the Rift

[PRIVATE] The Sun Shines on All (2)
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia felt the empty hole in her heart swallow up the night sky around her like an abyss. She wandered, unwilling to let herself feel the pleasure of the northern snow - at least not yet. Illynx was an interesting character, and Torleik was kind, gentle and sweet. She knew that she would break him, but the Aurora Basin was now the only thing on her horizon that was the least bit intriguing. Other curiosities were eaten by the black chasm inside, but this nagged just enough to get her attention and hold it for longer than a fleeting second.

But instead of moving north, she stood here, in the middle of a field with a large, orange moon over head. A chilly breeze curled past her long, bloody tresses and she shivered, willing her thick, winter coat to grow in more quickly. In the distance, a tree cast a black silhouette against the sky, so she moved in its direction, figuring that she could at least take refuge beneath the boughs for the rest of the night. The brook babbled just a little ways away, and the sound of splashing as Tinek fished brought a crinkle to the corners of her eyes that might have been a sad excuse for a smile.

The God of the Sun had given her a difficult quest indeed, especially since she found it hard to make herself give a damn about getting to know anyone else. Hopefully the next stranger she stumbled across would be more forthcoming with her problems - or even someone she would recognize. Wouldn't that be lucky?

But luck was never on her side.

Tinek trotted up from the stream with two fish in his fangs and glided up into the trees to carefully skin the meat from the bones. He was a rather dainty eater. The dragon trilled in greeting to Phi before returning to his meal, and she snorted her hello in response. She enjoyed these days when they did not even need mental words to speak; it brought her closer to Tinek, giving her false ideas that maybe, even if they weren't bonded, he might still like her as a friend.

@[Bellona]

(This is a stage for helping her get back into Sun God's good graces for Phi's quest!)

Credits: Image by Del-Rae @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Bellona Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0hh :: 7 years old Buff: NOVICE
Mictla :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow Nyte

A bone shatters, fall apart and hit the floor
If it doesn't thrill you it doesn't matter any more
</style>

The Aztec is unharmed by the chill of the biting wind, but the same cannot be said for the chick nestled in her feathers. The maiden has never felt so anxious about the cold having come from a land of warmth and light; even so, she finds herself worrying about her charge's well-being more so than her own discomfort. At least she has a coat that has begun to fill in -- the shivering babe does not.

Why don't you just change forms? The tenderness in her suggestion goes unnoticed by the boy who, in an attempt to steal some of his mother's warmth, scuttles closer to her radiant neck. A tiny beak grasps for some of her tresses in an attempt to pull his body forwards, but the cold has sapped his strength. He cannot do it.

You are better than that. It is not so cold yet. This time her words are as biting as the wind. How will you make it through the winter like this? Either change forms, or let your body grow. Indignation sparks up inside the beauty's cranium like a flickering bulb, and she twists her head around to bear down on the boy. She knows that the feeling had not been hers. The chick is quick to return to submission, and he urges his body to take on another form.

Once the transformation is complete, the rougarou finds that he is considerably warmer. He sends his thanks to the peahen, who just snorts and rolls her eyes, returning to her trek through the thistles. The next time you decide to be rebellious, make sure to remember who saved you. The boy winces at her sharp remark, flattening rounded ears against his spotted skull. He will not do it again.

Deciding that she is finished with the cub for the night, the Chieftess concentrates on navigation. Her colored hide shivers as another crisp breeze rolls over her. Damn this weather. It is high time that she sought out a shelter for the night, and there just so happens to be a gnarled old tree that will suit her needs. The feathered maiden heads towards the dark sentinel with the weight of the moon pressing down on her. At least it is not her thoughts that are charged with that task tonight.

As she reaches what appears to be the first of a copse of trees the peahen notices that she is not alone. She raises her guard on instinct, not recognizing the mare's ghostly form until the bird is almost upon her. Her realization of who the white lady is for nought, however, for even thought she has seen this woman before she means nothing to the bird. She is just another pretty face in the sea of identities, blood, and ties, and the warrior has no time to waste on those she does not know.
Unless, of course, there is time to waste, and she really should get to know her.

"I've seen you before."

"blah blah blah." @[Ophelia]

mac4creativePeople @ flickr.com

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!
Permission granted for physical harassment!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia looked up to see the vibrantly colored mare from the top of the mountain come her way. Interesting. The newcomer sparked in her a new curiosity, something that pushed past the frozen center to the forefront of her brain. It clung there like a dead leaf clings to the water, bouncing around in her mind as the stranger continued to approach. Surely this stranger saw her. The shards of stone that did not leave her hair sparkled in the moonlight, making her appear a white star beneath boughs of darkness.

A creature, a dark creature, sat upon the mare's back, and Ophelia odd, two toned eyes swept her over, recognizing her immediately and remembering her exit perfectly. She had turned her back on the sun god, storming off in a huff, and Phi had wondered if he would smite her for such rude behavior. He did not, but he would surely remember. Just like her, he seemed to remember everything.

Apparently this stranger remembers her as well. Her name is Bellona. She heard it uttered from the mouth of the Sun God himself. "You are Bellona," Ophelia said quietly. "You rose to the God of the Sun's challenge on top of the mountain in the clouds before storming away." She did not speak with judgment. Who was she to cast a stone on the mare for what she had been going through?

Tinek peeked from under the tree branches at the stranger. "She looks like a bird."

Ophelia chuckled in her mind. "I think she might be one, or at least part of one."

"You were looking for Osiris." Ophelia said quietly. She no longer loved the half-wolf, but the memory of how she felt when she did was flawless, just like all the others. Would it always hurt? The rejection she had felt on the sands that day?

@[Bellona]

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Hidden Account

</style>

Dark orbs drift upwards at the lithe dragon's movements, latching onto the image of his glinting body as it perches in its tree. A delighted cackle sounds from the boy, and the cold is immediately forgotten; he jumps from the bird's wide shoulders to the ground, his spotted form dashing to and fro as he paces at the base of the shadowy sentinel. The hyena keeps this up for scarcely a minute when he turns a dark head around to face the vixen, who exudes distaste. You look like a fool. I know I did not teach you to act this way. The cub hangs his head as his shame creeps into the bond. Much to their surprise, the beauty -- who has found herself acting out of kindness rather than hatred as of late -- assures him that such is expected of a child. Go on playing, pilontli. Do not cause me too much grief.

She watches the boy as he returns to his mischief. Her stare has gone almost completely soft when the Chieftess remembers that she is not alone, and she immediately shuts out all emotion. The red-stained princess has no right to comment on her life, and the bird makes sure to help her realize that. "My, my, aren't you observant? What else have you seen me do?" The bitterness in her tone is apparent, but the boy's excitement at interacting with the dragon drags some of the conviction out of it.

"You were the one who told me has gone. And you were the one who the God showed so much affection to. Mind telling me what you did to make him fawn over you like that? Apparently asserting your own independence was not how that was done." She ruffles her feathers at that, the colorful tendrils stiffening to fan out atop her back. The beauty is obviously still upset about her encounter with the deity, but grief also strikes her for losing her wolf. Dark hooves stir the shadows underneath the tree as she tries to dispel the memories of him from her mind. You are gone now, just as you will always be.

"But it is too late for me, isn't it?" She is quieter now, although anger still taints her words. Perhaps she is realizing that she should have practised restraint in the molten man's presence; can such a feat help her in conversing with mortals, too? "He hates me already, does he not?"

{pilontli -- "puppy/small one/young boy."}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia watched with a beautiful smile, such an expression that rarely touched her solemn, tragic features. The hyena jumped from the vibrantly colored mare's back and paced beneath where Tinek finished eating his fish, and the dragon peered down with wide, red eyes. When the creature hung his head and stopped moving, the dragon dropped, wings expanding just far enough to not damage his body in the fall. There, the friendly royal chirped a greeting, bopped the hyena with his nose, and then ran off, eager to play with a new friend.

They could learn much from these companions who hold no grudges between species or gender. Ophelia turned her gaze back up to the mare, shaking her head. "I only remember what I experience," she replied. "I was not spying on you." That was truth. She was a spy, but not for anyone and she wasn't spying on Bellona. Honestly, the mare had just intrigued her, so she ignored the bitterness in the tone.

At her next few phrases, Ophelia laughed once, harshly. "I offended the God so deeply before that he returned all my memories but the most important one and refused to see me for an entire year. He threw a fireball at me to get me away from his very presence. Not until now has he seemed to forgiven me," she said quietly, sadly. "I do not know why he acts the way he does, but I know that I am devoted to his light. I always have been, even in his rejection."

She listened curiously, and Ophelia shook her head. No, there was certainly hope. "If there is one thing that you can learn from what I just told you, it's that there is always hope," she replied. A soft, comforting sigh echoed from her lips. "He does not hate you. He is worried you are going down the wrong path. To keep himself from feeling disappointment, he puts you at a distance - at least that is what I believe."

Ophelia smiled. "You can earn his trust and affection, easily. Opposite of what you say, he prefers those who are strong of character, but you also have to care about what he says. You have to want to follow fire or light, and it has to be a change in you." She looked up and then realized that maybe the Sun God's quest did not all have to be so dark and subversive. She could use this opportunity to teach.

"If you wanted to make a good impression on someone else, what would you do?"

@[Bellona]

Hidden Account

</style>

An uneasy cackle sounds from the pup at the silver's sudden descent, but as soon as the dragon initiates their play he dispels the feeling for delight. He darts after its fleeing form, basking in the attention that his new playmate provides whilst scheming to pounce on him all the while. His gangly body is too unbalanced to commit such a feat, however, and the hyena soon finds himself sliding tail-first into a prickly bush. Pleading eyes seek out the dragon's scaled hide, and he calls out to the dragon for some assistance.

Dark ears twist to catch the squeak that her boy emits, but a sullen crown does not turn to watch him struggle. For as long as she has shared his company, some part of the bitter woman has always felt for him as he does for her, and although she will never admit to it, she truly does love him. Perhaps it is for this reason that the bird feels so uneasy in his presence; even in all of the hatred and disgust that she shows towards him, he still remains by her side. One might suggest that she make amends with the boy, but in truth the cruel bird just does not know how. It is against her nature to accept that she is wrong, just as it is against her nature to ignore the words of a stranger.

"That is a strange way to show his worry, then, but who am I to judge? I am only mortal." Bitterness creeps back into her reply, yet the maiden still considers Phi's words with some thoughtfulness. "But if what you say is true, then he acts just as we all do. Indecisive. Hypocritical. Perhaps even with some necessity." A sigh, and then the lady's words finally hit home. There is always hope. The vibrant bird is sceptical at first, but her thoughts morph from disbelief into something almost akin to acceptance.

"You make me think that I deserved his treatment, but was it not a good impression that I delivered in the first place?" The Aztec remains defiant in her initial response, but she complies to the snowy girl's wishes in the end. Broad shoulders roll back in a shrug. "I would prove that I am capable of undertaking any challenge, and see to it that they know me not by my name, but by my accomplishments. Show them that I am able, and strong, and worthy of knowing." She struggles to come up with something to say after that, truthfully uncertain as to how one "makes a good impression".

"I am not sure. It is not a task that I set about doing when meeting others. What is it that you would do?"
For a moment the maiden wonders what her boy thought when he hatched. Was he impressed to find himself next to such a proud creature? Or was he disheartened to know that he was bound to a woman unable to return his love?

"blah blah blah." @[Ophelia] Sorry, my brain is all over the place. x.x

{pilontli -- "puppy/small one/young boy."}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Forsaken

Tinek's sharp talons helped him run on the soft, grassy ground, able to make tight turns like a sports player in cleats. The dragon was also older, mature, much more capable than he was when he was young, unlike this little hyena creature. The child cried out to him after taking a turn too quickly into a bush, and Tinek trotted over, looking at the situation before grabbing the companion by the shoulders and hauling him from the greenery.

Ophelia was curious about the lack of compassion she saw in the vibrantly colored mare for the cries of her friend, and she furrowed her brows, frowning slightly. She wonders why this one is so hard on both the inside and outside, and she can see now why the Sun God might have found her abrasive. Choosing to ignore the flaw she saw and grateful for the ice over her heart, Ophelia listened, snorting in agreement at her bitter words.

Still, the mare was intelligent, choosing to defend the god of her own volition in a way. "I choose to think this way: he is immortal, surrounded by us who live such short and tragic lives. If he were to give away a piece of his heart to all of us, he would be left empty. I think he puts everyone at a distance with criticism out of necessity, like you said," Ophelia hummed in thought, attempting a smile that barely reached the corners of her haunted eyes.

Ophelia shrugged. "Talking back, turning your back on a god is not a good way to make a good impression. He is not obligated to give anything; he gives by choice. We have to respect the fact that we deserve nothing but can work to earn what we can." Bellona was a woman of action and not philosophy, and Ophelia respected that deeply. Very few were so talented and driven to do works instead of just talking about doing so much.

The question Bellona asked put her thoughts to work, and she rested one of her back legs leisurely, at ease in this back and forth conversation. "I am self aware enough to know that I have an insatiable curiosity," she began slowly. But sometimes, this works to my advantage. Above all else, I seek to know, so I ask questions, eager to learn what the Sun God or anyone will tell. From my experience, asking questions and being thoughtful is a way to make a good impression."

Ophelia smiled. "Being known for your actions is noble and challenging, but if we do not know the heart behind the actions they only hold half of their meaning. A gift without a thoughtful note is just an item." The pale princess gazed at the beautiful, colorful bird-girl and was tempted to use her magic to gain access to even her most private of memories, to learn what made her tick. She held herself back.

"Why is it that actions speak louder than words to you?" she asked softly. "What do you think you have to prove?"

@[Bellona]

Hidden Account

</style>

The boy's mouth splits in a toothy grin when the dragon comes to his aid. He is grateful to have a friend now; someone whom he can interact with freely without worrying about the impact that his actions (which are always committed with good intentions) will have on the bitter bird. Rather than dwell on the matter, though, the hyena allows the physical pain owed to the thistles to wash away the sorrow that his mistress' inaction has dealt. One by one, the seeds of his humiliation are all washed away. All that there is room for inside of his spotted skull is his next plan of attack: leaping for one of dragon's wings.

As much as it pains her to give the boy her attention, the vixen can't stop herself from rolling her eyes. Her hard stare -- which is beginning to melt, for the white maid's kindness and her companion's playful antics have slowly chipped away at her core -- breaks free of Ophelia's asymmetrical gaze for a moment. The bitter woman swings her head back as if to itch her ribs, but really the action is meant to observe the spotted boy.

You need to pin it down; don't just try to grab it. Another few seconds of pretending to scratch her ruby flesh. You won't have any advantage if you keep at it like that.

The cub is so startled by her sudden contribution that he halts his advance on the silver to look at her. Finally, finally the insensitive woman gives him the attention that he has always craved, but... Why now? Why not when he was in trouble before?

Rather than receive an answer from her, though -- and instead of sending his confusion to her through their bond -- the boy just shakes his head. Someday he will understand why the Aztec acts the way she does. She has returned to her conversation with the horned lady for now, and so he will busy himself as well. With the striped warrior's advice in mind, the cub dives for one of the dragon's leathery wings with a cackle.

"So he is not only a fiery man, but a smart one at that?" She cannot conceal the smirk that forms upon her maw. The bird truly does not mean to be rude, but she can't help but be amused at the incredible similarity between her and this God. If he were to give away a piece of his heart to all of us, he would be left empty. Oh, how these words do speak to the last of a glorious race. If only the red-tipped wench knew of the people that the bird's sputtering heart died with so long ago. Niquilnamiqui, oquichtin.

The heartache that comes with their memory is enough to placate the mare when the Forsaken next judges her character. Rather than retaliate to her words with ferocity and disrespect, though, the bird only illuminates the depths of blood and water with the fire that burns beneath her own pools.

"I succeeded in the task he set about me. I excelled where others only imitated or failed." A snarl starts to form upon the lady's blue lips, but she refuses to submit to the arrogance that had cost her a prize before. Standing before is an individual who has seen the bird rise upon brilliance and fall upon outrage, and there is nothing to be gained from utilizing the latter in this discussion.

Drawing in a deep breath to cool the flames causing her blood to boil, the stubborn warrior parts her lips in a phrase that has scarcely touched them before: "Forgive me, for I was in the wrong." Bright ears flatten back against her skull for a moment. The pride in her voice is eliminated by her shame, and her voice is akin to that of a scolded school girl when she says, "I should not have acted as I did, to you or to him. I am... sorry." The flames in her eyes burn at a lower temperature when she says this, and blunt teeth chew at her lip in thought.
Her words have regained their usual tone when she starts to talk again, although they are spoken with more care now.

"I am impulsive. I do not sit idly and wait for others to do what my mind dictates. I act when it suits me. I do not waste my time considering every option when I could just listen to my instincts. I admire that in others, as well, I guess." Beautiful wings swing back in yet another shrug. "Talking, and sociability, as you know, are not what suit me. Apologizing is not something... I admire. It is weakness. It is proving that by acting upon what my body tells me to do I can commit wrong. How can one trust their body and still not do right?"

{Niquilnamiqui, oquichtin -- "I remember [you], brave warriors."
So long. Getting back into the groove and loving it!}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!