the Rift

[OPEN] Old Friends
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Gaucho flew North, noting the way the air began to chill beneath his flaming feathers as he did so. He had forgotten just how warm the Throat stayed even amidst the chill of Frostfall. How did Midas stand it out here? With all the froth from the water of his lands freezing the air and ground? The WildFire was sure it didn't matter - he had long known that his painted brother followed the Earthen God more religiously than the Sun God, and Gaucho supposed that if the Sun God had asked him to take up residence in a land of bog and waste that he would.

Still, it was cold.

Beneath his wings a flurry of finch-sized flaming birds fluttered. The heat from their bodies created warm thermals that made gliding easier, but also made him an obvious target. This was intentional. He was entering lands that were not his own now, and he would not do so stealthily or shyly. It was possible that Midas would not want to see him after all.

Descending amongst the burning bodies of the birds around him, Gaucho landed easily on the frozen ground, tucking his flame-tipped wings against his flanks. Although his appearance had changed somewhat - his wings now burned and his antlers glowed - he surely would be recognizable to the once-Sultan, now Czar.

"My-das" He called, large hooves inching towards the border of the Hidden Falls.

@[Midas]
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Tolerating our awkward climate was a necessary evil. My pelt thankfully thickened with time and soon I became a furry beast of the north. Yar. This soul ached for unforgiving warmth of a more tropical climate even still; thus was a truth that wouldn't change. From high uptop a looming cliff, (my patrol perch) I noticed a semi flaming shape arriving from a distant home that would never be far from my mind. After studying the traveler for a moment, a bright smile of recognition lit across my face. Tis a beam of joy, chasing the dreary and redundant gloom I previously wore.

His dark frame descended surprisingly gracefully for a male of sizable mass. I took to the sky a breath later, spreading my gold dipped pinions from the warmth of my sides. "Gaucho!" Light and lifted, obviously I was thrilled to see he was alive and well. Appendages began to slither shut, dual feathers thrashed hard in a rounding motion that skillfully alighted this body on the frozen turf directly ahead of him. "It's been far to long my brother," I uttered softy, emotion made my tone thick.

The bulky fellow was a welcome sight. His flames were a recognizable mark as a ranked individual for the patron god Sun; but neither of our flourished titles mattered to me. Dark muzzle shifted his way and I stepped to my taller friend, "Thee is welcome here." Fina came flying over the cliff, followed by a smaller but no less lovely creature of ice and snow. Her sister and opposite, Neve. The little flame took to her usual spot upon my patched rear, while Neve sought to land quickly within my nape.
Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Easily Gaucho's eyes rose to where the painted stallion descended. It made him feel as though they were together again, as they used to be, brothers under the sun and of the sands. Midas' words echoed in his ears and mind; it had been too long. He hadn't seen his painted ally since ... well, since the caves. They had led the herd there and in the chaos and confusion Gaucho couldn't remember the last time he had spoken with the Czar. Then there was his nearly season-long disappearance and return. Then again it was entirely possible Midas hadn't even known that he had been away - given that he had taken up residence here. His herd informed him that it was the Earth God himself that asked the golden-etched stallion to relocate. Given the distance between their homes now, perhaps a visit every few seasons would now be the norm.

Swishing his dark tail, Gaucho nodded as the smaller stallion landed. "Thank you." Gaucho returned, bobbing his tail appreciatively. Although he entertained the idea that perhaps he would be met with hostility and always enjoyed such a challenge, he was glad that it would not come to pass. His gaze filtered behind were Fina moved easily on the wind (and momentarily Gaucho was jealous that her body burned hot, while his own flames did not. It would surely make flying in this climate much, much easier). Next his gaze fell to another creature, one who seemed diametrically opposed to the burning avian. Mara rose in his antlers with interest, swaying back and forth slightly as she tried to rise higher to get a better view. Twwwooooo? She hissed gently in his mind, echoing the thoughts that were already present there.

Two companions? He had never heard of such a thing. Dimly, he thought Ampere would squawk with outrage if she saw this.

"Two? Both with you?" He inquired, nosing his pierced muzzle towards Neve.

Was having two possible? If so ... Jealousy again popped into his mind. Mara was more than capable in battle, and often provided much needed assistance and was a force to be reckoned with in her own right. But two ? Mara hissed sulkily, slapping Gaucho between the eyes with her tail. Snorting, the dun shook his head, projecting images of a flighted creature with talons, much like Fina, who could carry her. Never be thrown again he mentally whispered, showing her an image of Tinek throwing her from a cliff.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I'd never have greeted a brother of the desert in a manner that would be considered aggressive or impolite. At least not until they gave my reason to. Gaucho peered toward Fina, who was regarding him and his silver serpent in her usual manner. With as much favor as she'd give a thorn in her wing. Neve was poking her head out from my shoulder, leaning as far over as she could while still being somewhat inconspicuous. Peek a boo, and she was hidden once again. I nodded toward his question, "Aye," motioning at the shy creature that was burrowing deeper into locks of hair so she'd become invisible, "I found her egg among the timber. She is called, Neve."

Gazing back at him, I moved to push past pleasantries of our conversation by asking, "How fairs life back home?" Is Africa doing well? I wondered, though didn't voice the question. I knew he'd come from the Throat, his body is coated with their familiar essence that would forever be ingrained into my memory for as long as life stayed within these bones, or until Dragons Throat disappeared into the ocean, "and if it does ye fine, do share the tale of thee travels." I grinned eagerly. Yar, I'd known his presence to be absent from the Throat during my last visit. Where had the lad been during those fragile months we recovered from sickness? I couldn't imagine many tasks that would keep him from home.
Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Midas' easy turn to business was well received and welcomed, although it caused the dun's gaze to harden slightly. Surely Midas knew of the murders? Knew that the Throat had sustained the first casualty? Perhaps he didn't. It had been the God of the Earth who had set everyone to the task of finding the culprit - those orders he was sure had made it to Midas given his affiliation with the deity - but perhaps the first victim was simply that. A victim. Nameless.

"Vesta murdered." He began simply, his gaze falling upon Midas as he shrugged. "Throat ... different. Africa disappear. Sohalia and Tandavi create Academy ..." Again his voice trailed off. How was he supposed to communicate that things just weren't the same? There was too much hand holding and trusting, and not enough defending and training. Dark times were coming, and the Throat acted like the light that burned brightly in the Throat was enough to save them. "Throat has gotten weak while Gaucho away. Gaucho have plans to save it."

At Mara's mental insistence, the Wildfire decided he probably owed it to his oldest friend here to share the missing part of his story. "Gaucho forced to go back to land-before-Throat. I was tricked - lost my memories. I find my way back ... Ophelia take me to Sun God who restore memories but ... that why the Throat is the way it is now. I left them alone too long." He grunted, ears flickering backwards as he admitted the fault was his. Never mind that the Sun God placed Soh and Africa to take his place, he wouldn't have had to if Gaucho hadn't been tricked into leaving.

Hugging his flaming wings to his flanks, the dun sighed, shaking his antlered skull dismissively. "Gaucho have plans to protect Throat - Sun God going to help. Throat will be strong again. Just need to stop murders."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
I listened with acute attention as my taller brother explained losses our...nay, his family took. Vesta. Yar, that title did sound vaguely familiar. After a breath of consideration, I realized that name had been whispered on the wind over a body found at sky island. Now I knew why. Aye, the winged girl who had fallen to a violent sleep was Throats own. But that heartfelt news was pale compared to what followed.

Furry brows furrowed deeply, concern renewed by learning that Africa had vanished from the Throat. Vanished? Confused, I thought back to the last time I'd seen the sultana. It was during a race on the floating island, she'd seemed strong and capable. My mind shot to Satanic Silk, he'd favored her, maybe the bat winged fellow knew where she took off to. Or perhaps they ran off together. Gaucho pressed on though, I pushed my personal pondering aside to continue listening. Besides it would be rude to try and interrupt him. The rest of his report was mention on an academy and filled with promises to save my birth home from a malnourished state. I honestly prayed he would be successful. Dragons Throat had never fallen, not for many a generation.

In regard to tales of travel, Guacho kept his details short. With just enough information to piece a sparse image together. Ktulu's sister had seen his memories restored and thank Earth he'd returned safely. I offered him a small grin, "I'm glad thee is restored," under his guidance perhaps the desert would rise to a formidable power once more, "I have faith ye will be successful in returning glory and strength to the desert." Those murders, was he worried? "The whole of Helovia is searching for that killer, he or she can't stay hidden forever." There were things I wanted to ask him, but other more formal matters needed tending first. "During thee time of absence, I formed an alliance with Africa and Sohalia. I desire to renew one with ye as well."
Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho knew Midas would understand, although he was slightly surprised that the painted Czar did not press him for more information. He half expected some amount of jealousy ... or perhaps a justified, but misplaced sense of entitlement. Midas had led the Throat for many seasons, and had lived there for nearly his whole life. He had flourished here, apparently, but the Sultan was sure that the sands still held his heart. Then again, Midas was as strategically minded as he, whatever his personal feelings might have been, they could be discussed later. It was a trait the Wildfire missed ... Sohalia had done well to embrace the art of war, and while some of her emotions could be stifled, not all of them could. Especially when it came to his dealings with certain mares, especially certain blue ones. He had never had to deal with such obstacles when he ruled with Midas. Briefly the dun wondered if the paint had similar issues here .. Was there a female Czar running around?

Perhaps he would ask later.

As Midas spoke of alliances, the dun nodded in agreement. While his plans for the Throat would involve distancing themselves from the other herds, it did not, as the Sun God seemed to interpret, mean isolation. However ..."Throat will stand as allies ... but not as sell-swords." His gaze met Midas' evenly, meaning no respect. "Throat will aid in matters that are fair and just. But we not come just because you call." He recalled the Invasion that had led the Grey to take the lands Midas now ruled. Had that been fair? Just? What if it were the case that Midas' was being threatened by a force against whom Gaucho could not retaliate? That was the tricky thing about alliances, if there was no hierarchy things could become conflicted and chaotic quickly. More than that, at least until the Throat was in a better position to protect its own citizens, he would not commit himself to fighting the wars of other herds.

"Gaucho not worried - My-das not be worried either. We not start unfair wars." He concluded with a dark smile for one of his oldest friends. While he wanted to make the terms clear, should someone usurp Midas and try to bind him by their agreement, he didn't think he'd ever be in a position to enforce it. Midas was nothing if not generally reasonable and reliable. In fact, the Wildfire couldn't recall the last time he had seen the Czar angry.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
I wondered if Gaucho formed his reply based off prier experiences with the Grey, a mercenary group who held no regard for vows or brotherhood. As we'd learned from experience. Their Basin alliance crumbled with a failed attack on Edge territory and the desert, it wasn't a memory easily forgotten. They sold their strength to the highest bidder, nar, it was no surprise that such a group would bend, eventually breaking beneath the weight of their own actions. Yar, every action bore an equal consequence.

Coal colored lips curved into a brighter smile, reassuring and encouraging. Gaucho knew very well that I was cut from a diplomatic cloth. Dark crown dipped, locks of hair spilled across my eyes. I nodded to him with humble respect, "Aye, I hear ye well. My intents mirror the same." Agreements made and two brothers united toward a common cause of furthering the survival of our herds, I'm granted a moment of lax to ask, "Does thee know how my children fair?" They were doing well, last I checked. Tense, strained to see me...their father, but alive and well, "Ranjiri had a son," my grandcolt seemed to be a shy boy, but I felt confident he'd become a strong individual.

Given the chance. There was no better home to mold him, shape a tender soul to be a figure of authority. "Would ye watch over them, as ye are able; be my eyes and voice?" I'd every confidence they'd handle life, but that didn't mean I wouldn't be worried.
Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho nodded easily as Midas spoke. He doubted there would be a time that he would not, or could not come to his friend's aid. Given the treachery that the Basin continued to propagate against his herd, perhaps it would be Gaucho who required assistance sooner than the Falls would. As the conversation turned to Midas' kin, a smile creased Gaucho's dark lips as he again nodded.

"Jiji-" Gaucho began, referring to the girl by the nickname she had offered to him early on. It was strange to think of her as a mother, in Gaucho's mind she would always be a small child learning to fly in the Throat, or even the wraith-monster who had eaten his dreamcatcher. Both images brought a smile to his face. "She is good. Ryuu too. Cera good too - he forger again. Helping with Gaucho's plan for the Throat." Was it strange for Midas that his family chose to stay even when he was beckoned to leave? Did it pain him that his adoration for the Earth God did not translate to his kin who thrived under the Sun just as he had done for so long? Did he ever want to come home?

Thinking of this made him think of his own progeny. Did Midas know that Gaucho had sired two more offspring? He knew of Zenobia surely, her birth was during Midas' reign as Sultan, but had word made its way this far East of his two princes? "Sohalia have twins." He offered rather awkwardly, dark tail swaying anxiously behind his large body. "Rhoa and Ivezho" Their names rolled easily off of his tongue, as they were both born of his native language.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
It hadn't been long before now that Cera had bore the tile of Diviner, a holy speaker, translator of the gods. Now it would seem that he'd taken the mantle of Forger. I thought the crafting position would suit him well. But yar, what did I know of my son?

Ranjiri, it was welcome news to hear she and my grandcolt are doing well. I'd thought about paying them another visit, but despite my intentions and desire to make myself part of their lives... I felt my own children would rather their father fade into a distant backdrop.

Cera had gotten cold, I almost didn't recognize him during our last meet; he's eyes had once glowed with compassion and love, but no longer. Now it is a backsliding, rigid, and unyielding glare. No amount of words would mend such a solid frame of mind. In his eyes I'd gotten it wrong from day one. There are parts of his heart closed to me, and I didn't know how to open them. Eventually the boy would succeed in his desire to push me aside, without my heart ever actually hearing what truth he so readily hid.

"I'm glad they are well."

Guacho mentioned his lovely mate, and the arrival of twins. I brightened and offered him a genuine beam, "Yar, strong names. Their birth is a sign of good fortune," or at least that is what my da used to say. Of course he thought all children were blessings from fortune.

Image Credits