

Flight? Oh, how could he explain it? "Flying is like...oh, your words are so inadequate. The exhilaration of racing, the peace of a quiet morning, the trust of your mate's warmth at your side. It is freedom." Ah, there was the word.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Outcast

"Are you cold, mijn leliemeisje? It is warm beneath my wing and against my side. Do not walk with me and freeze for my sake, I implore you."

Her cheeks burned with embarrassment when Kaj asked if she was cold then offered a place under his wing to keep her warm. She contemplated saying that she wasn't cold, but then began to wonder if he would think about her shivers and realize that it was because of his native language. He was not so dense as he might think himself to be. From his perch on the King's back Tallis trilled in a manner similar to laughter. 'Eva like Stormcloud.' He said. 'Tallis like Stormcloud. Stormcloud good.' "A little." Evangeline tried her best to ignore Tallis' comment as she allowed herself to drift closer to Kaj so his wing could drape over her back. Allowing him to think that she was cold would be much easier than him figuring out that her shivers were because of his native language. Tallis, however, continued to tease and soon he was singing to her 'Stormcloud and Eva walking in mist, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. First come love' "Stop." She interrupted the dragon's solo much to his dismay, not because it was untrue but because he was dangerously close to hitting the nail on the head.

Thankfully Kaj spoke before Tallis could continue his song and Evangeline nodded to his question. "Yes. Tallis gives everyone he meets their own ... bijnaam." She tested the word again, intrigued by the way it sounded and the odd way the word formed on her lips. "He calls Kahlua 'Silly Queen' and I believe he's called Aurelia 'Shimmer Butt'." There were many others that had their own names, but Evangeline could not remember them all. She lifted her head when he mentioned them being at odds at times and a smile graced her lips. "That may be." She answered. "But we learn a good deal from one another, I think. And we do not fight, we merely have discussions." Her smile grew and she glanced up at Kaj, not expecting to find him looking down at her. Eva's gaze lingered for a moment before she looked away, flushing again, though this time it was not from embarrassment. Butterflies fluttered around her stomach and her gaze fell to the ground as she walked.

It was wrong, what she was feeling. The shivers were wrong. The blushing was wrong. The butterflies were wrong. The subtle flirting was wrong. It was all so wrong and yet she didn't want to stop. She just wanted to forget that not too long ago Kaj came to her for advice about how to hand Kahlua who loved him.

'Eva deserve happy.' Tallis interrupted her train of thoughts, making her sigh softly. "I cannot do this. Kahlua loves him." The dragon snorted and rolled his eyes. 'What if Stormcloud no love Silly Queen? What if love Eva?' His question made Eva frown. "I can't." Tallis snorted again. 'Eva too stubborn for own good.' The statement was ironic, especially coming from Tallis, who was by far the most stubborn creature (aside from Ricochet) that Evangeline had ever encountered.

"It warms my heart to hear such praise from you,"

"I only speak the truth." The orange mare replied. "The Edge is lucky to have you as king." He had only the best of intentions for the herd and his drive to protect them was admirable. In a way it reminded her of Roanne and she smiled a sad smile. "You remind me very much of a dear friend. I believe the two of you would get along perfectly... maybe one day you'll meet him." She had not given up on finding Roanne one day and making peace with him. It still broke her heart that they had parted on such bad terms. "Flying sounds wonderful." She murmured as the King answered her question. "I wish I could fly."

"."
@[Kaj]

Credits