the Rift

My Return

Caenan Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen

CAENAN

"It's the heart and the soul and the body and the brain
Driving me insane
But the wind and the land and the fire and the rain
Always stay the same"- Roll With the Wind

A head poked out from behind a thick tree trunk. Green eyes were narrowed in concentration. "You shall not escape." The muttered words, although quiet, were filled with vehemence. Caenan's foe would pay dearly. No one would cross him and get away with it.

In a sudden flury of motion the yearling bounded from his tree fort with his head lowered and ears flattened. "Hah!" The young unicorn stopped short before reaching his mortal enemy. It had fallen over dramatically, not dead; but asleep? Comically flustered and confused he extended a foreleg he poked it. Was it really so unconcerned with me that it went to sleep? No. That couldn't be it! I'm a yearling now. I am tough. It fainted in fear. Caenan puffed up his chest he wasn't a foal anymore, he was on his way to stallion-hood. Rolling his emerald eyes in exasperation at the cowardly possum Caenan snatched his precious treasure back up.

Gently he handled the leather pouch. The colt did his best to forget the mare that had possessed it before him. Why should he be sad? She had abandoned him. Cast him away.

In his absence from Helovia Caenan had met Fabre, a massive blacksmith cremello mare. Whenever her shop had been robbed by a group of rowdy soldiers the mare went bitter towards the rulers that she had once served and Fabre turned to the life of a pirate.

In his mind Caenan had taught the mare all that she knew. But the truth was that she had a bitter heart that had finally found its niche. Ruthless to the core she ended up being infamous in her piratery. On the eve of his first birthday he had woke to find her gone. All she had left was a few scattered hoof-prints and a deserted bedraggled pouch. Not much unlike the colt who then claimed it as his own. They had both served their uses to the mare. She now had a larger newer pouch and also had her own colt growing inside of her.

Blinded by a discouraging mix of frustration and anger he lashed out at a tree near him. Slashing his curved horn against its bark before pounding at it with his hooves.

Tired from his lashing out Caenan layed down and began to nap at the base of the very tree in which he had attacked. With her branches creaking in the Orangemoon breeze the tree offered her lullaby to the lonely colt.

[Image: 2ryqd14.png]
Credits
[Image: caenan_pixel_by_danjahmouse-d9wbjhj.gif]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
Our time here is brief, our risk enormous. Don't waste the one or increase the other, if you please.
I traveled the threshold to clear mind, and for a few hours I’m granted blissful silence. To which I used to think upon nothing in particular, nothing of troubles and strife. These woods gave peace to walk beneath the quiet awning of a darkened canopy. The sounds of this forest, birds and various other critters were passive, scurrying away at the sound of muffled hoof prints beating in steady rhythm against forgiving soil. It was quaint, for these few moments I could simply exist.

I wasn’t a leader, I wasn’t anything more than a simple earth creature – moving about the world, following the trails of hinds. Tasting the wind, relishing the glide of brush and bramble instead of flinching from it. A dozen scents lingered in the air, beckoning my attention. But today I wasn’t interested in following them; today I was being selfish in my desires. Today. I wanted the quiet.

That was how I found him.

His gangly immature frame was almost passed as a shadow, I started when said shadow took on a shape. Had this lad bore wings I might have mistaken yon colt as my own adopted son, Cera (the younger version.) His pale coat was colored nearly the same, yet, it wasn’t Cera. One curved horn slipped from his crown. A small grin widened my lips apart, teeth shinned through as this body paused to regard yon youth, “Hail friend.” He was young, lanky; obviously still growing into those legs and the length of a body that would soon harden from years of life.

Table by Tamme
Art by Aud
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen

CAENAN

Driving me insane

"Hello," Caenan's words were followed in close pursuit by a gaping yawn. "I defeated a fierce beast earlier. That is why I needed a nap." He was thrilled to tell the stallion of his accomplishment; there was so much warmth in the smile that he had bestowed upon the colt and he wanted the pegasus to be proud of him too.

Although his greeting had a child-like eagerness to it, Caenan's following words demonstrated his gift for seeing things with a degree of wisdom that was beyond his year of age.

"You seem like you are relaxed, " the colt scratched his foreleg with his horn before he continued. "But it doesn't seem as if you are always like this." Emerald eyes looked into those of gleaming gold. "Everything around us is so boring but you seem to be as happy as a lark. Even so, where the worry has left your eyes it seems that your body," the yearling licked over his dry lips while he searched for the right word, "your body looks like it is still prepared to have the weight of the world thrust upon it."

The words he had spoken in such a short space of time contrasted against each other in an odd way, almost to the extent of clashing with one another. It was the awkward transition of growing up.

"I know what could make you feel better." Mischievously he cocked his head to the side grinning slyly. "Tell me a joke. And then I will tell you what will make all of your troubles go away."

Leaning forward eagerly Caenan was all ears. There was no way he wanted to miss the stallion's response. You could tell a lot about someone by their favorite jokes. If the colt had only learned one thing in his lifetime thus far was that one should do their best to judge the character of those you find yourself around carefully. If you didn't look below the surface one could mistake the fin of a shark for a dolphin's.

Caenan didn't expect to spend much time with this stallion of gold, why would he? But he did want to see this friendly stranger smile again. If only he could capture the warmth he had felt at the stallion's smile and stuff it into his pouch for a stormy day.

Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
Our time here is brief, our risk enormous. Don't waste the one or increase the other, if you please.
He wakes, stirring, turning with lids widening. Those surprisingly familiar eyes find me. Emerald. The same dark color as Cera, I smiled a little wider, dipping crown slightly lower so we could regard one another more evenly. It became obvious within the first few seconds of our meet and greet that this one was a talker; much like many younglings his age and not unlike the boy I’d taken beneath wing in the early years of my life. He boasts of some fierce beast, to which I simply nod, granting the sought approval through another beam and incline of crown.

Lips moved apart, but instead of forming a reply I’m halted by his continued speech. Sentences that seemed birthed from a secret knowledge granted by the gods themselves (or the boy had an advanced reading ability.) My grin held, though gaze had narrowed, obviously bemused by this strange little yearling. He seemed unsatisfied with simply applying wisdom to older ears, yar, he asked for a jest.

A jest? Yar, I knew of none that would worth any merit, “How about a riddle instead?” I countered with a mimicking boyish grin; cranium rose, turning toward heaven to consider for a moment. “I run, though I have no legs to be seen. I possess no heat, yet I do have steam. I have no voice to let words out, but from far away you can still hear me shout. What am I?”We used to riddle each other as youths, it was a way to pass the time.

Table by Tamme
Art by Aud

TierRen

CAENAN

Driving me insane

"Huh." The colt cocked his head in concentration and his unruly forelock fell to the side. To the extent of nearly being comical he stood in this position until the answer sprang to mind also sending his body back into motion. Every hair on his body wanted to spring into victory dances in celebration of the cleverness of their host. "Is it a brook? Their water runs, in the early mornings you can see the steam gathered above them, and you can find one by following the sound of its babble. "

Feeling quite cocky Caenan was confident in his answer. In all honesty he was already celebrating mentally.

"It would be a shame to leave a riddle without an equally challenging mate." Caenan casually lipped up grass while thinking of another riddle. He had a follow up joke prepared but now he was going to have to improvise. Slowly he chewed his mouthful of slightly bitter Orangemoon grass. It bought him time and made him look more cool and collected. He continued to 'chew' on air until he knew what he would say next. Better to take that approach than to speak early and look a fool.

"Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I? His grin was full of childish charm but his eyes harbored a competitive glimmer. This was a game he could take part in from sunrise to sundown. Jesting with one another was fun, but this stallion had offered even better. He had offered an opportunity for Caenan to sharpen his wit. Although young he knew that the value of doing so was just as just as, if not more, heavy than that of sharpening his horn. Not to mention that although he liked the fatherly stallion, he certainly would like to outwit him.

OOC:

To start with I am sorry for the wait, I promise that I am not normally this slow.

And Caenan would actually be two years old. For this thread I suppose I will leave him as a yearling and then in his following posts play him at his correct age. Just a heads up.

@[Midas]

Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas
Yar, I didn’t bother hiding obvious pleasure at finding a youth who actually enjoyed this. The contours of my face softened, making me appear younger than previously felt. Meanwhile, my dusty company considered for a moment before replying, after a brief passing he offered an answer toward my riddle. Though wrong, the response very nearly landed upon proper footing. I grinned wider, finding no jest in this game of banter, “Nay, tis not a brook. Though I’d say ye answered rather well. The answer is waterfall.” There was no victory or defeat in riddling, and though we did this as a game the object of our sport was actually a serious matter. You could gauge much from an individual by the way he or she riddled; it lent an eye into their secret selves.

Crown simply nodded acknowledgement as the youngling considered his puzzle and nibbled upon the soft turf below. I stood by, gaze drifting toward some distant spot in the field. Unmoving except for the stray lock of mane or tail that went up in a passing breeze. His delighted tone soon filled the air, lips moving to entice my full attention. Ears perked, listening, repeating those vocals in my mind and sorting through all the riddles I’d come to harvest during the years. After a moment of silent forethought I smiled mildly and replied softly, “Ye speaks of fire?”

“An inferno can be fed, but rain destroys its abilities rather swiftly.” This conversation brought a new light into my eyes, something that hadn’t been seen in many a season, “Would ye care for one more?”

Table by Tamme
Art by Aud

TierRen

CAENAN

Driving me insane

Slack jawed in disbelief Caenan looked up at the stallion. He had solved the riddle with barely any thought. While he himself had been wrong. Disappointment quickly mounted into pride, he had been payed a compliment. A real compliment. For something good that he had done.

With Fabre he had been in the wrong crowd. The actions that they encouraged seldom left him feeling as if he had accomplished anything. After helping them on one of their "errands" he had often wandered away the following day to do some random good deed in order to clear his slate.

A good for every bad. Caenan figured it helped to even his character out. He was neither a devil nor a saint. His actions revolved around what he saw fit. Some could see it as being a tad selfish; he saw it as enjoying life.

Breezes didn't pause to make sure the leaves were clutching tightly to the trees before frolicking past. They simply passed by on their merry way and sometimes the leaves got in the way. In return for the leaves it took the breeze would somber up and guide life giving rains to the mother tree. Caenan was no different. No one blamed the wind for its actions, so why should he be judged because of his?

"Exactly." Begrudgingly he confirmed that the answer was correct. "Yes!" The single word burst from his mouth bounding forth with reckless abandon for the collected image that the colt so badly wanted to portray. "I mean, yeah, sure. Lets do another." Oh, how the colt wanted to be like the dark mysterious stallions he had seen. But how did they remain so detached? Life was too exciting to refrain from bounding about! I am going to get this one. Forget that last one. Just a fluke.

"Hit me with your best one. Don't make it easy for me." Caenan's eagerness to move onward to the next riddle physically manifested itself as he scraped his hoof across the leaf littered ground.

Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas
He seemed just slightly crestfallen by the ease at which I’d answered his riddle, though like all youth the lad bounced back and was ready for more. His energy made my smile drag higher out of remembrance of another youngling who bore similar brightness; consciousness began shifting through the collection of puzzles I’d been taught – grin momentarily faded as consideration took the length of concentration. Company was eager and didn’t appear overly daunted by my age or abilities – after more than a few heartbeats of thought I finally selected one deemed suitable. A sly smile took control of features, though it wasn’t one of the unkind nature, “Yar, young friend, I have one for ye.”

I spoke slowly, and carefully, “Only one color, but not one size; stuck to the ground, yet easily flies. Present in sun, but not in rain; doing no harm, and feeling no pain.” This particular riddle had stumped me as a child, Da had always laughed when I scoffed after puzzling and guessing for many long moments, only to fall on the wrong answer. He’d never share the correct solution, and I’d spend many days pondering on the meaning of his silver crafted words. “What is it?” Ears perked forward, anxious to hear the reply and curious on how this creamy colt would find a solution. After he answered, be it correct or wrong I wanted to share more than just puzzling – this fellow had certainly caught my attention; also I was curious by how he deemed to make all my troubles fall away.

Table by Tamme
Art by Aud

TierRen

CAENAN

Driving me insane

His brow furrowed in intense concentration. Seconds suddenly felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours. "It is a shadow!" This time the colt was not asking, he knew it. What else could it possibly be? Green eyes danced triumphantly. While he waited for his congratulations Caenan mulled over the riddle to commit it to memory; he liked how the words flowed. The words dipped and bobbed from their speaker's lips in the same way that the waves danced from the ocean's depth.

"Now I suppose you have shown yourself to be worthy of hearing my secret to never having another worry." Caenan looked from left to right, then right to left; he even poked his head around to the other side of his tree to be sure that no one was there. Drawing himself to his tallest height he whispered to the stallion.

"You already know the answer." Leaning back he looked to gauge the stallion's reaction. "Telling a joke, or even a riddle as you did scares life's troubles away. Dunno why. Guess laughter freaks them out."The colt's grin came out to play, "Just now, you felt better than what you had before didn't you?"

The colt leaned back on his hocks and chuckled brightly; highly amused with his own cleverness.

"I am Caenan." Inquisitively he looked up to the pegasus touched by gold to hear what name he went by. Everyone has a treasure of their own to collect. Caenan's was names. A given name entangled itself into the heart and soul of its owner; once you knew an individual's name you had a part of them. If he would not have trusted this stranger he never would have offered his own name.

Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas
I waited patiently, amused and never tiring from watching his expression furrow, obviously under intense thought. The way little brows drew together, as if he was applying every ounce of concentration into this riddle – the lad brushed something within me, that paternal instinct which had led me to adopt Cera back in those early years. Ebony lips curled into a higher beam when his moment of realization crossed those creamy features, it hit dark eyes first, sparking them with a cunning light. The correct answer fell from his lips, “Yar, say true.” This boy had landed upon proper footing, crown bobbed approval – a wave of mane slipping across forehead and covering my unadorned brow.

Said boy then moved to speak again, drawing a little closer until we were nearly head to head. Childish gaze darted daringly left and right, as if assuring that we were truly alone. High tone lowered to a hush, I leaned in further, holding still as those soft vocals moved to reveal what I could only guess to be some sort of curious truth. A mock frown momentarily chased aside a pleasant smile – giving all appearance that this was a very serious matter to which we were about palaver upon.

His answer was simple and straightforward, the unicorn child pulled away, grinning all the while and awaiting a reply. To which I acknowledged with a knowing grin of my own and light laugh, “Aye, say true again, Caenan.” This little sprout was as sharp as his horn, “and ye may call me, Midas.” A rich chuckle flowed between the folds of throat and slipped past my teeth, sounding foreign to these battle worn ears but also not unpleasant.

“Tell me, what brings ye to these woods?”

Table by Tamme
Art by Aud

TierRen

CAENAN

Driving me insane

"I am coming back home. The grass isn't greener on the other side and neither is the ocean grander. The skies aren't as blue; and the breeze doesn't pause to brush against you anywhere else in the same manner that it does here." A slight pout passed over his features, "Plus others took me for granted. I am going to make myself an important figure here." Never again will I be left again. Ever. Caenan punctuated his thoughts will a stomp of a hoof. It wasn't that the colt was power hungry, he simply wanted to make a name for himself. He would earn others' respect no matter how much it cost him.

Midas. Midas. Midas. Several times he repeated the name to himself in order to commit it to memory. Even if he forgot the face he would not forget a name. Not that there was anything forgettable about the stallion touched by gold. After a week's time would Midas remember him? The thought of disappearing from another's memory made Caenan feel rather glum. If enough of an impact wasn't made on the stallion's memory then it would be the same thing as if he didn't even exist.

"Am I memorable? If we never met again after this; would you remember me?" Childlike innocence had once again enveloped him. Perhaps it was an after affect from being abandoned by Fabre and the absence of his parents that left the tender heart so sensitive to remaining in the memories of those that he met. Brash and daring yet sensitive and high-strung all at once. His personality left Caenan as a walking talking oxymoron.

Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas
Not just any traveler, he was a returning child of Helovia. For many herds it was an old tradition for younglings to leave their parents and travel yon lands outside the border of our mythical homeland – yar, the ‘stirring’ they called it. It was a chance for youth to see other lands, decide upon settling down in this or another territory. I’d even considered leaving once upon a time. A dream that had been quickly extinguished on the day my parents died and left me to inherit only their memory.

Caenan stated a desire to make a name for himself. I smiled wholeheartedly, gaze softening in secret understanding, “Tis certainly within reach.” We all wanted to shine, create a symbol of our importance upon entering the door of adulthood. Get to a point in life where our path actually felt meaningful and before we died…our spirits craved remembrance. Would we pass from this place alone?

As if reading my thoughts and touching upon the sobering expression hidden behind a cloak of good intention, he asked if I would remember. If this, our meeting meant anything. My smile never faltered, vocals spoke with rich honesty and genuine intent, “I will remember ye, Caenan.” Maybe our paths wouldn’t cross again; or perhaps they would come together sooner rather than later, “In travels, should ye ever seek shelter. Know that Hidden Falls would welcome ye as favored brother.” This young fellow had all the potential this world could muster, just as Cera did.

Table by Tamme
Art by Aud