the Rift

[OPEN] the silence isn't so bad

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
You see her when you close your eyes
Maybe one day you'll understand why

Her breath frosted the air in front of her face and the chill of the wind seemed to bite straight through her coat and seep into her bones. Orangemoon had definitely gone by too quickly and Frostfall had sunk its claws in too deeply far too quickly. Most of the leaves in the Edge's forest had shed their leaves and those leaves were already hidden under a layer of snow that crunched under her hooves. It was certainly not Evangeline's favorite time of the year and because of that it always seemed like it lasted the longest.

Overhead thick grey clouds blotted out what little bit of warmth and comfort the sun could provide. "I think its going to snow." Evangeline murmured to her companion who was just as unhappy with the change in weather as she was. 'Dark fast.' Tallis said in return, eliciting a nod from his bonded. It was only a matter of time before the sun sank below the horizon, bringing the temperature with it. "We should build a fire." The orange mare suggested as she looked to her companion. "If you gather some sticks I'll clear a place."

As Tallis flew off Evangeline began pawing at the ground, shoving snow aside and revealing the bare ground beneath. Tallis returned several minutes later and dropped a few twigs onto the cleared patch of land then flew off again as his bonded continued to shovel snow away. Once she had cleared a big enough space she began gathering sticks and piling them until she felt like there were enough. Without having to be asked Tallis landed beside the sticks and exhaled a plume of fire, setting them alight quickly. It gained in strength, but it was far from being strong enough to provide the comfort and warmth that Eva wanted, but it was better than nothing.

"."

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

I was already growing tired of the cold and the snow. It gathered around my hooves like a menacing snake that I could not escape. It wrapped around my ankles at times which only made for more irritating travels. Perhaps the ice that frosted the whole of Helovia had been most of the reason I’d decided to remain within the walls of the Edge that week or maybe I just felt like I needed to spend more time trying to piece back together the puzzle of all the things I’d missed out on while absent from Helovia. After all, the many things I’d witnessed in just the short time I’d been restored to the Edge had been enough to obscure me from nearly everything I’d once known. I was merely a walking question, seeking answers from those who could provide me any information. Every face, new and old, had something I wanted or truly, needed, to know. But the snow had given me enough reason to keep from wandering astray. I had a mission that I was looking to complete and with this new resolve sitting deep within my gut, I didn’t plan on giving anyone remorse.

As I started about the Edge, merely traversing aimlessly here and there, I caught sight of an auburn dragon flitting through the dense forest at my right. I watched as it dipped low here and there only to return to the upper branches with an armful of what looked to be dried tender and twigs. Something about the bird-like creature piqued my curiosity and without really intending to do so, I followed its path in child-like wonder. It twittered about for a while longer before it finally lifted above the trees seeking what appeared to be its ultimate destination and without any intentions of losing it, I moved further into the thicket. My pace quickened as I watched it through the deadened treetops; the only trace of the small dragon being a blur of red-orange flashing about in the pale blue sky. A small smile tugged at my lips at the preposterous idea of tailing what appeared to be an Edge member’s bonded, but I was far too intrigued to turn back now.

Gathering sticks and twigs meant that someone within these walls meant to build a fire and despite my increasing curiosity to know who it was, I was still more interested in sitting beside a fire myself. I could recall the many times Mirage had installed large campsites during the winter where tall flames lit the night, but I’d yet to see them during this cold season. I missed the idea immensely and perhaps this other being had known something Mirage as well. I liked knowing that someone else would be able to share something with me that they too had, had the privilege of witnessing. Mirage had been a great leader, a great friend, and an awe-inspiring figure to much of Helovia. I never thought that I’d see the day when her reign would end… but apparently the universe had other ideas about her fate.

As images of the little shadow mare taunted the darkness of my mind, I broke free of the forest and into a small clearing that housed not only the bonded dragon, but an unfamiliar mare as well. She had taken the time to clear a small spot in the snow and had used the gatherings of her bonded to light a small, but welcome fire. The woman was a pale chestnut with flaxen mane and tail and considerably younger than myself, but she appeared bright and knowledgeable. I was almost certain that I’d seen her about somewhere before, but I couldn’t place the location or date. Slowly, I ambled toward her, head low in greeting as a soft rumble parted my lips to alert her to my approach. “I see you’re not the only one suffering from the cold.” I glanced up to her emerald eyes, held there by their striking coloration, before smiling kindly. “I’m Thor… and I don’t believe we’ve met before.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

colourize-stock | burtn | firenzelotus22 | semperfiesty

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Outcast

'Someone follow.' Tallis alerted his bonded as he flew back toward her. 'Big.' It was hard for him to miss the big stallion as he zipped through the trees gathering the sticks that his bonded had wanted. The dragon was tempted to circle around and try to place himself behind the stallion and singe his massive butt for following him, but the mental pull of his bonded kept him from doing so. She chastised him as he flew back to her, reminding him that they were still within the Edge's territory and it would be unwise for him to attack one of her own herd mates. He begrudgingly agreed as he dropped the pile of sticks and set flame to them so his bonded could warm herself.

It was only a few moments later that the large stallion that Tallis had warned her about made his presence known with a soft rumble. Evangeline's gaze lifted from the small fire to the stallion and she looked at him with a guarded expression. He was unknown to her, though his scent was that of the Edge. She could even detect the lingering scent of Kahlua and Kaj, however faint it was. "Hello." She murmured. As she greeted the stallion Tallis took his place on her back. His expression was far less trusting than his bonded's.

"I’m Thor… and I don’t believe we’ve met before."

"I don't believe we have. I'm Evangeline."As she spoke she shifted closer to the fire. The distraction had stopped her from gathering bigger limbs as she had intended to stoke it and the smaller sticks were already dangerously close to being burned up. Her head turned and she looked at the dragon perched on her back. "Go find some more sticks. I'll go in a bit to find some bigger limbs to keep the fire going." As the dragon lifted himself into the air and flew away Evangeline turned back to the large stallion. "You followed my dragon. Why?"

"."

I hadn’t taken notice of the mare’s patchwork until now as it stood glaringly upon her shoulder distracting me from reply until I was finally able to tear myself from the thing, merciful for sudden release. So many strange new faces and yet I was the one that felt out of place... This had been my home for most of my life until I’d thought myself unfit for ruling it. I regretted that decision to my very core and wished so fervently for the return of my resolve, my absolution. Yet, it never came. Kaj and Kahlua were now the rightful Leaders of the World’s Edge and I- well I had many new situations to encounter. I wanted to know the help behind the curtain; I wanted to be able to recall every face that inhabited the Edge. These were my friends and family… I wanted to know something of each of them, something that was peculiar from the rest.

As she spoke, the pale mare gave me something by which I could remember her: Evangaline. A beautiful name, but I didn’t find it to be enough. I needed to place something in my thoughts that was unique to this vision of beauty. I needed to know some secret or some artifact about her life that made her special. However, before I could engage her once more, her deep green eyes turned away to face her bonded. They seemed to share words that I knew I would never hear, but I was still curios nonetheless. But before I could inquire about what had transpired between them, she turned her accusatory gaze back unto me. She wasn’t angry per say, but this soft creature appeared to be quite brash.

Tinder often means a fire dear… and I couldn’t refuse that kind of invitation.” It was as honest an answer as I could come up with under such an intense stare. In fact, I felt nervous beneath her watchful regard and part of me writhed and squirmed in discomfort, though I tried not to let it show. Taking a step forward, I mused for a moment while inhaling the thinning smoke of the dying fire. It needed something more substantial to survive and though I thought of offering her assistance in finding as much, I was still too eager to press her for information. “What does your marking mean?” I knew that I sounded more like an aloof child, oblivious to my surroundings and searching for answers to irrelevant questions… but I wanted to place this mare in my memory for the years to come. I just needed her to provide me the appropriate material.

As I waited for her to possibly recover from the confusion I’d caused or the element of ignorance that I’d introduced, I pondered thoughts of Mirage. I wondered if this mare had been a part of the Edge during our rule together and I’d simply been too blind to notice. I’d have to ask now, that was imperative, but I’d wait for her to recover from my previous need to assault her privacy with indignant inquiries about herself. I wasn’t sure how she would take to my approach or if she’d simply accept my curiosity as a part of my personality, but either way, I intended to stay for a multitude of reasons. Finding out about this Evangaline had piqued my interest first and foremost, but the warmth of the fire had endeavored me to stay.

Moving closer to the pitiful pit that now held only charred and smoking kindling, I silently hoped that she had ordered that little auburn dragon to find more. I now needed a reason to stay and hoped that if her bonded returned with the life this little fire needed, I would have a stubborn excuse to invade her company. After all, I still hadn’t gathered something unique about her, even if that uniqueness was just an annoyance for the queer behemoth that had followed her companion throughout the Edge in order to find her.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

Outcast

"Tinder often means a fire dear… and I couldn’t refuse that kind of invitation."

"How kind of you to not refuse your own invitation." Her tone fell flat, which was most unlike Evangeline. She was typically a gracious mare, kind to those around her, but Tallis' disapproval of the stallion that followed him had rubbed off on her. The dragon was still distrustful of those he didn't know, even if they were in the same herd, and Evangeline could understand. Just because they were in the same herd didn't mean that all individuals did not have hidden prejudices and motives. Her own home in Isilme had harbored several who had not always had the herd's best interest at heart. Try as she might she could not immediately trust everyone she encountered.

He did not seem off to her, though. The stallion, Thor, may not have had the best idea of stalking a dragon through the forest but he did not feel like a threat. "Tallis, my dragon, wanted to singe your butt." She informed the winged stud. "He did not like being followed, though I cannot blame you for wanting to warm yourself near a fire. Frostfall is certainly unpleasant." She turned her head back to the fire as Tallis arrived with more tinder, which he dropped into the dying flames. They began to burn with renewed vigor and dragon lingered only a moment before flying away to gather more.

“What does your marking mean?”

"Hm?" Evangeline murmured as he questioned her marking. She had forgotten she even had the thing there on her shoulder, a glaring testament of her life before Helovia. "I don't know remember, exactly." She admitted. "I think I got it close to the same time I became a leader in my homeland and earned my title. I've spent some time thinking that it means pure, but I could be wrong."

A trill announced Tallis' return and the dragon dropped another bundle of sticks on the fire before landing on his bonded's back and making his way beneath the cover of her mane. 'Small wings.' He said as he poked his head out from behind the blond tresses. 'He fly?' Eva wondered if the subject was a touchy one as Tallis questioned it. She knew from experience that stallions did not like their physical flaws to be pointed out. 'Ask.' The dragon prodded, making the mare sigh quietly. "Tallis wants to know if you're able to fly."

"."

Evangeline certainly hadn’t been humored by my attempt to amuse her. In fact, her dry comeback, though entertaining in its own way, felt like rubbing my face against a cactus… She was definitely contemplating how she felt about finding herself in my company and though I’d only meant to make a joke of the circumstances, the mare and her bonded were airtight against any and all outside interlopers. “They don’t call me the Gentle Heart for nothing dear. Kindness is my middle name.” Smiling at my own jest, I fixed a happy gaze on the dragon and his gatekeeper. What a pair they were, thriving off of one another- more than friends, more than family… They reminded me of Mirage and Akaith in way, though I doubted I’d encounter a more elegant bond than the shadow mare and her companion. I wished them safe in their endeavors now and prayed for their return to the Edge.

However, as mares had a great talent of doing, Evangeline interrupted my reminiscing- no, completely shocked me back into reality. I chocked on a laugh before shuddering and heaving with heartfelt emotion. “Maybe we should have called your little friend ‘The Gentle Heart’ instead. He’s so amiable.” I glanced at the little auburn reptile with chagrin before turning my attention back to the chestnut. “FrostFall has certainly taken its toll this season and I find myself missing the campfires that Mirage, the Edge’s former Weyrleader, used to host during her rule…” My voice seemed to trail off into a whisper recalling my past and the many great friends and family in it. However, I didn’t have long to fester before Evangeline was interrupting once again. Perhaps I was the one being rude, but I couldn’t help my fish-like brain. It tended to stray.

Locking my eyes back on the mare’s shoulder as she mentioned the reasoning behind her strange marking, I contemplated the symbol for a while longer. “Pure you say… do you consider yourself pure Evangeline? I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing such a title with me? I earned my title through leadership as well so now I guess you could say we have something in common.” I wasn’t sure if she’d known me as her Weyrleader simply because I couldn’t say I’d ever seen her in my short time as King and I didn’t plan on gloating or shaming myself by telling her that I’d once reigned over the Edge. The pride and pity that came with those words was just too much to bear.

A loud squawking sounded overhead breaking my train of thought and I glanced fervently to Tallis as he swooped in with another load of tinder. I muttered softly at the dragon for making my heart race before eyeing him as he settled upon Evageline’s back and nestled beneath the safety of her mane. That’s right little rat… I smiled deviously at him as I watched the two, humored and halfway irritated that such a little being could affect me so. However, his curiosity extended beyond torturing me for reasons unknown. My wings had been a thing of pain and suffering when I was a young stud, but Tallis’ interest in them no longer burned a hole through my heart. “I cannot fly nor have I ever. I guess these things are merely for decoration in my case.” I gestured to the fragile imposters with a shrug. I couldn’t miss something I’d never felt.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

Outcast

“FrostFall has certainly taken its toll this season and I find myself missing the campfires that Mirage, the Edge’s former Weyrleader, used to host during her rule…”

Evangeline knew the name 'Mirage' in passing, but had never actually met the mare or taken the time to seek her out for any reason so the name had no effect on the orange mare. She only continued to watch Thor and listen as he mentioned the campfires that the old leader had had during Frostfall. It made her wonder why Kaj and Kahlua did not have the same campfires in place now. Actually, it annoyed her a little that they could overlook something that could help the herd so much. "Have you brought it to their attention?" she asked, wondering if he'd even bothered with it or was content to reminisce and complain to anyone who would listen.

He seemed to be quite rude at times and Evangeline did not care much for the way he asked if she considered herself to be pure. "Frankly, that is none of your business." It was quite possible that the stallion had not meant to sound so insulting, that she had taken his comment out of context. She decided to leave Thor's comment in the past and so she focused on his claim at being a leader. It was something they had in common and maybe some common ground would do this encounter some good. She needed to not alienate any herdmates that she happened upon or happened upon her. "Where did you lead?"

She felt tense and Tallis' arrival seemed to ease her tenseness a touch. When he prodded her about Thor's wings, however, that tenseness returned. She expected some kind of a snide remark from the stallion. Their egos were quite delicate and often anytime a perceived weakness was pointed out they would lash out. His answer made her frown and Evangeline found that she felt a bit sorry for him, though she did not allow it to show on her face. Sympathy was often not welcomed. 'Sorry.' Tallis nudged Eva to relay his message. "Tallis says he is sorry if he has offended you."

"."

The warmth of the pale winter sun did little to hide the brisk chill of the frozen breeze and I was helpless to escape the mild shudder that rocked my bones in response. I could feel the cold flowering in my marrow and blooming outward, which had become a familiar sensation as of late, hence my mentioning the campfires to Evangeline. However, when she questioned whether or not I’d brought it to the attention of Kahlua or Kaj, I certainly couldn’t tell her that I’d already stepped on their toes enough by asking to return to the Edge. Instead I shook my head and added a quiet, “No.” I didn’t feel the need to justify why I had or hadn’t and simply let the resolution hang limply between us.

The flaxen mare was all but delighted by my forwardness in later questioning though, which now that I thought of it, was completely understandable. But it was still something of an anomaly for me to witness the ruffled feathers of a hen such as Eva. She was clearly a conservative creature and through testing her boundaries, I would become a better friend to her because of it. I didn’t wish to offend her, but knowing the things that upset her was certainly a handy bit of knowledge that would keep me out of trouble should we cross paths again. “I’m sorry to disturb you; won’t happen again...” I gave her a small smile to prove my sincerity before she moved on, probably to extinguish the topic altogether.

However, her next point of interest did little to stimulate my own desire for conversation. I hadn’t wanted to share my past, at least not so soon after gaining the well wishes of a nervous Queen that I refuse to name in fear of her spite. But, how could I tactfully get out of coming forth with such a heavy answer? In truth, I would just have to make it light, as if it were nothing more than a mere hiccup in a life full of greatness. “Right here in the Edge actually. What about you?” I rushed over the words quickly, certain that turning the focus back on Evangeline would make the truth a little less painful. Only time would tell though… only time.

However, I was then presently distracted by the small, narrow face of Tallis as he quietly gazed at me and my misshapen wingspan. My eyes drifted to the forest beyond in hopes that drowning their mention would soothe the mare and her bonded. I knew that many thought my deformity would be a source of discomfort, but in truth, I didn’t think much of them only because I had lost nothing. I was content to remain on the ground with the soft soil beneath my hooves and the green grasses tickling my ankles. It was all I’d ever wanted out of life and therefore these wings of mine were little to pity anymore. “It’s no problem. I was born with them and so I learned to accept them at a young age.” I smiled warmly at the two before once again falling prey to my own wicked imagination where I was once again a righteous King.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

Outcast

Her gaze lifted so she could try to meet Thor's eyes when he admitted to ruling in the Edge. She wondered what had happened that he no longer ruled, failed challenge or if he had willingly stepped down, but she did not ask. She felt that such a question was better saved for a third or fourth meeting rather than the first. Evangeline felt that the decision to withhold her question was the correct one with the way he rushed through his answer to ask of her own time of being a leader.

"I used to live in a land called Isilme. I ruled the Mystic Woodlands there with Roanne the Sentinel." Her ears tilted forward as she spoke her friend's name. She hoped that his name would spark some kind of recognition in Thor. Maybe if she was lucky enough he would tell her that he knew where he was and point her in the right direction. She edged closer to the fire as she looked at Thor. "We were run out of our home by the shades. I'd still be there if it weren't for them." A frown pulled the corners of her mouth down and Tallis trilled quietly to soothe her. She had said more than she had intended and there was little doubt in her mind that he would question her on who or what the shades were.

Evangeline sighed quietly as Thor assured them that it was no problem that Tallis had questioned his wings. "You were teased a lot growing up?" She asked, mostly expecting Thor to admit that he was. She had found, growing up, that children were often very cruel individuals. It made her hope when her own were born that they were different. "Everyone has flaws, even the ones doing the teasing." She mused. "They often have the most flaws and are desperate to try and minimize their own by accentuating everyone else's."

"."

Smile for your sins

Was it strange that I found such equality and comfort in the flaxen mare? Or perhaps I had found a likeness of Tamira in her… Whatever the case, I knew that I did not desire to be parted with her. A friend such as she would be an everlasting goodness in my life where I had lost my light. The curiosity in her eyes set my nerves to quivering and dancing along the wire of my resolve before that impervious gaze shifted away into the vastness of the Edge. However, I would not let my eyes wander for they sought only her and her attention. There was a great connection between us, on that seemed to surf the thin line between friendship and something more, though I had no intentions of letting it fall astray. My heart had not been able to recover as fully as I’d expected since Tamira’s death, but I was still male after all and Evangeline’s warmth and certain feminine splendor forced me into stepping closer, seeing better, hearing stronger…

I can’t say that it surprises me. You embody a certain strength and aptitude for ruling…” My confidence was unwavering as I absorbed the longing look in Eva’s eyes after she admitted to leading in Isilme, a land of which I was sure I’d heard in passing before. However, that whimsical vision of desire was fleeting and those emerald eyes were soon flickering through a spectrum of other emotions as she continued. But of course, she only meant to add the final piece of the puzzle, which appeared to be the conclusion of Isilme and the beginning of Helovia. “No doubt, though I am glad to have met you. If not for Helovia, I would not have been blessed with the likeness of your hospitality.And such beauty.

With a lag in conversation, I took the moment to peer out into the forest while enjoying the warmth of the slight fire at our feet. The flames send hot gusts of smoke licking up my legs until their remnants lingers at my nose so that I might inhale the woody scent of burning tinder. It was a relief to remember how intoxicating the aroma of a campfire left one soothed in the midst of a perilous winter; I have Evangeline to thank for that.

I was teased yes, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle or understand. Those who knew me were kind enough and I suppose that’s all I truly needed.” As my voice trailed away, I let my mind wander back to the past and the smiling faces, the ignorant laughter, and the horrified gaping mouths that witnessed my deformity. I was glad to have grown up a massive animal, one worth fearing and remembering for his size and not just his “small wings”. But Evangeline didn’t see me that way… no, she saw my core and she accepted me for whatever follies I seemed to possess. As she mused absently to herself, I was content to watch her think and sift through her own ideas of my past. It was comforting because even if she wasn’t with me presently, she was with me in her thoughts… “Children don’t quite understand the world as they should. I cannot blame them for fearing what they did not know; I am none the worse for wear because of it- in fact I am a great specimen of what it looks like to overcome adversity.

I had certainly overcome the differences I’d been gifted with in life, but was I truly a great specimen any longer? Had Helovia given me that and then taken it away? I was unsure of the fact now, but one day I would find my answer… I always did.

Thor the Gentle Heart

Outcast

“I can’t say that it surprises me. You embody a certain strength and aptitude for ruling…”

Evangeline snorted softly at the compliment, not truly believing what Thor had said. "I was two years old when I was named leader. I've little doubt that it was because no one else in the herd wanted to step up and claim the responsibility that the previous leaders shirked." She explained. "It is tiring." she murmured. "In some ways it is rewarding, but it is so very tiring. It always surprises me when I hear of someone being a leader for a long time." Eva often wondered how long she would have lasted had it not been for the shades invading and taking over every inch of Isilme. As it was she had already been growing tired of cleaning up Roanne's political messes because he often acted like a bonehead when it came to other herds.

Thor's deep voice had Eva turning her head in his direction again. "What are you up to?" She asked. He seemed far too kind for just meeting her and it was somewhat unnerving. 'Flirting badly.' Tallis suggested, drawing another snort from Eva. "Yeah, right. Why would he do that?" 'Because Eva pretty.' The dragon responded simply. "Hmm." She hummed in response to the dragon. She never thought of herself as pretty. She was not adorned with horns or wings or any of the other odd colors and markings that she'd seen in passing. She was simple. Plain. 'Pretty.' Tallis insisted again. "You are biased." This time the dragon snorted and Eva rolled her eyes before her gaze settled on Thor once more, wondering if Tallis was correct.

Thankfully the conversation seemed to move on and he spoke of being teased when he was younger, just as she had suspected. "What is there to fear about your wings?" She questioned. "Did they think it was contagious?" How stupid if that was the case. She often wondered where certain pieces of logic came from. His claim at being a great specimen for overcoming adversity made Eva smile. "They say heroes are born from adversity. Perhaps you are a hero as well?"

The flame flickered and began to die as the wind began to gust. The orange mare looked toward the sky, frowning as specks of white began to drift downward. "Looks like we're in for a bit of snow."

"."

Smile for your sins

A flicker of doubt burned into existence behind a carefully composed shade of green; that look upset a flurry of emotion inside that had been dormant until this moment. It felt as if years separated me from Tamira’s smiling eyes, but there was a restlessness that still simmered beneath the layers of hurt and anger. Life was a precious thing and though I’d forgotten that a time or two, I’d never taken it for granted. This narrow line on which I walked was mine alone and I’d be damned if anyone or anything tried to take it from me like it was taking from her.

Words and ideas were related to me in that heartfelt way that Evangeline did most things in her life, but it was growing difficult to hear. The ominous roaring of the distant waves grew loud enough to muffle her meaning even if some small part of me still understood. When was the last time I’d sought female companionship? Was this even relevant to those endeavors or was I merely testing a buried piece of my character to prove it was still alive? My mind weaved through her vocals, picking up concepts and verses when it could, but ultimately all I could surmise from my distracted attention span was that she’d been a young leader; one that had been forced into position and expected to deliver. It wore on her though, just like it had worn on me… Perhaps we did have something in common: a taste of power, even if that authority had turned us from the throne.

But I did not consider us broken.

It is a wearying thing to say the least. To carry the weight of many worries and many fears can make one tired… But to witness the many smiles, the many laughs- those are worth the exhaustion and the complicated decisions. I’m sure you know that much though… I suppose it’s nice to reminisce though, don’t you think?” I seemed to be assuring myself more than her, but found I hadn’t the room for shame in doing so. I needed absolution no matter the guise it happened to appear in. Again I looked to Evangeline as I pondered, but surprisingly found the foundations of a scowl curling her precious lips. As they turned down I noticed that my own seemed to respond in kind… and up they went. Chuckling like a foolhardy old brigand, I looked back and forth between those unbelieving green eyes and Tallis, who had settled nicely astride the flaxen mare’s back. “Nothing you can’t handle Eva.” I smiled deviously to the Pure before shirking her concerns in favor of changing the topic.

But I did not miss the silent conversation she shared with Tallis… her quiet humming had given that away.

Coughing slightly, I sought to find her gaze directed my way as a sullen reminder that she did not fool me. For a moment, I tried to hold those smoldering emerald globes before turning her free to muse and question my behavior. Clearly it was confusing to her, though I didn’t see just how. She was a mare of age… surely she’d had her fair share of courting. “Children are ignorant; they merely didn’t understand anything that strayed outside their narrow mindset. I can forgive them for that now… I’ve grown up, yes?” The subtle prodding would not go unnoticed but at least I was comfortable enough to leave the fish hanging on her line; whether or not she would reel it in would be up to her. “Though I’d never be bold enough to call myself a hero, I’m not averse to hearing it from your lips.” Sometimes I just couldn’t help myself.

As the wind grew stronger, blowing the heat of the fire into the dismal essence of our great land, I looked to Evangeline with knowing eyes. The cold would come sweeping in once again and if I were a more decent animal, I would have let her go… We could have parted ways right then, but of course that primal flame burned large and before I could think or deliberate or question any more, I moved to her side. The snow had begun to fall down around us, coating her hide in white flecks that reminded me of wild flowers in the spring… “I’d ask you if you wanted to wear my coat but…” A chivalrous smile parted my lips as I gazed down into a sea of green just before a small snowflake landed quietly upon those long lashes. What a sight…. What a beautiful sight.

Thor the Gentle Heart

Outcast

"Yes." Evangeline whispered as Thor spoke of the smiles and laughs. When she had first begun leading it had been enough to sustain her, but because of the weight of the position she had begun to ignore them. The smiles from the herd did not make diplomacy happen any faster or make wars any shorter. She had been a child leading a her and had been forced to grow up very quickly. As she thought back she couldn't remember even being a child. "I reminisce about it sometimes." She admitted. "Sometimes I remember the good but a lot of the time I remember the bad. The struggles. The fighting." A sadness swelled in her chest as she thought of the fighting that she and Roanne had done because of the herd. Being leaders had nearly torn them apart. She didn't think it was something that she could do again.

She looked at Thor as he spoke again, stating that children are ignorant. "Ignorant children are the result of ignorant parents." She hoped and prayed that her own were not ignorant and reflecting badly on her, but even if they were she would not make excuses for them. She had dropped the ball as a parent, and even though she was young and iexperienced she would not use that as an excuse. "Do you have any children, Thor?" She asked softly. She didn't understand why she was becoming so curious about his past, but she was allowing the conversation to flow. Didn't she need to make friends? Thor was a start.

Eva blinked at Thor's next statement, realizing without Tallis telling her that the stallion was flirting again. "He's doing it again." She glanced back to the dragon and he grinned. 'Do it back.' It seemed so simple, but Eva didn't know if she could flirt. Her only relationship had been with Validino and even then she hadn't flirted. "How?" 'Dunno.

"I think you should get used to calling yourself a hero." She had no idea what she was doing and Tallis pointed that much out to her as she looked back at Thor. Thankfully before she could speak again and make more of a fool of herself the wind and snow began. It was enough to make Thor scoot closer to her and she could soon feel his body heat against her side. Evangeline sidestepped closer to Thor so their sides touched and she looked up at him, allowing a small smile to grace her lips. "This is fine." She murmured as she gazed up at the stallion. She blinked as a snowflake found is way into her lashes then she ducked her head down to touch her cheek against Thor's neck.

This was the kind of flirting that she could do. The other stuff was for the birds.

ooc://
yay for ipad posts :D

"."

Smile for your sins

An inner war seemed to flare up behind those jade colored gems of hers and perhaps one waged only in the name of my words. Her memories had reached the surface and as her soft song wafted into the open air, I imagined it to be a fog of sorts. Slowly, it passed from her lips and danced across the curling breeze before wrapping innocently about my ears. Clearly Evangeline had seen more atrocity than peace in her time on the throne and the idea settled heavily in the pit of my gut. I couldn’t imagine such purity and grace forced against the wires of warfare; she was much too gentle for that. But of course it didn’t stop me from imagining it… Maybe there was a strength in her that I’d yet to see. I feared and admired the look of contemplation and pragmatism planted firmly upon her brows at so young an age. She must have been striking, The Pure, in all her majesty. I couldn’t tempt the image from my mind and instead distracted myself once again with her conversation… but what a sight she would have been to behold. There was certainly something primal working against me now.

Don’t fret Eva; the past is not something we can change now. Besides, sadness doesn’t sit well on features as fine as yours.” I gave her quirky grin, still insistent on bending her towards my will even if I had to press her into a corner of guilt. I harbored something of great intensity for the mare and even if I couldn’t yet put a name to it, I was determined to find out what it was. However, upon the mention of ignorant parents, I sighed heavily. I feared that she would hear of Essetia and decide that I too was an ignorant fool. My daughter had always been a treasure to me, my ultimate pride and joy… But to mention her now felt like a noose around my figurative neck. Instead of acknowledging her comment though, I nodded absently hoping that the topic would tumble away with the icy wind.

But alas, it remained.

She desired to know if I’d had children… if I’d loved enough to commit to the idea of a child. I wasn’t sure if it was a test of my character or if she’d truly already heard of my past mistakes. Either way, I couldn’t bring myself to lie to Evangeline, especially not with Tallis monitoring my every move. “I have one child… a daughter.” My voice wavered over the words like a red flag and I tried to shake the feeling of shame building quickly in my damaged heart. “Her name is Essetia. But… it’s been a while since I’ve seen her last. I left her in the Edge after her mother died; I guess I felt like the loss was too much to bear. I didn’t want her to see my weakness- I’d been a King after all.” The truth strung tightly between us like a weathered chord that would either snap or hold… I just wasn’t sure which way it would fall.

But as all things did, we moved on- and in a direction I hadn’t been expecting in the least… I wasn’t sure what she’d meant by the statement, “You should get used to calling yourself a hero”, but it sounded fairly positive to me. However, even if her words left my mind reeling, her actions did not. With the cold blowing in from the sea, Evangeline allowed me to her side… In fact, she accepted my advances and reciprocated with her own. It’d been a few years since I’d felt this way, years since I’d welcomed the warmth of another. Her skin against my own felt natural and I allowed her to hide those emerald globes against the curve of my neck just as I’d allowed Tamira to do countless times over. “I’m truly no hero Evangeline, but I assure you, I can try to be should you ask.” I wasn’t sure where this was heading, but I wasn’t going to stop it unless the pretty little mare at my side told me to.

Thor the Gentle Heart

Outcast

'He flirts good.' Tallis pointed out to Evangeline as the stallion spoke. "I know." She answered the dragon. 'You're not.' She didn't need to be told that she wasn't good at flirting to know that she wasn't good at it. She had never had to flirt to have stallions falling all over her, and it wasn't her pride talking. She had done little more than talk to Ricochet to have him smitten with her, and the same with Validino. Even Sinaloa, whom she hadn't met before, had wanted her enough to take her from her home in the woodlands. She hadn't flirted even when Validino finally confessed that he loved her. Their relationship had begun with friendship and it had blossomed into something much more beautiful and fragile. "I don't know how." She admitted, but the dragon had no suggestion for her of how to flirt with Thor. Dragons and horses were much, much too different.

She didn't know what she had expected Thor's answer to be when she had asked if he had a child of his own, but she certainly hadn't expected for him to only have one. Evangeline could admit that he was an attractive stallion, and his way with words could make a mare weak at the knees if she did not have a strong constitution. "I have four." She admitted. "Three girls and one boy." And all from the same stallion. The one that had managed to capture her heart then rip it out, still beating, and tear it to pieces. "Cyrus and Aylin, Aswane and Mileena." Her voice had grown softer as she'd spoken of her children until she became silent and listened to Thor once more. "That's terrible... I'm so sorry." It seemed they both had the loss of their loved ones in common, but his was far more permanent than her's was. At least she had the possibility of Validino waltzing back into her life like he hadn't taken their youngest daughter and left in the middle of the night.

The topic was heavy and made Eva feel as if the entire world had settled on her back and was intent on smashing her into the dirt. She could hear Tallis' soft trilling as he attempted to comfort her, but topics of mates and children were taboo. She, however, could blame no one but herself for bringing it up because she had asked him. The orange mare had little else to say and settled, instead, for listening to the wind as it rustled the tree branches with a growing intensity, making her wonder if there was a blizzard blowing in from the north.

“I’m truly no hero Evangeline, but I assure you, I can try to be should you ask.”

Thor's words drew Tallis' attention and the dragon stared at the much bigger creature. He may not have been well versed in the way of equine flirting but he was male with male urges. Even though he hated the cold wind and wanted the shelter that his bonded's mane provided, Tallis marched his way down Evangeline's back and plopped himself on her rump. He knew what Thor was getting at and there was no way in hell he was letting it happen. No. Way. In. Hell.

Meanwhile, Evangeline continued to rest her cheek against Thor's neck, openly welcoming the warmth that his body provided. "If I ever need a hero I'll look for you first, then." Was that flirty enough? She tilted an ear back toward Tallis, but the dragon remained quiet and she began to wonder if he had frozen into a block of ice.

"."

Smile for your sins

I had seen that look before; in fact I’d seen all of this before and it was an elusive thing that often plagued my thoughts. Did I really believe that I would find love or happiness again after Tamira and her death- her murder? The welcoming expression that lit Eva’s happy, green globes was not unfamiliar to me any longer because I’d seen it before in eyes of brown. I’d always heard that every love was different, more changed and evolved than the last... But was that what I felt now, love? I couldn’t be sure but the emotion was strong enough to inspire me to seek Eva’s warmth and simple companionship even more. Her company was easy and kind; she was truly a blessing to my old heart.

However, upon sharing Essetia’s memory with the beautiful Emissary, I found a confusing array of emotion flit haphazardly across her face. Something about it made me think she was surprised… but about what? That I had a daughter? That I only had one? I wanted to believe that she was unassuming of my gender but clearly there was something more to my character than she formerly believed; the least I could do was take that with a grain of salt and move on. Though, when Eva admitted to having four children of her own, I recognized a familiar name among them. “Aylin… a daughter I suppose? I believe I met her some time ago as a young filly.” How uncanny it was that I’d met one of her children without knowing about Evangeline herself. It was quite a shame that our two worlds had already crossed in the form of one youthful, Aylin but nevermore until now.

There’s no need to apologize. The fine ether of life is something that no one can predict.” I stated evenly. I didn’t want to discuss the topic of Tamira anymore than was necessary but it was hard to steer conversation away from her memory without a punishing shaft of guilt splintering my heart. But with Eva at my side, I felt somewhat whole again. Her warmth and her calm created a certain serenity that eased itself over my shoulders like a security blanket. She had given me something that I’d thought I’d lost… She had given me the slightest glimpse of caring and understanding in a world all too small and unforgiving.

She had seen me.

You’ll not have to look far Eva. I’ll always be around for you.” I didn’t care if I sounded too forward or brash… This was the first time since I’d left myself body and soul, in order to mourn Tamira, that I had found my way home. Evangeline reminded me of the happiness that I’d lost so long ago and I didn’t plan on losing that happiness because I’d been too afraid to share my feelings. When it came to love, I gave myself wholly and unconditionally because that was the only way to care for someone- without restraint.

Thor the Gentle Heart

Outcast

Surprise shone in Evangeline's eyes as Thor admitted to having met her daughter when she was young. She wondered just how long ago it had been. Had she still been in Helovia or had she already left with Validino and their handicapped daughter to find someone who could heal her? "Tallis?" She resorted to asking the dragon because he had always been with Aylin whenever she went off on her own. The orange mare turned her head enough so she could look at the dragon through her peripheral vision. He shook his head. 'Don't know him. Had to be gone.' Evangeline frowned and allowed her gaze to fall to the ground, thinking once more that she had not been a very good mother. Was bad parenting in her genes? Was it something that could be inherited?

“There’s no need to apologize. The fine ether of life is something that no one can predict.”

"I know." She murmured quietly. Validino was a prefect example of that because there had been no way she could have known that he would abandon her. "I often wonder if certain actions affect the flow of life. I wonder if I changed one thing what my life would be like. Where would I be now? Would this moment even exist?" There was no way for her to know, not without having to ask the God of Time, and she had reservations about asking him anything. From what she'd heard of him in rumors he was not one to exercise patience or understanding. It made her doubt that she could question what her reality would be if she had made different choices in her life, but it didn't make her wonder what her reality would be like if she could go back and change things.

His voice broke her from her wondering and for that Evangeline was grateful, but it made her confused as well. Why would he be around for her? They were little more than strangers meeting for the first time and she had not been very friendly at first. It impressed her that he had even stuck around long enough for her to loosen up and it surprised her even more that he flirted. What surprised her the most by far, however, was the fact that she had liked it and reciprocated. It was certainly getting harder for her to stay impartial to everyone and not form any bonds. Her heart continued to tell her that she was not a solitary creature, that she needed to love and be loved no matter the consequence.

"Thank you." Evangeline finally said as she shifted her body closer to Thor's in an attempt to get whatever warmth he could offer her. Her logical mind knew that the moment could not last much longer because the temperature continued to drop, but her heart wanted it to last forever.

"."