the Rift

[OPEN] Old Dogs and New Trickery [Riddle Game]

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

Roland had not expected to find himself upon the floating island again so soon, after having just left it. In fact, he had hoped he’d seen the last of it when he’d departed for the Aurora Basin in the early weeks of autumn. It was unnerving to know there was no absolute substance beneath his feet, and he had been in no hurry to return. But his home was no longer deemed safe to host the celebrations, and if there was a risk of peril than the Thief was more than happy to be out of its reach for the time being. Even if that meant stepping foot on Caela Insula once more.

Luckily, he would not have to look far for a distraction from the gravity defying earth beneath him; Roland and his colleague were about to hold a contest, one of furtive pursuits, to test and try any who were willing to hone their minds to the nuances of trickery. This trial befell them in the form of a game, not of charades or pantomimes, fervent impersonations or sly pick pocketing, but in the verse of riddles. And their sport was not limited to the few who called themselves Phantoms and Impersonators, those who delved in the art of thievery and espionage. Any under the flag of the Basin, as well as their guests, were welcome to try their hand at the guessing game.

The Thief had chosen the field beyond the tents to hold their contest, the sun casting its golden rays across the flats as the autumn wind buffeted the wildflowers. Much to his relief, Roland was not the sole instigator in this competition, and as he paused upon the grass he cast an apprehensive glance at Thranduil. Balancing upon the precipice of their challenge, the Thief lifted his head to release a call into the crisp air. “Citizens and allies of the Aurora Basin! Join us in a game of riddles.

Then he turned to his partner in crime, casting a mischievous smile towards the Phantom, and invited him to introduce the first riddle. “Will you do the honors?

---

WELCOME TO THE SLY N’ SLEUTH GAME

PLAYER RULES
-All players must post once ICly their arrival. You have 48 hours from this post to ‘arrive’.
-After your arrival post, all following “posts” will be OOC through PM’s to whoever posed the stealth. (Example: If Thranduil posted the riddle you will send your answer and reasoning to him.)
-After each stealth is posted you have 48 hours to send in your answer, or you’re out for that round. Reasoning must be given for how you solved the riddle, the same as when solving a stealth. (Note: You may re-enter in the next round, but Basin sleuth members must reply to all in order to receive training points for the herd contest.)
-You are not limited to IC knowledge! This works like the real stealth boards where you have omnipotent knowledge of other characters.
-The leader who posed the stealth will post the winners and correct answers after 48 hours.
-Each player will receive 1 point for each correct reasoning.
-The time for the next round begins when the leader poses the next stealth.

PRIZES
-Prizes will be given for the most points after 4-6 rounds (depending on entrant numbers).
-Player with most points wins!
-1st place will receive a full manip by Hawk, or commission by artist of their choice (as long as valued under $15 USD).
2nd place will receive foal stats (no magic).
3rd place will receive a moon amulet.

LEADER RULES
-Leaders of the game are Roland and Thranduil.
-At the start of each round, the leader is responsible for declaring the correct answer to the previous round.
-Leaders receive a point for each correct guess of their solution.
-Leader with the least points wins!

(Thranduil will post after the participants have arrived.)

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather
While Lena could gleam and tuck away a score of secrets, a nuance of sentiments never cast aloft or shared, her deceptive qualities primarily ended there. She didn’t travel through murky paths or daunting trails to abscond arcane, encoded treaties. She didn’t seize, possess, or summon secluded demons, pry pawns away from game boards or sever an unnecessary peon. Not one to shatter the world with charades, masquerades, cloaks and daggers, she normally left the throngs of mischief and clandestine covers to those warranted their surreptitious merits, chieftains of covert affairs and silent, unsung shadows. However, amidst the revelry, the jaunty, jovial pursuits, she sought to amble into each and every possible opportunity of merriment - to embody, to encompass, to ensure she’d somehow bettered herself amongst the exotic refinement and ambling games. A battle of wits, a pursuit of intelligence, a musing amongst the sector of sneaky figures and dodging foils, meant for entertainment, for amusement, coursed along her cranium in winsome delight, and perhaps, much like everything on this fervid evening, she was eager for everyone to be granted their wondrous solace. Whether this was through guile, through duplicity, and mere happenstance, meeting with companions in a dais of war without blood, without ichor, without reeling violence and mutinous gallows, she followed the call of their gilded Thief, wandering amongst the bulrushes and wildflowers, crowned in blooms and smiles. Even Thranduil, who still drew apprehensive vines along her spine, couldn’t dissuade her presence from prevailing into the mist, and the two, Imogen and nymph, dissolved into the arena, stretching towards the setting sun. She soaked in every opportunity for repose, for joviality (because when would they have another chance, when salvation could be struck down moments later?), seizing the whirlwind benedictions and stalwart, beatific ministrations. With her head tucked towards both, the masters of ceremonies and subterfuge, kings of chicanery where she had no diadem, her enlightened shroud reeled back upwards in an effervescent glow. The sylph, perhaps out of place, regarded the realm with the same zealous passion she sculpted, molded, and finessed in life, ardently humming a brilliant tune to acknowledge her pursuits. “I’d be willing to take part!”

her passions are made of nothing but the finest part of pure love
LENA
Credit URL

Vale Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
VALE

His bone coloured hooves touched down on solid rock, unnerving to be up so high with no thought to gravity. His shook out his splintered crown upsetting the small snowflakes in his mane, glittering around him in the golden rays. It was one thing to climb to the top pf mountain and look down to the earth far below you knowing solid rock stood fast beneath your hooves. But here, standing at the precipice of the world with nothing but space beneath you was not a thought Vale wanted to dwell on.

It had been a strange few days, stranger still being here on this floating rock but he had cause for a distraction, a little amusement and what better way than to go looking for trouble himself. Golden honey orbs look out on his surroundings beneath his hollow crown; it was a peaceful place for all its physics defying foundations. Snow still fell softly in little flurries and his breath frosted white clouds on the exhale. But Vale didn’t mind the cold; it cleared his head and flushed his system.

A small gathering drew him to the middle of the field, curiosity always overriding manners or caution every time. He heard the call of a challenge, one of spoken words and hidden meanings, a game to be played. The dark wolf approached the three with glowing mischief. The golden man, Thranduil he had met before and gave him a nod of recognition but the other two he had not. “Well hello brothers and sister” referring to the crowns upon their heads as relations “riddles you say? Well I’m game” He grinned.

"Talking"

Table Credit From the lovely Sevin

Image Credit

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

A party? Yes please? Who's birthday? The Time Gods. I dance around, my small frame taking me from place to place. Blue eyes taking in all that surrounds me. I can't get enough. I cannot seem to take it all in. But then small harks catch a strangers voice, and I turn towards the sound. Small little hooves pick up, and a tiny head is held high as I prance towards the voices.

Where I arrive there seems to be some sort of game starting up. And there are only two players thus far. My small body pushes to the front. Looking at the other players I decide upon the kind looking mare, compared to the black stud. Flicking my tail, I move closer to her, before turning to look at the bronze man, and the golden man.

"I should like to play this game as well, please!" I say, and my voice sounds small compared to all the others. I turn to look towards mother, who's large black and blue form stands near, watching. She gives a nod of approval, before I return my gaze to the bronze man who spoke. He is smaller than the other stud, but in my opinion he's prettier than the golden boy. I look at the golden boy now, as he is the one who will be proposing the riddle.

Riddles? I love riddles. I also loved poems. The thing about poems, is that they where riddles too, just in a much more eloquent form.

"talk talk talk talk "

Tagged:
Words: 252 words
Notes: Glacia wants to join!

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Adelric Posts: 101
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3hh :: 1.5 [Birdsong]
Tobias :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Sevin
The half-child arrives on the scene silently, watching the others with curious eyes. He is waiting for Zunden to arrive, waiting so that they can travel together with their father to the Basin, waiting so that they can leave behind everything they have ever known and embark upon a new journey in their lives. They cannot be separated, for their whole lives have been lived as one; that is why the half-child must leave behind his mother, his beloved panther baby-sitter, and start anew. Not that he begrudges Zunden for the change- he has his own reasons for wanting to go as well. But he is eager, and he wonders what takes the little child so long to come, but he must remind himself to be patient. He hasn’t found their mother yet anyway, even though the seasons grow short, and he can’t leave without saying goodbye to their mother.

At any rate, he supposes while he waits he can try to have some fun. He’s not much on parties- the chaos is a bit much for him- but the idea of a riddle game set away from the main celebration is something he can get into. Lifting his head, with horn growing ever-longer, the half-child inserts himself into the fray. Bi-hued eyes look between participants and he knows already that he will lose, but perhaps he will learn something here on this day that he did not know before. Knowledge is what makes the world go round, he is convinced, so he will play and take his failure in stride. “I’ll play,” he chimes softly, waiting for what comes next.

OOC| Hope I’m not too late x.x
Adelric
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Adelric at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Adelric unless it is in an opening post

Panzram Posts: 64
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 8 Tallsuns HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Xyroca

Although I was still a fresh face to the Aurora Basin, even the newcomers could not escape the talk and excitement about the festival open to purely the unicorns. While I was typically someone who did their best to avoid such parties, I figured that this was as good a time as any to meet new faces and make my presence known, for I heard even unicorns outside of the Basin were welcomed. Out of curiousity, I managed to drag myself to the festival to see what all the hubbub was about. I passed various unicorns of all shapes, sizes and horns, making a mental note of interesting ones that I should like to get to know better. I would pause to look into the tents, exploring the area as I tried to decide what I wanted to do first. But as a voice called out to the party-goers, my interest peaked. ’Join us in a game of riddles.’ Why, I don’t mind if I do!

Quietly I joined the small crowd that was circling before the announcer, feeling a bit out of place next to some of the perky members. I cleared my throat awkwardly as I recognized the familiar face of Thranduil, lips tugging into a smirk as I realized he was assisting in this little guessing game. My muzzle dipped to my chest in a respectful nod, doing my best to play nice and mask my cocky attitude for the time being. I was not here to ruin the party for everyone, I was here to actually join in on the fun…Who would have thought I would be trying to have fun in ways that didn’t involve getting laid or picking fights. But this was a battle of wits, with the conman himself leading the way. Indeed, I was quite interested by now.“I do hope I am not too late to join in.”

Please tag Panzram in first posts only. Violence and magic can be used on him, just please do not kill or permanently injure/maim.

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

Her darling sleuths had been at work while she had been busy with visual aspects of the Festival – with delight she turns from her conversations and the merriment to be had at the tent to discover both Roland and Thranduil present and hosting a get together of stealthy minds, and with a broad grin that flashes and gleams despite the dark worries in her heart, she trots over to the gathering of people who arrive to take part in their fun.

She herself dallied in riddles from time to time, and while she was doubtful that she could compare to some of the thieves within her fold if they were to show up at the festivities, she was willing to take part in the fun if for no other reason than to spend time in good company.

As she approaches she spies many she knows – sweet Lena, young Glacia, even the wolfish gentleman that had arrived to the Basin only to flee certain death and the man who had come with the crazy one. Equally exciting, however, is that there is a face among the gathering that didn’t belong to the Basin, his smell heavy in that of the wilderness and his age somewhere near that of her own son.

Even Kyst is caught up in all the excitement, her usual stern expression eager and amused as she floats in from above, having been sent back down to the Basin to gather an amulet from her master’s armor. The yellow stone gleams happily as the cat creature ambles along her companion’s bare back to hand the trinket over, Illynx grasping it in her smiling teeth as she closes the distance between herself and Roland.

Placing the amulet in the grass alongside the Thief, she nods greeting and then turns to join the rest for the game. For the winners! she chimes happily, halting alongside Lena with an eager expression on her face for the games to begin.

[ OOC: Illynx is donating a Sun Amulet to the prize list! ]

I L L Y N X               

let me guide you home

image by bunnie.
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk

The stage had been set, the plans laid well. The change of location didn’t harm the enterprise much, as the two bodies were all that needed to be moved. The golden son, being one, could not be happier to get it out of that damned cold, and here on more peaceful grounds. It did not concern him much the trouble any such game should cause. He was simply delighted to have lured the copper man into the game at all. Not to mention to brush off some of his skills, and show that even when rusty they could competitive against the Thief. Always trying to get higher in the ranks and needs of the Basin, this was suiting him just fine. Higher and higher, until his presence was desired, even needed.

So the golden man joins his copper twin on the hillside by the festival. Good humor having been restored through seeing his lady’s little plans come to fruition. Her tables of food placed out, and dancing and song getting started for the long night to come. It was all so quaint and, well, knowing the real heart of his lady, humorous. The turnout seemed hit or miss. Could you really blame his herd mates? Most were not exactly party unicorns, and certainly had chosen the hide away in the mountains for a reason. Still, if his lady was happy then the gold would let his lady live in whatever little fantasy she choose.

Copper turns to the gold with a smile as the crowd, however slim, begins to gather. The sweet thing, and Blackie himself are the first to gather. The gold nods to the mellow bay, his own apprehensions of her curious at her arrival here, but Blackie was not much of a surprise and only receives a smirk from those golden lips. One of the Basin’s many fillies, and an outcast sun, whose markings were eerily familiar. At last that damned stuck up Panzram. The gold resisted pinning his harks at the blanketed one. That arrogant bastard had unfortunately not been mauled by Deimos. Shame, better use of his flesh. Oh but play nice boys. The gold returns the nod of his head. At last his lady joins the game. She too, the gold noticed, got her a pet. Jolly joy. Still, she brings a gift, a prize for their winners. The gold smiles and nods thanks, picking up the trinket, and placing it with his own which would be given away. Now at last all seemed to have arrived. The copper turns again to the gold and sly man’s speaks.

“Take care in how you guess, this riddle will test the best.”

“Caramels and Crèmes stamped from France
Born without, now it forever burns in orange.
Now you find the power in words.
It’s best though that you see the worst,
Not all of us have such virginal thoughts.”

OOC :: YOU HAVE 48 HOURS, to send your answer and reason to Hawk (myself). Remember you have OOC knowledge, and get points for reasoning’s, not right answers. Good luck!
Also, thank you Bunnie for donating the Sun Amulet! It has been added to the second place prize!

@[Lena] @[Vale] @[Glacia] @[Adelric] @[Illynx] @[Roland]

"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

“Time is up among yourselves,
See now the riddle revealed well.”

Thranduil’s riddle sought EVANGELINE
Remember though, you get points for correct reasons, not answers.

Caramels and Crèmes stamped from France
1-APPERANCE REF:: Evangeline is a flaxen (crème) chestnut (caramel), with a flour de lis on her shoulder which is a common stamp for France.

Born without, now it forever burns in orange.
2-HISTORY/COMPANION REF:: Counting this as one. Was born without a loved one, but now has a bonded orange dragon, hence, burns.

Now you find the power in words.
3-PERSONALITY/RANK REF:: Count this as one. Says this on her profile but also could refer to her rank as emissary.

It’s best though that you see the worst,
4-PERSONALITY REF:: On her profile that she often see the worst in others

Not all of us have such virginal thoughts.”
5-LT REF:: She is the pure, so pure thoughts, virginal thoughts.

Panzram correctly solved reasons 1,2,3,4, for a total of four points!
Lena correctly solved reasons 1,2,3,4 for a total of four points!
Illynx correctly solved reasons 1,2,3 for a total of three points!
Adelric correctly solved reasons 1,3 for a total of two points!
Vale and Glacia failed to respond in time, so receive no points for this round.

Three players correctly guessed the answer, so Thranduil has a total of three points!

Congratulations, and good luck to everyone in the next round. If you have any questions still over the game, PLEASE feel free to PM me. This is so much fun though!

The golden son looks amused having stumped some, and yet ignores the looks of others who correctly guessed. Especially the blanketed man, though his lady did get a polite smile and nod. Having taken the points, the golden looks to the copper man. ”You’re up.”

"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Glo

Their game did not attract a significantly large crowd. Even so the Thief was not perturbed by the size of their audience, no matter how small. He was much more at ease when there were not so many eyes turned upon him, and it was a great relief still to find some familiar faces in the mix. Roland didn’t bother to hide his smile when Lena approached with Imogen in tow, casting a furtive wink in their direction before turning his attention to the rest of the gathering. A few young faces stood amongst them, as well as some the Thief did not recognize, but he welcomed them all with a bow of his head, disguising the apprehension he felt twitching beneath his skin. His restless gaze followed Illynx as she approached and placed something in the grass at his side, the jewels upon the amulet glinting in the midday light. The Thief turned an appreciative glance towards the GildedBlade, dipping his head in thanks.

Once they had all arrived and fallen still, Roland’s gaze turned to the Phantom at his side. He listened as the first conundrum was posed, but did not approach it with the same level of analysis as those gathered. The Thief’s riddle was already tucked away in the back of his mind, and once the first round had finished he stepped forwards, turning a devious look upon the congregation.

Lock up your emotions
Hide in plain sight
Tread upon air
You are only half right.

OOC :: YOU HAVE 48 HOURS to send your answer and reasoning to Glo!

@[Lena] @[Vale] @[Glacia] @[Adelric] @[Illynx]

Image Credit

Glo

GHOST was sought
Points were awarded for correctly interpreting a clue.

”Lock up your emotions
1 - Was taught to hide all emotion.

Hide in plain sight
2 – From profile: She appears rather transparent. One you wouldn't look twice at.

Tread upon air
3 – Wings reference.

You are only half right.”
4 – She is a hybrid, and the daughter of a racist Unicorn.

Lena correctly solved reasons 1,2,3,4 for a total of eight points!
Illynx correctly solved reasons 1,3,4 for a total of six points!
Panzram correctly solved reason 3 for a total of five points!
Adelric correctly solved reasons 1,3 for a total of four points!
Vale and Glacia failed to respond in time, so receive no points for this round.

Two players correctly guessed the answer, so Roland has a total of two points!

Congratulations and good luck to you all in the next round!

Image Credit

“Time is running out, now my riddle is my last route.”

“Earth wrapped in dyes of death, plain though they may be,
Black ties holds the ghost of sight,
Maternal blood curses, causing father to encourage the cruelties,
Militant short tempers dashed by inexperience,
Hot summer days turned to lonely nights.”

OOC :: YOU HAVE 48 HOURS, to send your answer and reason to Hawk (myself).
PLEASE NOTE:: there will only be four rounds, meaning this is second to last.
@[Lena] @[Vale] @[Glacia] @[Adelric] @[Illynx] @[Roland]

"speech"

credits

“Time is up among yourselves,
See now the riddle revealed well.”

Thranduil’s riddle sought MEGAERA
Remember though, you get points for correct reasons, not answers.

Earth wrapped in dyes of death, plain though they may be,
1-APPERANCE REF:: Earth=brown, wrapped in dyes of death=black extremities. So a bay, and admitted plain, which Megaera admits on her profile.

Black ties holds the ghost of sight
2- ITEM REF:: Carries a bone eye socket of a horse on black strings in her mane. (Due to miss leading, blindness, as long as on black coat, was accepted)

Maternal blood curses, causing father to encourage the cruelties
3-HISTORY REF:: The mother was according to the clue of scorned blood, Megaera’s mother was an Arabian in a herd of drafts. Her father then encouraged all the taunting of her size in order to make her ‘stronger’.

Militant short tempers dashed by inexperience
4-PERSONALITY REF:: Words, militant, short temper, and inexperienced are all in bold points on her profile.

Hot summer days turned to lonely nights
5-HERD REF:: Was part of DT in the summer, but is now a loner.

Panzram correctly solved reasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for a total of ten points!
Lena correctly solved reasons 1,4 for a total of ten points!
Adelric correctly solved reasons 1, 2, 4 for a total of seven points!
Illynx failed to respond, but carries a total of six points from previous rounds.
Glacia correctly solved reasons 1, 4 for a total of two points!
Vale failed to respond in time, so receive no points for this round.

One player correctly guessed the answer, so Thranduil has a total of four points!

Good luck contestants on the next round! It will be the last in the game!

"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

Glo

No comfort in an awkward chassis
You won’t spill blood unjustified
Your nightmares became reality
Are you still rotting deep inside?

OOC :: YOU HAVE 48 HOURS to send your answer and reasoning to Glo!
This is the final round. Good luck!

@[Lena] @[Vale] @[Glacia] @[Adelric] @[Illynx]

Image Credit

Glo

SIKEAX was sought
Points were awarded for correctly interpreting a clue.

”No comfort in an awkward chassis
1 - Sikeax feels her body is too big for her liking, and is built awkwardly.

You won’t spill blood unjustified
2 - Would never harm another creature without good reason.

Your nightmares became reality
3 - Is terrified of death and decay. She spent some time as a wraith, the embodiment of her fears.

Are you still rotting deep inside?.”
4 - Suffered from a sickness brought on by the changing of seasons. She also refers to her depression as a disease.

Lena correctly solved reason 2 for a total of eleven points!
Panzram failed to respond in time. He has a total of ten points!
Adelric failed to respond in time. He has a total of seven points!
Illynx failed to respond in time. She has a total of six points!
Glacia failed to respond in time. She has a total of two points!
Vale failed to respond in time, so he receives no points for this round.

No players correctly guessed the answer, so Roland has a total of two points!

Lena finished in first place, and will receive a full manip by Hawk, or commission by artist of her choice (as long as valued under $15 USD).
Panzram finished in second place, and will receive foal stats (no magic) and a sun amulet.
Adelric finished in third place, and will receive a moon amulet.

Congratulations, and thanks to you all for participating!

Image Credit