the Rift

[PRIVATE] Right Kind of Wrong

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

EVEN ANGELS HATE THEIR HALOS

Wishes granted, but with a price. One Lakota would pay no matter what came, if she could help it. Her fears concerning the Earth God had been rather correct, but she held no ill will when it came to the ancient, wise being. Instead, her face broke into a relieved expression, Aodaun pressing against her flank at the glee and relief swimming in her veins, inspired to celebrate with her as subtly as he could in the face of the God. Affection painted the bearded face, and Lakota smiled tentatively back, overjoyed that he was at least giving them a chance despite his own clear reservations. Lakota understood that, in him, but her stubborn will and depth of love was too strong to be overcome.

Trials were rather intimidating, especially when set forth by a God, but Lakota nodded elegantly and bowed further in gratitude at the chance to both prove herself and the love between herself and Ktulu. Prayed for the strength and sincerity that could aid her and her mate in overcoming such hurdles. "Thank you, Lord," she breathed, knowing he could peer into her heart and mind and take the gracious words without her ever speaking them, but finding it to be a matter of principle that he hear them aloud from her lips.

Straightening on nimble limbs, reaffirming the grip of blackened hooves and rounding the curve of bowed back and lowered tiara, Lakota turned to her quiet mate. Sought her eyes, attempting to share with her the same determined set to her soul to triumph. Gaze slipping back towards the embodiment of the earth, she let her stubborn determination shine in the expressive set of her face. "I will try my best, and see you in time my Lord. Thank you for giving us a chance," her words dropped to a whisper, eyes sincere in their dark violet depths.

Turning back to Ktulu, sensing the dismissal hanging in the air, the lean maiden traversed the black rock beneath to touch her lips to the bend of Ktulu's jaw, and in silence lead them away from the throne of the great Lord. Perhaps other couples would find the Grove most suited for such a task, but Lakota knew it did not hold nearly as much sentimental value when it came to her and Ktulu. No, there was only one place she could consider perfect for the tasks awaiting them. Where they had first bonded, where the Grey had found life and clambered from the mists on triumphant hooves. The Deep Forest.

It was certainly a lengthy way to travel, but considering the similar path to the Grove, Lakota could not find it in herself to complain. The silence was at times charged, both mares clearly consumed with the worries of what trials would await them, trying to envision them despite the knowledge that they could never figure it out until the Earth God deemed to reveal them. But as they crossed the threshold into the looming trees, thick and silent like an untended grave, Lakota felt peace wash away the tension clinging to her bones. Not many found such a dark and gloomy place relaxing, much less romantic, but the land meant so much more to Lakota than any others could understand. Any others aside from Ktulu and the other Grey members.

Hooves slowed, paused, halted. Lithe body curved to gaze upon her beloved, her Constrictor. "Fitting, is it not?" Though she was still more than tentative; it had been the land where their relationship began. What if it was also where it would end?

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu
Ktulu the Constrictor
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

Of course everything came with a price. Ktulu was not surprised that the Earth God demanded of them to prove their love and commitment instead of just granting them what they wanted. Was he not omniscient? Couldn't he see just how much Ktulu loved Lakota? Could he not see that she would lay down her very life if it would mean that her poisoner could go on living? No, he wanted proof that he could see with his own eyes instead of having to delve into her own mind and heart. Had they not been through enough tests trials already? "Thank you." She murmured instead of voicing her questions and risking the God reconsidering his decision and turning them down instead. She turned as she felt Lakota's lips against her jaw and followed the maiden to wherever it was she would deep appropriate for their trials to begin.

"I shall not aid in bringing a child into this world if it will not be cared for."

Yes, the God of the Earth had agreed to helping them achieve their goal of having a child together, but Ktulu could not help but feel that he was having a dig at her. Did he not think that she had cared for their son? He had stayed by her side and under her protection until the time had come for him to fulfill whatever destiny it was that his father had in store for him. She had offered Ranjiri the same protection until the filly decided that she wanted to go off on her own. The Constrictor did not think that she was a bad mother. She had not allowed unnecessary harm to befall her children while they were under her care. Even when she was not with them she still had eyes on them because of Eytan watching over them as well. It tweaked her nerves a bit to even think that the Earth God was unsatisfied with her style of parenting when he'd done little more than watch from his cloud in the sky.

All of this was sifting through the Constrictor's mind as she followed her mate into a land she knew so very well. "Very fitting." She murmured appreciatively in response to Lakota's question. This was the very forest that the Grey had come to life and she and Lakota had begun to forge a very strong friendship that had inadvertently turned to love. In many ways the forest felt more like home than the Throat, Foothills, and Edge ever had. She wanted to ask if Lakota was sure that she wanted to do this, but decided that if she asked she would only make the Poisoner doubt herself. The last thing they needed was doubt when the Earth God was watching them. They needed to show him their conviction in the face of whatever obstacles he would put in their paths.

"Ready?" She asked instead as she reached to touch her muzzle to Lakota's.

"."

@[Lakota] @[Random Event]

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The bodies of the two mares begin to shimmer and warp. Internally, they feel a sort of itching as their bodies take on a new form. Their bodies rapidly diminish in size. From Ktulu's shoulders, wings appear as her body contorts and shrinks, elongated and re-shaping itself. Her fur falls away, replaced with feathers and taunt skin. Her hooves disappear, replaced with talons. Her nose shrinks and curves into a beak.

The Constrictor has become an eagle.

Lakota's changes were just as strange. Her body shrunk faster than Ktulu's. Her blue coat began to glisten in an odd way, reflecting the gentle light filtering through the trees. Rising into the air, her legs disappeared, and her tail elongated into a rough fin shape. Air rushed from her lungs, as gills bloomed from her sides. Brightly coloured scales of blue and pure white lined a body that was rapidly re-shaping.

The Poisoner has become a fish.

Swiftly with the last bit of magic, Lakota's body was transported and plunked into the deep pool of water that lay in the centre of the Woods.

Lakota has become a fish! Ktulu has become an eagle! For the remainder of this thread, you must examine the instincts that have come with your new bodies! Once this thread is over, you shall return to normal.

Ktulu's singularly worded question couldn't have been more appropriate, though Lakota was loathe to answer it truthfully. She'd awaited this moment for seasons, and yet she feared somehow she'd be found lacking in some manner by the God that had always favored Ktulu. Whatever could be thrown at her, she'd take it in stride the best she could. Damn those who thought Ktulu didn't love her, or that Lakota could ever be an unfit mother. She would show them plainly that they couldn't be more wrong, and then kick their asses into the flames of the Heart for ever daring to doubt her and her mate. Gritting her teeth with a flare of determination, taking courage from it, she nodded tightly. They were not left waiting for long, and the pull of magic in her body caused a momentary flicker of apprehension. As she was transformed, the blue reached out in a last touch of her beloved's skin, taking strength from it as her bones were mended and frame distorted. It wasn't painful, as this was no punishment but a trial, but it felt odd and wrong wrong wrong in every possible way.

The first thing she felt was the terror of no air, the odd sensation of...were those fucking gills?! But swiftly she was plopped into the water, and though the sensation was far different from breathing in her normal form, at least there was no danger of impending death. Blinking stupidly and breathing too harshly, more out of panic than any real prolonged lack of air, Lakota realized that she'd been turned into one of the most humiliating forms. She was a fucking fish.

The gleam of the smooth red stones below her was far more prominent, but as she fearfully tried to use her new fish eyes she saw that her mate had been cruelly changed into the predator of her own form. Instinct clenched in her little fish belly and she awkwardly maneuvered her new body into the shadows, clinging to the silky tops of the stones in an attempt to conceal herself. Was it possible for a fish to frown? Because if it wasn't, Lakota was seriously going to have trouble. The instinct of her new form told her to fear her mate, to hate her even. She despised it. This was no test! This was a punishment after all. The Poisoner had only ever feared her mate once, when she was infected and wraithlike, but the scar upon her normal form's spine was proof that they had overcome it together. Forgiven what Ktulu had done.

When she returned to normal, and she would if only by sheer stubbornness and force of will, she'd let the God of the Earth know exactly how she felt about this. This was cruel, to make her fear the one she loved so deeply, to want to avoid and hate her to preserve her own life. Especially when Lakota would give her life without a second thought or moment of hesitation if it meant Ktulu could go on living. The second anger came from being, of all things, a fish. Couldn't they have at least made her a mouse?! That was prey, too! Fish were fucking awful. She'd better have the most colorful fucking scales, damn it.

Can she even talk as a fish? She certainly tries, has to attempt to talk to Ktulu, to try and find that connection she longed for already. And even then she can't help the bitterly amused words that spring first to her...ew, fish lips, Gods don't let her think about that ever again in her life. "Really? A fucking fish? Worst imagination ever," she...glubbed? Even as her stomach did awful twirls at the mere idea of forcing the attention of her the predator onto herself. She could do this. She could fight the instinct. Nobody could make her fear or hate her mate against her will. She'd die before she let that happen.

Plot with me here!

Ktulu
Ktulu the Constrictor

No sooner had they both said that they were ready for whatever task the Earth God would present them with they started to change. It did not exactly hurt like it did when he body changed into a bear, but the sensation was unpleasant at the worst. Ktulu heard what sounded like something falling into water and she turned to look, finding that Lakota was gone. She opened her mouth beak to call for her mate but instead of her name coming out she squawked. Well, that was strange. The constrictor looked down and found herself staring at bird feet then squawked again. Was this the Earth God's idea of a goddamned joke?

Ktulu attempted to speak a few more times before she was finally able to. "Lakota?" She shuffled her bird feet and turned to look behind her before remembering that she had heard something fall into water. She spread her wings and looked at them then slowly began to flap them. There was very little she knew about flying. She remembered Midas teaching Cera and Hototo to fly, but she remembered very little about the lesson.

The idea of flying was abandoned rather quickly and the mare-turned-eagle hop walked toward the pool of water in time to see a fish move into the shadows. Were it not for the pale marking across the fish's back that resembled Lakota's scar Ktulu would have thought it just another fish. "Kota?" Her beak clicked as she spoke her mate's name and she found herself desiring the taste of fish. Ktulu shook her head as if that alone would rid her of desire and instinct.

"Really? A fucking fish? Worst imagination ever,"

Ktulu could not help it, she squawk-laughed at Lakota's response to being turned into a fish. The entire situation was ridiculous and she had a sneaking suspicion that the Earth God was sitting on his ass on a cloud somewhere watching them and laughing. "Glub, glub." She teased her fishy mate.

"."

@[Lakota]

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Post-outburst, Lakota was left instead with a sick desperation that Ktulu had heard her. It calmed only when her name fell from awkwardly shaped beak...lips? Whatever it was allowed them to communicate, through water and differing species, Lakota would not question it lest it be removed for good. Her fears settled merely hearing her mate speak, and she flicked her deep sapphire...tail fin with a disgruntled splash of water. The (clearly useless) primitive side of her new fishy body screamed at her like she was a daft, suicidal idiot. Why attract the attention of the predator Ktulu had become? Her pale snowy scales were already target enough, and with nowhere to truly hide with the smooth-stoned flooring she'd been given. Lakota snapped right back at that side of her, because she had all faith that Ktulu would never hurt her. The ferocity of her beliefs could not be quelled, a fire that would consume anything and everything attempting to refute them.

Her mate's laughter, weird and disgusting as it may have been in her new form, still eased Lakota's frantic mind as it always did. Whether fishes and froggies could smile was yet to be seen, but if she was capable that'd be her current state of affairs. Flicking her long fin, trying to rely on fish-instinct-self instead of Lakota-self for the process of swimming, the Poisoner tentatively moved closer to her beloved. If she was fighting tooth and nail for every stone gained closer to Ktulu, then surely her mate must be feeling the same desires to...well...eat her.

And okay, maybe she shouldn't find her mate eating her funny, but she made a little bubble-laugh regardless. Gazing up at the eagle her mate had become, Lakota didn't know what to do. What was the purpose of this exercise? Trust? Well then it wasn't a very good one, she scoffed to herself. She trusted Ktulu beyond conceivable measure, no Godly interference could change that. But of course her mate had to go and break the moment (one-sided though it may have been, Lakota sometimes couldn't restrain her sappy nature) with a teasing comment.

Turning her fish-butt towards her mate with a dramatic swing of her tail, she slapped the water and sprayed it towards her mate's face playfully. "Shut up, at least I'm not a feather-head," she laugh-glubbed, swimming around to view her mate once more. Again, she found herself sitting still, fighting the instinct that told her to swim as fast as she could to the darkest shadows of the pond and hide herself as well as she could. But...what purpose was this supposed to hold? "So what are we supposed to do? Because I fucking hate this fish-brain telling me you're going to hurt me." She spat it out like a foul weed amid her daily grazing grass. This was a sick joke to play on Ktulu. The mare already suffered through the guilt of harming Lakota while she'd been a wraith, like hell she deserved anything worse, a reminder of a time she could not control.

Plot with me here!

Ktulu
Ktulu the Constrictor

Water sprinkled across her feathered face and dripped from her sharply curved beak. The water could quickly turn to blood if she allowed the instinct that surged within her veins to take over. Instead she stamped it down and smashed it, forcing it back into the recesses of her mind for the time being. She had already hurt Lakota once and didn't plan on doing it again so long as she could help it. She did wonder, though, would the Earth God stop her if instinct overpowered her or would he allow her to rip her mate apart?

Feather-head?

Ktulu blinked and looked down at Lakota once more. "Insults coming from someone swimming in her own waste?" Her tone was teasing, but it was an unfortunate fact. She found herself pitying her mate for being stuck in the predicament she was in. If she had been turned into a mouse she may have been better off. She'd definitely have more places to hide, but then that was probably defeating the purpose. The Earth God wanted them to struggle face to face and it made Ktulu wonder if he was enjoying it while he was sitting on his ass on his cloud.

"Sorry to disappoint." She said loudly as she looked up to the sky. "But I'm not going to eat her!" Frustration was evident in the tone of her voice as was her disappointment with the God of the Earth. She looked down again when Lakota spoke and moved her wings in a manner that resembled a shrug. "I don't know, but I'm not going to let this stupid bird brain instinct push me around." She looked up again. "You hear me?!" She screeched. "I'm not going to let you win! I'm not going to give you that satisfaction!" There were a slew of foul names that she wanted to sling toward the sky in frustration with the Earth God and his quest, but she reigned her sudden burst of frustration in with a growl. "We wait." She said moments later. "Until he gets bored."

"."

@[Lakota]

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Had Lakota known the consequences of her actions, she would not have attempted to lighten the atmosphere. She could only guess Ktulu's instincts were far worse to deal with than her own, especially as a newly-turned predator. Instead, she flicked the long angelic span of her tail fin (maybe she could get used to this, if only because the gossamer satin of the fins were so pretty) and spun away from Ktulu's form and further into the depths of the bloody-stoned water. It seemed she could not completely ignore the call that tore her further from her mate, even as she fought it with all her might. Instinct was hard to fight, and even harder to combat when faced with a situation that inspired something as basic as fight-or-flight. And with her current physical form, neither were really an option. Her little heart couldn't seem to calm, even as she internally snarled at herself to calm the fuck down. She didn't want to fear the only one that had ever made her feel loved and worth it, the one who had accepted her despite all her flaws.

Bubbles escaped her lips at Ktulu's witty quip, popping into the air with the streams of her laughter heralded on their pale canvases. It was a welcome distraction, the banter between the two that they'd had as long as she could remember. Since they'd met, they were on the same wavelength, and their witty battles had turned to flirtatiousness rather easily. "At least I don't literally preen myself," she shot back playfully, only to be taken by surprise as Ktulu whirled around and suddenly began screeching at the sky.

Instinct be damned, she wasn't going to let her mate be alone in her distress, whether it be anger or otherwise.

Flicking her fins she wiggled as close as she could to the shallows where Ktulu was pacing and scratching at the soft earth, nearly beaching herself (was that even possibly as a fish or was that just for whales and larger mammals?) to get closer to her mate. She couldn't comfort her, not in her current form, but her own reaction to Ktulu's anger was to be at her mate's side. Despite her reluctance to listen, to accept that they really had to just sit and wait it out like trapped mice, Lakota knew Ktulu was right.

"I'm sorry, Ktulu. I expected something we could actively push back against, not...this." Finishing lamely, she awkwardly swam in circles, decidedly uncomfortable and nearly...bored. What were they supposed to do? "I don't see what more we're supposed to do to prove ourselves like this," she hissed unhappily, slapping her fin against the top of the water in frustration. Why couldn't they have been awarded a quest that actually made sense? One that actively tested their limits and loyalty to their desires? Lakota simply couldn't grasp the purpose, the meaning, behind this quest. "Well I love you, feathery or not," she laughed softly, big purple eyes gazing out of the water towards the bird that was her mate.

Plot with me here!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
With a loud crack, like the sound of a rotten branch finally falling away from a tree, the Constrictor and the Poisoner return to their original forms.