the Rift

[OPEN] Air Orchid

Fig Posts: 57
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 5.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 :: 20 HP: 56 | Buff: NOVICE
Beluga :: Common Beluga Leviathan :: Bubble Trap Adoptable
A harsh, icy wind howled down from the snow-laced mountains to the north, and still worse, every surface her glistening green eyes scurried across seemed well blanketed in cold wet, white winter. The maturing, sturdy ficus nestled comfortably against the curve of her spine shivered and her leaves shook violently as the bitter gust rushed by. Give us strength Nepenthes, Fig mumbled softly in prayer, Corocottas, please light our path... The now fully grown Lignea knew little of the gods of this crude, selfish land, and turned instead to those who had blessed this new journey, and so too the one which had delivered her to the alien shores of Helovia once before.

They tracked south from the Threshold this time, not lingering for long where the haggard old pines and snow-laden oaks groaned dismally beneath the weight of their curse. Fig wished not to tempt such an ill fate upon her or the body plant above after all and her cumbersome pace hastened the best it could. Swivelling ears searched in vain for the reassuring warble of the native birds present the last time they had crossed through these parts, but there was no sound to rise above the morose whine, no murmur of the wild wonderland which had offered her pounding heart hope in times gone by. Eerie... she thought quietly to herself, swarthy coat trembling beneath the heavy drape of her body plant’s root-curtain. But perhaps it was best for the safety of their precious foliage.

It was still early in the morning, and a weak yellow sun had slipped above the far eastern horizon. It was the time of day most of her kind, the Lignea, were particularly active – celebrating the gift of first light, soaking up the mild warmth and photosynthesising in general. The ancient, peaceful race grazed not like the careless creatures of this world; there was a harmonious balance between themselves and all of nature, all that had been set to exist and breath upon the shifting sands of the earth by their side. Fig drew energy from the sun, of course, and from sweet restorative waters that did not themself breathe; but there was no scent of the latter to attract their delay. Between the straggly old trees before the drop into the meadow, shafts of light did seep, and the young Lignea felt the touch of the winter sun bless her glossy rump.

Before descending into the vast, treeless pasture that she only very vaguely remembered, they paused and her gentle eyes broadened as a shadow drew their interest. “What is this?” Her voice was deep, slow, ethereal; a far cry from the nervous pitch so typical amongst the juveniles of her magical species. Ahead of them, still a very long way away, there was hovering a smear of black in the sky, and Fig couldn’t remember seeing it there before. She turned her face east into the brightening sunlight and was certain that World’s Edge - where she had followed the ignorant, but rather sweet mushroom killer to, lay nestled in a grove of mist strewn trees there. The creature had a sound sense of direction. “That shadow, it is new...” she suggested confidently, curiously, tilting her large equine head thoughtfully and glancing back to the rather candid addition to the Helovian skyline.

Glossy green leaves trembled as her heartbeat quickened, and the aggressive wind swept down from the rear.

The thought to return to the safety of the Edge did for a moment cross Fig’s mind. Prim'sylva had been much the same for hundreds, if not thousands of years – life was slow, comfortable and change was as rare as the nonexistent conflict between the many breeds of the Lignea. It would never have occurred to her that the appearance of the island they now pursued had been accompanied by a great upheaval in this strange world, darkness, death and the realigning of allegiances. Perhaps it was a fine thing that they had been distracted from that course for the time being and the inevitable confusion delayed. As it were, the island unsettled her more than adequately.

By evening the heavy Lignea had reached the unfamiliar bridge to the Veins. Her legs were weary, trembling and sore, for journeys were seldom taken by her kind and in the last little while (years in fact) they had travelled vast distances. Though the reason for her return never strayed far from her thoughts, Fig could not resist the urge to explore. It was an island that grew before her, a floating bank of earth that absolutely boggled all sense of reason. She gazed imploringly at it with her chin strained into the air, and her tender, sweet expression seemed puzzled. Well I never... she mused as the light began to dim, and though she hesitated for a long while to draw closer, Fig found her stiff root-shrouded legs pulling forward. Suddenly too, a strange mist had amassed by her hooves. Unnatural cloud – she thought with sudden concern – and she groaned fearfully as she began to rise into the air.

“Oh no!” She cried out, knees straining to bear the weight of her top-heavy body, and soon (very gradually and carefully), they were gliding ever higher towards the great body of airborne land. There was no pleasure to be found in the trip, the young creature found no rest or joy in the phenomenon – she was as much a part of the land as grass and trees, and to fly from earth’s sanctuary was most disconcerting. When at last the surreal tufts had released her, carried her to a rolling field of green and dissolved, Fig dared not move. Her bearings were all but lost, and the body plant with its sprawling lush canopy above shivered. Where was the snow? Cautious eyes roamed down through a valley which seemed not too far away, and she was startled to find a hive of activity – so different to the near empty landscape below.

She lingered in place for a long while, well into the cold evening.

(Any, @[Resplendence])
Plots | Absences | Wishlist
Please tag me in openers and spars
Permission for all except death 
(no need to ask)

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She had been drug up by the clouds. Panic taking over each of her limbs. "NO! No! I don't want to die yet! I can't! I didn't get to say goodbye!" she whimpers and pleads, firmly believing that her body was being dragged to the heavens and far away from her family. She hadn't done well enough so they decided it was time for her to die.

Her sleep-deprived mind had forgotten that she had gone through this once before, and as she landed on the island vague points of recognition settled in the corners of her mind. Shuffling limbs began to carry her toward the cove of cherry blossoms. Valiance loomed ahead, watching for any dangers which might come to her, and when satisfied with the outcome he allowed for Resplendence to collapse in a pile of pink and white petals. "You. Safe. Sleep." He commanded, and her tired body instantly pulled her into some kind of sleep as her mind drifted off into its own little world of horrors.

Once more, she jerked awake to the sight of dead family members strewn around her. She couldn't save them, and she was the reason they were gone. Stumbling to her feet, sleepy eyes began to pull her back out across the area of the island. She would walk until she could find somewhere to settle - somewhere that the nightmares wouldn't come back for.

However, what she found was far from a nightmare, and far from a dream. She recalled having met this mare once before, the mare with a Fig tree upon her back. What was her name? Oh, she didn't know. It was too tiring for her to try and search through those memories. She wasn't able to deal with all of this just yet. So, instead, she inched in closer and closer before giving a gentle cough of warning. "Miss," she murmurs once she reaches her side. Then, she blinks, looking up to her, and tilting her cranium to the side a little. "Have we met before? Along the borders of the Edge?" she inquires, gentle eyes showing a small amount of the pain that had overwhelmed her soul, but otherwise doing a good job at attempting to mask it. And, for once, she wasn't trembling in her boots - probably because her mind was too exhausted to even start toward that level of anxiety.

Had she found a family member again? Another Edge member finally returning from the darkness?

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

It felt nice enough to be able to view them from afar, safely, and even as the chill of evening set in, casting the commotion below in the heavy shade of night, Fig maintained her comfortable distance. Strange lights were soon stirred to life throughout the village and the activity never ceased. Many continued to spill down from the misty, cloudy rim of the island not far from where she too had been delivered, but they paid Fig little heed, perhaps even mistaking her for a natural feature of the beautifully decorated landscape; perhaps just not interested in anything that may deviate them off course.

The Lignea were a simplistic, selfless race who sought only to maintain the equilibrium of life. Fig knew nothing of greed or envy, and she certainly had never before experienced the weight of the loneliness that seemed to settle so suddenly upon her as the world moved obliviously below. She was not like them, was not one of them, and though she was content to watch well apart from their activity, she missed the serene companionship of her Arborun family- the tree kin. With quiet, humble eyes the young Lignea began to look around her. Her vision in these darkened hours was not the greatest, and she could barely make out the rough silhouettes of the cherry blossoms on a rival slope – they could just as easily have been gathered souls of this land with twisted, perverted branches growing from their skulls, or bird’s wing lifted towards the sliver of pale moon.

Either way, she had not yet spent enough time on the island to feel so confident that she might seek discover the truth, and she settled her unusual weight equally across steady, large, hair shrouded hooves.

A small time later there was a small cough from behind her, a sound that startled the unsuspecting creature enough that she turned her cumbersome frame to meet the arriving mare. Fig’s horse-like ears swivelled with curiosity and her large gentle eyes welcomed forward the familiar face – pale, pretty and unusual like the Lignea herself. True to her kind, the young creature held close memories and experiences, she did not easily forget, and Resplendence came now as a blessing, just like when they had met originally. Tenderly Fig smiled, reaching kindly to dot the other’s hide with her much larger, fuzzy nose. “Why yes...” she answered slowly, as was the habit of her kind’s tongue, “I am Fig, the one called Kahlua introduced us.” To the young Lignea that occasion felt like only yesterday. She recalled easily the glass wall, shimmering as it towered well clear of even Fig’s body plant and the shadows from which this fair-haired equine had slithered.

“It is nice to see you again, friend,” she drawled sincerely, a grin rising still further through her expression. Fig could not see the discontent burning behind the mare’s eyes of bright gold. Apparently the dimness of the early night masked it well.
(no need to ask)

Resplendence

Valiance shuffled his wings, perching precariously a top Res' poll, easily hiding the missing ear with the way that he is sitting. The sleep deprived mare cared little, though, as to what it was her companion did at the moment and for that she could feel a little tinge of joy trickle through their bond.

There was a small quip from him, though, as the mare reached out to press her soft nose against Res' hide and the sound of his clicking could be heard a loud by both Fig and Res. Alas, the actual words intended were only understood through the bond, "Better be you friend? Me hurt if no" he seemed to hiss, getting better every day with his words even if the actual mannerism of his speech was completely dysfunctional. She simply reached out, offering the same bump to the hide which Fig had before shuffling her weight a little and moving in a little closer to the mare who recognized them.

It is with Kahlua's name that the memories vaguely come back, though she is unsure if it was just a dream or actual fact with what she remembered. "That's right! Resplendence," she said, allowing a gentle grin to curl the corners of her maw. "It is nice to know you are alright. So many... dark things have happened as of late I was worried that those whom we had not stumbled upon had not been able to make it through..." she shuddered, eyes closing in pain of the thought.

The ache in her heart continued to spread forth as she attempted to shake it off before allowing a few more words to trickle forth. "How have you been? Are you coming back to the Edge? Or have you found a new place to settle?" All of them questions she hoped would be easy for the mare to answer without putting Fig on the spot. But, with Res' lack of social interaction lately a mistake could have easily been made. Oh, how she wished it was easier for her to do this... this social thing. And it had only gotten worse with the growing anxiety.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Ridiculously, she had not very quickly noticed the winged serpent resting upon the paler mare’s crown. It was not unusual for the Lignea to share bonds with the smaller creatures of Prim’sylva, to live closely and intimately with animals so that a natural symmetry could be better maintained between all living things.

His presence did not frighten her but she was drawn to the shimmer of his scarlet body beneath the pale breath of moonlight, the soft star-glitter. The reptiles she was accustomed to were far plainer in appearance and dwelt mainly in the canopies of lush forests or hidden away in rock crevices – snakes, skinks and occasionally a mixture of both! Fig could not recall Kahlua’s friend having such company the last time they had spoken. Nevertheless, she offered the animal a smile as she neared to brush his mount, listening with turning ears to the clicks spoken; though not in any way understanding their meaning.

The familiar mare returned the fond gesture, bumping her own velvet nose against the thick unkempt shoulder of the tree-girl and inched nearer so that they were standing like old friends – Fig accepted the gesture gratefully.

Resplendence! The name fell upon her like a trillion moth wings all stirring to life, tickling her memory and rousing a light giggle to slip between curling lips. The smile did not last though as her friend’s voice seemed to sober suddenly, concern and pain glancing through her expression. “Dark things?” Fig questioned immediately, stepping still closer to pull free an old dead leaf from Resplendence’s long, beautiful mane. “Whatever do you mean?” Emerald eyes danced about them for a moment, and aside from the suspended land supporting them, all seemed quite merry. She was pure, untainted, and probably would never have been able to imagine the terror’s haunting the other mare’s thoughts.

“I have been safe (she assured quickly), well and safe. I am sorry I left without word. I was summoned back to Prim’sylva by the Arborun elders. My mother grows tired watching over my father you see, they are many hundreds of years old and I fear I might not see them again.” Fig's father, Fig, in many ways had already parted from the life they shared - he existed only in his wilting soul tree. In truth the young, loyal Lignea had spent barely a week with her family, but the journey from Helovia and back again had taken her many, many months - she was far heavier now than the sapling she had been when she had very first arrived. As she explained the reason for her absence slowly as was the nature of her native tongue, Fig’s brow furrowed and the wind-brushed leaves flickering above seemed to grow restless.

“I know no place more comfortable than your home,” she soothed kindly, letting calm choke the concern from her expression. Perhaps when she found enough courage to fall back onto the clouds that had carried her to this island, Fig would venture back into the north to find Kahlua again also. “Tell me though Resplendence, what is ailing your mind so?” Regarding the small dragon warmly, she reached again to nuzzle the mare’s soft breast.
(no need to ask)

Resplendence

Res pulled in closer, even more afraid than before as the memories of the darkness pressed in closer and closer. Nothing was safe. Nothing had been sacred. "It was horrible, Fig. Horrid. These creatures... these things... they infected family and friends, even random acquaintances. It wasn't safe... This darkness took over the lands. It ate away at the things we used to have and it pushed us all underground. Some didn't make it to the caves in time... others tried to go back out to find those. Some still aren't here..." she chokes out, allowing Fig to preen her long tendrils of mane.

But it was all she could have asked for, to know that Fig had been safe. She had gone home. She had gone home to see her family. Oh, how she wished she could go home and see her kids again... but they were gone. They were dead. Cautiously, Res presses up against Fig's side and Valiance moved to rest against Fig's withers in a calming embrace. It was good, though, that Fig would be returning to the Edge. At least more of her family was coming home - that was all she could ask for.

Alas, the mare seemed to notice that Res was being ailed by more than just the darkness. With Fig's muzzle pressing against her breast in a comforting manner, the mare let out a shuddering breath and took what little strength she had left to let out the words. "I've been having nightmares... nightmares of all my loved ones having gruesome deaths... and me being unable to save them..." She gulps, eyes closing. "I can't sleep... all I want to do is sleep without waking up and thinking I'm completely alone..."

Was it too much to ask? She assumed so....

When I'm ready to fall
With love

The sprawling green canopy which rode above the back of the tree-girl offered a small amount of dappled shade as the pair spoke at length in company of the shimmery-red dragon.

Though tired from the journey both outside of Helovia, and through, the warm sunlight was absorbed by the ravenous leaves and her energy level remained fairly stable – only when the moon’s cold face assumed the sun’s throne would Fig know the truth of her fatigue and be forced to rest. Soft cherry blossom petals torn by the persistent wind from their trees, fluttered playfully, hopelessly, through the air around them while the young Lignea listened intently to the harrowing account of the most recent events. To say that the story was awful would have been a grand understatement. Fig trembled unhappily at the thought of such destruction – it was like nothing her innocent mind could have fathomed.

The cold brush of winter seemed suddenly to penetrate the cloak of thick roots draped all about her, and Fig felt the other mare’s sadness as though she too had watched the world decay. She dared not ask the cause, the reason... She wasn’t sure if she wanted to know. Warily she glanced around them though there seemed to be no trace of the woes described upon the floating island – perhaps they were safe.

Resplendence shivered beneath the touch of the tree-girl, but she didn’t withdraw. Warm breath rattled delicately, tenderly, as she sighed. Fig was still a sapling, too young to bear fruit still like those of her mother and father. She knew though that their healing properties would offer clarity to her friend’s sickened mind though – they would dull the pain, and silence the nightmares (if only for a short time). Sadly and helplessly she mused, but there seemed to be no way right now for her to help. The kind-hearted Lignea knew not of the painful price she would pay for giving such a gift either. “Should I have been any older, the fruits of my family would ease your troubled mind,” she explained softly and caringly, lifting her face from pale flesh to view the soft, rippling foliage above.

As her thoughtful gaze lowered once more, Fig noticed the glint of the locket resting across the chest of the downhearted mare (nuzzling lips had noticed it before, but she had been quickly distracted). Quickly her shining eyes rediscovered it. “Your locket.... it is a treasure kept close to your heart,” she suggested with a warm smile - perhaps hoping that it would divert Resplendence’s concentration to something more constructive. “Do you mind if I ask about the secret it holds?”
(no need to ask)

Resplendence

Perhaps if she had been raised differently this pain wouldn't affect her so. But, she couldn't change this now. Her one ear flickered, at the sound of Fig's voice. "The Gods have been said to help those here. I think I'm beyond even their assistance..." she said, a weak smile on her face before she watched the way the larger mare looked up at the foliage upon her back.

Gazes met again and Res allowed a gentle sigh, "Don't worry too much about me. No one can fix me," a small pause, "I've accepted it... most of the time." Her limbs seem to shift a little, as if in the sense of a shrug before the tree-mare spoke once more. This time, it was about her locket. Gold eyes glimmered with a small sense of hope, nose lowering to press against the gold metal. Warm breath leaving a gentle fog across it as she raised her cranium to speak - to answer the question which had been laid before her.

"Quilyan gave it to me... not long after the invasion of the Edge. It's been a while now, maybe a good year? He has a key that heats up when I'm in danger... or when the lock holder is in danger. It was his way of reminding me that I wouldn't ever be alone." a gentle smile curves at her lips. "His way of giving me strength... and it's worked, for the most part.." her voice begins to die off, golden eyes careening around. "But I haven't seen him in a while... and it worries me. I have no way of knowing if he's in danger..." From Fig's tree-base Valiance lets out a few gentle chirps, Quil. Safe.

But where was her knight?

When I'm ready to fall
With love

A wave of sadness consumed the gentle-hearted Lignea when Resplendence revealed so candidly the helpless sorrow in her heart. The pale mare sighed softly, and Fig’s tender green gaze caressed delicate golden pools compassionately as they seemed to dull with resignation; to vanish beneath a filmy, distant glaze into a world of grief, gloom and pain. The shaggy, simple tree-girl knew nothing of tribulations of the heart or mental wounds that could haunt far into an unforgiving future. The bitter suffering which seemed to possess her friend was difficult to both comprehend and accept – the latter Fig just could not.

Presently she chose not to voice the idea forming in her mind about the ill-mind. There was more for her to discover first, an unexpected deviation from the path she had so blindly been following in a journey already overwhelming and confusing. She knew though, that poor Resplendence would one day feel a tranquillity she had perhaps never known – one that Fig’s life had always been blessed with - even if only for a very brief time. She was intrigued by the mention of Helovian Gods, perhaps Nepenthes of the Plants and Corocottas of the Animals; though it seemed unlikely given the widespread disrespect the inhabitants of this land held for their natural world, and each other.

Quietly she listened as her friend spoke about the pendant nestled against the flesh by her heart. Large hairy black ears were tipped forward as Fig’s gaze followed Resplendence’s small, tapering mouth as it moved to brush the trinket, breath misting across the sleek golden face.

Quilyan...

Fig had never heard the name, and held her breath for a second as she delved far down into the recesses of her memory. “He gave you a beautiful gift.” She smiled thoughtfully, lifting her white blazed face to its natural elevation near to the height of her withers (beside which the red dragon was still perched across slim, smooth roots). Resplendence’s uncertain eyes began to dance through the pasture around them and the Lignea’s blowing nostrils sought to steady her quickly. Reaching to nuzzle comfortingly, she cooed, “Have you been searching for him here? Is that why you are so far away from home?” Fig still knew little about the earth they were resting upon there, suspended by naught but powdery clouds in the sky; she was unaware of the significance of its creation.

The sleek reptile murmured and the tree-girl’s ears shifted back curiously.
(no need to ask)

Resplendence

She's not quite sure anyone can understand this pain. In fact, she doubt this much pain could ever really be met. A panicked moment. A hurt heart. A broken mind. She was so used to it now the pain wasn't even so real anymore.

She tried to break free from the pain. She tried to understand it and figure out a new way to live her life. She was trying, oh how she was trying. She explained the gift that Quilyan had given her and Valiance curled up at the base of the tree's roots upon Fig's back.

It is the tree-mare's words which keep her attention from completely shattering into an abyss she couldn't handle. "That he did..." she whispered, before allowing her eyes to begin to search these lands. However, they were not allowed to stray for long. With a few clicks from Valiance and the other mare's muzzle nuzzling her she was forced to stay in the present. "In part, yes. I need to know that he's okay..." she said, gaze shifting back toward Fig. "I just... he's all I have that I know won't... won't disappear on me completely. He's the only stable thing left..." she closes her eyes for a few moments before feeling Valiance's annoyance seep through their bond.

Then, suddenly, the realization dawns on her. She had yet to introduce Valiance. "Oh, Fig. The red dragon upon your back's name is Valiance. He's my companion... my other half." A few chirps of joy were emitted from his mouth as he clambered to the Fig's poll and tried to perch upon it like a statue - one of his fore limbs stretched upwards, claws trying to hold onto a somewhat lower hanging branch above him.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

The only stable thing left?

A puzzled expression crossed shaggy young Lignea’s face as she gazed earnestly at her friend. The situation sounded dire indeed, and for the briefest of moments she wondered what perilous life had been cursed upon Resplendence. To worry the way she did, to suffer even during sleep seemed to horrid to bear and Fig felt immensely sorry – desperate to ease whatever burden she was able. As the pale dun mare’s lashes fastened then around her golden eyes, Fig made a silent, solemn pledge in the name of both Nepenthes of the Plants and Corocottas of the Animals, that she would be the second constant alongside Quilyan from now on. Her quest had been given and the path along which she was destined to follow had been laid – the young black tree-girl had no reason to be anywhere else.

She drew a breath, eager to comfort Resplendence with the revelation, but the mare with the luxurious curtain of silky hair began again suddenly, new vigour startling her voice. “Oh?” Fig gasped at once, curling her thick mane cloaked neck awkwardly to catch a quick glimpse of the scarlet creature. “It is a pleasure, Valiance...” she smiled, unsure whether he might understand her words or not. In Prim’sylva there was only a deeply sown understanding between the Lignea and the natural world; no native tongue with which they could all communicate civilly, and certainly the species did not mingle.

Curiously she turned back to her friend.

“I’m sorry, your companion?” she pondered. “I have never seen such close relations between two different types.” And it baffled her still more that an equine would be comfortable in the company of one who (if any larger), might devour her altogether. Still, Fig was not discourteous. She hummed thoughtfully as she considered how meagre her knowledge of this world really was. Magic, companions, wings and horns... Prim’sylva was really quite humble in comparison.
(no need to ask)

Resplendence

Sad things had surrounded her life. She was accustomed to it, though it seemed that her friend with a tree did not quite understand it. What could she have expected? A smile, a nod, maybe even a bump of maw against a shoulder? No. In fact, she expected nothing. Maybe a concerned expression or just plain out confusion. Yes, those were all logical explanations.

Still, she tried to soldier on. With Valiance prodding her to introduce him she had to soldier on. A gentle smile lifted her lips as she explained who he was. The draft mare saying that it was a pleasure as Valiance gave a few clicks of approval. Carefully, the dragon began to pull out strands of the thick mane he was situated on, claws beginning to dexterously braid the draft's dark hair as he did to calm Resplendence down. Secretly, Res believed that he did it to release the anxiety and stress that was bottled up between the two of them, and so that way he didn't go snapping at the birds that got into Res's space.

However, questions fell from the draft's lips, and so Res began to offer an answer. "Companions. I found him as an egg, raised him from birth. We... can feel each other's emotions through the bond. He can even speak back and forth with me - though I doubt anyone else would understand his speech." she muddles through her thoughts, pausing for a moment, "He's learning to breathe fire as well..."

There is another pause, a shuffle of her weight as Valiance continues to braid her mane all the way down toward Fig's withers. "He's become sort of a protector at the moment..." she finished before gentle eyes watched as he continued to braid, concentrating on the repetitive movements and the soothing emotions that he was sending through their bond.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Fig
The wind bustled by and it was cold, hinting of the fresh snow falling in dense curtains across the rolling landscape beneath their Sky Island. Cherry blossoms melted from rippling canopies around the two mares, petals waltzing adrift, playing to the hum of Frostfall’s song. Cool gaze traced their scarlet silhouettes thoughtfully, but the sudden caress of the dragon’s claws, the gentle tug and pull of her mane like never she had felt before, startled that focus. At first her skin seemed to stiffen as though stone, hard and wary – she had not been touched by any other, perhaps ever. Certainly it was not common culture among the Lignea to seek physical contact. There seemed to be no reason for it. But her bristling hide softened after a small time when neither pain nor discomfort seared her mind.

Resplendence was already part way through her explanation of Companions, a curious concept that didn’t particularly impress the heavy tree-girl. In Prim’sylva, eggs were the product of married birds or lusting ‘cold-bloodeds’, the yolk slick creatures within were raised by those parents alone or left to perish. That was the cycle of life after all, the perfect harmony of the world, and there was no reason to interfere. Though the thought of such a bond troubled her deeply... What of the other when it’s bonded passed? Memory of her mourning mother threatened her positive expression; and what of the wars of this corrupt land? Perhaps dragons were a bloodthirsty race, but how could any other creature live through such violence. Fig’s perspective was biased, based solely off her tranquil birthplace.

“Oh,” she responded softly, glancing back to the busy town nestled between rolling distant hills. The obsidian girl tried earnestly to hide her discontent. “Breathe fire? I suppose that would be useful in battle...” The winged reptile had by then braided enough of Fig’s thick, unkempt tresses for her to view his art, and her eye softened considerably as it passed over it. Pretty, she thought quietly and smiled. “I suppose a protector would be necessary here, in Helovia. In Prim’Sylva, there are no threats, no reason for defence.” She rolled her shoulders a little, as Valiance moved with remarkable skill to a new position upon her – perhaps to better his access. “Resplendence?” she asked when only the soft whisper of wind graced her wavering ears again. “What is this island? Surely I would have seen it’s looming shadow if it were here when we met last in the Edge.”

Image Credit
(no need to ask)