Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born
</style>

Kaj was getting seriously tired of Bronze consistently running away. He’d been the one awaiting a battle. Was he a coward? What drove him to seek out the exchange of blows if he was going to run away like a damned fool the entire time? With a grit of his teeth he lunged for the insolent child, knee buckling as the bruise throbbed upon his delicate joint. What happened was too fast for Kaj to comprehend, his mind clouded with adrenaline as it was. Bronze was too limber for Kaj to effectively catch, he must’ve evaded somehow. Confusion was an undercurrent to the sudden typhoon of frustration that crested in his head. Why didn’t it work? was drowned out by a slew of curses too profane to be detailed concerning the constant dodging and taunting of the idiotic bronze brute. But his attack had thrown his balance too hard to the left; terror exploded in his mind. Falling on the battlefield meant failure at best, death at worst. The sands were too fast approaching, and Kaj panicked and awkwardly thrust his bent left knee forth, catching himself at the last available second. Massive wings flared to their full expanse beneath the moonlight, attempting to preserve his center of balance. The effect of nearly falling, intending to have hit Bronze and stalled himself, brought the entirety of his weight down on his already injured limb. Biting back a scream was the best he could do to preserve his dignity, sand spraying up and stinging his skin at the sudden crashing of his body to an undignified stop. Clenching his eyes shut against the onslaught, Kaj’s mind was momentarily overridden by pain as he faltered. Completely motionless, driven to a standstill by the abrupt save. Maskan was screaming in his head to get up, to keep fighting. The warm glass on his neck was further incentive to continue. He had to prove to his family that he was able to protect them, was worthy of being their King. Right?

Staggering up, Kaj opened his eyes into slits of anger. His absentmindedness eradicated, there was only the powerful throb of hot, pulsing anger. Cold wind swept over him, further sharpening his mind with the chill. Maskan’s voice was silent. Kaj didn’t attempt to run once more, sensing the pattern in Bronze’s style that would have him darting in and out; using the advantage of his faster frame against Kaj’s lumbering mass. Anger oft made fighters cloudy-headed, but Kaj embraced the clarity it gave him. Quickly dug his hooves into the soft give of the sand, the terrifying near-fall driving him to prevent it happening again.

Bronze circled back, as Kaj had anticipated. Kaj barely regained his stance before Bronze approached from behind. Wings having flared out to catch him, they were half-tucked, shrouding Kaj’s peripheral vision. Bronze, already dark as the night that had swiftly descended upon them, was completely invisible to him. The only alert he got was the spray of sand upon his hocks, signaling the stallion’s approach. His attempt to close the wings in response to the stimuli, remembering how his foe had continuously attempted to target the vulnerable limbs, was not swift enough. Those damnable horns caught on the outermost feathers, ripping free a small handful against the grain as Kaj jerked them tighter to his belly in response to the pain. The main bone was knocked hard as the horns were thrust free, the surrounding muscle swelling with a sure bruise that would leave him dreading flight the next day. They kissed the swell of his left shoulder in a mild scratch before he jerked away to the right. The King hissed through clenched teeth as his left knee objected, stiff and locked. Narrowly avoiding, without his knowledge, the underhanded attempt at his hock.

Irritation budded swiftly, breeding off his anger. Kaj sought his magic, letting it surge to the forefront. Electricity hummed along his skin and feathers, painting him a dull blue-white in the darkness. Yet another pale coloration to his disadvantage. A target in the darkness, a pathetic imitation of the moon he served. Recovering from his spastic avoidance, Kaj lurched back to the left with a kick of his hindquarters and a spray of sand, teeth parting. Aiming for the delicate spine of his foe. He sickly hoped the childish, evasive bastard would feel the electricity deep into his bones, like invasive fingers in his muscles. Again the wolf came from nowhere, teeth ripping into his flight feathers. He hoped the mongrel, too, would feast on the electricity. There was no longer a desire to prove himself, to neither his family nor the ghosts of his past. There was only the desire to teach this idiotic child that his underhanded ways would not be tolerated.

{800/800} && {3/3}

Notes:

1. I struggled a lot with this post, whether because it's been a while since I read through and posted on this spar or because of something else, I'm not sure. My apologies if this makes it any harder on you as a teacher!

2. I understand the 1/2 and 5/6 damage severity, but 3 and 4 I get really lost. So I had some bruising, a mild scrape, and some missing feathers (which I count as very minimal, considering birds often preen their own feathers and can still fly when they are attacked?) I may need some more help on the middle portion damages. Kaj also took a LOT of damage these past two turns, with his Critical Miss and a 3 damage, which I feel made it so much harder to write because I felt like I was writing pain after pain after pain and then I was losing word space like crazy because I wanted it to be realistic?

3. I couldn't, for the life of me, find anything from past spars to bring into this post. And since I specifically wrote Kaj disregarding Maskan's advice since it ended up not working out, I didn't know how else to bring in the past? So I instead used the recent past, of Ulrik constantly targeting his wings. Is that appropriate?

4. Brought in more of the environment through sand, moonlight and darkness, and had it impact Kaj by aiding Ulrik since his dark coloring made it harder for Kaj to pinpoint him. Thoughts?

5. Completely off topic of the previous numbers, but I really personally liked Kaj's half-flared wings blocking his peripherals. I did a little giddy dance, because I thought it was creative. So I hope that was okay.

@[Ulrik]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-01-2014, 02:37 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 10-01-2014, 10:12 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 10-05-2014, 03:29 AM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-06-2014, 01:09 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 10-10-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Kaj - 11-02-2014, 02:25 AM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Ulrik - 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
RE: Pure blood [Kaj] - by Official - 11-20-2014, 12:15 AM