Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Kaj

comets fell from the sky
I took your breath, you took my sorrow

Drip...drip...drip...

The winter clock ticked onward. The forest fell to silent murmurs as his flock dispersed, leaving the King upon his throne beneath the creaking boughs and frozen branches. But he is not alone, for at his side the warmth emanates from his Queen, and he turns to regard her profile for a few long moments. They've had little time to talk alone, with the threat of this new darkness hanging around their heads. Soft words whisper into his ears from a prior season as his pale blues caress the lines he has long since memorized. "Does she bring joy to your life? Do you look forward to seeing her everyday? When you part do you miss her? Do you feel like a part of yourself is gone? Do you often imagine a future with her? Do you think about children?" Let it be said that Evangeline knew his heart and mind perhaps better than Kaj did. No, surely better than Kaj, for he was hopelessly lost on this path of love and desire.

And then from the past came her chilling answers to a question he could scarcely forget. "From your answers ... I don't think you're in love with her." Had he stopped to miss her in the time they'd been apart? Kaj could remember so vividly a time when she had been his entire world, when he longed to see her effervescent smile and hear the chime of her laughter. Did she even laugh anymore? He was ashamed to realize he did not know, the time had been so lengthy since they had met for anything aside business. Her face had wisened and grown with the duties she had bravely taken astride her shoulders. Kaj had doubted her in the past, her abilities to be a successful leader. He'd been proven wrong, again as Evangeline had predicted.

And there she was, the ever present maiden in his mind. Was he relying too heavily upon her? Was it something else?

The king angled himself to reach out and gently touch his lips to the soft spot behind Kahlua's jaw. Her scent was as sweet as he recalled, but it had been long since he'd last indulged in it. Pulling away, fearing that her feelings too had changed over time, Kaj kept his touch brief. Even still he could not pull his eyes from her. When had he blinked, only to find her so drastically changed?

"Kahlua?" he murmured, only to find himself without words. Recalling her confession of love while he stood bleeding in a bubbling spring, only to learn that she saw him merely as a heart in the form of a prison. Did she even still love him?

Was he even deserving of it?

@[Kahlua]

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

k a h l u a

The queen watched as the herd left, friends that she had hurt and friends that she had raised, friends that were following her and their king bravely into the unknown. She was no leader; perhaps the rest of her flock knew it as well as she knew it, and yet they followed her. Did that mean they were stupid, or did that mean they thought Kaj was capable of taking on the responsibilities of both positions? Did it mean something else entirely? Kahlua did not know. She did not know anything, except that as she stood here on the throne she felt… heavy.

She does not turn to watch him watch her. Instead, her blue eyes stare into the distance, eagerly taking in the forest, and then tilting to the east, straining to catch sight of the wall that she had built… the wall that kept her trapped here. Except that there had been a moment where she had tasted freedom- the Island had been something grand and beautiful, something unexplored and unexpected, something mysterious and amazing, a place to meet friends and know family. Except even that beautiful place had grown to be something monstrous and ugly to her- another place where evil reigned and responsibility took hold. Was this the life she had clawed and tried so desperately for? Why, then, was it nothing she had imagined.

It was funny, how her conversations about love had so eerily mirrored those of Kaj. Everybody’s ideas of love forced upon her- Does he make your heart lighter? If you love him you won’t fear him. Love makes the world brighter, your burdens lighter. Was that really love, or was that everyone else’s idea of love? And if it was love, why did her idea of love have to be the same as everyone else’s? She hated this. She hated standing here and not knowing how to work these problems out for herself, she hated that think and think though she might try, she could never really figure out what she was supposed to know. She hated that life was stealing so much of her.

Would she soon become a shadow with no resemblance to herself?

She was drawn from her hopeless musings by the touch of her king, a soft nose against her jaw line, and she slowly melted towards him. That touch… she felt safe. Why had nobody told her that love felt safe? Because that was how she felt now. Why had nobody told her that love felt like home? Because that was where she was now. Were those things just not part of love? Were those things part of something else that nobody had told her about? “I don’t know what I want out of life,” was her response, though, avoiding those questions that plagued her. “What do you want?” And finally she turned her sad blue eyes to him. Why did being around him always make her sad? Everything was confusing.

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes

Image Credits :: Table by Time

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Kaj

comets fell from the sky

Her silence was unorthodox, foreign to the quiet behemoth at her side. She was supposed to be sunlight and spring water, a prism of delight and a euphoria for life and the love she held for it. Though with the darkness consuming the world she'd attempted to flee so long ago, Kaj supposed even the Sunshower could not drown out the dreary clouds. Though he assumes that she can feel his eyes on her, there is no indication that she intends to turn and face him, but he has more than enough on his mind himself to occupy the time he awaits for her to confront him. It does not come, no matter how many times he traces the familiar caverns of color in her distant eyes, seeing something he cannot envision nor comprehend. Her mind had always been to sporadic, too colorful and imaginative for someone as simple-minded as him to understand. Seeking her attention, he leans for her, and she melts into his touch like the icicles he'd previously been contemplating.

It's almost endearing, how she so easily recognizes and surrenders to him, but it also casts a warm glow in his chest to know that she trusts him enough to let go so easily. Then again, he was perhaps overestimating that, as Kahlua was quick to trust and already an open book. Seeing her response to the single touch, Kaj stepped closer, automatically lifting his wing to drape comfortably over her spine. Tugging her closer as gently as he could, allowing her the time and strength to pull away and deny him. Though he hoped that would not be the case, so long had it been since he'd last held her so close.

Her azures are bright and all-consuming in his field of vision as she turns to him, but the words are what captivates him most. Kahlua was not one for philosophical musings, she was simplistic and happy. Perhaps she, too, had been spending too many hours alongside Evangeline? Kaj hid a smile at the thought. Instead, he focused on the sadness that clung like sap to every plane of her pretty face, frowning himself to see her so distraught. Defeated was perhaps a better word, for she seemed hollow, like she'd lost something vital that had made her shine so brightly and given her title meaning.

Brushing his lips to the flat plane of her forehead, Kaj hummed in thoughtfulness, turning to stare into the distance as if they had exchanged roles. "I want...meaning. I want to be more than a single blip in a galaxy of existence, to leave something to be remembered by. Foals, friends, actions...I want to have a purpose." Deep voice rumbled in complete candidness, slowly turning to gaze upon her once more. "Perhaps you should start small. Seek joy, seek peace. It is not a requirement, nor is there a deadline for your decision." If Kaj could lift even one burden from her shoulders, he would not hesitate.

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

k a h l u a

Perhaps the reason that being around him made her sad was that somewhere, deep within the mysterious maze that made up her foolish mind, was that she had an inkling that what she wanted to be was not right. That this love that she thought she had could never be more than the love she thought it was. Perhaps it was that the one thing she really wanted was the one thing that was out of her reach, out of her ability to control. Or maybe it was the gods themselves trying to speak to her- for sure sorely believed in the power of the gods. She had not known them in Avalon, but that did not change her love of them once she had realized they existed.

His wing over her back was familiar, finally drawing a smile to her otherwise forlorn face. The way the feathers brushed against her skin, the way his appendage draped over her just perfectly, like it was meant for her to be hear. She surrendered to his will, pressing against his side, his warmth fueling her. From above, in the trees, her little blue watched the interaction and wondered at it. The feelings he felt from his bonded were like nothing he had known her to experience and he did not know how to help her through this. So he just watched, wondering if his wings would draw the same reaction from the painted woman.

At least he had an answer for her- and surely his answer would be the answer. He was so smart, so hard-working. He knew the answer to every question she had ever asked him, even when she had not known how to ask it. He was Plato, she naught but some twisted version of comic relief like King Lear’s fool. And, like always, she hung on every word. Meaning, existence, remembrance, foals-. Her ears twitched, falling back, and she couldn’t help but lighten the amount of pressure she had placed on his side. Her mind went wild, thoughts whirling, images playing through her head too fast to comprehend but too slow to save her from their horrors.

Had she even given thought to such things, or had the idea of loving her king been so intoxicating that she had forgotten to delve into the deeper meaning. To Kaj love meant children and family. She hadn’t even considered it.

At some point, she realized that he had finished speaking, that it was her turn to respond, to give voice to the emotions within her. But what was there to say? She felt that familiar feeling of terror clawing up her bones. She had been ready to tell him she knew- she knew that she loved him, that she could love him without fear, she could love him without crying at the notion. It was not everyone else’s idea of love, but it was hers. But now? Now she did not know what she was supposed to say. How could she ever explain to him that foals were worse than love, that should could not bring a foal into this earth because she could not be bound by such atrocities? How could she beg him to love her and then never give him what he had just named one of his greatest desires- fatherhood.

She couldn’t.

So, for perhaps the first time in her entire life, Kahlua did something that could almost be considered selfless. She wasn’t even surprised that this meant another heartbreak. That was life, it seemed- moments of absolute glee followed by moments of shattered dreams and vivid nightmares. “I’m sorry I asked you to love me,” she lied, though perhaps not very well- she had never been good at it. Her eyes fell to the floor and she pawed at the dirt slowly, watching the way her hoof traced a line into the ground, almost dividing her from Kaj. It was an accident, and yet… it seemed so solid.

She shifted out from under his wing, drawing away so that she could make her words seem more real to herself, if not to him. “I was scared that day, after… after Aurelia,” she continued, her words dropping to naught but a whisper by the end. That was easier to say, because it was the truth. “I’ve held you back, stopped you from reaching your dreams while you waited for me to figure myself out. Please,” she begged of him, raising those blue eyes from the ground at last. “Please forgive me.” Taking a deep breath, trying so hard to hold back the tears that wanted to fall as she pushed him away for his own good, and not for hers, she added at the end, “You’ll always be my best friend, Kaj. How would I ever have gotten through any of this without you?”

Absently, her eyes then moved to a new spot, to Khan in the trees, trying to find solace in his feathers instead of her king’s. What else could she do? She could not give Kaj what he wanted… what he needed. She could not hold him back any longer. She was broken, it seemed. Why should she break him too?

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes

Image Credits :: Table by Time

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Kaj

comets fell from the sky

At last, a smile. The curl of her lips is a ray of sunshine, reminiscent of the title she bears, and it allows the next breath into Kaj's lungs to come easier. Perhaps whatever is wrong with her isn't permanent, is instead a change or drizzle in her day. Yet she's silent as ever, where previously she would have been exuding light from every pore, chattering on with sparks of fairy light in her cobalt eyes. Kaj did not allow his gaze to even consider straying, deviating from the contours and shadows of her delicately boned features. Awaiting any minuscule sign, tell, or giveaway that could illuminate the situation and determine what was wrong with her. Something he could fix, could understand and therefore eradicate to improve her mood. Nothing is forthcoming, however. Normally an open book, an inked page with no smudges or errant brush strokes, Kahlua is suddenly an impenetrable shell. A statue with a granite countenance. Impossible to decipher, a lost language.

Even farther away than Kaj could have imagined something being in this foreign land.

So in tune, entranced, rapt and attentive to her shifts of expression in that moment, the sudden fall of her ears to the curve of her cranium is a definitive signal to the golden steed that something has gone horribly wrong. He has not healed her, nor has he comforted the apparent offset of her joy. Instead, his words have shuttered her away from him, spooking her like a frightened deer hearing the snap of an approaching hunter treading upon a twig.

She moves away.

"Kahlua?" Regal features crumple, a mixture of confusion and hurt a cocktail drained into his pores and the shallows of his face. Feathers shift in vivid display of his emotional state, though he was never one to hide it from his queen anyways. They flare and tremble against her hide, hesitantly withdrawing halfway as if to allow her to escape his hold entirely. Unsure what she sought. Until her words cracked the air, despite the way they were spoken in such a delicate way. Revealing everything, and simultaneously throwing the king's heart into a ravine of confusion and despair. Had he pushed her too hard? Was this in some way his own fault? But the pain in his breast was tangible, it was not something he could ignore, nor was it borne of guilt for letting her down. Just plain, intrinsic pain. Simplistic in its agonizing reality.

This time, he is the one to pull away. Scorched by this awakening, this violent rip of terrycloth from his previously blinded eyes. Expressive eyes crinkle, half pain and half an attempt to find something deeper. An explanation. Surely this cannot be it? "Have I done something to upset you?" he asks, voice surprisingly unshaken despite the telling quiet of his words. "What have you held me back from? I...I do not understand." Internally, he is howling in agony, because he never understands. He is lost forever in a world of incomplete translation and dead languages, tripping constantly over social nuances until he feels like a drowning man with a thousand water-blurred faces peering hesitantly down upon him. No outreached hands for the confused king. Pity, disappointment, confusion. But he cannot allow it to be seen on his face, can't make her feel any more negative emotions. Rebuilding the old walls he'd perfected, the subtle signs of distress the only cracks in his facade.

Slowly, he pieces it together. The exact moment when her ears had pinned, her face crestfallen moments after his declaration. Eyes widen, and his face falls somber and defeated. "You do not want foals." Kaj is not incompetent. It is a statement, not a question. A shuddering sigh swells his chest, but as it sweeps from his lungs he is left slouched and as small as his looming mass can allow. "I wanted only to make you happy, Kahlua..." it's a forlorn hope, now dashed, that echoes in his lyrics. A potential there for the both of them to back away. But Kaj cannot take this sort of pain consistently, cannot want for his only wish and hesitantly wait to see if Kahlua could ever reciprocate.

If they both pulled away, Kaj didn't think he could ever try to pursue this again.

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!