the Rift

self preservation [open]

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

P H A N T O M

In all the years Phantom had spent in Dorngarrow she had never thought that she would, one day, leave it behind. Those who left were often loathed and seen as traitors because why would they leave when Riekahn had so successfully beaten down any and all opposition? War after war had been waged and he and his kin always emerged victorious. So Why leave? To Phantom the answer was simple. The end of Riekahn's reign was coming, or so she was convinced. He had been in power for far too long, had slaughtered far too many 'enemies'. One could only hold onto power for so long before it began to slip away, one delicate strand at a time. When the time came for his downfall she did not want to be in Dorngarrow or anywhere in the vicinity. Call it cowardice if you will, but Phantom preferred to call it self preservation.

For several months she had traveled, each day leading her farther and farther from her homeland. Each day she felt a weight on her shoulders lighten, the tenseness in which she had grown accustomed to grow fainter and fainter. Part of her felt free, though she knew that she would never be free of Dorngarrow. The bloodshed would always follow her wherever she went, just as it followed everyone in their family. Why else would they all be marked with red? It was to remind them of the countless lives they had ended, of the bodies they had stepped on to reach the pinnacle of their power.

She was not a heartless being as some may have thought her to be. She did not like to kill, but she did so because she was ordered to. Defying Riekahn's orders was futile and he had proven as much time and again. Treason was not tolerated and while Phantom was not a heartless killer she was also not treasonous.

At least she hadn't been. Now she wasn't so sure.

She halted as a forest loomed ahead of her like some great beast that should be feared. That made two of them. One behind her mercilessly slaughtering anything that stood in his way and one ahead of her filled with unknowns. She only had to make the choice of which beast she would rather face. After a moment's hesitation Phantom stepped into the forest, preferring the unknown to Riekahn.

Phantom had come to realize some time ago that her sire was probably completely mentally unstable. She suspected that was what made him such a brilliant tactician and warlord, she could not take that away from him. But after years of doing his bidding she found that she didn't want to be like him. Not completely. His drive was something to be admired, as was his passion, but that was all. She would not lie and say that she loved her sire because that concept was foreign. He had not raised her as a father might raise his children with love and support. In her eyes he had been little more than a dictator creating offspring to use as pawns in his game of war.

Several minutes passed before Phantom finally stopped and began to take in her surroundings. There were many different scents crisscrossing the forest in no resolute direction. It seemed that the forest was more than just a forest of unknowns, but a gateway to even greater unknowns. She didn't know if she should be excited or fearful and so she settled on an in-between of passive as she began to move once more.

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

[Image: 3999923.png]

[Image: 9e6b3ad4-a8c4-4003-bd66-cb75589c58e6_zps...1415597174]

Bucephalus was in a rather good mood, despite the biting cold. He pranced through the trees of the Threshold, head high. The winter reminded him of an old tale from a hero in his homeland. It was a song he held close; it fit him all too well, far better than even his name. Well save the encounter.

"She came to me one morning
One lonely Sunday morning
Her long hair flowing
In the midwinter wind

I know not how she found me
For in darkness I was walking
And destruction lay around me
From a fight I could not win

She asked me name my foe then
I said the need within some men
To fight and kill their brothers
Without thought of love or God

And I begged her give me horses
To trample down my enemies
So eager was my passion
To devour this waste of life

But she wouldn't think of battle that
Reduces men to animals
So easy to begin
And yet impossible to end
For she's the mother of all men
Who counselled me so wisely then
I feared to walk alone again
And asked if she would stay

Oh, lady, lend your hand outright
And let me rest here at your side
"Have faith and trust in peace," she said
And filled my heart with life

There's no strength in numbers
Have no such misconception
But when you need me
Be assured, I won't be far away

Thus, having spoke, she turned away
And though I found no words to say
I stood and watched until I saw
Her black coat disappear

My labour is no easier
But now I know I'm not alone
I'll find new heart each time
I think upon that windy day
And if one day she comes to you,
Drink deeply from her words so wise
Take courage from her as your prize
And say hello from me."

Song finished, he simply slipped into a hum, recanting the tune to the tale. A ghostly form caught his attention, and he sped up his trot to chase after the figure, quickly approaching so he slowed to a walk, then a stop. This mare had a mane and tail fit to rival that of Morrigan's, and it was with some amusement that he dipped his head to her. "Hello there. My name is Bucephalus, of the Dragon's Throat herd. Might i ask your name?" He asked, tilting his head.

Her coloration appeared normal, but the splashes of red around her hind ankles intrigued him, he found it fascinating. But to avoid scaring the mare off, he returned his golden gaze to her red ones, noting once more a similarity to his previous recruit. "And do you have anywhere to stay?" He asked, genuinely curious, his ears cocked towards her. He may be biased towards the desert; he was born and raised in one, after all, but he thought the desert far better than that of any frozen forest or the icy mountains or the Edge(although this was founded on ignorance, he had never been to any of the herd territories.)

Word Count:258(Didn't count lyrics) Tags:000

Please tag Bucephalus in all posts.
Any force is allowed against short of death.

Pixel by Aud

Vale Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
VALE

He had come down from the mountains, from the cold icy winds and equally cold stares of the Basin. Letting his hooves drum the song of a restless hunter on the treacherous frozen paths. What his prey might be he had no idea, but boredom had forced his hand and his golden eyes blazed forth as he took to the lands, sleek limbs stretching in speed. Some inner voice turned his crown towards the dark limbs of the Threshold, sensing unseen souls lurking between the heavy boughs and hoping with a smile something the dark boy could play with.

The snow hid most of the noise of his passage but not his path, but it didn’t matter he moved with a steady patience, these souls would come to him. Without surprise his ears flicked towards the source of a tune sung without care and the wolf grinned in delight. His golden eyes fixing onto two figures in conversation, it was time he made himself known especially seeing as the Pegasus had neglected to mention to the obvious newcomer of the other herds, his in particular.

“Stay? Why would you want to stay in just one place? There are many great places to see in Helovia”

His gaze flicked lazily over the mare, completely ignoring the other male, indifference plain on his cocky face. She seemed capable; her pale form built strong and lean, the crimson curling horns marking her “sister” to his own jagged crown atop his dark face. He wondered whether he should offer her a place in the Basin, he was unsure if he even had a right to but when had the rules ever bothered him? And besides she was attractive enough the least it would do would provide some relief to his restlessness.

“What wings here forgot to mention was that there are other herds you might want to join, mine for example. I’m Vale, from the Aurora Basin at your service” He dips his crown in an elaborate bow, casting a quick glance at Bucephalas the hunter added in an undertone.

“It’s a ‘Unicorn’s Only’ club” and winked. He relaxed back onto his haunches content to sit and wait for it to all play out.

“Care to join me?”

"Talking"

@[Phantom] @[Bucephalas]

Table Credit From the lovely Sevin

Image Credit

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

You look so familiar...

It seemed that time again. Why was it Frostfall always found his hooves wandering to the same places, his instincts waiting to usher others in? Another day, and another trip to the Threshold found Torleik's gaze and audits flicking about, searching, feeling as though he was not alone in these trees.

But where did the presence hail from?

Irelyn was too lazy to take to the skies today and sat on his back, head down, lulled into a trance by the rhythmic beat his body took as he searched. A flash of white and red made his breath catch in his throat, and the General suddenly quickened his pace, a flash of annoyance forming a bright color through his bond with his companion. He'd jostled her and she wasn't thrilled with that. But the prospect of seeing Ophelia and getting to play with Tinek soothed some of her frustration.

But as the Bloodskald's steps drew him closer, he knew instantly this was not his pale and crimson princess. Disappointment flooded his heart, but that was no reason to ignore this wandering soul. So, the dual-horned stallion drew closer and found, to his dismay, a pegasus already there. They were ever-present in this place, it seemed; but what interested him, and irked him, more was another unicorn who was speaking rather brashly about life.

Clearing his throat, the larger, older, more highly ranked stallion cast a displeased glance at this...Vale...and added words of his own. "While that may be the crux of the matter, I can assure you not all of us find the Basin and its contents adequately painted by such careless brushstrokes," he said pointedly. "I am Torleik the Bloodskald, General of the Basin. What is your name? You...remind me of someone I know," he offered. "Your coloring...perhaps you two are related." Was this another of Ophelia's family? A child of Paladin? A cousin, perhaps?

He was intrigued.

@[Bucephalus]
@[Vale]
@[Phantom]

"talk talk talk"

Art by valerie911 @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

ali

P H A N T O M

Phantom had not moved very far when she picked up on a masculine voice filtering through the frozen trees. It was very odd, she found, that someone would be singing in a forest, willingly drawing attention to themselves. The voice grew louder for a moment then began to fade, making her stop and turn to look in the direction she had come. Several seconds later she could hear the sound of snow crunching under hooves. When he finally appeared she simply tilted her ears forward, watching the pegasus intently. Had they been in Dorngarrow she, more than likely, would have been given the order to attack and kill. The poor fool would have never seen it coming, she thought, as he asked for her name after introducing himself.

The mare said nothing as the inquiry of if she had a place to stay was posed then promptly interrupted by another stallion. At first he seemed to hold no ill intent, his question seemingly innocent. It was the way he conducted himself, however, that made Phantom begin to dislike him. The cockiness, the obnoxious way in which he carried himself made her raise her head and narrow her crimson eyes. Her gaze remained fixed on the unicorn as he called the pegasus 'wings' in a manner that she thought was wholly disrespectful. "I believe he referred to himself as 'Bucephalus.'" She responded. "Though if you insist on using physical features rather than names as an identifier I think I will refer to you as 'Bonehead.'" She thought that 'Weasel' would suit him as well, though that thought she kept to herself even as he made it clear that his home was only welcome to unicorns. It made her wonder just what kind of land she had stumbled in to after leaving Dorngarrow behind.

Before she could respond another stallion entered the fray, immediately addressing the weasel's comment. She spared a glance at him before her attention was pulled back to the bearded man as he introduced himself as a General of the 'Unicorn's Only Club.' "I am Phantom. If your friend hails from Dorngarrow then it is possible that we are related. I have many siblings who have decided to make their homes elsewhere." She turned her attention to the first stallion that had approached her. "I would like to know more about your home." She said to the pegasus before looking at Vale. "And you. Why is it that your home is only open to unicorns?"

@[Bucephalus]
@[Vale]
@[Torleik]

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs
[Image: 3999927.png]

[Image: 3999923.png]

[Image: 9e6b3ad4-a8c4-4003-bd66-cb75589c58e6_zps...1415597174]

Oooo this one had fire. Bucephalus flashed the other stallion a wide grin when the mare corrected him. This turned out to be an amusing trip indeed. His smile was gone the moment the mare finished, replaced with the friendly curiousity he had before.

His gaze flicked up, and ears pricked as another unicorn came forward, this one a General. The title sent chills through Buce's blood. He knew what a General was all too well. But once more, the pale Phantom caught his attention, and he turned his head towards her. "I'm not the best at explaining things, so bear with me." He said, ears flicking back for a second. "The Dragon's Throat is a desert surrounded by water save for the land bridge that connects us to Helovia. There's mostly pegasi, but unicorns and horses are welcomed as well. I haven't been there long myself, but the folk are rather friendly." He said, head tilting as he pondered whether or not he had explained the Throat well enough.

"Admittedly, i intend to recruit you for Dragon's Throat, as have those two for the Basin." He gestured to the two unicorns with his head. "Myself and a equine mare are the two newest recruits to the Throat, so you wouldn't be alone in learning the ins and outs of the herd." He said, amused once more.

Word Count:227 Tags:@[Phantom] @[Vale] @[Torleik]

Please tag Bucephalus in all posts.
Any force is allowed against short of death.

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

What will you choose?

Torleik snorted when this mare called the other unicorn bonehead, amused at her tart nature. In some ways, that very much reminded him of Ophelia. She introduced herself as Phantom and then spoke of a land called Dorngarrow, one the Bloodskald had never heard of until now. "I know not of this Dorngarrow of which you speak," he stated, "but it could very well be the land from which the mare I know hails." He was not sure if it was prudent to mention Ophelia's name, and so kept it to himself for now. The pegasus involved complied with Phantom's request to explain more about his herd, but the general could not allow this...imbecile that represented the Basin thus far answer when she queried of the unicorns why their herd was of a single species.

"No doubt many would answer because the unicorns think themselves superior to other species," he said, cutting a sharp and utterly silencing look towards this Vale character. The young needed to know when to hold their tongues. "And I am sure there are many in the Basin who believe that. I am not one of them. I would answer, instead, that the Basin herd has been led by those who profess this...narrow-minded view of ultimate supremacy for so long that it is force of habit to remain isolated. It seems to work well," Torleik said with a wry smile, "because many assume the worsts in unicorns here anyhow."

Shrugging, the General of the Basin affixed Phantom with a calm, open gaze. "Every place will have its pitfalls, its unsavory characters. I hope to make the Basin a better place than it is now. If you had any inclination to help me in that endeavor...I would greatly welcome your presence among my herd," he murmured honestly.

"talk talk talk"

@[Phantom]
@[Vale]
@[Bucephalus]

Art by valerie911 @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

ali

P H A N T O M

The winged stallion explanation of his home was marginal at best, but it was understandable when he explained that he was new as well. It did make her wonder, though, if they made a habit of sending newcomers who knew next to nothing about the ins and outs of the herd they were trying to recruit for. He said little that garnered her attention or desire to want to join a herd on what was essentially a desert island. It seemed rather dull, in her opinion, and dull became boring and boring became the devil's playground.

Before the Bonehead could answer the question she has posed to him the General cut in. Her head turned and she gazed at the stallion, listening quietly as he gave part of an answer she had been expecting. What she did not expect was for him to continue on and admit to that he thought it was narrow minded and that he was not among them. This interested her greatly and so she tilted her head. "I've come across many who claim to be superior." She replied. "But very few have actually earned the superiority that they claim to have. In Dorngarrow unicorns are the superior race and have been for ages. My father has commanded his army and won war after war, committed countless genocides all in the name of superiority." She had served as his pawn in many battles, had slain her fair share of pegasi, but in her heart she did not hate them and want to see them annihilated . She was merely fulfilling her duty, the reason for which she had been born.

Phantom's gaze remained steady as Torleik continued, but he had managed to capture her attention fully simply by offering her a purpose. She could not exist without having something to strive for, someone to serve. It had been drilled into her time and again that she was nothing more than a puppet. That need to serve had her wanting to immediately accept Torleik's request that she join him even though she knew little about him. For all she knew he could be lying to her and planning to start a genocide of his own. Either way it would matter little to her, so long as she could be useful. "What would you have me do?" She questioned. Bucephalus had been forgotten, but as she moved her head she caught a glimpse of him. "I am sorry." She apologized. "But I do not think your herd will suit me properly. I wish you luck in your endeavors."

@[Bucephalus]