the Rift

[OPEN] Winter Wonderland

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Another day in Helovia, and another day that Bucephalus ranged away from the desert and out to the rest of the world. He couldn't help himself, this was an entirely new place, and every fiber in the stallion's being rang with the single command; explore. He didn't know if his constant vanishing act from Dragon's Throat would land him in trouble, but he could barely give a rat's ass about it. If they did not approve of his wandering, well, then he simply wasn't meant for the herd life.

Hunger chomped at him, a particular need he had forgotten to take care of before he flew off that morning. A glance down at the ground revealed a lavender-tinged meadow, the plants rippling in the breeze. Inviting enough. He cocked a wing and began a lazy spiral down to the meadow, landing with hardly a sound save feathers fanning the air. Buce did not immediately fold his wings, however; too many times had he been attacked in what looked like a peaceful place. His nostrils flared, red flashing from the inside of his nose as he checked for any sign of danger, neck arched and tail raised.

He was well aware that he was posing, but it was also an instinctive measure; anything that looked highly alert and tensed was bound to deter predators, and occasionally intimidate the rare enemy Pegasus. But when he smelled no others(save old trails that hadn't been refreshed in days to weeks), he dropped his guard some and folded his wings."Anti-climatic." He muttered to himself, shaking his windblown mane out before dropping his head to graze.

@[Thor]

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Feel free to tag Buce in any posts; permission is given for force against him provided it doesn't kill or permanently maim him(ask about the latter)

Adelis Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: Seven
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

Here once more, the doe couldn't find herself to stay in place at the Falls; she had regained the strength to adventure away from the hidden valley, but in fear of finding herself lost again, only returned to the very same property lines that she had been only weeks ago. Still, Arvakl's sinister, distant eyes bore into the underfed mare's mind, haunting her dreams each night of her lonesome slumber. While she felt safe under the distant eyes of herd mates, she will never feel right without her sister's voice each night.. even if it wasn't the friendliest.

Today the weather is fair, unlike it had been just the night before. The chill of Frostfall kept the brutt up all night, quivering in a small ball, her body trying to shut down in the middle of the night while her eyes slipped closed. But now the sun made it's way out of the thicket of clouds once in a great while, the wind cold, but nothing that made the malnourished girl stop and wince in pain. It was calm enough even, that a stranger had set to the skies to take a fly. Hiding beneath a thin, leafless tree with thick bark with the wind coming directly at her, she watches the man circle down from the sky and find his feet with ease. Wonder filled her sheltered mind, aquamarine eyes focused hard on the decorative gold splattered along his wings and up along his body. Bountiful hair leaked off of the side of his arched neck; she can feel her thick forelock wrapped around her right ear and crawling down her face, hopefully covering the sickly scar she is so ashamed of.

At this point, she could see the stallion sniffing at the air, his wings still arched out and feathers being tickled by the wind. A stiff smile toys with her velvet lips, pulling them up at the corners; how she wished she could have been adorned with wings like her sister. Once more, Arvakl makes it into her empty mind. The sister with the pink highlights and her fluffy, magnificent, powerful wings. "Each night, once every one else is asleep, he flies high up into the heavens and sleeps on the clouds." Her father's voice whispers in her head, a night time story she could only hear on the nights that mother wasn't around.

The sound of feathers folding against the wind sucks the brutt back into reality, her eyes refocusing from one golden feather and back onto the now rattling body of the stranger as he shakes his head in the air. Silently, she blinks hard, trying to count the golden splatters that decorate his dark body. Another breeze tosses her forelock across her right eye, causing her to shy away from the gust and fold into herself, tripping on one of the tree roots to her right. She falls into the tree, her hip hitting first before she nearly drops and a whimper escaping her dry throat; in a hurry, she finds her footing behind the root and freezes in her tracks, hoping to have not disturbed the speckled man that stands a stones throw away.

"Speech"
@[Bucephalus]

"I DISMEMBERED A MILLION FLOWER PETALS
AND YOU STILL DIDN'T LOVE ME."
- J.F.P.

Please tag me in all replies, ♥ 

The sound of clattering hooves, impact and a faint noise had the semi-alert stallion flick to high alert in a second, whirling towards the source of the disturbance, legs spread, neck arched and wings out wide. "Who's there?! Come out!" He trumpeted, pawing the ground once in agitation before going still as stone, ears pricked sharply.

Bucephalus leaned forward slightly, nostrils flaring as he tried to pick up a scent, but the wind was downwind from him; he could get nothing. He tried to peer into the trees bordering the meadow, but the shadows hid whomever it was well enough that he couldn't make out a single trace. Frustrated and irritated that someone had managed to slip under his guard and come within a radius without him knowing, he half-reared, narrow wings fanning the air hard enough to send some thistle flowers flying from their stems. It was a subtle display of power, a warning...and a bluff.

He had no intentions of starting a fight, he was too tired and too long without practice for it. But that didn't stop the black from posing as a threat, his tail lifted like a banner, golden tailfeathers spread as well. His pride demanded he make one hell of a display, and his Arabian and Friesian heritage would be damned if he didn't. He didn't know of the shy mare that was hiding from him, or how long she had actually been there. All he knew was that someone was watching him, and hadn't made their presence known sooner.

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Feel free to tag Buce in any posts; permission is given for force against him provided it doesn't kill or permanently maim him(ask about the latter)

Hidden Account
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

As soon as she was heard, the stranger's attention was regained, and he wasn't pleased with his silent visitor. A demanding shout allowed the frail woman's ears to lay back in fear, her heart beating hard in her chest within a split second. From this far away she could easily turn and run.. No, not easily, she had no idea where she was going. On top of being easily lost, the doe wasn't known for being agile nor quick; she was filth, remember? The rag doll's throat tightens while the stranger rips a chunk of sod from the freezing earth, each breath full of lively steam clouds and one as ragged as the next.

The show only grew worse, those wings she had just day dreamed about moments before now making her want to dissolve into a pool of shame and sink into the soil below. The golden-splashed brute raised himself off of the ground, a powerful thrust of his massive wings sending the remaining thistle plants scattering off of their shoots and tumbling toward the shaking doll. So many tears of Adelis' have already been shed in Helovia - she was sure they would be the reason for vegetation to once again return in Birdsong - and once more her vision was blurred behind hot tears as they swelled on dark lids.

Intimidated, and heavily reminded of her entire childhood, the doe raised her antlered head, searching for a way out of this mess before she was beaten and left for dead by this strange and violent man. The tiny chain, proving always to be more of a hassle than a blessing, slipped across a low hanging twig that sprouted perfectly off of the branch. The silver pendant pulled hard while the brutt swung her head the opposite direction; the chain, strong enough to not snap in half, clacked against bone and made the rag doll freeze in her steps once more. "No-" she whimpered, eyes reaching up to try to spot the necklace as it dangled between limb and antler. "No, no, no, please don't!" she finally spoke up, likely loudly enough for the outraged male to hear.

Scared and unsure of what to do, Adelis shook her skull, listening to the metal clink against itself and rake across bone and bark. Dark lips tightened while she held back a sob, now pulling herself forward and the chain slipping off of the twig. Freed from the branch, the ghostly pale woman slid from the shadows. Bright, wet eyes peeking up at the brute from behind a wild forelock and a swaying gem inlaid in silver. Her legs trembled, sprawled out like an hour long old foal finding their strength and following their mother. "I'm sorry." A whimper, choking back those same hot tears that had somehow not spilled onto her dainty, dished face.

"Speech"
@[Bucephalus]

- J.F.P.

The stallions wings lowered slightly, and he cocked his head in puzzlement when a feminine voice began pleading after more clattering. Okay, not quite the reaction he had expected. But nothing could prepare him for the mare that crept out from her hiding spot.

The second his gaze locked on her, all the bravado in him went gushing out, replace by shock and horror. She was thin, too thin, and the tears trickling down her slender face made him feel like he just stuck a sign on his chest screaming 'JACKASS'. Truly, a lot of the times he was an ass he generally meant it out of spite or dislike, but this time... Hell.

"Hush, you didn't do anything wrong. I..er...overreacted." He said, folding his wings and ducking his head to her. "I apologize, Miss...?" He trailed off, looking at her quizzically. She was so thin... Even with the Arabian features he could pick out with ease, no horse should be that thin. His gaze flickered to her shoulders, and once again he felt a sense of wrongness in his chest at the sight of a equine without wings. But winglessness aside, the small female was beautiful, delicate features framed by a thick mane, and the slender legs that carried her added to her looks. But the beauty was ruined by her malnourished condition and her whimpering demeanor; something again that was wrong to Bucephalus, for to him no horse of Arabian blood should ever display anything less than pride in their own beauty.

He had to fix this somehow, if only to halt her tears. So, he bent a foreleg and stretched out the other, bowing with wings sweeping out on either side. "My name is Bucephalus, and forgive my rudeness. I'm not from here, and I was concerned about being attacked or such by others." He said as he straightened. "Might I ask where you are from?"

@[Adelis]

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Hidden Account
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

She she burled into view, the anger immediately washed away from the stranger; instead of a fierce scowl that she had expected, his features slide into an almost worrisome, soft mask. Still her heart pounds wildly, her ears flooded with the noise from within her body and her body trembling. "Hush, you didn't do anything wrong-" blue eyes danced behind tears and she blinked against them, ears slowly rotating forward. "Hush-" She hadn't ever heard the phrase "You didn't do anything wrong," and as relieving as it was to hear, it seemed almost foreign to her mind. A shaky breath is drawn in through dark flared nostrils before she can even think of a response. The stallion's wings retracted to his dark sides, her eyes finding themselves on the soft looking feathers; being this close, she almost wanted to reach out and touch them.. she hadn't even felt Arvakl's when they had, well.. when she had gotten in her way once again.

"I apologize Miss-" he trailed off, perhaps inquiring for a name, perhaps unsure of where to turn and run to. Still, it would be rude to not offer her name, wouldn't it? "Adelis." she chokes out, having to clear her throat softly afterword. Unable to keep balance all spread out in a wide stance, she pulled herself up slowly, her head staying just at shoulder height. His eyes bore into her, taking in every inch of her battered body; out of habit, the rag doll pulled her dished face to the left, shying away from his gaze as she attempted to hide the massive gash that began at her snout and stopped at her cheek . Her jaws tightened, teeth grinding and making her ears twitch as they did so. Always ashamed of her looks, she cannot help but wonder if the speckled stallion caught site of her worst scar. Regardless, he was still looking her up and down, eating her with his eyes.

Finally the tension in her brain was broken once he spoke again, introducing himself as Bucephalus and explaining his reasoning behind the violence she had just witnessed. Taught not to spoke until spoken to, the brutt nodded, her eyes cast down from his face and trying once more to count the spots that peppered his shoulders; nervous habit, perhaps. 'One, two, three.. six, seven.'- "Might I ask where you are from?" She stopped counting, stopped breathing for a second, almost forgetting where Midas and Kiara and the panther had brought her that miserable morning. "The Hidden Falls." she replies, her voice no longer shaking, but soft and unsure.

Bright eyes reached up for Bucephalus', secretly taking into account that his forelegs are dipped in white. Even if she were to pick her head up and look proud, the liquid gold staring down at her seemed so high up. A smile wanted to crawl across her lips, but all she could manage to crack across her lips was a soft, shy grin. She wanted to know so badly how it felt to fly, to soar through the sky and touch the clouds and taste the fresh air. Sometimes if she closed her eyes and held her breath, she could imagine what it must feel like. "I was watching you fly." she whispered, eyes casting back down from the strong yellow ones of Bucephalus.

"Speech"
@[Bucephalus]

- J.F.P.

'Adelis.' Bucephalus flicked an ear, his gaze roaming over the small mare once more. He noticed that she hid part of her face from him, but decided not to comment upon it."A lovely name for an equally lovely mare." She would be lovelier if she ate more, but he didn't think it'd help if he mentioned that.

His blood chilled however when she mentioned the Falls, and he looked at her in shock once more. This mare was from the Falls and none had even thought she looked underweight at the very least? His ears cocked back a bit; seems so far his choice to throw his weight with Dragons Throat seemed like a great one. "Whilst I was at... I think she mentioned it was called the Threshold, Elsa almost recruited me. Glad I chose another way then, if they allowed you to get so thin." Even with winter blanketing everything, graze was still plenty enough that a horse wouldn't loose too much weight.

It was her final sentence that truly caught his attention, and he turned his head to look at his wings, then at her. Amusement grew on his face, along with a tinge of sadness. "I have never seen a....unicorn, before I came here. It is disturbing to see a mare or stallion with no wings, forced to the ground. Almost...cruel." He said, shifting his weight before lowering his head so their gazes were more even, although he tossed his head once to get his forelock out of his eyes. "Does flight interest you?"

@[Adelis]

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Hidden Account
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

"A lovely name for an equally lovely mare." 'What?' shocked, flattered, and confused all at the same time, the brutt's eyes narrowed slightly before attempting to lock onto the yellowed eyes above her. 'He's lying. He's making fun of me.' her conscience babbled; offense bubbled underneath the flattery and one trembling leg moved her back by the shortest foot, the pendant tapping the thick, rough base of her right antler. The sentence played over and over in her head, trying to pick up a note of sarcasm in his deep voice, but the more she replayed it, the more she forgot what exactly it was that he had said. Finally, she decided to ignore it and let the stallion move on. Perhaps he would make a less hidden joke further into the conversation and allow her brain to ease out of mistaken, overwhelming joy.

At this moment, his flirtatious tone dissipated in the Frostfall air (which was what kept the ghost visibly quivering) and relief washed over her warm eyes. At the mention of the Falls, Bucephalus' expression changed drastically, but that tone that held mild concern still played with his tongue while he spoke. He mentioned something called the Threshold, a name unfamiliar to the uneducated doll, and someone he called Elsa (also unfamiliar) but at the mention of her weight, Adelis wanted to fall to her knees and hide from this winged man. For not knowing many of her herdmates, the young-minded girl knew that there were a few who did care about her health; hadn't Midas found her, the girl would likely have been killed off already. "No," she says under another shaken breath, "They take care of me. I.." she pauses, wanting to bite the inside of her cheek, but she pulls hard and finds her voice. "I like them. I used to be smaller." For as much grass that she has been able to consume in the past season, the brutt had only thought that she must have filled out, but for as far gone as her body was, it was going to take a lot longer than just a season.

Even while stewing over the thought of this stranger thinking that no one cared for her, she still managed to allow that grin to creak across her face and share what she had been doing before his fit. "I have never seen a-" Bucephalus pauses in his words, almost as if he was trying to find the right word to connect the dots. "-unicorn before I came here.-" Silently, her still wet eyes blink in confusion; how has he not seen a unicorn before? Her memories sway around like old Polaroids clipped up by clothes pins on a line of wire; most blurred, some faded, and others erased to black. What she does remember though, is how bountiful Arvakl and their mother's wings were, but they had all carried antlers and some of the distant herd mates that Adelis could never meet even had sharp, lonesome ones. She had spotted a few of those at the Hidden Falls.

Eventually the malnourished girl nods at the brute's words, her eyes finding themselves on his once more. "Almost.. cruel." 'I want to fly so badly.' she wanted to cry, to just climb out of bed one morning and be adorned with the same fluffy wings as Arvakl. The brutt's tail sways between long back legs, the blue tips dragging across the ground at their longest strings. "Does flight interest you?" Another nod. Finally a smile spreads across her dark lips, her forelock still hung securely over most of the scar, though the bit above her nostril would always be visible. "My sister can." she mentioned, her voice finally fully audible over the constant breeze in the Meadow.

"Speech"
@[Bucephalus]

- J.F.P.

The stallion glanced at her, an ear flicking. If they really did take care of her, would she still be that thin? It worried him, so he pawed slightly at the ground, gaze flickering down as his hoof scraped away the snow. He had been finding sparse grazing before she came, and his pawing managed to unearth a few small mouthfuls. Moderately pleased, he took steps back from it, gold gaze returning to her. "Eat, we can graze and talk." He said, not really suggesting but similar to a demand. Seeing a mare both flightless and underweight made his hide twitch with anger. Hearing that her sibling could fly and not her just solidified that. What cruelty could any deity possess to deny the sky to any equine?

But he forced his voice to soften. "If you'd like?" He tried, frowning slightly at himself before he pricked his ears. "I could try to describe flight, if you'd wish?" How he would do that, however, he had absolutely no clue. How does one describe the glory and pure freedom of flight to one who couldn't taste it for themselves? It seemed mean-spirited in a way; but he supposed it would be better to offer. This mare made pity well in his chest, a rather unusual emotion for the stallion.

"Or... i could show you." His ears pricked as an idea struck him. "But first you must eat and grow stronger." He said, tapping the sparse graze with a slightly feathered hoof before stepping away, excitement growing on his features. He couldn't carry her into the air, he didnt have the wing strength to lift another along with his own weight. He doubted any horse did. But, there were alternatives. The second-best thing to flight.

@[Adelis]

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3

Hidden Account
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

The man was always moving, whether it was a small flick of an ear or a wing shifting, he was almost always in motion. Now, he digs at the frozen layer of snow and ice, digging up enough dying vegetation below to feed a hungry mouse's family. Her wet eyes looked up from behind that thick forelock, quivering in their sockets as she dipped her head down obediently at his words. "Eat,-" he stated, his voice distant in her dusty mind. His eyes, as soft as real gold and just as shiny, watched her with some kind of interest that she couldn't understand. Why anyone would find any interest in her, she hadn't a clue.

"Stay away from me, filth." Arvakl's voice echoed between her black rimmed ears, over and over again, ending each time just strong enough to prod the back of her brain and make her close her tired eyes. She wondered where her dear sister is now, and what she must be doing. '[/i]Flying.[/i]' she whispered to herself in her head, velvet lips almost tugging into a grin again before they were wrapped around dull, wet grass. Silently she chewed, worried that her teeth grinding too loudly would bother Bucephalus or send him into another fit. "If you'd like.." he pauses, trailing off for a second before finishing his sentence. "I could try to describe flight, if you'd wish?"

A single blade of grass fell from her now empty mouth, sailing through the air before tucking itself away again among it's family roots. Her eyes, open once more, search the golden brute's in hopes of finding some perverse joke hiding behind them. But nothing was there for her to find, only that same yellow twinkling back that had been the whole while. "Could you?" she whispered, eager to learn about something that she loved so much. From years of watching, it looked to come as naturally as running to Arvakl and their mother.

Her small, dainty face raised from the half-eaten bushel of grass, her lips slack in a straight line. He paused in his words once more, changing his mind and teetering on showing or telling. "But first-" his round foot scratches at the same pile of grass she had just been slowly chewing to bits, "you must eat and grow stronger." Her jaw parted, dark lips peeling apart by the smallest centimeter as if she wasn't sure what he meant by "eat." Again, her small snout is touching the earth, lips pulling tenderly at the grass, sorry that she was eating the food that someone else could.

A couple more small mouthfuls left little more than the roots in the area she had been nibbling off of and she raised her antlered head again, blue-tinged tail swinging back and forth between thin legs as she finished. "Please, please! I want to learn so badly." she whimpered, ears cupped forward and her attention completely focused on the star-littered stallion.

"Speech"
@[Bucephalus]

- J.F.P.

Bucephalus nodded to himself as she began to graze, then smiled when he saw the eagerness in her gaze. He couldn't help a faint laugh when she pleaded, but it wasn't out of cruelty but amusement at her excitement. "I will, i will!" He said, moving away a little and pawing at the ground once more, digging up a large patch this time, gesturing for her to eat as well. "I won't lie to you; you will never be able to fully know how it feels to fly without feeling your own wings caress the winds. But.. i can give you a glimpse of what it's like." He offered, before dropping his head to graze, leaving plenty for her.

He pondered their conversation as he ate. She mentioned that her sister could fly, and idly wondered why she couldn't if her sister and she were of the same blood. "So, Adelis... tell me a little more about yourself. Were you born here in Helovia?" He asked, scraping at the ground again, having subtly left quite a bit of graze for her. He was healthy, she wasn't, and the act was almost instinctive. Once more his thoughts strayed to her, and he lifted his head with a grin. "I'll cut you a deal. Tell me what it's like to have horns, and i'll tell you what it's like to have wings." He said, ears pricked towards her, head tilted so he could watch her and the ground beneath his digging hoof, checking for more graze for them both.

He continued to crop at some of the grass he uncovered, gaze focusing on Adelis, his curious gaze going to her antlers, then the jewel and chain there. "Also, what's the gem for?" He asked, lifting his head fully from the ground and moving aside, leaving her to graze as he turned in a circle in the snow, removing the cold slush before he folded his legs and sank down, wings clamped against his body for warmth. It was then that(He felt incredibly stupid) he noticed she was shivering. He frowned faintly, then hesitantly lifted his left wing up. "If you're cold... i promise to be a perfect gentleman." He said with faint amusement, offering her the warmth of his side and wing.
@[Adelis]

Bucephalus
Art done by me
Table by Tamme<3