the Rift

[OPEN] An Unexpected Birth [Random Event, Egg Hatching]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

As he had promised the tiny bundle nestled at his side, Apollo had remained upon the floating Insula, finding no true reason as to why he should leave the peaceful heaven just yet. The stallion's internal clock told him that the world below was, or was soon to be in the midst of winter. The overo's ebony splotched hide was thick with downy fur, his winter coat growing in to help fight off Frostfall's dangerous chill, but up in here in the Insula, having a winter coat was a moot point. It seemed this was the only place free of the wintry freeze, and for Apollo, that was a-okay.

"I wonder what you are, little one," Apollo murmured towards the small egg at his side, still just as patient for the day that it would hatch as he had been upon receiving the gift from Father Earth, "What marvelous creature will you be?" Would it be a bear, like Eytan or Aoduan? A canine like Loretta? Or, perhaps, something mythical, like precious Fina? A dragon, like Tinek? It was all so very exciting, that Apollo honestly didn't mind what was in the egg, so long as it remained happy and healthy in his care. Already he felt a precious, intimate bond with whatever lay inside the egg's protective outer shell, and he could only imagine how much that bond would grow upon the creature's hatching.

"Then I'll have to decide what to name you..." The previously joyful expression seemed to slip into one of blatant nervousness. Goodness, he had never been responsible for naming anything before. What if his companion didn't like it's name? What if he named it something ridiculous? Foolish? What if others laughed at his or her name? Apollo's chest puffed out as he huffed a breath. No one better laugh! Honey-brown oculars narrowed in thought as he pondered the names that he knew of, vacantly scanning his surroundings as though searching for clues from the earth itself.

He had always been drawn to the Earth, but naming something 'Rock', 'Grass', or 'Berry' didn't seem to fit very well. Maybe after a color? Blue was a nice color. "Blue the Companion..." It wasn't that bad sounding, was it? Red was also a nice color, though. Like Ktulu's eyes. A wistful sigh crossed the Merciful's dark lips. Goodness, she would probably smack him atop the head with a hoof if she heard him now. Eytan was a clever name, as was Aoduan. Sheesh, how did Lakota and Ktulu come up with their names?

Groaning almost childishly, Apollo turned his head and nuzzled the shell of the egg at his side. "We'll decide something, I promise. Something cool and clever. I'm sure between you and I, my ball of earth, we'll figure something out."

@[Random Event]

ooc: Zola's hatching thread! :D Open for anyone to join! Even though it's been two weeks RL-time since Apollo received his egg, timeline-wise, this is set early. @[Sevin]

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

It was following a wind that caused Bucephalus to find the floating island, and for a moment the sheer sight of it made him nearly stall out in mid-flight from shock. Not even a wisp of rumour had given him cause to think that rock could fly, so the sight of the island hovering in place with no roots into the earth absolutely confounded the stallion. He couldn't make head nor tail of it. With caution he flew towards the island, where his golden gaze landed upon what looked like tents of varying colors and shapes.

Landing in a open clearing, the stallion braced himself as if his insignificant weight would tip the island and send it all crashing to the earth far below. This Helovia was proving to be quite the experience, forcing his mind to comprehend vastly different concepts and reality. Once he assured himself that no, the isle was not going to fall, the stallion folded his narrow wings and began walking, exploring this new place. He kept in mind, however, the thought of other herds; if this was the home of another band of pegasi, he'd rather not have to worry about a speedy getaway.

Faint murmurs, a mere whisper of a voice, had Buce's ears twitching. So there definitely were others here. Cautiously he headed towards the voice, playing a rather interesting game of hot-or-cold until he rounded a tent and spied the source. At first glance, it didn't register that the other equine didn't have wings. Then realization struck him, and the very first words that blurted out from him? "Where are your wings?!"

(ooc: Sheltered Buce is sheltered)
@[Apollo]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

With all the evil permeating the land, it is no wonder that the darkness continues to reach its tendrils up onto the island as well. The air that had been warm and unseasonably mild suddenly grows cold and the sky grows dark. The sounds of the waterfalls have been soothing up until this moment, but now they take on an eerie how that chills everything living down to the very bone.

Something is wrong. Something is wrong.

What evil comes this time, through the grass and the brush, across rocks and dirt, weaving around trees and tents and bodies? An evil unseen, but felt in the heart and soul. It is a blackness that sucks the very life out of everything that it touches. Swirling shadows creeps across grass, turning it black. Ebony mist sneaks across water, thickening it to sludge that would kill anything that dares to drink it. Then this blackness, these shadows, find their target.

Bucephalus' body grows cold, unimaginably cold, as this evil seems to enter his skin and infiltrate every organ in his body. His heart slows, his lungs gasp for air, even his brain and vision grows dark. The darkness lets his body grow weak, until it is all that Bucephalus can do to remain standing, then it suddenly leaves his body, letting him deal with the aftermath. Next is Apollo, who will feel all of the same symptoms as the blackness travels through his body. Only the egg has remained untouched, but it will not be so.

As the evil leaves Apollo, it snakes its way down to the egg and enters the thing. It is only there for a second, perhaps two, but whatever damage it has done seems to spur the egg into action. The shell begins to crack as this shadow monster flits away. The evil that had permeated the land seems to follow, the winds whispering as it leaves, "Too soon, too soon." It is as if they know that this is not the right time for this egg to be hatching. But hatch it will, the darkness has demanded it.

darknightoftroy

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

Apollo's peace was short-lived. Another soul was about, enjoying the heavenly Isle and making his way towards the stallion's make-shift sanctuary, and for the briefest of moments the overo thought that it was Midas. A second look confirmed otherwise, that while although this winged stallion was a black and white paint, he looked nothing like his Golden brother.

'Where are your wings?!'

The exclamation admittedly took Apollo by surprise. Wait. What? Normally individuals started a conversation with, 'Good day', or 'Hi there!' Maybe even a 'Fuck you,' if they weren't the cheerful type. Apparently not this fellow. "Um... My wings?" The Merciful questioned back, honey-brown eyes briefly glancing to the egg nestled against the fur of his splotched barrel before refocusing back on the newcomer. "I'm afraid I don't have wings, young brother. Perhaps you have me confused for someone else...? I'm a unicorn, not a Pegasus like yourself." For emphasis, Apollo dipped his head, bobbing the proud, jeweled crown atop his head.

There wasn't much else to say on the matter, but not because it was an end of conversation, but because something interrupted them. It was something evil, something wrong, a thick, inky mist-like substance akin to oil, that put a stop to their riveting exchange, and never in his life had Apollo felt so sick, so raped in any way than what he experienced next. The darkness incarnate that lurked upon Helovia flooded through his body, freezing his veins, stealing his breath and seeming to pause his heart mid-beat. For a moment darkness robbed the stag's vision, a terrible light-headedness making him wonder if he may pass out... But just as soon as the terrible, abhorrent, painful sensation had began, whatever force that had possessed the stallion moved on to its next victim.

The egg.

With terror and pain lacing every fiber of his being, Apollo's eyes sought out the tiny creature that Father Earth had entrusted him with, and with a growing sense of horror and dread, watched as the dark, oily-mist infiltrated the hard, protective shell of the egg, causing it to quake and crack.

"No," Apollo whispered breathlessly, both in terror and from the after effects of that damned darkness, the winged male completely forgotten in his fear, "No, no, no, no!" Too soon! It was too soon! The slumbering creature within didn't have enough time to grow! The monochromatic overo remained laying upon the earth, nuzzling the egg, terrified out of his mind. Did he fail? Was the innocent creature going to die? The God of the Earth would never forgive him! Tears of helplessness, dismay, and panic stained his gaze, blurring his vision.

The egg shifted against the unicorn's side, the cracks spreading as the tiny creature inside was disturbed from its slumber. It quaked, shifted, and continued to crack, until abruptly, a tiny black paw emerged from the cracking shell of the egg, followed by a small, muffled 'mew?'

Apollo swallowed and glanced only momentarily towards the stranger that had come upon them, before he lipped at the egg, attempting to help the little creature within greet the world. As he helped pull the hard shell away, it became more and more obvious just what had been growing inside; a tiny, runt of a kitten, black as the night, slowly tumbled from the remains of the egg shells, wriggling about and shifting, a bleating, terrified cry leaving its tiny mouth every couple of seconds.

"Peace, my little ball of earth," Apollo whispered, nuzzling the creature with the velveteen fur of his muzzle, "My little Zola. You're safe now." The kitten was tiny, small, and so very helpless as it wriggled around upon the earth. Experienced eyes of a seasoned medic roamed the feline runt, and despite the crude way of its forced hatching, there seemed to be no physical issues. That alone brought a bit of relief to the overo.

Concerned and fear-filled honey-brown orbs glanced once more towards the winged stranger from before. "Are... Are you well, my friend? That damnable darkness got you too, did it not? Are you feeling well?" Apollo was a medic; blessed by the Spirit Stag with healing, earthly magic.

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

A unicorn? He'd never heard of such a thing before. Quite honestly he couldn't tell if Apollo's single horn was ridiculous or fascinating. Right as he got ready to bombard the other with questions, a single chill ran up his spine. Wrongness. He turned his head to look over his shoulder right as it hit him; cold, colder than anything he'd felt before, sank deep into his flesh. He couldn't move. Panic surged into his throat, and he tried to focus on the other stallion as his vision darkened. Lungs heaved for breath, unable to draw in any air. His heart felt as if an icy hand had gripped it and was slowly, ever so slowly, squeezing the life from him.

But as swiftly as the wrongness came, it left. Bucephalus nearly fell, stumbling with legs spread and wings drooped like a colt just now learning to stand. What the hell... What the HELL was that? He gulped down air as fast as he could, the whites of his eyes clear as the panic remained. He lifted his head, regaining enough of a sense of calm to not fly off as fast as he could, and just in time to see the assault upon Apollo as well. He went to take a step forward to ask the male if he was alright, but Apollo turned away to the egg.

No... no no no no He was puzzled for a second by Apollo's behavior as he looked to the egg, seeing it rock and crack. Did he not want it to hatch? But what came out of the egg puzzled and downright stupefied the stallion. A small kitten rolled out of the remains, mewing. Bucephalus had hunted down pards like the one that just hatched from an egg, and more often than not he had come across a female giving birth. And they did not hatch from eggs. "I've gone mad." He muttered to himself, ears pricking as Apollo questioned his health.

"I'm fine. I've gone through much worse." He lied, his tone portraying a confidence he did not feel. To be truthful the stallion had never been more terrified. It had been as if he could feel himself dying, unable to draw his last breath. The entire ordeal left him trembling on the inside, every feather screaming for him to get the hell out of there. But he didn't let that be shown, no. He had too much pride to admit he was virtually a scared little colt.

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Feel free to tag Buce in all posts; permission is given for force against him provided it doesn't kill or permanently maim him(ask about the latter)