the Rift

Red leaf | Ricoface

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

Darkness fell in a curtain of stars that night, the soft autumn moon casting soft light upon the gently rolling Foothills. Snow had fallen in the high places, the mountain peeks stark white. A chill brushed against his thickening hide; the cold tongue of winter, a foretelling, a warning. Winter is coming.

The Bronze had informed his colt about a particularly sour discourse that day. Leadership had changed hands - from silver to black-red, the dragon had said with all seriousness, perching on his withers lightly. There was battle, he trilled, giving his tail a secretive twitch. Much blood, then black-red call flock together. Aunt-mother with blue cast from flock.

Smoke? the colt wondered, dumbfounded. What had this black-red done? He snorted, continuing onto a walk. Dying grass parted for feathered red legs. Yes. And young horse challenge black-red for throne. Has been said, Dei concluded, flapping his large webbed wings with fervor. The moonlight spread over his powerful shoulders like a coat, pooling on his metallic scales in dull shades of bronze. A cool breeze tumbled through the valley, whistling through the notch in his ear and chilling his bones.

The encounter with the ghost mare seemed like a past nightmare, but he could still taste the blood, feel the ache of his shoulder, see her haunting dead eyes in the dark face. Bronze bristled at their shared memory, hissing as the boy recalled her ugly face. She is prey now, mere rabbit.

'If only.'

A red leaf blew past them, the red dun and his bronze dragon strangely pale and blue under the diffused light of the moon.

They mourned.
"talk talk talk"

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

Through the dark he ran.

It was not a new sensation for the stallion. The dark had often comforted him in his youth and running was often a solution, although not in the most direct sense. The only time he had ever run away was following the physically damaging and emotionally wearing battle with Smoke. Otherwise Ricochet tended to run towards things, not from them.

Tonight he ran because his body demanded it.

Leaving Kimber nestled in the pocket of a tree and a grassy slope, he'd brushed her forehead with his whiskers and then slipped away from her side. What had started as a walk to clear his mind had shifted into a trot to burn the anxiety from his legs. That soon became a canter to waste the fire still roiling in his gut, the after effects of that meeting still tossing around inside of him. The canter had become a gallop in a matter of strides - if he ran fast enough maybe all of his thoughts, all of his worries, all of his faults would be left behind in the dust.
And then he could burn it.

He ran to, towards the dawn. The rise of the day would bring an inevitable shift and he sensed his call for a challenge would hold in the golden light. His body needed the chance to grow limber and for the muscles to bulk with the brief exertion. He was fit by all means, traveling had seen to that, though it had been some time since he truly fought. Concern on that regard did not consume him however, youthful arrogance saw to that.

Running hooves brought a sound like thunder over the plains as the dunskin streaked across the grass. He moved like liquid gold, his shadow sailing beside him. Far behind him now slept Kimber, Guns watchful at her side. Ahead of him, a red leaf danced on the wind. The same wind that knotted his mane and fanned out his tail. The same breeze that cut into his eyes and pinched at his face. Squinting, he only just barely made out the figure.

He slowed, tiredness already starting to set in as a line of sweat darkened his nape and his flanks. Wary to encounter anyone after that meeting, Ricochet was nonetheless curious. He did not know this herd and already many an ally, of sorts, had popped up. Where did this lone figure stand in that sense?

As he slowed his sight sharpened. In the poor light of the night however, he could not well make out the colt he'd never met. For a fleeting moment he even thought the figure Evangeline, the shape of the dragon above leading his mind to wander - surely she was not here in this herd with him. Nearly laughing at himself Ricochet trotted towards the stallion, his voice strong but friendly. "Hey ther-" Stopping short Ricochet gawked as he pulled alongside the other. Teal eyes widened with disbelief, nose flaring to gather as much scent as he could. The dragon! The pieces fell into place rapidly and in his excitement Ricochet surged forward to embrace the stallion in a hug of chests and necks, his throat whinnying out the name. "Jackal!"

R I C O C H E T
I only want you to see | My favorite part of me
And not my ugly side, not my ugly side

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

I had not seen you since Isilme.

It was like my heart leaped straight from my chest and into my mouth, the emotions pouring rapidly over me as I catch sight of you, the buttermilk boy of my dreams. You had been running, though your pace comes to a slow trot, your sculpted muscles working silently underneath sleek, brown fur, flattened with a waterfall of sweat. How long have you been running, my love?

I see your eyes, those teal stones, as they fall to observe the body of the boy not far from you. My ears slick back onto my pole, as I do not approve of your attention being so obviously directed at another. Your eyes scan him, looking for a name to go with the face that haunts your memory. I know this boy is Jackal, son of your bitch sister Aerwen, who always thought herself better of you even though I know this is not a fact. Your rivalry was nothing but kindness on your part, for she could never best you, my love, never. It takes you a moment to know, but it seems the similarities finally make themselves known, and you find a name in the recesses of your mind.

My heart leaps from my throat to my gut, as I am crestfallen at the joy in your voice. You are so pleased, sweet, darling Ricochet, to meet your family here. I know that it is a miracle to you now, since your beloved father had relented to the shadow creatures that plagued our home. Gunslinger the Unbroken, your father, finally let slip his sanity, and the broken reality he lived in pulled him apart at the seams. How very ironic.

My limbs move forward in the shadows of the night quietly, edging closer behind a tree that is nearer to where you stand, my love. My dark color hides my body well in low light of Orangemoon, but it would make no difference if you saw me. My dear buttermilk boy, I do not believe we have ever formerly met. You would not recognize my face like I recognized yours, and you would never feel the warmth that you feel toward Jackal upon seeing me.

I was unimportant, but that did not matter. My heart still claws at my ribcage as I edge closer, nostrils flaring to pick up on the scent of your body from here. Oh, how I longed to stand by your side proudly, Ricochet. How I longed to be the only one that you see.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
jackal nudge
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.