the Rift

[JUDGED] [Grave Champ: Parelia] Where Have All the Good Men Gone?

Cheveyo Posts: 159
Hidden Account atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 8 :: Tallsun HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Semper

Excitement washed through my multi-hued frame while yellow painted hooves carried me quickly to the meeting place that had been sent out for the Championship fights. My track record as of yet hadn't been the best, one loss and a draw, but I was still alive and had all of my limbs so I would continue to try. Today was a different experience though, completely different, unlike my last spar against the black and white paint I didn't look like my normal self, my normally tangled blonde tresses had been smoothed out and braided with flowers and other pretty things while a string of flowers hung around my neck. My tail had also been braided up with flowers of such soft, delicate hues, I still wasn't quite sure where the members of the Edge had found them as they were prettier than any flower I had ever seen. Regardless, I thought the heavily braided tail could possibly be used as a club of some sort in order to knock the opponent out. It was an amusing thought that brought forth an oddly girly giggle from my rosy kissers as I finally reached the clearing and my orchid pools settled on the pale creature that I assumed to be my opponent for the day.
A shiver of excitement passed through my frame once more, this time though it wasn't over the idea of how odd and pretty I must look with my hair all done up like some kind of Princess. Rather it was at the thought of ruining the other broad's costume. Bloodying it up a bit might assist the pale damsel in drawing some attention to herself. Sun kissed ears slammed back to my skull as my white splashed limbs stretched out, pulling out of the easy trot that had carried me here and moving forward into a gallop, quickly assessing the shorter mare as I drew closer and closer to her. She was shorter which meant she would be likely to move much quicker than I was able to. I couldn't move as fast, but I could move for longer, a blessing given to me by the mustang blood that flowed through blue veins.
There were also wings sprouting from her shoulder blades where painted hand prints sat on mine. My best bet would be to ground the pale bird before she had a chance to get in the air and have a better shot at hitting my head and spine. Lowering my skull I circled the pale mare before turning sharply at her left side where I leapt forward hoping that I would be able to latch my cracked and battle worn teeth into the joint of her wing. Forelimbs struck out, using the momentum from my gallop to hopefully add force to wherever they would land on her body before hitting the grass.
I wasn't going to let this bird get away easily.

Speech
Tag:: @[Parelia]
Words:: 487 . 800
Notes:: She is dressed as Rapunzel from Tangled! She has her mane and tail braided with flowers and a daisy chain around her neck.
Attacks:: 1.2
Defense:: 0.1
Injuries:: None yet!

credits

pixel bt Pash, it's also a clicky to my table/tracker

please tag Cheveyo!!

Parelia Posts: 210
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 :: 7:: Frostfall HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Penna :: Peregrine Falcon :: None Parelia

Today was going to be an awesome day, it was the start of the championship. She was dressed and painted up to pay tribute to the Moon Goddess of the world. Her muscular round rump was painted to look like a full moon. The colors on her rump range from silvery white to yellow and black. They painting is so detailed it looks like it would have taken days to complete. This isn't the only piece to her costume just the largest. Strapped across her left shoulder hanging against her foreleg, above her cannon bone, is a quiver with six sharp arrows. They are hunting worthy and she has been thinking of ways to use them in the fight. The cream and teal streaked mare had two more article of clothing on her body. One being a silver chain, woven with morning glory flowers, that takes the shape of a crown with a rock shaped like a crescent moon on her head. The rock sits on the swirl on her forehead and wraps around her ears. She also has a silvery cloak that is held on by the crown upon her dome clasping onto the chain with thick links. The silver cloak covers her wing joints making it so that the glass bands covering them cannot be seen. 'I'll grab one of those arrows in my mouth and try to stab her, see what I can do to make her bleed and slow her down.' Her thoughts were more for Penna's sake then herself. 'Are you going to fight or sit out?' The falcon thought about this as they flew towards the meeting spot beside his bonded. 'I fight if need me.' She smiled softly at him before cantering steadily onward.

As the pale flaxen and red mare appeared around the corner the mare laughed for a moment as she took in her flowers and braids. Shaking the happy laughter away the winged dove watch as her opponent moved easily into a canter. The flaxen maiden was almost a hand taller and did not have any wings. Smirking Parelia threw her own body forward, after she was done circling, lunging as the mare did aiming alabaster teeth for the hands prints. The mare's teeth, if she hit right where the appendages connected to the flesh and three inches above that, she would find solid glass and turquoise stones. Parelia tried her best to clamp her teeth on the skin around, wings should have been. The mare's extra kick, of push off of power, threw her own smaller body off balance for a moment. Pain gripped her side where the mare's teeth as well as body had connected. If teeth had caught flesh, blood would be running under her ripped silver cloak.

Anger gripped her causing small ears to lock back onto her dainty skull. Screaming her displeasure the cream mare allowed her blue flames to erupt over her body burning white hot. She hopped to hear screams of rage and pain pierce the air around her. Lunging to the right she pressed her body forward running just long enough, about five feet, just enough to gather the speed to launch into the air. Her left wing dipped to towards the ground spinning her body around quickly to face the mare. She had no real quarrel with her, they were herd sisters, but this was important. It would show she could hold her own. Throwing her hovering body forward her teeth flashed in anger daring her to come forth and try again. Waiting until the last second she dropped so low her extended legs brushed the ground attempting to body slam the mare's chest(or side if she turned). She hoped to knock her off balance, so she could drop onto her fallen body with all of her hooves. If she did not fall she would allow her momentum to carry her past the mare and whip around for another attack.

"Speach" ’Thoughts’ 'Penna'
Words: 659 @[Cheveyo]
Notes: Parelia is dressed as Artemis the greek goddess of hunting! She has a quiver on strapped with leather around her left shoulder, her rump is painted like a moon, she is silver chain, woven with morning glory flowers, with a rock shaped like a cresent moon on her head. The rock sits on the swirl on her forehead and wraps around her ears. Also Penna is just flying around in a circle watching to see if he needs to help.
Attacks: 1 of 2
Closing Defense: 0 of 1

image credits
[Image: 54a664c1065ed][Image: 542f83afbdf08]
Please tag Parelia! Attack at anytime

Semper

Annoyance, anger, and disapointment were all feelings that flashed through my multi-hued frame as my already cracked ivories clamped around a band that was protecting the pale bird's wings from any vicious attacks. But then there was satisfaction, oh the satisfaction when my hooves collided with the pretty bird's side causing her teeth to click together rather than pierce through my hand-printed flesh. I knew that my kick wouldn't do much more than make the mare sore for a few days, but it was just satisfying to see the moment when her limbs grew shaky and she could no longer keep her balance. Sadly I didn't weigh enough to entirely knock the smaller mare off of her hooves and onto the ground where I could have easily continued to pummel her with dull hooves.
I leapt backwards as the mare's pale harks slammed back against her skull, remembering that the bird had some kind of fire magic in which her entire body could ignite in flames. Somewhat like the crazed gold and white bird, Aurelia, it was a shame to see that the two had such similar powers and for a moment I wondered if this one shared the crazy gene as well. I knew she was a member of the Edge, much like myself, but we had never really spoken to each other and it seemed like there wouldn't be much talking today either. The screams of the mare filled the air while my frame pushed backwards away from the now flame covered mare, she was stunning and horrifying all at the same time and I wished to know how her costume was as flame retardant as her own flesh. But that would be a question for another time because as the thought flashed through my mind the pale bird was pulling herself into the air, just enough that she seemed to be hovering.
I watched carefully as her body dipped and curved as she turned to face me, yellowed teeth bared and gnashing against each other as if to startle me into standing still while she flew at me. At first it seemed as if the creature was going to fly right into my head, but I danced to the side and turned, throwing my hind limbs into the air in hopes of finding purchase on the left side of her barrel. Once my limbs found their way to the ground once more I turned to face the mare while calling forth the flame magic that I held deep within my frame.
As I stood there a ball of flames appeared, spewing flames as it rotated in place, sucking the oxygen out of the area and turning the tall grass a brown color as the life was sucked out of each and every blade in the orb's radius. I didn't want to severely injure the pale bird, rather I wanted to make her stay on the ground and fight like a mare rather than use her ability to fly to her advantage.

Speech
Words:: 504 . 800
Notes:: She is dressed as Rapunzel from Tangled! She has her mane and tail braided with flowers and a daisy chain around her neck.
:: [Magic : DarkxFire | Can create an intense orb of fire that pulls in oxygen from the surrounding area]
:: [ Restrictions | Severe oxygen deprecation within 1 m, lightheadedness and nausea within 5 m]
Attacks:: 2.2
Defense:: 0.1
Injuries:: None yet!

credits

please tag Cheveyo!!

Parelia Posts: 210
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 :: 7:: Frostfall HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Penna :: Peregrine Falcon :: None Parelia

Anger thrummed through her powerful body as every attempt she made to harm the mare fell short. She couldn't conjure a word strong enough to express the burning rage and pain within her thundering heart. The pain was not all about phyisical wounds, she was pissed at herself for not being able to fight worth a damn anymore. In fact this was her first fight since she had been jumped by the golden trimmed bitch. As the flaxen lady jumped out of the way of her blue flames then her flying body, the mare screamed again allowing the rage within to bubble outwards. Attempting to dive out of the way of cream hooves, they missed their intended target and skimmed her hip causing blood to bubble up.

But hooves and teeth were not the only thing this opponent had in store. She watched fascinated as a ball of fire spun brightly between them. Flapping higher she waited for the fire ball speed towards her, when it did not she turned her head reaching for an arrow. To her amazement she found there was only one left. Growling with anger she snapped her teeth upon it breaking it in have before fishing the the quiver for the smaller piece. A wild gleam flickered through her honey eyes, and at the same moment Penna screeched echoing both of their feelings. As Parelia dove towards the mare Penna swooped in from behind attempting to dig his (naturally) razor sharp talons into Cheveyo's neck, or the back of her skull. The momentum his swift body has picked up carries him past her cranium after his attack.

As Parelia nears the fire ball she starts to feel mildly light headed, but the closer she draws to it the harder it gets to move her wings up and down. Throwing her last bit of strength into her wings the mare thrusts her wings as hard as she can, propelling herself at full speed towards the flaxen girl. Screeching again Penna comes back for the mare's face black glinting claws extended searching for her muzzle, above her eyes, or ears. He doesn't want to mam the mare, just distract her from Parelia diving towards the center of her chest. Even though she is already bleeding, bruised, and can't breath very well, she throws all she has into her attack. Pulling her elegant head back right before she reaches Cheveyo then thrusting it forward trying to impale the mare with the sharpened arrow. Even if the arrow did not pierce the supple flesh she opened her mouth attempting to fly by the mare and clamp onto whatever flesh she can while her hooves hit the ground firmly. As she touched down she pivoted as swiftly as she could throwing her rear legs aiming for the mare's barrel or flank, trying her best to inflict as much damage as possible. Penna wheeled away high into the sky watching waiting for the next time his bonded would need his help. As her athletic body landed on all fours again she trotted a few feet away before turning back to face the mare's next move.

"Speach" ’Thoughts’ 'Penna'
Words: 524 @[Cheveyo]
Notes: Parelia is dressed as Artemis the Greek goddess of hunting! She has a quiver on strapped with leather around her left shoulder, her rump is painted like a moon, she is silver chain, woven with morning glory flowers, with a rock shaped like a crescent moon on her head. The rock sits on the swirl on her forehead and wraps around her ears. Also Penna is just flying around in a circle watching to see if he needs to help.
Attacks: 2 of 2
Closing Defense: 0 of 1

image credits
[Image: 54a664c1065ed][Image: 542f83afbdf08]
Please tag Parelia! Attack at anytime

Semper

Satisfaction rippled through my multi-hued frame as I felt my hooves connect with the mare's body, even though it wasn't quite as catastrophic as planned there was still contact that would probably leave the pale mare bruised and sore for a few days. I turned, spinning my ball of red hot flames into existence as the bird hovered not far from where I stood, until she noticed the flames growing and her large wings were suddenly carrying her higher and out of reach of the possibility of me throwing the flames at her. A smirk tugged at the corners of my pale lips as I thought about how interesting it would be to see the oxygen leave her body as she came back closer to me when it was time for her to attempt attacks on me once again.
The smirk was quickly wiped away though when the feeling of something getting tangled in my thick, flower laced braid drew my attention away from the fantasy scenarios and back to reality. I shook my head in attempts to loosen whatever creature it was that was holding onto my braid, it's needle sharp talons sinking in closer and closer to my scalp before I dislocated it and strands of my blonde mane went with it. A stinging pain lasted for a few moments before fading away to a slight throb and mild annoyance that my braid was now messed up. I couldn't seem to keep anything nice. Orchid eyes rolled away from the falcon who had dropped in to pay a visit, my blonde strands still glittering in his talons as he flew away, to settle on the pale bird who was in motion once again.
At first her movements were beautiful, effortless, and dangerous but the closer she grew to the orb of flames and myself the more labored and slow her motions grew, each one bringing her closer and closer to oxygen deprivation. It didn't seem to stop her though, the pale one was a determined opponent, I would give her that, and a decent fighter considering the fact that she had missed twice she wasn't giving up. Just as I was preparing for the other mare's attack I felt the sharp talons once again, this time they found purchase on my sun kissed ear rather than in my braids. Curses flashed in my mind just as the glittering metal arrow the pale bird had been using as a prop was thrown forward, luckily the lack of oxygen seemed to work in my favor as the arrow wasn't thrown as harshly as I expected. Metal scraped down my chest, leaving a mild laceration before falling to the dry, dead grass where the fire orb had once been.
She wasn't quite finished yet, as the costumed mare moved along my left side, I could feel her teeth drag across my hip as if they were trying to find purchase to bite into. Quickly I moved forward, leaving her jaws empty, but her teeth had left their mark as I could feel a few hairs leaving their pores and a slight bruise beginning to form where the hairs once were. Cantering forwards a few steps away from the grass that had been destroyed, away from the mare and her vicious bond mate, and towards what I hoped would end up being victory. A smile tugged at the corners of my pale lips as I turned back around to face my competitor, my body dropped into a curtsy before my vocal chords began to shake and quiver. "Good fight, I hope to see you on the battle field again."

Speech
Words:: 608 . 800
Attacks:: 2.2
Defense:: 1.1
Injuries:: In Penna's first attack he manages to get his talons tangled in Cheveyo's mane, when he flies away these strands are pulled with him causing a mild discomfort (we all know what it feels like to have hair pulled out). Second attack; Penna misses her eyes but succeeds in catching, and cutting her right ear it automatically starts bleeding at a moderate level as even surface cuts on your ears or head will bleed heavier than other locations. The arrow that Parelia tried to stab Cheveyo with misses it's mark of digging into her chest, rather it falls short, still hitting her chest but all it does is scratch her. Pare's teeth drag along her left hip, no laceration is made, but a few hairs have been pulled up and there will be bruising.

credits

please tag Cheveyo!!

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
By my verdict: CHEVEYO is the winner!

CHEVEYO
Realism [+2]
You start out very strong, mentioning some breed differences (don’t forget surroundings!), your costume, and attacking in a realistic way.

Your second post however had no breed or surroundings, and through your defenses all make sense. Unfortunately the way you worded one of your defenses made it powerplay.
“...bird's side causing her teeth to click together rather than pierce through my hand-printed flesh.”
You say that the reason Parelia’s bite missed you is because your kick caused her teeth to snap shut, but that is not your right to say. Parelia wrote that attack wholly intending for it to hit, never saying that she might miss because of Cheveyo’s attack. Trying to figure out a miss can be hard, but you need to do it with the things you can control, which is your character and to some degree the environment (i.e. slipping and thus falling out of harm’s way).

In your final post you do well taking all of her attacks, except one. You didn’t make any mention of Parelia’s buck/kick attack that she ended with. If you meant to imply that it missed, that’s fine, but it needs to clearly say that the attack missed. Additionally, although you took a bit of damage from each attack, which is an option for spreading out your injuries, there was still not enough injury given that the damage rolled was a critical hit. I would have liked to see more than just some bruises and a little scratch because of that, particularly given the falcon’s talons which you describe as grabbing you, but you play it off very lightly - a bird like that could really do some damage, especially if you aren’t actively evading it.

Overall great attacks and defenses, just watch your damage amount and wording so as to avoid powerplay. I’d love to see more breed and surroundings references, and a bit more of the costumes incorporated :D

Emotion [+1]
I felt some sparks of emotion in the first post as Cheveyo was thinking about why she was fighting and who she was fighting, but I felt it was still very minor and trickled away by your second post. I’d love to see more of what Cheveyo is feeling and thinking and how it affects her decisions in a fight!

Prose [+3.5]
You have beautiful writing that flows very nicely and a distinct style.

Readability [+2]
Your posts were very easy to read and understand and you hardly had any issues. There was one long sentence in your first post, and I also found myself wanting a little more clarification on Cheveyo’s position relative to Parelia’s when you came in for your first attack. Were you parallel to her, or perpendicular? Were you head to head with her, or tail to tail? Sometimes I can infer it within context, but you just say you circled around Parelia, not if you came around her head or her rear - even then being as clear as possible is always best. Otherwise you did great mentioning your lefts and rights throughout.

Finally tally: 49.5+(8.5*2)= 66.5 HP

PARELIA
Realism [-3]
I liked your costume idea and loved the description you provided it, however your first thought was to use the arrows as an attack (which you do in your second post), which unfortunately goes against the idea of the costumes. The using of actual arrows to help you attack someone is along the same lines as the example given in the tournament post about a suit of armor costume not being able to protect you. Think of these costumes more as what you would be going out and getting, so probably cheap plastic or rubber arrows! Although costumes can help you to some degree, it’s more for distraction or small injures, not stabbing or gashing. If that was unclear I do apologize, but if you’re ever unsure feel free to ask ahead of time and we can let you know :)

That being said I liked how you incorporated your costume, although I wish you would have mentioned the cape a bit more, such as did it get in the way at all during the fight, especially your flight? Similarly I was looking for more surroundings and breed references from you. In your first post you mention their height, but I would have loved more use of their different stats and builds to explain why some attacks are better, why some don’t work…

I thought you had some creative defenses in your first post, such as your beads shielding her bite! I liked that you got off balance from Cheveyo’s kick, but given that the damage rolled was a 5, I needed to see you sustain more injuries. You can get the injuries from Cheveyo’s attack, or from yourself/environment, such as tripping or running into something (the ideas are endless!), but just sort of going off balance is more equivalent to a 1 damage roll than a 5.

Your attack portion of your first post was also creative, but to help make it more realistic I need more description. Some of the aerial activities you do would be difficult for a bird, much less a pegasus which is a lot larger and heavier. Things like hovering no bird except the tiny hummingbird can do, although I think by context you meant more that you were gliding than hovering? However you also got in the air very fast, had tight turns, and stayed airborne even after attacking Cheveyo so low to the ground, all of which you wrote with relative ease. Given Parelia’s speed and strength are only average and the generally difficulty of those moves even for birds, I’m not sure all of those could have been pulled off, but definitely I would have liked to see Parelia struggle more to do them. Sometimes you can convince me something is realistic through writing that is, explaining in great detail why it is realistic. Parelia jumping into the air in 5 feet by itself makes me think that’s too soon, but if you explain there was a sudden, warm air thermal, or she has trained for short distance flights, or her agility is enough to grant her that etc. maybe I could be persuaded to agree it is realistic, see what I mean?

Within your second post you went the opposite way with damage and took too many injuries given that only a 1 damage was rolled. So taking Cheveyo’s kick to your hip was fine, but having it bleed was too much damage, and not the most realistic kind - hooves are blunt so usually bruise or cause tissues damage more than skin removal and bloody wounds. In regards to Cheveyo’s magic, it gets a bit tricky. Because the damage was low, your ability to continue to fly and attack with her magic going on made sense, but, I needed a more realistic explanation for that, because as it was you seemed to make it sound like it was very easy to fly with oxygen deprivation effects. Maybe comment that you flew far away from the ball of fire, helping null the effects, or maybe fly up high then dive down fast, so that momentum carries you, oxygen deprived or not. In those ways your response to the magic is still showing the magic is an effect and is powerful, but given the damage roll, you are able to persist even with it.

As for your attacks in your second post, I really loved your use of your companion. I already talked about the using of the arrows, and then finishing with the bite and the buck are all realistic. However all of those together, are a bit too many attacks at once. I think just doing the companion attacks and ending with a bite or a kick would have been more believable and given you more words to focus on those attacks so you could detail them more, rather than throwing so many short, abrupt attacks out. Generally I find 1-3 attacks is a good amount in a post. It’s usually more realistic and gives my opponent enough to respond to without being bombarded.

Overall Parelia, you have a good foundation for fighting, since a lot of your attacks and defenses, particularly the timing and flow of them, all were good. However to make them more realistic consider adding in more description to really make them come to live and show why they should work, rather than just saying they do. Watch some videos of horses fighting, birds fighting, and birds flying to get a better grasp on the physics of everything to again being in better realism.

Emotion [+1]
I felt some sparks of emotion in the first post as Parelia was thinking about why she was fighting and how determined she was, even mentioning some past fights, but I felt it was still very minor and trickled away by your second post. I’d love to see more of what Parelia is feeling and thinking and how it affects her decisions in a fight!

Prose [0]
I think you have some good potential for nice prose, but in this fight I found your transitions a bit sparse which made your posts choppy. I would have also liked a bit more attention to detail in describing things to help give me more imagery and feeling to what you wrote.

Readability [-3]
Although bits of your posts were readable, I struggled a lot with deciphering portions of them. Because both opponents are mares, the constant use of mare, she, her etc. makes it difficult to tell which she is being referred to. Using names costs you just as many words from your word count, but makes it much easier to understand. Besides that, you had a lot of sentence errors, which I've detailed below, and just in some cases your sentences were a bit choppy and could have used some commas. I highly suggested you read through your posts before posting them to proofread and make edits as needed. It also helps to read your posts allowed to check if the flow and wording all fits right.

POST 1
“...winged dove watch as her…” (watched)
“... lunging as the mare did aiming alabaster teeth for the hands prints.” (and aiming or comma, aiming. Hand prints).
“The mare's teeth, if she hit right where the appendages connected to the flesh and three inches above that, she would find solid glass and turquoise stones.” (awkward phrasing. I’m also uncertain if you’re saying Cheveyo’s attack failed her because of the beads. Starting it off with “if” makes this confusing about what exactly is happening with Cheveyo’s attack - you are the one who decides if it landed or not.)
“clamp her teeth on the skin around, wings should have been.” (confusing wording)
“If teeth had caught flesh, blood would be running under her ripped silver cloak.” (again this is confusing with the way you use “if”. Is Parelia bleeding? Are you saying she was bit, but not so bad as to bleed?
“She hopped to hear screams...” (hoped)
“...wing dipped to towards the ground...” (remove either to or towards)

POST 2
“...breaking it in have …” (half)
“... fishing the the quiver for…” (in the?)
“...momentum his swift body has picked…” (had - has is present tense and all your words had been past tense)
“... want to mam the mare…” (maim)
“...and can't breath …” (breathe)
“...the sky watching waiting …” (use comma or and between watching waiting)

Finally tally: 51+(-5*2)= 41 HP