the Rift

[OPEN] The ents go marching one by one (Joining)

Fig Posts: 57
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 5.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 :: 20 HP: 56 | Buff: NOVICE
Beluga :: Common Beluga Leviathan :: Bubble Trap Adoptable
It had taken Fig, the slow moving, heavy Lignea, an exceptional amount of time to cross from Helovia’s westernmost forest to the eastern seaboard. It had certainly taken at least two moons worth of cautious ambling. She remained keen to avoid the criminals mentioned by Ira on the island and was concerned with the whereabouts of her soul plant (and protecting the flora she passed by along the way); but most importantly, it had become apparent that she needed to find for herself a place of sanctuary – a home here in this dangerous world called Helovia.

The diluted winter sun shining above held not the same burning intensity that she was used to. In Prim’sylva, the forests which her Arborun kin mostly dwelt throughout, there was no such cold as this which coated yellowing grass in thick, wet blankets of white; no bitter wind snaked viciously to tear delicate foliage from wilting, tired evergreens; and the sunlight which fed her, fuelled both her determination and strength like perhaps the helpless grass did for the folk of this land, held the same glorious passion throughout the whole length of every year. Fig’s own canopy grew weary, harassed by wind and sudden blizzards, but she made certain to fill often with icy water whenever she found the opportunity, and for the time being she remained well intact.

Long, thick feathered legs left in her wake a deep trench, but she remained blissfully unaware, quite ignorant about the predators who stalked the four legged when their natural game lay in hibernation – Fig had never before felt the curse of prey; she did not know terror. It was hard going, ploughing on through knee high slush, but she made good progress (from her easygoing, unhurried perspective). As one day rolled into the next and then another again, she found herself by the south-eastern rim of another forest, one that she remembered fondly. Old firs, cedars and many more of their coniferous cousins rose to greet her, casting webs of shadow across the still clean, untouched snow where it lay by her hooves.

“Well hello again.” The young Lignea smiled warmly and sincerely.

“Yes, you are right. It has been many seasons since last I was here. I was called from my quest to return to Prim’sylva for a short time (or so she believed it to be).” The tireless wind stirred the pointed tips of the ancient trees and the shade danced around her. Fig assumed quickly that they were pleased to see her again and stepped at once beneath the straggliest of their lower branches - right away the snow thinned across the earth. “For...give me,” she added suddenly, grunting a little as her own lush canopy collected between theirs thus making any effort to continue a greater task than she had predicted, “I am afraid we have grown!”

And so the young Lignea continued at still a slower pace, though she was hardly unhappy to be twisted between the comforting embrace of fellow trees.

Open to any at all, and @[Murdock]
Plots | Absences | Wishlist
Please tag me in openers and spars
Permission for all except death 
(no need to ask)

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz
M U R D O C K

The skies had finally blessed the Edge with a clear and sunny day, the clouds having parted in the small hours of the morning to allow a beautiful sunrise to grace their cliffs. Murdock was up at dawn watching it, as he often was. Few things gave him as much pleasure as watching the heavens change colour, painted all kinds of warm hues as the darkness was chased away and the sun climbed up into the sky. However, he turned away from the meadow before day was completely upon them, turning his back to the light and venturing toward the forest.

Ever since the herd meeting when their leaders had issued warnings of strange occurrences, he had felt inclined to stay away from the woods. However, what good would he be doing the herd to cower in the open by the cliffs, ready to take flight at the first sign of danger? He was not an incredibly brave creature, but he was loyal to the Edge and as a Protector, it was his duty to protect. As such, he had swallowed his fear and stepped into the shadows of the forest, wandering worn paths and patrolling the edges of their land where the glass wall lay in ruin. It was not long before curious sounds drew his attention toward the boundary of their territory.

The sound of snapping branches drew him farther north, chasing the tired groans of ancient trees as something moved between their aged and scarred trunks. The frantic pace of his heart quickened with his footsteps as he made his way closer to the threshold of the forest, stepping over more jagged fragments of discarded glass. What exactly was causing this disturbance, he did not know. Though whatever it was, it was certainly large. Murdock paused in the shadows, several feet from where he could see the tips of the trees swaying as their stiff bodies were pushed about by some determined beast. Here, he waited. He did not want to be seen by this creature in case it turned out to be far too large for him to handle on his own. After all, he was tall and slender and would have been as easily pushed about as the saplings that bent in the stranger’s wake.

He did not wait long before the trespasser came into view. It was not some army of invaders or a bloodthirsty beast searching for bones to chew on, but a rather harmless looking mare. She was heavily built and strong, moving forward with careful and calculated steps through the snow while her sweet voice addressed some unseen subject. He could only assume she was speaking to the trees. He smiled softly as he watched her, recalling his own many conversations with oaks and pines and how they were always willing to listen to his complaints or keep his treasured secrets. Trees were good friends indeed.

Finally, he emerged from the veil of shadow in which he hid, pushing through low hanging branches out onto the path before her. His lips parted to greet her, but he froze in place as he noticed a large tree that seemed to be sprouting directly from her spine. Thick roots like many arms were wrapped tightly about her barrel and draped across her broad hips. The trunk, sturdy and tall, split into hundreds of branches which had become entangled in the sparse canopy overhead and slowed her progress considerably. He squinted up into the sunlight, suppressing an amused smile. He considered whether or not he ought to let her know about this growth, but chances are one wouldn’t miss such a thing as a tree growing from their back.

He lowered his gaze to her face, a broad grin splitting across his features as he dipped his head politely. “Good morning,” he stated cheerfully, feeling quite ordinary indeed before this curious blend of timber and flesh. “What brings you to the Edge, my friend?” Murdock was quick to deem her unthreatening; perhaps it was because she appealed directly to his heart and his oddities. Surely no one who cared to exchange thoughts with the forest could harbor ill intentions, and she most certainly did not seem to be on a mission to disassemble their ranks.

"talk talk talk"

maybe i like
that i'm not alright
Image Credit
x

Above all else, Fig was perhaps looking for a curious glass wall.

She could only presume that the extensive, towering structure would be quite difficult to miss, but even as the mild sun drew ever higher above she could not find it. Perhaps if the oblivious young Lignea’s focus had been scouring the snowy carpet instead of the sky her search might have been luckier. Tender green eyes were peeled and pointed upwards as she ambled between the brighter, light-filled shafts descending towards the forest floor; and she was pulling as gently as she could as she continued to snag in the meagre, woody canopy overhead.

Kahlua had explained to her (all those many moons ago), that the wall had been created by the grace of her own exertion. The young Lignea remembered well the confusion which had clouded her mind at the time - that lingered still. Fig had never forgotten! The wall was a marvel in the eyes of one so simple of course. Her kind knew nothing of grand defensive structures, magical crafts... and she recalled her amazement which followed on that day, and the astonished respect which had risen so quickly to smother everything else.

There was an overwhelming amount for Fig to discover about Helovia and its most alien culture, and it was all very intimidating.

A branch snapped unfortunately and Fig paused to apologise - a glum, guilty grimace crossing through her expression. “I’m very sorry friend.” The pine’s straggly, dry old branch was quite firmly lodged between her contrastingly healthy, lush emerald awning, and there it would stay. She would not be so disrespectful to just cast the limb aside no matter how decrepit it seemed - and there was no chance of her reaching it anyway. Face lowered, stride searching through the trees still with more care, Fig continued.

A very short time later another appeared ahead and the young creature paused to smile firstly, and then to assess. He stood taller than she (well, the half of her that looked like he did), which was a pleasant enough realization; few were in these parts. This Helovian had wings, white, neon green, and her eyes were unabashedly drawn to them - bizarre, she could not help but think. He was not the first she had come across sporting such limbs however, and she had certainly seen the diversity and colour of this land with her own eyes, sprawled out across Sky Island.

The stallion had slipped from the shadows and soon was standing across her path, light green eyes travelling (it seemed), everywhere else but her face. She was never bothered; in fact, Fig took the moment with him to inspect further his form. Like her, he was bathed in green accents, and it brought mild comfort to see another that resembled (even if a little awkwardly), herself. The heavily built Lignea’s thick, bushy mane was tinged green like the leaves which adorned her – as did the hair in her knotted, tangled tail, and those dressing each leg enmass as well. Her eyes were a much darker shade than his, but still, the green and the black which they shared between them was a lovely touch.

At last they met, face to face, and thoughtfully Fig sighed.

“Good morning!” She answered his greeting cheerfully, her pronunciation long and slow, and she was delighted by the civil nature of his unexpectedly well appointed tongue. Feeling quite content, and pleased all the more with her decision to return to these parts, the cumbersome creature continued. “I am Fig. Some months ago (a great deal longer than that...) I came to the Edge of the World with Kahlua, and I have returned at long last – well, I am trying very hard to find it indeed...” She smiled warmly, curious and hopeful that he might be able to point her in a more direct direction.

@[Murdock]
(no need to ask)

Gaz
M U R D O C K

She greeted him cheerfully in turn, her voice slow and thoughtful like the gentle sway of the trees in the wind. When she spoke of Kahlua, he immediately knew she was a friend. “A pleasure to meet you, Fig,” he bowed his head to her, offering a welcoming smile. “I am Murdock, Protector of the Edge. Your search may come to an end here as you have found our lands!” Shards of glass were scattered here and there in the snow, jagged edges just barely visible through the blanket of white that had settled upon the forest. What was left of the wall marked the edge of their territory, though to newcomers their boundaries were likely ambiguous.

In the silence that followed, Murdock resumed his study of the mare. That is what she was, after all…right? Or was she more tree than horse? The plant that grew from her back appeared to be the type that produced fruit, though exactly what kind, he was not sure. Was it a burden to have such a weight towering over your head? Or a blessing? He supposed it provided portable shelter, which was handy indeed. Also, it could be a source of food if one could not find anything to eat. Or would that be cannibalism…

His lack of knowledge of this mare made him ever curious to know more about her, to know exactly what she was, but even with his limited social skills he knew it was not polite to outright ask such a question. He settled upon labeling her as interesting, someone to be followed up on and learned about when the opportunity arose. Surely they could become good friends, what with their shared companionship with the forest, and if she were here to join the Edge, he would likely be seeing more of her.

He settled his gaze upon her face once more, his smile returning before he spoke. “Have you come to join us, miss Fig? I am sure you would be most welcome.” He turned away from her slightly, stepping back onto the worn path and waiting for her reply. If she did wish to join them, he would lead her toward the heart of their land on the path. It would make the going easier for her as the trees leaned away from the narrow road and her branches would not get so tangled in amongst the arms of the forest. If she did not, however, he would help her in any other way he could.

"talk talk talk"

maybe i like
that i'm not alright
Image Credit
x

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor the Gentle Heart

Many times I’d found myself wandering aimlessly about the Edge with no real intentions of settling for conversation, company, or otherwise. As a purple morning lit the land before dashing away in the face of a yellow afternoon, I meandered solemnly along the outer borders in hopes of finding a bit of peace and quiet, of which had fled from the Edge’s heart hoping to also find sanctity from the chaos. With spring approaching, most of my family had begun preparing and celebrating the impending warmth of the color season. Greens and pinks and reds would once again flourish across the Edge and the sea would delight in the descent of the cold as she playfully pushed against the rocky cliff in hopes of catching our attention. The idea soothed my heart as I slowly navigated the frosted path ahead, now well-worn from the warriors and their patrols.

However, my distracted mind did little to guard me from stumbling upon the song of quiet voices wafting through the trees at the entrance of the Edge and without any real rhyme or reason I followed them to their origin. I hadn’t planned on spending my day with companions but even now, with the intent to intrude, I was still quite delighted to find Murdock –my newest friend- among the small company. I trilled happily to the stallion before offering a hearty, “Greetings Murdock. It’s nice to see you again.” It hadn’t been long since I’d last seen the pale-winged stud, but I was enthusiastic nonetheless. His presence was something of a comfort to my lonely soul and I was nothing short of grateful for his ability to hear my woes and accept me as the man I was. But he was not alone and when my gaze desired to stray to his companion, I was mildly shocked by the animal before him.

A gypsy woman with a flowering fig plant upon her back was not something I witnessed every day, but out of curtesy for our guest, I was careful to mask my interest in her peculiar extension and instead offered her a warm smile. “Welcome dear. Being that I’m late to the party, might I be so humbled to know your name?” It was hard to face her directly with my attentions so wholly averted to the tree perched symmetrically between her shoulders, but after a moment of deliberation and confusion, I finally turned my deep brown eyes to her face (and one of overlooked beauty at that). “I’m Thor, Specter of the Edge.” My voice was soft and inviting as I lingered hesitantly before the mare like a frail willow in the wind. I was certain that one of my companions would be able to enlighten me as to why the mare had found her way to our borders, but I did not find it a necessary topic to be discussed directly because it appeared that they had only just made introductions as well.

As my thoughts drifted into the quiet of oblivion, I pondered why it was that I thought the mare to be unusual in the wake of my own decomposing appendages. They were still a source of pain and served to remind me of my encounter in the Steppe… one that I wished to forget if only to erase the agony humming softly through my shoulders and back. I had grown accustomed to the tenderness and the pain, but it appeared to me that the wings would be lost altogether now… However, something in their decaying made me… exultant? Happy? Overjoyed? I would no longer be the stallion with the fragile wings... No, instead I would simply be Thor and there was something in that, that soothed me. Curious eyes would never see me as an oddity again… I would be normal.

But I still had a ways to go… The bone of my wings, now exposed, had grown brittle and chipped. The feathers had gone weeks ago and now most of the flesh had sloughed away as well, revealing only the delicate wingspan at its core. The nakedness and vulnerability had kept me within the safety of the Edge but I’d felt better than I had in weeks. The swollenness in my stomach had receded and the faint black smoke that often permeated the open wounds at the base of my appendages lingered no more. To say that I was changing would be a great understatement, but at least there now lay a light at the end of the tunnel; or so I hoped.

With all thoughts of my transformation aside, I focused once more on the gypsy girl and Murdock, still more intrigued by her state of living than the transition occurring in my own life. After all, even if I held the torch in my own thoughts, she held the spotlight in reality.

Go on, save yourself
@[Fig] @[Murdock]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Her large black head bounced gently as Murdock introduced himself with a civil dip of his face and a hospitable smile that seemed only to warm his dark, masculine appearance – a protector no less, amazing. In Prim’sylva the Lignea had no reason for such titles and roles. There were no wars or conflicts and there were certainly no defined territories to guard; it was only in the fables and tales woven by the elders of her homeland that such frightening, fascinating customs (greed, resentment) existed. Subconsciously she drew a deep breath, and a mild tickle of excitement bubbled through her core. Such a revelation made her all the more certain that finding sanctuary in this alien world of death (the murderer had yet to be caught), and destruction was her greatest decision yet.

“Oh?” She queried quietly when the well-natured man suggested that her search was finished. For a moment her gentle green eyes slipped from his reassuring gaze to view beyond, to guess just where the Edge was hidden beneath the careful cover of timber and thick foliage. In all honesty she was lost, and though her roving, questing eyes did suddenly find the chance shimmer of sharp broken glass peeking from the blanketing snow, Fig was more than glad for the company who had come down along the trail to find her. “It is a fine thing you are here Murdock. I would never have guessed it!” She giggled and the sound slipped from her curling lips like the tender, slow lullaby of a magpie settling to roost.

A brief, natural silence settled upon them, though it was anything but awkward.

Fig found herself wondering if Resplendence had found her lover in the time this journey home had taken, whether she would be lurking in the shadows like the very first time they had met. She thought suddenly to ask Murdock if he had seen Quilyan in passing, or about the Gods of Helovia, but she held not enough nerve while they were still learning about one another; building the foundations of trust which the young, pure-hearted tree-girl had discovered to be a thing not wholly respected throughout the tides of Helovia. It was a strange place indeed, but those who she had come across from the cliff-top forests Murdock watched so vigilantly (she was sure), had offered nothing but kindness.

The pale-winged stallion spoke again, and Fig met his smile with one that mirrored the humbleness of her soul. “Yes, please, if your family will have me. I would very much like to help in some way if I can...” she answered more eagerly than even she had expected, and again soft mirth gurgled into the cold air between them. As Murdock stepped delicately away, the trusting girl moved in turn to follow, but in the same moment another thicker, larger, (poorly?) horse came upon them.

Fig gasped accidentally, unobtrusively, but the breath choked in her throat. She could do little to curb the disturbed confusion which lifted through her expression.

As the unfamiliar stallion approached (his mood a darn sight healthier than his appearance apparently), the confronted tree-girl fought to quell her unease and a smile pulled at her quivering lips. The heavy, sprawling canopy above her swayed uncertainly in the drag of the wintry wind as she thought to move closer to Murdock, the Protector of the Edge; she did not though, and soon discovered that the pair were on quite friendly terms.

But what awful fate had this mahogany Pegasus been dealt?

Respectfully she held her tongue while initial greetings were exchanged and when the sickly looking man addressed her soon after with a friendly smile, the concerned girl gave up her name. “Fig... It is very nice to meet you Thor, Specter of the Edge.” Perhaps nice was not quite the right word, but he seemed lovely enough – and genuinely so. The tension beneath the clever cloak of flowing roots began almost instantly to melt away, though Fig found it more difficult to pull her eyes from the flaked ivory protruding crudely from each of his large, sloping shoulders. She meant not to appear rude, but never had she been so exposed to the decomposition of flesh – it was obviously more horrific than the harmlessly rotting wood in Prim’sylva’s cycle of life.

Unfortunately, Fig was lost for words...

[Linds - I hope I captured Thor appropriately. Please, correct me where I’m wrong and I’ll fix this post :) ]
(no need to ask)

Gaz
M U R D O C K

He was pleased to have found someone on this cold and lonely day, and a friendly face no less. He had not often, or rather never, encountered new recruits and so he was not sure how to go about the initiation and acceptance into their ranks. However, like many other things, he would just have to wing it. She seemed to need little coaxing, though, and surely as they made their way toward the heart of the herd lands, someone else would happen upon them and offer their knowledge and assistance, thus relieving Murdock from using his brain.

He smiled warmly in response to her exuberant reply, a cheerful laugh spilling from his lips. “Of course! There is always a place for those who will aid us in achieving peace.” He stepped aside, hooves skimming across the powdery surface of the snow as he turned toward the trail. It was a path often taken by those who dwelled in the Edge, and as such it had been well packed and trees and brambles did not crowd its winding length. The mare moved to follow him deeper into the heart of the territory, but after a moment, she hesitated.

He glanced over his shoulder, seeking her gaze and following it beyond silver trunks to the dark and towering figure with a familiar face and a warm greeting preceding him. “Thor!” He called out brightly, his voice betraying his excitement. In all his life, Murdock had made few friends and kept fewer still. He had been the odd child in his fleet, and even as an adult he had never quite fit in. His relationships were restricted to business and conversations often ran in circles with nothing much accomplished. Thor, however, had put up with him and even seemed to enjoy his erratic and distracted company; something the young Protector had not often had the delight of experiencing.

“What a pleasure to see you again, my friend,” he dipped his head to the Specter, stepping aside as the larger stallion’s gaze found the curious tree-girl and he made his introductions. He couldn’t help but notice, however, that Thor looked different…unwell. His wings, or what little was left of them, hung limply at his sides and looked very little like the miniature, feathered appendages they had once been. They appeared to be decomposing, consumed by some rot and sloughing away until they would soon disappear altogether. His brow furrowed in worry as he studied the raw wounds upon Thor’s flesh, but he said nothing. It would be best left to discuss another time and not in the presence of their new recruit.

He glanced back at Fig, having noticed her unease upon the Specter’s arrival. He offered a reassuring smile, taking a step further down the snow-dusted path. “Come, we’ll show you around,” he offered, moving in the direction of the meadow and the sea and leaving the shards of the glass wall behind. “What duties would suit you best, do you think? We have all sorts of positions…philosophers, craftsmen, sleuths, protectors, nurses...anything you like. Or, you can think on it if you’d prefer. No need to choose right away,” he cast a smile over his shoulder, breathing in the cool air with renewed energy in his bones.

"talk talk talk"

maybe i like
that i'm not alright
Image Credit
x

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor the Gentle Heart

That look- that look of perverse fear, though discouraging, no longer assumed a place in my heart as it had when I was but a colt. I did my best to return the mare’s attempt at amiability though, despite the fact that I could see right through her façade. Murdock had been more forgiving upon seeing the state of my well-being, but I could do little to quell the felling of guilt that capsized my former good mood. I was not fond of “striking fear into the heart of others” even if I had no real connection to said foreign party. So instead, I did my best to keep conversation light and perhaps a little biased…

It is very good to see you again too friend. Have you been well?” For a moment I was content to avoid the tree-topped mare in favor of regaling the winged warrior with my concerns for his welfare. However, her presence was becoming something too heavy for me to ignore so I returned my attention to her with a slight wince. “Infection is taking them my dear. They’ll not bother you much longer…” I tried to smile as graciously as I could for a man in such a fickle situation before nodding sweetly at the mare who called herself Fig. How ironic that a creature boring a sapling in full bloom atop her backside would find a pair of wings to be so disturbing.

We all had our qualms though... Rotting flesh just so happened to be hers.

It is of a great pleasure that I have met you as well Fig. I assume you come in search of residence here in the Edge so allow me to be the bearer of good news- welcome to the family.” A chivalrous grin curled my lips upward in a genuine fashion; it was nothing like the feigned half-smile Fig had seen a moment ago. I did not want any sister of mine to feel unwelcome or threatened by a first impression… after all, the illness would fade and she would see beyond the sickly flesh a most formidable creature. It was hard to accept myself in such a state but time was supposed to heal all wounds so I was hopeful that it would also mend my failing sense of dignity.

Before my thoughts could wander too far, Murdock steered the mare away from the “elephant in the room” and toward the sprawling swells of the Edge. I allowed him to lead her away from the glass wall, still quite ominous in its state of disrepair, before falling in close behind. It was a welcome change to be the outsider of the traditional “rank” speech because it was often such a monotonous thing. However, Murdock’s vigor and excitement for it made me believe that he was in fact made for a position of guidance. I was certain that he’d spoken those words a time or two and yet he still possessed the ability to make it appear natural. I was glad to call him my friend if only to admire his fantastic enthusiasm and I knew that Fig would be in very capable hands with that young stallion at the helm… However, I didn’t feel the need to stray just yet so I trailed along quietly in their wake.

Go on, save yourself
@[Fig] @[Murdock]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

It took all of her will, but soon enough Fig drew her wide green eyes free from the horror of the stallion’s naked, frail bone. They fell instead across dark moving lips, and her focus began then rather quickly to return. Thor welcomed her graciously, a gesture that saw the shocked confusion dissolve entirely from her transparent expression, and the velvet wrinkled between the soft breath from her nostrils as she smiled brightly. Gently she flipped the thick veil of black, leafy forelock so that her gaze might find more politely the eyes of the newer stallion. “I thank you! That is good news” She replied, glancing briefly to Murdock who was waiting patiently by, and her sweet, slow tone bore the trill of soft laughter.

Fig was never one to assume the worst based on appearance, and certainly the elders had given warning of such terrors before she had even left Prim’sylva. They know not peace and wellness like the Lignea... she was told gravely, ...and it is up to you to teach them, guide them and above all else liberate them so that nature may not feel the curse of their cruel, uneducated existence any longer.

The spiritual tree-girl hummed thoughtfully, optimistically, and turned to follow Murdock whose encouraging perspective she valued enormously.

Enormous (though uncannily delicate) hooves picked a path through the sheet of white as close to the green-eyed Protector’s prints as they could manage. It occurred to Fig as he spoke casually and candidly about the duties on offer, that she knew next to nothing about the function of herds like this which had welcomed her so warmly; and she answered a little bashfully with ears turned courteously to listen for any note of Thor’s rich voice behind. “I shouldn’t think I would make a very clever protector...” Careful eyes considered the lithe looking frame ahead – narrow enough hips and legs that she imagined could turn with dexterity that she would never know. Murdock was handsome, even from the angle at which she watched him; unusual, alien.

There were three titles that she felt more inclined to than the rest (perhaps because she had a weak understanding at least, about what each might be responsible for) – nurses, craftsmen and philosophers. Immediately she felt drawn to concept of nurse; the Arboruns were natural menders after all as the plants upon them bore fruits that could heal the mind and the body. That would have been the natural choice, though she clamped tightly her brash tongue between pearly white teeth quickly to delve deeper than that initial inclination.

Murdock turned midstride to smile, and Fig offered the same again (with growing fondness), to Thor. The canopy above began to thin (or the trees grew at last, to allow each other more space) and Fig was grateful that her own branches did not tangle so snugly with the forest like they had before. It certainly made the final leg of her journey more comfortable.

With little regard for time and patience, the young Lignea stewed on in silent thought.

Kahlua had been a crafter, Fig knew – she had built the brilliant glass wall whose glinting fragments peeked here and there from beneath their snowy blanket. The idea of such an ability both fascinated and terrified her however and she set to rest the tickling desire to be able to wield that power. At least for the time being... “Philosophy interests me greatly,” she crooned at last, respecting that such a position might be her best chance to learn of the lore of Helovia and World’s Edge. She could not forsake the wish of her elders. Perhaps once a better understanding of this culture had been obtained, she might then be able to feed the beliefs of the Lignea into minds as hungry as her own.

“Yes. There is much I seek to learn about your... our, culture...” It was no secret that she was not like them – that she had come from shores many moons away - and Fig giggled girlishly, humbly as her swinging, modest stride continued without hesitation.
(no need to ask)

Gaz
M U R D O C K

Murdock dipped his head in affirmation at Thor’s question; thanks to his new friend, he had come across unexpected enthusiasm and determination to better his life. Not that it was exactly in a poor state now, but he could do better, couldn’t he? He faced each day with gratitude for the daylight and excitement for what he might be able to accomplish before night fell. Perhaps with enough hard work, his efforts would pay off and he would be rewarded with a higher title, something that would prove his dedication and devotion to his new home in the Edge.

He did not return the question to Thor, however, as he answered unspoken words with news of an infection that had consumed what at one time had been his wings. The Protector eyed them sympathetically, pitying his companion though he wondered whether the dwarfed appendages were more of a burden than a gift. Murdock knew that if he was in such a situation, he would be devastated. He would be lost without the ability to fly, without the freedom to play among the clouds and watch the sunset from a thousand feet up.

He turned away without another word, a last sympathetic glance settling upon Thor before he directed his attention down the snowy path toward the sea. From here, you could not hear the playful waves crashing against the cliffs or the roar of the water swelling against the rocks; the trees muted the ocean’s song yet the faint scent of salt lingered in the cold air. He admired the frosted branches and snowy canopy as he led the tree-mare and the former King deeper into their lands, rambling off enthusiastically about the ranks available to the newcomer as he picked his way down the snowy trail.

He smiled brightly as she expressed interest in becoming a philosopher. It was something he had often dreamed of doing, if he hadn’t been primed for battle since birth and if he had the sort of attention span required to perform any sort of research. Such a position would suit her perfectly, though. “Then a philosopher you shall be!” He responded cheerily, offering a grin over his shoulder. She would most certainly be a beneficial addition to the family, and he certainly hoped their paths would cross often.

"talk talk talk"

maybe i like
that i'm not alright
Image Credit

(Just thought I'd get one last post in!)
@[Thor] @[Fig]
x