the Rift

[OPEN] this place was a shelter

Jorogumo Posts: 70
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 2 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Selkie

Jorogumo

Throw along youngest stare arms reclaim stars unnamed.

She hadn’t forgotten the venom that Kisaki spat. She hadn’t forgotten the way that pig called her a child. In rage she had left behind the cold north she had called home. Seasons later she remained in her bitter exile. Jorogumo was restless. Jorogumo was lonely above all else. Pride wouldn’t let her drag herself back to that herd that so easily spat upon her. She wouldn’t return until she had evidence of her impending greatness. The Spider would one day rule, one day she would watch Illynx fall to her knees and call Jorogumo Kisaki. All would praise her name and tremble in fear beneath her. One day, the Spider would be a god, this she swore.

That skewed mind had focused simply upon one thing and person, Reginald. Her prince that had been one of few reoccurring figures. Her obsession with the colt had only grown in her isolation. With her searching she hadn’t found him and slowly she was growing to view her prince as nothing but a specter of the past. Much like everyone else he faded into the oblivion of her memories and she sensed in time he would become nothing to her. Nothing but a childhood ideal and obsession. In the past months the filly had grown begun the full transition into being a young woman. Her body had lost the lanky and awkwardness of a foal’s body and begun to show the signs of a truly graceful woman.

All she could hear was the moaning of the wind and the crunch of the snow beneath her hooves. Jorogumo had found a simple lonely peak in her exile and something about it cleared her thoughts and brought on a rare sense of peace. So she walked, snow caking into the small bits of feathering on her feet. When she finally reached the peak her eyes drifted out to the mass expanse of land before her. The wind blew tendrils of thick wavy black hair across her face. Her pale eyes were empty and hollow as a simple feeling of loneliness washed over her. For once she silently cursed her pride as she felt the bitter longing for home.

"blah blah blah."

[open to anyone]

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

She couldn’t see me. I know this because she just walked right on by me without even a glance or a hesitation, not a single notice. It’s not like I haven’t started to get used to the notion of being nobody since the Time God decided that’s what I needed to be in order to become someone else, but it doesn’t ever get any less bothersome.

Especially because I’m pretty sure that I know her, that girl that just walked by.

I watch her dark figure keep on going ahead, wondering from where it is I can recall her face; she smells like no where, and I’ve never seen her at home, but I know her.

Silently, I pick up a trot and follow after her, a ghost trail of hoof prints crushing into the fine layer of snow as I pass over it, golden eyes glimmering with a curiosity that I can’t feed, bleeding into the desperation of that fact. She seems sad, too young to be alone, and I know how she feels in some ways if not all. It feels like eternity since I’ve played with Erebos, Aithniel, Asch, Arya… all my friends are unreachable, more like wind than the companions they once were.

I guess that’s why I’m out here alone; I can’t be in much danger if no one can see or hear me, and its not like anyone can miss me.

Suddenly, an idea strikes me as I watch the hoof prints in the snow beneath me trail out behind my body, and with a devious smile I launch forward at a canter and proceed to try and run loops around the unsuspecting girl that I somehow know but can’t place.

Can she see the prints? Will it scare her?

It’d be awfully funny if it did.

[ OOC: INVISIBLE RIKYN ATTACCCCKKKKKK ~ Thistle Sister is coming tooooo. ]
@[Aithniel]
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Aithniel the Inquisitor Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.0hh :: 4 Years HP: 75 | Buff: NOVICE
Zerachiel :: Royal Griffin :: Molten Dagger tamme
Aithniel

Rikyn would do this thing now where he would run off, and since he was invisible, she couldn't exactly see where he was going. In a huff, Aithniel would narrow her eyes and watch for funny depressions in the ground or a shift in the air, and if she felt truly threatened, she would strike her hooves together and let fire be her shield. He was devious, and she had a short temper. Aithniel tried to control it, seeings how the winged ones had short tempers, and she did not want to be like them at all.

With a grunt of irriation, since she knew that Rikyn was invisible, she followed his depressions in the snow and trotted in his wake. Did he know that she was following, not so closely behind? Her silver eyes took in her surroundings as the wind howled around her black and gold hair. She pressed her more mature wings against her sides to hold in warmth. Tresses got stuck and trapped around horns that had fully grown backwards and developed points.

Using a trick a strange pegasus had taught her earlier, she expanded her wings and pushed herself off into the air. Aithniel felt herself glide on the winds and landed gracefully, following her brother's hoof prints from above. A dark stranger in the distance made her ears perk up, and she quickly folded her wings back. Her white body blended against the snow, and her dark legs hid in the layers.

What was he doing? This mare did not look... safe. Aithniel watched his steps begin to circle the stranger, but her hawk-like eyes watched from a distance.

I'll go down burning in your embrace

Tabini with many thanks to the amazing Blu

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Please tag me in everything!

Selkie

Jorogumo

Jorogumo had found herself near peace when it out of nowhere she noted the hoofprints circling her. A loud gasp escaped from her lips but she swiftly gained her composure. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she contemplated precisely was occurring before her. In that moment the spider yearned for her venom that she quested for. One bite into whoever was causing this devilry and they would fall to the floor still and silent. She simply snorted and decided for the moment she wouldn’t give the satisfaction of further reaction, her sacred peak had been violated by some yokai or trickster. Her gaze flickered off into the distance and she caught sight of a pale foal circling. Her eyes narrowed even further at the peculiar sight. Since her early youth Illynx whispered hatred toward those that lacked the horn that donned upon the unicorns head. In that moment, all Jorogumo felt was true curiosity. Never in her life had she seen one with wings, and oddly enough Jorogumo caught scent of the Basin. The invisible attack had been forgotten as she focused in on the winged filly. There were questions to be asked and she desired answers.

“Why is it a filly like yourself smells of the Basin?” Jorogumo spoke with more curiosity than malice. Her voice was hoarse from the evident lack of use. Instantly her mind drifted back to Vadim, her friend she had met on the mountain all those months ago. The spider had been so young then, so naïve and untainted. Knowledge was one of her greatest craving, it surpassed even that lust for power that had become so ingrained into her being. “Your wings are magnificent though Kotori.” She admitted. For a long moment jealousy riled in her blood at what an advantage the filly had. There was no use trying to take the little bird’s wings, it would simply anger whatever traitor had spawned such a fascinating creature. “Do you know of what devilry is occurring here?”

@[Aithniel] @[Rikyn]

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

As she gasps and stops to ponder at the strange things happening around her I unleash a silent laugh into the cold air, running several more circles before darting out behind her and into the tree line, nearly gasping with hysterical laughter that I’d managed to scare someone after nearly a week in this state.

The dark lady looks really pissed rather than frightened more quickly than I’d hoped, and it’s the sort of pissed that makes my skin feel funny because it reaches into all of her face and makes her white eyes seem hard and capable of seeing everything, even me. Not that that’s possible – the Time God had made me nobody, and if anyone could cast such magic, it was him, and it would be powerful. Except for the small imprints in the snow, I was gone, a nobody. Here in the shrubbery where the ground didn’t show my hooves on earth as easily, I really was nobody.

I hadn’t known Aithniel was following me, though, which quickly steals my delight at the game and makes me look over at her with a sour expression. With her around, no one will be scared of the ghost boy – though I do understand why she’s following me, I guess. I can’t very well introduce myself to anyone in this form or do much else than taunt random mountain wanderers.

Maybe I’ll try to get into the Edge, and see what it’s like in there.

No one will see me, right?

But… what if the Moon Goddess can?

My invisible eyes broaden in horror at what would happen to a little nobody caught wandering around her lands. From the way momma talks about her, it would be the worst experience in my little life, or maybe the best.

Momma doesn’t make a lot of sense sometimes.

With a frown, I watch the dark one forget about the hoof prints in the snow and call out towards Aithniel who surely knows exactly where I am and has not forgotten that I’m so callously playing with others emotions. She asks why it is Aithniel smells like the Basin, and an aggression that I’ve come to associate with others rises quickly, protection pushing me forward a step in a silent motion through the boughs.

It is kind of creepy, not making noise where one should, to see the branches bend without a single rustle on my flesh, to feel them soundless on me.

The dark mare has a rough, soft voice, like she doesn’t use it often, and my worry that she’s about to bring harm to my sister fades as she makes a comment about her wings that is positive – for once. The collected will I didn’t know I’d been gathering is dropped, a sinking sensation within me, like thousands of lines reaching out from me were suddenly shorn and now drift lazily in the wind as they pull back into my soul.

I move out of the tree line and out towards where Aithniel is, wanting to be near her now that I’m pretty sure my game is ruined and there is no reason not to be.

The final question – what devilry is this – concludes my beliefs, and an adorably wicked smirk spreads across my cheeky little face.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Aithniel

Aithniel did have horns. They were black, solid and curled back behind her head then poked out at her neck. Even though they might not be good for war, they protected her skull and the delicate place where her skull met her vertebrae. So, when the stranger's creepy, white eyes that reminded her way too much of Zikar's (she didn't like Zikar), looked her way, the filly stiffened, jaw jutting in the air.

The question this stranger asked her riled her blood. She knew what she was talking about. Zikar and Illynx had made it clear that she was odd. "You mean why am I in the Basin even though I have wings?" she asked pointedly, her youthful, brat behavior coming through in her tone. Maybe she shouldn't be so loudly rude, but she was close enough to home and Rikyn was here.

What surprised her though was the compliment. No one except Erebos had called her wings special before. Aithniel paused, jaw opening and closing in confusion. She finally just shrugged her wings a little, feeling bashful. Even though she seemed a brat, she was anything but prideful. The little filly was just incredibly defense to the point of attacking before anyone could hurt her with their stoney words. "Uhm... thanks."

When she asked about Rikyn and his hooves, the filly kept a straight face and nodded. Devilry was a big word, but she got the idea. "A ghost," she replied, deciding that she did not want to ruin Rikyn's fun. She just wanted to make sure that he was okay - just like he had made sure that she was okay not so long ago. "I can see the ghost. He is a good ghost, but a ghost."

@[Jorogumo]

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Selkie

Jorogumo

The spider cannot see the boy and his cheeky game. All she could see was a child with polluted blood, and yet, she found herself not enraged by the sheer sight of her. Rather she was intrigued. Jorogumo could think of countless things to ask the filly but she sensed by the tension in the filly’s body language she had pressed into dangerous ground. She felt compassion for the tiny thing. Jorogumo knew the feeling of being out of place and unwanted. Wasn’t that what drove her so easily from the safety of the Basin? Frostfall would come soon and she knew she would be pushed into returning.

“They all question you,” She said not as a question but a statement. “They make you believe you’re inferior because of your wings and perhaps even your age.” She glanced out over the snow feeling a gentle breeze brush against her fur and tossed about thin strands of dark hair across her face. “I should be like them, I should hate you… But all I see with your wings is freedom.” She said. Yes, truly this filly had freedom. Two flaps and she could take off into the skies and simply leave everything behind. There was no limits to where she could wander. As the filly thanked her the dark mare simply nodded her head slowly. “Wear them like armor Kotori, remember, they can’t tie you down with them. They tear you down because you will rise above them. Sometimes we have to see our own value to comprehend our worth.” Did she not see the greatness impending inside? Jorogumo knew one day she would grow wings of her own and take flight.

The Spider listened on as the child went on to explain the recent events. A good ghost? She was bit skeptical but she wouldn’t rain upon the child’s parade. “Oh is he?” She said. “He obviously doesn’t haunt this peak as I’ve come here many a time. Does he follow you?”

"blah blah blah."
@Aithniel @Rikyn

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

The way Aithniel responds to the dark filly is a very traditional response, and I can’t help but find a smirk working itself onto my face. While she may be a freak and hasn’t always had the best of luck in the herd because of it, it has made her pretty tough – its not to say the other one isn’t tough, either, but she also doesn’t have an invisible brother tagging along with her to make sure she’s safe to use her sharp tongue how she wants to.

Or does she? Can you see other invisible people if you, too, are invisible?

When the one with the pale eyes responds, I find my smirk slowly slipping away in partial shock at what she says. It’s a lot of wisdom coming from someone so young, and I glance over at Aithniel to capture her response.

Sometimes I wish I could articulate myself as well as momma or this girl. She has said so many things that I feel inside myself for my sister but cannot say, that I didn’t even realize the words for until I’d just heard them.

She wasn’t broken, not in anyway, just different than the rest of us. And, sometimes, being different could make you great – I’d heard enough stories to piece that together – even if it most often meant you would be disliked and ostracized.

Even if Aithniel had no one… she would always have me.

Especially seeing as she decided to let me keep up my game! I catch her remark and admire her perfect liar’s face, smiling once again with lion’s tail twitching pleasurably and wild thoughts of rampant fun racing through my head. A devilry takes me, muscles gathering as I bound off to the side, sliding in a chaotic way down the shallow bank until I’m deep in a snow drift, the powder high on my sides as I pull together several lumps of snow – or try to, anyway.

The magic that the God has used on me requires amounts of concentration not readily available to a boy when it comes to changing things in reality, and what I manage to make are several really odd snow mounds on the smooth surface of the drift and a quickly melting coating of snow across my nose.

Its cold, but I’m used to such things; with a grunt of determination, I focus on a single mound and actually manage to make a ball shape. With a silent hoorah of victory, I pull myself up from the deep snow and trot about to face it, aiming with a kick at the ball of powder and hoping to send it sailing through the air and at the girls above.

A dance of victory sweeps me as it rushes through the air after impact – but to my dismay, the chaos breaks the layer of snow beneath me and I topple downwards into the drift with a grunt of surprise.

Gods damn it.

Wishlist - Plots

Aithniel

Aithniel listened to this beautiful stranger as the wind brushed through her child's mane that was just starting to fall over, the golden edges catching what little light was left of the day. Her expression remained still, even if this girl's words resonated deep within her sou. How, how could her wings be freedom when they could cause so much destruction. Illynx had told her of the wild, wicked ways of the pegasus, and even now she could feel a fire in a blood that took willpower to tame.

How could this slavery to her own emotion be freedom at all? She tried to shrug off how the stranger made her feel, but the curious glint in her molten silver eyes betrayed the soft movement of her shoulders. "Maybe they think I am inferior," she said. "But Illynx explained to me that they have reason to be, and I need to prove to them that I am not what they fear and dislike - that I am more."

She frowned. "They do not feel like armor," she said, looking down at her wings. "They feel like a war." Aithniel listened then as the topic changed to that of Rikyn, and she smiled, nodding. "Oh, he's a new ghost," she explained further.

Aithniel watched out of the corner of her eye as snow started to build up. What she didn't expect was that it would come flying at her. On instinct, she used her childish wing as a shield and felt the snow hit it. She narrowed her eyes in his direction, jumping forward to pummel her brother, tiny, cloven hooves bared. But, he wasn't there. She saw snow puff, and she quickly ran closer.

"Rikyn!" she cried. Game over. "Are you okay?"

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Selkie

Jorogumo

Jorogumo listened to what the girl said and she felt her blood simply begin to boil. Was not everyone in the eyes of the golden empress inferior? None would equate to the ‘greatness’ she expected, Jorogumo would exceed it. The Spider would surpass all but the gods. One day the Gilded Blade would be but a blip in the spectrum of time and space. All would know of the Spider Queen and her wrath. All would tremble at her feet. Simple unicorns would never be enough.

“Do they?” She said, her words coming out harsher than intended. “You seem perfectly capable to me. You are only inferior if you believe you are. All they hold is an opinion, not fact.” The light in her eyes was fierce and Jorogumo hadn’t felt such passion in some time since her time in isolation. It was so tempting to crush the little bird beneath her hooves. Rip those little feathers and leave her flightless, but , what she saw was so much of herself. A lost little girl thrown aside by the world. Stamped by her youth as weak and unimportant.

The child declared her wings not freedom, but war. Jorogumo wished to shake the child and let her see the splendor of such things. For once, she would hold her tongue. She wouldn’t coddle the babe, but she would drown out the voices that had polluted her young mind. “Then win the war.” She declared. “The only way to maintain freedom is to fight. Wear the things they try to use against you like a shining crown. If you declare it yours and wear it like a badge they cannot harm you. How can there be a war if your defenses are mighty?”

The subject shifted to the ghost. Jorogumo nodded her head slowly, not convinced of this odd occurrence being a mere ghost. There had to be more to the story but she wouldn’t press the subject further. She watched as a ball of snow flew toward them. The Spider flung herself out of the way and watched as the little bird cried out a name and darted forward. She walked herself toward where the girl stood.

“I am guessing it’s safe to say that this isn’t a mere ghost?” The Spider said, her voice more curios than annoyed. She flicked her tail and watched the other filly in utter silence for a moment.

@[Aithniel] @[Rikyn]
"blah blah blah."

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

As the snow swallows me, I hear Aithniel’s shout of worry and can’t even be bothered to feel dismay as the game ends. My little heart is beating rather frantically as I find myself situated a good number of feet beneath the top line of the mound and looking up at the slit of blue sky above me, and while I am okay, I’m rather annoyed with everything quite suddenly.

I can’t have any fun, not even when I finally get a chance to escape momma’s lessons and run about on my own for a while, having adventures with Aithniel or by myself, and that I’ve just made an absolute ass of myself all while ending my own game leaves a little boy rather hostile. My tail lashes around behind me as I get up to my hooves, looking up the snow to find the best way to try and crawl my way out of this stupid predicament, black ears pinned down fast in my growing mane.

Not that anyone can see me, anyway.

Fuck it all.

“I am guessing it’s safe to say that this isn’t a mere ghost?” I hear, crudely mocking her from down at the bottom of my snow hole in a high pitched voice that only I can hear. She’s not really stupid – Aithniel had lied after all – and she didn’t deserve it, but it was better on my conscience to be an ass to someone I didn’t really know rather than my sister who had enough people making fun of her already and I quite simply had to vent on something.

With a vicious snort and final whip of my tail, I plunge upwards and sink halfway into the slope of the snow, sliding back a little ways before I lunge again and again, each time gaining some ground all while sliding down and making the slope easier for me to escape.

After what feels like eons (probably only ten minutes) I’m free, shaking loose the snow that clings to me before trotting over to Aithniel’s side and nudging her with my will focused on her being able to feel it.

It’s the only way she can know I’m nearby aside from the hoof prints in the snow, and I hate it. As much as I dislike being bothered all the time, I do miss getting to be bothered sometimes.

Wishlist - Plots

Aithniel

The stranger's harsh words sent Aithniel's ears flying backwards, and she frowned. She had been to the deserts that she hated and seen the winged ones and their loose tongues. Maybe she did not see enough examples for herself, but she trusted Illynx and the others to tell her the truth. Illynx had told her nothing else but the cold, hard truth. "The winged ones are wild and driven by their tempers, and I have to prove that I am not one of them." Aithniel nodded once, believing what she believed for now.

How could she wear her wings like a crown when she saw them as a curse? They were not some symbol that she could use to lord over them because she did not want to lord over them at all. All she wanted was to fit in. Still, what this stranger was saying made sense, and she tried to reconcile the two truths in her head with little success. "I... I guess so. I just want to belong," she finally admitted, frowning. "Maybe... maybe I can be brave like you say one day, but I don't want that now."

Little did she know that she would be forced to change not long after this conversation. But, they were interrupted by Rikyn, and Aithniel's concern rang through the Steppe in her small, child-like voice, jumping to try to find her invisible brother. What if he were to truly get hurt and she could never find him again? The thought made her want to cry. Only minutes later when Rikyn's nose pressed against her side did she calm down, and Aithniel took a deep breath, shoving her face into her brother's side.

Thank you... whoever watches over him... Praying felt kind of weird, but really, someone deserved thanks.

The stranger's question urges a nod from Aithniel. "He is my brother," she said with a big smile. "Rikyn. He's invisible, which is really cool, but I get worried."

"I love my brother." Certainly, he would know that.

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive