the Rift

Broken Shadows

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
MIRAGE

Quote:
[ Please note this thread is reserved only for those characters that Mirage trusts. That is, Vikram, Torasin, Gossamer, Kri and her siblings. If I have forgotten someone and you would like to post, please check with me beforehand before posting, via PM. ]

A red haze blinded the mare. It was what happened when she was pushed too far. She walked, or rather, she stumbled, before tripping over her own hooves and collapsing unceremoniously upon the rough loam. A corpse laid nearby, charred and smoking slowly. It was unrecognisable, but it was, once, a stallion. Unknown to these lands, the mare hadn’t been able to identify from whence he came before she had had to… put an end to him.

The shadowed one had been doing what she normally did – lurk, explore, investigate things that were of interest to her. She had been contemplating lately the possibility of finding herself a home – but things were never that simple for her. How she would go about this was complicated, and well, needed no explanation at this stage – all would be revealed in time. However, how the mare ended up by a corpse, collapsed and exhausted, was another story altogether.

“Wha’cha doin’ little miss?” He was a large stallion, certainly built up with enough brawn to overpower any normal mare. The reason why she was still alive of course, was because, Mirage was no normal mare. Immediately Akaith had arced her back up, for she sat atop her bonded’s withers this evening, and growled, hissed and spat at the steed. He was obvious in what he was intending to do with her, his manhood suggested as much, and the knowing, dirty smile that twisted his ugly façade spoke leagues. He walked towards her, ignorant of the seething gold upon her back, and made to reach out to her.

What he was not expecting, was for the little mare to disappear before him, and be left with a plume of fire in his face. Angered, and now with a singed forelock and a burnt nose, the stallion cried out a trumpeting call, surging forward with teeth and hooves to strike at the mare, the dragon, anything. Mirage, dropping her illusion for a second, danced in front of him, teasing him. He gave chase, and what surprised the mare the most was that he did not give up – even after roaming across a lot of countryside. The stallion was not going to stop until he got his prize.

Desperate, the mare called on something she did not like to. Mirage was born of a furious flame and a quiet shadow – though she mostly kept to the darkness, there was a rage within her that she exercised enormous amounts of control over. Fatigue and frustration caused her mask to slip however, and that red haze stole over her vision. The mare was capable of many dances – now she danced one of death.

Instead of avoiding the steed whose stamina apparently matched her own, she turned and landed a blow with her foreleg directly upon his burnt nose. A silent signal was given to Akaith, and the dragon turned upon the brute. Unwittingly, they had roamed to the Heart of the lands, where volcanic grounds made for treacherous footing. Cunning, the minx bounced toward his right side, before swinging her hindend towards him and lashing out, but not without inflicting damage upon herself. He had followed her movements, and so her kick hadn’t made the strongest connection she was hoping for. She felt teeth rake down her flank, and ground her teeth at the sting they left behind. A shrill scream echoed from Akaith’s maw, as the golden one streamed flames out, this time much more serious and meaning to cause damage than the initial warning ones.

Both the mare and stallion felt the flames, though for the mare it was a welcome warming of her hide than for the stallion’s full-frontal assault. Most of his front end would be scorched beyond recognition already, but the dragon was not finished. No sooner did her flames stop were her teeth and claws upon him, scratching, biting, aiming to rip, tear and pulverise the brute. Driven by a bloodlust felt in her dragon and the rage of the flames that roared within her soul, Mirage turn around again, using her own hooves to help Akaith subdue the steed.

He fell to the ground soon after, and Mirage stood over him, her sides heaving, sweat thick on her hide, her heart pumping fast. Akaith continued to use her flames on the stallion – who was certainly dead – wanting to rid the earth of his unworthy soul. Shivering, suddenly cold, exhaustion washed over her, and this is where we find our little obsidian femme, as she makes a few shuffling steps away from the corpse and falls down herself. Tears streaked her cheeks, as the broken little shadow hated herself for what had to be done. A darkened soul that she was, she took no joy in killing. It was an act that had to be done – there was no escaping the situation otherwise – but it still affected her. She was unstable, she was shattered and drained.

Akaith stayed by her, and sent out a soft mental trill to any that she trusted might hear her beckon. A softer creening ensued from the queen, as the sadness washed through her, and she stood vigilant by her beloved.

VIKRAM:
Quote:It was unexpected, to feel the mind of Akaith brush against his own from so far away. Her call was beckoning, but couldn't hide the urgency behind it. Massive head jerked up from his grazing, grass falling unheeded from his maw as his nares flared. Akaith called, so Mirage must want.. no, need him. There was no other description to go with that beckoning call.

Without a moment's hesitation he flung himself into the air, massive wings sweeping through the air and briefly flattening the grass he'd just been grazing upon. His flight was swifty and unerring toward the center of the realm, the golden dragon serving as a beacon for the bronzen hybrid. Sharp eyes swept the ground as his shadow rushed toward the firey heart, and fell at last upon two prone figures and a smaller, gleaming one.

He didn't stop for a leisurely descent into a polite landing, but instead plunged toward the ground with swept back wings, flaringly them out widely when the ground rushed up to meet him and backwinging frantically to break the plunge into a thumping landing that jarred his bones. "Mirage?" His voice rose with worry as he trotted toward the mare and her dragon, ignoring the other figure some distance away until the scent of charred flesh reached him. Snorting, he looked over at the burnt corpse, then glanced to Akaith with a question in his eyes. What had happened?

His pace had broken for only a stride before he hurried forward, wings only half closed in his rush while his head bent down to Mirage's. "Mirage." It was a low whisper, uttered before his muzzle brushed against her tear-streaked cheek, the velvety soft skin of his nose incongruent with the appearance of this massive stallion that was built like an inpenetrable fortress. He had no further words to offer her, he was no creature of frilly words. Instead he offered his presence to be the rock she could lean on. Broke the unspoken rule of don't touch without invitation without a thought of the consequences.

GOSSAMER:
Quote:In the falling light Gossamer tread back from her daily visit to the threshold. There had been no new visitors today. However, it was not long before a lone beacon reached her mind. It belonged to Akaith, Mirage's dragon, and it held great sadness within the call. Puzzled, the mare turned her direction to that of Helovia's Heart, and set her pace to gallop. Such a forlorn trill could only mean devastation.

Far before she arrived Gossamer smelt the scent of burning flesh and death upon her nares and glanced about to see the sight of a burnt corpse. Could this be Mirage?, she thinks. But no, Mirage lay in a lonesome heap, crying for pain. She slowly, painfully, sends tendrils into Mirage's mind to find out what had occurred. Once she learned what had cause such devastation, sadness filled her heart. It was every mare's worry, a rape or attempted rape. She had never experienced one herself, nor had any mare she'd known, though there had always been rumors about of such horrors.

She was about to go to Mirage when a tremor shook the ground and nearly knocked her off her feet. She looked to see Vikram galloping forward, stumbling and kicking up rocks as he went to her side. There was much between those two, probably love, but neither one ever let on to others if they were or not. She walked forward after him and let him touch her first, thinking that even an un-admitted lover was better to see first than just a friend after such an event. As soon as he'd been there a moment, she floated in a walk to stand behind the laying mare, aligned with her back, and then lay down next to her. Her motherly instincts, honed from years of comforting crying foals, kicked in and she muttered soft soothing words to the mare, "Shh, shh, its alright. Its okay, we're here now love." and, also breaking the rule, she lays her head upon Mirage's shoulder in a horsey embrace as she waits for the words and tears which will surely come. If not, and she played strong and hard, Gossamer was practiced in that as well, and would comfort her none-the-less. She was worried for her friend, so usually strong and reserved, to see her undone like this was saddening. She could do nothing more though, than be a warm and comforting presence at her side.

TORASIN:

Quote:Warm air caressed his golden fur, heat furrowed up from a deep hole which left not many living things nearby. The stallion bounced along at a joyous gait until he was met with a wild trill that could only be Akaith, the companion of a mare who held a special place in his heart. Worried that something might of happened, Torasin picked himself up into a brisk canter, folds of creamy mane bouncing along his neck.

His dainty hooves clattered past a charred body that once resembled a stallion, in a stab of mental pain the image of Byrony's body flashed into his mind. Skewered by a branch and soaked in blood. Tor squeezed his eyes tight shut and used his nose to hunt out Mirage, banishing the image from his mind. The scent of Vikram and Gossamer soon filled his nostrils and his eyes flung open to catch the dark body of Mirage, weeping into the ground. Torasin forgot the charred body earlier, taken over by intense concern for one he held dear. "Wha- what happened?" Tor's lobes were pinned back as he looked around for any intruder, body forming a protective stance over his fallen friend. Guessing it had something to do with the now deceased stag, he slowly turned to Akaith. "Dear friend, will she be okay?" He had never seen her so vulnerable, she who wore a shadow and hid herself from others. They were much alike in ways, and at times Tor felt he could understand that need to hide.

He lowered his worry lined face, a calculating gaze quickly doing a once over on her body. His old healers gaze checked for injuries, bruises, breakages, anything that might cause her harm. Something that would explain the tears. A low muffle escaped his maw as his knees buckled and Torasin lowered to the ground. Facing Mirage, the same old kind eyes watched her weep. The stallion wore a brave face, in hope to bring her round.

AYLIN:

Quote:Heat washes over me as my tiny hooves carry me toward the center of my home. It was another place my mother had spoken of that I was seeing for the first time. To be completely honest, I don't like it. The heat was nearly inbearable and the scent of charred flesh and burnt hair is thick and bitter in my lungs. Still I moved over the land, drawn by a cry that I knew was a dragon. My mother's own dragon accompanied me on my journey at her request that he keep me safe. I was glad that she understood my desire to roam around and explore everything and I think the only reason she allowed it was because of Tallis. He was mellow but became quite fierce when any of us were in danger.

In the distance I could see a gathering of horses. Two of them were on the ground, one of them had smoke rising into the air. That was the first one I stopped at. I stood at a distance as I looked at the charred body, my nose wrinkled at the smell coming off of it. It was thick and bitter before, but now at this close distance it was nauseating. There was a soft trill before Tallis landed upon my back. He was gentle, his claws raking through my fur without scratching me. His neck craned over my shoulder as he looked at the corpse before he used his head to nudge mine away. I took his unspoken advice and turned away from the body and walked toward the other form.

This one I recognized.

"Mirage." I said her name softly before looking at those that had gathered around. A dragon like stallion was the first one I looked at. He held my attention for the longest as I tried to figure out how it was possible for one to look so much like a dragon without being a dragon. The next was a white mare who laid beside Mirage in an attempt to comfort her. Then there was a painted stallion whose knees buckled and sent him to the ground. They were all so worried for one mare and it astounded me that ones so very different from one another could care so much.

Finally I decide to do the same as the white mare and I inch closer to Mirage before finally laying on the ground near her head. Tallis jumped off of my back and landed on the ground with a quiet thud, waited until I was situated then sat beside me as I lay there with her, unsure of what else to do.

MIRAGE:

Quote:
It is not often that one can feel their soul being torn apart. My soul was but a soft entity, made stronger by the dragon whose heartstrings bond us closer than any mere emotional bond ever could. Her beautiful, golden soul encased mine now, holding it together as it threatened to fall apart in a pile of grief-stricken dust. They say when one kills another, their very soul is split. That the stallion tried to touch me against my will was his own foolish mistake. That I could not stop him without killing him was my weakness. But had I allowed him to live, would he had continued to prey upon those less strong than I? I had killed in the past, though it certainly was not a habit, more a fact of survival, but why was this one hurting me so? Oh, dearest Akaith, what have I done?

You did what you must.

No, my dear, he needed to be stopped, but surely not forever.

He was a monster. He paid the ultimate punishment for his lifetime of selfish acts.

Akaith, why does it hurt so?

Stop focussing on the pain.

But what else is there for focus on?

Feel them. Feel their love. Look, they come for you. Rise, Mirage.

The touch of Vikram sent a warm shock down her body. She blinked, and her amber eyes looked into his, and she could finally see what it was Akaith spoke of. Fatigue was the only thing readable on her, as slowly she noted the presence of the pale Gossamer beside her, instinctively she leaned against the other mare, taking silent comfort in her. Akaith had always suspected the Foothills leader was capable of magic that pried into one’s mind, and normally Mirage kept herself guarded, but severe exhaustion and even a small want for the presence of Gossamer within her mind had left the floodgates open. If Gossamer did not guard herself, there was a chance that Mirage’s overwhelming ability to feel emotions in such a large magnitude might engulf her.

Torasin was next to appear, and the mare’s golden gaze drifted to him, seeing once again what Akaith had pointed out to her. She was loved in this world, and her heart swelled with the emotion she felt for all of them. He questioned Akaith, and the dragon merely acknowledged him with a silent nod, knowing that an explanation would come. The gold queen was far and away relieved that her action in summoning those closest to her bonded had indeed worked; Mirage simply needed to open her eyes and embrace them. Svelte ears twisted atop her chiselled tiara then as Aylin, sweet little Aylin, arrived. To this, the charred mare managed a small nicker, welcoming the filly and her draconic friend. Akaith made a small chirrup to the other dragon, curious. Mirage rubbed her nose against the filly’s neck as she laid down, affection and sheer humbleness at the entire situation almost overthrowing the dark, grief-filled beginnings.

“Thank you.” It was all she could cough out. She hadn’t even realised how choked her lungs were, what with all the exercise exertion she had done, ash, dust and smoke hurt her chest. Tilting her tiara so as not to cough on anyone, she snorted and spluttered a little bit, surprised all over again at the rancid stenches of the lands. Memories of what had led her here filled her mind, and once again regret for her actions flowed through her as her glance flicked over to the ashen remains of the one who dared touch her. “All of you..” she began speaking again, trying to divert her attention away from the corpse who wouldn’t be there if not for her actions. She took in a deep breath, and with Akaith’s help, focussed solely on the affection she felt for all the present souls. “Aylin, I don’t know if you’ve met my friends.” Whiskers tickled the filly, as she hoped to introduce them – anything to distract her from thinking about what she had done. “Torasin is the kind, golden stallion, he was there for your birth, I stood by his side. Gossamer is a leader of a great land, the Foothills. And Vikram is wise and strong, and everpresent.”

She spoke as clearly as her dust filled throat would allow. The affection she felt for each was evident, and meant to do them all justice. Though she was quite content lying amongst the mares, she felt the need to be less prone, and shifted her weight against those near to suggest as much. Instability still ran rampart within her, one moment she would have her guard up, the next, her façade would show nothing but sadness and grief. Whenever she wavered, or lingered too long on those emotions that would drag her down, Akaith would always take control, and force her to feel the love and warmth the others were radiating towards her. Ensuring the others stood clear enough away from her, she then rocked her bodice into movement. The scorched hide of her right leg twinged as she did so, but she forced herself upwards, needing to regain feeling in her legs, and allow her lungs to fill with clearer air. The gash along her right flank was not deep, but still a small drip of blood stained its way down her black hide. Tremors ran along her skin, twitches that one usually used to rid their hides of flies were instead testing just how sensitive her bodice was, how ready would she be to flee should more danger arrive.

No more danger today. Stubbornly, Akaith announced it loud in her head. Mirage was forced to look at her dragon, and a smile, small and almost invisible, tilted the edges of her lips up. The golden queen walked towards her, slinking between the gathered bodies, and touched her beloved bonded upon the tip of her velvety nose.
My dear, where would I be without you?
Still laying in the dirt.
Akaith said matter-of-factly, finally satisfied that her beloved was returned almost to normal. The dragon, who had been noticeably tense and focussed before, openly relaxed – as clear a signal as any that already, Mirage was healing. The mare looked to her friends once more, feeling all over again a surge of warm humbleness at their presence in her time of need. She took a deep breath; she owed them an explanation, at least.

“He… attacked me. I avoided him for as long as I could, but he was determined.” She didn’t elaborate past that, the evidence was clear as to what had happened. Her voice was filled with guilt, and regret, for she truly, honestly, did not want to end another’s life if she could avoid it. But he had done wrong by her, perhaps by others in his lifetime too, and though she gave him plenty of chances to live, when it came to the confrontation, the rage inspired by the fire that burned within her had blotted out her vision. This was why she had to keep herself in control, this was why she had to wear the mask she always wore. She was either too soft or too harsh, it was best to keep both sides locked behind the mask of indifference, to pretend that neither existed. Even as the thought went through her head, she knew that today she would be reinstalling the stony mask, and it was with delayed surprise that she noticed Torasin had allowed his eternally happy façade to slip too. A curious smile was given to him, though she remained silent in her observation. Looking to each of the gathered in turn, including the dragon that came with Aylin, she spoke, and hoped the appreciation glowed in her voice.

“I surely would never have risen again if not for all of you.”

VIKRAM:

Quote:Others came, presumably answering the same call which he had answered. Each approach was met with a wary tilt of an ear and a quick assessing glance. He knew them, or judged them safe, so the dark emotion lurking beneath the surface stayed there, put aside in favor of concern for and concentration on Mirage.

She responded to his touch, gaze focusing on the here and now, rising to meet his own. He offered her a smile, an expression that was open and full of friendship and reassurance, before easing back to allow her to greet her other friends. Friends who had come to her in her moment of need, just as he had. His golden eyes were watchful, but allowed a friendly spark when the ebon mare introduced her youngest friend to them. Another smile was indulged in, but flitted away as he watched Mirage shift to rise.

She climbed to her feet slowly, hindered by wounds he hadn't previously noticed. Muzzle extended to brush her nearest shoulder, and then he shifted closer. Massive body eased in beside her and one wing extended over her in a protective gesture. Offering emotional and physical support while at the same time obscuring the view of the scorched corpse. The fact that his height and expansive wingspan was great enough that the length of his wing was enough to lend shade to the others on the other side of Mirage was simply a plus.

But when she offered them an explanation for what had led to this, Vikram's composure cracked. A low growl vibrated in his chest as his head turned to gaze at the body of the offending stallion, golden eyes darkening with poorly contained anger. Lips drew back slightly, exposing the razor sharp canines that he normally kept tucked away while he thoughts ran dark with a desire to do violence to a stallion that was beyond further punishment.. or perhaps not.

He withdrew from the group, stalking toward the burnt body with fully mantled wings and lashing tail. Adrenaline caused by anger fueled him as he bent his head to dig those canines into charred flesh, ignoring the taste that both disgusted him and roused a latent hunger. Massive wings pouned against the air as he lunged into a shallow flight, dragging the corpse as close as he could to the Heart, dropping it into a limp heap at the edge before the rising heat drove him back. He landed where the rising thermals wouldn't muck with his wings, snapping them shut against his sides before stalking forward again. He swung about as he reached the corpse, lashing out with a solid kick with both hind hooves that sent the body over the edge and into the incinerating fire of the Heart.

A decisive snort rushed through his nares as he walked away from the dark task he'd just completed, calm slowly regaining its hold on his soul as he moved to rejoin the bright group that had gathered for Mirage. Tension slipped away as he gave a low sigh, reclaiming his position beside the dark mare. The hybrid's deep voice rumbled quietly. "He is no more, and I hope his memory will not haunt you." His gaze wouln't quite rise to meet any of the others', concerned by what he would see in their eyes in the aftermath of his display that would only serve to remind them that he was as much dragon as horse, and potentially not in a good way.

Gossamer the Benevolent Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: 13
Illusion{Illu}
Gossamer smiled at the little filly who appeared. Though she thought the little one had best not be here, Akaith would not have called out to her if she thought the foal could not handle it....but the filly was so tiny...barely over a newborn. She wiggled over a little bit for the black filly and stayed there until Mirage rose. She smiled at the little filly when she was finally formally introduced and spoke in a warm, motherly tone,"Hello little one"

She was no longer in the mare's mind, for she had sensed that tide which would have possibly overwhelmed her, and closed the gates shut. However, she didn't need to hear the other mare's thoughts to know that it was still pain and sadness which ran rampant thought the black horse's mind. Though Vikram supported most of Mirage's weight, Gossamer still situated herself at her other friend's shoulder and gave her a very small nuzzle of support when the mare spoke of her attacker.

It was with great astonishment that Gossamer watched Vikram leave his mare's side and stalk off to attack the dead stallion's corpse. It took her a moment or two to figure out exactly what the big half-dragon was doing but once she did she relaxed quite a bit and focused on holding up Mirage's weight without Vik to help her hold up the black mare's weight. She watched as the dragon dropped the charred corpse into the fire. It was with that last poof of fire that she relaxed more, the scent of burning flesh gone, it felt like the drama was ebbing.

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[Image: tortable.png]
The paint lifted his ears as Aylin came nearby. At first he was surprised to see the young filly alone without Evangeline, but was quickly reassured when he spotted Tallis with her. The stallion nodded his head politely to her.

The black shape of Mirage moved then and Torasin jumped up into action. He gently nickered his encouragement to her as Vikram and Gossamer helped her up. Her body twitched at the effort, Tor watching with anxious eyes. The black mare spoke of what had befallen her and he clenched his teeth in a moment of rage. It was rare to anger a stallion such as he, it was like someone had ignited a fire in his stomach. He watched Vikram walk over to the stallion's corpse and toss it into the heart. Torasin nodded in satisfaction as he moved to help Gossamer support Mirage. His slight golden body stronger than its initial appearance as he helped the black mare.

The stallion wished he could of been around earlier to protect her, he hated to see the mare in such a condition. "Do not worry dear Mirage. We are all here now and will be for as long as you need us" he pressed his re-assuring words upon her and gently pressed his soft nose to her shoulder in comfort.

The obsidian mare felt secure, and protected beneath the embraces of her friends. The broad wingspan of Vikram provided a shelter for her, one that gave the impression of a fortress being built around her. Golden eyes looked at all of those who had arrived here, again and again she struggled to comprehend the situation. The deep vibrations that echoed from Vikram’s chest surprised her, and as she pieced together was what happening she watched his actions vaguely, almost as if she was absent from her body, watching from an outside view. In slow motion she saw the dragon in him become more obvious, a savage beast tempered only by the equine half of him. He left her side, and she wavered a moment, suddenly filled with a longing for the comfort of his nearness, and took a few steps in his trail. Catching herself, however, she stopped and simply watched his display of rage, learning all the more about her enigmatic friend. Akaith had followed Vikram, hot on his heels she spouted a tunnel of flames in as the body made its descent in to the pit.

He returned to their gathering immediately after that, though the mare could sense a change had washed through him. He looked insecure, almost worried about what the others would think of him, and despite her current condition, Mirage wanted to offer him comfort. Akaith had also returned, landing upon the ground amongst them with a small snort of smoke exiting her pointed nostrils. The others seemed unconcerned with Vikram’s actions, but the raven mare was perplexed, intrigued about just what made the dragon-stallion what he was. He is a bronze. It was not the first time Akaith had called him such. The golden one had always referred to him firstly as the colour his scales revealed, then a stallion, where Mirage had always seen the equine part of him first. But the mare was seeing what her queen had always seen now; Vikram’s dragon half was certainly as real as his equine half.

Pulling her gaze from him, she heard the words the others spoke, felt Torasin’s gentle stroke, and wondered how she was so fortunate to be surrounded by such strong, comforting friends. “Only the memory of my own actions will haunt me.” Quietly she spoke, behaving much like Vikram was a moment ago, not quite meeting others’ eyes. Even as her composure returned, she still felt unclean, like there was a stain upon her soul.

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
It was... strange, to realize that of all of them, only Mirage seemed to notice that he'd risen to the razor edge in his anger. Neither Torasin nor Gossamer seemed to have noticed his anger at all, which made his self-consciousness appear foolish. That Akaith had joined him in his little rampage against the corpse of the stallion who had so sought to wrong the black mare was a small comfort. It was enough to allow him to lift his gaze to meet Mirage's own, penetrating in how she studied him. Recognized him.

But her words, when she glanced from him to murmured them into the air, aggravated him again. Vikram's long tail swayed with a vigor that didn't quite belong to any one emotion, and his voice rumbled out, husky with the things he held back. "You needn't have made those actions if you'd asked for us, Mirage." His golden, slitted eyes glanced pointedly at Akaith, her name unspoken but implied as well. "That stallion was a bully, and doubtlessly would have left you well enough alone had you asked for my presence. I would have gladly flown at his head, and made it perfectly clear that his ways were intolerable." His ears had swept back into his mane, pressing the tangled locks down to the point where a few of his spikes peeked through.

It was a fair guess that he likely wouldn't have settled at just dive bombing an annoyance like that. Perhaps he would have had to fight, defend her honor. But that prospect did not concern him. That was what friends did, they supported one another in whatever situation came their way.

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
ooc://

would anyone mind if i popped back in?

Course not :-)

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali

I watched the dragon stallion as he reacted to Mirage's news with nothing short of rage. Tallis tried to turn my head away, but I watched him. I watched him as he dragged the dead stallion's body across the ground to the gaping hole in the Earth before kicking him in. Flames licked the air as the body fell into the fire below. Once the fire died down I looked back at the dragon horse and watched him, listened as he spoke, and noted that he wouldn't lift his gaze to meet anyone else's eyes. The display was disgusting to me. Yes, the stallion had hurt Mirage, but he was already dead and would hurt no one again. So why treat the body the way he had?

"He was already dead." I spoke up, unable to really understand why the display had been necessary. Sure, he was a bad stallion, but was it smar to desecrate the dead in such a way? I did not think it was no matter what he had done, but no one else seemed to share my opinion of it. I continued to stare at the dragon, my gaze openly accusing.

Finally I shook my head as Tallis moved from the ground to my back, trilling quietly to me as he moved. I should have let him turn my head and block the sight from me because the scene would haunt me. Bad or good, the dead deserved to be treated with a bit more respect than that. It was disgusting and if that was they way they treated the dead then I wanted no part of it, so I turned and began to walk away, Tallis still perched upon my back as he looked at the gathering we were leaving behind.

The biting words from Vikram resounded in her tiara. Sylphlike ears flicked back, the acoustic openings now facing away from him. Golden eyes narrowed, and the dragon companion who stood by her side bristled. Reminiscent of their first meeting, Akaith felt the offence perhaps greater than Mirage – to suggest that they were incapable of defending themselves hurt. Does he think us weak? Akaith exclaimed, and it took a switching of places now, Mirage to become the calmer, soothing one, while the dragon’s temper bristled. The dragon was weary, not only from the scuffle, but from the overwhelming concern she held for her bonded as she recovered.

He does not, Akaith, he is merely concerned for us, I am sure… Even as she spoke the words to her golden friend of heart and soul, she knew she was trying to convince herself of their truth at the same time. The queen radiated tension, but it slowly dripped away, especially once she realised the resolve and composure returning to her bonded. Akaith could see that Vikram had helped the mare even more, by inspiring an argument (or at least, attempting to), Mirage was able to collect her thoughts and ponder a rebuttal instead of replay constantly what had just taken place.

“I think you have demonstrated that you would have done more than simply fly at his head.” Mirage’s words were spoken clearly now, and the mare shook whatever lingered of the guilt and sorrow that plagued her before. Aylin spoke, in her innocent way, pointing out Vikram’s counterproductive actions from before, and with a sad gaze Mirage watched the young belle wander away from their gathering. The mare sent a low whicker after the filly, requesting her to wait, for she would be joining her soon. She doubted she would ever want to return to these fiery, unstable lands again.

“My friends,” she began, looking to each of them, including the dragon-stallion, for he was still one of her nearest and dearest friends. “I ache to return to the Meadow, and would be glad for your company.” Delicately she extradited herself from the holds of her friends, leaning into each one gratefully in turn. Akaith, still glowering a little at Vikram, chirruped a small farewell, before leaping to the skies and following the trail of the filly and the orange-red dragon. It was slow-going for Mirage, with an aching leg, but nothing a day’s rest and bath in the river wouldn’t mend.

[ ooc : Skipping ahead just to wrap things up for everyone :-) ]