the Rift

[OPEN] Forever Changed [Welcoming]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Acceptance tickled my ears and made me giddy. I hadn’t expected to walk away from the depths of the Threshold with Astraea in tow, but the feeling of such success lifted my heart. I smiled warmly to the girl before gesturing to Evangeline so that we might all make a quick departure for I had no intentions of waiting around for Thranduil or Sikeax to protest the mare’s decision. I’d been impressed with the Basin stallion’s magical display, but it did little in the way of convincing anyone else of his might… In fact, it appeared as though it was ignored all together. Besides, everything seemed to happen so quickly and without reason that I hadn’t much time to think about it until moving away from the claiming grounds (not that I was not satisfied in doing so). However, as we breeched the mouth of the forest, a flash of distinct burnt orange caught my eye causing me to pause in my descent long enough to notice Tallis resting high above my head in the barren branches. When I looked back to my supposed companions, I noticed that Eva had fallen behind, presumably distracted by yet another lead that could potentially reveal another lost soul.

With an amused laugh, I motioned for Tallis to join her in her endeavors, knowing that he meant to warn me of their intentions to separate. Evangeline was such a peculiar thing and it was perhaps the thing I liked best about her, aside from her charming good looks… Turning back around, I resumed the path that would take Astraea and I back to the Edge while casually adding, “I guess she’ll have to find her way back alone.” I knew the starlit mare would understand our loose friendship because we had come to know one another since my return to the Edge. Besides, I wanted to get Astraea acquainted with her surroundings before nightfall and the frozen chill of its darkness. I tried not to spend our entire journey home in pure silence, but at times my mind wanted nothing more than to wander. I debated many things and tried to avoid others but everything eventually led me back to Astraea and soon I gave in to my desires and tried my best to fill our travels with kind assurance. “I believe that you’ll find the Edge to your liking dear, but my words alone would certainly fail to do it much justice so I’ll leave our lady to make her own first impressions.

After what felt like an eternity, the World’s Edge finally loomed large before us. It beckoned softly behind the faint glow of the winter sun as the shattered glass wall shed broken strands of light along the icy grounds. They shifted and danced in the soft breeze and just beyond the mists waited eagerly for their newest recruit- no doubt giggling and squealing in their splendor until they might tickle the mare’s ankles in their usual fashion. Slowly, I turned to rest a curious gaze on the starlit lady, keen to witness her expression as she recognized what was soon to become a permanent fixture in her life. Though the crystalline wall concealed most of what lay ahead, I knew that the Edge possessed enough beauty even outwardly that Astraea would feel comfortable in the amenities she discovered there. “Just beyond is your home Astraea. Are you ready to call it such?

Image Credits

@[Astraea]
ooc| Sorry if this was a pile of poop, the next will be better. <3

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Astraea Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Was it normal to feel this way while traveling to a new home? So happy that I could scream. So nervous it almost made me sick. So excited to see my new home that I could dance. So sad from not being able to see the other places that it almost felt guilty. And sentimental as I knew that choosing to live within the World's Edge would put an end to my constant worldly travels. How was it that one could feel so many things at once?

My thoughts became interrupted as an orange flash zoomed by me and into the branches. I hadn't noticed the small reptilian creature back when Thor and Evangeline first met me, but when we first started on our way to the World's Edge I watched it in awe. Though now it seemed as if the creature was going to stay with Evangeline as I noticed she had fallen behind in our travels.

Thor's laughter rang, causing my ears to perk forward and my attention to fall upon him. I saw him motion the creature to go and then he curtly turned back in the direction that we had been heading for the past few hours. With each crunching step, I also continued to follow him eager to get to set my eyes upon my new home.

“She won't be alone,” I managed to say as I tried my best to keep up to Thor's pace. A smile grew on my face as I looked at Thor. Surely, Evangeline had the little dragon with her, but maybe perhaps she would also bring someone else back. Whatever the case may be, she would not be coming back alone.

Some time passed before Thor spoke up again, this time talking about how he believed I'd find the Edge to my liking but no matter how much he spoke of it, it wouldn't suffice. Then he brought up something about leaving a lady to make a first impression. This intrigued me. What lady was he talking about? Was she a queen of sorts, a goddess, just some random mare? I just had to ask, “Who is this lady?”

But before he could answer my question, we soon came upon what I would guess was the border of the Edge. My dark eyes grew wide as I looked upon the broken glass wall that shined and shimmered producing a multitude of light stands. It was as if some otherworldly, mystical source had came and set everything up to look as beautiful as possible for my arrival. And just on the other side of the glass, a cloud of misty fog seemed to wait patiently for us – calling for us to enter all the while.

“It's so beautiful,” I managed to to get out in my awestruck stupor, “I've never seen anything like it at all.” Curiously, I stepped forward to get a closer look at the pieces of the glass wall. I just couldn't believe what was laid out before me, it was just so beautiful – almost as beautiful as the starlit night sky.

Just beyond is your home Astraea. Are you ready to call it such? His words made me tear my attention away from our surroundings for a few seconds, but as I quickly pondered I looked into the mists that seemed to be chanting a silent spell to me. A ghostly soft breeze tugged at my mane and tail pulling them in towards the Edge ever so slightly. With a deep breath, I turned to face Thor and nodded my head as I both made my final decision and spoke it aloud.

“Yes.”
"Speech"
word count;; 612
muse;; pandora mix
tags;; @[Thor]
Astra's reff;; Click!
Astra's voice;; Adelaide Kane (AKA Mary Queen of Scots from Reign).
ooc;; sooo happy right now. 8D
character design © Evvers
posting format © Evvers
coding © Evvers

A feeling of awe and satisfaction washed over me as I looked into the dark depths of Astraea’s clouded eyes. It was then that I recognized a familiar expression upon her face, one that I’d witnessed many times before in various different forms and wearing various different cloaks and names. But they were much the same when it came to recognizing our Great Lady’s beauty. The Edge would forever be my Queen and I her devout mistress, second to her figurative King, the Goddess of the Moon. I was vaguely aware of the star child’s attempt at conversation or perhaps compliment for our fair lady, but I had little else to offer her than a curt nod. Every land in Helovia possessed a natural magnificence, but one only knew their own place and their own heart if they could see the magic behind the mists or the sands or the ice or the dunes… This was how I knew that the star child was finally home.

Silently, I gestured toward the small passage that opened the World’s Edge to the land beyond and turned heel toward the entrance with a little effort. I knew that I would labor much more than the slight filly might upon the incline that eventually led beyond the shimmering glass wall. However, I’d grown accustomed to the trek since returning to Helovia and at times I missed the way my legs would quiver from the strain or the way my hooves my slide over the icy swells because of my obvious heft. I often warned others traveling with me to steer clear from my rear quarters in the off-chance that I lost my footing altogether; the starlit filly was no different as I rumbled at her from ahead. As if on cue, my back right leg slid from beneath me, but only enough to knock me off balance for a moment. “FrostFall is not a friend of mine”, I said to her with a slight laugh. However, I encouraged her to follow all the same.

When we had plateaued enough to examine the tree line of the dense forest beyond the initial entrance of the Edge, I paused in order to spend a bit of time getting to know the star child before sending her off for the night. “I’m glad that you find her to your liking and by she I mean the Edge. Don’t let her fool you Astraea, she and her mists will play wicked games with you if you let them. But don’t worry it’s all in the name of fun.” I winked at the filly to let her know that I was only joking and then picked up a swollen hoof in order to find better purchase atop the frozen grounds. A cool, winter wind lashed out around us and forced me to close my eyes to its strength but before I let the Edge take advantage of us, I moved closer to the forest in hopes that it would shield us from the rigid gale.

I hope that you find everything satisfactory, but I was also curious to know if you had any interest in the ranking system here in the Edge? You could potentially study to be a Nurse, a Sleuth, a Protector, a Philosopher, or a Crafter. Each rank has their own set of duties and abilities, so why don’t you tell me a little bit about yourself child? What interests you?” With a questioning gaze, I looked at the star child more than ready to delve into her figurative depths in order to pinpoint a possible route for her amongst our positions. We still had plenty of time before the sun grew dim and weary, so I decided to use it to best settle Astraea before the rest of the herd had a chance to bombard her with similar requests.

Image Credits

@[Astraea]

Unregistered

Like the stars up above, I remained silent as Thor motioned for us to enter the the opening into the Edge. Excited as I was, a hint of nervousness lingered within my heart as we worked our way up the incline. Would everyone like me? Would I like everybody? Would I be able to live up to any expectations that would be thrust upon me? I had no idea exactly how this herd worked. Was it more militaristic, peaceful, nonchalant, hunter gatherer?

I really had no idea. And yet I chose it to be my home.

My ears pricked forward as Thor rambled ahead of me. Something about keep my distance in case he should slip. Just as I provided him some room, one of his hind legs slipped out from under him and after he caught his balance he continued on while saying something about FrostFall not being a friend of his.

FrostFall.

The word stuck in my head and I paused to take a look around me. All this white snow on the ground, the cold that crystallized the very breath that escaped my lungs. That was what he meant, or at least that's what I thought he meant. This weather, this season...they called it FrostFall here.

“Neither is it one of mine,” I mentioned to him as I pushed my way through the snow and to his side, “I've not experienced much weather like this, so I guess it is only natural that I dislike it.”

As we traveled the incline seemed to flatten out and there was a line of tree just shortly off in the distance. I looked to Thor – waiting to see what his next plan of action would be – but it seemed liked he decided to pause for a few minutes and spoke to me. He said something along the lines about how he was happy that I found the Edge to my liking. He surprised me by referring to the Edge as a she and saying how she'll play games with me if I let her. I took a quick look around noting how the mists seemed to curl and reach towards other objects. Or was that just my imagination? When I looked back to Thor with a questioning look he winked back to me – a signal that he was merely joking.

Or was he?

I continued to follow him as he stepped forward only for us to be attacked by a furious cold wind and then into the woods. Once we were somewhat sheltered from the raging wind, he spoke again. This time he mentioned ranks within the herd. Nurse, Sleuth, Protector, Philosopher, Crafter. Most of the titles seemed like gibberish to me so I didn't know what they were exactly. I did however infer that a nurse was some sort of healer and a protector was some sort of soldier. Then he asked for me to tell a little bit about myself and my interests.

“Where do I begin?” I muttered more so to myself as I looked down to the ground and pawed at the snow laying just before me, “Well,” I paused as I formed the words within my mind before speaking them aloud, “My real mother abandoned me shortly after birth and the mare who took me in didn't really want me either. I've never really stayed in one place for too long. I've always been a bit more independent, ever since I was really little mainly because I've never truly felt like I've belonged.. I've never really made many friends and have remained more to myself than anything.”

As I said my life story to Thor, I realized how somber it must have appeared. A lonely orphan traveling the world all by herself. Not once making friends. Not once having a family. Not once having a place to call home. But regardless of how bad it may have seemed, a smile still found its way onto my face as I looked up to Thor.

“But it wasn't all that bad. I got to see and experience so many things. And I eventually wound up here didn't I? Besides, I wouldn't say I was completely alone. I had the stars to guide me and to talk to,” with that I looked up towards the sky and silently sent a thank you to the constellation Orion for leading me to my new home and then continued to answer his question about what interests me, “Puzzles,” my eyes felt like they lit up as I said this, “I've always been curious. I love to learn new things and solve problems and help others,” I then turned to Thor and continued with my little speech, “As for ranks, I'm not exactly one for physical violence. I'd rather solve my problems with words instead. So I'm guessing a Protector would not be a good fit for me. And even though I admire the duties of a nurse, I'd rather not limit my knowledge to just healing others.”

With my mouth now shut, I felt like I might have rambled a bit or talked Thor's ears off. So I remained silent as I looked up to him and waited to see what he had to say in response to my words. Hopefully, he didn't pity me for my past life. The last thing I wanted was pity from anybody, but even I knew that I couldn't stop what others felt.
"Speech"
word count;; 914
muse;; geronimo by sheppard
tags;; @[Thor] and I guess anybody else if you're wanting that linds lol
Astra's reff;; Click!
Astra's voice;; Adelaide Kane (AKA Mary Queen of Scots from Reign).
ooc;; omg she's being more chatty than I thought she would have xD
character design © Evvers
posting format © Evvers
coding © Evvers

There was something naïve and simple about Astraea that I found myself growing quite fond of. The way she quietly mulled over my shallow jokes or the way she looked at me when I talked about the Edge; it was like everything was new and alive around her. She was so deeply intrigued by the thought of becoming part of something larger than herself that I was immediately taken with the young filly. Her desire for life and her willingness to devote herself to it so fully in spite of the many things she’d yet to understand. It was like a cool drink of water or a breath of fresh air… In truth, she was too much like Essetia. Or perhaps I liked to tempt myself with such threatening ideals. Of which sin I found more appealing I was still unsure, but they still hung loosely around me like flies- irritating but not so much so that I could not ignore them.

I’d tried my best not to bombard the young girl with too much information, but upon sharing our ranking system with her, she appeared to be more confused than ever. I didn’t expect her to know exactly what made our home function, but the least I could do was help place her in a position to choose her fate knowledgably. However, as most females tend to do, she caught me completely off guard by launching into a detailed account of her background. I could not blame her for feeling the need to unpack all that troubled her because I had once shared her shoes… In fact, as she spoke, my eyes softened and the murky pools of their depths focused solely on her. I could relate to her nomadic life because I too had sought comfort in isolation, but we shared the desire to return to society and to those we would take chances on again and again, if only to feel a connection or appreciation. I wanted more than anything to understand this filly even if I could not understand myself… This was her time of flowering and growing into all that she could and would be and I was intent to push her into such a situation.

When she had quieted, I let the silence create the space I knew she would need in order to recover from such a memory. Her life was a lonely one and a single day spent in my company would certainly do little in order to remedy that, but I had the will to make it otherwise. “I can assure you that you are wanted here. I can’t promise a smooth ride, but I can promise that you will find support amongst your peers. I encourage you to seek out each of our members individually because every single one of them will have a great tale to tell, myself included.” With a stunted smile, I moved on seamlessly. Of course we all had a story and I was sure that many would feel comfortable sharing their own, but I had no real desire to approach this youngster with my burdens. They were much to carry, but I still enjoyed their heft upon my own back for the time being.

I enjoyed remembering the pain that gave me the strength to rise above adversity.

However, with past angst forgotten, the star child moved on to more interesting sentiments. It was funny that I’d decided to refer to her as a star child since meeting her in the Threshold because her love of the stars was enough to ensure that I’d been correct in my depictions of her. After amusing myself with my abilities to knowledgably pinpoint another’s characteristics accurately, I nodded solemnly at Astraea in hopes that she would see my willingness to leave stories of her past to wither in the midst of our conversation before delighting in her shared love of puzzles. With fierce jubilance I laughed before complimenting, “I’ve just the thing for you then my dear.” Resting back onto my wide haunches, I took a moment to ponder how I might broach the topic at hand with as much ease and simplicity as I could muster. I didn’t want to confuse her again. “If you prefer solving puzzles, you might do well to look into becoming a sleuth. I’m actually one myself, though aiming for much more shortly. Together we could solve riddles posed by other herds or enemies in Helovia to protect the Edge. Your job would be to find out critical information and use it to keep other informants from taking from our family. Does that sound like something you would enjoy doing?” My eyes were alight with mischief and excitement for my new endeavor and I hoped that someone else would find such interests in the given position. I was intent on promoting as many sleuths as I could because, as per my tendencies, I liked to recruit everyone for just about anything…

Image Credits

@[Astraea]

Unregistered
Thor seemed silent. Like he was taking everything that I said in. But when I looked over to him, I saw his eyes soften and a pang of regret resounded within me. I knew my life story thus far was a sad one, but I didn't need...no, I didn't want his pity. I looked to the snow covered ground and messed with the snow with my right front hoof – my way of trying to ignore that 'I'm sorry' look. Then he spoke to me and my ears flicked his way. He mentioned that I was wanted here and that I'd find support amongst friends and that every member of the herd had a great tale to tell, including him. My eyes squinted a little out of curiosity and I looked to him. He had a great tale to tell? I pondered for a few minutes. Was his story a sad one, a happy one, a funny one, a depressing one? I had no idea what his story would be like and there was only one way I would find out.

“So what's yours?” I ask without thinking at first then I doubled back on myself as I realized how insensitive I sounded, “That is if you're willing to share?”

A few minutes passed before Thor let out a laugh that captured my interest. I've just the thing for you then my dear he had said. His words hung in the air like the icicles from the branches...pretty but precarious. Excitement washed over me, but I wanted to make sure this...thing was just the thing for me so I waited for him to continue on.

It didn't take him long, although he did relax and shifted his weight before doing so. With my full attention directed at him, I listened to every word he said, every pause he took, every twitch he might have made. Secretly I was still conducting my own assessment of him. Was he kind to the heart, or was it all just a show? What did he like, or dislike? What were his morals? Just what was he like in general? All I really knew about Thor was that he seemed like a nice guy and that he brought me here and that he had offered the Edge as my new home.

The more Thor spoke however, the more I realized that he was pretty much on par with his insights of me. A sleuth. Someone who solves puzzles and riddles to protect the Edge from other herds and enemies. It was also someone who would find out important information to use to keep others at bay to protect the family. Our family he had said. There was that word again. Family. An anxious feeling began to gnaw at my stomach as I remembered that I was not only being accepted into a herd, but a family. Yes, a family. Something that I'd never truly had and had never really expected to have despite how things had turned out for me thus far. “This will be my family from now on,” I thought to myself and a faint smile grew upon my lips as I thought about it. Yes...this was going to be my home and its inhabitants would be my family. “And I will be a sleuth,” I added on inside my head as I looked up at Thor.

“Yes it does,” I stated to him calmly at first but then ended on a somewhat giddy tone, “Where do I start?”

"Astra's speech"|"Astra's thoughts"

WORD COUNT;; 588
TAGGED;; @[Thor]
OOC;; Sorry it took so long. But hopefully it's decent enough xD.

ASTRA'S REF;; Click!
ASTRA'S VOICE;; Adelaide Kane (AKA Mary Queen of Scots from Reign).
LRYICS;; Geronimo by Sheppard.

Smile for your sins

Visions of Essetia’s childhood spent at my side flashed seamlessly through my mind. She had been such a carefree soul, so devout to her own mission… What an inspiring memory to harbor of someone. She had been my pride and joy and I felt no shame in admitting her power over me, after all don’t our children hold a part of us in their own hearts? I prayed that I was still somewhere in her soul after every sin I’d committed. However, I feared that an abandoned child was far more punishable than an abandoned herd. They would recover in numbers and my sweet offspring would have to suffer so much, alone. Agony tugged lightly at my chest as it rose and fell slowly in spite of the racing beat of my heart. I had so many wounds to mend and so many apologies to give and yet here I was, wasting the day away pretending that I was still somewhat relevant. My name was to be passed down by a young mare that I’d yet to see upon returning to Helovia… Part of me wondered if she was even still here.

Perhaps she had come looking for me, unsure of what she might find. She would find nothing of course, because I had left the wilds in favor of a comfortable life back in the Edge. However, I trusted that Romul, her companion, would do just as much as I to keep her safe. Or so I hoped… Astraea reminded me too much of my daughter and though they did no resemble one another physically, there was something in the way she spoke and the way the world affected her that made tears sting my eyes. No. I would not let this stranger reveal the emotions of my past- not here, not now. But of course, irony would not let me live my mistakes down and while I gazed incredulously down at the starlit child, I tried to find as many different ways to evade sharing myself with her as per her request. It’s not that my story was so heartfelt as hers, but rather it dredged up pain so fresh that I was unsure if I would be able to cage it away again after turning it free.

Attempting to clear my throat, I sighed while Astraea tried to make a roundabout apology for her intrusion. However, if I expected her to find a family in the Edge or in me, I had to be able to share my story with her. After all, even if she was new to our ranks, I held no doubts that she would eventually become an integral part of what we stood for. “My daughter… She was a bit younger than you when I left. Her mother had passed and the grief was so overwhelming that I thought it natural to abandon my own child… The guilt is quite overpowering at times young one. But this herd, our family… they have helped to remind me of who I once was. They are preparing me to face my mistakes one day at a time.” I’d chosen to keep it short and sweet because I’d wanted to keep the quiver of shame out of my voice… Weakness was not an option now and not ever.

It was strange how attentive the star child appeared as I droned over the many occupations she might decide to take part in during her time in the Edge, but it was endearing all the same. Her wide eyes, so bright and full of life, twinkled as I spoke and the more they shone, the more enthusiastic I felt. It was nice to see so much zeal in a specimen so young… though I suppose it could have been her age alone that made her appear so eager. However, when she started to mull over her answer, I noticed a mischievous look in her eyes that reminded me of myself… and when her conclusion was finally voiced, a sleuth!, I smiled proudly. Not only had I been announced as a specter only some time ago, I now had an apprentice in which to work with! Adjusting myself once more, I turned to face Astraea more fully with bright eyes. “That’s a fine choice dear. As your specter, I assure you that you will be prepared for all that comes your way Sleuth.” This was just the beginning of so many things. We had a lot to learn together and I hoped that I would be able to fulfill this position more aptly than I had when I was King…

Thor
@[Astraea]