the Rift

[OPEN] land of flames [campfires]

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
 evangeline</style>
Be of love a little more careful than of anything.
image by Csutkaa @ flickr.com</style>

As Evangeline made her way through the Edge she could not help but feel that they were utterly unprepared for Frostfall. It had only just begun and already its claws were sinking into everyone in Helovia, except for maybe the Dragon's Throat. She wondered if they were warm in their desert or if the cold northern air had penetrated even there. 'So what?' Tallis grunted grumpily from his place beneath his bonded's mane. While Evangeline did not much care for Tallis' tone she had to agree with him. It was none of her concern if the Throat was suffering, nor was it any of her concern if the Hidden Falls or the Basin were. Her care and priority was the Edge and its inhabitants.

It seemed as though Kaj and Kahlua had both been busy and so preparations for the coming season had fallen to the wayside. The pair were already responsible for so much it was understandable to some extent. Whatever had been occupying their time had to have been of some importance, she thought, so as the orange mare continued to walk she decided to take it upon herself to provide some source of comfort for the herd. 'Fire.' Tallis responded knowingly as his bonded came to a halt in a small clearing. There were many such clearings in the Edge that would be big enough to house a fire and allow several members of the herd to huddle together for warmth.

"Tallis, I need you to do something for me." Eva said quietly to her companion. In response he trilled quietly and peered from behind blonde tresses. "I need you to find Kahlua." 'Silly queen.' "Yes, Silly Queen. I need you to find her and lead her here. Then I need you to find Thor and bring him here." Tallis was reluctant to leave his warm shelter but did as his bonded asked. He flew low through the trees, searching first for Kahlua. It took him some time before he located the queen and when he did he circled around her, reached for her mane to tug at it to urge her to follow him. As he made his way back to his bonded he flew slow enough so that the queen would not lose sight of him but once he felt that she was close enough to Eva he went off in search of the stallion that the orange mare had also asked for.

"."

@[Kahlua]
@[Thor]

ooc:// kahlua and thor first, please, then open to the rest of the herd

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

k a h l u a

The chill in the air bit into the queen’s skin as she awoke from a mid-morning nap, frowning as she looked out towards the cliffs where the ocean ignored the cold and still beat against the rocky shore. There were few days where she thought back to the reign of Mirage and wished for the return of the mare, but this was surely one of them. When the dragon queen had ruled, fires had burned endlessly, fueled by the Dragon Heart and her golden queen. Them having been burned out in the darkness, the queen had no way to light them up again or surely she would have. They had always been one of her favorite things. But, she supposed, there was no use pining over things she could not change. There had to be another way to help…

But whatever that way to help was, was quickly forgotten when the little blue leaped from her back to take flight. Furrowing her brow to see what had gotten the feathered creature so excited, she caught a flash of orange- Tallis! Smiling brightly, she found that Khan had quickly taken to circling behind his elder (who surely he should have been respecting, not antagonizing), trying to encourage the creature into game. But Tallis’ determination only left the blue empty clawed with no game to speak of.

As for Kahlua, she was merry enough. Laughing along to the game, she picked up a trot and followed after the orange dragon back towards Eva. Whickering softly at the sight of her advisor, she looked up to thank Tallis but found him soaring back off in the other direction, still tailed by one young and playful Khan. Shaking her head, she returned her gaze to Eva and happily slowed before her. “I take it I’m needed?” Her words bounced as she spoke, the laughed playing on her lips. Even through the cold, she couldn’t deny that she was happy to see her fleur shouldered friend.

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes

Image Credits :: Table by Time

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

It was not often that I awoke in such a jovial mood, but today felt as a good a day as any for the occasion. I’d risen with the sun to admire the hazy light that nudged Helovia from her slumber and when the sun was high enough to bear down upon my back, I shifted from beneath the tall oak tree that had sheltered me in the night. My body was stiff from sleep and as I stretched and moaned into a vague sense of alertness, I noticed a soft thrashing emanating from the branches overhead. However, as I fixed a skeptical glare towards the pale blue sky, I saw nothing. I’d decided that grogginess had somehow planted a false idea in my head but, the feeling of being “watched” would not dislodge itself from my thoughts even though I didn’t think it to be threatening. Slowly, I ventured toward the heart of the Edge hoping that the warming rays of daylight would loosen the tension in my back and neck, but it did little. In fact, the strange anxiety that I felt only encouraged that tightness until I had to physically shake it from my limbs.

The closer I came to the core of the forest in search of water, the more irritated I felt at the prickling sensation of eyes all around me. Surely there was some logical explanation? But no answers came and still I sought the muted trickling of a small stream that cut through the forest even now in the growing cold of winter. When I breeched the low-dipping gulley I was careful to place my feet wisely, lest I tumble head first into the brook. Inching closer, I steadied myself upon the bank and then struck a wide hoof across a thin layer of crystalline ice to create a small hole from which I could drink. Just as I was lowering my face to ambling surface of the water, a heated touch brushed across my rump and I squealed more in surprise than in pain.

My legs buckled beneath me and I struggled to stay upright in the shifting sands of the river bank, but as soon as I had gathered myself in order to whip around, I noticed a high-pitched trilling that sent an angry spark through my ribs. Tallis. Scowling, I clambered back up the ravine to search out the definite culprit and my eyes narrowed upon a burnt-orange birdlike creature zipping through the low hanging branches around me. “I see that you’ve decided to follow through on former plans!” My voice carried through the quiet like a chainsaw and when I chanced a moment to inspect my lower region, I noticed a patch of dark, singed hair. Muttering to myself, I walked on in order to defy the anger and humiliation rising up from my stomach. What was I supposed to say? Oh Thor, how did THAT happen? Oh, you know… someone else’s dragon thought it’d be a good idea to burn my ass. How cute!

Grudgingly, I had decided to head back to my own damn tree in hopes of sleeping off this situation but before I could make it ten feet, Tallis lilted through the trees before me and trilled at me as though laughing. I glared at the little vermin before attempting to veer around him, but as it appeared, the bonded had other ideas. Quickly, he flapped his way to the back of my neck (with much protest on my part) and collected a mouthful of black mane which he pulled quite urgently in the opposite direction of my descent. Sighing, I gave in to Evangaline’s companion, ultimately hoping that she was alright.

As I followed the little orange beast in zig-zagged patterns through the dying forest, I caught a whiff of his bonded’s scent. But it was not alone; no, it was intermingled with another aroma I’d grown to know well. When I approached the duo, both Eva and the Queen, I murmured softly to alert them of my arrival. “I don’t suppose you sent this little devil, hm?” Turning sideways, I revealed the little gift that Tallis had left me, as promised from the first time we’d met. I laughed upon looking toward the chestnut mare in hopes that she would catch my humor and not mistake it for true annoyance. “Evangaline. My Queen. What can I do for you ladies?” I nodded to each in turn before thinking quietly to myself. I’d obviously gotten myself into something here… Mares had a way of manipulating even the best of us. I could only hope that they hadn’t roped me into anything too serious.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

colourize-stock | burtn | firenzelotus22 | semperfiesty

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Outcast
 evangeline</style>

"I take it I'm needed?"

Evangeline turned as the queen approached and she offered her a kind smile. "Yes, I asked Tallis to find you and bring you here." She admitted. "I hope he was not too rough or forward in his actions." She found that sometimes her dragon could be a bit mischievous and get on the wrong side of other horses. From the way Kahlua spoke and the bounce that seemed to be in her step she figured that the dragon had not been too rough. He liked his Silly Queen, though, so perhaps she was being a bit nervous about him being rough. The orange mare's gaze rose and she watched as her dragon flew off to gather the other individual she had asked for, seemingly tailed by the Queen's own dragon. She wondered how far Tallis would allow him to follow before he put the youngster in his place, and as she wondered that she could feel Tallis' annoyance brewing. "Be gentle with him, Tallis." She reminded the orange as his pursuit continued.

At his bonded's reminder the orange dragon decided it would be best to ignore the younger blue that followed behind him. He didn't have time to put the other dragon in his place and find Thor. Eva would end up getting impatient with him and would fuss him if he took too long. So the orange continued to flit through the trees until he found the big stallion fast asleep. He landed roughly on one of the tree branches and watched him for only a few seconds before he woke up. His scaled head tilted as he watched the giant begin to move and, oddly enough, he was moving in the right direction. Tallis decided to follow behind Thor since he was already walking toward Eva and the Silly Queen, but he could see the stallion getting tense. Did he sense him?

"Hurry Tallis."

The mental prod from his bonded spurred the dragon into motion as the stallion dipped his head to drink. He swooped down from the trees and allowed a small stream of fire to lick at Thor's backside. He trilled as the stallion's legs buckled and he reacted to the small fire he'd set to his backside. It could have been a lot worse, but he didn't feel like that would be any consolation to Thor. Unfortunately for him the stallion changed his direction and began to head away and with much effort on his part Tallis managed to get close again. When he did he grabbed a chunk of his mane and yanked at it until Thor acquiesced and followed behind him.

Thor's voice made Evangeline look in his direction and she frowned as he called Tallis a little devil. "What did he...?" Before she could finish her question Thor turned and she spotted the singed patch of hair on his bum. It made the orange mare frown and she turned sharp emerald eyes on the dragon that had settled himself on a tree branch nearby. In response the dragon grinned toothily at Thor. 'Could have been worse. Lot of butt to burn. Only set small fire.' Evangeline sighed and shook her head as Thor laughed. At least he was not out for blood because of Tallis' shenanigans. "I apologize." She said despite Thor's laughter and seemingly lack of anger. "You are in SO much trouble when this is over." She shot another glare at the dragon his shrugged and flew toward Kahlua with the intent of perching on her back because she would protect him from Evangeline's 'wrath'.

He laughed quietly.

"I asked you both here for a purpose." She said, deciding that it was time to get down to business. "Frostfall is already upon us and I feel that we are sorely unprepared for it. The days are cold and the nights are freezing and it is only the beginning. I wanted to suggest a series of campfires set in small clearings like this, which I need your permission for." She said as she looked pointedly at Kahlua for a moment before turning her gaze to Thor. "And I asked for you because if Kahlua approves the campfires I will need someone to help haul enough lumber to get them started and keep them burning throughout the cold months. It'll be a big job, though, and with having several campfires we'll need the herd's help." Again, she looked at Kahlua. "If you approve and would call them here we could delegate jobs and get started."

"."

ooc:// kahlua and thor first, please, then open to the rest of the herd

k a h l u a

“No, not at all,” she responded kindly to her Emissary, rather pleased to have found Eva again. Although the chestnut was often distant, she was wise in ways that Kahlua could only ever hope to aspire to. Besides, with all of the Sunshower’s traveling back and forth between here and the island, she felt like she had missed out on many of her friends. Too much time wandering and not enough time spent in one place was a hard life on the social woman. Some days, it always seemed like she was out in the wilds on her own again, with nobody around her for miles. Except that this time she had a lot more responsibility.

As for the arrival of Thor… it left the queen with nothing short of brilliant laughter falling from her lips. The sarcastic amusement coupled with the singed hair and look upon his face was all but hilarious to the painted woman who was more child than adult most days. She had not really expected his arrival since she had been paying little attention to the mind of the blue, who had only been busy adding to Thor’s sense of dis-ease in the forest. When he had grown tired of chasing Tallis he had instead decided to emulate him, stalking through the trees with all the grace and quietude of an elephant in a china shop. At least he had not ruined the apparent mission.

Not privy to the silent conversation between Emissary and the orange, Kahlua was surprised to see Tallis attempt to join Khan, who had settled onto her rump just moments before. Wickering warmly that he thought enough of her to settle on her back, she welcomed him with a smile. All the while, Khan began chuttering and chirping, not nearly so ferociously as he had hoped, in an attempt to keep his perching spot on the queen’s back as his own. Shaking her head, Kahlua let the dragons do as they pleased. So supposed as long as Tallis didn’t give her a love burn like he had Thor, the pair could aruge like a married couple upon her back if it pleased them.

“Thor, it’s so nice to see you’ve settled in,” she said with a smile, but not daring to make her greeting too long. It was Eva who had called them here, and so it was Eva that she would listen to. Admittedly, the fires were a good idea, and one she had not thought her own herd capable of maintaining without the DragonHeart. However, Eva seemed determined, and there was no harm in trying. “You’re right, as always,” she said with a smile. “The fires would be welcome to chase away this cold.” As if on cue, a gust of cold wind blew through the area, chilling the queen straight to her bones.

“The cart that Aaron made would be helpful for this,” she suggested, hoping that it was in Dragomir’s clearing and that she would be able to find it. “I can go get it and rouse the herd on the way.” Lingering a moment to see if Thor would have any words or suggestions before she left, the queen turned to rouse both the little orange and blue from her back so that they could remain here and be useful. With that, she began to prance off, whinnying and calling the herd as she headed towards the place where Dragomir stayed, intending to return within a few minutes. It would not be fun to pull the cart across the frozen forest floor, but it would be for the best. Maybe she would just pass it back to Thor when she was done.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A southern wind picks up abruptly. It is cold and fierce, and even dark. It brings forth a feeling of unease and anxiety bordering on panic. Something is wrong. Something is wrong.

S O M E T H I N G

I S

W
R
O
N
G

A snake tumbles from the treetops with a solid thud. That in and of itself is a peculiar thing, because there is no jungle to welcome snakes with an affinity to heights. That however, hardly stands out compared to the fact the serpent is eating its own tail.

Its stomach is engorged with its own flesh. Its color is off hue, faded beneath the bright crimson of its blood, drawn by its fangs sunken into its sides. Disturb it and it will only reconvene, unphased by the act it commits, though occasionally it does twitch, as if in pain.

Like worms from the woodwork more snakes tumble from the trees and slide out of the fog. Each one, once seen by the horses, proceeds to begin its self consumption. All the while the fog drifts in heavy and the trees sway furiously under the harrowing winds. One branch can no longer take it and snaps off, thundering down right towards the horses and the snakes.

It falls with a shudder of wood upon the serpents, crushing them all.

The wind stops. The fog drifts back into its usual state. The eerie feeling subsides, other than the lingering memory of what just occurred.

darknightoftroy

The expression on Evangeline’s face was priceless as she glimpsed the ugly reminder of her bonded’s little love bite resting sweetly on my hind end. Though the blackened hide would take a while to grow back, I imagined it would return with little nurturing. Perhaps I would see one of the Edge healers for a bit of salve to heal the minor wound but until then the slight burning would have to be tolerated. “No need to apologize, at least we know where we stand with each other…” I smiled bitterly to the little orange, taunting him with my eyes. He had taken perch on Kahlua’s narrow back and though he would not see my promise for payback, as he was wholly distracted with the Queen’s own companion, such promises would be upheld. I would make sure of that.

Though I was still festering over the many ways I would make Tallis regret his little stunt, Kahlua was able to manage my interest as she addressed me by name. I was glad to see that she was finally settling into her position as Queen because the tension I’d seen weighing heavy on her shoulders upon my arrival looked impossible to carry. Yet now she appeared more relaxed and in tune with her responsibilities and that delighted me. I owed her a sincere apology and at some point I would make sure that she received one… After all, could I blame someone for feeling ill-at-ease ruling over something as vast and pretentious as the Edge? “Thank you Kahlua. I am more than grateful for your support in my homecoming.

Distractedly, I turned my attentions back to Eva, who for all intents and purposes, had launched into a detailed plan in which she was more than determined to act upon. However, I couldn’t help the smile that parted my charred lips because the fires of the Edge had been something I’d mentioned to her in our first meeting... Whether or not she actually thought it was a good idea or not, considering she could build fires of her own with Tallis, at least she had been brave enough to put the plan into action. Maybe she worried for my wellbeing and that’s why she had thought to bring it to the attention of Kahlua; either way I couldn’t help but to smile at her coyly, sneaky little bat that she was… “You can count me in oh pure one. My body is yours to command.” Well, wasn’t I the snarky one today? Feeling proud of my attempt to uproot her in her efforts to steal my suggestion, I smirked devilishly at the chestnut mare that I’d grown to like enough in our time spent together.

However, as Kahlua went to gather the cart and more hands in which to aid in our endeavors, I noticed the slight lilting of the breeze as it grew stronger and eerily enough, even colder. Looking to Evangeline and Tallis, I shrugged slightly. It was strange that it had been a pretty casual winter day just moments ago,but now it almost felt as if… a storm was rolling in? Could that even be? My breath came in short, shallow gasps as the gale wrapped itself around me lifting my mane away from its position on my neck in a display of elemental authority. My skin seemed to crawl and shift along my muscles indicating a sense of absolute terror and my heartbeat raced within my chest. But, despite the dark feeling that pushed my pounding heart into my throat, I stood tall and concrete against the gaining winds.

Though Kahlua had escaped the frightful situation, in which I was wholly glad, I now worried about Eva and I as a thick fog began to roll in. I was certain that this was no natural occurrence but I was afraid to answer my own question as to what in the hell it could be. Moving forward, I spread my fragile wings in an attempt to disperse the growing zephyr away from my face. Once I was standing a mere few feet away from Eva and Tallis, I whispered to her in a deep, guttural voice. “What’s going on?” I lowered my face to watch her expression, hoping and willing her to have some answer to all the questions that spread vast before me. However, I had little time to seek solace in her company before a deep thud sounded behind me and made my nerves stand on end. Whirling around, I faced the most peculiar thing I’d ever seen in Helovia. A serpent, circled around itself with a good portion of its own body hidden away behind its own teeth, lie a few yards behind me. My natural instinct was to trample the thing immediately and I entertained the idea for a brief moment before the thudding sounded again. Only this time, it came in numbers too many to count. I jumped and guffawed in a pitch I didn’t know I could reach until now because I was still a mere horse beneath the layers of wing and mysterious power. My muscles were tense as I cast a curious eye to the thick fog as it turned the frosty grasses into swaying serpents themselves. I was so lost.

Upon the ground, more snakes inched into view and my skin began to crawl. I didn’t know how to take this or what they were going to do and most of me knew that if I didn’t high-tail it out of there I would be facing the consequences. But Evangeline… I couldn’t leave her to deal with these monstrosities on her own and so I turned back toward the chestnut with a bewildered expression. “Eva, get your ass over here.” I’d never referred to the mare in shorthand before (other than in my thoughts), but I didn’t have time left for niceties and I figured that the mare would understand that I didn’t have time to deal with proper manners when it came to facing the oddities we now faced. “Don’t touch them. Don’t even get close to them.” I feared what would happen if one of them decided to strike my companion or worse- me. On a side note I added, “Keep Tallis under control. We don’t know what they’re capable of…” That little monster may have been a nightmare but at least I could settle out debt at a later date… without these eerie serpents threatening our lives.

But of course, as things do, the experience ended in the most abrupt of ways. From one of the dying trees fell a thick branch, mottled and worn from years of life, right onto the gathering of snakes. They lay crushed beneath its weight with their beady eyes still open as a ghostly reminder of the fear I'd felt only moments before. Everything from that point seemed to happen so quickly because the fog seemed to recede back into oblivion and the gusty winds seemed to dissipate back into the heavens. I shuddered momentarily, trying to mask the evident fear dictating over my expression before blotting it all out entirely. I'd had no idea what was going on-still didn't. I was terrified. I was relieved. Damn, was Evangeline okay?

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

Outcast
 evangeline</style>

"Thank you." Evangeline responded as the queen revealed that there was a cart they could use to haul wood. She had been hoping for such a thing and that was the very reason that she had asked for Tallis to find Thor. She also thought that he would be helpful because he'd been the one to mention the fires to her only a few days prior. He, however, did not seem too intent on bringing them to Kahlua's or Kaj's attention, which was why she had decided to do it herself.

“You can count me in oh pure one. My body is yours to command.”

"Tallis..." She spoke the dragon's name as Kahlua turned to leave and, rather begrudgingly, the dragon left the protection of the queen and flew back to his bonded and the hulking giant beside her. He turned his head toward the stallion and flashed his sharp teeth in a cheeky grin. Evangeline finally turned her attention to Thor and addressed his previous comment. "That's exactly why I asked for you, sir Gentle Heart. I do hope your body is up for the challenge." She flicked her tail and gazed steadily at Thor to show that his comment did not have its desired effect. He knew she had been a leader, she'd dealt with cheeky bastards before and could handle them.

What she could not handle was what happened next.

The wind did not seem odd at first but as it persisted there came a feeling of something being wrong. Evangeline could not quite place what, exactly, was wrong with it but it did not feel normal. When the fog began to roll in she found herself stepping closer to Thor, but he was moving closer to the fog. Her legs locked and she stood rooted in place, not willing to move even an inch closer to the fog. She began to have the irrational fear that something was hiding in the fog. Something sinister. "Don't touch it!" She whispered in a panic laced voice. She just shook her head as Thor asked what it was. She didn't know and even if she did would she be able to calm her panic and fear enough to explain it?

Tallis moved from Evangeline's back to the ground and blew a steady stream of fire at the fog in an attempt to dissipate it, but it remained as thick as ever, causing more panic to rise in Eva's chest. "Its ... its not normal..." Her voice trailed and mere seconds later she was jumping forward, away from the thud that she had heard behind her. Eva was not fearful of snakes but as she turned and caught sight of the one on the ground behind her eating itself made her eyes grow wide. She stepped back once. Twice. Three times. More thuds made her stop and she realized, as more snakes came from the fog, that she was trembling. Tallis his and growled warnings, smoke billowed from his nostrils as he threatened the serpents but they continued to come.

"Eva, get your ass over here."

The orange mare did not argue or protest. Instead she stumbled over her own hooves in her haste to get to Thor and once she was near him she pressed against his side while Tallis remained on the ground in front of them in an offensive stance. Thor certainly didn't have to tell her twice not to touch the snakes becuase she had no intention to. She had no intention of letting them get near her, but god what if the fog kept coming? What if they became enveloped in it? "There's something out there..." She was certain of it. "This isn't right... none of this is right..." Her voice drifted off as Thor told her to keep Tallis under control and she simply nodded her head.

"Tallis..." The dragon's name had barely left her lips when a tree branch fell from high overhead and crushed the snakes that had begun to consume themselves like the first had. Immediately Tallis tried to set fire to the branch, intent on making sure that the snakes were dead, that none had escaped their fate. Eva wondered if their fate would be similar to the snakes. She was still trembling when she looked at Thor, wondering the same thing he probably was.

What the hell just happened?

"."

@[Kahlua]
@[Thor]

Evangeline’s panic wafted over us all as unintelligible words drifted slowly from between her parted lips. I wanted to hear them or at least comprehend what she was trying to say… but the understanding that I sought so desperately never came. Instead, my mind betrayed me and drifted into the mist. I didn’t know what it found there but when it finally returned it was only because Tallis, in a flash of orange, had leapt from Eva’s back and onto the hardened ground at her hooves. His protective flames licked across the swells and into the thick fog, but they did not penetrate the thick wall. Instead they seemed to drown within them, masked by the ominous dread that swept in with the gusting wind. As I tried to formulate everything happening around me, the thudding increased, sending Eva into evident shock. She shook and trembled like a small child might in the cold which, oddly enough, touched my heart even in the midst of such fear and strife.

I could barely measure the time it took Evangeline to recognize my voice amongst the discord, but when she finally responded to my warning, her soft footsteps led her willingly into my waiting arms. Her warmth against my shoulder was the only reminder that the horror befalling us was actually real in spite of my need to blot it out or call it mere fantasy. My skin twitched beneath her touch as our tensions flared between us, shifting and exchanging power and depth until the gales finally parted the fog in order to reveal the mass carnage all around. Even though the giant branch that had come crashing down under the weight of the horde of peculiar, cannibalistic, serpents had brought an abrupt end to the awful scenario, I was still reeling.

Tallis, true to his character, tried to set the limb aflame and I took the moment to glance around and take in the queer scenery. Crushed corpses littered the frozen ground and their remnants, though a relief, made my stomach turn involuntarily. They did not stink of death as I imagined they ought, despite the fact that somewhere deep within I knew that it would be days before the acrid stench of passing drifting through the surrounding area. There were many breeds of serpent here, some colored in deep, sunless black and others in various shades of forest wood. But they had burned themselves into my mind’s eye and I was uncertain when I would find myself relieved of the memory. I daresay I hoped it would be soon.

Eva’s radiating warmth grazed the surface of my attention and I turned slowly to gaze at her with hesitant eyes. A grimace rested heavily upon my black lips and there was little I could do to contain it as I spoke to her in soft tones. “Are you alright?” Shortly after giving her a reassuring look, I glanced to Tallis as the little dragon stood waiting, and diligently so, at our feet; perhaps he was expecting more of the monstrous serpents to fall from above our heads. I wanted to tell them that everything was okay now, that we would not have to worry… But I knew it would be a lie and I did not consider myself a liar.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

OOC| I think the rest of the herd can post from here or whomever wants to help with the campfires!

Leeka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Leeka

Somehow, she had a habit of hearing Kahlua on her walks. Like a song the painted queens voice drifted through the pines, its source remaining indistinct but its message clear enough. Quick as it came though the voice drifted away, lost in the snowy shadows of the woods. Campfires? At the thought of warmth Leeka's body gave a shiver, reminding her of the cold that lingered all around, freezing whatever it could. Icicles hung like tranlusent fangs from the branches and snow soaked in the cool redinece of the moon.Without a doubt it was well and truly winter, or Frostfall, as they called it here. A better name, she thought idly to herself.

Funny how it had already been a year since she had found her home in the Worlds Edge, found by Kahlua in the Threshold nearly overwhelmed by the very weather that covered the land now. The memory brought a smile to the mare's face, as most memories are want to do. However, a shiver crossing her spine reminded the appaloosa of Kahlua's invitation to the campfire and promptly began moving to the aforementioned spot for the event, eager to feel its pleasant embrace and aid in whatever way she could.

A sudden shift in the wind almost immediately lashes through the trees from behind as the appaloosa picked her way through the snow, biting into her flesh with bitter cold. Branches whipped in the open air under its fury, dislodging icicles from all heights and swallowing the mare in a flurry of snow kicked up from the now howling wind. Throughly bewildered, it was all the mare could do to stop and bare the brunt of the onslaught, unable to see properly as her field of sight was reduced to only a few feet, hindered also by the lashing of her own mane against her face. It was in those few moments, however, that another sense overcame Leeka. In an instant her heartbeat quickened and her nares flared, suddenly alight with a profound fear. It was irrational and she knew it, but at the same time it wasn't. Something was wrong. That was all her instincts screamed. Her skin crawled under the weight of a thousand invisible eyes and there was nothing more that she wanted to do but run. But where? She couldn't see!

A pain suddenly shoots up from one of her hind legs as an icicle comes crashing down beside her, splintering into a galore of translucent shards, some of them slicing her skin. The wounds themselves were superficial, but it was enough to jar the mare into a full gallop through the shadowy woods, spurred on by her overwhelming sense of danger. It didn't matter were she went, she just had to get away from whatever was here. Leeka ran until the winds died down, which was a rather brief affair, and slowly stopped along the edge of a clearing to catch her breath.

Just what was that? How weird...

Still slightly revved from her adrenaline rush it took Leeka a few moments to realized that she wasn't alone. Ahead of her were two of her fellow herdmates, though she had no idea who they were. Shaking herself to forget , Leeka trotted lightly to join up with them, skirting the edge of a massive branch that had apparently fallen in the freak gale just moments before, blissfully unaware of the carnage that laid beneath it.

"Is this where the campfires are? I heard Kahlua summoning the herd..." Her voice chimes lightly into the air, " I'm willing to help, if there's anything left to be done."

" Talking"
Tthinking
Little steps, all for you
Image Credit

k a h l u a

Oblivious to the darkness that had overtaken their clearing shortly after she left, Kahlua returned to the once pair, now trio, huffing and puffing dramatically as she dragged the glass cart along behind her through the snow. Though her grunts and groans and sighs were wholly unnecessary, the cart was hard work for her light frame to pull and the tires resisted being drug across the frozen ground. By the time she returned to the group she was damp with sweat, shivering as the cold bit at her side. Perhaps if she had known what terrors had befallen them in her absence she would not have made such a noisy return; instead, she burst into joyous laughter as she noticed the burning stick on the ground. It was not until after she gurgled out happily, “I see you started the fire without me!” that she noticed the scent of burnt flesh with the scent of burnt wood. Even then, she only assumed it to be another one of Tallis’ attacks upon Thor and shook it off. Better to be naïve, perhaps, in this situation.

Ignoring the fact that Eva and Thor were now dangerously close together and that they both wore looks of terror upon their faces, the queen shook herself out of the harness that she had been using to pull the cart. “That’s for you now, Thor,” she said with a shake of her head, harrumphing as though she couldn’t believe she had had to cart it all the way here by herself. But she was not really upset, only dramatic. Indeed, as she stepped away from the cart, she forgot all about her hemming and hawing about the weight she had pulled and turned her attention to the newest to join this little group- Leeka!

“Leeka! I hope you’re doing well! Have you settled in well? This is Thor and Evangeline. Eva advises us, Thor has returned after an absence,” she offered, in case Leeka had yet to meet either of them. Of course, conspicuously absent was the fact that Thor had also been a leader in years past. But never mind that, for that scuffle had been had and had died when she had stepped aside to let Thor enter his home. For a moment she lingered by the fire, letting the warmth dry the sweat that had dampened her hide; however, her attentions could not be held long by one task. The queen just as quickly bounded a few yards beyond the group and began to gather wood, grabbing a stick in her mouth and pulling it back towards the fire that Tallis had started. It would have to be bigger if it was to remain lit. If this was to be the first fire, then so be it. At least she did not go too far- she would easily be able to hear the others if they were to chat with her while they all worked. Khan helped as well, gathering small sticks and beginning to lay them in the cart to act as kindling for a second fire.

Outcast
 evangeline</style>

"Are you alright?"

Evangeline nodded wordlessly, not trusting her voice since she had fallen silent after babbling for so long about not touching the mist. The sinister feeling dredged up memories and feelings that she wished had stayed in the past, but now it was all at the forefront of her mind. Shades, hissing, rustling, slashing, bleeding, screams, cries for help, dying gasps. 'Eva!' Tallis had taken to the air to settle on his bonded's back, but the minute he touched her she flinched and shied away from Thor. Her ears were back and hopped, intent on bucking the dragon from her back. 'Eva stop!' The dragon's shout made the mare's legs lock and she stood in place, trembling and wide-eyed. 'Over now. All gone.' "Its happening all over again. Just like Isilme...." 'No' Tallis disagreed. 'Shads in Isilme. Not here. Something different.'

The orange mare flinched again when Leeka arrived but the combination Tallis' reassurance and Thor's quiet strength was aiding in calming her. She sucked in a deep breath and exhaled slowly as the other mare began asking about the campfires and offering to help. "We uhh... We need to gather wood." Her voice was weaker than she would have liked, but she pressed on. "Kahlua should be bringing a ... a wagon. We can load it and bring it to another site." She wanted nothing to do with the area they were standing in. Part of her didn't even want the wood there, but she was not foolish enough to leave good timber.

"I see you started the fire without me!"

Evangeline turned her head to Kahlua and frowned. "Did you not see what happened?" Had it only been her and Thor that had witnessed it? Or had it all been in her head? Eva looked to the stallion, her frown still in place. "You saw it, didn't you?" She whispered to him as Kahlua began introducing them to Leeka.

"."

Chaos surrounds me. It infiltrates the crevices of my thoughts like water to ice in the winter… As if in slow motion, things begin tapering down around me. Though the frost and the snow cover the world in white, I know that it should be painted in red. Something sinister still lingers heavily within the sheer veil of the mists and they no longer appear to comfort me as I gaze around at their pallid faces. Quietly, I take a moment to attempt to collect myself, though I do not find solace in the action. Instead I only notice my racing heart and the way that my legs seem to tremble slightly beneath me; I am unsure if they are even capable of keeping me afloat anymore. However, when another painted mare floats across the tree line with curious eyes that remind me of pale green jewels, I snap into action and look around to Evangeline. The other mare is oblivious to our panic in spite of the way she carries her sloped shoulders… after all, it is hard to miss the palpable feeling of fear that drifts across the meadow like a ghostly apparition. I can nearly watch it, swinging its massive tail like a sword until finally dispersing into the wall of fog.

I feel foggy… like I am distant or lost, standing outside of a glass wall between reality and the surreal events that had taken my breath away only moments ago. As the dirt-painted mare speaks lightly to us, I cannot help but smile manically. She really does not know and though I don’t want to be the one to break her starry little world of bliss, something deep inside fights to free itself- the truth. However, just when I find the words and they dance happily along my tongue, seeking release, they are stopped quite violently.

The soft jostling of wagon wheels upon the frozen ground catch my attention and I look away from Evangeline and the other, hoping that whatever is coming might be able to answer to the strange circumstances. But of course it is just our Queen and she, like the earthy painted mare, appears ignorantly unaware of everything that has just transpired. In fact, she avoids the carnage and the fright clearly written on our faces as she exclaims about the fire that Tallis started out of fear for our lives. I chuckled quietly to myself, feeling all the more insane for having the knowledge it would take to instill fear in the innocent hearts of my family. However, I can no longer force the words from my chest for they are just as awestruck as I am. Evangeline and I were the only ones to witness the strange occurrence and perhaps we would have to deal with the consequences alone as well.

Kahlua gestures toward the wagon she brought, possibly in hopes that I will come to collect it from her but I am frozen in place. I cannot force my legs to cross the distance between us to gather the handles, let alone pull it back into the wood in order to assemble the tinder it would take to start another fire. In a moment of clarity, I glance into the trees wondering if more terror lurked in the midday shadows…

As an afterthought, I turn to look at Eva and Tallis with a little more sympathy than I could actually muster. Her expression tells a story of horror and though I had been absent when she needed me most, I could now think clearly long enough to notice that she had moved away from me in a manic attempt to free herself of the shock that came with the serpents. Her muscles are strung tight and she appears to flinch at any and every small movement, but in some vain attempt to comfort her, I step forward to stand at her side as a fortress of false strength. I am unsure of what has happened and even unsure of what it means, but the least I could so was offer solace to the haptic mare that had been there to endure it all with me… even if I had no real idea how to comfort her. Tallis had taken his spot upon her back once more and I glanced at the reptile hoping he would witness my uncertainty and calm Eva through their bond. She was a friend to me, but that didn’t mean that we were close enough to understand the inner workings of the other’s grief.

Leeka, as Kahlua had called her had mentioned something about the fires and though I knew that I was not ready to start working, I was hopeful that it would provide a helpful distraction from the mystery that was the “serpents”. When I was about to step forward toward the wagon though, Eva stopped me with her words. I froze, rigid and uncertain. I knew that it had happened and I knew that I was scared to death to face the truth of it, but I couldn’t deny her my support. “I’m not sure what just happened but there is something sinister in these woods. I can’t explain it though; I can’t even try to name the things we’ve just witnessed. My Queen, do you not see the disaster that has just taken place?” I motion to the burning corpses of the serpents beneath the branch, though they were blackened and shriveled now. I couldn’t imagine that I was that crazy to imagine the whole incident because Evangeline had seen it too…

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

@[Evangeline] @[Leeka] @[Kahlua]
OOC| Urm, this is kind of scatter-brained. Sorry... >.>