the Rift

[OPEN] Fortunes & Favors {Grimm's Fortune Telling Booth}

Grimmrot Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Apprentice
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 3 {Ages in Tallsun} Buff: NOVICE
Nyte

A pink-flecked nose quivers with anxiety at my Lady's mention of ingesting the glowing mushrooms. She can't really think that I am willing to taste them, can she? I know that I'm rather odd in comparison to some other folk, but surely I do not come off as an imbecile as well. A haughty sigh drifts through my lips, causing me to realise that my mouth has been agape for some time now. I snap it closed with a dull clack of my teeth, but a moment later I open it again so that I can thank her for the gifts she has delivered me.

"Oh, how wonderful, Illynx! You've made this trader very happy." I am careful not to mention how she has also convinced me that she is not so crazy any more; I'll just let sleeping dogs lie -- and tend to their fleeing decorations, too. "Should you want the swirls of your dazzling weapon read as well, my Lady, you need only come see me once I have set up." Molten eyes seek out the other mare's form, but she is far too fast and much too nimble for me to even bother trying to approach her. I'm sure that she will discover my stand in her own zigzagging way should she desire to hear of her own fate. I give a brief nod, as if trying to convince myself that that will be the case. Needless to say the delicate woman is no concern of mine, and I have spiritual business to attend to.

One excited meander later, I have come to the spot that the armored vixen directed me towards. I gaze upon the items fondly, appraising the intricate designs on the bowl and the carves inscriptions in the bones. Although I do not question the origin of the bowl, my brow does raise at the prospect of acquiring these bones. Is there another here who knows of this dark art? How would one know what marks to etch the bones with?

Obviously my suspicion does not last for long, for I start to pile the pieces of fox into the bowl so that I can transport them easier. Once this simple task has been complete -- and after I have successfully untangled my tail from around my leg, I must have been swinging it in my excitement at finding such lovely things -- I carry the basin to a small wooden stand I passed on the way here. It is a simple thing, but it will suit my needs. Dumping the fox's remains on the chest-high slab of wood that serves as the stand's counter, I make way for the guzzling stream that Illynx had spoken of earlier. A single scoop of the trickling water is enough to fill the shallow bowl, but I take my time in drinking my fill before returning to my post.

The basin makes a hollow clinking sound when I rest it next to the bones and, eager to get started, I fumble for the tiny things with my lips before tossing them in the air. There is no one here to make a request for the bones, but that does not stop me from making my own.

Have I come to the right place, wise ones? Will I find fortune here?

The weathered things fall one by one, clattering against the uneven wood until they roll into place. Their etched faces stare up at me, and I crinkle my lips in a smile as I study the formation they have made. Yes. Perhaps this land will be prosperous. Perhaps I have come to the right place.

Talking

{Alright, so, I am continuing on from the preparation thread, and Grimmrot's booth is now open! This is in fact a fortune telling stand, equipped with throwing bones for yes/no answers only, and a basin of water for some scrying! She can also reads the "whorls" in fur or the spirals on a horn. There is no magic being used here, but Grimmrot is in fact a Gypsy, and on her travels she has learned the art of fortune telling.

With that said, you can message this account for an accurate telling of your character's fortune, be it for plotting purposes or otherwise! If you do not care to receive a specific reading, I will randomly pick a fortune (or misfortune?) from the list I have compiled, or Grimmrot will just mess with you. ;P Don't worry, these fortunes will be vague, and do not necessarily have to come true! Everything is up for interpretation!

Fortunes will be first come, first serve, and are completely free! The seer does appreciate some goodies, though. -wink wink- Have fun! }

some fortune cookies contain no fortune

April Mo @ flickr

Beloved Posts: 121
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 8.5 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 :: Appears 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Orphan :: Ragdoll Cat :: None Bunnie
There is a party, and Beloved is there, as she is at all things that incite high emotion in others; she watches wars, she watches dances, she observes births, and she will watch the unicorns tonight, as well.

Her occasional laughter is a soft song on the outskirts as she traipses through the bordering grasses that sweep beneath soft winds, maniacal eyes gleaming and flashing with cryptic light as she watches them all move in packs and pairs; the dancers fill the field lit by the pale blue glow of the mushrooms, her Lady observed leaping and bounding with grace and the Lord presiding on the border of the festivities, quiet and imposing and still as watching, wrathful stone.

Does it surprise her he is not dancing?

Only in ways – a man such as he should at least have women fawning at him at this time, as did her other Lord of Darkness, the man with the bone face. Perhaps, she thinks with a gleeful tinkling of laughter, haunting and ethereal in her shadowed position, he is not the man she thought him to be.

Any warlord kept whores. Where were his?

Her eyes narrow as she watches him, a low humming throbbing outwards from her pink lips as they twist as contort, as her red tongue probes their borders and she lets her eyes stray across more of the goings on, watching for something to catch her attention well enough to perhaps lure her forward into the gaiety that sweeps the clearing.

It comes from the stream.

A dark mare, marked with white, almost an oppositional photocopy to the lithe dancer who lurks and watches, who waits. She flashes haunting, empty eyes to watch her as she carries the stone basin to the wooden pedestal, watches as the bones tumble and dance about and the woman stares upon their runic surfaces as if they read something.

Oh?

Does she hear the water whisper, too? Its calling her now, she can her its seraphic symphony, see the starlight reflected on its small surface within the confines of the carved stone, and with a gleeful grin and tender lilt of laughter, she recalls the ancient wood, the pool of blood… the gift the water had given her in the presence of the bewitching Loveless.

"Do they tell you truths?" she asks, pale frame revealed as she waltzes from her hiding place, the brush rustling and her voice sweet and honeyed as her eager (perhaps frenzied) eyes maul the visual display upon the table rather than the one who wields them, "most bones are liars. They only remember what the soul taught them."

Beloved
rust every place that I touch

Tag Beloved, please!

Feel free to attack her with physical or magical violence at your own risk. ;D

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The life of the party is always late- today was no exception. Kahlua bounded into the gaieties with a happy smile on her face, the tinkling of her music box announcing her entrance, and so for now she purposefully avoided the singers and dancers. She did not wish to interrupt their song with the mathematical contraption that Ulrik had built. The song was beautiful, certainly, but they were creating their own music. And though she longed to dive to the song and dance immediately, she could wait a few minutes until her own song had faded. Instead, her bouncy trot carried her towards Yin and Yang at a booth of sorts, which thoroughly amused Kahlua and made her all the more excited to meet her.

In her mouth swung a glass basket, filled with trinkets of all sorts. For the interested observer, the list was follows: one feathered dragon- blue; seven feathers- three orange, three purple, one gray; one mechanical scorpion- metal; one music box- metal; one glowing rock- yellow.

Settling her basket between her feet as the white mare finished speaking her thoughts on bones and what they remembered (which Kahlua thought was nothing at all), she smiled fondly to each. The fact that she did not wear a horn did not deter her from happiness. She had been invited, after all; what use was there in being afraid? The queen surely did not imagine the idea that she might be kidnapped and carted off somewhere. This would be a rather elaborate ruse to accomplish such a feat, when something far more simple surely would have sufficed to capture the foolish Sunshower.

“Hello, friends!” She announced brightly, her chirping voice talking over the gentle tinkling of the music box that stilled insistently played its simple song. “What are the bones for?” Having never heard of bone reading, but rather interested in what was going on regardless, she settled herself in, ready to chat. As for Khan, he quickly snaked out of the basket, beginning a none-too-inconspicuous sneak towards one of the bones on the ground, prepared to snatch it in his mouth and scamper away if he was not caught first. Of course he probably would be- blue does little to camouflage itself against green grass and brown floors, but the little one had not yet learned this.
Kahlua

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Grimmrot Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Apprentice
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 3 {Ages in Tallsun} Buff: NOVICE
Nyte

Dark ears twitch in response to the lilting voices that permeate the air, and my tear-marked face turns to observe the growing crowd. My golden gaze darts from one writhing figure to the next, admiring the grace that is evident in my Lady's bounds and chuckling at the sight of some others. Some choose to remain still, lurking on the edges of the dance floor, and it is for them that my heart reaches out for. A part of me can understand their inaction for I, too, am not a pleasant dancer, but there is also a piece of me that can't help but feel disappointed. There they are, resisting the melody of voices and the closeness of bodies; but here I am, throwing bones and all alone, struggling to keep myself away from the temptations of food and joy and pleasure.

A long sigh struggles to escape my maw, but I do not release it from its damp prison. I had offered to make my services available for my herd and I should do so willingly. Do I regret my choices? Yes. I do not need the opinions of some bones to tell me that I do. Just a few fortunes, and then maybe one song... The future can go untold for a little while. I know what it is that I am trying to do, though, and I shake my head with irritation. I should not have to convince myself to commit this task.

As little as I appreciate my duty now, I actually love interpreting the hushed whispers of corpses and searching the stars for events to come. Perhaps it is a reaction to the mushrooms -- I've only just noticed the faint glow that one of my hooves gives off; a small bout of panic accompanied that realization -- or maybe it is just my boredom, but as soon as I have wrenched my gaze away from the party I am greeted by a mare who is probably my long-lost-evil-step-sister. Or something. My hide gives off a nervous twitch as she pulls herself closer, commenting on the virtue of my bones and the souls that once inhabited them.

Excuse me? The wave of anxiety that had rolled over me at the sight of her is forgotten as soon I have processed the demon's words. I'm mostly just uncomfortable now, and I can't help but feel threatened by her inquiry. You haven't even given them a chance... I wet my lips with a darting pink tongue before I can bring myself to utter a response, but luckily (or fortunately, ba-dum tsss) for me a much cheerier lady joins our discussion.

Oh Gods thank you! A wavering stare shifts from the incubus' milky face and to the newcomer's basket. Oh, what a bounty this one carries! I'll have to initiate a trade! It takes everything I have to prevent myself from plunging my nose into her stash, and I am so distracted by the treasures that my tone is distant when I say, "I use the bones to determine... well, anything really. They can confirm the past. Affirm the future-" at this I sneak another glance at her basket, but I quickly return to the paint. "-I can demonstrate, if you like?"

I turn to the bones immediately afterwards, intending to grab them but really just providing an excuse so that I do not have to look at one lady's goodies or the other's frightening stare. My tail lashes as images of the latter form, but I try my best to make them dissipate. Concentrate on the Telling! You have seen, worse after all.

It takes me a while to grasp the bones -- a set of five, should anyone be observing my struggle -- but once I have them, I release them with a quick toss of my crown. "Does the lady have something precious in her basket?" The question bursts forth like a bullet from a gun, but I do not care if it goes unheard; it is mostly for the crowd's benefit that I even say them aloud, for the bones need nothing more than the thrower's intent.

I gaze intently at the falling things as they return to their original position, a satisfied grin stretching across my face. "As you can see, pretty miss, the bones have spoken. You do indeed have a precious item under your care. Shall we study your goods to see which that might be? Or do you already know what it is that is so valuable?" At this I approach her basket, peering into the expertly crafted vessel to observe the trinkets within. Perhaps my curiosity is not as honest as my greed, but hey, at least the bones were!

Talking

some fortune cookies contain no fortune

April Mo @ flickr

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The mention of the bones telling the future was enough to make the queen forget all about the music and dance that floated nearby. “Oh, please, please!” she cooed in response to Grimmrot’s offer of a demonstration and she stepped forward around her basket a pace, though not entirely blocking the view of its contents. The queen had not noticed the fortune teller’s gaze settling on the contents, so busy looking at the bones she had been, but she would not have minded an admirer of her things anyways.

Indeed, the queen watched with interest as the black mare turned away to gather her bones and toss them across the field. As for Khan, who has been rather close to grabbing one of the things, he quickly darted away in an attempt to seen as innocent as possible. Watching the small creature as he tumbled off to some other mischief, the queen returned her attentions to the bones. Curious blue eyes watched them with interest but since she knew nothing of the craft it was all just a game to the pretty girl. As for the query about something valuable… Oh, Kahlua was as daft as she seemed. She had no idea the words were asking for a donation and she burst into laughter, bobbing her head and replying jovially, “Oh, there is plenty in there.”

“Is that all they say? That I have something valuable?” she added after Grimmrot had spoken again. Her smile faded somewhat at the revelation as, if that was indeed what the fortune teller was telling her, the queen found it all rather mundane. Of course there was something valuable in there. Nevertheless, she stepped back to allow Grimmrot to further investigate the things.

Still, as Grimmrot investigated, Kahlua was happy enough to divulge the history of each item. The orange and purple feathers which had come from the giant owl (as large as a horse!) that had given her Khan’s egg; the gray feather which had come from Africa; the music box and scorpion that had been gifts from Ulrik after she had given the Basin a blue glass scorpion; the glowing rock, which was a magic she had been gifted; and the basket itself, which was one of the first things she had created when she had become Glazier. On and on, she could have gone about each story, for each one was precious to her, but she let Grimmrot dictate where the conversation went… for now. Surely her telling about all the things had tired the fortune teller’s ears.
Kahlua

@[Grimmrot]

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post