the Rift

[OPEN] Path to glor -ruin

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
The new season patrols had been set, and while she was delighted that Silk had been chosen to be her partner this time, Africa felt overwhelmed by the prospect. There was a new stress wrought through delicate grey features, a nervous apprehension that stemmed from the arrival home of one far better suited to the life of leadership than she; than even the Transcendent in all truth. She had spent little time home for this reason since in recent days, instead using the jovial atmosphere of Sky Island to bandaid her worry; sparring (a feat completely uncharacteristic) and generally avoiding the faces of her herd. She was a coward perhaps, the Starry-Eyed had never denied it, and as the threat of her overturn loomed ever closer (or would it be Sohalia?), the more alienated she made herself. Rumour travelled quickly, and word that one so fine had graced the sands of the Sun once again could only mean one thing.

Africa chose not to venture back home that afternoon, it pained her terribly but she could not face the reality of it all. She had asked her bonded to return in her stead, to find the dragon-winged stallion and bring him to the Rotunda- far, far away from Gaucho.

It was cooler there then she had expected. Gnarled shadows fell thick across the trail she paced, and a light breeze brushed the sweat slick across her agitated form. Africa shivered uncontrollably, though she could not tell whether stress or the low climate was the cause. Her only wing clung tightly to her mottled grey barrel, and nervous eyes swept this way and that, harried by the rustle of leaves, or the croak of a courting frog; even the flutter of bird’s wings stirred her paranoia. Of course no one is looking for me... She scolded herself harshly, snorting, and shaking heavily beneath plumes of red desert dust. ...and even if they were, I can’t fight destiny, silly. It saddened her to think that her role might be so easily lost, and she wondered timidly if she would not be better simply standing aside; she had never felt confident leading, never thought she was well enough suited.

He might not even want his title back, she mused, gulping, because the suggestion (to her), was as ridiculous as the paranoia ruling her life. UGH... enough! The Starry-Eyed paused suddenly and eyes glanced down to find that she had worn a deep rut along the trail. Sighing deeply, she tried to push her reservations to the side. Where are you? Thoughts searched for her absent bonded, but for the moment his mind was closed.

(@[Satanic Silk], permission to powerplay Silas. Open to any of course!)
salsolastock | uplifting-stock | two-ladies-stocks
foxyfirewings & larfsalot @deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Satanic Silk Posts: 153
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 5 (Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Satanic Silk

It surprises me that Silas is so easily able to find me. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprise - Silas knows me so well, doesn't he? Always the one trying to get close to his bonded, threatening the closeness that they have together. I should hope that by now he understands that I would not try to break he and Africa apart, but I do expect him to let me into her world. After all, how can I be close to the mare I love if her bonded will not let me be near her? He calls to me, high in the sky, as if expecting me to just rise up and meet him up there. I stop in my wandering tracks and wait for him to come down; it's hard enough for me to recognize him when I'm looking up at the sun. He caws at me, annoyed at my inability to read his mind, and swoops down to land on my back. His claws dig in and he pecks at my mane.

I turn my head around to look at him, and cautiously extend my nose toward his beak. He pecks at my muzzle, but not as hard as he might have in earlier times. I snort, getting horse boogers over him, and I think we can call it even. He caws at me again, beady eyes boring into me. Where's Africa? After all, it was rare that the two would be separated. Silas caws at me again, clearly thinking me stupid for even asking. Take me to her? He blinks and takes flight, leaving with a few drops of my blood to color his claws. I spread my wings and after a few strides of canter I take off in the sky after him.

In a small amount of time, we've reached the Ancient Rotunda, and land down in the shade of the trees. Silas flies on ahead of me, returning to his equine companion. I land a little bit distant, as silent as I can, and watch my love through the trees. I'm not sure she'd appreciate me sneaking up on her, but here I am doing it anyway. Sneaking up on everyone - that's how I should be practicing as a spy. I move silently - or as silently as a two thousand pound beast can. I watch her pacing between trees, digging a path as she goes. Stress is etched into her face, vivid in the tense muscles and tight way that she walks.

After a moment - Silas is unlikely to keep my presence a secret for long - I step out through the trees and into her path, blocking her way. When Africa turns around toward me and moves my way, I speak softly, attracting her attention before she runs into me. Africa, love, what's with the pacing? I look down at her face, trying to see whatever secrets she may be hiding from me, to unlock the treasure trove that is her mind so that I may enter. There is no need for her to take on these battles on her own, if she will only bring them to the surface so I may join her in her plight.

WC: 532
Tag: @[Africa]

hungry for life
Image Credit
[Image: silkicon2_by_lainey_lou-d73bsek.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
The leafy, pretty grove was alive with the chatter of birdlife, simple, cheerful creatures celebrating the last hours of light, and their mood was a stark contrast to the sober feeling plaguing the lone mare who trekked backwards and forwards below. She listened of course, pausing occasionally to gaze upwards, to see if she could find them – to prove their authenticity, and perhaps find her own thoughts hushed for a small while. It was during one such pause that she realised how serious her world had become; how she had been so infected by the woes around her, and had forgotten to appreciate the simpler gifts there right beneath her nose.

Many nights she had spent during the first year of her Helovian life buried beneath vast forest canopies, tasting mushrooms and collecting the velvet roots of elusive ferns to dine on – delicacies that she had really, all but forgotten about. She remembered the Twix she and Silas had startled in the Threshold; it was the first time she had seen one, and the Basilisk and the pigeons, and the invigorating late summer ocean.

Africa sighed deeply, stepping forward along the same trail, but with a little less tension driving each hoof forward. Where had her youth gone? That quiet spirit that saw only a rose-coloured world, and deflected the strain of events beyond her control. When had the furrow etched so gravely through her expression? The suddenness of the thought compelled a smile to pull free grey lips of their frown, and she felt a little better again. Long charcoal ears lifted from their bed of licking flames, and shoulders rolled as she smoothed along; the warble of the birds intensifying the more she concentrated.

The flutter of wings however, and the prick of raptor talons against the skin swathing her rump drew her attention quickly though, and as she turned, she found the tattooed stallion approaching. The Starry-Eyed smiled softly, coyly, like always she did in his company, and she extended a quivering nose towards him as he spoke tenderly. Even despite her many reservations, he seemed so easily to lull her, to fill her with inexplicable giddiness. “Do you remember Gaucho the Wildfire?” She asked quietly, her voice glum and flat, “...He led Dragon’s Throat before the Darkness, with the Gallant. Well he’s home, and I don’t really know where that leaves me.” Africa knew not that her sister and fellow Sultana, Sohalia was courting the stallion – she presumed that either of their futures could have been on the brink...

She stood apart from him, front on, and rocked her weight left to rest a back hoof jadedly. The one-winged mare was spent, both emotionally and physically.

salsolastock | uplifting-stock | two-ladies-stocks
foxyfirewings & larfsalot @deviantart

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
I join them. Starry-Eyed, Satanic, and Blaze Queen-- or poison-hearted. Actually, maybe I could be The Divergent. The Divergent would be a pleasant change from the Chaotic, which also happens to be a choice for my title. But what am I saying? I'm never going to become lead. Why would anyone allow m to be lead? Africa won't even let me enter the herd. I'm crazy to even hope I'll rule besides her. She hates me. Hates everything I stand for. She hates that I've finally found someone to love. She didn't hide her disappointment when I told her Destry was my mate well. YA, we get it Africa. You don't like me. If you did like me, you'd let me join the Throat. Leaders shouldn't hold grudges. Especially not against suicidal mares that suck at fighting. I fall under that category.

"Evening. Silk, how've you been since.. you know? And Africa, has it not been long enough for me to ask to join?" My words clearly point towards something sexual or embarrassing when speaking to Silk, but then my tone becomes bitter as Africa is addressed. Since Africa did not let me join back then, I've grown accustomed to life as an outcast. AND DAMN, no rules is pretty nice! Maybe I don't want to join the Throat anymore! "It leaves you as Sultana. He has entered the herd, kick him out if you don't want him there. I'd be glad to do it! He attacked me randomly when I invited him there. Ha, how foolish am I? Approach a stallion who you used to love and expect a warm greeting! Nope, nope. I got a snakebite and burns." I quite my ranting and turn away from them, as if gesturing to them that I am leaving. Let them stop me before I go and I'll stay, otherwise I'm off to terrorize some horses with fire. Ya, I think I've given up on sanity.

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Satanic Silk Posts: 153
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 5 (Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Satanic Silk

When she notices my approach, I see the tension visibly leave her body and the motion of her steps becomes easier, simpler, more carefree. Silas lands on her body, taking up his usual roost. I extend my nose to meet hers, my eyes and body softening as hers does. No matter the troubles that plague us, having her in my life soothes me in ways that nothing else does. Still, there's no doubt that something is on her mind. And when she speaks, it's without the normal glimmer that lights the fire in my heart. Gaucho the Wildfire? I nod when she mentions him, following the story until she mentions the Gallant. Who.. who is the Gallant? Well.. Midas led the Dragon's Throat. I never met Gaucho before the darkness that came; I knew Midas as the only leader of the Throat. But, putting two and two together, I see that leaves him as Midas the Gallant. Gaucho the Wildfire and Midas the Gallant. All these titles. My title if I could pick one? Silk the Lovestruck. For that is what I am, without a doubt.

My mind turns back to what she says, as she looks at me expectantly. Like any man, sometimes I have trouble following everything a woman says - even if it isn't nearly as many words as I think. She feels.. threatened? I rub her cheek with my muzzle. "I don't know, love. But I will be by your side, no matter what." I try my best to reassure her, knowing that the words that come to mind may not be what really lifts her spirits. "Everything will work out for the best, one way or another, hm?" I hope, still, that I don't say anything wrong. It can be so difficult sometimes…

Cheering up Africa is not in the same stratosphere as the one who comes up beside us. Aurelia. I step between Aurelia and Africa, my ears pinned and my eyes alight. She addresses us both, alluding to the brief and unmemorable one-off affair when speaking to me, and asking Africa to join the Throat. Before either of us can get a word out in response, she's ranting about… I have no idea. Gaucho? Did she catch our words about him? She must have. Her solution: to kick Gaucho out. But why? He has done nothing wrong, and there's no reason that Gaucho should force out Africa, and even so, what if Africa no longer wants to be the leader? Aurelia turns from us. I stand defensively in front of Africa, nostrils flaring as I snort at the bright golden and ivory mare. I offer her no words, but wait, hoping that perhaps she will leave. Nothing good can come of her presence, not in my experience, that's for sure!

WC: 466
Tag: @[Africa]

hungry for life
Image Credit
[Image: silkicon2_by_lainey_lou-d73bsek.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.