the Rift

[OPEN] To Each is Own [Welcoming]

Aeolus Posts: 100
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.3hh :: 3 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

The young colt's excitement grew the closer that he got to home. He was eager to show his new sort of friend the place he had described. Moving forward with purpose he tried to pace himself so that he was not running off ahead of Yuuta and losing him somewhere along the way. While his wings did slow him down a little with the snow and ice his youthful energy powered him forward without missing a beat. What it would be like to fly over all of this... he imagined that it would be awesome! Gliding through the air instead of moving his lanky frame over the ground seemed much more desirable, now he just needed to learn to do it. Maybe mother's friend Aly could help him she did have wings after all. The thought brought a playful smirk to his face as he mentally noted to go off in search of her when Yuuta had figured out where to go.

Nickering loudly as they neared the borderline he hoped that someone was nearby that could accept Yuuta into the herd officially. He had been travelling for awhile now surely he must be tired. Mother was always tired after travelling for a long period of time so that would mean Yuuta would be too right? Shrugging at his juvenile based knowledgable theory he lept over one of the snow drifts unfolding his wings as he did so to try and glide a little ways before landing on the other side. Sometimes it would work and other times he would just crash land on his feet but it was still fun to try especially when it worked.

Turning his head back as he remembered Yuuta following behind him he motioned up ahead to the sound of crashing waves and wind rustling through the trees. "Its just up here." He called joyfully with a grin tossing his head as his feet met the ground once more sending a swirl of powdered snow up around him. Pausing momentarily to shake the snow from his brindled coat he caught sight of the remains of the glass wall signalling the border. The wind had blown snow up against the larger chucks that remained but on the opposite side you could still see that the glass was present. "Watch that you don't trip there are parts of the wall that are still quite solid." He commented relaying the tip from his past experiences. Tripping over the segments was definitely not fun when they were either still stuck in the ground of frozen to it.

"Aeolus Speaks.."
Tags: @[Kahlua], @[Kaj], @[Yuuta] Anyone else who wishes to join it <3
Notes: Continuation of threshold thread

Aeolus
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
x - x
[Image: aeolus_pixel__commission__by_destrierdes...9g5emp.png][Image: aeolus_by_bronzehalo_d9gff3z_by_moonston...9ggy0l.png]
Avatar 1 by Destrier Designs, Avatar 2 by BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**

Yuuta Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

my bright is too slight to hold back all my dark.</style>
Watching the brisk, joyful steps of the youth lulls me into quiet contemplation. My mind travels backward, through time, through pain, through small wondrous moments of happiness, through the dust and grime to my past. I remember being no taller than the boy guiding me. Still, I recall no such innocence in my steps.

Cold, my eyes freeze over like the ice upon the floors of the forest. One might believe I am envious, and perhaps I am. When you are born to privilege, you quickly discover you have no personal privileges. Your life is a perfectly written script to the world. Eyes watch you constantly, the harshest belonging to those that should be a warm respite. Hold your head high, bear the crown threatening to crush your spine. You are born into the world with power, only to find yourself suffocating and weak.

Childhood. Did I have such a time?
I cannot remember.

Do not pity me, however. My life had moments - sparks of freedom. The light movements of youth imitated by the weightlessness of a soaring heart. Does this new fact surprise you? Even caged like an animal, I dreamed of a love pure and true, just like every soul. What became of my hopes lies in another story, but I assume you can guess the ending based on the sour expression with which I observe my childish guide.

Its just up here.

I turn my head, looking around the area and seeking out the Edge he recommended. The home of this joyous boy must be a walk in the park compared to my former life.
What greets me is not the shining sun of paradise but fractured glass.

Ruins of a formerly proud, translucent wall in the night. You would assume that glass would be a poor choice for fortification, yet it mirrored the overall mysterious air surrounding this edge of the forest. I wonder just what sort of a home I had stumbled upon.

As we near the wall, the boy cautions my step. His warning is heeded, my eyes watching for the chunks of crystalline glass peeking through the snow as we pass over into this foreign land. A welcome home for the brindled, winged lad. An interview for myself. "Thank you, Aeolus."
Yuuta</style>
Pattern credit

@[Aeolus]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
On most mornings the queen could be found bouncing along the wall, dancing her way through life and generally being cheerful. Today found her pacing along the wall instead. She could not frown, since she carried her basket of toys and tools in her mouth, but the furrowed lines in her brow betrayed her emotions nevertheless. She had thought the maggots (she shuddered at the thought) had just been some trick of the island- terrifying when it had happened but nothing to worry about. However, the herd meeting had erased that idea from her head quickly enough. There were others that had seen evil, even here on the peaceful borders of the Edge. And though she hated the wall with a seething passion, these troubled times almost made her wonder if she should talk to Kaj about building it up instead of tearing it down. Hadn’t the Lady Moon said to trust no one? Kahlua sighed.

At least a call at the border could distract her. Though the song was a young voice, perhaps one of Brisa’s colts, Kahlua thought that today even a child might be a better distraction than all of the evil there was to think about. Bouncing her way towards where she heard the call, the glass basket she carried swung to and fro. The music box within was silent for now, having ended its song and not having been restarted, but the metal scorpion was far from silent. It clicked and whirred incessantly, almost as if agitated by all the movement. The feathers also remained there, a constant reminder of her glazier that she still needed to deliver them to.

As she finally bounded her way into view of the pair that has crossed the glass wall, Kahlua nickered kindly down to them, Khan swooping down from the skies to settle on her back in interest of two faces that he had not seen before. Settling her basket into the snow that covered the ground, Kahlua couldn’t really help but press the button on her music box in order to provide some mood music. As the tinkling started to fill the air, she smiled happily and greeted the two. “Hello friend, who have you brought to our home?” she offered to the colt whose name (for once!) she could not remember. Turning then to the unknown face, her bright soprano melded with the tune that played. “Welcome to the Edge. I’m Kahlua, queen.”

As she nodded her head to him, the little blue jumped off of her back and began to rough and tumble his way through the snow to entice the colt into a game, as he seemed a much better target for play than the stallion.

@[Aeolus]

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

nickel

Change was hard to accept on even the most pleasant of occasions so it was not hard to imagine what sadness wound its way through the young colt's heart losing his only friend. Weeks had passed by but it still hurt to return home and not have his brother there to greet him or to join in on the fun. The shadow that appeared out of the trees was only the ghost of his memories swirling around in the icy flakes. Batting down the sadness the colt turned back to the stallion he had brought along with him in the hopes that conversation would help make the heavy haze lift away. With his warning came only the simple sentence of gratitude instead of anything more elaborate to spark a topic that he could chime in on. Grown ups, they were just so boring at times.

Lifting his feet carefully to avoid another large piece of rubble the sound of music drifted to him upon the wind. Perking his ears to attention he glanced up to see the familiar painted mare making her way over to them carrying a basket of something. Whatever was making the music seemed to be coming from inside Kahlua's basket he mused wondering what it could be. Trotting up to her with curiosity he carefully tucked his wings back as he extended his muzzle in greeting. Before he could speak another wondrous creature caught his attention as it lept down into the snow distracting his attention. Watching the little dragon flop around playfully he found it very difficult to tear his focus back to introducing the stranger that he had brought along from the threshold.

Batting his tail he lowered his head down towards the dragon for a second before forcing himself to remember his manners. Gazing back to Kahlua with his bright eyes he smiled. " This is Yuuta! I found him." He commented proudly before realizing he should probably expand more on his sentence. "He was in the threshold and I invited him to come back here with me. Is it ok if he stays awhile? He seems nice."

Still bubbling with the excitement he felt from showing Yuuta his home he cast another longing look down towards Kahlua's dragon friend. It would be nice to have someone to play with again if he was allowed to. He didn't want to be rude and go off without asking plus Yuuta was still here too. He really didn't know what else to do to help the stallion other than to bring him back here surely Kahlua would know. Mother always talked to her about things plus she was queen so that would make her know things too. He figured that she was bound to know what to do now that he had brought him back here.

"Aeolus Speaks.."

TAGS: @[Yuuta], Kahlua

Aeolus
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
x - x
[Image: aeolus_pixel__commission__by_destrierdes...9g5emp.png][Image: aeolus_by_bronzehalo_d9gff3z_by_moonston...9ggy0l.png]

Unregistered

Palpable disappointment that I had not elaborated on conversation was apparent from the droop of Aeolus's gait, yet I make no outward indication I noticed or cared. With the winter, a new sound began to fill the air. At first, my mind thought to be playing tricks upon me, hearing the soft twinkling of music radiating from the forest.
I halt as I realize this is not the case.

My ears perch forward grasping for the sound, under the soft lit tones I hear the padding of footsteps on loam - hushed, quiet, aside from the occasional snap of a twig. The approach of someone in this land. Unable to use past experience to determine relative safety, I stand ready for a ghoul or a bunny to reach out from the trees. Muscles ready to run, ready to uncoil, ready for anything . When the lady steps forward from the trees, my posture immediately and visibly eases.

I think her a pretty thing, yet the expression in her face is not one that sings of intrigue in the mind. I could not possibly know how daft she was... just the suspicion that she was a good-natured idiot. Great. More than her beauty, my eyes catch on another unfamiliar shape with wings. Blue, like the purest, deepest summer skies, but a lizard with wings. I wanted to laugh, to break out in maniacal ravings, for not only had I met with a winged horse but a fucking dragon. The Edge, it gave home to several unexpected creatures, played to a happy chirpy tune emanating from a strange looking basket. I resist the laughter, instead portraying a calm face to the world. My dark eyes dangerously cajole.

I allow the boy to speak for me, introducing my name with surprisingly apt grace. Surprising, mainly because moments before he had been curiously sniffing the mare's possessions. With or without wings, children are fickle.

The trigger word of queen rings in my head, and, instinctually, my own head dips in a deep bow, hoof extending forward as my own weight is transferred to my knee. The boy does not move in show of deference, but I can feel the lashes upon my back should I not move. When you are outranked, you are respectful. If you are not, the punishment is great. Apparently, in this world, no such hierarchy matters. Another curious thing, I think, as I rise back to my feet.

"Your majesty," voice warm and welcoming despite the ice growing in my chest and gut. "I would be honored to have shelter within your kingdom."
Manners impeccable, eyes dark and growing darker.
Yuuta</style>
Pattern credit

As the colt came to inspect the basket she had laid on the ground, Kahlua stepped aside awkwardly to let him have closer inspection. A few years in the past she might have looked down on the colt with disdain or disgust. Back then, the very notion of foals had scared her to death. They reeked of responsibility, of chains, of locks and prisons. Children meant giving of yourself for the life of another, stealing freedom and holding it captive in their clutches. Even today, those ideas were still present when she looked at Aeolus, but the fear that accompanied them was so much less. After all, she had come to learn that the leadership she had so desired was just as bad as what she had imagined having children to be. Was herding adults the same as herding children? In so many ways, it was. She devoted her life to them, ensuring that they were safe and cared for, and trying to help them with problems blocked their path to happiness. She had faced that fear every day, honestly she still did, and the terror it held for her had lessoned somewhat.

Nevertheless, each morning when she woke there were questions that she had to answer- Was being queen what she really wanted? Was this power she had acquired everything she had dreamed it would be? Did leading this herd make her happy, or was she ever spiraling further into a hole that she could not escape?

Thus far, she continued to test herself. Perhaps someday she would actually know the answers to those questions.

Bobbing her head in response to the child’s words, she chimed in contentedly enough, “Thank you, you’ve done well for your herd.” She really did hope he would continue to stay with them. Though he was a child now, he would grow to be a stallion; also, she thought it might pain Brisa if the child was to leave as her other twin seemed to have done. Returning her cerulean gaze to the newcomer, she couldn’t help but smile at his respectful show. A more modest individual might have told him to rise, that he need not address her as ‘your majesty’, but Kahlua was not modest and rather loved the attention that was thus doted upon her.

“Shelter we can provide, and friends and family if you want them,” she responded to his request. “I assume you were told about our goals- to spread peace and promote happiness in Helovia?” The question hung in the air as she waited, a short glance given to Khan as he tried to swat at Aeolus’ tail then bounded away, gurgling his draconian call at the growing boy, hoping the child would soon fall victim to the draw of fun. Looking back to Yuuta, she tilted her head in happy invitation to allow him to chat if he wished. “Your journey must have made you tired, how are you feeling after finally making your way to Helovia?”

@[Aeolus]

nickel

Waiting eagerly for some kind of idea as to if he had done a good thing he watched Kahlua's reaction. So far he was not that skilled at trying to read what someone was thinking but if he tried real hard he could learn eventually in time. Finally she spoke telling him that he had done well. A proud smile crossed his features as he bobbed his head happily before the blue dragon once again drew his attention.

Temptation is one of the hardest things to ignore when every sinew is longing to give in to the need. Watching the little dragon running and jumping in the snow was like a cat watching a mouse through a pane of glass. No matter how much that cat wanted the mouse there was always something going to stand in its way. At this moment this was how he pictured himself only his desire was not to eat what lay on the other side but rather to join in the fun and games that were sure to ensue. Who said that he had to grow up anyway? Why couldn't he be allowed to just remain a kid for awhile longer? Kids could get away with murder, well not exactly murder so to say but they could get away with a lot. Couldn't they?

Trying to rationalize a way to slip away and go play the colt tried not to fidget as he cast a glance first to Kahlua and then over to Yuuta before turning back to the queen. Somehow in the span of what seemed like forever they still had not come to a concisive resolution as to whether or not Yuuta would be staying here. Geez what was taking them so long! Resisting the urge to sigh he stood silently while on the inside he was antsy and just wanted to go play for a bit and not deal with adult drama.

As the conversation continued between Yuuta and their queen the brindled colt finally could stand it no longer. "Ummm miss Kahlua..." He started softly not wanting to interrupt them rudely. "May I please go play with your friend? Please?" Trying to sound as polite as possible he took a hesitant step over towards where the dragon had run off to in his luring.

"Aeolus Speaks.."

Aeolus
If there is no one in the world who cares for you, do you really exist at all?
x - x

Unregistered

Had I known my customs were unnecessary, I likely would have been disgusted with the mare. Her actions instead remain quizzical, finding no issue with the foal being a disrespectful little shit, but also not correcting my fanciful greeting. I wonder of the mysteries in this land, yet have so little experience to draw conclusions. I will have to stay and discover what secrets the Edge holds, I suppose.
They were not being given easily.

I assume you were told of our goals - to spread peace and promote happiness in Helovia?

The statement is critically analyzed. First, no, that is the most idiotic goal I have ever heard. Second, I am assuming the Edge is part of a larger whole - Helovia. Third, none of this was mentioned. I smile, my face cold and empty, even my eyes becoming mysterious as I think carefully of what to say. I am guaranteed to have fun investigating this new land, and I have a feeling this Idiot Queen will not accept my rebuke of the herd goal. Smooth, my voice is so svelte as I speak, even I am impressed. "He did not mention this, though I am happy to undertake such a goal, your grace."

With a head so empty, how can she possibly uphold the weight of a crown? It is truly baffling. Perhaps, ignorance is the bliss I could never be afforded.

Idiot Queen asks how my journey has been. I wonder briefly what answer I should offer for those gathered, yet I find myself at a loss for how I truly feel. Discovering such a surprising, inexplicable, and wildly different land is shocking, freeing, exhilarating, annoying, and... a challenge. Maybe, I should turn back, return home, and kick my father's crown from his skull.
But, the possibilities here are endless.

"Like I stumbled upon a gold mine." I look toward the queen's eyes with something mirroring warmth. "I cannot wait to discover more."

I hardly notice the child's banter.
Yuuta</style>
Pattern credit

If only she could remember her time as a foal again- remember the days when she had been young and living in the shadow of the Cathedral. She could remember on some days, but those memories were not memories she wanted to recall. They were memories of shadows and darkness, of a father and mother that claimed all the evil of the land to be their own, of two brothers destined to follow in their footsteps, of loneliness and trying to find her own way when all she needed was a guide. She had been young once… of course, maybe she had never really grown up. “Go,” she said to the colt at last, managing a smile. Her words were overlaid by dragon song that seemed to say, you don’t need her permission. Khan practically insisted the child come play with him. Oh to be carefree again…

Attentions returned to Yuuta, for there was no time to be carefree now, the queen watched him consider her words. His assessment of her- Idiot Queen- was rather apt despite his just meeting her. Though she watched him, she could read little of what his face told and she did not try to dig further. His words that followed were enough for her anyways. Her smile widened, blue eyes sparkling, rather pleased that he was happy with their goal. Not that she would have expected any other answer- who didn’t want peace? Well… there was Tyradon, and Illynx had never really convinced her that she was entirely nice. But still, that was two out of how many. Surely Yuuta did not join align with that crowd.

As he considered her other question, she stepped back, tossing her head inwards, seeing if he wished to walk with her to inspect the interior of what would now be his home. Surely he didn’t want to stand among shards of shattered glass for the rest of eternity. Resettling her basket closer to a tree where it would not be kicked on accident, the queen prepared to walk if the stallion wanted to walk. Of course, she was just as happy to stand. “That’s just how I felt!” she interjected after he had answered. “It’s been wonderful, and there’s always so much to do.” With hardly a breath between sentences, she rambled on. “This floating island appeared recently. It’s great. Well… actually, it’s kind of weird. When you get close clouds gather around your feet and drag you up into the sky. But I guess the gods are up there- did you know there are gods? I didn’t. But they’re just wonderful! The Lady Moon is the goddess of the Edge. You’ll love her, I just know it!”

But by that time Kahlua realized she might have been talking just a moment too long. Bursting into laughter, she shook her head. “Forgive me, I always talk too much.” Her happy soprano chortled on for a moment. Hopefully he wouldn’t mind. After all, she was just as happy to let him talk to his heart’s content, if he wanted to.

@[Aeolus]