the Rift

[OPEN] Pavo cristatus, Pavo muticus

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua had returned to her home out of a sense of duty and honor, in that she needed to make sure her home was safe and those who had chosen not to come to the island were not in need of any services she could offer. Of course, that didn’t mean that she was particularly happy there. Oh, it was nice enough, certainly, and she had been gifted with the presence of the massive owl, but she had longed to return to the island for many days now. Finally, she had been able to escape. But then, was escape the word she really should have been thinking in relation to her herd? Perhaps not, but she couldn’t help how she felt.

It was nearing sunset when the paint finally reached the island, feeling the familiar comfortable feeling of the cloud locking her hooves in place and lifting her from the ground. In her mouth was the basket she had been carrying with her continuously for the last month, her collection of feathers, metal scorpion, and the music box still settled in the bottom but the dragon egg that she had been gifted conspicuously absent. Instead, the fledgling creature rode upon her back, his feathered wings stretched out to feel the air brush against him. He was, in fact, perfectly capable of flying, but he loved being close to the Sunshower and rarely left her back unless she did something that disturbed him to flight.

As for Kahlua herself, she was still trying to come to terms with the relationship. Having a companion was like having her very own best friend, someone she could talk to whenever she wanted, someone she could be close to, cuddle with, press against, and yet… While she loved being near to him and having him around, she was still not so keen on letting him into her mind. It was a sense of closeness and entrapment that she was not yet ready to commit herself to. But the beast was patient, even as a young mind, ancient even from the day he was born, and he would wait until she was ready. He was gentle and he had a lifetime to spend with her.

Stepping off on the island, Kahlua spoke aloud to the little blue. She still refused to speak to him in her mind, not daring to reinforce the mental bond that was clearly linking them. “Where do you think she is, little one?” her blue eyes scanned the horizon. At least he would receive mental stimulation in hearing her voice- he would not be neglected, that was for certain. “Bellona!” she called out, wandering slowly in the large common area that separated all the tents. She knew not where she would find the peahen, but she felt certain it would be easy enough to see the rainbow of colors that adorned her side. “We’ll find her, little friend,” she said, determined enough to thank the bird for what she had done.

@[Bellona]
In the kingdom of glass everything is transparent,
and there is no place to hide a dark heart.
gloomwriter | tumana-stock | semperfiesty
larfsalot @ deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Bellona Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0hh :: 7 years old Buff: NOVICE
Mictla :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow Nyte
The boy is in a good mood today, pouncing on every pink blossom as it falls. His chuckles are proof of that, and his spotted body seems to produce even more laughter with each bound he takes. A lashing green tail distracts him from his play, though, and he tilts his head back to regard the grazing vixen. A pair of giant brown ears flop over as he does this. He is uncertain of her mood, and if his shadowed eyes do not reveal that to her than the emotional bond between them does.

Oh no, go on playing. And while you're at it, let the whole island know that we're here, will you? The vehemence in her thoughts causes the boy to flinch, and a snort of laughter stirs the grass just as she rips it from the ground. The peahen twists her head as she devours her meal so that she can eye the boy with one of her suns. Words need not be spoken to get her anger across to him. They have only known each other for a short time now, but these past few days have been full of enlightenment for the cowering pup. As far as he can tell, her mood shifts as often as his form.

Returning to her meal, the bitter peahen stomps one hind hoof into the ground to send the rougarou off. You've caused me enough trouble today. Go be useful somewhere. The boy responds to her immediately, bounding off towards the place that has intrigued him since his hatching.

His spotted form darkens as he approaches the island's centre, his body shrinking and growing thinner as rounded ears lengthen. Blue feathers frame his whiskered face and decorate his tail, and as the tiny kitten sprints towards the bustling centre he can feel the drag of more plumage at his sides. This new discovery is soon forgotten, however, for the speeding train loses its course and collides into a glossy white leg.

Giant black ears fall to the sides as pain overtakes him, and the struggling feline gasps for air as he urges it to subside. As he waits for his head to clear, the boy takes note of the thundering sound of hooves coming in from where he just left. Apparently his panic had been transmitted through their psychic link, and the territorial bird has rushed to reclaim her charge. The boy tries to glance up at her, but his head emits a fresh wave of pain when he does so. What he can sense through the bond he does not need to see, though, and he drags himself away from the temperamental vixen.

The peahen knows what he is trying to do though, yet she bites her tongue when she realizes who the boy has encountered. "Kahlua." A blue crown dips in greeting, but blazing eyes seek out an onyx hide. This will not go unpunished. A reptilian stench fills her quivering nose. "I see that you are well. And that you are not just one, but two now."

Raising her head from her over-extended bow, the Aztec looks over the painted lady, simultaneously checking her over for wounds and also taking note of the dragon. When she has determined that no harm has come to the lean lady's figure, the bird sets her feathers to rest. "I apologize for mictla's actions, although I am not too certain what he did."

Special font #1 Special font #2 Special font #3

Image Credits

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!
Permission granted for physical harassment!

Looking left and right around her, Kahlua hardly noticed the small creature darting across the ground until he crashed directly into her leg. “Oh!” she said with a gasp, dancing backwards a step or two and looking down to see what it was she had been assaulted by. A smile crossed her face as she noticed the feathered kitten at her hooves. On her back, the feathered dragon chortled as he swayed left and right, trying to regain his balance, long neck snacking around Kahlua’s to look at the ground.

For a moment he considered retaining his perch upon the Sunshower’s back, but curiosity at the furred and feathered beast below him drove him to action, jumping from her shoulder to the ground, landing near the kitten and tracing the rougarou’s gaze as the stranger looked backwards. Both Khan and Kahlua’s gazes fell upon the peahen as she arrived, the Sunshower’s face drawing into a bright smile and the little blue chortling out his dragon song, as he sensed the pleasure in Kahlua’s mind.

Quickly, she set her basket upon the ground between her hooves. “You as well, Bellona,” she replied with a nod to the retreating form of the rougarou and the interested dragon who crawled across the dirt to follow him. “He did nothing,” she replied then to the second comment with a shake of her head, “Just a bit of a bump- we surprised each other.” The easy-going queen saw no reason to blame the young one for his excitement. Whatever had spurred him to race across the ground, she had interrupted his progress much more than he had interrupted hers.

“Actually, I’m glad he bumped into me, I’ve been looking for you. I wanted to thank you. You were so kind to me, offering me protection from Aurelia and from Ulrik with hardly knowing me,” she says with a smile, reaching her nose out to offer a warm breath of air from her nostrils. Absently, she started digging through the ground with her hoof, pulling at a variety of small rocks, trying to find one that suited her purposes.

As she dug, she added a final question, wondering what the peahen’s thoughts on being bonded were. “What do you think of little Mictla?” she said, assuming that it was the creature’s name. “Of your bond and the connection?” A small frown crossed her lips, but other than that she said nothing of her own feelings. About the same time, young Khan was leaping into the air, attempting to pounce upon the rougarou to initiate some sort of game of rough and tumble, unattended by the queen, who probably should have been giving more structure to his life.

@[Bellona]
larfsalot @ deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Hidden Account
"Let's just hope he doesn't do it again." The peahen's words come out after a weary sigh. The tiny black kitten deserves more than what her brisk tones convey, but the vicious bird will not deal out his punishment today. Luckily for him, her temper is easy to repress in the presence of the gentle queen. She smirks at the sight of her boy being stalked by the blue regardless of her current state of ease.

You better watch out, kitten. I won't have weakness around me for long. The struggling serval reacts immediately, spinning around and opening his tiny maw in an attempt to nip at one of the dragon's fluffy paws. The beauty's interest in their skirmish is interrupted by the painted lady's thanks, and she lifts her blue crown to face her again.

She allows silence to settle against her colored form before finally disturbing it with a shrug of winged shoulders. "I don't need much encouragement where battle is involved." The Chieftess refers to the golden brat when she says this. Her hard stare softens enough so that the kinder woman can see the uncertainty in them. It is a look dealt in hesitation, but she wants the queen to know that she is not always as bitter as she appears to be. "As for our last meeting, I am not so certain."

Much like I am no longer certain why I wish to befriend you. Her second approach at friendship is not as subtle as the first had been, although it is just as foreign a concept for the bird. Yet despite this obvious setback, she still finds her wanting to try. "Perhaps it could be that I prefer you unharmed." Feathers stir restlessly upon her wither. This is obviously not her area of expertise.

The warrior notices the overo pawing at the ground, deciding that the girl must be feeling just as awkward as she is. Although this is not the case, the colorful maiden struggles to lessen the 'strain' between them. "Perhaps if I knew you better you would not feel this way. I know your name, but I do not know who you are. Where are you- from..." Startled by Kahlua's approach the maiden's tone falters. Fiery orbs grow wider as the lady's sweet breath stirs her whiskers, and she hesitates for only a second before returning the gesture. She briefly wonders what her breath must smell like to the civil woman. Wild, I would imagine. I am so very unlike her; soft curves and monotonous colors do not adorn this vibrant body.

The queen is off with her questions again, though, and the bird feels obliged to answer them, if not a little miffed at their random choice of topic. Green tresses shift as a subtle breeze tumbles past, but the maiden does not toss her head to send the locks away. She seeks out the boy's tumbling form and rests her sight upon him, studying his changing body as he sheds onyx hair for russet. Entranced by his unique ability, the Aztec's tones are low and distant.

"The bond is strange, Kahlua, and as absurd as it is remarkable. I did not discover our connection until the little one dared to use it, and I think that he knew about it all along." She pauses here to watch the boy's newest form, taking note of its size and bulk. His movements seem to be clunkier as a hyena cub, but that could just as well be due to his growing body than a flaw in the creature's design.

"Did you know that when I received him, his egg cracked upon the sands where I killed his mother? He or some unseen force rebuilt the shell, though, and then it rolled between my hooves. The boy died there that day, and yet here is, playing with your beast." Smoldering orbs turn to icy ones; the extravagant vixen can no longer look at the boy. "Mictla means 'place of death' in the tongue of my ancestors. He has gone unnamed since his hatching, but perhaps it is time that he bore one."

The bird falls silent as she succumbs to the sadness dwelling in her heart. It has been many weeks since she last thought of her family, but for some reason unknown to her she thinks of them today. A frown tugs gently at her lips and her stare falls to the ground. She watches a beetle crawl through the lush grass as the flames behind her eyes slowly go out. Somewhere beside her she can hear the boy's childish cackles, but her mind does not process the sound.

"What of you, Kahlua? What makes you question the bond?"

Image Credits

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!

A draconian chortle rose from the little blue’s mouth as the serval’s teeth scrapped against his paw. Gently, for he is only looking for some mischievous fun, the feathered beast whipped his tail around, attempting to whack it against the serval’s side as he landed back on the ground from his leap. The chortle returns, this time happier more than surprised, and the little beast spread his wings, hunkering low to the ground as he awaited the next move of the multiform creature.

Letting the peahen explain herself, Kahlua continued digging with a patient smile on her face, though she broke into raucous laughter at one of the bird’s statements. “I prefer myself unharmed as well.” Her jovial demeanor lighted the area with her soprano song- dancing, bubbly laughter that filled the air. But she was pleased to find that she did not scare the warrior woman off with her friendly advances, reveling in the closeness that came with the exchange of breath.

“Oh, forgive me!” she replies then, quite beside herself that she had failed to even introduce herself properly despite their two close meetings. “I’m queen of the Edge, with Kaj as my king.” For a moment she stops, wondering exactly what else the mare wanted to know, but she was happy enough to talk and so she prattled on, all the while searching the earth for the perfect stone. “I came here a couple years back… my childhood home burned to ashes. Sometimes I wish the memories would have burned with them.” A sigh traced her lips them, exhaling some of the bad taste that sat in her mouth over thoughts of her mother and father, the blackened cathedral and their hellish harem.

“They’re funny that way,” she responded later, turning to watch as the feathered serval changed forms to a hyena. The power was one Kahlua found odd indeed, as strange as it was to watch a mammal shift from this to that and back again. But she found she liked him regardless, enjoying the way he changed as quickly as the weather and winds and skies did. But then she silenced herself and returned her gaze to the peahen, listening with rapt attention to the story.

“Your story is amazing. The gods are wonderful,” she said at first, giving an obligatory glance towards the sky where they so often seemed to come from. “That is Khan,” she indicated as the blue began to wiggle his but back and forth, enticing the now-hyena to continue their game. “I asked because the idea of such an emotional connection without boundaries is…” she trailed off for a moment as her hoof finally struck what she was looking for.

Her smile had been fading as she spoke, but returned en force when she dug the nearly-spherical grape-sized rock entirely from the dirt. Nosing it in front of her, she called upon the magic she had been bestowed with by the lighted orb. Gently, the thing began to glow, lighting an area about 9 feet around itself with its steady light. Of course, the queen was not happy with the simple rock and so she called upon a different magic that had come to her quite unexpectedly. Mist in the air, from all the waterfalls, began to condense. It began to form a sphere around the rock, spires of glass-like ice holding it almost as though it was floating in the center. Finally, links of the same mist-turned-glass began to join one another, forming a necklace that joined the sphere and connected to make one complete chain.

When the thing was all said and done, some many minutes later, the queen smiled and picked the chain up in her mouth, lifting her nose and offering to lay the lighted necklace over the peahen’s head to wrap around her neck and lay on her chest. But with that done, she could procrastinate no longer. “I learned when I was young that love, like the love I think I should have for Khan or the love one would have for a mate, is nothing but torture. I watched my mother whither under the dominion of my father; my brothers learn to be as cruel as their parents; and I thought that what I was experiencing and doing was normal.” She frowned then, though the warm light from the necklace seemed to give her some peace. “I guess it’s just hard to come to term with the fact that love doesn’t have to be so…” she lingered on the last word, trying to find the right finish. “So destructive. Do you like it?”

OOC| Kahlua made a sphere of ice that looks and acts like glass. A chain connects to the sphere, long enough to wrap around Bellona’s neck. Within the sphere is a spherical rock that glows with yellow light for about 9 feet all around. Thin posts of glass on the X, Y and Z axis hold the rock in the center of the sphere. The ice is temporary and will melt in birdsong, or if it is exposed to fire, and doesn’t need to be added to the records. The glow rock is permanent and does need to be added to the records. Kahlua doesn’t know it will melt 

@[Bellona]
larfsalot @ deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

If only happiness, like the frozen necklace could last.
It can't.

A wind picks up suddenly, blowing from the south. It's not unusual given the location, but it does not desist, but rather seems to grow and intensify with abnormal speed. The atmosphere all around remains normal, any clouds which drifted continuing to move slowly and steadily across the sky, yet the meager breeze which had begun was now a freezing, terrible whip that lashed itself across the two mares.

Directly around them the grass, previously so full and lush, withered in an instant. Under their toes, worms fought their way out onto the surface, black bodies wriggling with a noticeable hurry as if trying to escape something within the soil of this place. Yet the worms had no escape, for once the wind brushed across their sleek and slimy bodies, they curled away from it and into themselves, writhing with a silent agony.

No matter where the mares' feet touched, the vegetation soured and wilted. Worms came like an unending tide of darkness, eventually burrowing from beneath the corpses of those that had come before them. It grew and grew, its tempo increasing with each wrinkled body that broke topside, so that they forced to try and squirm up the legs of the mares. Their movements were eerily desperate, and if they'd had hands, surely they would have clawed up the horseflesh for salvation.

Yet they did not have hands, so they did what they knew, they dug. Bellona and Kahlua would begin to feel a tight, pinching sensation around their feet. The worms, in their frenzy, had begun to burrow into their skin. It was difficult for the dirt-bound creatures, so many of them imploded as they tried, their organs bursting out various areas of their body as their heads placed so much pressure against the obstacle of the horse. Yet they did not stop. They could not, because a worse fate would come to them otherwise.

The wind died down. The worms, a heap of black destruction, blew away with the very last squall. All that remained were the browned patches of vegetation, but those too would spring back to normalcy once the mares looked away.

There was something wrong here.

darknightoftroy

Hidden Account
A sapphire crown bobs in response to the Queen's words, not really understanding what is being said and only comprehending key points from the mare's speech. She mentions a home in which her family burned, and memories that she wish had burnt too -- oh, now she is laughing, what on Earth has possessed her to laugh at that? Perhaps it was the other way around; did she laugh first, or was she speaking of some Khan? Her misery has left her hopelessly confused, but the maiden makes no attempt to wade through the fog invading her mind. The horrified cries of her people drown out the dame's voice, and images of vibrant warriors choking on their own blood fill her cranium. Orange eyes gaze at the grass but they do not detect its rapid decay. All that she can see now are her tribe's beautiful bodies being hacked to pieces by man, the pieces of them constructing a shifting mountain of flesh and bone. She stands at its summit, striped legs locked in place, as a wave of maggots descends upon her from the belly of the mangled heap. No, no, NO!

It is the hyena's surprise that frees the bird from her cage, causing the maiden to start as her conscious is sent sprawling back to the present. She gasps for air as the images fade, blue audits picking up on the lost conversation, which has shifted to comment on love. It is not a topic that the Aztec is familiar with, but she owes her friend some sort of reply. She will make certain that she is not ignored for long, but for now the effects of her visions still plague her.

What the hell was that? It is a rhetorical question for she knows that the boy cannot answer that, but he halts his advances nonetheless, receiving a playful whack to the side of his head by doing so. Tentatively, he reaches out for her through the bond, but the maiden reacts by stabbing at his mind. The rougarou howls in protest as pain overtakes him, and the bird immediately regrets her actions. Forgive me, Mictla. I was held captive by my thoughts. It is past me now. Go back to playing. The boy obeys her command, but his concern does not dissipate with the pain. He prepares to leap on one of the dragon's wings, although his heart is not in the game any more. The hyena insists on having his mother confide in him, and the mare consents to his offer. Some day soon, boy. You will not be kept in the dark for ever.

A low snort sounds from her nostrils, dispelling her fear with the burst of air. The transition from grief-stricken damsel to proud chieftess is swift, and her colorful features exhibit this change just as brilliantly as the rougarou does his. Feathers sway in the wind in time to outstretched wings, and a multi-hued neck arches to accentuate its magnificence. Although it is true that the maiden's transformation is not as noticeable as her companion's, it is certainly just as significant; she is no longer a soldier acting without cause, but a bold leader set in the ways of her fallen civilization. Never again will the she return to the vulnerable state of a girl with no home; she does have a home now, and why she has been avoiding it all this time is beyond her. They are her people just as much as her family was, and they need her more now than they ever have. Just as they rely on her, she requires them.

With the eruption of this epiphany comes the lady's final question. The bird reasserts her fiery gaze upon her, and her lips form an apology just as the paint moves to give her something. The Chieftess moves forward without a second thought, receiving the gift with a gracious bow of her head. "Cualneci, Kahlua. Thank you." Craning her head down to glance at the icy thing, the maiden frowns. She is undeserving of such beauty, especially after her silence. "Forgive me, though, for I've nothing to give you."

A blue nose reaches out for an onyx one, meaning to offer a warm breath of appreciation but delivering a shocked gasp instead. Blazing eyes snap downwards to watch as writhing creatures dig into her coronets. A hoarse cry sounds from the peahen as she balks, stirring the air with her wings in a horrified frenzy. Dark hooves slam into the ground in an effort to kill the wretched things, but the bursting worms die almost faster than she can get at them.

The spotted boy is sensitive to her fear now that she has already felt it once today, and he rushes to her aid. Before his teeth can grasp a blackened body though, a harsh wind races by to whisk them away. A brown stare peers upwards to an orange one, seeking an explanation for this very unnatural occurrence. The boy may not have been here for long, but he is almost certain that what has happened is not normal.

When at last the maiden is certain that the threat has gone, she refers to her beast aloud. "What are you playing at?" She speaks of the Gods when she says this, although her knowledge of them is limited. Surely those who can revive a dead babe can send monstrous beings up from the Earth. "I think it would be best if we parts ways, Kahlua. You have a herd to tend to as Queen, and I have leaders to report to." A grim frown sets itself upon her lips at that. She has not seen either of her rulers for quite a few days now.

"I hope that you can forgive me for my silence. My thoughts overtook me, as they threaten to do now." I have a home to watch out for. This is something that they must know. "Thank you for the gift, but it is time that we left."

{OOC: Leaving this open so in case you want to talk this through, Bel is here. Otherwise, assume Bel has left!

Cualneci -- it is beautiful}

Image Credits

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!

If the queen was smarter she would have noticed the way Bellona was distracted and distant while she blabbered on. She would have noticed the way that the peahen gasped for air, tried to inhale more oxygen than her lungs could carry and attempted to save herself from her past. Kahlua knew that feeling- escaping the chains that attached one to what had happened before. But Kahlua hardly had time to notice what the peahen was experiencing or pay attention to the way she jabbed at her companion across the way. The rainbow mare was excellent at hiding her emotions, and hidden they remained, as she pressed them away. “I don’t ask or expect anything in return,” was her pleasant, truthful answer.

But, as noted, happiness could not continue. She was about to accept the peahens reach when, looking down, a new nightmare for the queen began to materialize. The wind that had been growing, but otherwise ignored, should have been heeded. The ground was withering and exploding with worms in less than an instant. While Bellona stomped, Kahlua screamed, hooves slamming into the ground in an attempt to squish the nightmares that were pouring out beneath her hooves.

However, there was no stopping them; they came from nowhere and everywhere all at once and there was no stopping them. The queen’s eyes grew wide and her frenzied stomp turned to pure panic as the worms began to pinch and dig into her skin. Fear did not even begin to describe what she was feeling. Pure, unadultered horror was even too kind. Kahlua’s mind went all but black as the terror of the situation drove her to instinctual panic. But where to go? No matter where she turned there were worms everywhere and it seemed like her hooves hardly could remember how to do anything but stomp anyways.

But one last gust of wind was their savior, finally coming and blowing the monsters away. It had only been a few seconds, but Kahlua was covered in sweat and breathing like she had nearly been drowned to death. Tears that had been steadily growing in her eyes slowly began to pour over her eyelids. Even the words that Bellona spoke were barely heard, but Kahlua bobbed her head in slow disbelief, blue eyes staring at the ground in abject fear, as though the monsters would come back at the moment’s notice. “Yes, the herd,” she choked out through her tears and gasps.

When she finally began to move, spurred on by Bellona’s insistence that she attend to her family, the motions were sharp and jerky. But step by step she made her way away from this place; how could some place so beautiful be so terrible as well?
larfsalot @ deviantart
subtlepatterns.com