the Rift

[OPEN] On the inside
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I look around and see my wonderful life, almost perfect from the outside.

Neve was beautiful. Her body is a pure alabaster and crowned with pinions that faded into icy blue. These would eventually grow to fan down her spine as she aged. Ivory wings are tipped with the same soft azure, while her tail is white and already growing far past the length of her frame. A trademark appearance of the Zephyr species. Born of ice and snow. A daughter of winter himself. Not only are my companions total opposites element wise but also personality wise as well. She is sweet, having a rather fragile and shy temperament. (Like a snowflake.) Years ago, when Fina was a fledgling she’d been (and still was) a firecracker, true to her element.

My firstborn companion stood at the rear, watching with a certain fond protectiveness as her little sister slept in the cover of feathers around my nape. We shared a soul, my heart split two ways on the inside.

The ice princess opened her eyes, a cloudy grey that resembled stormy skies just before it started to drop snow.

Our memories. Dreams. Thoughts.

I’ve traveled to the veins. For meditation and prayer. Not seeking anyone or anything – only wishing to let my words travel to heaven and by the action give myself some relief from carrying them.

“Father, give me the strength. To be everything I'm called to be.” Eyes closed, I stood at the base of his broken shrine, the cool night sky overhead. Diamond stars glittering down from above, silently watching me, watching us. “To lead them. To stand up when they can't. I'll show them I'm willing to fight and give them the best of my life.” Neve chirped uncertainly. Not understanding my words or actions, but responding to the sadness in this soul. “I know we call this our home but I still feel. Alone.”

MIDAS & FINA
I'm waking up to ash and dust

STOCK CREDITS
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

The sound of her hooves and Wynter's claws echoed over the expanse that made up The Veins. The doe's eyes were focused on the horizon, her thoughts inward; wondering what lands her daughters had vanished too. Beside her Wynter brushed against her left leg. No doubt the creature would grow to be at least shoulder height, an impressive sight for sure. Together they made quite an odd pair for outsiders to observe; Arah who wore a crown, did that make her a Queen or a performer with a spectacular costume? The ice glittered in the light from the stars above, it was nestled between her antlers and ears. Down her neck flowed her mane, the waves fell down to the ground only to be tangled within the volume of hair that made up her tail; the mass of hair trailed a meter or two behind her. The gold in her eyes flashed in the light from the diamond lit skies and her coat shone, freshly washed with the scars from her previous battles fading.

Both the mental and psychical.

Beside her Wynter took flight and Arah paused in her journey watching the lethal grace her bonded, mastered both by growing into her body and months of practice. Sighing softly the princess pressed forward once again, she did not have a destination in mind; after travelling for so long it no longer mattered where she headed because in the end she knew deep in her soul that she would always return to The Basin. That was her home, the land that sheltered her shattered family. At times she wondered why the fates decided to deal her such cruel cards that almost broke her; yet the doe had become determined to press on in her life. If her children decided they would be better off without her then she would watch from afar as they walked over the earth. For until she died, she would always be their mother; her love for them would also be eternal.

Through the bond Wynter's emotions suddenly peaked, the doe turned her attention to her outside surroundings in curiosity. The griffin was excited, urging Arah closer to the oddly shaded masses that had appeared upon the horizon. The doe changes her direction slightly and begins to make her way over to the Earth God's broken shrine, gradually she makes out the creatures that stand in front of it. A phoenix stands guard over her bonded, her plumes are bright with flames making Arah's breath catch in her throat slightly. The creature is as beautiful as the sun. Near the flaming creature stands a stallion, speaking in front of the broken shrine. The swan princess can not make out his words, only the tone of his deep voice, yet his features become more apparent the closer she gets. Immediately she is struck by his looks; a handsomely coloured pelt that gently blends from black to white and some truly magnificent wings tipped in gold that mark him as a creature of the sky.

This is not the first time she has seen him, but she can not bring up a name or memory to place him in. Instead a gentle smile paints her features and she approaches him cautiously, leaving a fair distance between them as to not be imposing the doe raises her voice. "Greetings." Her hymn was gentle, she did not wish to startle him or even sneak up upon him. "Please forgive the intrusion." Her head bows and then raises to study the luminous creature guarding him, a brilliant smile lights up the doe's face. "She is lovely." Yet to notice the newest addition to his family, Arah studies the phoenix she is quickly becoming smitten with. Wynter glides down to Arah's size, landing with an elegance she shares with her mistress. Shaking out her coat the griffin's piercing blue eyes are raised to the flaming creature as well, excitement is clear in Wynter's body language.

They mean no harm.
They are simply lost souls wondering the plains together.

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

My heart felt empty, numb, and fragile in this moment. Cool and callus as the frigid air. Everything I’d ever loved...I’d pushed aside – leaving my friends and family hungry for love, while I chased dreams. But what about us? They cried. My spirit had ignored their pleas. Ebony crown dipped lower, as if suddenly it was too heavy for me carry high any longer. Fina tightened her talons and gently nudged my mind with a tender and warm caress. She reminded me of all the good that had come of my choices and that I wasn’t truly alone – she and Neve are with me.

“Earth is with thee.” A firm reminder with small amounts of kindness. It wasn’t in her nature to be overly kind and understanding. But she felt my sorrow and was trying for the sake of our bond. For my sake.

“Aye,” I whispered aloud. Her words and Neve’s shy fledgling chortle give me a welcome wash of comfort. “Has ye ever considered courting another mare?” Fina had been there when Ktulu broke our commitment. Shredded our bond like it meant nothing. Those years had been a waste.

Though the fault was split, I felt a majority of our responsibility in contributing to why we failed. That temptress could have relinquished her title just as easily. Yet neither of us did, instead we chose to lead others over our own families.

After a quiet lapse I replied, “There had been one I thought to court,” the image of a woman flashes unbidden through my mind, I didn’t bother hiding this vision from either companion. Who are they going to tell? Nobody. Her gentle voice is a whisper and soft eyes a memory, “She belongs to another man.” Fina stared on, fixing to say something, before becoming distracted. Aqua gaze turned, she swiveled her flaming head to look at something behind us.

I stiffened subconsciously before following her gaze by looking up and around. Neve peeked a curious head higher above my swash of feathers that she’d made into a nest; curious, as was natural for a child. The ice princess was interested in seeing all that we saw (at least for a moment.) A mare, adorned with the horns of a stag and crowned by a ring of ice. Aye, and she was coming toward us. Already there is a tender smile gliding politely across her curved muzzle; the sweet looking lass bore a face that I note as lovely and beautiful to look upon. Delicate, graceful. Enough to stir any man. The perfect image of a mature female that bore both confidence and experience.

My head rose and locks of black fell across both eyes as I forcefully chase those shadows back in the vault which they’d come. “Well met,” I’m surprised by how sleek my tone sounds, despite the strain to appear welcoming when all I wanted to do was wallow in self-pity for a few hours longer. Frame turns to regard her and to also allow room should she desire a place at Earth’s shrine.

The phoenix notices that our company isn’t alone and she notices long before I do. Her stare juts toward heaven just as the beat of wings drift to my ears. A pearl colored griffin elegantly alights beside our company. It is a magnificent creature, just as refined in appearance as the one it was bonded to.

Words, that cry for my pardon. Capturing my attention and somehow teasing a frown that lingers on my face into a small but genuine smile, “There is no intrusion,” my previous moments of dread suddenly seem less important. I nod toward her companion, the mighty griffin, “Likewise dear friend,” grin widens, “I’ve only ever heard of griffins in the stories my da used to tell.” Fina fluffed her feathers, shinning ever brighter to demand all the attention.

She was used to being complimented and seemed obsessed with being fawned over. Neve lifts higher, rising from my nape to stand and look over my spine. She catches sight of the griffin and quickly sinks back down. Eyes wide and fearful. “My name is Midas,” gaze turns to the firebird, “she is called, Fina.” My silent urges for Neve to rise are unsuccessful, “Neve is a little shy.” I crane round, muzzle gently nuzzling the quiet little bundle that was suddenly wishing to play dead.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

The doe's approach caused the stag to stiffen before he turned and directed his gaze onto her form, Arah assumed that the magnificent stag must be wary of strangers. Who could blame him? After all, her own less than pleasant experiences within Helovia had caused her to move with caution and usually she was not quite so bold or even sanguine when approaching strangers. Yet it was odd, she felt as if he was a friendly soul and would not cause her or Wynter any harm. Her slender form moved closer to him as his head rose to study her, luscious strands of black locks fall across his eyes, Arah is slightly amused by this. Her own hair is dancing across her eyes yet she is not quite so capable of taming her own wildly long mane.

His sleek tone sends shivers over her pale body, yet the mere gesture of moving over to create some space for her by the shrine soothes the goosebumps and even her nevers slightly. "The pleasure is mine." She begins to make her way towards the shrine, hardly showing any attention to Wynter who had just landed. Yet through the bond Arah urged the young griffin to be cautious, perhaps the phoenix did not wish to play.

His scent soon surrounded her as she came to stand beside him, inhaling the crisp and fresh smell the doe committed the smell to memory. Her eyes flashed upwards, gazing at the stallion through her lashes as she captures the small smile that lightens up his face. Soothing her worries further that she had not interrupted any prayers of deep thoughts, Arah looks back towards the shattered shrine of the earth God, pleased at her timely arrival.

Out of the corner of her eye she catches his nod towards Wynter. His words wash over her skin, his voice is warm and comforting as it coaxes yet another smile to dance upon the fae's lips. "I had not seen a griffin before I found my bonded." Turning towards the trouble maker Arah watches as Wynter begins picking up strands of her tail, dancing through the waves of hair trying to entice the phoenix to join in the game. It was the golden tipped creature's favourite. Soon the smile turns to a gentle tinkling laugh, Arah turned away from the playing griffin, her eyes back upon Midas. "Don't let the sweetness fool you friend, Wynter can be a bit of a monster." The tone of the doe is not condemning or harsh, it is the exact opposite emotions that fill her tones.

Midas, the name certainly suited him. The golden eyes looked over the gold in his wings and in his eyes. She wondered if he knew of King Midas Phrygia, who was blessed (or cursed) with the ability to turn everything he touched into gold. Again as her sight settles upon Fina as her name is shared, the doe lights up at the sight of the stunning creature. So it was the last name that caught the doe by surprise. Movement catches the doe's golden gaze, a young create peeks out from underneath the tassles of his mane. The tiny eyes blink up before catching sight of Wynter. The griffin seems to frighten to smaller creature, Arah turns towards the playing griffin and prods the griffin through their bond. 'Gheimhridh Go leor.' The flustered griffin looks up towards her bonded with bright blue eyes, wondering why she could not continue with her game. 'Calma tú féin, tá tú scanrúil an ceann beag.' The griffin rather reluctantly ceases in her play, with a nod from her mistress however the creature weaves her way out from the folds of hair and instead wonders off wanting to tempt Fina in a game of cat and mouse. "An honour Midas, Fina and Neve." As she speaks each name the doe respectfully bows her head to each. "I am called Arah and you must already have guessed Wynter's name." As Arah raises her eyes back up to Midas she could not help the smile that lit up her face, for a handsome stranger he was rather charming.

Another breeze picked up causeing stands of hair to once again dance in front of the doe's eyes, as it settled her forelock draped over the tip of her nose. Arah as usual, ignored it. The golden gaze drifts down toward the shattered shrine, and the doe takes a moment to subtly breath in a deep calming breath, grateful for how kind Midas was. "Where do you hail from Midas?" The doe had always been apart of The Basin, it had been her first home. Yet telling others that you resided within the snowy lands sometimes brought anger down upon you. Usually the doe liked to decipher early on in the conversations if her choice of home would end up being a problem. "Wynter and I reside within The Basin. Have you been there before?" The tone of her hymn is light yet the doe knows that it could quickly become a dangerous topic, even if you are conversing with a gentleman.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

The adorned woman moves to stand beside me, accepting my invitation with confident poise that suits her attractive appearance and soft vocals. She speaks in that musical way women do, then slides toward the proffered empty space near Earth’s shrine. All the while my alabaster company offers smiles and polite returns toward our conversation. For the moment I'm not regretting this unexpected arrival.

I nod when she admits that her mystical creature would've remained a story had it not been for their bond. Dark muscles twitch higher, mimicking her grin with a soft and understanding beam. For I knew well enough, the same thing had happened with Fina and Neve. Never before had my eyes beheld the fury and magnificence of a flaming avian before I’d met Fina, and then only twice after had I witnessed wild phoenix zephyrs.

Neve shivered against my pelt. Ignoring nuzzles and sinking deeper within the folds of feathers and fur. I sigh and pull away to see the Griffin step aside, staring intently at Fina with an almost amused fixation. She trails off, weaving along the way. Fina watches, but lacks enough interest to follow and instead serves as Neve’s personal bodyguard. Truth be told my phoenix had little tolerance with anything that wasn’t me, Cera, food or a dragon.

"Aye, mine often adores praise, but cares little for company."
I chuckled at how Fina bristled and hissed, "Say true, unless its her own reflection." Those talons tighten ever so slightly, pinching flesh together painfully. Though I hardly noticed, she wasn't truly offended, nar, it was all good fun.

Neve was entirely different, not just with her elemental magic, but in personality and personal preferinces. Both had come me as orphans, an amazing experience but also a bittersweet in a realization that their ma's would no longer be of this world. It was my first time to witness a mythical bird of snow and ice. I’d heard rumor that there were other species of Zephyr. Including the dark colored one that Africa was bonded with.

Arah. A fine name. She followed with an inquiry on where I made my bed at night. Easily answered.

“Hidden Falls,”
my reply is soft, golden pools are graciously tender as I look toward her without concern for judgment or misgiving on either side of this conversation. I purposely left out my weighted title.

The taste of winter is upon her pelt and with it a familiar essence of mountain air that can only be plucked from Basin valley itself – though I’d never visited those peaks or crested the mountains to catch a visual of the greenery below, that fragrance was forever etched into my memory. It was the essence of death and a promise of betrayal. A snake was always a snake, some are just more appealing and lacked venom.

Her admission is no surprise to me, but the question which follows catches me off guard. My smile falters for a moment, confusion replaces understanding, “Nay,” I replied slowly, easing back into the conversation with a light shrug, “I’ve never had the privilege.” Surely she was aware that my ‘kind’ would never be welcomed in the folds of her family. (Even for a visit.)

“Is it a nice place?”

Perhaps the lady truly didn’t realize what had occurred between our families, maybe she was new to their ranks and had yet to learn the scorn our winged cousins received from the horned northerners.

Still. I’d hold nothing against this lovely creature, at least not until she gave good cause for such, “Ye would be welcome to visit Hidden Falls,” and my statement was true. Despite the differences of our clans, I’d never turn away a curious soul. Nar. Hadn’t Mauja, their fallen ice king, brought a basin filly to our doorstep; to which I welcomed with open wings and a healers touch.

Maybe we could mend these wounds with time. Lena had certainly showed promise.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Fina’s body bristled as she hissed a Wynter. Arah chuckled at the exchange between the two rare creatures. "Perhaps she’s also just defending her newborn sister." Turning her eyes back to Neve, Arah settled her gaze on the smallest creature. The zephyr was still tucked up under the folds of Midas’ mane, her shyness was simply adorable. Ever since her bonding with Wynter Arah had begun to experience the world differently, the bond with had children had shattered when both of her girls were still rather young, Wynter however had refused to leave her side since day one. It was the snowy griffin that held her soul tenderly, the company and companionship of Wynter that had put her back together in the end.

At the mention of his home, Arah tilted her crowned head ever so slightly scrutinising the handsome stallion before her. It had come as a surprise to her, she had been expecting him to retire in the Dragon’s Throat, after all was that not the home of the winged warriors? Then again, she did not much about the Falls and it was too early to judge the new herd that resided in there by the standards of the pasts residents. Feeling his tender gaze upon her form the doe looked up catching his gaze within her own, her own gaze is delicate; without the taint of judgement, but her expression is gently laced with confusion. "I admit I had pictured you within the Throat." He would shine against the sandy lands, his appeal had a beautiful golden tint to it. Shaking her head the doe smiled and let it pass dropping her gaze to the ground.
Insecurity filled her as she felt his gaze upon her pelt at the confession of her own choices when it came to a home. Perhaps it was too much of an ask not to be judged by where she had decided to live. Already she was outlandish to some within the the Basin’s herd, but she prided herself in the loyalty she had displayed after all this time. Yet she still did often think of changing her life style, leaving those darker days to the past.

She is winter and he is summer. Two different beings and yet they had stumbled upon each other in the home of gods, a land Arah liked to think of as neutral. Her admission of where she resided had (in her opinion) taken some courage to admit, in the past she had been judged for it, Lakota had certainly proven that in the end words where just empty promises. Watching him closely when she speaks her next words, her heart sinks slightly as his soft smile falters for a moment, confusion ripples across his noble face. At the mention of it being a privilege to visit her home the doe snorts quietly. After a moment she glances away acting as if she is searching for her missing companion. Nay, it would not be a privilege for someone like him, it would be a disaster.

His inquiry causes the doe to pause before answering. They had been honest so far had they not? "Depends." Her delicate hymn is quiet and her dainty body shies away from his, almost as if shielding herself from any rebuff. A sadness filled "There are some…" The sentence dies in her throat, there are some what? Arrogance? Distrustful characters? Unfairness? They were still her family though, still not meeting his eyes the doe chooses her words with great caution. "Difficulties." For someone with such a gentle soul, Arah felt this was the most honest way to describe her feelings towards The Basin. "I don’t agree with most things they stand for but they picked me from The Threshold." With a tinkling laugh she concludes simply. "Perhaps I am just stubborn but I’ve chosen to remain loyal." The doe knew the histories, she had been there through a few of the most recent wars, she had even attempted to fight in some. Just as she knew about the racism that was never spoken of, yet it was everywhere. Unicorn supremacy. The thought gave her no pleasure.

The next thing he said caught her quite off guard. He would allow her into his home? After all she had just admitted to? With a grin the doe nodded a few times studying Midas with a friendly gaze. "Oh yes." Excitement now laces her tones, the sadness from before had disappeared completely. With a elegant toss of her mane and her eyes alight with excitement, Arah could hardly conceal the joy she felt at his trust he decided to place in her. "I would like that Midas." Then she fell silent, inviting him to her own home was not as easy, she did not have the ability to make sure a call. Taking a moment to contemplate her next words, she speaks them carefully. "Perhaps in the future, you would be welcome to see mine." The doubt is clear in her tones, and her expression is one of disappointment in her own inability to bridge a gap between his family and hers.

Wynter’s arrival was a flurry of wings and the Griffin descended onto Arah’s back, the landing was soft and Wynter was mostly silent as she curled atop the doe’s shoulders and immediately fell asleep. Chuckling at the display of the griffin Arah shook her head and turned back to Midas. Her golden orbs sparkled as she studied him.
@[Midas]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Just as the pale one looked to be a lady of the North, preconceived notions are a hard thing to break. Yet she lures another velvet smile of polite amusement after mentioning that a desert life would have suited me. Say true, the mare was correct, "Aye, ye falls to proper footing. I was born and reared in Dragons Throat." Yar, so did this body bleed for the Throat, and sacrifice much in their name. All for the honor of blood and sand; but no longer was this soul their king, the Sultan of those lands. A son of the desert. My future lay as Czar, a representative to the god of my father. Among his thundering falls.

Her answer to my question is mixed with doubt, and what I guess as uncomfortable uncertainty. I think that it must be difficult to build a family in a land that holds little of similar ideals to your own. Arah does however, express an impressive quality that few are inclined to show, loyalty. "I'm glad to hear it," such a rare creature this lady was. She made me wonder if there was still light in the dark, twisted hearts of some Basin folk after all. Lena had been kind enough; perhaps my judgment was backwards thinking.

Maybe with enough time the Northern unicorns could change their outlook of the world and in turn see our vantage to a positive result. "There are few treasures more valuable than a loyal heart."

She is gracious as expected and accepts my invitation for a later date; I didn't expect one in return. Maybe one day these eyes would see those snowy peaks, decked out in their warm Frostfall nightcaps, "The future holds many possibilities," I glance over her face, musing to myself if she had even an inkling of a hope for such ventures in our lifetime, "Perhaps a visit to thee home is among them." It was always easier to doubt, so much more difficult to grasp at a fragile thing such as dreams.

So much like glass, it broke if bent beyond reason and once shattered -- it was nearly impossible to repairs. "If there was more such as ye," a gentle sign whelped behind my moist lips, I exhaled a cool breath and finished, "There would be little cause for wars." Tis not just a compliment, though the girl would likely take it as such. Those words are a glimpse into the ideals behind the layers of reservation. If only our world was full of reasonable folk.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Her preconceived notions about who generally resided where was hard to break. Perhaps it was harder to change the way she thought as often she was correct in the assumptions. The Throat was home to the mighty winged warriors and Midas represented everything a warrior should have; courage, wisdom, strength, pride and a good heart.
Having remained with The Basin from day one, she tried to imagine what it would be like to leave them for a new herd. Had Midas struggled with his choice? Or had there been a sense of duty? Maybe a fair maiden waiting for him on the other side. A smile curved her lips at the thought.

At his gracious acceptance of her somewhat vague answer lightened her mood once again, these seclusive beings of The Falls had a good representative for them. Again her eyes danced over his body, taking in the scars, marks, patterns and colours. The doe had met her fair share of gentlemen (and many less refined), yet something about Midas struck her differently. It was the way she had always immediately began to trust him, whenever he spoke honestly shone through his eyes and words. Arah had taken him as a man of his word, she hoped that this would not be taken for granted.
The doe doubted she would handle another breaking her trust.

Nodding in agreement to his statement the doe ponders her response for a moment, "agreed, even love can betray you." This was from personal experience, having felt the sharp sting of betrayal and the cracking of her heart. Those in power would often betray others to gain more, when you chose to give your love to someone you were ultimately giving them ultimate power over you. It was a long fall to take, an even longer climb back to the top. Arah was still climbing, it was that last little hump she had to clear before she believed that her heart was truly healed. Meeting others and having their support had definitely helped.
Perhaps she was lucky though, it was only her heart broken.
Not her soul.

It is a fragile invitation to her home, there she had very little power. Most ranked higher than her and were unaccepting those who were different to themselves. Arah hated it, it psychically drained her at times. For one who enjoyed times of peace it was a heavy burden to carry on her shoulders. Yet things were always changing, perhaps one day, one day she would be able to help lead The Basin into different times. It the result is a more harmonious world the struggle would be worth it.

His light voice picks up her attention again, drawing her back out from her thoughts. A brilliant smile lights up her face, she does indeed take it as a compliment, though she does not become giddy. Instead she once again studies Midas, she desperately wants to figure out who he is and just what his soul contains. "You are too kind Midas." After all she prided herself on having a good heart, she may not be the strongest or the bravest yet she loved.
It is then a piece clicks back into place, another part of her heals. One of her strengths was her good heart, it was what allowed her to help others.

A soft chuckle passes over her lips, with a gentle shake of her head Arah. "I am glad to have met you Midas." Not just because you can throw a mean compliment. Her eyes flicker over his as a gentle breeze dances over her hooves. "I am grateful because you have reminded me there is still good in the world." Bowing her head in a sing of respect, it is a moment before Arah rises her head again. "Thank you."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Kindness. Goodness. Mayhaps I'd spoken out of turn. How did a mortal measure others when we can't even set a ruler to own morals? Was our guideline the comparison of other wounded souls? The draw of worth based on how many sins we didn't commit in a full cycle of yon sun? We based the genuineness of a soul by the honorable or dishonorable things they'd done. But what did we know of another's strife or inner conflict?

Yar, the mass could do nothing aside from clash their teeth together in battle against foes that shouldn't stand as foe. Foam at the mouth for whores and wenches, then justify their actions with a clenched jaw full of entitlement.

I smiled, though tis a grin that feels false. The lady seemed a spotless cherub compared to the stained solider that stood before her. Yar, Arah couldn't have known my heart in these brief moments of conversation. Though I spoke with truth upon my tongue (as was schooled by a stern Da,) what did either of us know of true mercy or kindness? Goodness. "I say thank ye," tone is soft, almost a rasp. She bows to me, an unworthy spirit, yet I receive it in kind. Gaze shifts to the distant hills. My time here was coming to a close, "The eve grows short, best I return home." Crown slips low, "Long days and pleasant night to ye." Maybe a day would come that true wisdom and understanding became more than a wisp the old, wise ones chased.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS