the Rift

[OPEN] I Don't Dance [Welcoming]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

A soft anxiety bloomed in my chest as the darkness of nightfall cast long shadows along the stiff grounds of the Threshold. I feared that Rekshana and I would not reach the Edge in time and, for one, did not want to suffer through the venomous cold of FrostFall when the sun went down… Turning slowly to face her while pausing in my descent from the claiming grounds, I cast her a fervent, pleading look. “Please forgive me dear, but we have quite a long journey ahead and with only a short amount of precious daylight remaining to guide us home, we need to be quick.” With one last apologetic smile, I gathered myself and launched into a gaited trot. My haunches felt sore and stiff from the jarring impact of the uneven ground beneath my hooves, but the muscles eventually settled after about a mile. I tried to keep an even pace so that the mare might be able to keep her wits about her after facing the burdensome task of venturing to Helovia, but I had faith that she would fare well due to her breeding.

She possessed long legs in spite of her height and her slender build was probably more adept for speed and stamina than I. However, I knew that I could run with the best of them if the situation were urgent enough and I felt that returning to the World’s Edge before nightfall classified as such. As the sun began to hide its rounded face beyond the horizon, I glanced to my right to find the soft rays of its parting level along the mare’s painted back. It tinted her auburn splashed hide in oranges and reds and they danced along her skin as she fell into step beside me. We didn’t have much longer before the shattered glass wall of the Edge indicated our arrival and so I slowed, knowing that she was probably just as worn by now as I- if not more.

Our destination is just ahead now. I suppose we can take this moment to catch our breath and relax.” In truth, my muscles burned protested from the long trek, yet the sensation was natural and soothing. I didn’t miss the way I’d felt in the uncharted world, a world in which my body ached for a new multitude of reasons. Food and water had been hard to come by and the lack of substance had made warding off predators and threats all the more difficult. I didn’t get to stretch my legs as much for fear that I’d suffer from exhaustion and eventually death… But here in Helovia, this awareness felt phenomenal. I missed being able to test my strength and my weaknesses. I wondered if Rekshana would feel the same. Safety in numbers gave one freedom and the ability to indulge and that was one of the sole reasons I was grateful to the life that the Edge and consequently Mirage had given me.

As the glass wall finally came into sight, I cleared my throat in hopes that she would recognize the gesture as one of suggestion. I wanted her to glimpse the failing light peering through the cracks of the crumbling wall and the way the mist waited to greet us just inside. She didn’t know of the Edge’s history and how the wall had come to face such ruin, but it made my home appear timeless and wonderful all the same. “This is the Edge, now your home. Come, you now have a family eager to meet you.” With that, I moved toward the narrow passage that parted the crystalline barrier. My song lifted above the fog, hoping to lull my kin and now Rekshana’s to come and greet our newest sister.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

colourize-stock | burtn | firenzelotus22 | semperfiesty

@[Rekshana]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Rekshana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Rekshana
❝Hold on to your heart; never let nobody take it over, ever take it from you.❞

As the red sun died and evening fell upon the land, hues of orange, scarlet, and indigo intermingled, creating a wondrous evening twilight. Stars, glittering like diamonds, began to peek out as the last of soft daylight faded away. The temperature dropped rapidly; Rekshana could feel Frostfall's icy grip tugging at her flanks. No words escaped her lips, for she said nothing, replying only with a brisk nod of her dainty head.

Keeping up with Thor seemed to have become no problem with Rekshana's slender thoroughbred legs. Not even her aching body could deter her from trotting along after the lofty pegasus with the animation she'd acquired from their encounter. It was the galvanizing feeling rising within her bones, that of knowing she might belong to something, and maybe even feel like she had a family again-- after all, her kin had been torn to shreds by the unfortunate trails of life. Her father and sister had made their own lives (at least she hoped), maybe now it was Rekshana's turn to prove herself.

As they traveled west, the tobiano mare kept a short distance behind Thor; scanning the overlying area as it changed from frosted open grass to groves of trees, tall and majestic, but dormant in the wake of winter. The pair of them established an easy pace as they crossed through the remainder of the Treshold on their way to the Edge, daylight waning the closer they came to the forest. As Thor led, she fell into step slightly behind him. Her outlandish purple eyes studied the foreign stallion, taking into account his massive draft stature, almost floating across the ground with large strides. His small feathery wings, which she had never seen upon the shoulders of a horse, did not cease to fascinate her. Cold, miniature clouds of vapor formed as she breathed softly, briefly looking up, glancing to the emerging night sky; hoping that it might reveal some answers or guidance. The woman allowed silence to surround them as they trotted along, recollecting her thoughts. Though the time was only a few years past, it seemed her loneliness had lasted a lifetime, during which nearly everything had changed as she was condemned to wandering alone. Her current place was not one she could have ever imagined. When the world turned to ash and dust, Rekshana could not have fathomed where the future would take her.

It was only a matter of time before she spotted the crumbling glass wall, large holes littering its perimeter. It extended from the cliffs of the land around, meeting in the center. Faint light reflected through the cracks and one narrow slit perhaps two shoulder-lengths, which must have been the entrance. Mist swirled around the base of the great barrier. "What happened here?" She inquired, almost quizzically. She scanned the mouth of the wall, then shifted her gaze back to Thor, marveling twinkle in her violet eyes remaining in the molten orbs. A slight grimace lingered on her features while her voice faded away, dusk settling across the World's Edge as they stepped towards the opening gateway of glass. Congealing night shed darkness as threads of the sun hung low on the horizon, casting long shadows. The fiery glare was dotted out by the towering barrier the cradled their home on either side. Though it was shrouded in darkness, a tiny brand of overhead light traced the through the clouds, little more than a roaming silhouette. As time went on though, the little mare drew unwittingly closer and closer. She held her head high, her charcoal tail streaming behind her; any onlooker would think she was a creature with a purpose. But she wasn't, at least, not exactly. Rekshana was drifting, a gypsy soul, unable to anchor where her heart belonged.

She followed Thor to a great door in the lucid behemoth, replying placidly,"I'm honored to join the ranks of your brethren, the Edge.". Rekshana managed to carry herself with a certain stoicism that kept secret her many sentiments. Despite the inevitability of it all, apprehension rose within the damsel's chest. Comforting her childlike fervor, she took in the peace and tranquility that the foggy gloom brought. The remarkableness of everything around her placed a hurry within her step, eyes wide with wonder, ears perked forward and listening into the unknown just beyond. Each step took her farther into uncharted territory, moonbeams of light fighting to break through the cloud's canopy and announce the reincarnation of night. Though it was surely no more than a trick of her mind, Rekshana felt colder without the moon's embrace; without its pale glow. There was always a presence of mystery, of fear, that came with the darkness. Wherever she went loomed perhaps the most frightening creature of any: the unknown. It was this unease, mixed with wonder, that transformed her graceful traipsing into a stalk of near silently placed footfalls as she stepped through the glass aperture.
@[Thor]

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
ALYSANNE

After being gone for a couple seasons, Alysanne had the dreadful feeling that she had missed out on an entire lifetime! Though of course that wasn’t true but there were a couple strange faces floating around and she didn’t like that. New faces were absolutely wonderful, of course, but this mare so enjoyed making friends with everyone that she could. So it was a far preferable alternative to go out and try to match faces up to names and be on friendly terms with everyone.

And that was her mission for the day.

There wasn’t much to do by way of the herb garden now that it was covered in snow but she checked on it daily, making sure that the snow cover didn’t get too deep but having faith in the natural processes of the world. This winter was colder than the last but this time they didn’t have the wall to protect them from the worst of the chilly winds.

She couldn’t help but adore the season, though. When she wasn’t huddling with others to keep warm at night she was exploring, marveling in the beauty that was Helovia dressed in Frostfall. Earlier this afternoon, after taking care of the dormant plants, she had played a game with Hemlock where they tried to see who could make a more perfect imprint of their body in the snow. Having considerable less weight to deal with – Hemlock had won hands down. Alysanne’s imprint looked like… well, like a mutant cow.

The pair had gone their separate ways for eating – Hemlock leaving the warm safety of his bonded’s wings to go hunt while she dug underneath the snow for some frozen grass – when she had heard a call coming from the border, near the glass wall. Well, the voice wasn’t familiar in the slightest so it seemed like a good idea to follow it and find out who it was. The sinking sun was taking with it most of the heat so she kept her wings tight to her sides (not that she had many other comfortable alternatives) and was thankful for that little bit of an extra layer.

There, in the dim light, she saw two figures – and a whicker escaped her as she picked up a trot to close the gap between them a little faster. She was right, neither of the figures were familiar. There was a tall, thickly built stallion with a set of wings all his own and a mare that could almost be Kahlua’s sister. Even though neither of them were familiar to her – the smile that brightened Alysanne’s eye was one of friendship and her warm voice breached the frosty air. “Good evening you two! I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure of meeting and I just couldn’t resist fixing that when I heard your call.” She hadn’t caught their words before she had arrived but perhaps one of them was a new member? Or both? Surely she would find out soon so there was no need to worry! “I’m Alysanne.”
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit Table by Sevin
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Life as we knew it would be changing before us. The painted mare, now Rekshana, would gain a family and we would in turn gain her… I couldn’t decipher how she felt about the looming walls that indicated our ascent into the Edge, but I hoped it would appear as the many things she’d been hoping to find. Every land kept its own secrets as did every individual, so I found no comfort in revealing the story behind our shattered wall. It glared at us from beyond, still in disrepair, but slowly being taken apart one day at a time. We were rebuilding… wasn’t that not enough? As if on cue, the earth-splashed mare cured the stillness with her gentle words. I had no definite answer to provide for her knowledge since I’d been living another life during the Wraith attacks. I’d heard of them in passing and I’d mourned my absence in those days in such abundance that I’d chosen to try and forget the matter altogether… But of course, fate would have me remember and the agony of my abandonment speared through me hard and fast. “Disaster, from what I can tell.

Was it wrong that I didn’t want to indulge her? Was it disrespectful that I chose to avoid the painful memories of days past? The longer that I debated it, the longer the silence of nightfall had to create distance between us, which only served to emphasize the growing sensation of shame that swarmed and fluttered in the shadows of my former kingship. It bred an inner hatred that often made a once virile man quite pessimistic. But as I’d always done and as I would do once again, I took those feelings and boxed them away within a distant part of my mind along with the rest of my mistakes. After all, with our home finally upon us I had little to fester over anymore, for its beauty overwhelmed my negativity with great ease. Tender evening light drifted lazily through the outer forest of the Edge and despite the dying of the day I was still comforted to find that a wide-faced moon had begun to climb her way into the ethereal skies above. Pale stars bloomed into existence around her and chased the sunset’s fading rays into hell’s ominous pits to dream of the rising of their faithful sun the next morning. Two families, competing for one throne, defeating one another night after night… What a vicious game to play.

With a self-conscious nod I averted my gaze to Rekshana, who as aloof as she was tamed my former awe into unsatisfied awareness. Standing in all her selfless glory, I couldn’t help but feel disquieted. Her formality seemed to separate us as we gazed longingly at this place that we both called home. Two beings, forced to merge into one whole in spite of the nothingness between us. I knew naught of her and she knew naught of me… But she’d chosen to accept this path anyway. I wanted to ask why, wanted to delve into her psyche and uncover the bitter parts of her past that had created this stony woman. She was most certainly capable of adopting civility when pressed, but what did that make her in the grand scheme of things? “Our ranks are nothing without the ties of family. We are not a unit, but more an organ depending on one another to breath, to live.You’d do well to remember that dear girl.

However, I had little time to explain myself before an unfamiliar painted mare, not unlike the many I’d come to find in the Edge as of late, came bounding toward us. She appeared whimsical and unaffected- something I could appreciate beneath the weight of all I’d unpacked at my feet only moments before. The baggage still rested heavy upon my toes as Alysanne, as the other had introduced herself, greeted us with fervor and animated expressions. She was clearly new to the Edge since I’d parted for the Wilds, but as far as she knew I was just another fresh face seeking her guidance… so I would let her guide me. “I am Thor the Gentle Heart and this is Rekshana, our newest member.” With a mild grin parting my lips and hiding whatever vague tension lingered behind my teeth, I looked to Rekshana in hopes that she would see as much as I’d seen upon my first day in the World’s Edge.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

@[Rekshana] @[Alysanne]
Well, um, I hope this turned out okay because... well, I don't even know.

Rekshana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Rekshana
❝Hold on to your heart; never let nobody take it over, ever take it from you.❞

The sky was alight with the array of color that announced the end of day and the arrival of night. The solace and silence of the absolute rapture of darkness. Soft flora, shimmering with frost, cushioned her hooves as they transitioned from the grit of dirt to the pleasantry of grass. She craned her graceful neck around, inhaling the fresh scents of the World's Edge. It was difficult to make out their surroundings with only the moon's glow for light. The painted woman was silent, thoughtful, sensing that the glass wall was a painful subject. Something about the way he spoke; perhaps the reluctant, vague disclosure that he provided, signified that it was not a matter to push or prod upon. At the same time, she wondered why. Maybe in time she would learn of how the great barrier came to be in such a state. However, its fractured condition did not take away from the magnificent glory it bestowed. Rekshana's violet orbs caught the Pegasus's eye. He seemed to be troubled, but she did not question him further.

Where one might live for flesh and blood in a herd like the Edge, this new culture was wholly alien to Rekshana. She had been born among the only family she felt she could ever consider such, although she did not mention this belief aloud. That home had been destroyed long ago and along with it any notions of ever truly being at peace in a single place. Oddly enough, a utterance within compelled her to band together with a herd. And here she was. Her lot in life was something that she was uncertain of, although she wished she knew what she was meant to live for. What did her heart truly desire most? The world scared her. Several thoughts regarding the topic crossed her memory, but her ideas were never consistent with one another. Hopefully, the Edge would give her an opportunity to erase her past. Almost three years of her life had been spent running, and it was not so simple a task as to simply ‘settle down’. Not when every moment you spent in exile was that in a land where the only thing that could be relied upon was your own four hooves and the ears on your head. It was not that Rekshana did not want to live in among a herd, for she very much liked the idea of if; it was that she was not accustomed to even slightly depending on others for her survival, and she was not so sure that the Edge would ever replace her loss. The gilded threads of companionship, the wiry webbing of imposing expectations - to what now might she owe, that may be traded for the wide and impressive spectacles of new homage? These bedraggled hinders were not important in the moment, she figured, at least there would be safety and shelter in numbers, as well as others who she might be able to make conversation with. Pushing all ponders of doubt to the back of her mind, she focused her attention on the surrounding scenery. "I'm glad of that, for it has been a long time since I've truly belonged anywhere. My first wish is to serve you and your family well. I hope I can find my place among the herd." she remarked faintly, almost in an absentminded fashion.

Slowly the horses' strides brought them from the divider which they had entered through, and the earth transformed into snow-laden grass, where dry sludge and foliage was replaced with looming trees and frozen shrubbery. Rocks still stood like massive black claws sticking up from the ground; the difference in climate and terrain marked being well away from the Threshold. There was a certain majesty about the World's Edge that Rekshana had never felt before. Languid steps brought the lady along beside Thor, marveling at the beautiful winter's night around her. Right now that purple fire gaze was cast to the sky, where outline of the round luna began to grow bright, white luminosity bathing the land in moonlight.

A breeze swept through the trees, ruffling the mare's thin mahogany-and-pearl coat, bringing with it the scents and sounds from both far and wide to be taken in. It was in the distance that a form grabbed her attention atop a formation of snow-powdered hills she had almost taken as a strange outcrop of it. There was little reason to approach, but little reason to avoid. After several silent heartbeats of deliberation the woman moved forward alongside the Pegasi with a guarded and careful step until she was able to determine the shape of another winged equine. Upon introduction it appeared that Thor did not seem familiar with this mare by the name of Alysanne. Dewy breath entered her lungs as she opened herself up to this unfamiliar face, like the wings of a dove extending in a luxurious display of purity. Her voice was of the gentle, courteous kind when she dipped her head curtly in greeting and spoke in tones of angelic softness, the comforting melodies of someone who had spent years avoiding conflict, "Good evening, Alysanne." Her body showed no signs of aggression nor affability as she peered at Alysanne curiously behind crystallized pools. She directed her cranium up high and held herself in an elegant manner, her alluring gaze watching the damsel carefully, thoughts lingering behind emotionless violet colored eyes.
@[Thor], @[Alysanne]

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
ALYSANNE
Well, one mystery was certainly solved - Thor was not new (or not as new) as his companion, Rekshana. She was quite curious about the stallion as well but worried it might be too impolite to change the subject from that at hand - a new member! Perhaps she will get a chance to fill in the blanks later on but for now, just knowing that they had both chosen the Edge as their home was more than enough for her to accept them wholeheartedly. There were very few exceptions during her year here where a newcomer hadn’t fit in completely with the mentality of the Edge. Or, at least, that was the impression that Alysanne had chosen to take from this land – the place that had become her new home and her new family. It was always exciting to see that maybe, just maybe, there was someone new who might be experiencing that same thing in the future!

Her attention turned from Thor, who made the introductions, to Rekshana when she added a polite greeting. The mare had a lovely voice but was hard to read. Still, friendly enough right off the bat when faced with a complete stranger – grinning from ear to ear! “Oh that’s wonderful! It’s a pleasure to meet you both and welcome to the Edge, Rekshana, we’ll be thrilled to have you! I’m one of the Moon Doctors so if you ever have any questions about the healing ranks, please just let me know. We’ve got a delightful herb garden and even a greenhouse being built so we can have some growing all year round.” She looked off towards the garden, though much of the Edge looked the same in the moonlight. One of her wings raised just slightly as though she were about to gesture towards it but then the reality of their timing set in. Not really much point then. So with a shrug she lowered the wing back down and looked back to her companions with a shy smile.

“Well, it’ll be easier to see in the daylight… and I guess in Birdsong when the snow thaws.” There was still a little bit of work that could be done during the winter, but with the herbs dormant there wasn’t all that much. “I'm still getting used to living somewhere with four seasons so sometimes I forget.” Alysanne added in a conspiratorial tone, grinning brightly at her own foolishness. The wonder of the change in seasons was something she had quite enjoyed while here at Helovia.

EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit Table by Sevin

gah sorry it took so long, just wanted to get something up! <3

@[Thor], @[Rekshana]
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

I’d seen this land painted in the pastels of morning and I’d seen it painted in the dark shades of night, but it still possessed the power to awe me, even now. Shadows dipped low and the mists seemed to grow thick around us limiting our depth perception. I wasn’t sure of the dips and swells of the land as they concealed themselves within the fog, probably laughing at our trio as they ran out of view. I knew that my hooves would have to find careful purchase upon the frozen grounds now, but I did not resent them for being so relentless. In fact, I was more than willing to tenderly scavenge my way across the Edge in order to seek solace from the single oak that sheltered me night after night.

The moon had reached for her throne as the stars lit slowly in the ebony skies above. I knew that the goddess of our home would find sufficient rule tonight in spite of my wishes for lingering daylight. I had wanted more than anything for Rekshana to witness our home in its evening splendor, but of course as things are wont to do, I was not blessed with the luck of my superiors. At times I wondered if they sought to foul me, if only to make me regret my leave and my loss of the heavy crown I’d once worn. However, I could not consider such fallacies when Rekshana and Alysanne awaited my attentions- that would hardly be befitting of a former King. Even with the knowledge of my own wandering mind, I felt as though I were lacking substance in the company of such figures of beauty which caused my vagrant eye to turn once again to the mare I’d brought from the Threshold.

She stood with such stillness that I could have mistaken her posture for diligence, but I was not so foolish to believe that she graced the Edge with determination so much as anxiety for what lie ahead of her. But I could not blame her for such fears because they were all a part of the natural life we all led. This custom and this life was all too new to her as it had once been for me some time ago. Slowly, I turned a knowing gaze to the auburn painted mare with fuchsia eyes, “Your place is already before you Rekshana… All you need to do is take it.” I had intended for this statement to be for her ears alone, but a family setting was not something that could be beckoned and removed at will, and honestly I had no quarrels with Alysanne playing witness to my assurances. I would have done as much for either mare in hopes of encouraging them according to any and every worry. Was that not my job as a friend and now family member?

While Rekshana sought comfort at my side, I paid Alysanne the attention she deserved upon hearing her excitable mentions of the herb garden and her standing position as Moon Doctor. Silently I congratulated her on such an achievement, though I knew within that she would have no real clue as to what I would be celebrating in her name. When I had been welcomed into the World’s Edge, dear Torasin had been our Moon Doctor and I missed the palomino greatly… His death had weighed heavy upon my heart; perhaps just as much as my beloved Tamira. “It is so nice to meet you as well good doctor.” I smiled warmly at the Moon physician before turning my light gaze back to Rekshana. I wasn’t sure how she would feel about such an audience but I was glad that she had been greeted by such a kindly being as Alysanne- in fact, this mare proved to be an everlasting representation of the Edge. She had done her part well.

With a softening countenance, I looked to the ebony painted mare with the utmost pleading of the eye, “Alysanne, I would be most appreciative if you could show Rekshana to a more gender appropriate safe place so that she might settle in for the night. I have no desire to keep her out in the cold of the night if she might be able to find shelter close to you.” I held little knowledge about the maintenance of a mare other than my former lover and even then Tamira had been entirely self-sufficient. I knew that the lifting of the moon meant that we all needed to seek shelter for the night and I had no intentions of thwarting those plans.

STANDING NEXT TO ME
oh the man I can be

@[Rekshana] @[Alysanne]