the Rift

Blue moon, you saw me standing alone

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable

To say that Nasreen is flustered would be an understatement. As the day draws to a close and a full-bellied moon begins its ascent, tired wings deposit her copper and white body on the island in the sky. Briefly, hopefully, the mare glances around the grove of cherry trees in which she has landed, as if searching for something. But then her ears droop, and she sniffs softly—no, these aren’t the trees she is looking for. She’s been flying over Helovia all day to no avail; there is not a godswood in sight. And how on earth is she supposed to contact a goddess when there is no godswood?

Wistfully, Nasreen thinks back to her old home in Th’orqui. Oh, she’d taken the giant godswood for granted then; back when she could wander into a forest of unique trees so numerous that she could get lost for hours. Any time she wanted, she could find the tree consecrated to the deity she sought, kneel under its colorful branches, and pay her respects to the immortals, but here? She couldn’t find a single tree with the telltale colorful leaves of a godswood, let alone try to guess which one this Helovian moon goddess favored! Disappointment churns like a bitter brew in her stomach.

The girl has faith in the gods, for the moon goddess has already blessed her beyond her wildest dreams with the glass magic. Yet she cannot thank the deity, nor seek her council on behalf of the Edge until she finds her tree! Terrified that she will bring the wrath of the goddess down upon her shoulders for any perceived ingratitude at her delay, Nasreen considers extending her search into the night. But though the moon is full, the night is dark, and the creatures that lurk in the strange land below her frighten the young princess. She cannot stir from the island until the dawn breaks.

Distraught, Nasreen throws herself at the base of a simple cherry tree. With the giant moon now just before her in the sky, the blooms are silhouetted and edged in light—it’s a beautiful sight, but the mare cannot appreciate it. Oh, how she wishes that this tree was the one she sought! Fervently, she touches a duo-toned muzzle to the bark. The goddess has already extended her favor…will she take pity on your poor soul again? Out of sheer desperation and the remnants of a childlike faith, Nasreen begins to pray.

@[Official]

OOC: As Seer, Nasreen is praying to find the goddess of the moon, both to thank her for her crafting magic and to seek council about the island on behalf of the World’s Edge, as per Kahlua’s request.

"speech"

Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

The air darkens and a hush falls all around. A few cherry blossom petals trace some invisible path set out for them on a warm breeze, which has suddenly stirred. It dances and sways to some unsound rhythm, before the petals fall gently upon Nasreen's back, as if gently encouraging her to remove her face from the tree.

Standing etched in moonlight, was the Goddess herself. Lavender fur seemed almost bright white at the edges, where the moon's light illuminated her sleek form. Her mischievous and mysterious gaze fell upon the paint mare, as she rearranged her wings upon her flanks.

"Nasreen..." She began, her voice an odd mixture of amusement and disappointment.
"You are a seer of the World's Edge. You do not need to run around in the dark of night to find me, nor does that tree require your assistance to stand up." Her long tail twitched as a smirk tugged on her velvety muzzle. "You are my Seer. All you need to do is pray and I shall come. You need not find a particular stone or tree or patch of dying grass to catch my attention. I am mother of the night - all you need is darkness."

As if to emphasize her point, the world grew darker still, as if the Goddess and Nasreen were caught in some sort of bubble that rejected the light. Even so, the Goddess' coat blazed brilliantly in the darkness, as moonlight continued to filter through, seemingly affecting her, and her alone.

"But I am here now. What is it you want?"

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

At once the world seems to grow dark, and a light shiver seems to run down the maiden’s spine. Though her eyes remain closed, Nasreen tilts her head questioningly. This certainly never happened when she prayed in Th’orqui. Still, the girl is a devout one, and she continues her silent prayer. But when the shiver turns to a gentle tapping, and the very air seems to hum and vibrate with something that can only be described as magic, Nasreen can’t help but crack an eye open. Needless to say, what she sees leaves her speechless.

Before her stands a goddess—the goddess, she can only assume—resplendent in hues of shimmering purples and violets. Dusky moonlight highlights the graceful curve of a neck and the supple joints of large wings, and as her grey eyes grow wide as twin full moons and the girl gasps and stutters, she notices that the light seems to rest upon this ethereal mare like a cape would lie upon the shoulders of a queen. It drapes over her twitching leonine tail elegantly and clings to her delicately dished face, and in that moment, the princess knows that she has never seen anyone so beautiful.

“Nasreen…” the goddess speaks her name, and the painted mare bows her head and lowers her gaze respectfully. The deity’s tone is curious; in some manner Nasreen senses that she has failed her somehow, yet a hint of laugher underlies the scolding. “You are a Seer of the World’s Edge,” the deity chides, “You do not need to run around in the dark of night to find me, nor does that tree require your assistance to stand up. You are my Seer. All you need to do is pray and I shall come. You need not find a particular stone or tree or patch of dying grass to catch my attention. I am mother of the night—all you need is darkness.” A blush begins to tint ivory features, but all Nasreen can manage in response is a stunned, “Really?” Her mouth is practically gaping, which she realizes a moment later. Jaw snaps shut, and flustered, she tries to collect herself. “I—I mean, of course, your grace. My apologies…I will remember next time.” In her awestruck state, Nasreen’s Th’orquian accent becomes more apparent—a detail which she does not fail to notice, doubling her blush. How different the customs are here!

If it is even possible, however, the air around the pair is growing darker, becoming a shade of pitch that the princess has never experienced even on the blackest of nights. Only the goddess glows, and Nasreen chances another rapt glance at the lavender creature before her voice rings out again, prompting the tongue-tied oracle. “But I am here now. What is it you want?”

“O goddess,”
the maiden replies shyly, yet fervently, “I only wish two things: the first is to thank you—to thank you from the bottom of my heart—for the beautiful gifts you have given me…the glass magic? It’s…” Here, the painted mare struggles to find words, while her eyes brim with gratitude, “It’s beautiful. I am honored to have found your favor,” she manages to finish simply enough, the big words that she hasn’t used since special occasions in the Th’orquian court seeming to tumble from pink lips. “And secondly, I prayed to you because…well, because Kahlua asked me to. To seek your guidance for the Qian, that is. And also to ask about this,” Nasreen adds, sweeping a wingtip lightly across the grass, gesturing to where their island surroundings would be, were they not shrouded in shadow.

OOC: As a side note, Nasreen just got a moon amulet for her 75th post. If this could be given to her IC somehow, that would be wonderful! If not, I get it, but thought I'd at least ask c:

"speech"

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The Goddess listened, appearing amused as colour bloomed on the paint's cheeks. Her leonine tail curls and uncurls as the girl speaks, her mind cunning and calculating every word. As the glass magic was mentioned, the Goddess merely nodded in acknowledgement. So many had done nothing with the gifts that she had imparted to them, that she found herself growing weary of evening bestowing them anymore. Perhaps this one, like Kahlua, would be different. Perhaps she would do something with the magic she was granted, rather than simply talk about it.

"The Qian?" She Goddess looked slightly surprised. Without Mirage... she wasn't entirely sure why they would think of themselves as the Qian anymore. The Qian who had stood in the Invasions, who had, with her help, taken the Edge. Who was left of them? Aaron? Was that all? Her mind was blurry in these details, but her point had been made. "What questions does she seek answers to?" She inquired further.
"As for the Island.. This is a place of peace, or so my brothers say." She began, a cruel smile upon her lips. "I have my doubts though. How long can you all go crammed together, before violence breaks out? Still, we are watching to make sure things progress in the right way. This land is a gift to you. We destroyed the Veins so long ago so that some of us felt that you deserved a break from the madness that has so recently swept the lands. The darkness.. the wraiths ... your own Invasions."

Shrugging, the Goddess looked to Nasreen. "What do you think of it? Does this place please you? Do you feel safe here?"

Yep! She definitely can next post.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

The goddess may be surprised at the girl’s reference to the Qian, but Nasreen is too enraptured to notice. Nor does she catch much of the subtle warning in the goddess’ response about the island—the Th’orquian princess is too new to Helovia to understand many of the references the deity slyly makes to the Veins and Invasions; all she knows of are the wraiths and the darkness. She is not worried though, for it seems to her that it will be just as the Moon says: the gods are watching, and that is security enough for the faithful young pegasus.

“I think it’s heavenly,” she answers with a soft smile in response to the goddess’ query. “It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before! But yes, even though it’s all so new, I feel safe here. How could I not, your grace, when you are watching?” She offers a deferential dip of the head to the lavender figure, still not quite believing that she, of all souls, has the honor of conversing with the Moon herself.

Yet she has a job to do, and as much as she would like to bask in the dusky glow of the Moon’s presence all evening, a sense of duty tugs at Nasreen’s heart, reminding her that there are questions to be asked. “Kahlua…and Kaj,” she adds, as an afterthought, for she does not know her king as she does her queen, “They wanted to seek you counsel about the Basin and potential alliances. I believe they wanted to know if they were to be…trusted?” The maiden’s voice rises innocently and unintentionally into a question at the end, for this talk of politics is all foreign to her. She was never meant to rule, and the thought of deciding upon alliances is strange to her. The more friends, the better, right? But she is young and trusting, while the Moon is ancient and cunning. It will do her well to hear the deity’s response. “I know Kahlua would like to keep the peace,” she finishes, not a shadow of a doubt crossing her naïve mind that the goddess will agree.

"speech"

[/quote]

Helovian Ancient
Admin

So naive the Goddess thought with a twisted smile upon her pale lips. She liked it. Let her Seer think this place good, and kind, and safe. That is what her brothers said of it, wasn't it? Sure it was, and so it shall be. Never mind what would come next. Let them think themselves protected her. "We are indeed watching." The Goddess confirmed ambiguously, looking up into the heavens briefly, smiling to herself.

"The Basin?" The Goddess repeated, her blinding gaze shifting from the stars to the mare before her. Curiosity contorted her features, as the smile disappeared from her lips, replaced with a frown of puzzlement. "Do you not think yourselves strong enough? Have you not built a wall? Have I not given you the cover of mists and the sheer cliffs that surround you, as protection? I helped the Qian the Edge. Although there are not as many who might remember that battle and siege, surely the unicorns of the Basin should think twice before trying to take it back. Their God has done little but tear holes in time and displace their members - " Realizing that her voice had raised with frustration, and that she was going on a tangent, the Goddess paused. Her tail lashed slightly, but she regained her composure quickly. A perfect smile played upon her lips, as the twinkle of mischief returned to her eyes. "Who knows if they should be trusted, Nasreen. But I will tell you this, don't. Don't trust them - trust no one, even if you think them worthy of it. There may come a time when your trust in others fails, when your cries go unanswered, or when those you thought on your side betray you. Lingering in pity and injustice that they broke your trust will do you no good. Tell Kahlua and Kaj this: Trust no one. Do what is best, but always at a distance, even if others think you are close. Do not rely on the other herds for help. If you need strength, find it in me - not in them."

Her words were strong, inspirational, however cryptic they might seem. All would be revealed in time.

"Take this - " An amulet of her own making, infused with her blood, appeared in the air. A cold breeze gently guided it to Nasreen, slipping gently over her neck and sparkling with the light of some unseen force. "Let it be proof to your leaders that the message you carry indeed comes from me."