the Rift

[OPEN] And then there was ice....

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The roar of the falls, ever present in the cooling air, provided a perfect background to leave something for safety. A beautiful, blue bird with elegantly long tail feathers and a crown of blue and gold jewels landed on a nearby tree at the foot of a beautiful waterfall. Mists rolled around her, and she quickly made a nest in the tree, placing her prized possession in the brambles.

The egg was stunning, a gorgeous blue and white surface nestled tightly in the newly made nest. She looked upon it with love and tenderness before falling from the tree, dead. Nature was stunningly beautiful but also incredibly tragic. Death was just as natural as living, but when it happened so suddenly and without reason, the beauty seemed to dim into regret and fear.

But still, something was left. Something perfect in the darkness. A little light from the shadow of calamity. It was waiting for just a single one. \

@[Midas]

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
take away the pain inflicted on me, the hunger you're letting me feed
I felt a stirring in my soul. Like a hum that never faded in my ears or a shadow racing from discovery in the corner of my eye. Lids widened, opening to reveal a pit of honey, a pit of gold. Irises unnaturally bidden to have a solid core. Gaze rose to the heavens, expectantly as if my soul was waiting for an answer. Would a god appear this night? Fina was also awake. She is lashed in a nearby oak whose branches have been thinned by Orangemoon and currently stood nearly vacant of canopy. The firebird followed my gaze, those startling aqua pools narrowed, then slide back to me with unreadable befuddlement lurking in our unspoken way.

Her body and soul felt it...

Instinct and a feeling urgency drew me from my bed. I turned to follow a familiar trail that would eventually lead me down to the water. Velvet ears swiveled round, picking up on the sounds of the forest. My companion followed overhead, slowly gliding in large circles and keeping a wary watch from above. A waterfall thundered ahead and moments later I caught sight of it through the timber.

For whatever reason a shiver ran down my spine and I trembled. Nerves? Anticipation? Anxiety? I didn’t pause to wonder. Patched limbs pressed forward nevertheless and after a second or two the trees broke their cover. The roaring of water and the pool that gathered below wasn’t what caught my attention first, nay, nestled beneath a tree was the body of an avian. I stopped, Fina fell from the sky like a flaming meteorite. Her talons found flesh to straddle.

“What is it?”

A question that I didn’t answer for many long moments and when the words finally came my reply was soft and sad, “A Zephyr, I think.” its fragile body was no less glorious even in death. Those beautiful blue feathers still seemed to glow, as if in remembrance of life. Fina shuffled from my spine and flew toward the broken bird, her gaze was surprisingly tender. “We should bury it, so it doesn’t get eaten…” Fina landed near the blue zephyr, her sorrow a mimic of my own.

Before I could reply, something in the tree above this fallen angel caught my eye; glancing up I noticed a thick bunch of leaves, sticks and bramble clinging to the corner of many lean branches. A nest? Calling upon magic I summoned sand from the basin of earth, drawing around the tree and surrounding the well-made nest in a sort of cradle. With gentle coxes and tugs I aimed to pull the nest free and lower it gently to the ground.

Table by Neo, Art by Dark

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A single, little egg in a wicker frame is lifted from the tree by his mouth, and it sat quietly, not needing anything in particular, for this little egg liked the cold. Midas had found it, and even before it hatched it knew its home and its future. Who needed a parent when love like this was given so freely?

With a puff of ice the body of the blue bird melted, as if she was constructed from the very essence of winter. The cloud of frosty air swirled around Midas' face and Fina's fiery feathers before disappearing into the evening sky.

Congratulations! You have a new common arctic zephyr egg to take care of for 2 weeks before hatching.
The only stipulation is that you have to use your dual companion prize on your prizes list in order for this egg to hatch.
When you get a chance, please post your choice and any relevant companion info on the character record's update page

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
take away the pain inflicted on me, the hunger you're letting me feed
It was different from Fina’s egg. Yar, she had been encased in a creamy shell without markings to distinguish what creature rested inside. This one was white and blue, the hues of northerners. I gently lowered the bundle to earth, cradling it tenderly. From the moment I laid eyes upon this site my soul had realized the gravity of what was about to occur – it weighted upon my mind now. Questions, doubts. Was it even possible for a spirit to be split again? A bond was meant to last a lifetime, yar, and there was usually only one capable of forming such a bond in a single lifetime. Yet here was another little guide – it sought the mate to its soul and found mine a suitable receptor.

I frowned a little, glancing toward the broken mother and my brilliant companion who was now watching the egg with steady interest. It was in that moment that said mother vanished from our view; nay, not vanished. Melted! Into the ground. A flurry of ice and snow rose on the breeze, gleefully it came forward to tease the fur around my muzzle. Fina chortled, surprised. Her mighty wings spread as if to take flight; yet her talons are still firmly grounded.

After a moment the zephyr was gone from view and the feeling of her presence had also faded. We were alone. Fina turned to me, wordlessly I met her gaze with a small smile forming.

Looks like we were going to have more than one little voice in our minds…and soon.

Table by Neo, Art by Dark

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]