the Rift

[OPEN] love tastes bitter when it's gone

Nayati Posts: 116
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: four years
Rathunax :: Common Red Dragon :: Shock Breath cailyn

Aya lonely. A soft snort came from a coal muzzle, delicate and controlled. The epitome of her entire personality. What little she believed herself to have. "Loneliness is a social construct, Rathunax," she easily refuted. It was their most popular topic of conversation, the stubborn dragon obsessed with the idea of Nayati finding more friends. Though Nayati was loathe to admit it, loneliness was a demon she dealt with regularly. A shadow with bloodied teeth that walked with sinister intentions at her side, awaiting the fall of darkness and the crumbling of her defenses to feast on the soft flesh of fear inside of her. She was a cursed, wretched being. A splotch of darkness that led those who attempted to love her down a path of hellfire and disaster.

She was a sinister Eurydice.

Aya...not bad. Please. The pleading tone broke what little of her heart dared to remain, throbbing weakly with life despite all the outside sources that wanted her found dead and frozen in a circlet of flowers. Free of the witch's curse. The dragon's sorrow was nearly tangible, flowing from him until it encroached on Nayati's emotions, impressing upon her the reality of what he was feeling. "I'm sorry, Rathunax." There was no promise to change, to attempt to feel anything but disgust and hatred for herself. It was a promise she could never hope to keep after all.

She was a servant, a tool to be utilized. What her herd asked of her, she would do. Would wear herself down to bone and ligament, would crawl on fractured knees and crippled limbs to do her family right. Anything to make them love her. Rathunax cried a sorrowful harmony, wrenching the hearts of those unworthy and cursed to hear such a forlorn sound. Nayati's guilt mounted to hear his agony, to know it was because of her that it existed at all. "I wish...I wish you did not suffer because of me," she whispered, with eyes too tired to cry and lips with no reason to smile. Flutter of wings lifts her weary head, gentle claws touching her face and the soft velveteen texture of wings wrapping in a pathetic hug round her pretty face.

Never suffer. Love Aya.

And if she finally managed to shed a tear, though she had long believed them cried out, there was nobody around close enough to see.

Forcing a smile, though it was more for Rathunax's benefit than her own, she nudged him from her forehead and back into the embrace of the skies. Trodding onwards, through the chill of the murky water and farther in, until her flanks quivered with the freeze against her skin. Shocking, a surge of electricity that disrupted her thoughts effectively. A power surge that crackles the television set into uselessness.

Finally, relief. Rathunax sang softly, melancholy and resigned, as the tip of his left wing dipped into the water. Ripples and light splashes of disruption against the glassy, eerily calm surface. And as he sang, so Nayati sang with him. Words she conjured up, making as she went, knowing the next bar of harmony with a gentle indication through her mind. Perfectly matched. The only noise in the quiet of the winter midnight atmosphere. A full pregnant moon on a reflective lake. A lonely soul freezing and singing, mad in her own right, enjoying the fact that nobody wanted her. At least she was free. Unbound.

@[Vadim] and all others!

Nayati</style>
  Have to stand up to be stronger</style>

image by seyyed_mostafa_zamani @ flickr.com

the rose shadows said that they loved the sun, but they also loved the dark, 
where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Vadim Posts: 106
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Vlasi :: Common Rougarou :: Water ali
 Vadim

hello teacher tell me whats my lesson

look right through me
                                                                     look right through me

The longer Vadim is bonded to Vlasi the more he thinks that she is one of the strangest creatures he's ever met. The fact that she is a shapeshifter in itself is strange, but even stranger is the fact that each form she takes on seems to have its own individual personality traits. He is thankful that she no longer shifts into a wide array of creatures, but instead only takes the form of three. He has found that her eagle form is the most troublesome of the three. He thinks that the eagle is arrogant and obnoxious with enough pride to even put his brother to shame. The elk is much easier to deal with as he finds it is a more docile creature. It is calm and elegant, proud but not so proud as to make it hard to be around. By far, however, his favorite is the strangest of the three. The three-headed dog brings him an immense amount of laughter and joy. When they are alone she is little more than a pup trailing at his heels when she is not trying to assert her dominance over Helovia's smaller creatures.

It is the shape of the three-headed dog that is bounding through the snow several feet ahead of Vadim. Not too long ago he had been intent on returning to the Steppes but now he finds the idea loathsome. He cannot go there with Vlasi, she is far too young and it is far too cold there. Prey would be scarce and she will end up as thin as he had been last season. He cares far too much for the strange creature than to allow her to suffer cold and hunger. Instead he will roam Helovia, help Valsi hunt when he needs to, and provide her with as much warmth as he can.

The moon is high overhead and Vadim is ready to bed down for the night when the pair finally reaches the grove. The trees provide a buffer from the bite of the wind. He is thankful that there are not many clouds because he thinks that perhaps tonight there won't be any snow. "Let's get some rest." He says to his companion. '...seep.' He hears a small, distinctly feminine voice say and he turns to see if there is anyone around before his gaze settles on the canine not far from him. 'Seep.' she says again, this time with more confidence and the stallions stares dumbstruck. "Are you in my head?" He asks, blinking. 'You mine?' her head tilts and she stares.

Their exchange is interrupted by another feminine voice that the both of them hear. Together they turn and in the distance, lit by the moon, they can see another horse as pale as Vadim is. Her voice is like pinpricks in his brain because he knows it. He knows that voice, though he cannot place it without a face, so he abandons the tree he had intended to use for shelter and he trots toward the lovely creature. With each step he takes recognition grasps at him until he says her name. "Nayati."

"."

@[Nayati]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Outcast

Speaking with Rathunax is still an odd experience for the spotted lass. Knowing he can feel the lingering dredges of her emotions is both intriguing and horrifying, with what Nayati knew of her own mental state. Sometimes she regretted ever winning Rath's egg, it made him feel too much like a prize, like the owned animal Ampere had venomously declared him to be. But when she looked at him, when he turned those fire and brimstone eyes unto her frame with the heat of the underworld searing her for all it's might with the force of his love and devotion...she could not imagine a stronger form of dedication. And she would curse herself for daring to imagine a world without him. He looked at her then, with those leviathan eyes, and she knew he'd go through every trial and tribulation to remain by her side. As much as she desired to spare him the pain of her own existence...she was a selfish, broken creature. An automaton with broken cogs, he the key to repair the machine of her soul and drive her onward once more.

From his vantage point, his eyes flicker like dancing flames over her head, and slitted over the prancing pup in the snow. A twitch of a snarl touches his lips, only to flicker to confusion over the multitude of heads on the critter. Not prey...he didn't trust eating something with mutated craniums. He did not recognize Vlasi in her new form, remembering her only as a platypus when he was but a hatchling himself. Behind her, however, was where he found recognition. Not once ceasing his song, he could not help but feel eager, a plot formulating in his devious mind. The earlier words of his princess still dancing in his mind. The feeling of the gaping, lonely hole in her heart. Daemyn was champion for her heart, and Rathunax approved, but if such a thing were to fail...he eyed Vadim, careful not to alert Nayati to his presence just yet. Yes, he would win as many suitors as he could for the spotted princess' hand and heart.

"Nayati?"

The damsel in question broke from her lyrics with a soft gasp of fright, turning in a sudden shift of water and lilies that floated atop. It seemed her flowers would follow her regardless of environment. "Vadim?" she breathed, crimson eyes brightening like starbursts to see him alive. Scarred knees pranced free of the water to let hooves tumble through snow of same color, relief and excitement a complex web around her. Sure, she'd seen him in the caves, but with all the danger surrounding Helovia with the worms and the crows...she can't help but tentatively reach her blackened lips to him in a friendly gesture. Eyes composing entire sonnets that her lips could not herald, epics of relief and companionship tied together into a bow of friendship. A tentative one she daren't ask him whether it exists or not.

"Oh Vadim, it warms my hear to see you well," the shy angel spoke, her hesitant smile to see the ever-changing Vlasi nearby. "And Vlasi. I'm afraid I cannot shed light on her form this time," she laughed. From above, Rathunax took the spotlight, a soft churr of dragon song swirling like smoke on water from his scaled lips. Drifting easily towards the horned stallion, circling him before attempting to land upon his withers, slow as to allow rejection. Handsome. Aya like? The insinuation alone was enough to make her ears burn, and she choked out his name in indignation. "Rathunax!" Shyly ducking her head to her breast, her ears fell to half-mast, sideways and embarrassed as if Vadim could have possibly heard her companion's blunt inquisitions.

"Have you been well? Is the cold treating you decently?" Worry overtook her shyness, and she began to peer at his frame and Vlasi's as well, dreading any injuries or signs of frostbite. She worried too much for all those but herself, perhaps. But at least she had a herd to return to, at night.

Nayati</style>

where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Vadim

look right through me
                                                                     look right through me

His head tilts to the side as Nayati bursts from the water and steps into the snow. He wonders if she's cold because it is cold. It is not as cold as the Steppe is, but it is still cold enough for snow to cling to the ground. He bobs his head when she mentions him being alive and well, though he does not know why she claims that it warms her heart that he is. Warmth blooms in his chest and he wonders if he's feeling the same way she is or if its indigestion from the tree bark he had eaten a few hours earlier. 'tupid.' Vlasi snickers, making Vadim snort quietly. As if she has much room to make comments when she is just as oblivious to the world as he is.

Vadim's eyes are drawn toward the sky and he finds himself shrinking back at the sight of the dragon. He does not think that Nayati will allow her companion to harm him, but the sight of the red beast up there is somewhat unsettling. His ears tilt back but he forces himself still as the dragon lands upon his withers, making the odd noises that he assumes all dragons make. Vlasi growls a warning at the dragon the sits on her rump and waits for the introductions to be done so they can bed down for the night and sleep. 'Tired'

"Have you been well? Is the cold treating you decently?"

"Yes." Vadim says as he bobs his head again. "Cold?" He asks as he looks pointedly at her legs, which had been immersed in frigid water and now snow. "You'll get sick." He attempts to scold Nayati, but it falls flat and he sighs. "Why are you here?" He asks next because he is positive that she belongs to a herd. One that can keep her warm during Frostfall. His mind immediately jumps the gun and he begins to wonder if she was outcasted or if she ran away from someone trying to hurt her and his eyes darken. He thinks that Nayati is, by far, one of the kindest and gentlest creatures he's met and, though he is not good at fighting, he will defend her if someone is after her.

"."

@[Nayati]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Outcast

Nayati had known since she'd first met Vadim that he was a soul of few words, something she could relate to rather well. Most of her life she had been a functioning mute, and though her appreciation for eloquence had grown substantially she was still a creature of quietude. So when Vadim's elegant crown merely nodded in response to her observation she was unperturbed, smile still warm and inviting. To what she was unsure, but she wanted to bask in it with Vadim, to not be so alone for a single evening. Whether or not he would join her, in whatever adventure it was that she felt as if she needed in that moment, would be seen.

Rathunax was clearly a source of unease for him, and she felt a tad embarrassed at her companion's forthright actions. "I apologize," she chimed delicately, snowy ears swiveling shyly upon her crown. "He's very bold." At her silent beckon he lifts delicately- ever mindful of his claws- from Vadim's withers to embrace the skies once more. Remembering her company's reaction to the circling of her bonded, she gently called him from the heavens. Rathunax huffed, more upset by the fact he could no longer play matchmaker up close than snubbed at the distrust displayed by Vadim and Vlasi.

The reminder of the cold brings her back from where she'd been tied too deeply with Rathunax, and her knees are knocking together pitifully as embarrassment and a small helping of shame dip her head, furthering the height difference between them. "I know. I should, at least, I'm a nurse," she laughed softly, not minding that she was poking fun at herself. "I just...needed to get my mind off things. But now I regret it." Scarred knees trembled and her little body shook, but she never bothered to stop smiling. Why should she? She wasn't alone anymore, that was all that mattered.

It slid from her face, however, when Vadim asked why she was out alone. Expressive rubies flickered away and she flicked her sopping wet tail to distract herself. "I don't know anyone, in the Edge. They don't bother to remember my name, to realize...well, anyways. I like to come here, when I feel lonely. It's beautiful," she breathed softly, turning to gaze out over the stillness of the water, the sinking sun reflected upon the mirror-like surface. What she expected from Vadim, Nayati wasn't sure. It was likely he would gruffly apologize, fall to silence perhaps. But the little flower-bearer didn't mind much. At least she had told somebody. "C-Can we move somewhere warmer? Though it really is my own fault," her teeth chattered even as she laughed sheepishly, shivering all over. Rathunax's worried chitters soothed over her ears as he swiftly landed upon her spine, spreading his wings to warm what little he could cover of her body. Glaring over his bonded's shoulder as if demanding Vadim to do something.

Nayati</style>

Vadim

look right through me
                                                                     look right through me

His ears tilt forward as she apologizes for her dragon's actions and in response Vadim shrugs his muscled shoulders. It is not that he doesn't like Rathunax, he is simply startled by the dragon flying overhead. The last time something flew above his head like that he was shat on by his own companion. Vlasi snickers as her bonded thinks of this and soon her snickering turns into howls of canine laughter as she rolls in the grass. Vadim's ears then fall sideways and he casts a glance at his companion, thinking that her antics were nowhere near as funny as she seems to think they are.

Nayati's sweet voice cuts through Vlasi's laughter and Vadim refocuses his attention on the pretty mare who makes it known that she is a nurse. This is valuable information for Vadim, who does not have the best luck in the world. She mentions the Edge next and he stores that away as well. The next time he is in need of a medic because of his own stupidity he will seek out Nayati because he feels he can trust her. She has not done anything to hurt him physically or emotionally.

"I remember." The young stallion says earnestly. He finds it hard to believe that Nayati's herd members do not remember her. To him she is unmistakable, both visually and audibly. He doesn't understand why Nayati would chose to come to a place like this when she feels lonely. He thinks that the serenity of it and the knowledge that it is a place for lovers would make him feel lonelier. That leads him to wondering if Nayati was waiting for someone. A lover of her own? If that is the case then he is intruding.

He wants to ask her if she is, in fact, waiting for someone, but she asks to move somewhere warmer and he takes this to mean that she is truly alone. Vadim nods his head, turns, and walks away from the water. As he reaches one of the many willow trees he turns to look at Nayati before his legs fold and he lowers himself with a quiet grunt to the ground. Vlasi scampers over to the quiet stallion and crawls onto his folded legs, her tail wags as she forces herself into a comfortable position on Vadim's legs. He nuzzles the young pup's back then lifts his blue eyes to Nayati before he touches his muzzle to the ground next to him, in a gesture for her to lay down.

"."

@[Nayati]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Outcast
N
A
Y
A
T
I

All her life, Nayati had shrouded herself in silence. She had been nearly mute, stumbling into the Threshold half-dead and bleeding out like a mockery of aesthetic beauty, of abstract art at the cost of her useless life. At least that would have been more beautiful, she often thought. Yet she had grown, found her niche, and through that budding confidence she had realized that she need not always be so silent. Even still, Vadim was a memory of what she used to be. Of course, they had their differences. Nayati had been close to mute out of shyness, a crippling self-doubt. Vadim, on the other side of the scale, was quiet out of stoicism from what she could gather. It was intriguing, to see a parallel to her, and yet warped to give a reverse image. Rathunax purred in her mind, clearly convinced this was further reason for them to be together, and Nayati internally rolled her eyes and sent him from her thoughts.

Vlasi's howling startles her, and she jerks away in a brief, aborted motion that sets her trinkets to music in her mane and tail. When she settles, she smiles to see the odd magical hound so happy. It makes her warm, even as her skin is chilled and her knees quiver with cold. Truly, she should not have been submerging herself in cold water when she was aware of her own terrible lung problems. Sincere words, few though they may be, flood into her listeners. Her heart positively melts, and her eyes grow embarrassingly moist as a tremulous smile grows to quiver on her lips like a dewdrop clinging to a leaftip. It is such a profound thing for her, to know that he sees her. She has lived her life as a ghost for so long that to be recognized, to be remembered, is almost beyond her wildest dreams.

"Thank you," she whispers, choked and emotional. Her pale lashes sweep and kiss her cheeks as she looks down, not wanting to embarrass herself in front of one of the few friends she had. He is clearly not one for emotional moments, and she does not want to make him feel uncomfortable, so she conceals herself away until is nothing but a little box. Hides away all those feelings of gratitude and relief until she can face him once more.

He moves away from her, and at first she fears she has scared him away, but he looks back at her and there is a clear gesture that brings her wobbling to his side on steadily numbing legs. He gestures beside him and she flushes with an intangible heat, suddenly shy and uncertain. "I-I wouldn't want to make you cold," she murmurs as she lowers herself down next to him, careful not to touch him and spread the wetness and cold to him. Her lungs are constricting unhappily, a reminder of her weakness, the weakness she'd been born with. She seizes and her cough is hoarse and sickeningly wet, blood coming to her lips in a foul, familiar taste of iron. She quickly wipes her maw against the grass, swallowing harshly before giving a closed-lip smile towards Vadim. Best not show her teeth, they were likely already stained. "Frostfall mating curse," she says with a bitter amusement, wishing she had the power to hate her parents.

She falls to silence, and she realizes with a sudden horror that she doesn't know what to say, and prays it will not turn awkward and force him away from her with her hanging silence.

Image Credit

Vadim

look right through me
                                                                     look right through me

He lays and he waits for Nayati to join him and is confused when she finally does lay down. He wonders why she is so far away even though she has said that she doesn't want to make him cold. To him it makes no sense that she would not try to benefit from his and Vlasi's body heat. "Closer." He grunts, but as he speaks Nayati's body is wracked with coughs and it makes the young stallion frown. "Fire." He says pointedly as he looks at the dragon. He assumes that the dragon can breathe fire even though he knows that some of them have different abilities.

"Frostfall mating curse."

Her words make his ears tilt forward and he listens, expecting her to say something else and frowning again when she does not. He cannot see the blood that is in her mouth, but he can smell it and it makes him grow more concerned, more worried. Vadim shifts his body, and dislodges Vlasi from her resting spot as he does so. Gradually he shifts his body closer until he can feel Nayati pressed against him and he reaches to drape his neck across her back. He can feel her shivering and it worries him more. "Vlasi, help me warm her." He asks the pup who responds by laying against Nayati's other side, stretching out as far as her body will allow her.

"Warm?" He asks, hoping that she will tell him that it is working even though its only been a few seconds.

"."

@[Nayati]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Outcast
N
A
Y
A
T
I

Quiet though he is, undoubtedly, Vadim is also surprisingly stubborn. Gratitude is more of a warmth than anything else as she complies to his singularly worded demand, shuffling closer until her icy skin is touching his own warm canvas. It spreads slowly, tingling with reawakened nerves where they are connected. Her heart is suspiciously fast, breathing even more so, to be so close to him. She chides herself internally, for daring to feel anything aside from platonic friendship for one of the few companions she had. Should she chase him away because of her loneliness forming into greed, she would never forgive herself.

Luckily, he distracts her from her mental disarray by saying one more terse word, gesturing towards a worried Rathunax. Chirping quietly he lifted and began to search out a variety of dry sticks, clutching them in his claws much as he had when Hemlock had been born. Oh, how Nayati missed Alysanne and her lovely Hemlock sometimes. They, too, had never bothered to seek her out anymore in the Edge. Forgotten once more, a mere memory if they cared to recall. As she mused on this, a small pile had grown in front of their touching knees, and Rathunax let electricity crackle along his teeth before hurling it at the sticks. Much like a forest fire created from lightning, the sticks caught almost immediately, turning to tinder and burning cheerily. Sighing softly she sagged against Vadim, enjoying the warmth that encased her firmly from two sides.

A soft gasp escaped her bloodied mouth as he lifted to rest himself upon her skin, the arch of his neck solid and warm across her shoulders. Turning her head she tentatively nuzzled his cheek, a silent gesture of thankfulness. Vadim did not seem the type to indulge in physical affection, and she glowed from within to know he had done so with her. She stubbornly decided not to dwell on the fact that she was freezing, and it wasn't exactly an affectionate display. Vlasi comes to her side as well, stretching out, and Nayati's heart pulsed with a sudden, dizzying rush of love for the pair. Rathunax cooed and draped his wings over her hips, and the three blanketed her in warmth and friendship. Nayati hid her tears, feeling so full of emotion she might come apart at the seams. She did not deserve their kindness, their selflessness, and yet she reveled in it.

Time seemed to slip away from Nayati, until she was cocooned in a happy warmth, skin buzzing with renewed feeling where she had gone numb in the water. It had been mere moments but she was just one, admittedly small, mare. Their warmth was powerful, pervasive. In return, it seemed, her magic had flowers sprouting up enthusiastically, practically right under their noses until they were encompassed in a circular field of the colorful sprouts. Again he spoke, close to her ears, and she smiled and nudged her neck against him as if assuring him she was okay.

"Yes. Thank you, Vadim." It is as firm as her soft nature could allow, but her love and affection seemed to glow in every syllable. There was no mistaking her gratitude, the companionship she felt with him and his funny little companion. She could not be more blessed. As time wore on, liquid and loose as if meaningless, she hummed softly to capture his attention from the silence that had settled comfortably between them.

"Do you ever get lonely out here, Vadim?" She wouldn't be presumptuous, but a part of her wished he'd come back to the Edge with her. He was one of her only friends, and certainly her best friend despite how little he spoke and how mysterious he always seemed to be. She wondered if that's what it meant to be selfish.

Image Credit

Vadim

look right through me
                                                                     look right through me

His ears are strained forward and he hears Nayati's gasp as he rests his neck across her back and for a moment he wonders if he's done wrong. He wonders if he should lift his head from her back, but when he feels her muzzle against his cheek he thinks that it is okay. He can leave his neck draped across her back, he can keep offering her as much bodyheat as he can to warm her. His request for fire is met by Rathaunax and he watches as the dragon gathers tinder. He expects the dragon to breath a plume of fire to get the small campfire going and is surprised when the dragon uses electricity, instead. He finds it strange, but he can admit that it is nowhere near as strange as Vlasi.

He listens for her answer after he asks if she's warm and he is pleased when she says that she is. Had her answer been 'no' he would have gone to work trying to figure out another way to bring her temperature up. He is, by no means, a healer but from seasons of living by himself he knows the danger the cold poses. He has seen animals unprepared for the harshness of Frostfall fall victim to frostbite and hypothermia. It is not a fate he wishes to befall Nayati. His ears fall sideways as he begins to notice the flowers blooming around them. It makes him lift his head and he stares at them, confused about why they were growing in the middle of the winter. Nayati does not seem perturbed by the sudden growth of flowers so he rests his neck across her back once more, his sides heaving as he sighs in contentment.

"Do you ever get lonely out here, Vadim?"

The question catches Vadim by surprise and he remains quiet, though he is uncomfortable. Vlasi picks up on his discomfort and she lifts her heads, whining as she peers at him. As far back as he can remember, loneliness has been a part of his life. Even when he had his brother by his side there was still a hint of loneliness gnawing at him because Varath was never truly a companion. They were never truly equals. With Vlasi the loneliness that he had felt is lessened, but it is still there. He is loathe to admit it and so he frowns and wonders what he should say to Nayati. The truth? What she wants to hear? Vlasi chuffs and lowers her heads. "Sometimes." He finally answers.

"."

@[Nayati]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Outcast
N
A
Y
A
T
I

Silence envelops her, comfortable and reassuring. Vadim is more enraptured by Rathunax's abilities than anything else, and she had to admit she too was awed as always by the capabilities her bonded had. Though smug, Rathunax was well aware of the dangers the quartet were facing, and it was hardly a time for play and pride. Though his heart swells to see Nayati so calm, so far away from her normal fears and anxieties. He gazes upon them and sees the change Vadim inspires in her, the confidence he lends to her. He hardens the earth beneath her hooves, gives her a hand to hold and a shoulder for support. Rathunax looks between them and he sees how she flourishes in his hold, her smiles free and unrestrained, her heart released from the burdens she carried. And yet she didn't seem to notice at all. Nayati glanced up from where her cheek had brushed Vadim's in reassurance, confused by the warmth emanating from him, but he merely brushed her away with a sudden overwhelming surge of love. Floundering, Nayati allowed it.

The tension she feels suddenly tighten his body makes her insides wail in despair. She feels as if she's ruined it all, the bliss she'd experienced for those long moments held in his grasp. She'd finally found peace, perhaps something even better. Nearly perfect, and she had ruined it with her stupid mouth, not content with a good thing while it lasted. She wants to reverse time, shove the words back into her big, stupid mouth, and yet she can't. Instead she suffers beneath the sudden intensity of the silence, and Vlasi's worried whine only drives the stake deeper into her heart. Oh gods, what had she done?

Common to Vadim's nature, he responded with a single word. Nayati turned and tentatively brushed her muzzle into the curve of his jaw, trying to convey how plainly sorry she was. "I'm so sorry," she whispered against his skin. "I didn't think. Please forgive me, I shouldn't have asked," her lips trembled with sorrow against his jaw, feeling ashamed by her probing. How could she have been so blind? If anyone had asked her before she'd joined the Edge, even prior to, she would have reacted the exact same way. She could not stand the thought of him withdrawing from her, physically or emotionally.

Image Credit