the Rift

Why Don't You Do Right?

Oberon Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

O B E R O N
For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.

The past season had proved to be a tumultuous one; the weather just as constantly changing and chaotic as the political scene had been in his old homeland. It seemed that discontent had followed him, so he mused, as he fled one life for another. He had made several mistakes that he had to atone for, that much he knew for certain; but how he would do that was beyond his grasp currently. Oberon was not sure where this second life would lead him, but for now, he was more than content to rest after his long, arduous flight. His wings were tired and sore, despite his healthy nature and stamina. He had not stopped for more than a few hours at most for so long, he had neglected to keep track of the seasons until he was greeted rather brutally by a cold, frosty morning one day.

Oberon wasn’t entirely sure what brought him to this place, but he couldn’t complain about the current predicament. The weather was currently calm, for the time being, which was a great boon. He could tolerate the chilly bite from the wintery season for calm weather. Even though he was certain that the calm weather would not last the entire day, he did not let it dampen his good mood. With a tired smile, the painted stallion pushed forward into the forest, humming softly to himself. Flanked by mountains on one side and surrounded by trees, there was a comfort that the quiet forest provided that he hadn’t experienced in a long time.

The winged stallion paused in his meandering walk, allowing his bright blue eyes to look up to the cloudy sky for a brief moment before they settled on the distant mountains that now separated him from the past he had fled from. There was a fleeing spark of curiosity as the stallion regarded the distant peaks, pondering on what exactly hid upon the snowy peak. After a few silent moments, Oberon shrugged the though off in dismissal, turning his gaze back to the snowy forest around him. There was something lurking about, that much he was certain about. It was hard to deny that there was other life around him, other equines even, when the smells were still so strong. The real question that sat idly in the back of the pegasus’s mind was how long he would remain undisturbed.

tagged: n/a
notes: Open to anyone!
"speech!" thoughts!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful
I know you will

The answer: not long.

"Hey big boy," Ampere crooned, her voice a gentle, sultry sound as it wove through the forest air. It seemed to come from nowhere, but everywhere, at least at first. She was not somewhere easily seen, because it was not where you tended to find anyone.

Anyone that wasn't Ampere anyway.

She moved, and a tree branch swayed. The needle leaves whispered as they brushed each other, the bough rocking unsteadily, threatening to topple the snow which had piled ontop of it. She laughed, a delightful sound full of energy and warmth. "Up here," she called down to him, peering through the foliage as she balanced on two tree branches overhead of him.

She had been napping here, rather by surprise. All the patroling she'd done lately coupled with the mental exhausting of over-thinking certain scenarios had taken more out of her than she realized. While grazing among the trees and waiting for one, well one just like him, she must have dozed off. Not wise she mentally scolded, but it was half-hearted, partly because she was so self-assure she didn't think much could hurt her anyway. Of course we all know that's bullshit, including here, but sometimes it's fun to pretend; sometimes it's saner.

"Traveling through or just apt to stroll through cold as hell forests?" she queried by way of conversation, though her gaze, as bright and wild as a summer storm, was busy asking other questions of him as it washed over his physique.

A M P E R E
PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL

ellsouille.deviantart.com with permission

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
E L S A
Pottery and ventriloquy, candle making..

Competition was a great motivator now. Elsa was more than determined to up the ranks of the Falls, even if it meant having to put on a million different masks in order to please the type of horse she was approaching. However, winter had her much more cocky. With snow freshly planted upon the ground, the ice princess was more than able to go hunting through the threshold again.

Two scents, on distinctly familiar piqued her memory. One was of the mare who had meandered her way into the threshold to woo men with the promise of promiscuous actions. Knowing that, Elsa was a little wary about approaching. Even though she was willing to act how the newcomer wanted, there was no way she was going to loan at her loins to anyone who decided to approach.

That would not be the deterrent for today, however. Elsa was in a mood to bring someone back with her, even if that meant taking on blue-bird again. A light trot carried her, until she spotted the pegasus stallion in her vision. He was a golden paint boy, and for once, taller than herself. Elsa offered a small nod before a voice caught her ears. Above, in the foliage was blue-butt. Elsa let her speak, but couldn't actually confirm if it was her. She was too far away in the branches to see, but Elsa could hear.

She at least wasn't filling her conversations with sweet nothings this time, so Elsa offered no criticisms. Instead, she focused on the stallion and asked her own set of questions. "Greetings Sir, my name is Elsa. It seems two have come to inform you today..." She paused, shooting a glance in the direction of the trees where she heard the voice come from. "Although cold, snow and ice is more than beautiful. Although destructive at the same time. A very underrated season winter is." She mused aloud. "However, that is of no use to you. The land you have just entered in is Helovia. Assuming a lot here, but i'm pretty sure the other one and I are going to try and recruit you. I'm here as a representative of the Hidden Falls, which is just north of here." She said nodding in the direction of the large, towering mountains. That was her home. Elsa opened her mouth to speak, but silenced herself, allowing the man to ask some questions of his own.

words 9001 | tags @namehere | ooc stuff, stuff, stuff

Table by Vossity
Credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Unregistered

O B E R O N

Oberon wasn’t left to his own thoughts for too long. His quiet appreciation for the solitude around him and wandering train of thought was interrupted by a voice; distinctly feminine and clear, thus close by...But came from above him? The stallion’s brow furrowed in his confusion, while his sky colored eyes turned upwards. His bewildered expression smoothed out as his gaze honed in on the movement in the branches before finding the source of the voice. Curious, the stallion’s bronze body shifted to turn more towards her; however he kept his distance out of wariness of her and of the snow that threatened to tumble down from the branches.

“Traveling through, I suppose,” he replied, his white and bronze head tilting to the side slightly as he regarded her from her position in the trees. It was close enough to the truth to pass – he had no desire to admit his exodus from his birthplace to a complete stranger. His attention was stolen away by sounds to his side, ones that were on the ground this time, thus he missed the perched mare’s roaming gaze. Nearly as white as the snow around them, Oberon would have missed her had he not heard her. She appeared patiently waiting for something, which made the pegasus stallion wonder just how long she had been standing there. Had he missed her? The thought made him feel rather regretful if he had, though it was hard to focus on everything when one was as tired as he was.

As the lighter, grounded spoke, Oberon’s sky colored eyes hazard a glance up to the trees. He wondered briefly if, perhaps by some ironic twist of fate, he had landed himself in the middle of something between the two. Dismissing the absurd thought, he focus returned to the lighter pegasus mare, who gave him some rather vital information he had neglected to glean from others during his tired exploration. Oberon offered a sheepish grin. “My name is Oberon. It’s a pleasure to meet you both,” he offered, his gaze flickering from one mare to the next. Even for as tired as he was, he wasn’t about to let his polite nature slide. A slight frown tugged at his white lips. “Well that is rather fine and dandy, Miss Elsa,” he spoke, his deep voice sounding just as tired as he felt. “But I must admit that I’m not from ‘round here. I don’t know anything about whatever herds you might be a part of.”

tagged: Ampere & Elsa
notes: n/a
"speech!" thoughts!

Will you still love me
I know you will

"Perhaps I could convince you to stay," Ampere replied slyly, her head leaning further down from the tree tops, blue eyes sparkling with desire... yet he looked away. She exhaled clouds as she pulled back up into her tree, ears flicking towards where he looked, to where a new voice joined the fray.

Elsa Ampere knew as soon as she heard the voice, only needing a brief glance to confirm the pale mare whom had become her Threshold companion as of late. Ampere grinned. It was always more fun with Elsa around, one way or another.

As the ice queen began to banter, Ampere tip toed in her boughs, searching for a more open region where she could glide down from her wings. As much as she enjoyed her perch, particularly its height, she was getting cold and she suspected Oberon could warm her up. Maybe she thought as the wind caught her after she leaped from the trees. He seems a bit, stiff she thought with a frown as she landed among the snow. The cold settled in instantly, kissing her fetlocks with winter.

"There's not much to know," Ampere replied simply, picking up after their banter. She turned back to face them, wings tucking easily against her backside as she strode in closer, drifting more so towards the stallion. "There are four," she remarked pointedly. "The Aurora Basin in the North, the World's Edge to the west, the Hiddens Falls to the east, and the Dragon's Throat to the west," she paused, flashing him one of her crooked smiles, the kind that was beautiful, but wild, "where I take roost, and by far, the one with the best company." Ampere winked.

"Politics hardly matter much to you if you're just passing through though. This dingy old forest is not the best place to rest your head." Ampere made a face as she shivered, only partially being dramatic. She did hate it after being coddled by the supple sands of the Throat, not to say it didn't get cold at night there, but at least it wasn't wet.

A M P E R E

E L S A

He politely responded, again one who did not know of the place they had wandered into. Oberon was his name, and lost was in fact his game. Or at least not knowing where he was. Ampere then leaped from the treetops as she began her own little explanation. The snow comforted Elsa as she listened, thoroughly surprised that Blue Bird didn't offer up her ovaries for baby making. It set Elsa a little more at ease, although she did not fully trust the mare.

Her quick explanations left little to be said, and Elsa nodded in accordance with all except the last part. One, politics are of upmost importance, even if you are just passing through; make one wrong move and your toast. And two, this place is wonderful! Even in winter the hard pines and towering trees provided much shelter. As for food, that was scarce nearly everywhere unless they want to take a trip to the bowels of the Heart Caves.

Nonetheless, Elsa still had words that were to be said. "Pleasure to meet you Oberon, as for a gist of the herds, Blue Bird covered it." That wasn't her name, but, it was the best she could do to identify this mysterious Threshold stalker. "I come from the Hidden Falls. A lush oasis nestled in the mountains that way. It's waterfalls roar all the time, and provides a peaceful area for grazing, napping, and working. It also has a lot of shelter among the lush foliage and rock alcoves." She nodded to the Falls, which was to the north east of here. It was a very quick walk. "I would, on the other hand, advise you to listen to politics, especially here..." She began with a serious look falling over her face. "A place like the Basin is not the most friendly with those who lack a horn. Wander there, and you may end up like me." She said, flashing her blind eye towards him for a moment. It wasn't meant to scare, but he should not be wandering around these lands alone. "I can give you more information on the Falls if that catches your interest, or can answer most any question. Although, I'm still not sure what you are looking to accomplish here." Elsa admitted with a sheepish smile. She was assuming a lot by telling Oberon about the Falls, for all she knew he wouldn't even be interested at all! Although, Elsa held out hope he would at least give her a chance if he was leaning towards the Throat.

Table by Vossity
Credits

Unregistered

O B E R O N

It seemed like it didn’t take much to get the other mare to join them from her perch. Not long after his back and forth exchange with the pale mare, the other appeared near them on the ground. Oberon’s brows rose slightly as his blue eyes were drawn back to her, mildly surprised at how stealthily she had moved through the branches to be level with them. Though, perhaps he shouldn’t have been so surprised if she was a regular around here. Now that she was closer, Oberon could get a better look at her. She was smaller than him, but Oberon knew well enough from experience that size didn’t really matter; besides, she seemed the kind of sort that could hold her own. Pretty too, he thought absentmindedly during his appraisal.

The pegasus stallion exhaled out in a deep sigh, ignoring how the air puffed up in a cloud around his face. “To be quite honest, herd life has never really been my thing. I grew up without one and did the lone ranger bit while I was younger,” he replied, with a slight shake of his head, causing the thick braid of his golden mane to sway from side to side. The stallion’s wings sagged slightly at his sides with his tiredness. “However, I’m no fool. I doubt I’ll be leaving here any time soon, and knowing little to nothing will be my death sentence,” he continued, pausing briefly. I’ll be dead if I don’t swallow my pride. That much could go without saying, judging by how he was currently carrying himself.

“But I also know I’m not a useless lump of muscle. So my question for both of you is, what could either of you and your lands do for me?” he finished, his blue gaze flickering from one mare to the other. He was seldom a bargainer, but his life before this new land had taught him how to bargain for the better hand; and if he was going to stick around for a while, then it didn’t hurt to see just how good his chances could be.

notes: n/a
"speech!" thoughts!

Will you still love me
I know you will

Ampere was accustomed to nicknames. In fact, she rather preferred them. She had never quite understood the necessity of actual names, and figured even if one wasn't supplied, one would be given anyway (case in point, blue bird). To Ampere, names were just hollow words and well practiced manners.

If you knew someone, you knew them, name or not. Know me, don't name me.

Ampere's attention flicked to Elsa as she refuted the Mother of Companions' words. It wasn't irritation that crossed the lightning marked face; mostly just curiosity. Did Elsa truly believe a drifter needed to know every tidbit of the land? Ampere had never been warned of the Basin, and yet here she stood - if he took to wandering to the North (what idiot would during Frostfall?) they would chase him out as they had her. Perhaps I was luckier than most though Ampere thought as she glanced at Elsa's bad eye, never noticing it before. The claims of their racism were nothing new to her, and though it had angered her at first, didn't every herd have a right to defend its borders? She certainly did not appreciate strangers on the edge of her orange sands.

There was something to be said though, about what happened inside the borders, but now was not the time.

At Oberon's voice the blue eyes made of electricity turned to settle back upon him. Her ears flicked, listening with a growing smile, one that tried to hide the prickling unease of the Basin. As if growing evil of a divine nature wasn't enough, the northerners remained a continued threat - only small stories here and there, but threats to their freedom all the same.

"Feed you, shelter you, bed you - everything the wilds in Frostfall do not," Ampere said pointedly, distracted by her thoughts. With a pause she school her head, chasing the demons inside back into the depths where they would stay until she dreamed. "Ranks of ample choosing and interests, warmth of many kinds, and company to share it with." Ampere's smile seemed to grow heavy on one side, becoming rough and lopsided - a wild kind of look often found on the recently fucked or the recently fought. Ampere was looking for either.

"All herds offer that though," she went on, her tail swishing dismissively, feathers ruffling with the readiness to leave. It was cold here, and she shifted her weight to remind her bones to stay awake. "All that really matters is who you're standing with each dawn, who you're grazing beside every dusk, who you're sweating with afternoon...and night." A coy look as Ampere tilted her head, finishing with the unspoken intent - he picked them now, they had already chosen him.

A M P E R E

E L S A

This fella was a little rambunctious, but not in the normal manner. He was just a little haughty in his words so to speak, he wanted to know what they could do for him. Not a bad question considering without any personal growth, living somewhere was pointless. Even if you only got simple things like food and shelter, it was more than nothing.

Ampere began to speak of her own perks, talking of how they offered the basics; food, shelter, views. Elsa almost wanted to hug her for not being sexual, but then of course her flirtatiousness was thrown back in towards the end of the conversation. Elsa narrowed her eyes and shook her head, not in hate, but in pure surprise that this girl was so loose. Elsa knew she probably couldn't help it, but her actions were sometimes so appalling. Maybe it was her markings that made her that way, electricity was wild, free, and unpredictable. Elsa on the other hand was stuck with a cold heart; she was always factual and to the point. Emotions weren't always outwardly involved with what she said.

Once Ampere finished her little thing, Elsa began to speak, looking to Oberon. She couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealously then, as Elsa began to feel more and more inferior to the blue jay. "Well there is the basics, as she said." Elsa began looking to Ampere for a moment. "But the Falls can offer much more than that. We have strong leaders, in all parts of the game. If you are as much muscle as you claim to be, you'd do well as a warrior. You could train with either of the Legatus', and possibly become the front of the army one day. Or, if you're more suited for sneak, Bellona is the perfect pegasus to learn from. I could offer you a place as a crafter under me, but you seem more of the front-lines guy." Elsa said with a wink. The whole set of words felt awkward, but this was her attempt to lighten the mood and entice him to join the Falls. "However, you'll not have much rest, for you will be placed in whatever calling you choose. From there, you will begin your job, training and becoming the best of the best. Whether you choose to be a solider, crafter, medic, sleuth or seer, be ready to learn. There are no idle horses in the Falls." Elsa finished, taking a step back to give him space. He would have to decide, but Elsa was just hoping he would follow. The Falls needed more strong men, and those willing to work. Lately, it seemed that there had been a lack of those, and it saddened her.

Table by Vossity
Credits

Unregistered

O B E R O N

He knew he had been a little bold – maybe too bold, depending on one’s opinion – but it never hurt to try. Pushing had helped him assure his sister would survive and have a decent, if not good, life as an adult. Pushing had also gotten him into the mess he had fled from, but none of that mattered anymore. He knew it was perhaps a tad risky to take a gamble so soon, but he was never one to act by the books. At least, not yet. He mused that would also have to change, if he was going to settle somewhere for a period of time.

The stallion’s bronze and white head tilted slightly, his attention shifting to Ampere as she spoke. The basics he had assumed, because really, what was a herd without food and shelter? At this point, he was ready to be out of the snow for sleep and warmth to let his aching wings recover. There was true in her words – all herds offered food, shelter, and the chances to rise in the ranks. The most important things to Oberon were who you were with at the end of the day and if they had your back. He was not blind to the slightly wild look about her, either; he knew exactly what she meant and his raised brows showed it. He was not blind to Elsa’s seemingly disapproval of Ampere’s behavior, which struck him as curious.

The pegasus stallion shifted his weight around, ignoring how his cold limbs protested as his hooves crunched in the snow. He knew he had a choice to make and as much as he enjoyed being independent, he did not intend to freeze to death because of his pride. “Well, I must say, you both provide compelling arguments,” he said, pausing briefly to let his gaze dance back and forth between the two mares. “However, there is a certain allure to being somewhere warm for a change. I’m due for a scenery change as it is. I’ll gladly follow you to Dragon’s Throat, miss,” he continued, his blue gaze settling on Ampere. He was not inclined to call her Blue Bird as Elsa had; he’d win the knowledge of the mare’s name on his own. He did, however, offer Elsa sheepish grin. “I apologize for any inconvenience, Miss Elsa.”

notes: Sorry for the wait! D:
"speech!" thoughts!

Will you still love me
I know you will

Ampere had to give Elsa credit for her passion of her herd. It made the Mother of Companions curious as to just what exactly the Falls was like... although if Elsa's continued disapproval of her was anything to go by, it might only be a pretty place to visit and not a place to live. One individual usually did not embody the entire herd and its ideals, but it was difficult not to think that when all you were given was a single individual to judge a herd by.

Ampere did not envy these strangers who walked through the woods, as she had so long ago. Even then she had never really chosen the Throat, it had picked her, and now that she was there, she realized it was home after all. Would it have been the same elsewhere, or would she have wandered the wilds the rest of her life? The idea still struck a sort of romantic fantasy in her, but she enjoyed the various luxuries of herd life, chief among which was good company. The wilds had been unbearably lonely, but she'd never felt that way since roosting in the sands.

That was why Ampere so strongly pressed the importance of company in this dance of recruiting. It was why when Oberon accepted, she beamed. She had just gained another brother today, the best kind too since they didn't share blood but could share other bodily fluids.

Wings stretched eagerly at his announcement, a wide smile consuming her muzzle as Ampere reached out to touch his shoulder in greeting. No more was he a stranger, now he was her herdmate. "Let's get you out of the snow then!" she trilled as she beat a path through the forest, ensuring he was beside her, before taking to the skies - the one true home of them all.

[We'll continue this in this thread :D ]

A M P E R E