the Rift

[DROP] Catch a falling star

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

It is midnight. The temperature feels unseasonably cold, but then again, you are in the Steppe. Why have you come at this hour? When the moon is merely a sliver high in the sky, and the blue-black of nightfall has covered everything around you? Presumably, you have come for this...

Falling from the sky, was a star cast in blue fire and electricity. It crackled as it zapped and burned the moisture in the frigid air. It hung about 30feet from the ground, casting a beautiful, but ominous light all around.

• This is a time/spark magic drop.
  • You have 72 hours to respond IC. Please keep your posts under 600 words and include a summary of your characters actions.
  • This will be a multi-stage drop. Only character's that make it to the final round may include this drop in their prior refusals.
  • Please list prior rejections in your first post, although please be reminded that only companion refusals of this type may be used (either same magic, or same magic type).
  • Because wishlists have only just re-opened, anyone may enter.

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady

SHEBA

The only reason you’re in this barren wasteland is because you’re searching for the one that trapped you in this body, and then disappeared before you could demand it back. It’s probably his idea of some sort of sick joke (after all, you saw the way he roasted Pinkie), but you’re not finding this experience funny at all. Not only are you terribly, horrifically old (read ‘ugly’), but you’re stuck with the restrictions of this ancient body as well, and that means the rheumy eyes, creaky joints, and worst of all, the creaky arthritis. Gone is the graceful trot—now you not only look like a hag, but you limp like one too. Every step is painful, but you are determined to find him. You’ll get your body back or die trying. (Actually, you won’t allow yourself to think this, but who knows? Maybe you’ll die of old age before you find him—that’s sure to be a hoot for old Fireball, wherever he is.)

Anyway, you haven’t had any luck in weeks, and you’re in a foul mood. Even the beauty of the northern lights as they dance above your head does nothing to lift your spirits. In fact, they make everything worse, as if they are taunting you with their beauty. Once upon a time, you would have danced along with them, admiring the way their light would have shone on your ivory coat, but now, their colors just seem garish and overly showy. Besides, they’re giving you a headache. In a decidedly unladylike manner, you curse under your breath in the old tongue at the ethereal ribbons of light, willing the day to dawn so that you can be rid of them.

As soon as the words leave your mouth, a deafening crack resounds in the sky, and your wizened head jerks up, startled. A plume of blue light is falling towards the earth—could it be…? There is a hum in the air, the same hum you felt in the presence of the flaming stranger. It is him. And with fierce vigor, you set off towards the blue star as fast as your aching legs will carry you. It is time to rid yourself of this burden.

Summary: Seeing the light and believing that it signals the return of the sun god, Sheba runs towards it as fast as she can.
OOC: Desires [Magic: Shock | Can create a force field at will to prevent others from approaching and physically attacking her | Restrictions: effects only extend to a radius of 10 ft, requires concentration to maintain and is physically taxing]
Wishlist: http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=12849
No prior refusals.

image by shady
Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
It was the first time she’d ventured into the far north since that fateful incarceration in the Basin. The landscape was pristine. Fresh powder snow lay thickly across the ground, and the air was utterly frigid, breath rolling from burning nostrils in spiralling vaporous plumes; those which also rose about her thin, dapple grey coat as she passed through, shivering. Ordinarily she would not have dared step upon this terrain, part of her was fearful, a loathing deeply-rooted, though the memory was beginning to fade. Her eyes were set upon the horizon however, enthralled, a childish mind led astray by the phenomenal blue, fire-ball star which had plunged from the deep night sky.

As she stepped across the flat, she became aware of the presence of another mare, a Unicorn, pale and finely built. Africa’s throat rumbled nervously, all too aware of the territory she skirted, and smiled with considerable reserve as she moved to give the stranger a noticeably wide berth- the region was vast, there was room to spare. Creamy eyes left the spiralling horn of the other at last, dancing from the sharp tip towards the sky once more; the sliver of silvery moon, and the beautiful star which was nearing (presumably) the end of its life. Like the horned mare nearby, Africa stood beneath, motionless; chin lifted far into the bitterly cold air, gaze trained to the glowing spectacle.

Her mood was sombre, and she felt personally as though the star’s glittering, burning halo held some foreboding message- though what, she really could not decide.

Words: 259
Summary: Africa sees the star fall from the northern sky and follows it until she is standing knee deep in the snow of the Steppe, gazing wonderingly at it.

(Wishlist)
15-02-14 :: [Magic: Time x Light (U) | Can look through another’s eyes and into their mind to view and alter memories from the course of their life, and influence current feelings as a result.]
:: [Restrictions: Visions grow a little blurry when she looks beyond a couple of years. Reading minds and rewriting memories requires player permission out of battle. Limited to only two uses in battle; can influence her opponent’s memory so they temporarily lose concept entirely of their location, battle plans, etc]

salsolastock | uplifting-stock | two-ladies-stocks
foxyfirewings & larfsalot @deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Biru Posts: 33
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3 Hands :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Annabelle :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Adoptable
Biru
Just as quickly as the duo had made it to the magical island, they left. Biru was in a depressed mood, having felt so confident in the ring race before quickly falling out of it. All because of a single misstep. Annabelle felt just as bad, feeling her lack of motivation caused them to fail.

So, the embarrassed wandered back down to the normal Helovian earth, to look about in the snowy regions. The cold provided sort of a buffer against the pain, numbing even his failures. Poor Anna was up to her chest in snow, before Biru finally stopped to allow her to jump upon his back. Of course, it looked incredibly awkward and was uncomfortable for both. Anna had her legs spread as she gripped his barrel like a baby monkey would to its mother. However, she was glad to be out of the freezing snow. Instead, Biru would carry a not featherweight fawn, and trudge through about shoulder deep snow. It was quite uncomfortable. Why had they come here? Apparently for no reason at all.

But, Anna suddenly was bleating wildly, flashing images of a glowing star not far off. As the slowly moved along, they came to a stop, among a small other group. One looked at it in awe, and he too, stared. Anna clambered down from his back, landing chest deep in the snow with a loud thud. What was this here for, and what would it have in store for them? For right now though, they had no intention of touching the burning ball of fiery star.

[ooc:// Biru brought Anna along and is standing near it, looking at it wondering what its there for.

Dark x Shock || Can electrify the shadows of others. Causing burns or paralysis (admins, if won, can let me know on any restrictions).

Still figuring out the wish list situation but this was going on it. <3]

Smoke & Mirrors
Image Credit

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit
The earth turned, and the seasons went with it. As the Sun set on another day of wandering decidedly north of the realm, my eyes rose to the heavens above. The Moon's garden twinkled down at me, and as I flew in the night sky, I felt the stars glitter upon my own hide - I flew, almost perfectly invisible. I was a dark creature to begin with, but even a shadow can be seen against the night sky if one's eyes are sharp enough - I still had my dark points, but the glittering cascade of stars upon me gave off the illusion that I was some ethereal being, perhaps a wayward spirit, or simply a figment of an onlookers imagination.

But what I saw then was not my imagination, though I could surely be forgiven for thinking it was. A blue flame dove out of the skies, and in its cosmic flame, I thought I saw you, my beloved, my other half - my better half. Sitka, was that you, falling from the heavens with your back ablaze? Was that you, returning to me, to fill the gaping hole that burned within me of every moment of every day and night?

I flew, pushing hard with my powerful wings, and harder still with the magic that would fill them with gusts of wind. I was desperate, filled with hope and desire to see you again, to feel your fur, your breath, warm and comforting by my muzzle. To have your nails scrape along my withers as you scrambled to hold onto my slippery back, your disgruntled voice echoing in my mind as I performed yet another reckless act without your approval.

But it wasn’t to be - as I neared the fallen star, though I was still filled with admiration and hope, I felt empty once more, lost as I realised it was impossible for you to be here - you were never coming back. My eyes drift over the other that have gathered - though strange things were not an uncommon event in these wonderful lands, unique happenings still brought audiences. I recognised the one-winged shape of Africa, and felt the same detached happiness I had felt when I spied her upon that floating island, my glee for her having found flight since those fiends of the north had stolen it away from her. Still, I did not meet her eye as I drew up somewhat alongside her (if several metres away counted as alongside); my attention was purely upon the star that hovered before us.

Cirrus sees the star and thinks it is Sitka returned to her. Upon nearing it, she realises this is not the case, and lands somewhat nearby Africa.

wishlist
Seeking this magic:
Grandfathered:: [Magic: TimexWind (U) | Able to control the local weather, with a maximum duration of 30 minutes, and maximum intensity of a hailstorm]
previous denial

bg - table
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
    Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
    Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
    Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
    KAHLUA
    The queen wandered the land, her basket in swinging slowly in her mouth. On her head, her metal scorpion rode gallantly, clicking and whirring in the wind. Within the basket, her purple and orange feathers made a soft nest for the silver egg that rested. Beside it, her music box held its own place, though it was silent for the moment. Kahlua had not bothered to stop recently and press the button again. It didn't matter- she knew the song by heart by now. She could hear it in her head even when it wasn't heard in the air.

Why did she wander the frosty wasteland? Truth be told, she didn't even know how she had come to be here. She had been wandering, trying to think, trying to understand... She was pondering, or attempting to at least, the intricacies of love and what it meant. To others, to the person who loved... Could she love another and still be... herself? Be Kahlua? She had been faced with the question twice now in very short order. First with Kaj, then with this egg. What was inside of it? She had no idea. But was she ready for a companion? She didn't know and didn't know how to know. She didn't even know who to ask.

With a sigh, the queen lifted her eyes to the sky. There was a vast blackness up there and in that moment she felt very connected to that black emptiness. It was so easy for her to make friends, to call others sister, to protect them when they needed her to and to be there friend when they wanted it. But when it came down to it, when it came down to time for her to give her heart up entirely... that blackness was within her. A void and she didn't know how to fill it. She frowned and shook her head, until a star lit the night.

The shine was unmistakable, undeniable, and that tiny star brought a smile to her face that had been eluding her for some time. Nickering softly, she followed after it to its final resting place where it floated above the ground contentedly enough. Was this what she needed to do? Float in the blackness and trust everything would be alright? Absently, she looked around her, noticing the strange mare with the coat that mimicked the night and a couple others, but she did little more then nod to them. Instead, she settled her basket on the ground and reached down to press the button on her music box, humming along softly as she stared up at the light, hoping to find some answers here when they seemed to be nowhere else.

Summary| Starts her music box and hums along with the song while watching the light.
    Words| 453
    Wishlist| [Magic: EarthxShock | Can infuse rocks with electricity to create permanent light sources from them]
    Refusals| 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    the sunshower
    Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
    for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Rei Posts: 140
    Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
    Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
    Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Rei saw the flash of blue travel across the sky and didn't move from where she stood. At the moment the snow covered wasteland was her sanctuary. No blood thirsty monsters would stampede through this land even if they did still crash through her dreams. She hadn't seen anyone else since making her way into the Frostbreath Steppe and for one of the few times in her life the pegasus was thankful for a time period of isolation.

All that she could think of was how close she had came to death. Rei knew how close she had came to being a tale of warning told to wandering foals; "Don't go there, their mothers would say, "if you do you will be mauled by the monster of the Rotunda. Just as the pegasus mare was. Maybe the foals would turn her story into a horror tale to be told at night in order to attempt to frighten each other. Hmff, maybe I would have gotten a tale capable of robbing foals of sleep more than that of 'Bloody Mare'. That would be an accomplishment, right?

Rei scorned herself for her present state of mind. This was not who she was and it wasn't who she would become. She had become withdrawn shutting herself away from all around her. The Rei from a few weeks ago would have put no thought into if she should or shouldn't go and see the shooting star for herself. Once you lost your sense of adventure you were done for. She had lived, so she needed to continue living.

An overwhelming sense of wonder once again overtook her once she finally laid eyes upon what she had trekked through the knee deep snow drifts to see. Looking at those who had already gathered before doing so Rei took to the sky directly above them steadily beating her wings in order to hover adjacent to the fiery star.

OOC:

ShockxLight- The ability to call upon a wolf made of electricity. She doesn't have full control over him. Only she can see or hear him everyone else senses his presence as a slightly prickling sensation. Serves as her guardian and can attack others in her defense.

Limitations can be decided by administrators.

Summary: Rei is sulking in the Frostbreath Steppe, terrified of running into Ode or anything else that might eat her up. Cautiously she makes her way to the star. Once she lays her eyes upon it she is snapped back into her usual inquisitive self and flies up next to the star.
    x - x
    Magic usage is okay.
    Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
    I am also okay with being tagged.

Ciceron Posts: 315
    Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
    Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
    Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

It was not a common thing for the strange pair of unicorn and tiger to travel up into the frostbitten steppe but here they were staring up into the star filled sky. It was quite the sight to see with the whiteness of the snow reflecting the brilliant burning stars above so they seemed to burn brighter than anywhere else. Many tales had been thrown around about what they actually were but the dappled stallion had his own beliefs. His mother had told him when he was just a young colt that each star was in memory of someone who had passed on the the great beyond. It was unlikely that they actually were but he still liked to believe that to this day on the off chance that it was the truth.

Picking up his feet the stallion walked farther into the cold with Kiara bouncing around happily into each snowdrift only to tear out of it sending snow flying in all directions. There were times when snow completely concealed her coat allowing her to become lost within the vast snow filled landscape, at least she seemed to be enjoying the romp. Watching her for another moment before returning his silver gaze to the sky a burning blue light streaked across the skyline. The strange part was that this star did not disappear as most tended to do but rather seemed to hang in the air. Kiara look up. Poking her head from the snowbank to see what was going on she too gazed upon the mysterious blue star. Neither of them knew what to make of it but they sure wanted to find out. Heading forward once more the pair approached curiously only to find they were not the only ones.

A few others had already gathered round to study the ball of fire and electricity with the same wondrous expressions upon their faces. Walking around the object to get a 360 degree view of it the grey stud reached his nose up as high as possible before rising up on his hind legs and stretching to the sky as if trying to touch it. He already knew that it was impossible but perhaps if he was closer he could get a better idea what it was.

Summary: Ciceron and Kiara wander up into the Steppe and come across the burning blue ball. Trying to study it closer Ciceron rears up to get himself closer to the object with curiosity and wonder.

Ciceron wants:
    [Shock x Fire] Ability to create a violent electrical storm where he is able to channel the lightning strikes using his horn (similar to lightning rod) to send electrical bolts at opponents at his discretion.

Denial 1
    Denial 2

Ciceron talks
    Ciceron thinks
    Kiara speaks

•• TAGS: •• NOTES: ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
    [Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
    Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
    **Please Tag Me In All Posts**
    Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Rhea Posts: 110
    Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
    Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
    nickel

Floating high upon the cold updrafts without much effort gave the hybrid mare time to think about her many options. What was she to do from here now that she had discovered a place to potentially call home for now? To her disappointment she was still powerless compared to fair few that she had met along the way but how exactly could she go about claiming some of her own? Was there a special way that those who sought out such abilities were to find them? So many questions flooded her mind but lots would be without answers until she found what she was looking for. It was the waiting that was the most frustrating when she had little patience when it came to riddles.

It was a blue flash that drew her attention from the clouds as a sizzling orb seemed to fall out of the sky before her. Watching the object from a fair distance she was intrigued when the thing seemed to freeze mid air and just hover there. What was this thing anyway? A star? She had never seen anything quite like it before but something was rather mesmerizing about it. The snaps of electricity that seemed to manifest around the thing drew her in closer so she could inspect it for herself. Banking sharply she pulled her wings to her body letting herself begin to loose altitude so she might get closer.

On the ground below she could see other equine gathering around to stare up at the blue orb with wonder. Poor souls, too bad they can't get a better look at it like she could she thought with a smirk. Flapping her wings a couple times to slow her descent she dropped down until she was level with the strange object making sure to stay back out of the reach of the electrical energy. The magnificent blue reflected upon her body making her feel strangely calm in its presence. But the question still remained, what the hell was it?

Summary: Seeing the blue ball fall down from the sky Rhea comes to take a look at the orb. She hovers just out of range of the electrical energy snapping around it.

Rhea wants:
    [Shock X Dark] Ability to manifest/create electrical energy from the air around her to shock anyone within 5 feet of herself. Strong emotions such as anger also directly affect the amount of electricity she produces.

•• TAGS: •• NOTES: -- ••
    Picture Credits
    [Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
    Please Tag Rhea In All Threads
    Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.
    Icon base: Bronzehalo

Chisel Posts: N/A
    Unregistered
    :: :: ::

CHISEL

It was the cold that drew Chisel to the northern boundaries of the new realm he had stumbled into quite by accident. He had gone south and though it was enticing in an exotic, unknowable kind of way to him, he ultimately could not remain for long. He was too burly and shaggy a beast to survive forever upon the cracked ground and sweltering air that hung heavy upon him. The farther north he had dared himself to travel, to explore and take mental note of, the colder and colder the air had become. The more at home began to feel. Home. By such a word he truly meant prison, but a prison had been his home for seven long years and it had been in the wild taiga of a cyrillic wasteland, tucked away beneath mountains of snow and blizzards to conceal the evil within.

There was an odd sensation of comfort in returning to such a familiar climate despite the unwanted memories it summoned back to his present state of mind. It's not the same place, he had to remind himself from time to time. There was an unkept beauty in this vastless steppe, a hint of color (that he could only imagine) and life that his previous domain had never shone with. It had been a dull, barren place that reeked of its clandestine crimes against nature. As if in answer to this notion of thought, a bright twinkling caught Chisel's eye and caused him to jerk his head upwards. He had seen shooting stars before, in the old world, but somehow this one was much closer and more brilliant. He watched as it streaked downward across the black canvas overhead, closer and closer. With a pause, he noted where it finally clashed upon the snow with not so much as a sound.

The decision to investigate was instantaneous, and after a trudge with baited breath that took him longer than he had anticipated, he finally saw the burning embers of the star just ahead. It seemed to glimmer and flicker with an unquenched fire that had caught and refused to burn out even now, a dazzling display of glowing that even to his colorless eyes, Chisel found enchanting. He lowered his muzzle, though not too close for fear of being singed, and whuffed silently at the odd thing. Before he could touch it or further investigate, he would have to get it cooled off. Time to shovel some snow over the smoking cinders to see if it might help.

[summary:] 426 words; Chisel wonders into the steppes and catches sight of the falling star and decides to follow its trail. When he reaches it, he sniffs carefully before kicking some snow over it hoping it will help to cool it off.

[seeking:] TimexLight ability to catch glimpses of others' memories of their pasts. Restriction - has to be in physical contact, touch, of the other. No prior refusals.

Credit

Zünden Posts: 75
    Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
    Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.3 :: Four [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
    Pare
    Zünden
    Zünden had never been out at night before, but something was calling her here. She had been very careful not to wake her brother and mother as she slipped from their sides. It hadn't been hard to get away from Kiara, but it was always difficult not wake her ever watchful and curious brother, Adelric. 'If he knew were I was going he would want to come so maybe he could see whatever it is I am going to find up here.' The night was cold and brisk as she moved up the mountain side. Soon she saw a crowd of others gathering around.

She only sees one other there that she recognizes, but the storm filly does not know the silver dappled stud's name. She turns to see what has their attention and is stunned at the beautiful blue light. A massive rock that smells of danger hovers close to the ground. Unable to help herself the filly moves curiously towards it. She can taste the odd dry air around her and it causes her to chock slightly. Wondering what it was the filly had to fight an impulse to reach up towards the fire ball and touch it. The blue flames cast and eerie light on everything causing her own dark grey pelt to silver blue. She stands below it, but careful to be far enough way so if the fiery rock decides to fall she will be well out of harms away. Memorized she watches curious to see what would happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Words: 254
    OOC: Zunden watches the fireball from underneath, but a foot away incase it falls to earth completly.

Zunden wants :: [Magic: Shock x Light | can conjure lightning that takes the shape of up to four Maned Wolves that cause severe electrical burns where ever they touch]
    Wishlist
    Refusal
    "Talking" 'Thinking'
    Refusal two
    Image Credit

Random Event Posts: 1,286
    Helovian Ancient
    Stallion :: Equine :: ::

"I am a gift." The orb spoke in a childish voice, that seemed both happy and malicious at the same time. The sound seemed to bob upon the air, as if the frigid molecules could somehow support the sound. "But how shall I decide to whom I go? Shall I ask you a riddle? Shall you dance and sing for me?" (this comment seemed particularly directed towards Kahlua and her music box). "Or..." Childish laughter and the sound of running feet filled the air, as a strong breeze flitted and filtered around the assembled group.

"Why don't you decide for me?"

More laughter followed.

The orb has spoken! As a group, YOU must decide to whom it should go. You may post as many times as you like within the 60 hr time frame until the round ends.

*HINT HINT*
    The orb has not given any criteria for choosing who the best candidate should be (nor did it say that the 'best' candidate should get it, come to think of it...). I wonder if creativity here might effect the outcome?

Whit
    More arrived, as often occurred when strange things happened, despite this world being an odd and colourful already - it seemed our curiosity couldn't be contained when something a bit varied from the 'normal' amount of strangeness appeared. I did not recognise the others, not their names nor their origins - I knew only Africa, and upon reflection, I did not know her well.

Suddenly, the orb spoke. My attention jerked back towards it (I hadn't realised it had drifted), and I listened with pricked ears as it announced itself a gift. I had seen similar before - I had placed myself between it and my sister, to protect her in case it might prove harmful. My memories were unclear after that - but this orb insisted it was a gift, but it was in a manner that suggested not all gifts were ones you wanted to receive.

"Africa," I say softly, my gaze decidedly not focussing upon the mare whose name I spoke. I tried to think back on all that I knew of her. I remember her friendly smile, her welcoming tones as she brought forth new members to the Throat - I remember healing at least one of them, and inspiring her to look into the arts of healing. Absently I wondered if she ever pursued that. Then something had taken her North - was it her own foolish decision, or had she been manipulated, forced?

It didn't matter, but she had been through enough - I remember seeing the wound, fresh and bloody, left behind from the vicious creatures of the North. I remember the kindness the Edge showed in rescuing her, in healing her. I remember pledging to help heal her myself - I remember vowing to you, Sitka, that I was ready to give a wing off my own back to her should that be the price to mend her again.

But then what happened? Darkness had swallowed the lands, and I had left. Gone. This orb claimed to be a gift, and it was the least I could do to believe it, and will it to go to someone worthy.

"She is worthy." I say, I gesture enthusiastically with my tiara to her, nodding and shrugging my winged shoulders. "I will do anything for you, if you all ensure the gift goes to her." Now I pleaded not only with the orb above, but all those around me too. Who knew what I was signing up for - who knew if it would even work. But this urge, the desire to see the one-winged lass be given a gift was all-consuming now - it simply had to happen.

Cirrus suggests the orb gives itself to Africa, and pleads with those around to ask the same.

wishlist
    Seeking this magic:
    Grandfathered:: [Magic: TimexWind (U) | Able to control the local weather, with a maximum duration of 30 minutes, and maximum intensity of a hailstorm]
    previous denial

bg - table
    as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

Sheba Posts: 114
    Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
    Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
    Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady

SHEBA

It is not the thief you seek. An agitated sigh escapes you as a disembodied voice rings through the night—a voice that decidedly lacks the rumble of the stranger on the mountain. Ordinarily, the sound would be jarring, but disappointment overrides any fear. Besides, you are not alone. A crowd has gathered…and surprise, surprise, Spotty is amongst them. So she was able to escape that monstrosity after all, you think, a strange mixture of respect and resentment prickling at your skin. However had she managed that? Staring at her now, you suddenly realize that you met Rei before that day in the Rotunda…you’d come across her in the Threshold on the very day that flaming trickster decided to go body snatching—in fact, now that you think back, she had been there. She had been on that mountain. Your eyes narrow in suspicion. Coincidence? You think not.

Before you decide to confront her about this strange set of occurrences however, the voice says something that catches your attention: it is a gift. What sort of gift could a floating ball of light possibly be? you wonder greedily, suddenly alert. Not that it really matters, because you want it. You stare hungrily up at the crackling orb as the voice wheedles and teases. Its hold on you is…magnetic. With a final laugh, it poses a question:

“…why don’t you decide for me?”

The last words linger in the air above the crowd, as if a challenge has been issued, but to you the answer is simple enough. The orb should go to you of course. Yet you know that such blatant selfishness will do little to get this group to agree with you, and when dissent surely bubbles forth, you won’t exactly be able to take what you want by force. No, a semblance of fairness must be set forth, since you all like to pretend that you are civilized beasts. They don’t have to know that your proposition will play to your own strengths, do they?

But before you can speak up, a winged mare whose coat seems to shimmer with the very light of the Aurora Borealis above breaks the silence. “She is worthy,” the roan declares, gesturing to some pitiful one-winged mare a few paces away. You resist the urge to roll your eyes—what a pretense of nobility and self sacrifice! When the pegasus suggests that you all pledge support for the flight-impaired gray, you nearly laugh aloud. As if you will speak for a stranger to take what is yours!

Your tone is even though, as you phrase your reply. “Worthy though she may be, cherie, we are all worthy. Each of us is unique and deserving, I am sure. It is only fair that all should have an equal chance to partake in this gift.” You pause, and look around the circle, a wizened face peering into each of theirs. “I propose a more level playing field—one in which we may all hope for victory. I’m afraid I cannot suggest a contest of strength,” you chuckle, casting your eyes at the heavy draft, “or of speed,” you continue, gazing up at the hovering pegasus, “but how are you at games of wit…at guessing games? I judge all here to possess a fair amount of intellect and curiosity—we’re all here to investigate, are we not?”

Summary: Sheba proposes a game of wit to determine the winner of the orb, noting that all are deserving and citing the need for an equal playing field.

image by shady
    Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Whit
    There was a voice of dissent, and I turned my eyes to her sharply. She bestows upon me a moniker, a nickname, cherie, and I cannot help the snarl that appears upon my lips at the thought of this stranger, this cranky old bat of a thing thinking she had any right to talk to me with any semblance of affection or familiarity. My ears disappear beneath my tangle of tresses, immediately I feel a sense of mistrust towards this stranger, immediately I want nothing more than to see her struck down by the force hat has proclaimed itself a gift before us.

"And who do you propose sets this game of wits?" I ask, my tone sharp and cutting, my posture taut as I take several steps towards the mare. She says all things physical will never set an even playing field, but the same could surely be said for a game of wit - I'd much rather use my physical prowess against all of them here, just to take the orb and ensure it got to Africa.

"I suppose you think you are the only one able to set such a challenge?" My words are rude, I can feel you cringing wherever you are at my abrupt behaviour, Sitka. But you are not here to admonish me, to dampen my fierceness, to dull my sharpness. "But if that were to be the case," I begin again, a small smile tugging at my lips as my ears raise, my expression changing as I decide I like the conclusion I have come to. "You would need to exclude yourself from the runnings."

@[Sheba]
    Cirrus doesn't like Sheba's suggestion, but is open to it as long as Sheba excludes herself from the 'game of wit'.

wishlist
    Seeking this magic:
    previous denial

bg - table

• I enjoy being tagged.

Deceased
    The crowd came from nowhere to view the marvel that hung suspended amid a mist of weak starlight. Africa thought roughly that seven or so had come, more perhaps, and her pale, engrossed gaze drifted quietly between their shadowy, softly-lit faces unable to tell apart easily who was familiar, with those who were not – she could see vaguely the telltale spots of Rei, and the mirror-like image of the stallion who kept company with a reckless bear cub. The subtle aroma of desert, of long ago memories tempted her searching nostrils further, but alas the air was too bitter, and lungs burnt whenever she inhaled deeply, and she coughed lightly and glanced back to the spitting ball of unnerving blue.

At that moment a voice crackled through the air, wicked, sparkling, and the lowly one-winged could have sworn the sound emanated from above, from the orb still hovering. Ears twitched uncertainly, incredulous, as the message descended upon them, teasing and playful, and her skin crawled as a sudden wind picked up through the group’s middle as though it were stirred by the flurrying feet suggested. Silas, what is going on? she wondered silently through the bond shared with her companion, but the Roc was no wiser than she – he was perched upon her back, feathers bristled, chest purring uneasily.

As the eerie laughter began to subside, there seemed to be a heavy silence across the snow-laden Steppe and Africa held her breath expectantly – but for what, she was almost frightened to find out. A wave of trepidation engulfed her, fuelled by her loathing for northern Helovia, and she thought gutlessly about turning to slip through the dim, haunting glow to flee. There was however, a murmur, a call somewhere off to one side, and the idea quickly vanished as her face fell to that direction. ‘Africa...’ Both companion and Pegasus were taken by surprise.

“Cirrus?” she breathed confusedly, the note of her delicate voice perhaps too low for any other to perceive. Struggling eyes found the silhouette of the familiar mare – a sister of the Sun who had been missing for too long, and through the befuddlement stretched visibly through her expression inched a hopeful smile. There were questions forming, brewing, and they compelled tentative hooves forward through the cold, wet snow; but she stopped suddenly again to listen as the other mare gestured her way, declaring so generously something that both excited and terrified the meek grey.

Another spoke after, the Unicorn Africa had avoided moments before. She spoke of fairness, her tongue well spoken, clever and her tone smooth; of a game to test their brains and determine the worthiest of all. Although the Starry-Eyed was not opposed to the ball, the gift being given to another (though stunned by the selfless generosity of the once desert mare), she was nervous about his new proposal – she knew well that a cunning mind she had not. Eyes flicked back beneath the warm tint of fire to find Cirrus as she spoke again. Legs had inched closer, and as words faded once more, the pink-snipped nose slipped forward tenderly. “Perhaps there is an easier way?” she cooed hopefully, turning timorously towards the crowd around them.

“Why not draw feathers? I offer mine...” she suggested spreading open her only wing. The idea was bland maybe, but the fairest she could find. They could decide which length – longest or shortest should win, and then each pluck one with their eyes turned away. The black quills would be bright against the softly lit snow.

Words: 593
    Summary: Africa is noticeably touched by Cirrus’ generosity, but to appease the others suggests that they each draw blindly a feather from her wing after deciding whether longest or shortest should win.

Image | Table by Silk

Rei Posts: 140
    Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
    Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
    Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

The orb's laughter was infectious. Suddenly the weight from Rei's shoulders had lifted. All that she could focus on was the tinkling laughter that erupted from the gift in front of her.

If this was a living thing then how could it be a gift? Who sent such a thing?

"What are you, besides being a gift?" Rei remained in flight and extended her nose closer to the strange visitor they had stumbled upon.

Carefully she considered her answer. Although she would never admit it out loud the leopard pegasus desperately desired to be the receiver of the gift. Even so she wished for there to be nothing less than fairness in the decision making. For both the "gift" itself and whoever got it. In the end it needed to be the best pair possible.

"This is my first time in snow, earlier I was too consumed with moping to enjoy it. But now there is your arrival to celebrate, and friends around to share the excitement with." Tearing her gaze from the star-like being Rei smiled at those who had gathered. Mischievously she arched a brow. "How about a snowball fight? It could be a good way to get to know everyone's personalities so that you can be sure that you go to someone that you would enjoy being with. Not to mention it would be a blast for all of us!" Playfully she kicked some snow in Chisel's direction. "I told you that Helovia is full of all sorts of exciting stuff!"

"But I do like some of the other ideas that were tossed around!" She suddenly felt a bit silly, shuffling her feet in the snow she added, "I also liked Africa's idea. It seems fair." Rei grinned at Africa, she loved the tendency that they had for bumping into each other. Whenever the pair found themselves to be old they would be able to reminisce about their adventures.

OOC:

Rei asks the star what it is, besides being a gift. She suggests that they have a snowball fight because it would be a good way for everyone's personalities to shine through.

x - x
    Magic usage is okay.
    Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
    I am also okay with being tagged.

Deceased
    A snowball fight?

The one-winged mare laughed softly at the suggestion, entertained always by the playful, eccentric nature of her speckled friend. Swiftly her extended wing sank to rest snug against her flank. It seemed that Rei’s spirits were seldom dull and it was a fine quality that was more often than not contagious – especially given the grey’s impressionable personality. Africa felt a little more comfortable then. She was hardly alone, and still less vulnerable in the company of her kin from the desert. Although always the plaguing fear of the Basin Unicorns simmered through her sensitive mind, the overwhelming sense of foreboding began to settle a little. They had numbers here, and a more placid smile lifted her pale grey features.

Flames danced to the silent rhythm of her calmed heartbeat, casting a warm soothing halo around her humble form. She was watching Rei thoughtfully, considering the gift she had stowed in the safety of her little pouch; a fine tribute to the amity forged between three. Africa had yet to seek Sohalia out about it, but the thought was never far from her mind. Quiet smile lengthened as the other mare scooted her nose through the white powder, flicking it towards another in the group, and the dappled mare mentioned respectfully, “Perhaps if we were more like centaurs, a snowball fight would be fiercer.” She thought of the stories once told by her mother – little did she know that one such creature had once strolled across this very region.

Regardless, the Starry-Eyed submitted to the light-hearted proposal and dipped her nose beneath the snow. She could hardly speak badly of something not tried. It was cold though, horribly so, not at all like the warm sands of her home. After only one flick (the spray directed towards only the familiar Pegasus), Africa wished not to continue. Perhaps if the high-noon sun sat above in place of the meagre moon of that night, she might had toyed longer with the idea- as it were no such warmth touched her skin and freezing was not high on her to-do list. With numb lips she spoke again, compassionate and attentive to those who were yet to voice their opinion.

“Perhaps, if we can’t decide on one fair test, we could try three?” There was no doubting her time at the head of the Dragon’s Throat herd had influenced her ability to mediate such interactive conversations - but still, these were mainly strangers and she was balancing on tenterhooks between them.

Words: 411
    Summary: Africa flicks snow at Rei, but finds it too cold and wet – not at all like the comfortable warm sands of her home. She suggests thoughtfully that the group try three tests to determine who might be best suited as the orb’s recipient, so that none might sway the results in favour of themself.

Image | Table by Silk

Biru Posts: 33
    Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
    Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3 Hands :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
    Annabelle :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Adoptable
    Biru
    They all spoke so quickly after the star had "spoken". Annabelle herself was a little in shock, not quite sure what to do. Her large eyes looked to him, and he shrugged, listening to the group of girls speak. Of course they were not in for fighting, but all the "randomosity" of the situation was causing them to play luck games. But, what is luck to determine something, shouldn't it go to someone with a good use? Or someone who is strong? Or someone who was this and that? There were too many variables.

Some spoke, mostly offering games, of which one would have to sacrifice. It seemed that these acts were endless, and he felt pity. Biru spoke, slowly and quietly. "I myself have been given a gift, Annabelle here..."Annabelle was the gift he had been given, so he supposed it should be someone else's turn to receive a gift as great as Annabelle. Nothing could surpass her, especially in this time. Powers were wonderful, but those could be gained whenever, Annabelle, was a once in a lifetime experience. She bleated happily at the thought, bounding around him once to show her affection. "I suppose then, It is time for one of you. I shall stand this out, and be an impartial judge. I know naught of any of you, so I remain impartial, even in herd aspects, for I do not pledge loyalty to one place. However, I would suggest the idea for 3 tests, one which can be judged easily, but are all three different to show whom is the most ready." He fell quiet again, waiting to see what the group had to say. Annabelle stopped and nodded, standing a little taller in the wake of her bondeds valiance. Taking the word of one to allow another a gift was unfair, and to make one who has never been gifted to sit out was also unfair. This seemed to be the only fair solution, and he was fine with not winning. You can only win so many times before winning looses its luster, and you must loose in order to gain.

[ooc:// Biru offers to be a judge/mediator for the activities, since he has no connections to anyone.

Dark x Shock || Can electrify the shadows of others. Causing burns or paralysis (admins, if won, can let me know on any restrictions).]

Smoke & Mirrors
    Image Credit

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
    Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
    Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
    Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
    KAHLUA
    The queen was not entirely surprised, but not entirely expecting, the floating orb to speak. So many strange things had happened to her in Helovia, it had become hard to imagine a world where curiosities didn’t appear randomly. If they spoke… well, what difference did it really make anyways? Of course, as soon as the orb suggest the group decide for themselves the conversation fell into a sort of organized madness. Stopping her song, the queen finally managed to look at all the others that had gathered. Nine, besides herself. So many opinions, so many thoughts. The bizarrely colored Cirrus was the first to speak, and Kahlua immediately frowned at the idea. She had nothing against Africa, she was certain, but she was just a little too selfish and childish to let this opportunity go without a fight. And though she was certain Africa was nice enough, Kahlua was certain that she was nice enough as well, and just as deserving. Just because she didn’t have any friends in this gathering didn’t mean she didn’t deserve an opportunity.

Luckily, she did not have to voice her opinion on the matter. The ancient looking Sheba quickly shot down Cirrus’ idea, offering one that Kahlua was equally not fond of. “I’m not much of a scholar or a thinker,” she said quietly, her head drifting downwards to the snow as the gears and wheels grinded in her head. A game of wits would surely leave her lost in this endeavor, though she had yet to think of a game to offer in its stead. Thus far, Africa’s idea seemed the fairest, though the queen would be pained to see so many feathers pulled from the mare’s wing. “I like the idea of a snow fight,” she chimed softly, though Africa’s displeasure at the idea made her return to thinking and pondering. Cautiously, she stepped over her basket and its collections in case snow might start flying wildly.

“What if we all told a story,” she chimed in when Biru had done speaking. She didn’t like the idea of him setting himself out, but if he was willing she wouldn’t stop him. “Something true, something… something about ourselves. An adventure we took, a happy or sad day, anything. We could decide which we like best, after…” She looked to them all to see what they thought. “Telling a true story requires no wit, it requires no one to sacrifice themselves for the game, it requires no one to endure pain for our benefit,” she nodded to Africa at the last statement. Nodding to Rei then, she finished, “And it would let our personalities shine through.” So the silly queen sat and watched them, especially cautious of Cirrus, who had proven herself earlier to be more than capable of angry outbursts.

Words| 551
    Summary| Kahlua likes the snowball idea but suggests a story-telling contest as an alternative.

Wishlist| [Magic: EarthxShock | Can infuse rocks with electricity to create permanent light sources from them]
    Refusals| 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    the sunshower
    Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
    for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post