the Rift

[OPEN] Hey Mama

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.

CIRCE

Something told her to move away; that she must leave this place, that it wasn’t right to be present in this land. Alas, her hooves refused to move; she stood rooted to the spot as though the very earth itself bound her there, gripping her tightly, cruelly, clamping the manacle on her fetlock and stealing the breath of her lungs with the same evil strokes of disbelief; the shadowmere felt herself grow dizzy.

The months passed, confused and draining amid the cloud of some drunken night, long ago in the snow; with the poison of the apple, there rotted something intrinsic to the shadowmere’s soul, some fruit of her body and spirit that had overly ripened, falling from her tree of life, withering before it had the chance to seed. That crucial vitality of hers, that spark in her bone and marrow—it had left her, failing her as everything else had, leaving something small and broken, withered and fragile, trying to breathe through the same nose and mouth as a once mighty warrior and finding the task weighted with difficulty, for every breath wracked her chest with the pain of shattered class, an empty husk of horseflesh. To Helovia she returned; indeed, she wasn’t so sure she had left the land in the first place. Sometimes she even wondered if she had visited this place at all; if she had ever suffered the tragedy of the Grey; if she had ever experienced the magic that was Archibald’s touch, the weight of his shadow looming above her, loving, protective, comforting; the despair of her lost daughter, Callisto, a loss that still continued to ache within the innermost depths of her body; the triumph of her sons, her sons, Abraham and Reginald, and their special heartbreak of their wanderlust from her side.

Dazed and misty-eyed, with the ever-growing emptiness threatening to breach some invisible barrier somewhere in her mind, Circe wandered in ignorance; where was her General and her lover? Where have her sons wandered to, so eager to be away from her side and her strong, quivering, tender love for them? She longed to see them; their faces, their eyes, were a balm to whatever vague storm that raged within her, indefinite and inarticulate, yet still so painful. She did not know where to go, however; in her vapid desperation, Circe turned her hooves toward the first of her homes in this harsh and twisted land—and though she traveled through what seemed to be strange lands and territories, Circe continued to travel steadily, her broken spirit allowing nothing faster than a slow and awkward sort of shuffle.

It was some time before she realized that she must have arrived there by then, and it was then that some panic began to flower fully in her breast. These were not her Foothills—there weren’t even any foothills in this strange place—even the scent of the territory seemed completely different. The panic continued to fester as some idea tried to penetrate Circe’s dazed train of thought—and with a spike of horror and despair, she remembered her darling Callisto and the grave she had dug for her daughters bones, how she wanted to visit once again to assuage some of the aching, horrid uncertainty that was coursing through her veins.

My daughters bones are gone, she thought, her head swimming, her breathing shallow, her grave has been broken; she’s…she’s gone.

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Take away this disease, which you are letting me feed.</style>

Gaze narrowed slightly as yet another traveler harped into our territory, she swayed forward, gazing about the surrounding area. “Hail!” I called from above, not unkind, but also lacking my usual warmth. The onslaught of recent members had swelled our ranks – something that normally made me happy. Why wasn’t I overjoyed by yet another newcomer? Concerns that would have to be dealt with later.

Ivory and gold spread apart, yearning for the sky. I extend primary pinions to full length, slipping the feathers up and out as the breeze swamped below secondary tips. This dusty slat cliff fell away as my limbs tucked instinctively toward soft belly – they extend again moments later as the ground draws up. I alighted a fair distance away from the visitor, so not to send up or cover yon girl in an unnecessary wash of dust and grit. A calculated grin push’s forth, while feathers neatly close along spine, “Welcome friend, ye stands on the edge of Hidden Falls. How might I be of service?”

These guests and newcomers likely felt the coming of Frostfall, it was in the wind and water. Each morning the cool air greeted us with less sunlight and more bite. Winter was coming swiftly, and those caught in the outlaying lands would find life less than cushy. Predators, despite having a fair season to hunt – would still be around, their fangs and talons ready for an easy kill. Sadly, once the winter was over the many wanderers we took into our fold would end up leaving again. Returning to the wildlands.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.

CIRCE

The shadowmere is snapped quite suddenly, wrenchingly, from her reveries of despair; her ears prick forward, catching the call and the welcome of some winged creature above. Circe’s eyes rose; she caught sight of a gilded fellow aloft on great, mighty wings, the tips of which glimmered in the light of the day as he floated to earth. Once upon a time such a spectacle was liable to rise within her unpleasant thoughts and ideas; disdain for those who thrived upon the wind, shame and regret over the unfortunate feud between herself and the speckled mare of childish, heartbreaking vanity. Now, however, those steel grey eyes only looked upon the gilded stallion with a vague sense of recognition; his appearance brought to mind the heat of the desert, the burning of the sand underneath her hooves—yet she could not place where she had seen his face before…

He landed before her, and she made no move to return his grin; she merely stared at him as an unfamiliar name fell upon her ears; her lips twitched, mouthing the words Hidden Falls breathlessly. Her eyes narrowed slightly, something tragic falling within her, some crucial context lost upon her. She shook her head slightly, as though trying to dispel some devastating stupor of shock that she had fallen into.

“The Hidden Falls…” she said again, her throat raspy and sore. “But how….?” Her eyes wandered somewhat from the gentleman, lost in vague calculation, a consideration that was hopeless, for the mountains were gone and, with them, the foothills had obviously vanished—but where would a mountain go? How could a mountain be destroyed in such a short time. Had it been a short time since she had resided in the defeated hills…?

Or had she wandered the world over for a thousand years, dreaming her daughter’s cold birth, the violence of her sons against her bleeding abdomen?

Circe shook herself again, harder this time, bringing herself back into the present. “I apologize,” she said thickly, vaguely aware of her intrusion; she was unable to quite meet his eye, for her own had suddenly become dangerously moist. “I believe I’m lost in some way…but wasn’t this the location of the Windtossed Foothills?” She spoke slowly, carefully, explaining her confusion with dignity despite feeling as though there was some critical farce that she wasn’t privy to, fluttering above her head and out of reach.

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Take away this disease, which you are letting me feed.</style>

She appeared lost, or otherwise unsure about her surroundings. No smile warmed that concerned face, nay, nothing but the narrowed brow of befuddlement. I settled in, quiet now and waiting for a reply. Said mare responded, but the question lacked real meat.

I’m left wondering where exactly this lass had been during the time of sickness and grief – when our numbers had shrunk and the dead haunted our footsteps. The gods had reshaped this territory and many other lands, raising the ground from ash and birthing anew. They did this out of necessity, Helovia had been tainted and unfit for life. Unfit for anything other than a quick death.

Before I could get a single word out to explain, the woman apologized. My smile gentled into one of familiar understanding and sympathy. “Say true. This land was once called such – Earth remade it after the time of sickness had passed.” Was this one a former foothills member then? A kinman thrown into the arms of outcast, one that fled the claws of disease only to return and find everything she once knew…completely gone?

Voice softened, easing into the next statement with compassion for her bewilderment, “Ye is welcome here regardless.” I’d not keep a clanmate from their home, “My name is Midas.” The shock of losing a home was one to be regarded with care, my first reaction might have been the same had Dragon’s Throat been so cruelly altered without explanation. These mountains still bore hints of that former landscape.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]