Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born
</style>

Maskan stares back at him from deep eyes. This fellow is too alike his mentor, too strong a reminder that Kaj had failed to keep his family safe. His brother had not returned, disappeared into the mist alongside Mirage. The pain is too much for him, the only thing that can possibly distract him from the throbbing of his knee. Adrenaline pumps like molasses in his blood as the slow of time speeds rapidly back to the present. Kaj remembers his distraction with Confutatis, the fear of her magically induced visions, and curses himself. It’s not the appropriate time to be thinking of his mentor, of the family he’s failed. Even if it gives him the sorrow to fuel his fight, it’s not worth the potential injury. Still, Kaj can’t help but hate Bronze even more for resembling his mentor at all. It’s a cruel memento.

Sweeping his left wing serves a dual purpose then, shielding Bronze’s face and forcing him away in a flurry of feathers. The onslaught of sand stings Kaj’s chest, but the dark glare is unheeded. His attack is unfinished, and Kaj cared little for his feelings anyways. This was a battle, not a therapy session. As if he could see Bronze’s glare anyways with how close they were, how quickly Kaj was moving despite his bulk and size. What he did have was his weight, and it seemed to successfully cause Bronze grievance. Teeth rang with contact, jarring the slur of thoughts. Pain, and then a gush of blood is upon his teeth, thick and hot on his tongue. Sick satisfaction filled him. It was a just punishment for portraying the ghost of Kaj’s mentor through his genes. Bronze was not Maskan, but if Kaj didn’t focus and instead succumbed to the maelstrom of his failures, he’d be felled in moments. A giant tree, prey to the axe of the unicorn’s horns.

Tang of iron on tongue and gruff noise of pain drew Kaj from his drifting thoughts. As big as Bronze was, Kaj was a little shocked to see him retreat so swiftly. Though it was definitely amusing; a giant dog with tail tucked between legs. Puritan bastard. Not so perfect, are you? Blame him for his reverse racism, but Kaj couldn’t care less in that moment. Again with the cursed wandering thoughts! Maskan would’ve beaten him into the ground with a fond ‘duckling’ comment for such airheadedness. He’d done exactly that, in their spar. Kaj ruefully smiled to himself, a further lesson surfacing in his head. Don’t remain still; always move. Maskan had never been wrong. So despite the throb of his knee, Kaj needed only the power of his hind legs to joust himself forth in pursuit. Don’t let him rest, keep him on his toes. Maskan’s voice was thick in his head, as clear as if he was there whispering advice into Kaj’s ear. It was the king’s only comfort, to imagine such. Even as he obeyed the advice from the past, charging forth with a heavy lean to the right. His knee was a vital joint, and he wouldn’t dare to stress it any further. Plus it allowed a freer change of direction to put some space between them.

Curving back in to the left after a sweeping arc to the right, Kaj’s eyes narrowed upon the bulge of keratin from Bronze’s brow, distrustful. Bronze kicked back into motion, and Kaj lost track of the previously apathetic companion at the brute’s side. He was far more interested in the danger presented by those horns. The swing of Bronze’s head caught Kaj off guard only a little. He didn’t seem the type to remain still for very long, after all. So far to the right due to his knee, the threat wasn’t as strong, but Kaj clamped his wings down tight against his belly regardless. At least he could prevent the softer feathers from ripping free, clamped as they were. The curved outside and directional force of the main bone would dissuade the horns better.

The appearance of the wolf startled him. Kaj leapt to the right, Bronze’s head swinging past, merely disturbing his wings. Kaj planted his forelegs into the earth, wincing as his left knee protested, and crow hopped a shallow kick at the dog. Using the shortened time span of attack, he resumed his briefly interrupted momentum to swing hard to the left. His left knee buckled on the next full gait, and Kaj didn’t fight it as he thrust hard with his good right leg in an attempt to get close enough to ram Bronze in the injured area, the wolfdog’s fangs lightly nicking his left fetlock. It’d worked well in the past, ramming Maskan in the ribs. Maybe it’d do him well a second time.

{799/800} && {2/3}

Notes:

I wasn't tagged so I missed this, hope the delay is acceptable!

1. I tried to shorten my sentences and be more concise. I think my emotion might have suffered, however.

2. Definitely tried to do better on the damage number! But now I'm afraid I underplayed it too much. It's hard to find a good balance. So I had his knee buckle to cause himself partial pain, and a nick to the fetlock to cover the other half? I don't know if that's acceptable.

3. Tried to be more specific in my attack to bring the battle past in, with ramming Maskan in the ribs being effective and him attempting to replicate it with Ulrik. Is that what you meant?

@[Ulrik]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-01-2014, 02:37 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 10-01-2014, 10:12 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 10-05-2014, 03:29 AM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-06-2014, 01:09 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 10-10-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 11-02-2014, 02:25 AM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Official - 11-20-2014, 12:15 AM