the Rift

[OPEN] I'm capable of anything

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Leaves rustled and feathers whispered as Ampere landed in a large fir tree, one of the few evergreens around that could bring color to this smothered world. Nestled up safe int he Dragon's Throat Ampere hadn't quite realized how heavily winter had settled in. It was colder in the Throat to be sure, especially at night when their god's protection was at its weakest, but this was absurd. "It's like the north became a weed and overgrew the entire land," she complained, her breath a rush of visible exhaust which quickly dispersed.

She took a few steps forward, balancing precariously on branches, so that she could crane her neck around and peer better at the strange rotunda. As she did her withers bumped a bough, which was more than happy to unburden its snow onto her. A sudden strike of cold rippled down Ampere's ears. She shied to one side with a squeal that was quite un-warrior like. The movement, fine on the ground, overstepped the boundaries of her tree and cast one leg off the bark encrusted ledge. Her wings flared up to help catch her balance, but they were mostly useless in the tangle of branches.

Once Ampere realized the sequence of events she burned hot with embarrassment and hauled herself back onto 'steady' footing on the boughs. She shook her head and the snow clinging to it with annoyance, snorting out more plumes of breath.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact Ampere was stuck on patrol with a kid. She thought for sure she was being punished, likely by Gaucho, when the orders were sent out. Not just any kid even, but a wet babe basically, not even a year old! This was babysitting in disguise, not a patrol. So since they'd left the Throat Ampere had been in a sour mood, hellbent on finishing as early as they could and heading back so she could do some real patrolling around the borders.

"Kari," she hissed through the trees, not even sure where the colt had gone off to - she hadn't been paying very close attention and may have flown faster than necessary. He has to learn to keep up, Ampere justified to herself, but now she was cold and wet and the silence of winter was stifling. If there were no birds to chirp in her ear, there should at least be a colt.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

"Who is Kari?" Bucephalus asked, having landed behind the blue mare. The stallion kept his expression curious, but his golden gaze was laughing. He had the luck to fly overhead and spot Ampere just as she dumped snow on herself; since he liked his hide, he chose not to laugh aloud at her.

He hadn't meant to stumble across her; he was roaming once more to get a feel for the winds of this land and to see it's sights. But when he glanced down and saw her...well... he couldn't resist. Originally he had planned on laughing, but when he saw the faint lines of anger across her form.... he chose wisely and kept his trap shut.

"And what has he or she done to irritate you?" This time he couldn't help but be amused. He pitied this Kari, but couldn't deny that a riled Ampere was rather funny(or she was to him, at least). Buce walked past the electric-blue mare to the small creek, dropping his head to drink, ears cocked back at her for her response.

Once he drank his fill he looked around the grove, gaze landing on the rotunda. It looked ancient, and to him, a thing of long-lasting beauty. He walked over to it, careful to keep his footing as he approached the worn stone. "Also, what is this place?" He did not mean to be so curious, but he couldn't help it. He felt at ease, even his reckless streak was quieted by the solemn glade. He felt no urge to fly, to chase, to prance or cause mayhem as per usual; it was both unsettling and relaxing, which in of itself was disturbing.

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Feel free to tag Buce in any posts; permission is given for force against him provided it doesn't kill or permanently maim him(ask about the latter)

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Serenity
Feel the wind pass through my body, I am one with your soul...

Serenity was unsure about all of these patrols, but she would do her best to follow through regardless. However, going with the main man was a little nerve wracking, so she followed the blue and black one instead. Well, she followed from a distance. The world was vast and beautiful beneath the spread of her starry wings, and she would pause to spiral downward. Glass sparkled in the forest here and there, and she assumed that it was from the World's Edge. She had been there once before. Only once.

The starkissed sunrise landed just outside of these forests, careful to avoid the trees. Powerful wings flapped heavily in order to cushion her landing, disrupting the leaves and snow. Aahhh cold. The chill bit at her ankles, and she danced in place, exhaling a sharp snort of white clouds. Hawkish, golden eyes peered around the location, seeing a beautiful structure in the distance. How... beautiful.

A hiss of a name caught her attention, and she spun around, ears tilting forward. Was that Ampere? Or... well, she thought that was her name at least. Serenity trotted forward, trying to ignore the irritation she was feeling at getting the fur around her hooves wet. After living in the desert, she was unused to this ice. Snow blossomed around her legs as she moved, seeing two figures in the distance and revealing herself accordingly.

Serenity listened to his question and wondered the answers as well. The name Kari had been spoken before, but she had yet to put a name to the face. Carefully tucking her wings more tightly to her body, the blue and gold one looked to Ampere, attempting a kind smile, though nervousness wrung at her insides like an earthworm in the spring soil. "I did not see anyone on my way here," she offered to Ampere, trying to be helpful - well, at least a little.

She turned to the stranger, shrugging her feathered wings. "I am not sure what this place is, but it is certainly beautiful..."

I-mi @ Da

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

His voice startled her, causing her to slip once more as she shied to the side. "Wha-" was all she managed to exclaim before she tumbled from her precarious perch, wings fanning on her descent so that she didn't straight face plant into a snow drift. Instead her legs stumbled into her, her balance awry as she tried to find traction amid the cannon-high powder. She snorted, another jet of cold clouds from her nose, when she finally managed to recollect her composure.

In that instant, she flashed her hard stare to him, the vibrant blue that was once there replaced with flint. "What are you doing here?" she demanded, although she really wasn't looking for an answer, she was just annoyed that he had surprised her. Truth be told she liked Bucephalus, certainly more than she liked a kid. Thus, her anger quickly subsided, seeming to blow away with the next passing breath of winter that brushed across her, causing another shiver. She tightened her wings against her back.

From her position she was able to watch as Serenity drew into view as well. Although her name escaped her, Ampere recognized the speckled pegasus. Darkness howled and fear tainted the land. Ampere screamed at her to get to safety, wings weak with exhaustion and breath raw with calling for a boy that never showed. The night had swallowed him up, fitting, given his lineage... she missed him.

Ampere shook her head. Those were memories she'd rather not dwell on.

"He is simply too young for patrols," Ampere replied lamely to the question, her anger still fading, her nightmare still crawling back into the depths of her thoughts. It wasn't true though,what she said, not exactly. At that age Ampere would have been going on patrols too, or at least thinking she should have, if there'd been patrols when she was growing up. No, it wasn't Kari's youth that was the issue, not in terms of the mission anyways. It was that Kari was young AND with her on the mission.

Serenity's admission caused Ampere's heart to plummet.
"No one?" she breathed, nearly speechless as she tripped over her own thoughts as to just what exactly that phrase meant. Her irritation quickly drained from her, replaced instead with a fitful worry. This is why I shouldn't be in charge of kids she thought, desperate for an excuse. She was certain the colt had died and that it was all her fault. As much as she didn't want to be on patrol with the kid, she definitely didn't want to fail the patrol with said kid. Babysitting was bad, but failing, that was much much worse, especially if it resulted in missing or dead herdmates. Ampere pursed her lips, eyes wrinkling with worry.

"Did they send you on patrol with me instead?" she asked cautiously, wondering if, at the last minute, Kari had been held back or switched out. Maybe Gaucho only meant the assignment as a joke (did he have a sense of humor?), but she'd already flown off before he could tell her about her true partner? Ampere liked that idea much more, because while she knew she was incompetent with foals, she liked to think she wasn't that terrible.

Still, she should double back, and soon.

"I don't know," she responded after a moment when Bucephalus' question continued to ring in her ears. She turned her neck to look at him, finding it within her to faintly smile as he moved towards the strange monument, as brave as ever. "It's called the Ancient Rotunda," Ampere proffered softly. Knowing its name didn't mean she knew much at all about it though, so her first statement remained honest. In the scheme of things, names mattered so little when it came to knowing something.

"This is my first time coming here," she confessed, taking strides forward to inspect the multicolored structure with Bucephalus. Tentatively she sniffed at the cool walls made of stone. They reminded her of the shrines of the gods. "I wonder what this was made for," she asked absently, her gaze traveling up to the stained glass windows as she stepped inside. Serenity was right, it was beautiful. It even felt, comforting, like a warm home. Maybe it was just the colors of the light as they streamed through, because the frostfall cold was certainly still prevalent, but either way, Ampere was grateful for it. She smiled.

"I'm glad you're both here." Their company was easy. With them, she didn't have to pretend. They had committed no crimes she had to ignore and it was surprising what a relief that feeling was, like she was always holding her breath around everyone that had a companion clutching their side.

@[Bucephalus]

Bucephalus hardly noticed the star-splattered mare that approached, his gaze focusing instead upon the smooth stone and glittering glass of the rotunda. The sight of it was downright beautiful....and sad. He longed for the Sacre for the first time in a long time, his gaze roaming the stone. What song would it sing? "Something like this should never have been allowed to fall to ruin." He said, not caring if the two agreed or not.

However, reluctantly, he turned his head to look at the two. "Hello." He greeted the new mare with a slight dip of his head. Then he turned his attention to Ampere. "I'm surprised." He said, open amusement on his face when she said that she was glad they were here. Only poking fun, he bumped his shoulder to hers to let her know that before he stepped further into the Rotunda, lifting his head to gaze up at the stained glass. If he had not joined Dragon's Throat, odds are in his wanderings he would have made this his temporary(or permanent) home. It was soothing, like the presence of his dam as he slept, knowing everything would be safe and fine under her watchful gaze.

Whatever this place had been used for, it had long since been abandoned. Sorrow once again tinged the beauty of it, and he turned his head to look at Ampere. "If Kari was not seen behind you, should we not be looking for him?" He asked, frowning faintly now. All lands had their dangers; sharp-clawed pards, wolves, bears, ect. It didn't sit well that a colt was missing(or severely lagging behind) and none seemed concerned yet. Maybe they were not because they knew Kari could handle himself? Bucephalus didn't know.

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Feel free to tag Buce in all posts; permission is given for force against him provided it doesn't kill or permanently maim him(ask about the latter)

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Serenity
Feel the wind pass through my body, I am one with your soul...

Serenity's large, golden eyes widened when Ampere asked her what she was doing here. The starry mare swallowed hard, feeling blood rush to the tips of her dark ears. What was she supposed to say? She followed anyway? That she would willingly be late to her patrol with Gaucho because she was nervous around the big stallion? "I saw no one, no," she clarified and then cleared her throat, looking down at her hooves. "Well, I followed you here. I wanted to see what a first patrol would look like with you instead of Gaucho," she admitted.

Honesty is the best policy.

Right?

Ampere called this place the Ancient Rotunda, and she could see why. It was overgrown, but still lovely. Glass of many colors painted the ceiling in a rainbow, and she smiled, looking up. The massive structure had obviously been important, but now it was a powerful reminder of history. If only they could create something so grand now. If only they could be as brilliant and unified as the ancients. Serenity was surprised to hear that this had been Ampere's first time being here, and she shrugged her wings slightly at the statement of wonder.

"For something so beautiful, it must have been important," she replied softly.

Serenity was surprised at anyone being gladdened by her presence. If she was not a nuisance to many, then she was in the way. Her lack of training fighting, flighty nature and inability to communicate well made her rather difficult to get along with - at least she thought so. She was always having to ask questions, rely on others for information that she should have been able to find herself. Honestly, she felt like a drain.

"I am glad... you are glad," she replied back, smiling with a big, beautiful, innocent expression. Serenity was unburdened and untainted by the world, despite her traumatic past. All the terrors seemed to roll off of her, never sticking to the starry skin or seeping past her large, golden eyes.

The stallion's question made her frown. "I did not see any child in the Dragon's Throat when I left," she answered. "So I am not sure where this Kari would even be. If he is not home, we cannot search the entirety of this land for him, right? Certainly he would know where home is and to go back?" Did that make her unkind? She had flown for weeks alone as a child to escape prejudice and slavery. A boy should be able to simply fly back home alone.

I-mi @ Da

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

"Things can't help but fall to ruin here," Ampere said quietly. Her gaze, normally a livewire of electric blue, had dimmed into something more akin to water, absorbing light, and pain. In some small, stupid way, she felt responsible for Buchephalus. She had invited him in after all, but did he know everything that he stepped into once he walked from the Threshold? Helovia was full or horrors, but where isn't? her thoughts asked. She fell silent, unable to answer herself.

Was Kari a victim to one such tragedy?

The questions penetrated the beauty of the structure. Its colorful glow lost its awe, replaced instead with some cold, hard feeling that settled in the bottom of her heart. All she could see was a lie painted over, so it didn't seem so obvious. Ampere turned away from it, hooves passing from stone to grass with a quiet scuffing.

"Perhaps he was taken," Ampere said after a moment, the words hard to admit to, particularly if it had been her duty to watch him. She glanced sidelong at Serenity, wings loosening against her back, trying to shrug off the worry uncoiling inside her gut. "He would not be the first... I have seen others be stolen, and know the herd in the North, the Basin, is unkind to visitors." She was also terse with strangers on the borders of her orange sands, but she did not take them, hurt them, hold them. She had no proof it was them, but the continued and peaceful existence on their winter throne had always unsettled her. Did no one else care what they did?

"There is... much injustice in this world, most often perpetrated by our own kind." Ampere's voice flopped out like a sigh. She felt defeated, when before she would have been outraged, yelling, flaring, zapping with unconstrained energy to right all these wrongs. Time and failure had shown her that it was an impossible feat.

Is it? some part of her asked, nudging her passion, like a small flame being blown back into an inferno.
Alone it is.

"Unfortunately it's allowed to exist, gone ignored or uncontested by everyone, so long as it doesn't affect them." Bitterness colored her tongue now, making her words sharp and hard. "It isn't right." Her features were taut with sternness. As she spoke she had turned, looking at each of her companions, ice replacing the water in her stare. It glinted, like cold metal.

"Just because it seems impossible to stop, does not mean it isn't worth trying." Her flame roared. "Does the shore ever give up to the ocean? It rolls in, relentless, wave after wave, but the shore remains We should be like the shore. We should try... if not..." she trailed off, suddenly aware she was over speaking. She couldn't sleep at night if she let crimes go unanswered, but she would not be surprised if they, like others, were never troubled. She couldn't afford to lose more friends over her dreams, not when that's all they remained, unable to be made real at the power of her own hooves and wings.

Then again, maybe it was better to stand alone, so long as you stood.

@[Serenity]

Things can't help but fall to ruin here... Bucephalus fell silent, a sort of mourning vigil for what this place had once stood for and what it should have been, if there had been anyone to nurture it and keep it's beauty thriving. For beautiful he had no doubt; even as a ruin the Rotunda posed a sort of majestic air, a peaceful presence that soothed ruffled feathers... or so it seemed.

The black turned his head to watch Ampere, remaining silent as she spoke, his gaze flickering over her face at the various emotions she gave off. He flicked his ears back, then stepped forward and pressed his muzzle to her shoulder, and despite wanting to extend the contact, he pulled away. "You speak the truth. I've seen too many wrongs, too many things just ignored because it merely 'does not concern' whomever happens to watch." He said, returning a distance from Ampere; he had been forward enough(before she had been inviting contact).

"I am worried though. I don't know Helovia's dangers, but if there are any similarities to my homeland, the wilds are a frightfully dangerous place, danger from both equines and non." He said, ears flicking back slightly. "Although youngsters in Sehrau were never harmed by other pegasi, this place is different." That anyone could think to kidnap or do worse to a colt or filly was unimaginable by him, in fact he just couldn't picture it. How could one be willing to do that to a young equine that still held the innocence of foalhood? But, maybe they were worrying for nothing; he knew as a colt he had been a troublemaker, worrying his mother when he'd get distracted by something and loose track of time. Perhaps Kari was safe, merely amusing himself on what would seem a boring patrol?

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Feel free to tag Buce in all posts; permission is given for force against him provided it doesn't kill or permanently maim him(ask about the latter)