the Rift

[PRIVATE] so familiar a gleam

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

As much as Alysanne had needed to go visit her sister, being back in Helovia was just as liberating as it had been to leave. This was her home, after all, and she never tired of thinking that wonderful world: home. She hadn’t been wandering here for the sake of someone else, hadn’t spread roots because it was where Sasha or Iona was interested in staying. Not that she ever resented the stay in Nocturne – and really, Iona had stayed with her because she had stayed for Sasha – but Helovia was something new.

She had discovered it, quite by accident, and turned into a home. She had her family in the Edge and gradually that family was growing to involve the friends she had made in the other lands. From sweet Lena in the north to darling Voodoo in the south.

Oh! Voodoo!

Well she really should have known. She set out around dawn, not really caring to pick a direction but letting her legs choose where to go. The painted pegasus had simply felt like taking a walk, maybe finding a friend. She had alternated between chatting to and humming with Hemlock along the way, paying little mind to her surroundings. Perhaps this was why she often found herself lost? No matter.

So it really wasn’t until she had wandered her way far enough south to recognize the burning fires near the caves where they had spent so much time that she realized where she was going. She was going to visit Voodoo! Now that it had clicked, it sounded like an absolutely delightful idea. Too much time had spent since she had been in the company of his shy smile and his kind manners – not since that wondrous night when they had raced together beneath the stars. Completely carefree, she had shed all her worries with every pounding hoof-fall.

Yes, it would be good to see the dear stallion again.

A warm feeling of anticipation started in the pit of her stomach, battled only by Hemlock’s palpable dismay. Hopefully he would behave himself, perhaps if they were fortunate enough to meet the pair – Voodoo and the fuzzy little Ouija. At least then he would not feel so left out as her attention was focused elsewhere.

Now, this was the tricky part. She knew that Voodoo lived in the Throat because it had come up in conversation – and she knew vaguely which direction it was in… but she had never actually been there. She had no idea how to get there! She supposed that she could just keep wandering until she hit it – Helovia was only so big after all. It hardly mattered to her that there was only a slim chance that he would even be there today - if she were to even find the Throat then at least she would know where it was for future reference.

With an impatient huff, Hemlock rose off of his perch on her head and took to the skies – keeping relatively low but high enough so that his black eyes could pick out movement in the sea of grass that surrounded them. Paranoid little creature that he was.

Not seeing anything else for it, Alysanne began walking in what she thought was a southern direction (though really she was heading more east than anything now) and resumed her humming - spirits heightened once again.
Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Voodoo]

eek a bit rambly but it's a start <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Voodoo
i'm so happy cause today i found my friends
they're in my head

Small paws slapped the ground quietly, the dust that she has grown so used to not ever rising from the ground and powdering young Ouija's legs red. Big black eyes blink rapidly against the dry wind, little black lips parted just enough for her signature look to appear once more: a pink tongue rolls between sharp teeth, panting despite the freezing temperatures just outside of the fiery pit. A small rock, coated with the tiniest bit of frost, provides just enough space to hide behind.

'God damn mutt.' we growl in unison, unimpressed with her energy level while you plod along, playing into her constant game. "Oouuuiiiijjjjjaaaaaa." you call, ears swiveling around on either side of your thick, curly forelock. Jagged hooves clap on the hard pact earth, making much more noise than the kit had when she had passed over this same worn trail just moments ago. Months ago, this would have stressed you out to a point of walking sideways and profusely sweating in the dead of winter, but finally you've accepted the adventurous and playful side of your fox child.

As you slink toward the small boulder, Ouija crunches into a pouncing position, her tail sticking straight out behind her to find the balance that she lacks with all four feet pressed together. Just as you reach around the dusty chunk of earth, your sensitive ears prick at the sound of distant music. Frozen in your steps, you keep your left fore picked up, your back right tipped on it's rough edged hoof. Ouija, still hidden, lays her ears back as you freeze, wobbling back and forth while she tries to stay in place.

Bloodied skull lifts from the dusty floor, empty eyes scanning your surroundings with caution, body still immobile and cocked uncomfortably. It only takes a few seconds for the scent to catch up with the sound, and though it is labeled unfamiliar in your mind due to the icy grip of Frostfall, the soft tones in her song and briny coating of salt air mix together perfectly.

Alysanne.

Your lips curl into a hearty smile, stained teeth visible behind maroon lips as you relax your stance in hopes of not looking like an idiot to the painted female. Finally, Ouija flops over onto her right side, causing you to flinch at the soft thunk from behind the rock you stand only feet away from. She clamors to her feet, ears laid back in an irritated fashion before she peeks up at you from around the natural shield. Dark eyes narrow and bore into you, obviously unimpressed with your lack of attention. A false apology toys with your tight lips and you shrug down at the snow creature.

"Come on." you whisper, a hint of pleading laced in your words before you set off to meet the Doctor. Reluctantly, a small sigh exits her dark, wet nose, and the kit finds herself following right behind your heels. The flat terrain makes it easy to find the Paint, as you spot her from quite a distance before pause in your tracks, allowing Ouija to blow past you and try to screech to a halt. 'She's not very impressed with you today boy.' we state, the obviousness of our words only more emphasized with the continued glare that she shoots back your way. You ignore us, watching the beautifully pieced Doctor, hoping that she spots you from a far as you had her.

Text here "Chat here." Voices here

Table by Frostie
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

“Voodoo!” She called out in delight one she spotted the familiar form, standing out in the midmorning sun against the winter vegetation around them. Luck was certainly on her side today and she couldn’t be more pleased how the day was setting up to turn out. Certainly a wonderful start, at the very least. Hemlock circled higher, on the pretense that he was scouting for mice in the long grass, but it was pretty obvious that he was just trying to avoid the meeting for as long as possible. A little bit of curiosity peaked at the sight of the white fox, companions always brought out the friendly side in him, but still he remained in the air – grumbling softly through their mental connection in broken words she could just barely catch.

Brushing this off, Alysanne picked up a much quicker gait to close the gap between her and the unicorn who she promptly moved to greet him by bumping her muzzle gently against his. “I hope I didn’t interrupt you or anything but I was hoping to run into you. It’s been too long, my friend. I need more starlight races with you in my life.” The smile on her expression was bright now, happy to have this familiar pair before her again. It was such a fond memory, that night – nothing but them, the waves and the stars. Taking a step back and relaxing, emerald eyes flickered down to find the fuzzy white companion. “And Ouija! So good to see you again, little one. Though you’re not quite so little anymore!” She lowered her head here to whicker a separate greeting to the fox. Was the last time they had seen each other back in the caves?

“Hemlock…” She glanced up to the owl who had lowered his altitude somewhat while she was distracted, only to circle back up at her look. “Well he’ll come say hi in a moment.” Probably, anyway. Normally his curiosity got the better of his anger issues but he was quite the stubborn little owl sometimes. “How have you been, Voodoo? Is it as chilly in the Throat as it is everywhere else?” Frostfall had certainly arrived with a vengeance this year.

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Voodoo]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Voodoo
they're in my head

Your wish comes true and the mare heads your way; your heart thuds hard in your narrow chest, the same smitten grin still plastered on your messy face. Her gentle voice calls out to you by name, your ears both tipping forward in reaction and tail arching ever so slightly. "Hey, Alysanne." you mumble as she comes cloer. Your cheeks grow hot just before the physical greeting occurs; her hot breath against your rummy nostrils makes your stomach twist into an anxious knot and you nudge back softly, smile still pulled up tightly. The woman of the Edge was looking for you, and - somehow - she found you here in the Heart. "-I need more starlight races with you in my life." A soft, nervous chuckle lightens the air, empty eyes peering up from beneath thick, curly forelock at the earthy ones across from you. "That was fun, wasn't it?" you finally breath, remembering the moonlight bouncing off of the distant waters and gleaming off of her graceful body.

Uncomfortable with this wave of hormones that crashes through your veins, we push ourselves into the back of your head, hiding in the dim light and away from our bloodied windows that we watch your world from. Ouija crawls back toward you, reluctant to stand by your side, but interested in the woman that has so much interest in you. Alysanne directs her attention to the white fox and begins speaking; despite not being able to understand, a black tipped tail begins wagging back and forth slowly, shiny eyes following the emerald ones as they come closer and closer. A soft nicker and Ouija is basically purring with excitement. She reaches out to butt her head into the mare's dark nose and disappears under her body to hide between her legs.

"Yeah, she's, uh.. She's grown a lot." you pause, looking down at the ill-mannered fox. "So has her attitude." Each of you narrow your eyes at each other, Ouija laying her ears back like a pissed off teenager. We grumble about the mutt's attitude to ourselves, pointing chipped finger nails and scaly hands at her from our hideout. Ignoring us, your eyes follow Alysanne's as she looks up at the sky. You spot the circling raptor, left ear twitching back at the idea of your first meeting; a small peck at your face never hurt, but the idea of not being liked by something that flies bothered you. 'If that thing scares you, what about Aurelia?' we cackle, trying to piece together a picture of her white and gold body landing on top of you. The image almost makes you shiver.

"How have you been Voodoo?-" you're still staring after the bird, distracted by your own thoughts before you finally look back down at the green-eyed Doctor. She asked about the Throat, keeping a good conversation going. 'It's a skill, being able to talk to others.' we mock, rolling our eyes at your timid composure. As usual, your mouth drops to a tight line, a nod starting your response. "Very cold compared to what it's usually like." glassy eyes fall to your irritated companion, a grin following shortly. "Ouija seems to really like it." Hearing her name, her ears twitch and her eyes stay cast down from you.

"How's everything been.. back home?" Where she lives has slipped your mind, but you don't plan on letting her know that. As far as your concerned, having her here is a gift in the midst of this frozen hell, and you can't let her slip away too quickly with short, boring conversation. What you actually wanted was to wrap yourself around the woman and hold her in the cold; to be a strong man and protect her. Awkwardly, you clear your throat, shifting your weight around until most of your weight is settled on your left side. "You must be cold?" A shot in the dark, maybe, but a shot fired off.

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

It was fun, that race on the beach, and she was glad that he had thought so too. He was a little hard to read, this quiet friend of hers who seemed to space out every once in a while as they talked. It was endearing, that wayward attention span – getting distracted by the form of Hemlock in the sky and being brought back down by the sound of her voice.

Questions, so many questions, about him. There was a lot she didn’t know, after all. Where he was from, what his job was in the Throat, how long he had been in Helovia, whether he had a family… a mate.

The thought spurred a flare of jealousy and she was happy when there was something else to focus on. He mentioned how his companion had grown in both size and attitude and she chuckled at the comment. “This little sweetie? Surely not!” She asked unbelieving as she looked down at Ouija where she hit beneath her legs. Not unlike the last time they had met! Her heart warmed just at the sight. Hard to imagine such a sweet face having a big attitude though… Hemlock certainly had his days. An indignant chirp escaped him at that but his curiosity was beginning to get the better of him. The small, tan owl swooped down and landed on the earth a couple feet away from Alysanne and from Ouija. Pointedly ignoring the stallion, he focused instead on this white fluff ball that was hiding underneath the feet of his bonded. She almost looked like Imogen, just with fewer tails, and he liked Imogen, didn’t he?

Well hopefully they would get along. She was still hoping that Hemlock would warm up to Voodoo as well – because she had every intention of spending as much time with the unicorn as possible and it would be so much easier. Alysanne felt as though she was positively shining she felt so ridiculously happy right now.

With her thick coat, she could certainly see why Ouija would prefer the cooler weather over the heat of the summer. This must be just perfect for her! He returns the question and she doesn’t even notice that he doesn’t refer to the Edge by its name. For her, it’s so synonymous with ‘home’ that it does not matter at all. “It’s been well! I… um… I’ve been gone for a little while and only just got back. Went to go visit my sister and son.” She left the explanation there, even though there was so much more. There was some uncertainty about explaining the real reason why she had needed that family with her – not that she didn’t think that Voodoo wouldn’t care but, well, it was a complicated story. She wasn’t fond of the idea of burdening her problems on others. She much preferred to be on the receiving end of everyone else’s problems – to help them in whatever way she could.

He asked whether she was cold and she nodded immediately. “I am a little bit actually.” And with a smile she moved with light steps so that she was standing beside him – not too close (not as close as she wanted) because she was being careful. Careful of his space, careful not to impose herself or her body heat. She was cold but maybe he wasn’t. Still, she did lift up the wing between them just enough to touch him softly. Nudge him as she continued to grin. “Will you come stand by the Heart with me?” She asked instead, maybe if they were just a little closer they could find a happy medium where everyone – horse and companion – could be comfortable.

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Voodoo]
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo
they're in my head

"This little sweetie? Surely not!" With that, Ouija's little lips curled up in what you saw as a smile and she looked up at you in a mocking sense, ears tipped back and big eyes narrowed still. A single laugh leaves your jaws in a cloud of steam, your head bobbing with the sound. Now the bird joins us all, landing away from you but focusing his attention on the snow fox you call your companion. Offended in the slightest bit, your right ear swivels backward, brows furrowing while you watch Hemlock size up the excitable Ouija. In fact, her ears cupped forward and her eyes popped open quickly, a thick tail poking straight out. She blinked quietly, unsure what to think of the bird being on the ground and at her level. A whine swirled in her chest.

Your attention is refocused from your happy companion and back onto the Birdsong green of Alysanne's gentle, happy eyes. Another grin curls the corners of your lips, maroon ears tipped forward while you day dream about running on the beach with such an optimistic, beautiful woman. We almost threw a fit when her sentence ended with "sister and son" though, and we could feel your stomach bubble uncomfortably. So she did have someone back home.. why is she here now? The grin stays put in place, but your emotionless eyes fall from her face and back to the earth where you act like you're watching the fox and owl. "I see." you respond quietly, unfocused.

Finally, you ask if the painted Doctor is cold, when she acknowledges your question, you look back up quietly, still searching through the back of your mind for any mention of a child. 'You fucking hypocrite, you have a kid too! Don't you forget!' we growl, stamping our feet in anger as you wonder about this woman's child back home. "Will you come stand by the Heart with me?" "I'd be more than happy to." You nod - still grinning - and drop your head to lip at Ouija before she takes off. The fox sniffs at the owl, her eyes wide with curiosity. She looks up at you before shuffling over to stand between your forelegs and rubs her shoulder against you.

Obediently, you drop your front quarters, folding your legs in an awkward position while she circles and finds a good ladder in your thick mane; a small hop allows her to reach your withers, where she curls up in your hair. Now back up and standing, you nod to your friend, your head still spinning about the possibilities of a family and mate where she had come from. Turning on your heels, you head to the west, eyeing the forest line so far in the distance that surrounds Thistle Meadow. You plod along, hoping that Alysanne will continue about her child and explain what she had done back home. Nosy and interested, you cannot help but feel guilty for having not mentioned Ryuu earlier.

"I have a son too." and finally, there it is, spread out on the table for her to pick and pull at just as you were. Glossy eyes reach back at the emerald-eyed woman, worry now building in your chest that she would find offense in your words. What if she thought you were joking or just being rude? You draw in a deep breath, holding it in your lungs as you walk toward the fiery pit.

Tagged: @[Alysanne]

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Hemlock hooted back to the little fox when she whined and he hopped a little closer. There was some caution, of course. There had been quite a fair number of companions that had sized him up as a possible meal, after all. But he liked the look of the fox, so far, and she was a far prettier face to focus upon than that of her bonded.

Her suggestion of moving towards the Heart accepted, she waited with easy patience as Voodoo kindly knelt down so that Ouija could scramble up his mane and onto his back. It was the most natural thing in the world to smile while watching the pair - dark and light and so wonderfully suited. Her eyes bright as they looked around, not without a hint of mischief she thought, and his glossy and usually empty. Maybe she was making things up when she thought they seemed kind but they really did! Especially when he was looking at his little companion. That was love. Hemlock followed her lead and with a flap of silent wings he was perched in his normal spot atop Alysanne’s head, intent for now on being quiet and mulling over this new creature.

Alysanne might have used their travel time to explain more about her family, taking Voodoo’s quiet ‘I see’ as quiet and not uninterested like a part of her feared. It seemed silly that they had not spoken of her family before – she so often found cause to bring it up as often as possible. Her sister was such a large part of herself and her son! He was her blood, her love, living under the protection of his aunt and Mikey’s family.

The painted pegasus stayed close to his side as they move off towards the burning Heart, though her steps faltered when he surprised her with a small confession. "Really? That’s wonderful! What’s his name? Does he live with you and his mother in the Throat?” She had to stop herself there or she would drown her dear friend in questions, so curious about this new information. And sure, Alysanne knew that not all foals were born from love, some from friendship and others from less… happier means but in her fairy-tale mind there really was only one option that she could leap to naturally. She wondered who the mother was, of course - her curiosity so powerful that it had snuck into her questions just a little bit. Though she could imagine that they were quite the lovely family - whoever they were.

It was easy to be happy for him, to love the idea of him as part of a family. That was what she loved to see for everyone and if he had found it already… well, yes. She would be happy for him, her dear Voodoo.

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Voodoo]
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo
there was a time that the pieces fit
but i watched them fall away

What you don't see is the stutter in your painted friend's stride, but what you can see is the smile and energetic eyes. "Really? That's wonderful!" Unsure of what exactly to say, you just let your jaw hang slack for a moment, a small chuckle rolling from your gut. As expected, she rattled off the question that you were almost uneasy to answer; would she think less of you if your own child was not with his mother? Maybe she doesn't need to know. But then she'll think you're with that crazy bitch! we scream, still angry about the thought of the golden-dappled woman. "He uh- his name's Ryuu." you pause for a second, looking back to the dried out earth while you move toward the scorching heat of the Heart.

"He does live at the Throat-" you almost want to stop and dance in place just at the thought that you can say that your son at least lives in the same herd as you, "w-with a woman named Rajiri." Your eyes refuse to find the gentle gaze of your beautiful friend. Instead, you watch as Ouija trots along before the two of you, her tail poking straight up in the air like that of a wobbly kitten's. 'Might as well lay it all out theerrreee.. we push. A heavy sigh - one that is so full of shame - starts your next sentence. "His real mother lives in the Edge. She uh.. she left Ryuu and-" you begin to choke on your words, ears laying back at the uncomfortable feeling of swelling tears. "his sister."

If you could blush you surely would be doing so right now. Tears dance along bottom eyelids in a thin layer, the usual glossed-over look of your eyes now coming to life. Embarrassed, you swing your skull away from Alysanne, eyes pinching closed and trying to get rid of the liquid before it spills down your dark, dusty face. You swallow hard, ears rotating back forward and nostrils fluttering with a deep breath. Bloodied eyes find the roaring fire in the distance, hope rekindling in your chest; the quicker you get there, the quicker this conversation is over.. Or so you think. That's not ever how anything happens.

With the tears restrained just enough to not flow down your edgy face, you look back toward the mare, a shameful smile crawling across maroon lips. "What about your son?" was all you could get out before you felt that your voice may crack under pressure.

"Voodoo." 'Ouija.' 'Voices'

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

As Voodoo slowly explained his family situation, there was nothing else that Alysanne could possibly pay attention to. She really was just that interested. And, how could she expect such a unique situation? The way he made it sound was that his son lived in the Throat but… with someone else? And his mother had abandoned him? That was terrible! His words brought them close enough to the Heart so that there was enough warmth to be comfortable – the tight cling of her wings against her sides relaxing and allowing for air movement once more.

The pegasus almost, almost, forgot her manners for the sake of curiosity and was going to pester Voodoo to explain just which mare from the Edge he was talking about. It was almost too much, that curiosity. Who! But he hadn’t been forthcoming with a name and she may be curious but she was willing to deal with that if the alternative meant being rude. After all, there was no drive at all to be curious when she saw tears in his eyes. Those small, salty droplets sent a knife through her stomach – saddened herself by the thought that she had caused any sort of pain to him.

He turned away from her, avoiding her gaze whether it was because of the tears or something else. She didn’t know and it didn’t matter – he did not have to hide from her, of course, but she wouldn’t fault him for it. There was a brief, hesitant touch to his skin but she broke the contact quickly – afraid it was unwanted. Instead she offered soft words instead, resolving to never ask more on the subject. Didn’t she always know just what to say or do to comfort someone? Why did Voodoo make her stumble over the simple act of being a friend? “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.” Perhaps she needed to be more mindful that not everyone had a happy family story to share.

When he asked about her son, she was happy to oblige with information. Under normal circumstances she would have been thrilled to have the chance to talk about that dark boy of hers but now, well, she thought it might be best to allow for the subject to move on.

Emerald eyes focus elsewhere, on the soft glow of the flames on the earth several feet away, “His name’s Artorius – my Arty. He was born a couple years ago, before I came to Helovia. His father… well, things were good for a while but then he left.” She doesn’t explain how she had waited, how she had planned on continuing to wait. These were details that she found she did not want to offer up to Voodoo – she wasn’t even sure if it still applied. The attachment to Aleksandr was a hazy memory – distant after so much time spent in Helovia. “I got separated from Arty when he was young and I found this place. I found the Edge. I went back to see him a couple times but he had his own life and he didn’t want to come with me.” A smile reappeared, acting upon her heart the way the flames before them acted upon their bodies. Fond memories of their reunion, their time together, trying to stay away from the pain of their renewed separation – of his rejection of her and her new home.

But of course, the smile could not stay this time. “I guess a better mother would have stayed there with him.” She frowned down at the hardened earth with those words which were a constant source of agony in her life. She should have stayed with him. But she didn’t. And every time she went to visit she still left again. He would not go with her and she would not stay with him.

The idea of being self-pitying did not sit well with her, there would be time for her to agonize over her choices later. That wasn't how she wanted to spend her time with Voodoo and it would not be very polite of her either. So she attempted a joke - eyes finally looking towards him. “Aren't we a cheerful pair? I've been missing you for months and now... well, now I'm sorry. I didn't mean for things to take such a dismal turn.”

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Voodoo]
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo

Her warm breath against your thick hide is brief, but still you take in the warmth that continues to spill from this mare. While you tend to the tears, Alysanne fumbles with an apology that she does not owe. Finally you are able to turn your attention back to the jade-eyed girl, that same smile that is always so full of shame and a deep, buried self-loathing etching its way across rum lips. "No, no need to be sorry." Finally, you have lead up to asking about your winged friend's own son and the lightheartedness that fills the air makes your heart throb; why don't all mothers think of their children this way? 'Yours did' one of us grunts, 'And you left her to diieeee.' another finishes, cackles following our sinister voices.

The story took a quick turn for one that pained you to hear; the smile slipped from that beautiful, bright face, replaced with eyes that seemed distant in thought and a voice not as fluttery as it had been moments ago. “I guess a better mother would have stayed there with him.” The silence that swirled between the two of you could have been nothing more than awkward if it weren't for your recent encounters with that godforsaken woman, Aurelia. Instead of lingering on her words, you dismissed them, only concerned now that your conversation has turned your chat into one that only has brought pain to each of you. Lips parted, ready to apologize on your half, just as you had told Alysanne not to do, when she speaks again.

“Aren't we a cheerful pair? I've been missing you for months and now... well, now I'm sorry. I didn't mean for things to take such a dismal turn.” A chuckle lights the air, ears turning backward but not hiding in wild curls. Your long, thin face shakes back and forth, eyes watching the flames as all four of you finally reach the open pit of flames; you cannot help but think of Africa for a split second before coming back to the present. "Aren't we?" you agree, "I'm not laughing at you." you clarify in a soft voice, hoping the pinto won't take your wandering mind to heart. "I missed you, too. I just.. I can't help but think of how alike we are. And how different."

Shallow eyes turn to Alysanne, ears turning forward again; your heart thuds hard in your chest and you take a step closer to the pegasus, hoping she will stop and allow you to touch her. If so, you reach out hesitantly with a velvet mug, the innocence of an unsure boy evident in your entire expression. Like a scared teenager, you reach to touch a soft, dark cheek and press yourself against the mare softly. All you want is to comfort the woman that has come to see you.. you're friend.. Your beautiful friend.

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Of course he wasn’t laughing at her, she mused with a soft grin as he clarified for her. She couldn’t think of a time when she had experienced anything but kindness from the unicorn standing with her before the flames. Gentle, quiet, kind – definitely not cruel enough to laugh at her pain.

Because of those traits, it was easy for Aly to assume she knew the reason why her heart picked up when he moved closer, when she marvelled at how much she wanted him closer. It had been effortless for her to wrap herself up in love before – it was an emotion that came so naturally to the black and white pegasus. She loved them all, her friends, strangers, anyone she happened to meet on any given day, and the stumble into something deeper would forever be one she enjoyed taking. Her mind filtering out the pain associated until she only remembered the good – and how could she resist that bliss?

Though she had to wonder why it could happen so suddenly with one and not the other, why the butterflies in her stomach swirled in a typhoon at the touch of this beloved unicorn but not with dear Mikey. It would have been so safe for her to fall for the fallen angel.

Aly was not one to dwell on such conclusions but this (if this was in fact what was happening) was hardly the first time she had fallen for someone not safe.

There’d be time to wonder about it later, for now those gentle green eyes watched him. She was afraid to move because she was afraid she might scare him off – but he wasn’t and the contact was enough to bring out a soft sigh from her. That fear was new, nestling into her along with the worry that she was making too many assumptions – leaping into a situation all on her own without any encouragement from the other end. Voodoo could easily be simply being a friend to her when she needed it. After the situation with Mikey well… the lines were harder for her to see.

Still, with little effort her mind was redirected from the sorrows of moments ago, from the pain of failing in the raising of her son. A pain, she learned, Voodoo shared. Yes they were alike. She took comfort in this gesture of his, platonic or otherwise, and took a breath to help calm the thundering of her heart. “Differences?” She asked softly as she leaned into his touch – her movements careful but sure. It all came so naturally when her worrisome thoughts didn’t get in the way. “How are we different, Voodoo?” She honestly didn’t know.

Apart from the fact that she was, usually, a great deal more talkative than he.

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Voodoo]
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo

The sigh rolls across your skin in a warm wave and makes your legs tingle; whatever this pegasus was doing to you was happening quickly. While your mind runs away, bouncing and ricocheting off of bones walls, you can't help but wonder if Alysanne is feeling the same thing as you. You have never known love, only lust. So, is there a difference? Africa had shown you love, yes, just as dear Alysanne does now: tender embraces and flushed cheeks and heavy breathing all came in turn, but she had more important matters and you a lack of drive to do anything but sulk in your misfortunes. Does that mean that she wasn't feeling what you were? 'Has to be, you fool. She was important and you weren't, so she swept herself clean of leeches.' Pain prods at your fast beating heart.

Aurelia, the woman who you still barely know, bore your child without even bothering to find you for help before his birth. Jaws clench tight at the memory at the Edge: Ryuu was tiny, maybe a month old, and he was in pain. His eyes -tainted with the same grotesque bloodied mess as yours in one and glimmering with an ancient gold in the other- held a pain that no child should know. And all that his mother would do is offer you a glare and run you out once you disagreed with her. The gut wrenching, miserable pain that haunted you on the way home lingered for weeks, months even. Now your only son lives with another woman.... 'Because she couldn't handle it!?' we snarl, anger bubbling in your skull as we fume over the careless woman. Even your sons sister, Faeanne, is somewhere in this cold world without her biological mother. You can only hope for her safety.

"Differences?" Rummy eyes shut tight, ears swiveling back. "How are we different, Voodoo?" Your lips tighten and brows furrow while you search for an explanation that the woman deserves. "It's uhm. Kind of hard to explain, Aly." You allow your snout to slide down the mare's neck, the gentle touch enough to make your nostrils twitch against tickling hairs. Finally -with your skull resting just above the joint of her wing- you stop yourself and take a careful step forward, your chest nearly touching the top of hers.

"I'm different from-" you pause, the words hanging on your bottom lip like a water droplet from a waxy leaf. "Everyone, really." Little do you know that there are many bodies affected by this dark plague, their thought belonging to creatures that taunt them from the recesses of their minds. The emotions coursing through your body have us confused and irritated, making us sink our jagged, hot claws into the mushy base of your skull. 'She's right, you two are fucking miserable to listen to!'

"But it doesn't matter." Both falsely bloodied ears turn forward, the red mask turning up into a smile as you accept her weight against your own. "Why'd you come find me, Aly?" Your voice is soft, despite the raspy crackle in your throat. Genuine curiosity crawls through your conscience, and you can no longer tell if the warmth in your chest is from this bright mare or the nearby inferno.

Sorry for the wait for a terrible responce, @[Alysanne]

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

She’s confused, as anyone might expect, when Voodoo gave his response to how they were different. First “it’s kind of hard to explain” then “I’m different from everyone”. Now what was that supposed to mean? She had to admit, it was pretty hard to think about how cryptic all of those vague responses were – what with his proximity and all. It had been far too long since she had been involved in such an embrace. Alysanne, after all, was quite affectionate and thoroughly enjoyed such moments.

Well, as foggy as her mind was she at least had enough sense to not press Voodoo for an explanation. He may, in time, decide to explain further or he may not – she wasn’t one to worry over such things.

Surely if it were something serious or harmful her instincts would kick in, right?

But he had said it did not matter and the pegasus was all too happy to believe him.

Her head and her heart were swimming when he brought her back down to earth by asking why she had come to find him. Hadn’t she already explained that she had been missing him? Or could he tell that there was something else. They certainly had not stood together like this on their previous encounters. But she welcomed it so completely, her entire body rejoicing in the contact where it came – shivers coursing over her skin and waking her up.

“Because I like spending time with you, my dear Voodoo.” He had been the one who had helped turn a nightmare-ridden night into a race along the beach, he had sparked a friendship with his quiet manners. “I’ve grown rather fond of you,” Her voice is soft and she is glad for their proximity all the more because she can feel the blush burn her face – where it is hidden – and set light to her eyes – where it certainly is not – but he wouldn’t be able to see that as they stood now. “and, well, like I said before: I missed you.” Those three words were spoken more quietly than the rest, which had been gentle on their own – nothing more than a three-syllable whisper to caress his skin.

Even now, for she knew that they would have to part ways eventually, she wondered over when the next time would come.

Silly of her, certainly, but she whole-heartedly welcomed the ridiculousness associated with these feelings.

@[Voodoo]

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo

We mumble in the back of your mind, our words incoherent as they vibrate and mash together from the walls of your skull. We're not comfortable with the situation and want to squirm at the thought of your inconsiderate, selfish emotions that course through your body until they hit us with a hard force. One of us picks at jagged nails uneasily, another chewing on their fingers and ripping thick hangnails off of the soggy flesh. The red tinted windows that we stare are are settled along the mare's spine, unfocused as your stare ahead at nothing; your eyes wander while your brain focuses on what could be. We scoff at your feelings, saliva stretching between rotting teeth and white gums as we stretch our jaws.

But while we stay sidetracked and angry in your head, you breath a sigh of relief into Alysanne's shoulder. She doesn't question your vague statement, and to your relief, she doesn't pull away from your embrace either. Red rimmed ears set back, ready to listen to the winged woman as you ask again why she had come. Even as dull and unenthusiastic as you may be, you can feel your heart thrumming in your chest still. “Because I like spending time with you, my dear Voodoo.” You smile against the downy feathers along her shoulder. “I’ve grown rather fond of you, and, well, like I said before: I missed you.” The last words were barely but a whisper, but you catch each of them with little effort.

Fire crackles in the endless abyss of magma, the heat eagerly having warmed your body within the first minute of arriving, but now you cannot decide what is warmer: the fire, or the fluttering in your stomach. "I m- li- Ahh-" Stuttering, stumbling over your own words, unsure of what to say; we laugh hysterically in your skull, dark tears spilling from black eyes while we wobble around on our backs and pot bellies. You clear your throat, ears tipping back against wild, untameable hair. "I.. feel the same way."

Here it is for real this time! *Cries* It's nothing, but it's up. If you want to start a new one soon or just cut this off completely I wouldn't be offended, xD
@[Alysanne]

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD